Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Local By-Election Preview : February 9th 2017

Comments

• Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,856

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Apple 'optimistic' about post Brexit UK
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-38920860

bastards

dont they read William Glenn ?
    Clearly one of the world's most successful companies has not got the Glenn memo!
    meanwhile as Greece burns , the Germans have a party

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-38918804
    Germany still holds most of the cards, yes
    hmmm

I must say, as someone who is a genuine germanophile, this really is Germany at its worst.

They knew the Greeks should never have gone in to the Euro, but contrived to turn a blind eye

Now when its all gone tits up they have run from their repsonsibility to help them out of a mess they helped create and are piling endless misery on a helpless people

Appalling
    Thats what a real economy looks like, not one based on people lashing up their credit cards in nail bars.
    Bloody Germans,
    combining a high wage, manufacturing economy with liberal democracy. Breaks all the rules of the protectionist nationalists.
    Yes. All it took was impoverishing Southern Europe and locking in a 40% undervaluation in their currency. Dick.
    Serial devaluation and inflation solves no problems, as we will shortly find out.
    Are you thick or just being obtuse on purpose? Since you're a doctor I'm hoping it isn't the former.
    serial devaluation has never been a marker of economic succes. There is no short cut to virtue.
    That certainly has been the German mantra since the Second World War. Hard Mark/Euro. If you find it difficult to compete you reduce your costs or improve your product. They have been quite successful.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,960
    Does Katya Adler speak every language? Very impressive.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,798
    Mortimer said:

Well this BBC2 programme is making it seem like the EU is sinking ship.

Absolutely. The fall of the wall seems to have been a disaster for Western Europe.
    1989 is the seminal year of our lives, it was the year everything changed and all the certainties of previous decades were tossed into the air

it destroyed communism
    released globalisation
    reshaped global priorities

Western Europe still hasnt come to terms with its consequences
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

Is there any disadvantage to running a trade surplus?

Reliant on the fortunes of others?
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,014

Are we all watching bbc2 take on the rise of popularism across the EU?

No. I am watching YouTube on replacing standing rigging and the advantages of hi-mod fittings over rod-rigging
    Hello sailor!
    Aaaharrr me hearties! Shiver me timbers!! :D
    From your avatar, hopefully you haven't gone and joined those EU luvvies in Sinn Fein!
    Looks like a Galway Hooker to me.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,127
    Charles said:

kle4 said:

Charles said:

maaarsh said:

kle4 said:

Although disqualified for non attendance , the Ratepayer in Fylde will be re elected easily . The Conservative plot to remove him will backfire on them badly .

Are the plot and the disqualification separate things? Because if they didn't attend, it doesn't take a plot to mean a by-election must occur due to disqualification, surely, unless there was a good reason for the absence and the council refused to authorise it?
    He has severe agoraphobia . The council is allowed to waive the 6 month rule in circumstances they feel justified but apparently the Conservatives insisted on it .
    Why on earth does he want to win a position he is entirely unable to fulfill?
    See: http://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/news/councillor-loses-seat-over-illness-1-8190655

An interesting and sad case. Agoraphobia is a terrible illness, and it seems this chap felt he was able to do a reasonable job using phone and IT.
    I note from the article that the council can only make a dispensation of he asks for it and the gentleman in question did not
    Well if that is the case then it would seem there was indeed no plot and thus no blame to attach.
    @MarkSenior always sees a plot when the Tories are concerned.
    Merely being a Tory* is itself a plot against decent folk, I have no doubt. The word meant brigand or outlaw in the mid 1600s, and it still does now!

*I am happy to substitute left wing for Tory for the sake of balance.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,336
    edited February 2017
    The German comedy they showed living up to stereotype....
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,044
    edited February 2017
    What I want to know is, if the Euro is undervalued - what on earth does that make the pound.

@ Inception

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/events/the_launch_of_emu/euro_latest/245679.stm

£ / Eur 1.4175
    EUR / USD 1.16675

Now we're at £ / Eur 1.1727
    & Eur / USD 1.0748

So the Euro has dropped 7.9% relative to the USD - which is annoying Trump and his team.

But ! We've dropped 17.3% relative to the Euro, and 35% relative to the USD.

