Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The €60 billion question. The EU exit charge and what it means

Comments

• Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,139
    GIN1138 said:

If the EU forced us to pay such a large amount of money clearly we'd have to make savings elsewhere... Starting with pulling out of NATO.

Would Donald stay in NATO is we pulled out? Doubt it!

GIN, what would all those admirals and generals do if we were not in NATO. We have 33 Admirals , 260 Capatains and a paltry 19 boats, WTF , aircraft carriers that cannot take planes , planning frigates without missiles and our Type 45's can be heard at a 100 miles with the naked ear.
    Our military has been turned into a joke.
  • Options
    daodaodaodao Posts: 821
    Nigelb said:

justin124 said:

viewcode said:

justin124 said:

Surely the existing UK state ceases to exist if Scotland departs.

No, it doesn't. I can't believe we're doing this again, three years after the referendum[1]. The UK remained in existence in the 1920's when Ireland left.

[1] Although as we're going to be banging on about Brexit for the next five years, it doesn't surprise me.

So what would the UK consist of if England became independent?
    The United Kingdon of Little Britain and Northern Ireland ?

No. It would just be Little England (& wales) in the longer term. The tipping point at which the 6 counties would choose to rejoin the rest of Ireland became a little closer as a result of the votes on 23/6/16 and 2/3/17.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,927

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

If the EU forced us to pay such a large amount of money clearly we'd have to make savings elsewhere... Starting with pulling out of NATO.

All that bridge building with the GOP, and Theresa May would blow it all by proving herself to be more of a Donald than the Donald. We'd be a pariah state in Washington.
    Well that as may be but choices will have be made if we're forced to pay such an exorbitant amount. I'd rather be a "pariah state" in Washington than see the NHS run out of money...
    Anything to 'save the NHS'... Is there any other western country that is so completely beholden to decisions made in the 40s?
    Well I expect you can afford to go Private but for most sensible people the NHS is a top priority... More so than paying for NATO (or Jean Claude Junckers liquid lunches for that matter)
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN, what would all those admirals and generals do if we were not in NATO. We have 33 Admirals , 260 Capatains and a paltry 19 boats, WTF , aircraft carriers that cannot take planes , planning frigates without missiles and our Type 45's can be heard at a 100 miles with the naked ear.
    Our military has been turned into a joke.
    Not a great state of affairs is it Malc? ;)
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,324
    llef said:

Scott_P said:

Grim news:

Scotland is facing an unprecedented mortality crisis, according to newly released figures which reveal that, in the past three years, life expectancy has failed to rise for the first time since records were published in 1861.

Contributing partly to the trend was a massive spike in mortality in 2015 when more people died than in any other single year since the Second World War. The rate was almost twice as high as in England and Wales, which together experienced a 50-year high in their mortality rate.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/scotland/scots-facing-crisis-on-life-expectancy-q3lz5fqhw

That's not good news, whoever is in power.

I don't know if it's the accumulation of bad news for the SNP, or something else not as yet revealed, but the Zoomer level on my timeline this morning reached "Unhinged"

https://twitter.com/frasergrant/status/838295874291838976
    I don't have access to the Times article, but "massive spike in mortality in 2015 when more people died than in any other single year since the Second World War" seems to be wrong.

According to ONS Scotland, 57,579 died in 2015, but more died in every year between 1996-2000 inclusive.
    E.g. in 1999 60,281 died.

https://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/statistics-and-data/statistics/statistics-by-theme/vital-events/general-publications/weekly-and-monthly-data-on-births-and-deaths/monthly-data-on-deaths-registered-in-scotland

Year of registration Annual total

1996 60,654
    1997 59,494
    1998 59,164
    1999 60,281
    2000 57,799
    2001 57,382

Given that Scotland's population was estimated to be at its highest ever in 2015, there does seem something distinctly whiffy about the headline.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

malcolmg said:

llef said:

Scott_P said:

Grim news:

Scotland is facing an unprecedented mortality crisis, according to newly released figures which reveal that, in the past three years, life expectancy has failed to rise for the first time since records were published in 1861.

Contributing partly to the trend was a massive spike in mortality in 2015 when more people died than in any other single year since the Second World War. The rate was almost twice as high as in England and Wales, which together experienced a 50-year high in their mortality rate.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/scotland/scots-facing-crisis-on-life-expectancy-q3lz5fqhw

I don't know if it's the accumulation of bad news for the SNP, or something else not as yet revealed, but the Zoomer level on my timeline this morning reached "Unhinged"

I don't have access to the Times article, but "massive spike in mortality in 2015 when more people died than in any other single year since the Second World War" seems to be wrong.

