Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » As we edge towards the enactment of the A50 Bill Nicola has ju

Comments

• Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,319
    edited March 2017
    Scott_P said:

@MarcherLord1: Superb. Corbyn and McDonnell have voted the #Brexit bill through unamended and are now marching in protest against it.

But the Commons only voted today to overturn the Lords amendments (with Corbyn voting against).

The Commons did not vote on the "unamended bill" again - they didn't have to.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,079
    Bojabob said:

CD13 said:

If the Scots vote for independence from the UK and rejoin the EU, it will be at great cost to them. We could build a glass wall across the border so we can watch them in their EU prison uniforms begging for crusts.

For the sake of Auld Lang Syne, I'd throw then a few Euros.

It is not clear to me why a certain group of unionists ares so determined to be crass, uncivil neighbours following an independence vote. It somewhat undermines the emotional case for the union.
    It's the same reason there has been some real bitterness in the EU toward us - resentment of those who seek to leave that which they care about. It's human nature, and the hope is diplomats and negotiators can keep cooler heads in the event these things happen, and don't need to play to the home crowd too much.
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Yorkcity said:

The Conservatives in parliament are totally united you have to hand it to them .They show no qualms which is doing well in the polls.

Parliament has proven to be spineless. We have a ruling party with a large percentage of xenophobes, scoundrels and throwbacks, an opposition that is lost gazing in its own navel, an ineffective third party waiting for the voters to flock to its banners and a collection of other flotsam & jetsam.

Frankly, I am not sure that Westminster (and by implication the UK) is saveable.
    I don't understand what your objection to a Conservative government is. You wanted it, pre-2010, and now you've got it. Theresa May and her Cabinet aren't by any means extremists.
    Pre 2010 we had Gordon running up massive debt and a labour govt that was riven by factionalism. They were wrecking the country

Read what I wrote more carefully. I did not say that May was an extremist but that her party had a sizeable number of them. They are wrecking the country
    You should try living in a country where the ruling party really is full of extremists. You might come to appreciate your own country a bit more.
    Sorry - I do not want to live in the USA
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763

Bojabob said:

CD13 said:

If the Scots vote for independence from the UK and rejoin the EU, it will be at great cost to them. We could build a glass wall across the border so we can watch them in their EU prison uniforms begging for crusts.

It is not clear to me why a certain group of unionists ares so determined to be crass, uncivil neighbours following an independence vote. It somewhat undermines the emotional case for the union.
    Because the relationship has never been one of equals in English eyes
    oh gawd must you parade your inferiority complex again
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,005

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Yorkcity said:

The Conservatives in parliament are totally united you have to hand it to them .They show no qualms which is doing well in the polls.

Parliament has proven to be spineless. We have a ruling party with a large percentage of xenophobes, scoundrels and throwbacks, an opposition that is lost gazing in its own navel, an ineffective third party waiting for the voters to flock to its banners and a collection of other flotsam & jetsam.

Frankly, I am not sure that Westminster (and by implication the UK) is saveable.
    I don't understand what your objection to a Conservative government is. You wanted it, pre-2010, and now you've got it. Theresa May and her Cabinet aren't by any means extremists.
    Pre 2010 we had Gordon running up massive debt and a labour govt that was riven by factionalism. They were wrecking the country

Read what I wrote more carefully. I did not say that May was an extremist but that her party had a sizeable number of them. They are wrecking the country
    You should try living in a country where the ruling party really is full of extremists. You might come to appreciate your own country a bit more.
    Mrs C is from Northern Ireland :-)
    Compared to Sinn Fein and the DUP the Tories are bleeding hearts.
  • Options
    Toms said:

I believe I predicted a new ScExit referendum soon after the BrExit one.

Lots of people did. It would have come regardless eventually, we can only hope enough people believe in the UK union to fight for it again.
  • Options
    Lords Division on Amendment 1 (EU Nationals).
  • Options

Brexit = Boring
    Sindy = Boring

Well, repetitive and gut churning at any rate.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Yorkcity said:

yes I;m struggling with her argument too
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Chelsea 1 up against ten men Man Utd.

• Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,756
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

isam said:

chestnut said:

Why assume that the SNP/Yes side will win?

They were not even close last time. They lost by eleven points. They are absolutely miles behind in the polls with all the prime voter groups at the moment.

The only reason we are listening to the interminable neverendum agenda of Sturgeon is that the unionist vote has been fractured in the 2015 election in particular, but slightly less so in 2016.

It's about unionist collaboration and co-operation now.

