Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The persistence of kippers – looking at where post-referendum

Comments

• Options
    OUTOUT Posts: 569
    Dura_Ace said:

So what happens if Theresa May is disinclined to acquiesce to Nicola Sturgeon's request?

Armed insurrection and/or UDI.
    Dinnae be silly.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,632

As a Leaver who also supports Scottish independence (as an Englander), this is shaping up to be a good day.

It is also my birthday, and I've already got my presents, so I am in a contented state.

If only Jezza would announce his resignation...

Happy Birthday.
    Thank you Mr E - it is a 'big' birthday too!
    21st?
    Yes. 21 years since my 29th birthday.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,079

In any case, the people who are going to pooh-pooh her are our EU friends.

And why would they do that, given that it is the most effective way to undermine May's negotiating position?
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,963

As a Leaver who also supports Scottish independence (as an Englander), this is shaping up to be a good day.

It is also my birthday, and I've already got my presents, so I am in a contented state.

Yep. I am similarly in favour of both Brexit and Sindy. A good day all round.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

I think we're about to find out where all those donations have been going that haven't been going to the SNP.

https://twitter.com/jamiemaxwell86/status/841261461858996225
  • Options
    **Checks furiously for Mike's holiday plans for 2018/19**
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,259
    George Eaton‏Verified account @georgeeaton 14m14 minutes ago
    More
    No chance that May will agree to referendum during Brexit negotiations.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,308

Happy Birthday.
    21st?
    Yes. 21 years since my 29th birthday.
    50 is the new 21. Anyway many happy returns.
  • Options

You can have one or the other. Which do you chose?
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    If there is another referendum in Scotland, who's going to lead the No campaign? The current crop of unionist politicians is not exactly stellar, is it?
  • Options
    @alexmassie: Kingsley Amis suggested Robert Conquest reissue "The Great Terror" with a new title: “I told you so, you fucking fools”.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    @Mr_Rentool – Many happy returns of the day. Does this 'biggy' end in a zero?
  • Options

If there is another referendum in Scotland, who's going to lead the No campaign? The current crop of unionist politicians is not exactly stellar, is it?

You've just broken the heart of every Scottish Tory surger there by not acknowledging Ruth Davidson's awesomeness.
  • Options

Can you imagine May and Corbyn delivering a last minute vow to the Scottish people?
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

And why would they do that, given that it is the most effective way to undermine May's negotiating position?
    Because undermining her negotiating position is not their only, or even top, priority, and, more importantly, because there are amongst the EU27 some countries and politicians who are most definitely not cool with seccessionist fantasies.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

This referendum call wont survive the local elections.

Nicla has seriously overplayed her hand here - she must be feeling under pressure from Eck.

• Options

You've just broken the heart of every Scottish Tory surger there by not acknowledging Ruth Davidson's awesomeness.
    There's only so much kickboxing one girl can do.
  • Options

Because undermining her negotiating position is not their only, or even top, priority, and, more importantly, because there are amongst the EU27 some countries and politicians who are most definitely not cool with seccessionist fantasies.
    The seccessionist fantasy they're dealing with is Brexit. Scottish independence is merely a consequence of that.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,995

Sandpit said:

LOL, surely the best thing the media can do today is focus on the Commons and Lords, rather than giving jumped-up Ms McGrievance the oxygen of publicity she so desperately craves?

Tarty McTartFace hectoring again.

Just about what you would expect from lowlife unionist. I bet the girls love you
  • Options

Nor keen on a new entrant with a stonking budget deficit.

• Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    edited March 2017

Even if she thinks it's nonsense herself, it's a convenient position, isn't it? Who's going to pooh-pooh her? Nasty unionists who are denying it to suit their own agenda, clearly. It's a nice position to be in when anyone who calls you out can be dismissed as biased due to being a non-believer and wrecker.

It's a convenient position in the short term, but a strategy based on assuming your voters are half-wits tends to run into trouble, especially if they are.

