Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Local By-Election Preview : February 9th 2017

Comments

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,318

HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Is our own MarqueeMark in the QT audience this evening?

Oh god what a line up...jahadi Claire, Owen thingy, billy Bragg and failed dancer Ann widdy.
    Indeed. I think Anne Widdecombe will be the most in touch with the common ground of Torbay...
    It seems QT, like newsnight, really struggle to book leading politicians outside a very small group eg naughty nige, lady Nugee.
    Ann Widdecombe was pretty senior but the top Cabinet Ministers are almost never on outside election time as they have other things to do
    I am pretty certain QT back in the day used to be (shadow) ministers (of some rank) + journo + business leader / religious person / think tank. Newsnight definitely used to have minister or shadow on every night, where as now nobody ever appears on that show.
    Shadow not Cabinet for QT
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,960

"QT definitely used to have minister or shadow on every night, where as now nobody ever appears on that show."

No-one watches it either. I usually don't mind the Panel, it's the audience that makes me change channels.

The audience are not popular with progressives because they represent the commmon ground of the people.
  • Options
    Ooooh - Claire Perry gets the question...
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,556

I am pretty certain QT back in the day used to be (shadow) ministers (of some rank) + journo + business leader / religious person / think tank. Newsnight definitely used to have minister or shadow on every night, where as now nobody ever appears on that show.

The calibre of the guests matches the calibre of the presenters and journalists.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Oh god what a line up...jahadi Claire, Owen thingy, billy Bragg and failed dancer Ann widdy.
    Indeed. I think Anne Widdecombe will be the most in touch with the common ground of Torbay...
    It seems QT, like newsnight, really struggle to book leading politicians outside a very small group eg naughty nige, lady Nugee.
    Ann Widdecombe was pretty senior but the top Cabinet Ministers are almost never on outside election time as they have other things to do
    Shadow not Cabinet for QT
    Minister != cabinet...
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    kle4 said:

Sometimes these LD surges are coming from nowhere, so I'd advise Harry, if not certain, to just guess LD Gain at the moment, just in case.

Fairford North

LD 610
    Con 270
    Green 16
  • Options
    Was par for the course until they entered government, back on again now they are in opposition. Fairford voted Remain too
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256

Anorak said:

Are we all watching bbc2 take on the rise of popularism across the EU?

No. I am watching YouTube on replacing standing rigging and the advantages of hi-mod fittings over rod-rigging
    Who'd have thought putting up a sex-swing was so complicated. Stick to hammocks, I say,
    Sex swings??? If I catch you doing that on my boat I will bring you up with a round-turn and have you whipped with the spinnaker halyard. And you are not to enjoy it!!!
    Keel haul the Brexiteers Cap'n Bev!
    Full broadsides... go straight at 'em and board in the smoke!
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,223
    Katy Perry squirming on QT.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhart - thank you, kind sir! "Boris Johnson would make a better Boris Johnson than Boris Johnson!" How true, how very true.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,139

"QT definitely used to have minister or shadow on every night, where as now nobody ever appears on that show."

No-one watches it either. I usually don't mind the Panel, it's the audience that makes me change channels.

https://youtu.be/p3tUqRBiMVo
    Love that sketch. The incoherent audience members, the panelist impressions. Very on the nose.

I'm stunned Enfield is only 55.
  • Options

From your avatar, hopefully you haven't gone and joined those EU luvvies in Sinn Fein!

Merely my Brexit insurance policy. Begorrah!
  • Options
    That's it. The next government will be Lib Dem.

I never thought it would happen. But yet another Lib dem gain in a parish council. Well that has convinced me.
  • Options

https://youtu.be/p3tUqRBiMVo
    I never get tired of watching the sketch. When they finally get to the panelists it becomes an absolute classic. "The Tories The Tories The Tories" - sums up political argument in Great Britain since c. 1900.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Why are they asking about her experiences with Russell Brand?
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Billy Bragg going down like a bucket of cold sick in torquay.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

I never thought it would happen. But yet another Lib dem gain in a parish council. Well that has convinced me.