It's because the people who lost the EU ref can't accept defeat and now want Scotland to win independence so they can blame Brexit

It'll be something else next week
    Also, they see Scotland as the new Sweden. The one part of the UK that has a permanent left-wing majority.
    Even Sweden has a few centre right governments and Scotland voted Tory in the 1950s, Wales is actually more consistent in voting for leftwing parties than Labour, even if the Tories do better there than Scotland now and it voted Leave
    https://twitter.com/Sunil_P2/status/598497117380939776
    Wales has not voted Tory at any general election over Labour since universal suffrage I believe, Scotland voted Tory in the 1950s
    Wales has been trending right since 1970, though (1987 and 1992 excepted). On current polling, the Conservatives would do better in Wales than the national government did in 1931.
    Wales is certainly at least now more rightwing than London
    https://twitter.com/Sunil_P2/status/600283502966345729
    Outer London skews the figures a bit more right, inner London is certainly leftwing outside of the most expensive bits and even those all voted Remain. Yet even on your chart the South, the East, the Midlands, the Northwest and Yorkshire were all more rightwing than London, London was more rightwing than the Northeast by less than 1% and the latter voted Leave
    We have the right sort of left wingers in the north east. None of your latte sipping hand wringers from my part of the country.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Yorkcity said:

:)
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    edited March 2017
    Charles said:

Does it bother you he's probably right?

If the only thing standing between us and lucrative trade deals is a posh boat, we really are fucked.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    kle4 said:

Toms said:

Lots of people did. It would have come regardless eventually, we can only hope enough people believe in the UK union to fight for it again.
    My heart agrees. As has been pointed out, by SeanT and others I think, Sturgeon may be playing a game of political "Go" that may at least soften BrExit.

In the recent words of Trump, things are complicated.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

isam said:

chestnut said:

They were not even close last time. They lost by eleven points. They are absolutely miles behind in the polls with all the prime voter groups at the moment.

The only reason we are listening to the interminable neverendum agenda of Sturgeon is that the unionist vote has been fractured in the 2015 election in particular, but slightly less so in 2016.

It's because the people who lost the EU ref can't accept defeat and now want Scotland to win independence so they can blame Brexit

Also, they see Scotland as the new Sweden. The one part of the UK that has a permanent left-wing majority.
    Even Sweden has a few centre right governments and Scotland voted Tory in the 1950s, Wales is actually more consistent in voting for leftwing parties than Labour, even if the Tories do better there than Scotland now and it voted Leave
    Wales has not voted Tory at any general election over Labour since universal suffrage I believe, Scotland voted Tory in the 1950s
    Wales has been trending right since 1970, though (1987 and 1992 excepted). On current polling, the Conservatives would do better in Wales than the national government did in 1931.
    Outer London skews the figures a bit more right, inner London is certainly leftwing outside of the most expensive bits and even those all voted Remain. Yet even on your chart the South, the East, the Midlands, the Northwest and Yorkshire were all more rightwing than London, London was more rightwing than the Northeast by less than 1% and the latter voted Leave
    We have the right sort of left wingers in the north east. None of your latte sipping hand wringers from my part of the country.
    you wipe the froth of a pint of warm bull's semen from your beards as you plan your next coal mine

and thats just the ladies :-)
  • Options

Labour’s Brexit spokeswoman Baroness Hayter tells the House that her party will not be supporting Lib Dems' attempt to insist on their amendment.

She says that the amendment was rejected by the elected house and adds that it is clear "the government is not for turning".

Seems pretty straightforward and reasonable. Rather shows the politicians who erupted in hysteria at the Lords sending the amendment to the Commons to be either idiots or grandstanding, or grandstanding idiots.
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138

Labour’s Brexit spokeswoman Baroness Hayter tells the House that her party will not be supporting Lib Dems' attempt to insist on their amendment.
    She says that the amendment was rejected by the elected house and adds that it is clear "the government is not for turning".

Isn`t that amazing ! We have a Conservative-UKIP dictatorship in power, and they are opposed by the Quisling-Labour Party!
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Charles said:

If the only thing standing between us and lucrative trade deals is a posh boat, we really are fucked.
    well were no longer allowed to bribe people
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    chestnut said:

Alistair said:

chestnut said:

Alistair said:

Time to brush off Lord Ashrcroft's post referendum polling

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/sep/20/scottish-independence-lord-ashcroft-poll

Key takeaways:
    39% of Yes voters decided in the last month compared to 19% of No Voters. 63% of No Voters always knew - which translates to the 35% Hard core Unionists I've postulated on.