According to ONS Scotland, 57,579 died in 2015, but more died in every year between 1996-2000 inclusive.

https://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/statistics-and-data/statistics/statistics-by-theme/vital-events/general-publications/weekly-and-monthly-data-on-births-and-deaths/monthly-data-on-deaths-registered-in-scotland

1996 60,654
    1997 59,494
    1998 59,164
    1999 60,281
    2000 57,799
    2001 57,382

Usual bilge from Scott, he is a stranger to the truth , blindly follows his CCHQ instructions to the letter, accompanied by his helper Carlotta, the sites Mutt and Jeff entertainment duo. Mirrors the Tory surge in Scotland.
    Afternoon Malc! :smiley:
    Hello Gin, hope you are well, and not an Admiral.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

GIN1138 said:

malcolmg said:

llef said:

Scott_P said:

Grim news:

1996 60,654
    1997 59,494
    1998 59,164
    1999 60,281
    2000 57,799
    2001 57,382

Usual bilge from Scott, he is a stranger to the truth , blindly follows his CCHQ instructions to the letter, accompanied by his helper Carlotta, the sites Mutt and Jeff entertainment duo. Mirrors the Tory surge in Scotland.
    Definitely not an Admiral lol! :smiley:
  • Options

llef said:

Scott_P said:

Grim news:

1996 60,654
    1997 59,494
    1998 59,164
    1999 60,281
    2000 57,799
    2001 57,382

Given that Scotland's population was estimated to be at its highest ever in 2015, there does seem something distinctly whiffy about the headline.
    TUD, If you say Times or Express before "Scotland Bad" you can be sure it is bollox.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,810
    FF43 said:

My best guess is that there will be an enforceable figure of less than €60 billion in the Separation Agreement but we will be able to pay it down over time in return for "access". Both sides accept we need access. The amount of access won't change the total figure but it may determine the rate of pay down. Theresa May can then claim there was no one-off payment and the access charges are less than our previous EU membership fees. The EU gets that enforceable figure, albeit it won't ever be enforced.

@another_richard: How much will the EU pay to access the UK market ?

Nothing. We pay them as we're leaving the block and that reflects our relative bargaining strengths. Neither side can realistically walk away, but it's even less realistic for us - if that makes sense.

Currently the UK does not accept we have residual obligations; the EU side doesn't accept payment is linked to the ongoing relationship. Both sides have to move. The key figure I think is £8 billion a year, which is our current net contribution. The new figure will have to be less than that, but it may not be a lot less. At least to begin with. There's a possibility of renegotiation later.

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,472
    ydoethur said:

justin124 said:

ydoethur said:

justin124 said:

Surely the existing UK state ceases to exist if Scotland departs. We would be left with Scotland and rUK.Scotland would have as much liability for the debts of the former UK state as the rUK - on a pro rata basis. Otherwise a decision by England & Wales to leave the UK could result in all the former UK's debts being lumbered on Scotland!

No. At the time the U.K. was created in 1801, legally there was no 'Kingdom of Scotland'. That had been united with England in 1707 to form the Kingdom of Great Britain. This was further united with the Kingdom of Ireland in 1801 (although the Kingdom of Ireland was reduced to the six counties after 1949).

Therefore, an independent state of Scotland would be a new state. Not successor to a divided state. It would have no claims on the UK assets, but it could also walk away from the UK's debts if it so wished. That would not affect any international positions either but it would also mean Scotland would have to apply to join NATO, the EU and UN as a new country.
    On that basis, an independent England state could walk away from the UK's debts too!
    Yes, it could. But it would also walk away from the UK's assets, foreign obligations/advantages and property as well. Which doesn't seem likely.
    The parallel with the Russian Federation may be of interest here. In mid-1991, the RSSR declared independence from the USSR, quite a while before the actual breakup in December. So in theory, it could have repudiated the $66 billion of debt it inherited. Why then did it not do so? Two reasons:

1) by taking on the liabilities and assuming the role of a continuing state it also took on most of the liquid assets and prestige abroad, including the UN SC seat;

2) repudiating its debts would have meant the instant loss of access to credit abroad, which was desperately needed as the economy was in full-scale meltdown. (Gorbachev and even the USSR might have survived if the US had made him a loan in April.) England is also living beyond its means and would be unable to cut off access to international markets by effectively defaulting (as nobody would believe Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland could carry the UK's debts alone). Scotland as a much smaller country and not vital to U.K. prosperity would be a different matter.

As an aside, ironically the situation in the USSR in 1991 was similar to the situation the Provisional Government had faced in 1917 when it decided not to repudiate the Tsar's huge debts and continue with the war to keep credit lines from Britain and France open. Eventually Lenin after seizing power defaulted on those debts - ultimately of course Yeltsin had to do the same although he achieved by incompetence what Lenin achieved on principle.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

GIN1138 said:

malcolmg said:

llef said:

Scott_P said:

Grim news:

1996 60,654
    1997 59,494
    1998 59,164
    1999 60,281
    2000 57,799
    2001 57,382

Sun is splitting the sky here so off to do some gardening.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,756

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

All that bridge building with the GOP, and Theresa May would blow it all by proving herself to be more of a Donald than the Donald. We'd be a pariah state in Washington.
    Well that as may be but choices will have be made if we're forced to pay such an exorbitant amount. I'd rather be a "pariah state" in Washington than see the NHS run out of money...
    Anything to 'save the NHS'... Is there any other western country that is so completely beholden to decisions made in the 40s?
    Israel?
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

llef said:

Scott_P said:

Grim news:

1996 60,654
    1997 59,494
    1998 59,164
    1999 60,281
    2000 57,799
    2001 57,382

TUD, If you say Times or Express before "Scotland Bad" you can be sure it is bollox.
    Surprised you need to add Scotland for that to be true!
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

