Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » As we edge towards the enactment of the A50 Bill Nicola has ju

12346»

Comments

• Options
    OUTOUT Posts: 569
    fitalass said:

There is genuine anger and dismay here in Scotland at Sturgeon's announcement today, we do not want go through another Indy Ref campaign. A lot of Indy Ref No voters who also voted to Remain in the EU Ref, did not do so for Sturgeon to then use that second vote to try to void their first in the 2014 Indy Ref!!

There is genuine delight and hope here in Scotland today.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,189
    Roger said:

kle4 said:

Artist said:

Personally I think the SNP will do well to even get near the wave of inspiration they created last time. Massive rallies, Yes posters everywhere, non voters and young people coming out to vote in their droves, social media bombardment, armies of volunteers knocking on doors. Are the Scottish Nationalists going to be motivated enough to do all that again? I can't see it, there was something fresh and organic about the original movement that can never be replicated.

They have a core of dedicated support for independence that will ensure massive rallies and posters will be much in evidence, I am sure. As for the young coming out in their droves again, well, the young are presumably still very much in favour once again, and I imagine the point will be made that to fail once is a setback, but to fail twice, with the backdrop of Brexit? That might mean no other chance even in a young person's life. If the young don't turn out as they did last time, they can only have themselves to blame if they whinge about it for 50 years.

Night all. It's going to be a long few years.
    They've got a stronger cause this time. Last time it was a few years of a Tory government that they hadn't voted for. This time it's a future that is about to be comprehensively fucked by an even worse Tory government who are likely to be around for at least a generation.

I think they'll win easily and I think the Irish will follow
    Never mind winning easily, most polls still have No ahead and NI has to get a SF and SDLP majority government first before they can even get a referendum, not to mention the prospect of a united Ireland means loyalist paramilitaries will almost certainly return to the bomb and the bullet
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    OUT said:

fitalass said:

There is genuine anger and dismay here in Scotland at Sturgeon's announcement today, we do not want go through another Indy Ref campaign. A lot of Indy Ref No voters who also voted to Remain in the EU Ref, did not do so for Sturgeon to then use that second vote to try to void their first in the 2014 Indy Ref!!

Just heard of yet another long term SNP member and councillor being deselected and now forced to run as an independent in the upcoming local elections.... The SNP are hell bent on destroying the Scottish economy as well as wrecking our public services, but the growing domestic bad news is going to reach a point where constant Indy Ref campaigning will not be able to drown it out.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,799
    OGH writes: TMay’s reaction to Sturgeon’s InyRef2 announcement was that the Scottish FM and SNP leader was “playing politics” – a term I generally conclude to mean that what’s been said has been highly effective.

I think OGH is wrong on this one - in the May lexicon there is no graver charge than 'playing politics' - ask George BlackRock......
  • Options
    fitalass said:

There is genuine anger and dismay here in Scotland at Sturgeon's announcement today, we do not want go through another Indy Ref campaign.

I loved the reaction Jamie Ross got outside Bute House:

https://twitter.com/JamieRoss7/status/841262559827238913
  • Options
    OUT said:

fitalass said:

The problem for Scotland as outlined on the BBC tonight is that the uncertainty about Brexit is one thing, but the thought that Scotland may have a referendum in the next few years will create terrible problems for investment in Scotland way beyond the UK leaving the EU.

Tonight both the EU and NATO have said that Scotland would have to go through a membership process that in the EU could take years not least as it has to be approved by all members, several of whom will veto the application

• Options
    fitalass said:

OUT said:

fitalass said:

Just heard of yet another long term SNP member and councillor being deselected and now forced to run as an independent in the upcoming local elections.... The SNP are hell bent on destroying the Scottish economy as well as wrecking our public services, but the growing domestic bad news is going to reach a point where constant Indy Ref campaigning will not be able to drown it out.
    May elections have just got very interesting in Scotland
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    OUT said:

fitalass said:

take your own pen when you vote - MI5 will be watching
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

OUT said:

Artist said:

Personally I think the SNP will do well to even get near the wave of inspiration they created last time. Massive rallies, Yes posters everywhere, non voters and young people coming out to vote in their droves, social media bombardment, armies of volunteers knocking on doors. Are the Scottish Nationalists going to be motivated enough to do all that again? I can't see it, there was something fresh and organic about the original movement that can never be replicated.