EU membership was an important issue for 1 in 6 No Voters.

47% of No voters identified risk of going it alone as the key issue of their No vote from the 3 options given.

http://lordashcroftpolls.com/2014/09/scotland-voted/

"Just as the “silent No” voters produced a bigger margin for the Union than recent pre-referendum polls had anticipated, some said they would keep their decision to themselves. One in seven No voters said they would be reluctant to tell their friends, family or colleagues how they had voted."

It is folly to imagine that 'soft Brexit' will appease the nationalists.
    Or to put it another way 86% of No voters were happy to tell friends, family or colleagues how they voted vs 89% of Yes voters.
    The datasets are interesting.

Support for Yes up among under 35s and C2DEs in the four polls presently running (Yougov, Panelbase, Ipsos, BMG) but down among over 35s and among ABC1s. (using Ashcroft as a base).
    They don't vary a huge amount from Ashcroft but I like to use the Scottish Referendum Study as my baseline as it is a bit more rigorous

http://www.scottishreferendumstudy.com/

http://centreonconstitutionalchange.ac.uk/sites/default/files/Scottish Referendum Study 27 March 2015.pdf
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    Alistair said:

I believe they are calling it the Republican WealthCare Bill.
    "They"? You, now, on PB, is the first time I've ever heard the phrase.
  • Options
    SaltireSaltire Posts: 525
    Sturgeon calling for the indyref now has a feeling of being rather rushed, it is by no means certain that she will be on the winning side and certainly it is along way from when the talk was of waiting until the opinion polls showed a constant lead for Yes before they would call for a 2nd referendum.
    Personally I think that it is highly irresponsible of the SNP to hold a 2nd referendum just now. They will be asking the Scottish public to decide between a status quo that will very uncertain since we will have no practical experience of living in post-Brexit Britain and asked to compare that with an even less certain independent future with probably a completely unknown relationship with both rUK and also the EU.
    It would be much better to wait until we had lived through Brexit for a few years and have a much better idea of how it has actually impacted on the country rather than having to guess. If Brexit is a disaster then I'm sure that Yes would win comfortably and if Brexit is a success then there is a reasonable chance that the SNP would not be in position to call the referendum in the first place.
    Part of the reason why I think they have decided to go for it now is that they know that they might not have the votes in Holyrood in the next Parliament and it is harder to have a referendum in 2020 or 2021 due to a GE and Holyrood elections.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Scott_P said:

Charles said:

That's not what he said, and it's not what I said either.

But do not let yourself be put off by the facts.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    some bloke weve never heard of and who doesnt post here

have you got any opinions of your own ?
  • Options
    Toms said:

kle4 said:

Toms said:

My heart agrees. As has been pointed out, by SeanT and others I think, Sturgeon may be playing a game of political "Go" that may at least soften BrExit.

In the recent words of Trump, things are complicated.
    Indeed. Speaking personally, while I would be emotionally devastated by Scotland leaving the UK, it has seemed for a long time like it is going to happen at some point. Brexit looked like precipitating a confrontation about it, but not doing it would not have killed the issue either. If it would have, I would have voted differently.

This does rather mean the Scots generally rather have anyone who thinks like me by the balls. I would be willing to accept a great many things to not have to go through another Sindyvote, or to ensure a No vote when it happens.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

isam said:

chestnut said:

Wales has been trending right since 1970, though (1987 and 1992 ernment did in 1931.
    you wipe the froth of a pint of warm bull's semen from your beards as you plan your next coal mine

Funnily enough, there are plans for a new coal mine- an open cast near the Northumberland coast. Not a universally popular proposal. For one thing, with all of the coal fired power stations shutting down or converting to wood, what do you do with the coal?
  • Options
    Amendment 1 (EU nationals) defeated:

For - 135
    Against - 274

Government win.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited March 2017
    GeoffM said:

Alistair said:

I believe they are calling it the Republican WealthCare Bill.
    "They"? You, now, on PB, is the first time I've ever heard the phrase.
    https://twitter.com/hashtag/wealthcare?f=tweets&vertical=news&src=hash

You should probably get used to it.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    Saltire said:

Sturgeon calling for the indyref now has a feeling of being rather rushed, it is by no means certain that she will be on the winning side and certainly it is along way from when the talk was of waiting until the opinion polls showed a constant lead for Yes before they would call for a 2nd referendum.
    Personally I think that it is highly irresponsible of the SNP to hold a 2nd referendum just now. They will be asking the Scottish public to decide between a status quo that will very uncertain since we will have no practical experience of living in post-Brexit Britain and asked to compare that with an even less certain independent future with probably a completely unknown relationship with both rUK and also the EU.
    It would be much better to wait until we had lived through Brexit for a few years and have a much better idea of how it has actually impacted on the country rather than having to guess. If Brexit is a disaster then I'm sure that Yes would win comfortably and if Brexit is a success then there is a reasonable chance that the SNP would not be in position to call the referendum in the first place.
    Part of the reason why I think they have decided to go for it now is that they know that they might not have the votes in Holyrood in the next Parliament and it is harder to have a referendum in 2020 or 2021 due to a GE and Holyrood elections.