GIN1138 said:

malcolmg said:

llef said:

Scott_P said:

Grim news:

1996 60,654
    1997 59,494
    1998 59,164
    1999 60,281
    2000 57,799
    2001 57,382

Sun is splitting the sky here so off to do some gardening.
    Have a nice afternoon. Think I might have a "potter" this afternoon (if sun stays out) too.
  • Options
    llefllef Posts: 298
    DavidL said:

llef said:

Scott_P said:

Grim news:

1996 60,654
    1997 59,494
    1998 59,164
    1999 60,281
    2000 57,799
    2001 57,382

So no spike at all over a sensible period of time. In fact the number of deaths has fallen even more as a percentage of the population which has risen (albeit modestly) over recent times. Looks like a non story to me.
    yep its not a particularly Scottish story, as 2015 did see a spike in deaths across Europe as a whole.
    From the ONS in England and Wales

"The provisional number of deaths registered in the UK in 2015 was 602,782; a rise of 5.7% compared with 2014.

In both Scotland and Northern Ireland, provisional figures suggest the number of deaths in 2015 increased by 6.2% and 5.9% respectively.

Similar increases in deaths have been reported within Europe, with France reporting a rise of 7.3%, Spain 6.7%, Denmark 2.4% and Switzerland 5.2%; some of these figures are provisional

• Options
    BudGBudG Posts: 711
    Tick tock....

"Conservative politicians will propose an alternative to presidential candidate Francois Fillon, a senior politician from The Republicans party said, suggesting that Alain Juppe was the only option.

"In the coming hours, we will propose an initiative," Christian Estrosi, a close ally of former President Nicolas Sarkozy, told BFM TV, adding that it would be Monday morning.

"We do not have the time to debate who has the most talent. I don't think any of the forty-somethings in our political movement, who have talent, can take on the role to bring us together."

He said the initiative would be led by himself and other party heavyweights including Xavier Bertrand and Valerie Pecresse.

"The easiest thing obviously ... is the person who came second in the primaries and that quite simply is Alain Juppe," he said. "

http://www.jpost.com/Breaking-News/French-conservative-party-heavyweights-to-push-for-Fillon-alternative-483267
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    surbiton said:

DavidL said:

I have been VAT registered as an individual for the last 17 years. I have never been tempted by the flat rate tax. The truth is that the records needed for VAT returns are also needed for tax and I would get into a hell of a mess if I only tried to sort it out once a year. As it is I copy my VAT books and send them onto the accountant who then produces a return.

My wife does my VAT returns for me. It takes her about 5 hours a quarter (a significant part of the work is done by Faculty Services Ltd, a services company for pretty much all practicing advocates in Scotland. I accept that those without this may take longer). I of course pay her for this and get to deduct the wages from tax.

It is not without its irritations but I sometimes think that complaints about the bureaucracy are a little over stated. It is annoying that I now have a completely pointless registration fee for data protection whose sole purpose seems to be to create some well paid employment but it is still minor.

Agreed. It is massively exaggerated. The business I run, annual turnover £25mn: the VAT return takes, frankly, seconds. It is a software printout - actually on-screen.

Because we are importing and exporting, we have to do the Intrastat - which is also software generated.

Larger business is usually ok as they need the accounting systems in place anyway.

It tends to affect the smaller businesses and start-ups, the ones who should be concentrating on becoming successful and creating jobs, not worrying about bureaucracy.

• Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,971
    edited March 2017
    surbiton said:

DavidL said:

I have been VAT registered as an individual for the last 17 years. I have never been tempted by the flat rate tax. The truth is that the records needed for VAT returns are also needed for tax and I would get into a hell of a mess if I only tried to sort it out once a year. As it is I copy my VAT books and send them onto the accountant who then produces a return.

My wife does my VAT returns for me. It takes her about 5 hours a quarter (a significant part of the work is done by Faculty Services Ltd, a services company for pretty much all practicing advocates in Scotland. I accept that those without this may take longer). I of course pay her for this and get to deduct the wages from tax.

It is not without its irritations but I sometimes think that complaints about the bureaucracy are a little over stated. It is annoying that I now have a completely pointless registration fee for data protection whose sole purpose seems to be to create some well paid employment but it is still minor.

Agreed. It is massively exaggerated. The business I run, annual turnover £25mn: the VAT return takes, frankly, seconds. It is a software printout - actually on-screen.

Because we are importing and exporting, we have to do the Intrastat - which is also software generated.
    Yes, for a larger company it's much easier, all the numbers are in the "System" and at the end of the month/quarter/year a "VAT Report" comes out.

For a one man band service provider he's dealing with the VAT on all his service invoices, and the VAT on all his expenses, to include goods for resale, transport, subsistence etc. If he's lucky he might have a wife to help him (to whom he can pay £40k a year as a PA, thus maximising income tax allowances ;) ) but it's a right pain in the arse to keep on top of it all when you're trying to do stuff that earns you money.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,145
    FF43 said:

FF43 said:

My best guess is that there will be an enforceable figure of less than €60 billion in the Separation Agreement but we will be able to pay it down over time in return for "access". Both sides accept we need access. The amount of access won't change the total figure but it may determine the rate of pay down. Theresa May can then claim there was no one-off payment and the access charges are less than our previous EU membership fees. The EU gets that enforceable figure, albeit it won't ever be enforced.