I am not sure they are going to crank up the volume while doing so. Why would they intervene in domestic UK politics to announce that they are not willing to accept something that the UK government hasn't even asked for?

Purely from a Sindy POV TMay might do better (have done better) to make a big song and dance about seeking it, and being repeatedly denied. Obviously this timewasting would potentially make an even bigger mess of the Brexit negotiations, but the current position of "we know it doesn't work", while serious and genuinely intended, as far as I can tell, marks her out as not having tried.
  • Options
    OUTOUT Posts: 569
    DavidL said:

So once in a generation means every 4 years. Who'd have thought? Well, its a lot easier than trying to run the country.

The Scottish local elections have got more significant too. Going to need my walking shoes.

It's in a game console generation.
  • Options

Both as Sturgeon will lose
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    TGOHF said:

So another Project Fear Reality prediction comes true.

I don't think more waffle from Nicla was a bold prediction.

Salmon wants his job back - she's spinning the plates to keep him at bay.

I predict a backlash against the SNP - the jocks are bored of referendums.
    CUCKOO, only the plastic ones that live down south
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,726

That's why I think there's a good chance of this being carried.
  • Options
    edited March 2017

George Eaton‏Verified account @georgeeaton 14m14 minutes ago
    More
    No chance that May will agree to referendum during Brexit negotiations.

Indeed, as has been mentioned many times on PB. A Yes, but a politely postponed date until negotiations are completed by the PM.
  • Options

Ruth Davidson fits the bill if she will do it
  • Options
    Anyway, what will heppen is that Mrs May will agree to the referendum, but disallow the timing. It will be after Brexit, which is the only possible way it can work. Ms Sturgeon will use this as another input to the grievance factory. Life will go on.

I don't know how the referendum itself will go, though.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

I look forward to the SNP plan for rejoining the EU - with details of their budget and currency plans.

They're not leaving.

TGOHF said:

I look forward to the SNP plan for rejoining the EU - with details of their budget and currency plans.

They're not leaving.
    What currency will Sindy use ?
    The Euro.

Next question?
    Have you read the requirements that have to be met before a state can join the Euro?
    True but I wouldn't rule out the EU bending rules to ease Scotland into remaining in the EU.
  • Options

What odds would you make it on a referendum happening in either 2018/19?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,130

There are no farm animals left in Scotland that Ruth has not been photoed astride, so she's oot.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    FF43 said:

That's why I think there's a good chance of this being carried.
    Davidson will effectively front it even if she does not chair the No campaign and she is more popular in Scotland than Darling was
  • Options

I think it is clear that Willie Rennie needs to lead the campaign.

He can then lead the campaign to ignore the result if he doesn't like it.
  • Options
    Holding a third referendum after the two we had recently is "brave" - Nicla may seriously have underestimated how utterly sick the McPublic is of referendums.

• Options
    GIN1138 said:

glw said:

GIN1138 said:

I think there's a lot in what you say. I've always felt Scotland leaving the UK was inevitable since Labour brought in devolution.

Devolution has had precisely the opposite effect that Labour thought it would.
    That was always going to be the outcome. It's like unpicking the fabric of a country thread by thread until eventually the entire thing just falls apart.
    Yaba daba doo GIN, we are off and running
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,931

isam said:

Roger said:

isam said:

Roger said:

isam said:

Roger said:

isam said:

I don't see much controversial in what Alastair has said. I would probably vote UKIP still even though our objective seems to have been fulfilled, there is always the worry that once you leave, the others revert to type. The facts is that every other party leader supported Remain, and the supposedly "Hardline Brexit" PM and chancellor are both Remainers. In Stoke, every other candidate was a Remainer etc etc

Think of other places where a regime has been overthrown, would the victors be happy with the old guard in place, promising to have changed? I wont give examples as they would encourage inane faux outrage and deliberate misunderstanding, but I am sure you can figure them out!