20,000 members at that time. 120,000 now. £170,000 raised in 12 hours.
    Almost as impressive as Corbyn.
    LOL - a two edged sword if I ever have seen one :-)
  • Options
    fitalass said:

OUT said:

fitalass said:

The one that voted for brexit?
  • Options
    OUT said:

fitalass said:

OUT said:

fitalass said:

Do you dismiss the opinion of 1 million Scots who voted to leave the EU
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Artist said:

They have a core of dedicated support for independence that will ensure massive rallies and posters will be much in evidence, I am sure. As for the young coming out in their droves again, well, the young are presumably still very much in favour once again, and I imagine the point will be made that to fail once is a setback, but to fail twice, with the backdrop of Brexit? That might mean no other chance even in a young person's life. If the young don't turn out as they did last time, they can only have themselves to blame if they whinge about it for 50 years.

Night all. It's going to be a long few years.
    TBH if they want to go - good luck to them.

Amusing watching those who tell us Brexit will be a disaster cheering the Scots on.

Out of the Uk, out of the EU, out of Nato and IF they can rejoin the EU they will no doubt be in the euro.

Worked well for that other giant Greece.
  • Options

OUT said:

fitalass said:

OUT said:

fitalass said:

If they can dismiss the 2 million who voted to stay in the UK......
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,176
    Floater said:

Worked well for that other giant Greece.

It's not as if there's a country much closer to home that you could use as a comparison...
  • Options

OUT said:

fitalass said:

OUT said:

fitalass said:

I was referring to an SNP councillor who voted Brexit being deselected, not anyone else.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,328

OUT said:

fitalass said:

OUT said:

fitalass said:

Lovely and touching to see the selfless concern of non voters for voters.
  • Options
    OUT said:

OUT said:

fitalass said:

OUT said:

fitalass said:

I was referring to an SNP councillor who voted Brexit being deselected, not anyone else.
    You may find in May that the SNP suffer a net loss of seats
  • Options

OUT said:

fitalass said:

OUT said:

fitalass said:

Lovely and touching to see the selfless concern of non voters for voters.
    Nat arguing for democracy. Irony meter breaks.
  • Options
    tessyCtessyC Posts: 106
    edited March 2017
    If there is a vote for independence, I look forward to Ms Sturgeon championing the parts of Scotland that vote to remain in the UK to have a 'special deal' to stay within the UK. I feel precedent should be followed ; )
  • Options
    tessyC said:

If there is a vote for independence, I look forward to Ms Sturgeon championing the parts of Scotland that vote to remain in the UK having a 'special deal' to stay within the UK. I feel precedent should be followed ; )

Wonder if their are any Gina Miller types against a second referendum
  • Options

OUT said:

OUT said:

fitalass said:

OUT said:

fitalass said:

No they wont.
  • Options
    OUT said:

OUT said:

OUT said:

fitalass said:

OUT said:

fitalass said:

No they wont.
    And how do you know
  • Options

fitalass said:

There is genuine anger and dismay here in Scotland at Sturgeon's announcement today, we do not want go through another Indy Ref campaign.

This time around the claim that Sturgeon is playing politics with future economy and public services in Scotland is going to stick far harder than last time. The SNP got a majority in 2011 on the back of the knowledge that the Scottish people would have a vote on in an Indy Ref, we voted and we clearly said No. The SNP lost their majority last year, and voters made it clear they wanted Sturgeon and her Government to focus on the day job, especially at a time when Scots are feeling far less confident about the economy and public services.

But we are now being asked to ditch a Union we have far closer ties to economically in favour of European Union which is looking more and more unattractive by the minute as Sturgeon and party try to run rough shod over the Brexit negociations in an attempt to undermine the Westerminster Government. The timing of this stunt stinks, and the more visable and painful the aftershocks are for the Scottish economy and public services, the bigger the consequences will be for Sturgeon and her party. They have overreached themselves this time.

• Options
    fitalass said:

fitalass said:

This time around the claim that Sturgeon is playing politics with future economy and public services in Scotland is going to stick far harder than last time. The SNP got a majority in 2011 on the back of the knowledge that the Scottish people would have a vote on in an Indy Ref, we voted and we clearly said No. The SNP lost their majority last year, and voters made it clear they wanted Sturgeon and her Government to focus on the day job, especially at a time when Scots are feeling far less confident about the economy and public services.

But we are now being asked to ditch a Union we have far closer ties to economically in favour of European Union which is looking more and more unattractive by the minute as Sturgeon and party try to run rough shod over the Brexit negociations in an attempt to undermine the Westerminster Government. The timing of this stunt stinks, and the more visable and painful the aftershocks are for the Scottish economy and public services, the bigger the consequences will be for Sturgeon and her party. They have overreached themselves this time.