Nothing. We pay them as we're leaving the block and that reflects our relative bargaining strengths. Neither side can realistically walk away, but it's even less realistic for us - if that makes sense.

Currently the UK does not accept we have residual obligations; the EU side doesn't accept payment is linked to the ongoing relationship. Both sides have to move. The key figure I think is £8 billion a year, which is our current net contribution. The new figure will have to be less than that, but it may not be a lot less. At least to begin with. There's a possibility of renegotiation later.

Neville Chamberlain negotiating.

If you go into a negotiation already planning to give things away and to demand nothing you lose out.

Its the sort of negotiating that Blair used when he gave away the Rebate not what Thatcher used to win the Rebate.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    FF43 said:

FF43 said:

It will be between £5bn and £6bn IMHO. Large enough reduction that May can claim a meaningful victory (especially from the gross figure) but not so large it is difficult for the other members to fill
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256

surbiton said:

DavidL said:

Larger business is usually ok as they need the accounting systems in place anyway.

It tends to affect the smaller businesses and start-ups, the ones who should be concentrating on becoming successful and creating jobs, not worrying about bureaucracy.

There is no bureaucracy. You simply note the VAT on all your invoices and spilt off the VAT element on bill received. Each month deduct the total of one from the total of theother and place the balance in a deposit account. Once a quarter send the amount off to HMRC.

I have never understood what is so confusing about it. It involves one subtraction operation per month and one payment every three months.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,169

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

If you go into a negotiation already planning to give things away and to demand nothing you lose out.

Its the sort of negotiating that Blair used when he gave away the Rebate not what Thatcher used to win the Rebate.
    Quite right. Going into the negotiations planning to give away our membership of the EU would be a grave error of statecraft. I'm glad some Brexiteers, such as your good self, can see this with such piercing clarity.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,030
    Charles said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

It will be between £5bn and £6bn IMHO. Large enough reduction that May can claim a meaningful victory (especially from the gross figure) but not so large it is difficult for the other members to fill
    There will be no specific payment for access. What we will.pay - and I think willingly -will be for participation in specific programmes concerning science and education. Since we have decided against membership of the single market and the EEA then there is no reason for us to make a contribution other than for those specific programmes.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,300

surbiton said:

DavidL said:

There is no bureaucracy. You simply note the VAT on all your invoices and spilt off the VAT element on bill received. Each month deduct the total of one from the total of theother and place the balance in a deposit account. Once a quarter send the amount off to HMRC.

I have never understood what is so confusing about it. It involves one subtraction operation per month and one payment every three months.
    It isn't that simple on digital sales.....
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,030
    surbiton said:

DavidL said:

Do you do that yourself or is your time too valuable? That is not sarcasm but a genuine comment as I would suggest anyone actually running a company with employees is wasting their time and talents if they are doing tax and VAT themselves. In which case how much is it costing you to pay someone to do it for you both internally and with your accountants?

• Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    After the #ObamaGate tweets,

Sean Spicer
    (1/4) Reports concerning potentially politically motivated investigations immediately ahead of the 2016 election are very troubling.

(2/4) President Trump is requesting that as part of their investigation into Russian activity, the congressional intelligence committees

(3/4) exercise their oversight authority to determine whether executive branch investigative powers were abused in 2016.

(4/4) Neither the White House nor the President will comment further until such oversight is conducted.
  • Options

Charles said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

There will be no specific payment for access. What we will.pay - and I think willingly -will be for participation in specific programmes concerning science and education. Since we have decided against membership of the single market and the EEA then there is no reason for us to make a contribution other than for those specific programmes.
    I'd see transition payments for an adjustment period as well. But not a payment for access per se
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    edited March 2017
    How much would be saved if we simply cut the current and future pensions for UK nationals who worked for the EU - presumably part of what we would be paying for - post Brexit.

Lord Kinnock receives a £100k annual index linked pension alone for just 7 years work in Brussels. Lord Mandy and Baroness Ashton also have big pensions for just four years work way in excess of UK public sector equivalents. Baroness Ashton's pension is based on an EU salary which I believe was equivalent to what President Obama and HIllary Clinton as Secretary of State were paid at the same time COMBINED!

Couldn't we just slash these pensions to the level they would have got as UK MPs or civil servants on the grounds of 'they cost too much and are extortionate anyway'. Let Mandelson and Kinnock take us to court if they don't like it.
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,801

Express (usual health warnings) reporting limited appetite in Scotland for SINDYREF2:

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/775165/Nicola-Sturgeon-SNP-Scotland-referendum-independence-UK-indyref2-EU

Polling company looks legit but Id wait to read the actual questions put....

The one-quarter share stated looks to be in line with other polls - but missing the crucial option of wanting a referendum soon after the Brexit terms are announced
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    malcolmg said:

Thank you Nigel, I only give back what I get , I am perfectly affable when conversing with people who are interested in discussing a topic in an intelligent and sensible manner.

Let's go the tape...
    malcolmg said:

Scotland does not borrow money or have any debt, it is not allowed to, it is all done by the UK, LOL.