What reassures me is the massive trade surplus that we'll get due to our superior exporting power whilst our currency is temporarily under the pump ;)

• Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

bastards

Clearly one of the world's most successful companies has not got the Glenn memo!

hmmm

I must say, as someone who is a genuine germanophile, this really is Germany at its worst.

They knew the Greeks should never have gone in to the Euro, but contrived to turn a blind eye

Now when its all gone tits up they have run from their repsonsibility to help them out of a mess they helped create and are piling endless misery on a helpless people

Appalling
    The Greeks did not have to join the Euro
    of course not, and the rest of Europe didnt have to let them
    Perhaps but it was the Greeks who took the risk
    Nah both sides made it happen

Europe bent the rules to let them in, they are complicit in the mess
    Yes but it is the Greeks who will feel the most pain if they have to get out
    theyre screwed

but the germans havent the moral platform to realise they should man up and help sort out the mess
    If the Greeks get back on with the task of tackling their deficit they may
    their debts at 180% of GDP are beyond manageable, they need debt relief but the germans wont budge even though they know they have zero chance of getting all their money back
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,978
    Blimey, this bbc brexit program is pretty gloomy about the EU.

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,260

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

bastards

hmmm

Appalling

theyre screwed

but the germans havent the moral platform to realise they should man up and help sort out the mess
    their debts at 180% of GDP are beyond manageable, they need debt relief but the germans wont budge even though they know they have zero chance of getting all their money back
    Germany has given rescue packages to Greece before, it will only get another one if it sticks to its austerity measures
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013
    FF43 said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

bastards

hmmm

Appalling
    Thats what a real economy looks like, not one based on people lashing up their credit cards in nail bars.
    Bloody Germans,
    combining a high wage, manufacturing economy with liberal democracy. Breaks all the rules of the protectionist nationalists.
    Yes. All it took was impoverishing Southern Europe and locking in a 40% undervaluation in their currency. Dick.
    Serial devaluation and inflation solves no problems, as we will shortly find out.
    Are you thick or just being obtuse on purpose? Since you're a doctor I'm hoping it isn't the former.
    serial devaluation has never been a marker of economic succes. There is no short cut to virtue.
    That certainly has been the German mantra since the Second World War. Hard Mark/Euro. If you find it difficult to compete you reduce your costs or improve your product. They have been quite successful.
    That's true. But, if everyone behaved like Germany, no one would prosper.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,029
    kle4 said:

Charles said:

kle4 said:

Charles said:

maaarsh said:

kle4 said:

Although disqualified for non attendance , the Ratepayer in Fylde will be re elected easily . The Conservative plot to remove him will backfire on them badly .

Are the plot and the disqualification separate things? Because if they didn't attend, it doesn't take a plot to mean a by-election must occur due to disqualification, surely, unless there was a good reason for the absence and the council refused to authorise it?
    He has severe agoraphobia . The council is allowed to waive the 6 month rule in circumstances they feel justified but apparently the Conservatives insisted on it .
    See: http://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/news/councillor-loses-seat-over-illness-1-8190655

An interesting and sad case. Agoraphobia is a terrible illness, and it seems this chap felt he was able to do a reasonable job using phone and IT.
    I note from the article that the council can only make a dispensation of he asks for it and the gentleman in question did not
    Well if that is the case then it would seem there was indeed no plot and thus no blame to attach.
    Merely being a Tory* is itself a plot against decent folk, I have no doubt. The word meant brigand or outlaw in the mid 1600s, and it still does now!

How can you be sure it wasn't a filthy neutral plot? :o
  • Options

BBC = Tories!!! :lol:
  • Options
    edited February 2017

Not sure ever seen the bbc show something so negative about the EU project. This programme made it seem like the most unhappy family where the head of the family ain't listening to anything the rest say.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,669
    Pulpstar said:

What I want to know is, if the Euro is undervalued - what on earth does that make the pound.

@ Inception

£ / Eur 1.4175
    EUR / USD 1.16675

& Eur / USD 1.0748

So the Euro has dropped 7.9% relative to the USD - which is annoying Trump and his team.