I thought you voted UKIP because you wanted us to get close to a Powellite agenda where we didn't have 'wide grinning piccaninnis chasing us to the shops'?
    Just keep saying whatever makes you feel good about yourself old chap
    I do!
    Better than tablets in the long run I reckon. Take plenty of exercise in the fresh air too

https://goo.gl/images/kncwYI
    Those were the days! Not a piccaninni in sight.
    Strange word isn't it? Enoch never used it himself of course, except when quoting others
    He was lucky falling into conversation with or receiving letters from all those anonymous folk from whom he could 'quote' without owning their terms himself.
    He probably answered all the opinion polls that made it 80-20 he was right at the time too
  • Options

Anyway, what will heppen is that Mrs May will agree to the referendum, but disallow the timing. It will be after Brexit, which is the only possible way it can work. Ms Sturgeon will use this as another input to the grievance factory. Life will go on.

And do you think Brexit will be delivered on schedule? What happens in 2019 when there's no deal?

I'm afraid that as usual you are far too willing to trust that the Prime Minister is in control.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Suspect the Conservative campaign for the May local elections in Scotland just received a significant boost.

Yes, they are now more significant. Even Labour might get something of a boost. I genuinely do not feel that there is any enthusiasm for a second referendum in Scotland right now and the polling supports that. Have the SNP overplayed their hand?

Also her speech was very much focussed on the moves to hard Brexit. If, for example, the UK negotiates tariff free access to the Single Market will she call it off?
  • Options

And do you think Brexit will be delivered on schedule? What happens in 2019 when there's no deal?

I'm afraid that as usual you are far too willing to trust that the Prime Minister is in control.
    She's not in control. That is why Brexit will happen two years after Article 50 is invoked, possibly two years tomorrow.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

Happy Birthday.
    Did you get your half-telegram from the Queen?
  • Options
    edited March 2017

By the time we get to an independence vote we will already have a Scottish deal in the bag. The EU are going to guarantee their EEA membership with at least fast track membership to the whole thing agreed. They'll be offered a better deal that the floor scrapings we're going to be proffered. And that'll be used as pressure on the rest of the UK.

What can May threaten them with? Throwing them out of the CTA, currency and customs unions? A physical border? People will be laughing in her face.

Bravo Nicola, bravo. A brilliant political gambit. Any Jeremy obsessives reading this - that's what leadership looks like.

To be fair, Corbyn will be getting what he wants, too, if the UK breaks-up. But you are right, Sturgeon has played a blinder on this. What will May throw at the Scots to keep them on board? Being the Conservative and Unionist PM who lost the Union would be quite something on her CV.
    It was the English and Welsh voters who voted Leave who would have lost Scotland, not May who voted Remain. However as said last night May is Elizabeth 1st to Sturgeon's Mary Queen of Scots
  • Options
    @ProfChalmers: I'd be fascinated to see how May reacts to Sturgeon's speech if I weren't convinced she'll make a very bad job of it.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Also her speech was very much focussed on the moves to hard Brexit. If, for example, the UK negotiates tariff free access to the Single Market will she call it off?

LOL! I think that's what's known as a rhetorical question!
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,579
    Thanks for the piece, Alistair.
  • Options

She's not in control. That is why Brexit will happen two years after Article 50 is invoked, possibly two years tomorrow.
    Your judgement is lacking. Having established that the Theresa May is not in control, the EU, and the UK, would have no interest in going over the cliff. There will be a humiliating climbdown.
  • Options
    Paging Carlotta ..... Have you fallen off your perch
  • Options
    BBC make the point that if a referendum is put forward to Westminster the legislation will need to go through the HOC and the HOL who are very much in favour of the Union and may turn down the request.

In that case I do not know how Scotland could hold a legal referendum
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,726

I think timing is key. The important relationship for EU States and Germany in particular will be with the rUK, not Scotland. They won't want to mess up Brexit negotiations any more than they inevitably will be. They won't put impediments in the way of Scotland joining after Brexit and an agreed independence.
  • Options

Your judgement is lacking. Having established that the Theresa May is not in control, the EU, and the UK, would have no interest in going over the cliff. There will be a humiliating climbdown.