Well said.
    I just hope Sturgeon's hasty decision doesn't put off too many investors or worse still encourages businesses to up sticks and head south.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,324
    Bojabob said:

CD13 said:

Dumped bloke syndrome.

'No one will want you, you ugly bitch, you'll never find someone like me, I MADE YOU!'

And so on.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

For - 135
    Against - 274

Government win.

Where have they all gone - is it past their bedtime
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

isam said:

chestnut said:

Wales has been trending right since 1970, though (1987 and 1992 ernment did in 1931.
    Outer London skews the figures a bit more right, iy less than 1% and the latter voted Leave

Funnily enough, there are plans for a new coal mine- an open cast near the Northumberland coast. Not a universally popular proposal. For one thing, with all of the coal fired power stations shutting down or converting to wood, what do you do with the coal?
    burn it prresumably

or sell it to Londoners as art
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Scott_P said:
    She can argue that not all Unions are the same, and economically, culturally and politically some are more significant than and qualitatively superior to others. In fairness, that is more difficult by her acting like there are no negatives at all to come from Brexit, but we know she does not believe that, because her personal belief is that whatever the negatives of the EU we should have remained, but for obvious reasons acknowledging even if Brexit is, as we all hope, a success, there will be at the very least short term costs, has not been high on her priority list.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,010
    MikeL said:

For - 135
    Against - 274

Government win.

2nd amendment :D
  • Options
    Charles said:

do not let yourself be put off by the facts.

Brexiteers never do
  • Options
    They should tell her she's made herself unsuitable for the role otherwise anyone she regulates who makes a mistake will 'Do A Hogg'

The future of Charlotte Hogg, the recently appointed deputy governor of the Bank of England, was in the balance on Monday as a parliamentary committee prepared to release a critical report about her suitability for the post.

MPs said the unanimous report by the Treasury committee would only just fall short of recommending she did not get the role. “Not in those words — but it reads the same way,” said one.

The committee is waiting to see whether Ms Hogg will tough it out or abandon her candidature, according to those involved in the discussions. She was formerly the chief operating officer at the Bank.

https://www.ft.com/content/07b53282-0816-11e7-97d1-5e720a26771b
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Yorkcity said:

I have no party loyalty. I vote for the party that looks like doing the least damage whilst governing. Given the current options I am out of choices. I believe that the current policies are destroying the UK and it seems I am supposed to be happy about this just because everyone else is.
  • Options

MikeL said:

For - 135
    Against - 274

Government win.

Lab abstaining - or at least Lab front bench abstaining.
  • Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185
    Scott_P said:
    And Sturgeon has to do the versa of the visa. With a few more uncertainties thrown in, I'm a remained but at least the leavers knew which currency they would use.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    GeoffM said:

nunu said:

Trump care is dead. CBO estimates 14 million Americans will lose healthcare next year!!!!!!!!

Multiple exclamation marks are the sure sign of a troubled and unstable mind.
    Just saying.
    We should give Gibaltar to Spain during Brexit as a nice gesture.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,145
    Who are the four Independent MPs ?

Simon Danczuk - who I assume voted with the government
    Sylvia Hermon

Is Ian Lavery without the whip ?

And who else ?

SNPers with financial 'issues' ?
  • Options

some bloke weve never heard of

You've never heard of Michael Deacon?

What a sheltered life you must live
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

isam said:

chestnut said:

Outer London skews the figures a bit more right, iy less than 1% and the latter voted Leave

burn it prresumably

Burn it where? As I said, there soon won't be any power stations to burn it in.
  • Options

MikeL said:

For - 135
    Against - 274

Government win.

They made their point about what they think is the best approach with the first vote - they are not willing to defy the elected chamber on it, but that does not mean they are going to vote against that which they support to let it through. I presume.

Bojabob said:

CD13 said:

Dumped bloke syndrome.

'No one will want you, you ugly bitch, you'll never find someone like me, I MADE YOU!'