What reassures me is the massive trade surplus that we'll get due to our superior exporting power whilst our currency is temporarily under the pump ;)

The IMF say the DM would be valued at $1.70, which compares to $1.07 or there abouts. It is currency manipulation by any other name.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

bastards

hmmm

Appalling

theyre screwed

Germany has given rescue packages to Greece before, it will only get another one if it sticks to its austerity measures
    Rescue packages that have not written off the debt...
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362

The German comedy they showed living up to stereotype....

The programme made me more thankful we are out.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

FF43 said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

bastards

hmmm

Appalling
    Bloody Germans,
    Thats what my Dad told me.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

bastards

hmmm

Appalling

theyre screwed

the rescue packages are debt rollover, not debt relief
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

bastards

hmmm

Appalling

theyre screwed

German voters are certainly not going to allow Merkel to write off the debt at the moment which they would then be paying for
  • Options
    RobD said:

kle4 said:

Charles said:

kle4 said:

Charles said:

maaarsh said:

kle4 said:

How can you be sure it wasn't a filthy neutral plot? :o
    We do not plot, sir, and I shall thank you not to defame my people :)
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,191
    edited February 2017
    chestnut said:

Devaluation only happens in a fixed exchange rate system. Floating currencies 'depreciate'.

Actually, the word "devaluation" refers to the reduction of one currency measured in another. It can be used for both fixed and floating exchange rates. Although I accept "depreciate" is a better word.

Aargh, my pedantry gene...
    chestnut said:

Sterling was $1.05 to the £ in 1985...

Yes it was (altho' wasn't it 1.08?). But it should be pointed out that the $1.05/8 only lasted for a very short time, whereas the current malaise of GDP/USD has already gone on for some months now and isn't likely to improve between now and Article 50 in March
    chestnut said:

...and far closer to parity with the € in 2008/2009 than it is now.

Fair point, and although it should be said that GBP/EUR was around 1.4/1,5 for about 7 years before 2008, it has since then fluctuated greatly, and it's current 1.15 or thereabouts is awkward but not painful

But this just serves to highlight the extremity of GBP/USD: it hasn't been this low this long ever. It's closer to the 60's devaluation in terms of lasting effect than the ERM.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

bastards

hmmm

Appalling

theyre screwed

German voters are certainly not going to allow Merkel to write off the debt at the moment which they would then be paying for
    of course not

but the consequence is Germans are quite happy for Greece to sink into the sea
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,314
    Sean_F said:

FF43 said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

bastards

hmmm

Appalling
    Bloody Germans,
    A strange thing for a conservative to say.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

bastards

hmmm

Appalling

theyre screwed

of course not

Well Greece can leave the Euro if it really has to, if it wants to stay Germany sets the rules
  • Options

That's true, but they are not paying interest at the rate implied by that 180%. There's a lot of pretence going on: that the money owed will ever be paid and that the Greeks could, if they defaulted, get loans at rates anything like the current terms with the Eurozone countries

• Options
    HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

bastards

hmmm

Appalling

theyre screwed

It should be sold as getting something will be better than:

1) getting nothing when
    2) Greece crashes out of the Euro and the currency rises
  • Options

Sean_F said:

FF43 said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

bastards

hmmm

Appalling
    Bloody Germans,
    Its true though. The paradox of thrift.

However on an individual level its better to be thrifty than profligate.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

bastards

hmmm

Appalling

theyre screwed

It should be sold as getting something will be better than:

1) getting nothing when
    2) Greece crashes out of the Euro and the currency rises
    Until Greece shows it itself even willing to contemplate leaving the Euro that won't happen
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,685

Sean_F said:

FF43 said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

bastards

hmmm

Appalling
    Bloody Germans,
    A silly thing for anyone to say.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @Reuters: BREAKING: U.S. Appeals Court says it will issue decision on trump travel ban before end of business today reut.rs/2kNzES1
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,978

Not sure ever seen the bbc show something so negative about the EU project. This programme made it seem like the most unhappy family where the head of the family ain't listening to anything the rest say.
    I thought the most revealing part of the program was the German bloke saying how wonderful the EU and the euro had been for Germany. What a shame its been at the expense of southern Eurooe.