Scott_P said:

Chapter 2 - Borrowing Powers

18. The Scotland Act 2012 allows Scottish Ministers to undertake borrowing to fund capital expenditure

LOL

An actual quote from the relevant legislation. What measured response does that elicit?
    malcolmg said:

It is not the 2 Trillion that UK have borrowed and does not constitute having "Borowing Powers" unless you are a cowed lickspittle Scottish Tory happy with a few crumbs from the table and unable to make your own decisions, an institutionalised cap doffing dullard with no intellect or ability to make personal decisions.

Perfectly affable...

Turnip.
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,801
    Cyan said:

Cyan said:

surbiton said:

Grim news:

No wonder, NHS Scotland is doing so much better.
    For some kinds of health issue, the NHS has practically broken down in some areas of Scotland.
    Which ones? And are there are reasons for the rise in mortality? ....... and I don’t mean lack of doctors or whatever. I mean health issues.
    NHS dentistry in most of the Western Isles. A third of the population are being refused registration. Theoretically they could hunt for an NHS dentist on the mainland, but typically that would mean going out at 6am and getting back at 9pm, with around nine hours of travel by land and sea in between, for each appointment. Even those who are registered are sometimes kept waiting indefinitely for appointments - up to 18 months in some cases. Registration refusees are advised only to show up at the emergency service if painkillers aren't working and their sleep is being affected. Having constant toothache isn't sufficient. Then it's a quick extraction or three, and any other problems in their gobs aren't even looked at.

I don't know about the mortality, although there must be reasons for it. A massive spike to double the rate in England and Wales surely can't be down to a slightly greater preference north of the border, on average, for fatty foods.
    Not wishing to belittle the inhabitants of the Western Isles, but a non-lethal problem affecting 0.5% of the Scottish population is hardly evidence of an imminent collapse
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,799
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Cyan said:

Cyan said:

surbiton said:

Grim news:

For some kinds of health issue, the NHS has practically broken down in some areas of Scotland.
    Which ones? And are there are reasons for the rise in mortality? ....... and I don’t mean lack of doctors or whatever. I mean health issues.
    h there must be reasons for it. A massive spike to double the rate in England and Wales surely can't be down to a slightly greater preference north of the border, on average, for fatty foods.
    Utter bollox, I see local dentists advertising for NHS patients, do you live on Rockall you cretinous halfwit.
    How helpful to a patient in the Western Isles is a Dentist in Ayrshire? Who is the cretinous half wit?
    I know exactly
    A severe shortage of dentists on Lewis is forcing islanders to seek treatment on the mainland.

Waiting lists have been frozen on the island and unregistered patients can only receive treatment in emergencies. The equivalent of six full-time dentists work in Stornoway and the town's £4.7m dental centre, which opened in 2011 and boasts seven purpose-built surgeries, is underused.

Islander Margaret Murray has launched a petition urging the Scottish Government to intervene.

"The only way we can register as NHS dental patients at the moment is to travel away from the island, to a town such as Inverness," she said.

https://stv.tv/news/highlands-islands/1381394-severe-island-dentist-shortage-hits-patients-on-lewis/
  • Options
    Some vintage Ladbrokes coverage

BBC Archive
    #Onthisday 1965: Here's one for fans of retro grumbling, as people moan about the telephone service https://t.co/imJoPBMWJs
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    brendan16 said:

How much would be saved if we simply cut the current and future pensions for UK nationals who worked for the EU - presumably part of what we would be paying for - post Brexit.

Lord Kinnock receives a £100k annual index linked pension alone for just 7 years work in Brussels. Lord Mandy and Baroness Ashton also have big pensions for just four years work way in excess of UK public sector equivalents. Baroness Ashton's pension is based on an EU salary which I believe was equivalent to what President Obama and HIllary Clinton as Secretary of State were paid at the same time COMBINED!

Couldn't we just slash these pensions to the level they would have got as UK MPs or civil servants on the grounds of 'they cost too much and are extortionate anyway'. Let Mandelson and Kinnock take us to court if they don't like it.

You don't get to billions of pounds via a few well-paid people, as much as I agree their remuneration was extortionate.

However having spoken to people who work in Brussels, most of their income - and pensions - are from national governments to begin with. I haven't yet seen how the €60bn breaks down but I am interested as to how the Commission came up with it.
  • Options
    Bvetter French speakers: when Fillon's campaign says "On se battre jusqu'au bout" my reading is "we are fighting to the end" - but could it be past tense, or in anticipation of the end being soon?
  • Options
    edited March 2017

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

We're negotiating a separation and a new relationship, not an optional modification of an existing relationship. Time is not on our side. The risk IMO is that we waste time and capital on this unimportant stuff and end up paying anyway, instead of negotiating a settlement that's more in our interests. The EU will want to settle in the end but there is a short term advantage for them to string the negotiations along so business and opportunities can shift to the larger block before they agree to an arrangement that protects their interests. It's in our interest to settle early.
  • Options

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

Quite right. Going into the negotiations planning to give away our membership of the EU would be a grave error of statecraft. I'm glad some Brexiteers, such as your good self, can see this with such piercing clarity.
    You're talking gibberish.