And so on.
    When you leave I will still like you, so please forgive the nasty things I will say in the immediate aftermath
  • Options
    BojabobBojabob Posts: 642

Scott_P said:

Brexit will be awesome. How can it fail with these folk in charge...

@aljwhite: Boris Johnson has quite literally just told the house of commons that a new royal yacht will help us attract trade deals

Perhaps the theme tune to Howards' Way should be the new English national anthem.

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,632
    edited March 2017

Bojabob said:

CD13 said:

Dumped bloke syndrome.

And so on.
    I was thinking of incorporating The Human League into an upcoming PB thread.

'You were working as a waitress in a cocktail bar
    When I met you
    I picked you out, I shook you up
    And turned you around
    Turned you into someone new
    Now five years later on you've got the world at your feet
    Success has been so easy for you
    But don't forget it's me who put you where you are now
    And I can put you back down too.'

Obviously the headline will be 'Don't EU want me?'
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Alistair said:

chestnut said:

Alistair said:

chestnut said:

Alistair said:

Time to brush off Lord Ashrcroft's post referendum polling

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/sep/20/scottish-independence-lord-ashcroft-poll

Key takeaways:
    39% of Yes voters decided in the last month compared to 19% of No Voters. 63% of No Voters always knew - which translates to the 35% Hard core Unionists I've postulated on.

EU membership was an important issue for 1 in 6 No Voters.

47% of No voters identified risk of going it alone as the key issue of their No vote from the 3 options given.

http://lordashcroftpolls.com/2014/09/scotland-voted/

"Just as the “silent No” voters produced a bigger margin for the Union than recent pre-referendum polls had anticipated, some said they would keep their decision to themselves. One in seven No voters said they would be reluctant to tell their friends, family or colleagues how they had voted."

It is folly to imagine that 'soft Brexit' will appease the nationalists.
    Or to put it another way 86% of No voters were happy to tell friends, family or colleagues how they voted vs 89% of Yes voters.
    The datasets are interesting.

Support for Yes up among under 35s and C2DEs in the four polls presently running (Yougov, Panelbase, Ipsos, BMG) but down among over 35s and among ABC1s. (using Ashcroft as a base).
    They don't vary a huge amount from Ashcroft but I like to use the Scottish Referendum Study as my baseline as it is a bit more rigorous

http://www.scottishreferendumstudy.com/

http://centreonconstitutionalchange.ac.uk/sites/default/files/Scottish Referendum Study 27 March 2015.pdf
    Thanks.

Interesting to read their findings as I've worked on ESRC funded research contracts in 2013 and 2014.

On one occasion, on some EU related work, I was asked if I worked for UKIP by some doubtful interviewees. :smile:
  • Options
    nunu said:

GeoffM said:

nunu said:

Trump care is dead. CBO estimates 14 million Americans will lose healthcare next year!!!!!!!!

Just saying.
    Not ours to give unilaterally even if the suggestion is serious, aren't we officially committed to not entering into arrangements without their consent?
  • Options
    PClipp said:

Isn`t that amazing ! We have a Conservative-UKIP dictatorship in power, and they are opposed by the Quisling-Labour Party!
    Isn't it good news?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,010
    MikeL said:

MikeL said:

For - 135
    Against - 274

Government win.

Politically perfect for the Lib Dems tbh :)
  • Options
    kle4 said:

nunu said:

GeoffM said:

nunu said:

Just saying.
    Not ours to give unilaterally even if the suggestion is serious, aren't we officially committed to not entering into arrangements without their consent?
    We give Gibraltar to Spain in exchange for the Spaniards to publicly say they will veto an independent Scotland's membership of the EU.
  • Options

Daniel Hannan thoughts on NI...

The challenge he faces is the one faced by any politician when change is proposed: the losers blame the government, the winners take their gain for granted. That challenge is exacerbated by the sheer weirdness of having National Insurance as a parallel income tax masquerading as something else.

The solution, surely, is to call NICs what they really are, and let people see quite how vast the actual tax rate is. It would make the system easier and cheaper to administer and, more to the point, it would create popular pressure for lower rates. Is that really such a terrible thing?

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/scrap-national-insurance-so-people-can-see-just-how-much-tax-they-really-pay-1611228

I agree, but are people really so dim that they actually believe NI is some sort of government-mandated Christmas savings club?

Rhetorical. I know the answer.
  • Options
    Saltire said:

Surely this is key.

SNP doesn't even have a majority now - they only just scrape over the line with the Greens.