And a floor 5 and a half at the EU offices? Eh?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

bastards

hmmm

I must say, as someone who is a genuine germanophile, pless people

Appalling
    Nah both sides made it happen complicit in the mess
    theyre screwed

their debts at 180% of GDP areey have zero chance of getting all their money back
    of course not

Well Greece can leave the Euro if it really has to, if it wants to stay Germany sets the rules
    it really should, but then the position is likely to worsen if there is no debt relief

the new Drachma will rapidly depreciate

hard currency debts paid for by a weak currency wont work
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

bastards

hmmm

Appalling
    Bloody Germans,
    I'm rapidly changing my mind to the former option, I weep for the NHS if this is the standard of intelligence in our medical staff.
    Serial devaluation and inflation was how Britain tried to adjust in the sixties and seventies. How did that go?

Mrs Thatcher squeezed out inflation, in part by high interest rates pushing up the value of Sterling. Tough on many parts of Britain certainly, and I agree that tbere is anargument that the benefit was not worth the cost, but not totally dissimar to what is going on in Europe now.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

That's true, but they are not paying interest at the rate implied by that 180%. There's a lot of pretence going on: that the money owed will ever be paid and that the Greeks could, if they defaulted, get loans at rates anything like the current terms with the Eurozone countries

of course they cant, thats why debt relief is essential and Germany needs to face up to its reposnibilities
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

@ Inception

£ / Eur 1.4175
    EUR / USD 1.16675

& Eur / USD 1.0748

The ECB, BOE, and BOJ are all trying to devalue their currencies at the moment, and Trump is trying to talk down the USD. Given the perpetual anti-German stance of PB, the ECB is singled out for criticism but the other three...not so much.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341

I thought the most revealing part of the program was the German bloke saying how wonderful the EU and the euro had been for Germany. What a shame its been at the expense of southern Eurooe.

The Italians will be the death of the euro.

The EU is already starting to crumble - one of it's biggest economies and most populous countries has just voted to bugger off.

It's like California leaving the USA or East Germany leaving the communist bloc.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

I'm rapidly changing my mind to the former option, I weep for the NHS if this is the standard of intelligence in our medical staff.

How about engaging on the arguments, instead of gratuitously insulting other commentators? You're not coming across as particularly intelligent yourself. I'm sure you could be, if you tried.
  • Options
    edited February 2017

There was a really good freakonomics episode with a labour economist talking about globalisation and how politicians (and economists) have for far too long just looked at things like GDP and gone we are doing great and those that lost out to an industry moving to lower cost economy will simply retrain and move to new jobs...the guy explains why this has been flawed thinking and why we got trump etc.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

MaxPB said:

How about engaging on the arguments, instead of gratuitously insulting other commentators? You're not coming across as particularly intelligent yourself. I'm sure you could be, if you tried.
    Max is a teenage scribbler. He has no memory of how inflation wrecks countries.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,821
    edited February 2017
    Sean_F said:

FF43 said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

bastards

hmmm

Appalling
    Bloody Germans,
    I have been mildly tickled by the Spiegel anti-Trump, anti-Putin and anti-Brexit rhetoric, recently.

Not saying I dig it, but it wasn't exactly an unambiguous success the last time the Germans dominated Europe and went up against the US, UK and Russia all at the same time.
  • Options
    Hmm our credit outlook is "negative" with all the major rating agencies...
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,272
    MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

@ Inception

£ / Eur 1.4175
    EUR / USD 1.16675

& Eur / USD 1.0748

The IMF say the DM would be valued at $1.70, which compares to $1.07 or there abouts. It is currency manipulation by any other name.
    Of course, Trump's comments about the likely collapse of the Eurozone have probably pushed the currency down 5-10% too. Come to mention it, the proposed Border Tax Adjustment has also pushed the US up relative to the Euro.

• Options
    MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

@ Inception

£ / Eur 1.4175
    EUR / USD 1.16675

& Eur / USD 1.0748

I remember it used to be about 2.5-3 DMs to the pound.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

FF43 said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

bastards

hmmm

Appalling
    Bloody Germans,
    I have been mildly tickled by the Speigel anti-Trump, anti-Putin and anti-Brexit rhetoric, recently.