If you were so concerned about EU membership you should have opposed the moves to EverCloserUnion and the surrender negotiations conducted by Blair and Cameron.
  • Options
    Press Secretary statement

#BREAKING Trump is requesting congressional intel committees to determine whether the Obama adm. abused its investigative powers in 2016 https://t.co/6gUQtxJSpJ
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

I'd see transition payments for an adjustment period as well. But not a payment for access per se
    The only way I could see a payment for access working is if it were paid by banks in exchange for a proper full single market in financial services. Maybe the govt would be so kind as to reduce exceptional taxes on banks at the same time. That way the govt pays nothing but the British have to pay billions. Win-win.
  • Options

Bvetter French speakers: when Fillon's campaign says "On se battre jusqu'au bout" my reading is "we are fighting to the end" - but could it be past tense, or in anticipation of the end being soon?

It must be either 'on se bat' or 'on va se battre'?

Not past tense, but doesn't exclude the possibility that the end is very near.
  • Options

Charles said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

Indeed.

Paying for membership of specific programmes makes sense.

But there is no requirement to pay for free trade with a declining part of the world with which the UK has a huge current account deficit with.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

BBC Archive
    #Onthisday 1965: Here's one for fans of retro grumbling, as people moan about the telephone service https://t.co/imJoPBMWJs

In some parts of the world, we still have to deal with entrenched monopoly telecoms "service" providers, who take a dozen hours of your time to sort out phone and Internet, and make you feel that you should be grateful that they choose to serve you at all.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

BBC Archive

I'm afraid I did laugh at their acronym for 'subscriber trunk dialling'. An interesting example of how things change over time!

Fascinating as well to see how many of those comments could be applied to cable broadband today.
  • Options

But there is no requirement to pay for free trade with a declining part of the world with which the UK has a huge current account deficit with.

The very existence of the trade deficit shows that it is trade that the UK is more than willing to pay for and is voting with its wallet.
  • Options
    edited March 2017

It doesn't make grammatical sense to me because it links a pronoun to the infinitive. In English something like "We to fight to the end"
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

PlatoSaid said:

BBC Archive

In some parts of the world, we still have to deal with entrenched monopoly telecoms "service" providers, who take a dozen hours of your time to sort out phone and Internet, and make you feel that you should be grateful that they choose to serve you at all.
    'Some parts of the world' seems a strange way to refer to BT.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    FF43 said:

It doesn't make grammatical sense to me because it links a pronoun to the infinitive. In English something like "We to fight to the end"
    WIlliamGlenn's point as well.

I don't know if French speakers abbreviate for Twitter and if so, how. But I did copy it from the tweet.

Edit: can't find the Tweet to double check, maybe it was a bad quote.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    PlatoSaid said:

#BREAKING Trump is requesting congressional intel committees to determine whether the Obama adm. abused its investigative powers in 2016 https://t.co/6gUQtxJSpJ

Obama's plan to hang around Washington and agitate against Trump was never going to work. The message couldn't be clearer , piss off Barry or else.
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    edited March 2017

You don't get to billions of pounds via a few well-paid people, as much as I agree their remuneration was extortionate.

However having spoken to people who work in Brussels, most of their income - and pensions - are from national governments to begin with. I haven't yet seen how the €60bn breaks down but I am interested as to how the Commission came up with it.

I was referring to slashing all such pensions - I assume they all are as extortionate pro rata as presumably they are based on the same EU schemes. It's happening in the US and will soon happen here anyway in terms of public sector schemes - particularly the unfunded schemes in central government.

If the argument for much of this £60 billion is 'future pension liabilities' isn't the answer simply to cut the pensions so much of that bill disappears.

It would be nice as you say to see a breakdown of the £60 bn figure - if that is just our share one wonders what the future cost to the entire EU will be of these EU bureaucrats pensions? It could reach not far off a trillion euros now and more over time - really?!
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

The only way I could see a payment for access working is if it were paid by banks in exchange for a proper full single market in financial services. Maybe the govt would be so kind as to reduce exceptional taxes on banks at the same time. That way the govt pays nothing but the British have to pay billions. Win-win.
    If financial institutions wish to pay for access to the single market they would be entitled to set those costs off as a business expense and so reduce their tax liability.

Just as any business or individual can already do for membership of trade organisations.

But they shouldn't have a specific tax cut to recompense them for this expense.

Rather the extra expense would be effectively paid for by their customers in the countries they are paying to have access to.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,324
    sarissa said:

Cyan said:

Cyan said:

surbiton said:

Grim news:

NHS dentistry in most of the Western Isles. A third of the population are being refused registration. Theoretically they could hunt for an NHS dentist on the mainland, but typically that would mean going out at 6am and getting back at 9pm, with around nine hours of travel by land and sea in between, for each appointment. Even those who are registered are sometimes kept waiting indefinitely for appointments - up to 18 months in some cases. Registration refusees are advised only to show up at the emergency service if painkillers aren't working and their sleep is being affected. Having constant toothache isn't sufficient. Then it's a quick extraction or three, and any other problems in their gobs aren't even looked at.