Unfortunately, there is no mechanism for a climbdown, humiliating or otherwise.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

It is 7/1 and 8/1 that Theresa May steps down as PM in 2018 and 2019 respectively.

Massive if Scots vote for Independence.

(With Ladbrokes)

May backed Remain, it was the English and Welsh electorates decision to vote Leave which led to any indyref2 so of course she would not resign
    Would you like to bet on that?

If Scotland votes to Leave the UK, Mrs May won't resign?
    I am not betting on hypotheticals but the point remains it would be English and Welsh Leave voters who led to Scottish independence knowing full well that was a possibility and not May who backed Remain
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Patrick said:

Doesn't Westminster have to pass a referndum bill for there to be one? Not sure Wee Jimmy Krankie can do anything of any relvance on her own - other than UDI!
    I think Westminster does have to grant a referendum to Scotland but they can't deny the Scots another vote if they want one - Or rather they would be well advised not to try to block a second referendum if the Scots want it.
    There has to be an 'agreement' between the two sides - expect Mrs May to be not quite as trusting as Mr Cameron.....
    A compromise would be to tell Scotland they can have another referendum after the negotiations when they can judge the deal Her Majesty's government comes back with.

But they can't just tell Scotland they're not having another referendum and that's that! If they try that it'll cause an explosion of rage north of the border.
    But they could say you can have anothere referendum in circa 2035 - ie a generation after the last one!
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937

It's very unlikely there'll be a single No campaign, isn't it?

• Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    TGOHF said:

Holding a third referendum after the two we had recently is "brave" - Nicla may seriously have underestimated how utterly sick the McPublic is of referendums.

Depends if the apathetic vote falls evenly or not. Like Leavers and Brexit, Nats are more passionate about their cause than unionists. It may actually work in their favour. Referendum fatigue more likely mongst demoralised unionists than indignant nationalists.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

It is 7/1 and 8/1 that Theresa May steps down as PM in 2018 and 2019 respectively.

(With Ladbrokes)

May backed Remain, it was the English and Welsh electorates decision to vote Leave which led to any indyref2 so of course she would not resign

I am not betting on hypotheticals but the point remains it would be English and Welsh Leave voters who led to Scottish independence knowing full well that was a possibility and not May who backed Remain
    So when you said 'so of course she would not resign' you were all fart and no follow through.
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651

One major consequence of the commons wipe-out of SLAB (and indeed the other parties just hanging on in there) has been a culling of Scottish Big Beasts from political life.

And the collapse of SLAB in the polls, means putting forward a SLAB figure as head unionist cheerleader now carries similar disadvantages (if not quite the same level of toxicity to the decisive floating voters) to putting forward a Tory figure.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937

If one is wanted, one will be found.

• Options
    PeterCPeterC Posts: 1,274
    edited March 2017
    OllyT said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

They're not leaving.

TGOHF said:

They're not leaving.
    What currency will Sindy use ?
    The Euro.

Next question?
    Have you read the requirements that have to be met before a state can join the Euro?
    True but I wouldn't rule out the EU bending rules to ease Scotland into remaining in the EU.
    Independent Scotland is a basket case economically. Germany will not tolerate another Greece which it has to bail out. Scotland is ineligible for EU membership. The SNP offer is pure snake oil.
  • Options

Personally, quite heavy odds on.

While the Scottish government doesn't have the formal power to hold a referendum, the experience in Catalonia shows that the optics of trying to stop them holding one are just awful for the central government. And telling Scotland to wait its turn behind Brexit also sounds awful - putting Scottish interests behind those of England.

It seems to me that the Scottish government has a very good case for saying that the Sewel Convention has been ignored by Theresa May and that no meaningful consultation has taken place with the devolved assemblies/Parliaments. Is Theresa May really going to continue to try to rule the UK unilaterally from the centre?

So I expect Theresa May to give way, probably with bad grace and having squandered the goodwill that she might have been able to garner by moving swiftly.
  • Options

Of course there is. It's called politics.