Not saying I dig it, but it wasn't exactly an unambiguous success the last time the Germans dominated Europe and went up against the US, UK and Russia all at the same time.
    Lol. Indeed. Central European overconfidence and assertiveness has rarely ended well.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

If I understand correctly, conservatives in the UK currently believe in a weak currency, increased government spending, a credit boom, increasing taxes, leaving free markets, and reducing debts by stoking inflation to inflate it away.

If you want to attach a generator to Thatcher's spinning body, I reckon we could generate a couple of megawatts.

• Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,669
    FF43 said:

MaxPB said:

Insults is all you're getting. Posting on PB has turned into a chore with all of the stupidity from normally thoughtful posters. Brexit and Trump seems to have sent people off the edge of some kind of a cliff and they (you) are all stuck in this "Germany = good" even when they are blatantly exploiting their position within a fixed currency system and hollowing out Southern Europe.

Hopefully when we do leave the EU those who can't be reconciled fuck off to Brussels and those who can will just get over it.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Sean_F said:

FF43 said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

bastards

hmmm

Appalling
    Bloody

Whenever our economy starts to look like it's doing pretty well we all spend and borrow money like it's going out of fashion. Always.

That goes for both HMG and individual Brits.

One begins to think it's cultural.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Sean_F said:

If I understand correctly, conservatives in the UK currently believe in a weak currency, increased government spending, a credit boom, increasing taxes, leaving free markets, and reducing debts by stoking inflation to inflate it away.

If you want to attach a generator to Thatcher's spinning body, I reckon we could generate a couple of megawatts.

Spending is still falling, just at a lower rate
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

FF43 said:

MaxPB said:

Insults is all you're getting. Posting on PB has turned into a chore with all of the stupidity from normally thoughtful posters. Brexit and Trump seems to have sent people off the edge of some kind of a cliff and they (you) are all stuck in this "Germany = good" even when they are blatantly exploiting their position within a fixed currency system and hollowing out Southern Europe.

Hopefully when we do leave the EU those who can't be reconciled fuck off to Brussels and those who can will just get over it.
    Brussels is a shithole. I was shocked just how dull it was. No wonder they have to move to Strasbourg once a month.
  • Options
    "Where's the revolution?" - Essex synthesizer boys Depeche Mode's new single

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsCR05oKROA
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    MaxPB said:

FF43 said:

MaxPB said:

Or maybe you should go to bed and hopefully not wake up being radged?
  • Options
    edited February 2017

Sean_F said:

FF43 said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

bastards

hmmm

I must say,

Appalling
    Bloody Germans,
    I have been mildly tickled by the Spiegel anti-Trump, anti-Putin and anti-Brexit rhetoric, recently.

Except things are very different now, indeed roles are reversed, with Germany (and other parts of the EU) being anti-militarist, pro capitalist, liberal, democracies, with the militaristic protectionist autocrats in the other corner. Big difference.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

If memory serves, of the several debt doodads that Greece has received, one or two actually did involve actual debts being written off. The others involved delayed payments or swapping one debt instrument for another (which are technically also debt writeoffs, btw, but that's not what you meant).
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460

MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

@ Inception

£ / Eur 1.4175
    EUR / USD 1.16675

& Eur / USD 1.0748

3.6 when I lived in Germany in the mid 80's. Think it was 20 odd in the 60's. Interestingly 5ps used to work perfectly as 1DM in vending machines in the mid 80's - do the maths. So I was told (of course).
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

Sean_F said:

I thought it was still increasing, just not by as much? Happy to be corrected if wrong.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

Sean_F said:

I thought it was still increasing, just not by as much? Happy to be corrected if wrong.
    As a percentage of gdp it is falling
  • Options
    welshowl said:

MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

@ Inception

£ / Eur 1.4175
    EUR / USD 1.16675

& Eur / USD 1.0748

3.6 when I lived in Germany in the mid 80's. Think it was 20 odd in the 60's. Interestingly 5ps used to work perfectly as 1DM in vending machines in the mid 80's - do the maths. So I was told (of course).
    It is not the DM (or nominal equivalent) that has appreciated, it is the other currencies devaluing.