Any fallback at the next Holyrood elections and they couldn't call another referendum.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited March 2017

Saltire said:

Well said.
    I just hope Sturgeon's hasty decision doesn't put off too many investors or worse still encourages businesses to up sticks and head south.
    I hope the the opportunity for not-brexit doesn't encourage too many English businesses to up sticks and head north.

Which is a more likely consequence, IMO.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

Britain Elects‏ @britainelects 2h2 hours ago

"Should there be another #IndyRef held prior to the Brexit negotiations being concluded?"

Yes: 39%
    No: 49%

(via BMG / 23 - 27 Feb)

A very old poll, FWIW, and does not show VI.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Nate Cohn‏Verified account @Nate_Cohn 19m19 minutes ago

Trump voters get hammered under the law's tax credit changes. It'll be interesting to see how that plays https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/10/upshot/why-trump-supporters-have-the-most-to-lose-with-the-gop-repeal-bill.html?action=click&contentCollection=upshot&region=rank&module=package&version=highlights&contentPlacement=6&pgtype=sectionfront … pic.twitter.com/HOiKcvAVTf
  • Options

kle4 said:

nunu said:

GeoffM said:

nunu said:

Just saying.
    We give Gibraltar to Spain in exchange for the Spaniards to publicly say they will veto an independent Scotland's membership of the EU.
    Why would we want that?
  • Options

Bojabob said:

CD13 said:

Dumped bloke syndrome.

And so on.

When I met you
    And turned you around

Presumably the waitress in question is from another EU member state and is now being threatened with deportation by the Conservatives?
  • Options
    edited March 2017

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Yorkcity said:

Pre 2010 we had Gordon running up massive debare wrecking the country
    I have no party loyalty. I vote for the party that looks like doing the least damage whilst governing. Given the current options I am out of choices. I believe that the current policies are destroying the UK and it seems I am supposed to be happy about this just because everyone else is.
    Not at all, but remainers seem to have sunk into a narrative that

everything about Brexit is bad
    anything bad that happens is a result of Brexit

usually expressed in emotive language

In truth it's much too early to say, more likely we'll be pretty similar to what we are today but just a bit different

I voted Leave but I certainly expect there will be some things we will lose along the way. However on balance I expect me and my children to end up better off.

• Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    It would be difficult to find a more loathsome politician than Nicola Sturgeon. Her voice grates like nails on a blackboard, and she speaks as though she speaks for Scotland, which of course is 100% untrue.

Sturgeon should be told that blackmail will not work.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,476

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Yorkcity said:

I like your Sinn Fein flag, Bev :lol:
  • Options
    Is this true, did she really say this:

' Joanna Cherry (SNP, Edinburgh South West) raised the temperature yet further by quoting a Lithuanian constituent who had told her this country is now “worse than Lithuania under the Soviets”. '

http://www.conservativehome.com/thetorydiary/2017/03/andrew-gimsons-commons-sketch-england-is-the-mother-of-brexit.html
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

MikeL said:

MikeL said:

For - 135
    Against - 274

Government win.

Politically perfect for the Lib Dems tbh :)
    Do parties really accrue much political benefit from what goes on in the upper house? I feel like "our Lords did x when Labour lords didn't" doesn't have that much resonance.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,324

Bojabob said:

CD13 said:

Dumped bloke syndrome.

And so on.

When I met you
    And turned you around

I'll enjoy imagining all the Brexiteers with Phil Oakey fringes.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Saltire said:

Surely this is key.

SNP doesn't even have a majority now - they only just scrape over the line with the Greens.

Any fallback at the next Holyrood elections and they couldn't call another referendum.
    Spot on.
    Sturgeon has felt the ground shifting beneath her feet and in a panic has jumped into a ravine.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

nunu said:

GeoffM said:

nunu said:

Just saying.
    Why would we want that?
    Scotland has oil and secret oil fields = Lots of tax revenues for The Treasury

I'm not sure what Gibraltar brings to the UK, if the Spaniards are blocking a good Brexit deal, we might have to give them Gibraltar as a bribe, or realpolitik as they call it.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Lord Pannick telling off the Lib Dems - he's not voting for Amendment 2 this time.
  • Options

Bojabob said:

CD13 said:

Dumped bloke syndrome.

And so on.

When I met you
    And turned you around

I haven't had that much hair for 30 years.
  • Options

MikeL said:

Saltire said:

Surely this is key.