I don't know about the mortality, although there must be reasons for it. A massive spike to double the rate in England and Wales surely can't be down to a slightly greater preference north of the border, on average, for fatty foods.
    Not wishing to belittle the inhabitants of the Western Isles, but a non-lethal problem affecting 0.5% of the Scottish population is hardly evidence of an imminent collapse
    I suppose one should always try to differentiate between local circumstances and systemic failure.

'Charity Dentists Filling Gaps In NHS Funding'

http://tinyurl.com/zewnzyd

'Third World’ dentistry crisis in England

http://tinyurl.com/gtab4qn

Amusingly, inevitably, there's even a Brexit angle.

'Brexit and dentistry'

http://tinyurl.com/jmw9s9x

• Options
    PlatoSaid said:

https://twitter.com/juliamacfarlane/status/838392486225670144
  • Options

The very existence of the trade deficit shows that it is trade that the UK is more than willing to pay for and is voting with its wallet.
    People can continue to pay if they so chose and EU business will pay to have access to that market if they so chose.
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    ydoethur said:

PlatoSaid said:

BBC Archive

I'm afraid I did laugh at their acronym for 'subscriber trunk dialling'. An interesting example of how things change over time!

Fascinating as well to see how many of those comments could be applied to cable broadband today.
    I still call them STD codes. Am I the only one? Please don't go making me feel old :/
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/reuters/status/838395495026462720

What's he going to do when congress says "no" ?
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Cyan said:

Cyan said:

surbiton said:

Grim news:

h there must be reasons for it. A massive spike to double the rate in England and Wales surely can't be down to a slightly greater preference north of the border, on average, for fatty foods.
    Utter bollox, I see local dentists advertising for NHS patients, do you live on Rockall you cretinous halfwit.
    How helpful to a patient in the Western Isles is a Dentist in Ayrshire? Who is the cretinous half wit?
    I know exactly
    A severe shortage of dentists on Lewis is forcing islanders to seek treatment on the mainland.

Waiting lists have been frozen on the island and unregistered patients can only receive treatment in emergencies. The equivalent of six full-time dentists work in Stornoway and the town's £4.7m dental centre, which opened in 2011 and boasts seven purpose-built surgeries, is underused.

Islander Margaret Murray has launched a petition urging the Scottish Government to intervene.

"The only way we can register as NHS dental patients at the moment is to travel away from the island, to a town such as Inverness," she said.

https://stv.tv/news/highlands-islands/1381394-severe-island-dentist-shortage-hits-patients-on-lewis/
    6 FTEs for seven surgeries seems about right if you want to maintain hygiene standards. Hardly "underused"
  • Options
    edited March 2017

FF43 said:

WIlliamGlenn's point as well.

I don't know if French speakers abbreviate for Twitter and if so, how. But I did copy it from the tweet.

Edit: can't find the Tweet to double check, maybe it was a bad quote.
    Yes, I think they missed a word, in this case va ---- On va se battre au bout. We will fight to the end.

I have this problem too, where I drop words when I type, so I have to go back and add them in. Is that something I should be worried about?
  • Options
    "Ils disaient que @FrancoisFillon était seul" ("they said he stood alone") his campaign tweets. Now in to 9/1 to win the presidency from 14/1.

I'm not throwing good money after bad.
  • Options
    Even Sir Lyton couldn't have imagined the sort of Trump-esque dead cat routine...
  • Options
    Speaker on stage:

"It is because you are here today that we will carry Fillon to victory."

So the question facing me primarily is whether Juppé can mount a hostile takeover.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Scott_P said:

U know they are so partisan now wouldn't be surprised if they come up with conclusion that makes him happy.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,010

Speaker on stage:

So the question facing me primarily is whether Juppé can mount a hostile takeover.

Fillon is staying on the ballot I think. And he clearly still has a hardcore of support. If both FIllon and Juppe are on the ballot then neither makes it to R2.
  • Options

Even Sir Lyton couldn't have imagined the sort of Trump-esque dead cat routine...

I'm not sure this tops the 'Did Ted Cruz's dad shoot JFK?' number...
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Pulpstar said:

Speaker on stage:

Fillon is staying on the ballot I think. And he clearly still has a hardcore of support. If both FIllon and Juppe are on the ballot then neither makes it to R2.
    Having them both in the race is surely a pitch to defy political gravity. Usually my sense is that such feats rarely stand.

p.s. I feel sorry for Bayrou if that happens!

p.p.s I wonder if Juppé could endorse Macron IIF the LR establishment disowns Fillon.
  • Options

I'm not sure this tops the 'Did Ted Cruz's dad shoot JFK?' number...
    God I had forgotten about that one.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,756

ydoethur said:

PlatoSaid said:

BBC Archive

I still call them STD codes. Am I the only one? Please don't go making me feel old :/
    That’s what I call them. However, I have only just learnt that it stands for 'subscriber trunk dialling'.

Every day is a school day on PB!
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,059
    nunu said:

Scott_P said:

U know they are so partisan now wouldn't be surprised if they come up with conclusion that makes him happy.
    "Go find some evidence. And if you can't find any, make it up, m'kay"
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    @Thewhiterabbit I don't think its inconceivable FIllon makes it to round 2. The high polling of Juppe in the theoretical polls is a bit generic republican vs Hillary. He could well outperform his polling. I've not gone mad backing him, but I think those that have laid him at high prices have a fair chance to be up shit creek.
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651

ydoethur said:

PlatoSaid said:

BBC Archive

That’s what I call them. However, I have only just learnt that it stands for 'subscriber trunk dialling'.