Sterling is tading at a trade weighted low. Indeed, depite the recent FTSE highs, the drop in Sterling makes the UK one of the worst places ito invest in equities.
  • Options
    Is our own MarqueeMark in the QT audience this evening?
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Mortimer said:

Oh god what a line up...jahadi Claire, Owen thingy, billy Bragg and failed dancer Ann widdy.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,052

Pulpstar said:

Sean_F said:

FF43 said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

bastards

hmmm

Appalling
    Bloody

Whenever our economy starts to look like it's doing pretty well we all spend and borrow money like it's going out of fashion. Always.

That goes for both HMG and individual Brits.

One begins to think it's cultural.
    Indeed. A little bit of wage growth and we never hear the word "deficit" any more.
  • Options
    It is the membership's support he really needs, not MPs
  • Options

What a dumb question. It's in Islington, everyone knows that.

Catchy though

Where's the revolution? Come on, people, you're letting me down.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

FF43 said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

bastards

hmmm

I must say,

Appalling
    Bloody Germans,

Except things are very different now, indeed roles are reversed, with Germany (and other parts of the EU) being anti-militarist, pro capitalist, liberal, democracies, with the militaristic protectionist autocrats in the other corner. Big difference.
    Lol. The Allies are the Nazis now.

Got it.
  • Options
    Any guesses when the local by-election results are expected tonight?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

Sean_F said:

Ah, we're back to relative/percentages vs absolute values again. If my height increases by one inch, but everybody else's height increase by two inches, is it more accurate to describe my height to have increased (in an absolute sense it has) or decreased (in a relative sense, it has)
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460

welshowl said:

MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

@ Inception

£ / Eur 1.4175
    EUR / USD 1.16675

& Eur / USD 1.0748

It is not the DM (or nominal equivalent) that has appreciated, it is the other currencies devaluing.

Sterling is tading at a trade weighted low. Indeed, depite the recent FTSE highs, the drop in Sterling makes the UK one of the worst places ito invest in equities.
    Internationally that may well be so. But if your liabilities in a pension scheme are in Sterling a rise in the FTSE100 as a result of a fall in Sterling is still an unalloyed good thing. I'm still waiting for interest rates to rise as a result of the Pound falling, but I'm hopeful.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Oh god what a line up...jahadi Claire, Owen thingy, billy Bragg and failed dancer Ann widdy.
    Indeed. I think Anne Widdecombe will be the most in touch with the common ground of Torbay...
  • Options

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsCR05oKROA

I love the Mode but they've been calling for a revolution - and being "let down" - since A Broken Frame.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Indeed. I think Anne Widdecombe will be the most in touch with the common ground of Torbay...
    It seems QT, like newsnight, really struggle to book leading politicians outside a very small group eg naughty nige, lady Nugee.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

FF43 said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

bastards

hmmm

I must say,

Appalling
    Bloody Germans,
    That successful.

Lol. The Allies are the Nazis now.

Got it.
    Nope. But it is equally ridiculous to depict the current Germany as Nazi. Germany has a political, economic and social system that we should emulate.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

Sean_F said:

Ah, we're back to relative/percentages vs absolute values again. If my height increases by one inch, but everybody else's height increase by two inches, is it more accurate to describe my height to have increased (in an absolute sense it has) or decreased (in a relative sense, it has)
    Percentage of gdp is the key because is the economy is growing faster than any spending increase you can more than pay it off, the key is to get spending as a percentage of gdp closer to the 36.9% of gdp the UK receives in tax as it was in the 1990s
  • Options
    According to Twitter, Liberal Democrat GAIN Fairford North (Cotswold) from Conservative
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

It seems QT, like newsnight, really struggle to book leading politicians outside a very small group eg naughty nige, lady Nugee.
    Ann Widdecombe was pretty senior but the top Cabinet Ministers are almost never on outside election time as they have other things to do
  • Options

Any guesses when the local by-election results are expected tonight?

Not long - according to Britain Elects we've got the first one in - LDs gain Fairford North
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @britainelects: Fairford North (Cotswold) result:
    LDEM: 68.1% (+40.2)
    CON: 30.1% (-20.9)
    GRN: 1.8% (+1.8)
    UKIP didn't stand this time round.
  • Options
    Fairford North (Cotswold) result:
    LDEM: 68.1% (+40.2)
    CON: 30.1% (-20.9)
    GRN: 1.8% (+1.8)
    UKIP didn't stand this time round
  • Options

According to Twitter, Liberal Democrat GAIN Fairford North (Cotswold) from Conservative

"Go back to your parish councils and prepare for refuse collection!!!!!"