Spot on.
    Sturgeon has felt the ground shifting beneath her feet and in a panic has jumped into a ravine.
    Oh yeah, she seems really panicky at a move which if rejected will lead to a surge in support, and a vote which, when held, they have at worst a good chance at winning.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

isam said:

chestnut said:

Even Sweden has a few centre right gd it voted Leave

burn it prresumably

Burn it where? As I said, there soon won't be any power stations to burn it in.
    speak to the DUP, theyll get you a subsidy
  • Options
    Can anyone explain to me why Manchester United spent £89 million on Paul Pogba, he seems a very expensive Eric Djemba-Djemba
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

Bojabob said:

CD13 said:

Dumped bloke syndrome.

And so on.

When I met you
    And turned you around

Together In Eccentric Dreams
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Bojabob said:
    » show previous quotes
    If your neighbour is threatening your family, that is awful, and I sympathise. Your neighbour is guilty of a serious crime. I'm not sure what his nationality has to do with it.

That's what I thought when i told the police,the police laughed it off ,the reason he was drunk.

The situation is tense between us.

Bollocks what nationality had to do with it,it had everything to do with it,it was the custom where they come from what the argument started over was what he told the police.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Scott_P said:

some bloke weve never heard of

You've never heard of Michael Deacon?

What a sheltered life you must live
    Thats rural Warwickshire, we just stay close to our livestock
  • Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

nunu said:

GeoffM said:

nunu said:

Just saying.
    Why would we want that?

I'm not sure what Gibraltar brings to the UK, if the Spaniards are blocking a good Brexit deal, we might have to give them Gibraltar as a bribe, or realpolitik as they call it.
    Yes, but that presupposes that Spain having promises such a thing would prevent Scotland from voting out, which I doubt. Not least because they could argue it might take longer but they'd get in eventually. France vetoed us and then things changed.
  • Options

Is this true, did she really say this:

' Joanna Cherry (SNP, Edinburgh South West) raised the temperature yet further by quoting a Lithuanian constituent who had told her this country is now “worse than Lithuania under the Soviets”. '

http://www.conservativehome.com/thetorydiary/2017/03/andrew-gimsons-commons-sketch-england-is-the-mother-of-brexit.html

I'm no fan of the SNP, but they're surely not as bad as the Soviets.
  • Options

Bojabob said:

CD13 said:

Dumped bloke syndrome.

And so on.

When I met you
    And turned you around

If you don't use that in an upcoming thread header, then I will.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,211

Can anyone explain to me why Manchester United spent £89 million on Paul Pogba, he seems a very expensive Eric Djemba-Djemba

The FA will be happy with this result. I'm sure that has nothing to do with the sending off.
  • Options
    Bojabob said:

Daniel Hannan thoughts on NI...

The challenge he faces is the one faced by any politician when change is proposed: the losers blame the government, the winners take their gain for granted. That challenge is exacerbated by the sheer weirdness of having National Insurance as a parallel income tax masquerading as something else.

The solution, surely, is to call NICs what they really are, and let people see quite how vast the actual tax rate is. It would make the system easier and cheaper to administer and, more to the point, it would create popular pressure for lower rates. Is that really such a terrible thing?

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/scrap-national-insurance-so-people-can-see-just-how-much-tax-they-really-pay-1611228

I agree, but are people really so dim that they actually believe NI is some sort of government-mandated Christmas savings club?

Rhetorical. I know the answer.
    Trust me they do.

Huge numbers of people really do think that NI pays for the NHS, welfare state and state pensions.

Which is why governments increase NI rather than income tax - people actually think that the increase in NI will mean that their own pension pot will be increased.
  • Options

Which of you is going to use "If at first you don't secede" ?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,014

Bojabob said:

CD13 said:

Dumped bloke syndrome.

And so on.

When I met you
    And turned you around

A Post Brexit Joxit Requiem

Before he leaves the camp he stops
    He scans the world outside
    And where there used to be some shops
    Is where the snipers sometimes hide
    He left his home the week before
    He thought he'd be like the police
    But now he finds he is at war
    Weren't we supposed to keep the peace?
  • Options
    edited March 2017

MikeL said:

Saltire said:

Surely this is key.

Spot on.
    There is nothing to stop the Libs, Lab and Tories doing a deal to stand aside in individual Westminster constituencies. They only have three MPs to lose between them.