If they win Stoke or Copeland then they can really start talking
  • Options
    Were there really UKIP to LibDem switchers in huge numbers, or is this a turnout thing?

• Options
    tlg86 said:

Katy Perry's on QT? Is she doing 'I Kissed A Girl?'.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited February 2017
    We have reached that point where some people complain so much that no one else listens any more or it becomes counter-productive,

If the NHS is really on it's knees, if the social care system is really collapsing, if house prices are really un-affordable and if the streets are really paved with the homeless - why would we give our cash to people outside, when everything inside is so hideously bad and our people need rescuing?
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

The audience are not popular with progressives because they represent the commmon ground of the people.
    In my case, your analysis is spot on. As Brecht said, it's time to abolish the People and chose another one.
  • Options
    edited February 2017

kle4 said:

Sometimes these LD surges are coming from nowhere, so I'd advise Harry, if not certain, to just guess LD Gain at the moment, just in case.

Fairford North

LD 610
    Con 270
    Green 16
    16! Oof, even in low turnout elections that has to hurt. How many people need to sign your nomination papers? 10 isn't it?

I wonder if anyone has literally only gotten 1 vote in an election. *time for googling*
  • Options
    chestnut said:

We have reached that point where some people complain so much that no one else listens any more or it becomes counter-productive,

If the NHS is really on it's knees, if the social care system is really collapsing, if house prices are really un-affordable and if the streets are really paved with the homeless - why would give our cash to people outside, when everything inside is so hideously bad and our people need rescuing?

The Tories, The Tories, The Tories.....
  • Options

I gave up watching QT five or six years ago. It does not sound like i have missed anything.

Thursday night used to be QT followed by This Week.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

If the NHS is really on it's knees, if the social care system is really collapsing, if house prices are really un-affordable and if the streets are really paved with the homeless - why would we give our cash to people outside, when everything inside is so hideously bad and our people need rescuing?

Well we voted for Brexit
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Not a parish council. And yes, no one expects them to win a GE based off these. But it's always nice to see an underdog start to fight back at some level.
  • Options
    Owen thingy makes Corbo look good. What a shower.
  • Options
    Smith heavily booed on saying Brexit would be a disaster
  • Options
    Just noticed the Green candidate in Fairford was 'Xanthe Messenger'. Should have got more votes just for that awesome name.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    edited February 2017
    Lefties getting a kicking on QT

Now we have kids in the audience telling the panel to grow up! Make them right
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Mortimer said:

Not a parish council. And yes, no one expects them to win a GE based off these. But it's always nice to see an underdog start to fight back at some level.
    Gah. It's a JOKE.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

kle4 said:

Mortimer said:

Gah. It's a JOKE.
    Yes I figured, but without the universal sign of a :) one can never be too sure - plenty say the same thing in all seriousness.
  • Options

I gave up watching QT five or six years ago. It does not sound like i have missed anything.

Question Time is like doing a jigsaw - a pointless way to pass the time until you die!
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,885
    Chris_A said:

FF43 said:

HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Ann Widdecombe's role was the go to person for justifying the unjustifiable. That role doesn't seem to exist any more.
    I dunno. Amber Rudd justifies the completely bleedingly obviously unjustifiable every time she opens her gob.
    Of course! You've found the one. Importantly, she was set up by Theresa May specially for that role.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    No LD standing in Corby - guess they have to let the others win some occasionally.
  • Options
    Tendring Great and Little Oakley UKIP gain from Ins

UKIP 216
    Con 171
    Lab 117
    LDem 83
  • Options
    isam said:

Lefties getting a kicking on QT

Now we have kids in the audience telling the panel to grow up! Make them right

Owen Smith speaks in platitudes.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @BraddJaffy: 9th Circuit has ruled AGAINST Trump, @PeteWilliamsNBC reports; order blocking the ban remains in place
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    @britainelects: Waterside (North Norfolk) result:
    LDEM: 55.1% (+19.8)
    CON: 34.8% (-4.8)
    UKIP: 6.5% (+6.5)
    LAB: 3.5% (-8.5)
    No Green this time round.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    kle4 said:

Mortimer said:

The one time the LDs got some national power they lost most of their council seats, so at least they can console themselves that now you can fit their presence at Westminster in the back of a taxi again they will be retaking council planning and refuse committees up and down the country
  • Options

UKIP 216
    Con 171
    Lab 117
    LDem 83

Wait wait wait...UKIP won a council by-election?!
  • Options
    Labour hold Corby
    Lib Dem gain North Norfolk Waterside from Con
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,958
    Mortimer said:

Owen thingy makes Corbo look good. What a shower.