Ta muchly. I feel less of a weirdo now.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

@Thewhiterabbit I don't think its inconceivable FIllon makes it to round 2. The high polling of Juppe in the theoretical polls is a bit generic republican vs Hillary. He could well outperform his polling. I've not gone mad backing him, but I think those that have laid him at high prices have a fair chance to be up shit creek.

I have a problem as you do with Juppé-on-his-own polls, but surely Juppé and Fillon on the ballot kills any chance of either of them making it.

Actually you were the one that stopped me really dropping Fillon. We shall see..
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/franceinfo/status/838398033435975681

Chartier making the very fair point that Fillon won the primary of the right !
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,211
    Pulpstar said:

Is there a difficulty for the pollsters when it comes to estimating Macron's support? I'm not an expert on their methodology, but is it difficult to weight support based on past votes given that En Marche! is a new party?
  • Options
    @Thewhiterabbit Well you have my own book so you can see my precise thoughts on all the prices currently :>

I can't offer any guarantees but I hope I'm right on this !
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

Is there a difficulty for the pollsters when it comes to estimating Macron's support? I'm not an expert on their methodology, but is it difficult to weight support based on past votes given that En Marche! is a new party?
    I honestly don't know about your general point but Macron is especially quick to point out En Marche! is a movement and not a party (only on PB, eh)!!
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

Yep I think he may well slightly underperform his polling. Of course that may well be enough for him to ultimately win (And I think he is rightly favourite now) but it is psychologically tricky for people to cross a new party in the ballot box.
  • Options
    I

LOVE

HARRY
  • Options

ydoethur said:

PlatoSaid said:

BBC Archive

In the (really) olden days, calling outside your area meant a call to the 'operator', an actual human who would literally patch (on a board in front of them, with cables and jacks) your long-distance call through to the recipient. STD meant that by dialling a certain code the subscriber could do it by themselves.

An older version of automation leading to redundancy of semi-skilled jobs, As it were.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

@Thewhiterabbit Well you have my own book so you can see my precise thoughts on all the prices currently :>

I can't offer any guarantees but I hope I'm right on this !

(I did get your message BTW there was not much I could say in response.)

I don't fancy Juppé for my winnings (unless he displaces Le Pen completely!) in which case I suppose I want Fillon in.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,375

No, it's present tense.
  • Options

I

LOVE

HARRY

So does my fantasy football team.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,211

tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

I honestly don't know about your general point but Macron is especially quick to point out En Marche! is a movement and not a party (only on PB, eh)!!
    So does that mean they won't be putting up candidates in the parliamentary election?
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

If financial institutions wish to pay for access to the single market they would be entitled to set those costs off as a business expense and so reduce their tax liability.

Just as any business or individual can already do for membership of trade organisations.

But they shouldn't have a specific tax cut to recompense them for this expense.

Rather the extra expense would be effectively paid for by their customers in the countries they are paying to have access to.
    Agree, the tax cut would be of the "bankers' bonus tax". Banks who wished to trade in the EU could pay (if they wished, and if the price was right) for EU market access. Banks based in the UK would be free to pay their staff whatever the company and employee agreed between themselves.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Ils pensent que je suis seul. Ils veulent que je sois seul. Est-ce que nous sommes seuls ?

Defiant tweeting coming from Fillon.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

I think it's significant that he already has more grassroots nominations from elected representatives than Hamon.

https://presidentielle2017.conseil-constitutionnel.fr/les-parrainages/parrainages-par-candidat/
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Ils pensent que je suis seul. Ils veulent que je sois seul. Est-ce que nous sommes seuls ?

He's channelling Tiffany?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,110
    brendan16 said:

They would sue us, and we would lose. The courts do not look kindly on those who attempt to welch on their pension obligations.
  • Options
    edited March 2017

No, it's present tense.
    So he's saying "We do fight to the end", in other words he's continuing his campaign.

Subtle political language must be very difficult to translate.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Et qui va payer pour le mur?!!
  • Options
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

"Vous êtes une certaine idée de la France"

It's a tribute act to General De Gaulle.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Et qui va payer pour le mur?!!
    Alain Juppe !
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

I think it's significant that he already has more grassroots nominations from elected representatives than Hamon.

https://presidentielle2017.conseil-constitutionnel.fr/les-parrainages/parrainages-par-candidat/
    wouldn't place too much weight on what is a nominal requirement for mainstream candidates.
  • Options
    If the final two is Fillon and Le Pen, I'll be crying like a disgraced televangelist.
  • Options
    He's making a big pitch for Le Pen voters here !
  • Options
    @aljwhite: Delighted to announce the scheduled maintenance on Paul Nuttall's website has been completed.
  • Options

I

LOVE

HARRY

So does my fantasy football team.
    I sold him for the greater good of Spurs .... my powers work again!
  • Options
    Flipping get on with it Fillon.

I need to write the next thread PDQ.
This discussion has been closed.