The EU are the world champions at playing brinkmanship with politicians who think they can get the impossible. However much Theresa May tries to gold-plate her bluff by denying the appearance of any escape route, the EU will not buy it.
  • Options

Happy Birthday.
    I'm happy to wait another 50 years to get one from an elected President.
  • Options

By the time we get to an independence vote we will already have a Scottish deal in the bag. The EU are going to guarantee their EEA membership with at least fast track membership to the whole thing agreed. They'll be offered a better deal that the floor scrapings we're going to be proffered. And that'll be used as pressure on the rest of the UK.

What can May threaten them with? Throwing them out of the CTA, currency and customs unions? A physical border? People will be laughing in her face.

Bravo Nicola, bravo. A brilliant political gambit. Any Jeremy obsessives reading this - that's what leadership looks like.

Given a clear majority of Scottish exports go to England threatening a hard border with Scotland and customs duties and no currency union would actually cause some Scots to think twice, indeed Osborne's best chance of the premiership now is probably Scotland to vote Yes after Brexit May to resign and he to win the leadership effectively on a platform to screw the Scots
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,963
    edited March 2017

Brexit as it is my independence. I support Sindy as a friend of Scotland.

But of course your question is misguided as we can have both.
  • Options

While the Scottish government doesn't have the formal power to hold a referendum, the experience in Catalonia shows that the optics of trying to stop them holding one are just awful for the central government. And telling Scotland to wait its turn behind Brexit also sounds awful - putting Scottish interests behind those of England.

It seems to me that the Scottish government has a very good case for saying that the Sewel Convention has been ignored by Theresa May and that no meaningful consultation has taken place with the devolved assemblies/Parliaments. Is Theresa May really going to continue to try to rule the UK unilaterally from the centre?

So I expect Theresa May to give way, probably with bad grace and having squandered the goodwill that she might have been able to garner by moving swiftly.
    Cheers.
  • Options
    Does anybody seriously think that if the UK had voted to Remain, Sturgeon and the SNP wouldn't still have been agitating for a second referendum?

It's all they've got.
  • Options

The bigger question is will Parliament pass the legislation
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    HYUFD said:

To be fair, Corbyn will be getting what he wants, too, if the UK breaks-up. But you are right, Sturgeon has played a blinder on this. What will May throw at the Scots to keep them on board? Being the Conservative and Unionist PM who lost the Union would be quite something on her CV.
    It was the English and Welsh voters who voted Leave who would have lost Scotland, not May who voted Remain. However as said last night May is Elizabeth 1st to Sturgeon's Mary Queen of Scots
    No - May could have neutralised the entire issue by saying she would seek to retain single market membership in the EEA. For various (understandable but incorrect) reasons she chose not to, so she has brought this on herself.
  • Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414
    edited March 2017
    justin124 said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Patrick said:

Doesn't Westminster have to pass a referndum bill for there to be one? Not sure Wee Jimmy Krankie can do anything of any relvance on her own - other than UDI!
    I think Westminster does have to grant a referendum to Scotland but they can't deny the Scots another vote if they want one - Or rather they would be well advised not to try to block a second referendum if the Scots want it.
    There has to be an 'agreement' between the two sides - expect Mrs May to be not quite as trusting as Mr Cameron.....
    A compromise would be to tell Scotland they can have another referendum after the negotiations when they can judge the deal Her Majesty's government comes back with.

But they can't just tell Scotland they're not having another referendum and that's that! If they try that it'll cause an explosion of rage north of the border.
    But they could say you can have anothere referendum in circa 2035 - ie a generation after the last one!
    There needs to be legislation concerning the conduct of referendums generally. The current ad hoc approach is a recipe for chaos which is great if you are a constitutional lawyer* but a pain in the arse for everyone else.

And one of the provisions in a referendum act should be a bar on holding a second vote on substantially the question within a specified period of time. 25 years would be about right.

*Edit: I should have added, "or political punter"
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,733

What price a non-politico - JK Rowling?
  • Options

Of course there is. It's called politics.