Owen Who?
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    So many stupid loaded questions on QT. No room for nuance.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    kle4 said:

UKIP 216
    Con 171
    Lab 117
    LDem 83

Wait wait wait...UKIP won a council by-election?!
    It's not winning that's the problem, it's keeping them.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    9th circuit upholds travel ban suspension.

Shouldn't make fun of people who you want to be on your side.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,885

FF43 said:

their debts at 180% of GDP are beyond manageable, they need debt relief but the germans wont budge even though they know they have zero chance of getting all their money back

That's true, but they are not paying interest at the rate implied by that 180%. There's a lot of pretence going on: that the money owed will ever be paid and that the Greeks could, if they defaulted, get loans at rates anything like the current terms with the Eurozone countries

of course they cant, thats why debt relief is essential and Germany needs to face up to its reposnibilities
    My point is that effectively there is very substantial debt relief, but no-one admits to it. One unspoken benefit to Greece therefore is that they can get interest rates from the Eurozone that are a lot lower than would be the case if they defaulted and tried to raise money on the open market. And don't believe the IMF is an honest broker. Their only real aim is to ensure that THEIR OWN debts get repaid. If Greece doesn't do it, Germany can, as far as they are concerned
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@BraddJaffy: 9th Circuit has ruled AGAINST Trump, @PeteWilliamsNBC reports; order blocking the ban remains in place

5...4...3...2...1...trump tweet...
  • Options
    Corby

Lab 610
    Con 252
    Green 82

N Norfolk

LDem 649
    Con 410
    UKIP 77
    Lab 41
  • Options
    nunu said:

Erm, have you not seen QT before? That is how it works.
  • Options
    nunu said:

The people do not reward nuanced positions, and we get the politicians we deserve as a result.
  • Options

Question Time is like doing a jigsaw - a pointless way to pass the time until you die!
    Sunil, darling - where have you been hiding? I would have thought you had no time for QT as you traversed the rail network.

• Options

Scott_P said:

Sad!
  • Options

EASY D
  • Options
    nunu said:

9th circuit upholds travel ban suspension.

Shouldn't make fun of people who you want to be on your side.

FAKE JUDGEMENT. Those are fake Judges. Proper Judges do as they are told.

:D:D:D

• Options
    I have always called them Judas Judges...Failing the people...we need to restore judges to honesty and integrity...Make judges great again.
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807
    Scott_P said:

Another impressive win for the Liberals when real votes are counted in real ballot boxes. This is becoming a theme.
  • Options

Sunil, darling - where have you been hiding? I would have thought you had no time for QT as you traversed the rail network.

[Sunil puts on his best Jon Richardson voice]
    Slumming it in Manchester this week. Just after arrival from London on Monday afternoon, I did the Guide Bridge to Rose Hill line (walked a very short way on the trackbed south of Rose Hill on the defunct Macclesfield line).
    On Tuesday, did Leeds to Skipton (had already done the Transpennine service from Piccadilly to Leeds in August). Class 333s on the electric lines northwest of Leeds outwardly identical to the Class 332 Heathrow Express.
    Then yesterday did Deansgate to Leyland (south of Preston), Preston to Blackpool North, and the entire Blackpool Tramway. Modern tram similar to other UK cities, but did see the traditional "balloon tram", albeit on a driver training run.
    And then today Manchester Victoria to Leeds via Brighouse and return journey via Bradford and Halifax, then I did Victoria to Stalybridge, and then walked the route of upcoming second city crossing from Exchange Square to St Peters.