I think you may just be right
  • Options
    fitalass said:

fitalass said:

They have overreached themselves this time.
    I hope so - in the words of other separatists the SNP 'only have to be lucky once'.....
  • Options

OUT said:

OUT said:

OUT said:

fitalass said:

OUT said:

fitalass said:

No they wont.
    And how do you know
    32.5% voted SNP in the last locals.
  • Options
    OUT said:

OUT said:

fitalass said:

OUT said:

fitalass said:

Not this one?

http://www.helensburghadvertiser.co.uk/news/15145711.SNP_in_turmoil_as_long_serving_Helensburgh_councillor_is_dumped/
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    Interesting to see Leavers magically turn into Remoaners when it comes to Scottish Independence.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    OUT said:

fitalass said:

OUT said:

fitalass said:

No. Just another long time loyal SNP member, activist and councillor who has been badly treated by the 'new Yes kids' on the block. And the irony is that while this new wave of Yes voters are very good at turning up at SNP association meetings to deselect old guard SNP members/activists who pounded the streets leafleting when nobody wanted to vote SNP. They are not apparently quite as quick to turn up to replace them on the doorstep campaigning...
  • Options
    tessyCtessyC Posts: 106
    Jonathan said:

Interesting to see Leavers magically turn into Remoaners when it comes to Scottish Independence.

And vice versa...
  • Options
    OUT said:

OUT said:

OUT said:

OUT said:

fitalass said:

OUT said:

fitalass said:

No they wont.
    And how do you know
    Last votes do not convert to next
  • Options

OUT said:

OUT said:

fitalass said:

OUT said:

fitalass said:

Not this one?

http://www.helensburghadvertiser.co.uk/news/15145711.SNP_in_turmoil_as_long_serving_Helensburgh_councillor_is_dumped/

OUT said:

OUT said:

fitalass said:

OUT said:

fitalass said:

Not this one?

Nope.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

My wife is a Scot and is for the Union and I am also for the Union. Neither of us will be anything other than pro Union
  • Options

OUT said:

OUT said:

fitalass said:

OUT said:

fitalass said:

Not this one?

Thanks for the link, I missed that one....
  • Options
    OUT said:

OUT said:

OUT said:

fitalass said:

OUT said:

fitalass said:

Not this one?

OUT said:

OUT said:

fitalass said:

OUT said:

fitalass said:

Not this one?

Nope.
    It's difficult to keep up with SNP deselections.....very Joyous & Civic.....

Of course, when the SNP flat out lies it complicates things.....

http://www.helensburghadvertiser.co.uk/news/15035386.SNP_dismisses___39_deselection__39__document_as_a_forgery/
  • Options
    Scottish Chamber of Commerce - what would they know about business?

https://twitter.com/ProfTomkins/status/841280241146482688
  • Options
  • Options
    Twitter
    Iain Martin‏@iainmartin1 4h4 hours ago
    It's been less than 24 hours and already this Scottish referendum is working its magic. Friends falling out. Anger rising. Pure poison.
  • Options

Governments, plural.
  • Options
    OUT said:

Governments, plural.
    And which one added to uncertainty, yesterday?
  • Options
    fitalass said:

Twitter
    Iain Martin‏@iainmartin1 4h4 hours ago
    It's been less than 24 hours and already this Scottish referendum is working its magic. Friends falling out. Anger rising. Pure poison.

That's the Times Newspaper office for you.
  • Options

OUT said:

Governments, plural.
    Both.
  • Options
    OUT said:

OUT said:

Governments, plural.
    Both.
    How did the UK government add to uncertainty?
  • Options

OUT said:

OUT said:

Governments, plural.
    Both.
    May could have said Yes or No. She was caught on the backfoot again.
  • Options
    OUT said:

OUT said:

OUT said:

Governments, plural.
    Both.
    But Sturgeon hasn't asked for a specific date....has she?
  • Options
    fitalass said:
    Anyone would think they didn't want to talk about their day job......
  • Options

OUT said:

OUT said:

OUT said:

Governments, plural.
    Both.
    All she had to say was Not while she was PM. simple really.
  • Options
    OUT said:

OUT said:

OUT said:

OUT said:

Governments, plural.
    Both.
    So that's a 'no' - Sturgeon hasn't asked for a date.

Glad we cleared that up.

If you were BAE Systems, would you be investing in shipbuilding capability on the Clyde, knowing the Scottish government would be campaigning to cut you off from your biggest customer?
  • Options
    Looking on the bright side, they've only registered ref.scot for a year - and are enjoying the benefits of the Union by hosting it in Gloucester....what is it with Nats and South West England.....
  • Options

fitalass said:
    Anyone would think they didn't want to talk about their day job......