The SIndys have 44% of the vote but 95% of the Westminster representation.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,690
    Oh dear. Lord Taverne just dropped in Hitler and Mussolini.
  • Options
    SaltireSaltire Posts: 525
    Also when it comes to changes in the vote from last time it is hard to imagine that the turnout will be any higher than the 85% that was achieved last time and indeed it might well be lower next time. It is one of the big challenges that face the YES camp is to get normal non-voters to turnout again. There is also likely to be a number of Yes voters who will not want to re-join the EU if that is desired future for the SNP and they may abstain rather than vote for either option. I think that it is likely that the nationalists will rule out re-joining the EU in the short term to try and keep their coalition together.
    The big decline in Labour's fortunes in Scotland over the last 3 years will not make it any easier for the NO camp and the apathy towards the current direction of that party make may them less likely to vote.
    Also it makes the next 2 years (Really not looking forward to that length of a campaign) critical for the SNP government not to make a bigger mess of things than they already are at Holyrood. It will be interesting if the Greens are now much more likely to support them than they currently do since they will be on the same side again.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

The FA will be happy with this result. I'm sure that has nothing to do with the sending off.
    This is going to be a very interesting semi final draw.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,014
    edited March 2017
    How many clips are there of people from both sides saying the last vote was once in a generation?
  • Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

nunu said:

GeoffM said:

nunu said:

Just saying.
    Why would we want that?

the stone age didnt end becasue we ran out of stones and the oil age will end long before we run out of oil
  • Options
    chestnut said:

MikeL said:

Saltire said:

Surely this is key.

Spot on.
    There is nothing to stop the Libs, Lab and Tories doing a deal to stand aside in individual Westminster constituencies. They only have three MPs to lose between them.
    They might all have very little to lose by trying it, but Lab and Con at least probably harbour dreams of turning Scotland into a two party system between them and the SNP, so have little incentive to stand aside I would guess.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

MikeL said:

Saltire said:

Surely this is key.

Spot on.
    Oh yeah, she seems really panicky at a move which if rejected will lead to a surge in support, and a vote which, when held, they have at worst a good chance at winning.
    I doubt most Scots would resent a rejection by May, they'd most likely welcome it with a deep sigh of relief. Indyref2 would be won easily by No and spell the end of the Nats.
    Sturgeon's playing politics badly since she's put herself in a lose/lose position.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited March 2017
    http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-eu-nireland-idUKKBN16K28E

"Northern Ireland's largest Irish nationalist party Sinn Fein on Monday said it wanted a referendum on splitting from the United Kingdom "as soon as possible", hours after Scottish First Minister Nicola Sturgeon demanded a new independence vote."
  • Options
    Saltire said:

Also when it comes to changes in the vote from last time it is hard to imagine that the turnout will be any higher than the 85% that was achieved last time and indeed it might well be lower next time. It is one of the big challenges that face the YES camp is to get normal non-voters to turnout again.

There is also the challenge of No for the same (some of them at any rate will have been No supporters), and also ensuring in general No voters are as enthused to come out as last time.
  • Options
    Pong said:

"Northern Ireland's largest Irish nationalist party Sinn Fein on Monday said it wanted a referendum on splitting from the United Kingdom "as soon as possible", hours after Scottish First Minister Nicola Sturgeon demanded a new independence vote."

lol

what diid you expect them to say ?
  • Options
    Pong said:

Cad a iontas.
  • Options
    Pong said:

I want doesn't get.
  • Options
    Pong said:

Shocker
  • Options
    SeanT said:

MikeL said:

Saltire said:

Surely this is key.

Tempting for TMay to say the SNP cannot call a referendum during Brexit (which is true) then drag out the Brexit *transitional arrangements* til, ooh, late 2021.

Then "allow" indyref2.

TMay might just be the kind of flinty bitch that would do that. No man would dare.
    You think UKIP and Tory Brexiteers will find that acceptable?
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,476

Bojabob said:

CD13 said:

Dumped bloke syndrome.

And so on.

When I met you
    And turned you around

LEAVE IN SILENCE
  • Options
    isam said:

How many clips are there of people from both sides saying the last vote was once in a generation?

As many as there are of the "No" campaign saying that the only way to guarantee Scotland's membership of the EU was to vote "No".
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Saltire said:

Also when it comes to changes in the vote from last time it is hard to imagine that the turnout will be any higher than the 85% that was achieved last time and indeed it might well be lower next time. It is one of the big challenges that face the YES camp is to get normal non-voters to turnout again.

There is also the challenge of No for the same (some of them at any rate will have been No supporters), and also ensuring in general No voters are as enthused to come out as last time.
    Ipsos have some likely to vote numbers.

The frailest are the young and among renters. Both are Yes friendly.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Which of you is going to use "If at first you don't secede" ?
    Already planned.

Spoiler: I'm calling Theresa May the modern day Lord North
This discussion has been closed.