I have no idea what I'm travelling on tomorrow, haven't decided yet :)
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited February 2017
    I'm curious to know just how bad things would have to get in the seven countries named by Trump for these judges to agree to the vetting process. Somalia, Syria and Libya are already in a state of civil war or governmental collapse for example. Somalia hasn't had a functioning government since 1991.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    So next stop is Supreme Court...

For nerd information

From @ABAesq: "9th Circuit has the 2nd highest reversal rate at 80%....The median reversal rate is 68.29%"
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Jobabob said:

Scott_P said:

Another impressive win for the Liberals when real votes are counted in real ballot boxes. This is becoming a theme.
    Though they lost out in Tendring to UKIP
    https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/829835869557252096
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

They have no chance in those seats as you know full well. When they were last tested in a seat where they had an outside chance they walloped the Tory who was sat on a massive majority.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

So next stop is Supreme Court...

For nerd information

From @ABAesq: "9th Circuit has the 2nd highest reversal rate at 80%....The median reversal rate is 68.29%"

By the time they get through all of this the 90 days will have elapsed.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

I'm curious to know just how bad things would have to get in the seven countries named by Trump for these judges to agree to the vetting process. Somalia, Syria and Libya are already in a state of civil war or governmental collapse for example. Somalia hasn't had a functioning government since 1991.

https://twitter.com/reuters/status/829835518842118146
  • Options
    @britainelects: Great & Little Oakley (Tendring) result:
    UKIP: 36.8% (+14.1)
    CON: 29.1% (+1.4)
    LAB: 19.9% (+5.5)
    LDEM: 14.1% (+14.1)
    No Independent as prev.
  • Options
    bunncobunnco Posts: 169
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,051
    Trump's last tweet was 8 hours ago.

Its one from his staff too, not him.

Has he had it removed ?
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

They have no chance in those seats as you know full well. When they were last tested in a seat where they had an outside chance they walloped the Tory who was sat on a massive majority.
    Technically he was standing as an independent in an area which voted over 70% Remain, of course the Tories did manage to hold Remain voting Witney
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

Slumming it in Manchester this week. Just after arrival from London on Monday afternoon, I did the Guide Bridge to Rose Hill line (walked a very short way on the trackbed south of Rose Hill on the defunct Macclesfield line).
    On Tuesday, did Leeds to Skipton (had already done the Transpennine service from Piccadilly to Leeds in August). Class 333s on the electric lines northwest of Leeds outwardly identical to the Class 332 Heathrow Express.
    Then yesterday did Deansgate to Leyland (south of Preston), Preston to Blackpool North, and the entire Blackpool Tramway. Modern tram similar to other UK cities, but did see the traditional "balloon tram", albeit on a driver training run.
    And then today Manchester Victoria to Leeds via Brighouse and return journey via Bradford and Halifax, then I did Victoria to Stalybridge, and then walked the route of upcoming second city crossing from Exchange Square to St Peters.

I have no idea who Jon Richardson is or was, but we do need that like button back.
  • Options
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Jobabob said:

Scott_P said:

https://twitter.com/election_data/status/829834571332087809

https://twitter.com/winatpolitics/status/829833943948083201
    UKIP gain from independent. So what? Liberal vote was massively up. Interesting.
  • Options
    Biggest applauses and cheers of the night for Widders. Good on her!

More in touch with the people than any of the elected members on the panel.
  • Options

Good grief? You are up here? Are you riding the Metro as well?

I have no idea who Jon Richardson is or was, but we do need that like button back.

:Like:

• Options
    edited February 2017
    Scott_P said:

AndyJS said:

https://twitter.com/reuters/status/829835518842118146
    So they're waiting for it to happen first. Good strategy.
  • Options
    Trump finding out he is not the Emperor of America then.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Has he had it removed ?

Trump is a spoof president and a fucking idiot.

Best to ignore.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Odd time to take a nap.
  • Options
    @britainelects: St John's (Fylde) result:
    FRAT: 60.8% (+15.9)
    CON: 30.0% (+4.4)
    LAB: 4.9% (-8.4)
    GRN: 4.3% (+4.3)
    No IND and LDEM candidate as previous.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,371
    edited February 2017
    I have a sneaking suspicion that Steve bannon isn't unhappy about this court ruling ...if it was about crafting a policy that effectively banning people from certain countries they could have simply copied obama's approach of slowing visa applications down to snails pace.