Strathspey and Badenoch Herald - Opinion in Highlands divided over IndyRef2

"Highlands and Islands Conservative MSP Edward Mountain called the First Minister "irresponsible".

"We had one referendum, there is absolutely no need for a second one," he said.

"We should be getting on with solving the problems we have at the moment, not returning to a battle from 2014.

"I think it is irresponsible and if it comes to parliament next week I will be voting to get on with the day job.""
  • Options

OUT said:

OUT said:

OUT said:

OUT said:

Governments, plural.
    Both.

Glad we cleared that up.

If you were BAE Systems, would you be investing in shipbuilding capability on the Clyde, knowing the Scottish government would be campaigning to cut you off from your biggest customer?
    I wonder how Angus Robertson will explain away putting this massive investment in his own constituency at risk after it was announced only three weeks ago?
    Press and Journal - Massive £400million investment in RAF Lossiemouth announced

"The expansion is expected to bring an economic boom for the region with an extra 500 personnel moving to the region by 2020.

Construction on the major project, including new hangars, engineering workshops and a mission planning facility for submarine-hunting Poseidon P-8 planes, could begin as early as August.

The investment was confirmed as part of a £1.7billion package north of the border unveiled by Defence Secretary Sir Michael Fallon during a visit to Edinburgh.

But the good news for Moray is not expected to end there as an MoD spokesman confirmed a funding package was due to be announced for Kinloss Barracks in the coming years as part of a restructuring of the Army.

Last night Moray MP Angus Robertson said the investment vindicated the fight to keep the RAF base open.

He said: “I welcome the ongoing investment at Lossiemouth demonstrating the strategic importance of the base, which was a point very strongly argued during the recent fight to save the base from closure."

If Nicola Sturgeon and her SNP Government get their way and we leave the UK, not only will we lose this vital MOD prescence in Scotland, but even our membership of NATO will be void!
  • Options
    fitalass said:

OUT said:

OUT said:

OUT said:

OUT said:

Governments, plural.
    Both.

Glad we cleared that up.

I wonder how Angus Robertson will explain away putting this massive investment in his own constituency at risk after it was announced only three weeks ago?!
    I don't see how the UK government can invest in defence infrastructure in Scotland while Scotland's position in the UK is being called into question. A pause should be put in place.
  • Options
    edited March 2017

fitalass said:

OUT said:

OUT said:

OUT said:

OUT said:

Governments, plural.
    Both.

Glad we cleared that up.

I wonder how Angus Robertson will explain away putting this massive investment in his own constituency at risk after it was announced only three weeks ago?!
    I don't see how the UK government can invest in defence infrastructure in Scotland while Scotland's position in the UK is being called into question. A pause should be put in place.
    One of the first things that I thought about today was the fact that the recently announced extra MOD investment at Lossie, Kinloss, Leuchars and Condor would now be put at risk when I heard Sturgeon confirm that she was seeking another referendum. The impact to these local economies if this investment is now put on hold, or even worse, the MOD pulls out on the back of a Yes vote would be devastating.
  • Options
    fitalass said:

fitalass said:

OUT said:

OUT said:

OUT said:

OUT said:

Governments, plural.
    Both.

Glad we cleared that up.

One of the first things that I thought about today was the fact that the recently announced extra MOD investment at Lossie, Kinloss, Leuchars and Condor would now be put at risk when I heard Sturgeon confirm that she was seeking another referendum. The impact to these local economies if this investment is now put on hold, or even worse, the MOD pulls out on the back of a Yes vote would be devastating.
    Of course if there is any pause it will all be "Westminster's fault"......
  • Options
    asjohnstoneasjohnstone Posts: 1,276

fitalass said:

OUT said:

OUT said:

OUT said:

OUT said:

Governments, plural.
    Both.

Glad we cleared that up.

The geography of the world doesn't change. Scotland occupies some vital real estate in strategic terms. A deal would be done for the hosting of military bases.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,018
    I've just had a terrible thought... Brexit and Indyref2 are going to be so dominant that we probably have no chance of seeing TSE's AV magnum opus any time soon. :(
  • Options

fitalass said:

OUT said:

OUT said:

OUT said:

OUT said:

Governments, plural.
    Both.

Glad we cleared that up.