:lol:
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Ann Widdecombe was pretty senior but the top Cabinet Ministers are almost never on outside election time as they have other things to do
    And it's riskier if they cock up.
  • Options

UKIp put in the trash for recycling...
  • Options
    Look at that surge. Go back to your constituencies and prepare for this to not really materialise in a GE...
  • Options
    Really will be fascinating to see if the LDs get even half the boosts they're getting in some of these isolated by-elections (turnouts are low, but not necessarily much lower than you get in the May locals a lot of the time).

Sadly, my council will not be counting overnight, for shame. And they counted the PCC elections overnight!
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

I am pretty certain QT back in the day used to be (shadow) ministers (of some rank) + journo + business leader / religious person / think tank. Newsnight definitely used to have minister or shadow on every night, where as now nobody ever appears on that show.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

And it's riskier if they cock up.
    Certainly
  • Options

Doing rubbish well is a useful skill, no?
  • Options
    "QT definitely used to have minister or shadow on every night, where as now nobody ever appears on that show."

No-one watches it either. I usually don't mind the Panel, it's the audience that makes me change channels.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,556

There was a really good freakonomics episode with a labour economist talking about globalisation and how politicians (and economists) have for far too long just looked at things like GDP and gone we are doing great and those that lost out to an industry moving to lower cost economy will simply retrain and move to new jobs...the guy explains why this has been flawed thinking and why we got trump etc.

James Goldsmith was saying essentially that over 20 years ago, but because of who he was, and his anti-EU and anti-Euro stances, he was seen as a crank by almost all of the political and media establishment. The amazing thing to me having never read what he said until relatively recently was how "left wing" his analysis of the likely effects of globalisation was, you could virtually put his words in the mouth of the most right-on liberal and it would sound natural.

I certainly agree about the obsession with GDP — which goes in hand with neatly ignoring population changes, income distribution, and individuals experiences — to paint a far rosier picture than is deserved.

None of this is to say that we should turn the clock back, but we should certainly treat with some scepticism the idea that free trade and globalisation are inherently good.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Ann Widdecombe's role was the go to person for justifying the unjustifiable. That role doesn't seem to exist any more.
  • Options
    edited February 2017

Isn't waste collection a district or county level function? Waste is no laughing matter, doctor.
  • Options

"QT definitely used to have minister or shadow on every night, where as now nobody ever appears on that show."

No-one watches it either. I usually don't mind the Panel, it's the audience that makes me change channels.

https://youtu.be/p3tUqRBiMVo
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    Anorak said:

Anorak said:

Are we all watching bbc2 take on the rise of popularism across the EU?

No. I am watching YouTube on replacing standing rigging and the advantages of hi-mod fittings over rod-rigging
    Who'd have thought putting up a sex-swing was so complicated. Stick to hammocks, I say,
    Sex swings??? If I catch you doing that on my boat I will bring you up with a round-turn and have you whipped with the spinnaker halyard. And you are not to enjoy it!!!
    Sorry, ma'am. Won't do it again, ma'am. Discipline me if you must, but not with the cat 'o nine tails!
    :D
  • Options
    Chris_AChris_A Posts: 1,237
    FF43 said:

HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Ann Widdecombe's role was the go to person for justifying the unjustifiable. That role doesn't seem to exist any more.
    I dunno. Amber Rudd justifies the completely bleedingly obviously unjustifiable every time she opens her gob.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Anorak said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

dixiedean said:

He claims agoraphobia.
    I hate those damn rabbits too
    lagos is Rabbit, surely? Agora is marketplace.
    Have you never had a jumper made of agora wool?
    I have one of angora (goat) wool...
    Believe or not, this is an angora rabbit:
    http://www.amusingplanet.com/2014/01/angora-rabbit-world-fluffiest-bunny.html

Where's Plato when you need her to appreciate a post?
    :smiley:
  • Options
    Sometimes these LD surges are coming from nowhere, so I'd advise Harry, if not certain, to just guess LD Gain at the moment, just in case.
This discussion has been closed.