The question is was this about playing to the base and setting up if something does happen in the future or is it the opening anchoring position of some sort of long term change enforced by supreme court.
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

Pulpstar said:

Has he had it removed ?

Best to ignore.
    Spoof of your word of the day!

Could you give us a definition? Someone who disagrees with the views of Bobajob = spoof?
  • Options
    @SkyNewsBreak: U.S. President Donald Trump has tweeted "SEE YOU IN COURT, THE SECURITY OF OUR NATION IS AT STAKE!" following Appeals Court decision on ban
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Scott_P said:

@SkyNewsBreak: U.S. President Donald Trump has tweeted "SEE YOU IN COURT, THE SECURITY OF OUR NATION IS AT STAKE!" following Appeals Court decision on ban

Trump is probably enjoying this, (assuming the polls show his position has widespread support with voters).
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

LOL. More in touch with young fogeys in Torquay than the rest of the panel, that I will grant you.
  • Options

Trump finding out he is not the Emperor of America then.

It was never going to happen, he could never be Emperor.

It is meant to become a Theocracy instead :)
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,322
    edited February 2017
    Will it go to the Supreme Court before Gorsuch takes his seat?

Can the Government delay its appeal until after Gorsuch is in place? Or is there a time limit by when they must appeal?

Presumably Gorsuch must be in place before the case starts in order to vote?

Without Gorsuch surely Government must lose - 4-4 would be the best they could do - which would mean lower Court's ruling stands.

Even with Gorsuch is there a chance Kennedy / Roberts might have taken a disliking to Trump and go against him?
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

Mortimer said:

LOL. More in touch with young fogeys in Torquay than the rest of the panel, that I will grant you.
    Another definition request please Job: young fogeys= voters?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

(Did he really tweet that?)

No.. surely not...

FAKE TWEET
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Scott_P said:

Trump is probably enjoying this, (assuming the polls show his position has widespread support with voters).
    Tbh CNN, CBS, PPP, and Gallup polls have all shown majorities against his travel ban. Quinnipac, Reuters, Ramussen show it the other way. So it's hard to tell.
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    r.e Germany's dominance of the Euro/EU, it's very likely they will gradually lose this hegemony due largely to demographics and population decline. France is the healthiest country demographically (excluding UK) and is likely to become at least close to level pegging with Germany economically, and therefore much more dominant politically in the coming decade(s). So we should expect a French turn on fiscal policy etc, to the benefit of other southern european states (so it would be mad for France to Frexit, they would be throwing away potential leadership).
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Will it go to the Supreme Court before Gorsuch takes his seat?

Can the Government delay its appeal until after Gorsuch is in place? Or is there a time limit by when they must appeal?

Presumably Gorsuch must be in place before the case starts in order to vote?

Even if they get gorsuch through the senate (and that might require republicans to alter the rules) I think they are saying even if it all goes swimmingly he won't take up his place until April.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Jobabob said:

Pulpstar said:

Has he had it removed ?

Best to ignore.
    Spoof of your word of the day!

Could you give us a definition? Someone who disagrees with the views of Bobajob = spoof?
    I always assumed 'Mortimer' was a spoof (a good one). Perhaps I was wrong?
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,228
    bunnco said:

LibDems win North Norfolk by election

It's Alan Partridge's fault...

• Options
    Scott_P said:

@britainelects: St John's (Fylde) result:
    FRAT: 60.8% (+15.9)
    CON: 30.0% (+4.4)
    LAB: 4.9% (-8.4)
    GRN: 4.3% (+4.3)
    No IND and LDEM candidate as previous.

I passed through Poulton-le-Fylde on the way to Blackpool yesterday :)
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

HYUFD said:

Jobabob said:

Scott_P said:

https://twitter.com/election_data/status/829834571332087809

https://twitter.com/winatpolitics/status/829833943948083201
    UKIP gain from independent. So what? Liberal vote was massively up. Interesting.
    LD vote increase was no higher than UKIP's
This discussion has been closed.