The geography of the world doesn't change. Scotland occupies some vital real estate in strategic terms. A deal would be done for the hosting of military bases.
    No it would not!! This recent investment by the MOD in Scotland was only made on the understanding that Scotland would remain in the UK. You don't think that there are other areas in the rest of the UK who would now demand that investment be relocated to areas within the remaining UK?! Why the hell should the rest of the UK pay for and maintain a military presence in Scotland after they have voted to leave?
  • Options

fitalass said:

fitalass said:

OUT said:

OUT said:

OUT said:

OUT said:

Governments, plural.
    Both.

Glad we cleared that up.

Of course if there is any pause it will all be "Westminster's fault"......
    Not this time, especially with Sturgeon announcing another Indy Ref at this moment to seek maximum attention in an attempt to undermine and derail the Westminster Government that just announced this massive MOD investment in good faith... And remember, most of these MOD military bases are in key SNP heartlands... Angus Robertson was tweeting up a storm when it came to the reaction from Europe to the news of this 2nd Indy Ref today, not a fecking word about putting the local economy in his own constitueny at risk. He is the Deputy Leader of the SNP and it clearly looks like he is putting party before his own constituents on both the Moray local economy and its views on Brexit.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Every time you hear an SNP politician claim they fought passionately to keep Scotland in Europe, just remember that the SNP party spent less than 100K during the EU Ref campaign...
  • Options
    fitalass said:

fitalass said:

OUT said:

OUT said:

OUT said:

OUT said:

Governments, plural.
    Both.

Glad we cleared that up.

No it would not!! This recent investment by the MOD in Scotland was only made on the understanding that Scotland would remain in the UK. You don't think that there are other areas in the rest of the UK who would now demand that investment be relocated to areas within the remaining UK?! Why the hell should the rest of the UK pay for and maintain a military presence in Scotland after they have voted to leave?
    The MoD said its £178 billion defence equipment programme supports 11,000 Scottish industry jobs and accounts for over 10% of the country’s industrial base across projects including the Queen Elizabeth carriers being built in Rosyth and the offshore patrol vessels and Type 26 global combat ships being built in Govan and Scotstoun.

Read more at: http://www.scotsman.com/news/faslane-and-lossiemouth-to-share-1-7bn-mod-upgrade-cash-1-4375646
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,079
    fitalass said:

fitalass said:

OUT said:

OUT said:

OUT said:

OUT said:

Governments, plural.
    Both.

Glad we cleared that up.

It would depend on how good the facilities we have there are and how viable other areas are - obviously we'd still cooperate militarily with Scotland, retaining bases up there might be in our best interests.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited March 2017
    New thread. >>>
  • Options
    kle4 said:

fitalass said:

fitalass said:

OUT said:

OUT said:

OUT said:

OUT said:

Governments, plural.
    Both.

Glad we cleared that up.

It would depend on how good the facilities we have there are and how viable other areas are - obviously we'd still cooperate militarily with Scotland, retaining bases up there might be in our best interests.
    What English MPs with shipyards are going to sit quietly by as an rUK government exports jobs to a foreign country? What defence supplier is going to invest in capacity where the government is actively campaigning to cut it off from its biggest customer?
  • Options
    One thing that will drive me crazy in the coming years will be the mocking refrain of 'leavers now arguing against Scotland leaving the uk' and how silly that is. Sure, many of the arguments will be similar, but it is the balance that will be different to many people.

The positives and negatives of the eu were considered and on balance a majority decided to leave. The same weighing the balance will take place in Scotland regarding the uk, and it might make the same choice, but while the broad principles may be similar it is a different union with different issues, and people who felt leaving the eu was best could decide leaving the uk was not, with that being an entirely consistent position.
  • Options

kle4 said:

fitalass said:

fitalass said:

OUT said:

OUT said:

OUT said:

OUT said:

Governments, plural.
    Both.

Glad we cleared that up.

I don't see how the UKbe put in place.
    What English MPs with shipyards are going to sit quietly by as an rUK government exports jobs to a foreign country? What defence supplier is going to invest in capacity where the government is actively campaigning to cut it off from its biggest customer?
    It would depend on the deal and how unique the circumstances. I have no idea of the viability, but the suggestion was raised about rUK keeping the nuclear subs base in the event of Sindy.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,018
    Evening kle4.

New thread :)
  • Options
    swing_voterswing_voter Posts: 1,437
    This is a much more exciting discussion......Dutch elections just dont get the hackles raised
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

OUT said:

OUT said:

OUT said:

OUT said:

fitalass said:

OUT said:

fitalass said:

No they wont.
    And how do you know
    Last votes do not convert to next
    What odds do you want?
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,811

OUT said:

OUT said:

Governments, plural.
    Both.
    With Brexit, absolutely.
This discussion has been closed.