The EU are the world champions at playing brinkmanship with politicians who think they can get the impossible. However much Theresa May tries to gold-plate her bluff by denying the appearance of any escape route, the EU will not buy it.
    Nor will Tory Leave voters
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822
    malcolmg said:

GIN1138 said:

glw said:

GIN1138 said:

I think there's a lot in what you say. I've always felt Scotland leaving the UK was inevitable since Labour brought in devolution.

That was always going to be the outcome. It's like unpicking the fabric of a country thread by thread until eventually the entire thing just falls apart.
    Your girl did good Malc. Enjoy :smiley:
  • Options
    edited March 2017

If one is wanted, one will be found.

I don't think so, because it would require unanimity. Alastair's metaphor of the barrel going over the falls is right, I think. For that matter, so it should be - we have had the referendum, it has been decided we're leaving.
  • Options
    Lennon said:

Er, isn't she English?
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    GIN1138 said:

malcolmg said:

GIN1138 said:

glw said:

GIN1138 said:

Your girl did good Malc. Enjoy :smiley:

Turnip wine tonight!
  • Options
    Lennon said:

Actually she would be a fantastic choice for multiple reasons, if she could be persuaded to do it. I can't for the life of me think of a reason why she would want to put herself through that hell.
  • Options

DavidL said:

LOL! I think that's what's known as a rhetorical question!
    The weird thing is that tariff free access makes Scottish independence slightly more viable because it would ensure as members of the EU we had access to the rUK market. Anything less and leaving our single market with rUK is really inconceivable.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

(With Ladbrokes)

So when you said 'so of course she would not resign' you were all fart and no follow through.
    I did not expect Cameron to resign either so am not betting on May resigning but of course it was Cameron who promised the Brexit referendum in the first place
  • Options

The major winners of that of course would be UKIP!
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    Mortimer said:

justin124 said:

surbiton said:

Danny565 said:

RobD said:

Second!

It is interesting that both UKIP and the Lib Dems haven't really moved much in the polls.

For all the hype, the Lib Dems really haven't made much progress in the polls at all. They've barely crawled up a few points since the EU referendum, and, worse, any progress they've made seems to have completely stalled since the New Year (after they got a bit of a lift following Richmond Park). They're only a bit ahead of where they were at this point in the disastrous 2010-15 parliament.

Of course, the picture of the polls is completely contradicted by the local council byelections week after week, so goodness knows what's really going on with them.
    For all the hype? As far as I can see the LibDems have received very little.They get very little Press coverage and their Leader is regularly rubbished, both here and in the right-wing Press.

Like Labour, the LibDems have a leader problem. Unlike Corbyn, Farron is not hopelessly out of touch, does not hold views that are anathema to 80% of the population and is not utterly useless at leading, but he does not have a persona that commands attention. With millions and millions of voters looking on in bemusement at what is currently happening in and to the UK looking for someone to articulate their frustration, the opportunity is huge. It's tailor-made for someone like Charlie Kennedy or a pre-coalition Clegg, but the LibDems do not have that god dust anymore, it seems.

I think you are under estimating what the Liberals can do, if Corbyn stays in situ. 10% could easily become 20% in no time. Mostly, from Labour but a few from the Tories too.

With a strong leader, I suspect that the LDs would already be closer to 20% than 10%. Farron just does not inspire. If Corbyn is in charge in 2020, they will probably get my vote (if anyone does), but it's easy for me - I live in a seat that the Tories are going to hold come what may.

I think you underestimate the toxicity of LibDems to left of centre voters. It will take a generation before they will be forgiven for their role as 'the Tories little helpers'.
    Rubbish. Huge numbers of voters by 2020 won't remember.
    But Labour will go to great lengths to remind them!
  • Options

Happy Birthday.
    In another 50 years, Charles might just have got to take over...
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,756

Does anybody seriously think that if the UK had voted to Remain, Sturgeon and the SNP wouldn't still have been agitating for a second referendum?

It's all they've got.

precisely
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

It was inevitable, the only thing that would stop such calls is the SNP losing power.
  • Options

Lennon said:

Actually she would be a fantastic choice for multiple reasons, if she could be persuaded to do it. I can't for the life of me think of a reason why she would want to put herself through that hell.
    For the Twitter-spats? They'd be top drawer....
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    Lennon said:

She'd be perfect - a good Gloucestershire girl telling the Scots what's in their best interests.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Of course Mrs May could consult on a referendum until say next year and then call a 3 year campaign like last time

2021 could make an interesting Indyref2
  • Options
    kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456

The EU will not negotiate with Scotland until the UK have left

Not openly.

England is economically far more imporatant to the EU than Scotland . the EU will always take that into account when dealing with Scotland. Self interest always kicks in
  • Options
    @PipsFunFacts: Tim Farron to declare AVRef Round 2 in 5, 4, 3, 2...
  • Options
    edited March 2017

HYUFD said:

No - May could have neutralised the entire issue by saying she would seek to retain single market membership in the EEA. For various (understandable but incorrect) reasons she chose not to, so she has brought this on herself.
    No. The idea May could have introduced no new immigration controls after the Leave vote is absurd, half her party would have switched to UKIP. If Scotland votes Yes there is only one group to blame, the Leave campaign in EU ref and those in England and Wales who voted Leave, they may still see leaving the EU as more important than preserving the Union but the blame still falls on them
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    Lennon said:

She should keep her powder dry for the Labour Leadership.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

Happy Birthday.
    In another 50 years, Charles might just have got to take over...
    Our ownPB @Charles?

Actually I think he'd do a great job!
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383

Happy Birthday! :grin:
  • Options

It's all they've got.

precisely
    Indeed. - The SNP protested at being dragged into the EU by England, they’re protesting now at England dragging them out, it really makes no odds, a second, third and even fourth Indyref was always going to be on the cards.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

No. The idea May could have introduced no new immigration controls after the Leave vote is absurd, half her party would have switched to UKIP. If Scotland votes Yes there is only one group to blame, the Leave campaign in EU ref and those in England and Wales who voted Leave, they may still see leaving the EU as more important than preserving the Union but the blame still falls on them
    LOL

you dont think the SNP has anything to do with it then ?
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400

It's all they've got.

Of course they would have agitated for a referendum but they would have had no justification for one and in the mean time attention would have focussed on their mismanagement at Holyrood. A few years of that would have damaged the Independence cause.

Anyway, the little England Brexiteers will be happy.
  • Options

One major consequence of the commons wipe-out of SLAB (and indeed the other parties just hanging on in there) has been a culling of Scottish Big Beasts from political life.

And the collapse of SLAB in the polls, means putting forward a SLAB figure as head unionist cheerleader now carries similar disadvantages (if not quite the same level of toxicity to the decisive floating voters) to putting forward a Tory figure.
    Yes a Tory leading will be a big help toYes for sure
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,602
    DavidL said:

TGOHF said:

Suspect the Conservative campaign for the May local elections in Scotland just received a significant boost.

Yes, they are now more significant. Even Labour might get something of a boost. I genuinely do not feel that there is any enthusiasm for a second referendum in Scotland right now and the polling supports that. Have the SNP overplayed their hand?

"Soft Brexit" would means minimal trade barriers with either England or the EU, so what option Scots chose in a referendum would not make much difference. "Hard brexit" would mean significant trade barriers with either 70% of current Scottish trade (that within the rest of the UK) or circa 15% (that to the rest of the EU). In that context I am genuinely puzzled as to why hard Brexit is seen as a selling point for Scottish secession from the UK. In the course of another referendum I think the penny would gradually drop and Scots would come to be much more fearful of the impact on trade of their border with England, just as the Northern Irish are rightly fearful of the impact of a hard Brexit on trade across their border with Ireland.

In Northern Ireland that's being used as an argument for unification, one that seems to have some resonance beyond sectarian boundaries. In Scotland much the same scenario is being used as an argument for ending unification.

• Options
This discussion has been closed.