Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Local By-Election Preview : February 9th 2017

124»

Comments

• Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807

Scott_P said:

@SkyNewsBreak: U.S. President Donald Trump has tweeted "SEE YOU IN COURT, THE SECURITY OF OUR NATION IS AT STAKE!" following Appeals Court decision on ban

(Did he really tweet that?)

No.. surely not...

FAKE TWEET
    Fake tweet from a spoof president.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,139
    Sometimes I wonder if trump really is so thin skinned and reactionary all the time, or if it's now part of his brand, so even when he isn't flying off the handle it's expected so he has to.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,372
    edited February 2017

AndyJS said:

Scott_P said:

@SkyNewsBreak: U.S. President Donald Trump has tweeted "SEE YOU IN COURT, THE SECURITY OF OUR NATION IS AT STAKE!" following Appeals Court decision on ban

Trump is probably enjoying this, (assuming the polls show his position has widespread support with voters).
    Tbh CNN, CBS, PPP, and Gallup polls have all shown majorities against his travel ban. Quinnipac, Reuters, Ramussen show it the other way. So it's hard to tell.
    My reading from the polls is it about 45/55...which is a lot closely that I would have imagined. If there is a terrorist attack and trump is able to say told you so that would switch around. It certainly isn't as unpopular as the media have made it seem.

This EO isn't about effective policy, it just isn't 100% clear what it is for.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,318

r.e Germany's dominance of the Euro/EU, it's very likely they will gradually lose this hegemony due largely to demographics and population decline. France is the healthiest country demographically (excluding UK) and is likely to become at least close to level pegging with Germany economically, and therefore much more dominant politically in the coming decade(s). So we should expect a French turn on fiscal policy etc, to the benefit of other southern european states (so it would be mad for France to Frexit, they would be throwing away potential leadership).

It is migration the French are worried about and economically they are unlikely to ever overtake Germany or be in as healthy an economic state
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Jobabob said:

HYUFD said:

Jobabob said:

Scott_P said:

@britainelects: Waterside (North Norfolk) result:
    LDEM: 55.1% (+19.8)
    CON: 34.8% (-4.8)
    UKIP: 6.5% (+6.5)
    LAB: 3.5% (-8.5)
    No Green this time round.

Another impressive win for the Liberals when real votes are counted in real ballot boxes. This is becoming a theme.
    Though they lost out in Tendring to UKIP
    https://twitter.com/election_data/status/829834571332087809

https://twitter.com/winatpolitics/status/829833943948083201
    UKIP gain from independent. So what? Liberal vote was massively up. Interesting.
    LD vote increase was no higher than UKIP's
    Yes. Good increase for the Liberals who are doing well when real votes are in placed in real ballot boxes. You would be a fool to ignore it.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,318
    Jobabob said:

HYUFD said:

Jobabob said:

HYUFD said:

Jobabob said:

Scott_P said:

Another impressive win for the Liberals when real votes are counted in real ballot boxes. This is becoming a theme.
    Though they lost out in Tendring to UKIP
    https://twitter.com/election_data/status/829834571332087809

https://twitter.com/winatpolitics/status/829833943948083201
    UKIP gain from independent. So what? Liberal vote was massively up. Interesting.
    LD vote increase was no higher than UKIP's
    Yes. Good increase for the Liberals who are doing well when real votes are in placed in real ballot boxes. You would be a fool to ignore it.
    It is all relative, the Liberals had their worst performance since the 1970 general election in 2015, the only way was up!
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Sometimes I wonder if trump really is so thin skinned and reactionary all the time, or if it's now part of his brand, so even when he isn't flying off the handle it's expected so he has to.

Can anyone be so angry on a permanent basis? He needs help, not the presidency.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    edited February 2017
    Feels like there are approved ads a la twitter on PB tonight, is this a new feature? Promoted posts?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @ProfChalmers: Scenario: Supreme Court splits 4-4 on restraining order, order stays. Case ends up there later on merits, Gorsuch on bench; Trump loses 5-4.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    edited February 2017
    kle4 said:

nunu said:

So many stupid loaded questions on QT. No room for nuance.

The people do not reward nuanced positions, and we get the politicians we deserve as a result.
    True.

Why is everyone assuming Gorsuch will decide with Trump? He seems very sensible informed person to me.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,372
    edited February 2017
    Police in the Netherlands say they have seized a haul of raw drugs material that would have been enough to make a billion ecstasy pills.

Just for personal consumption officer....
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Scott_P said:

Trump is probably enjoying this, (assuming the polls show his position has widespread support with voters).
    Tbh CNN, CBS, PPP, and Gallup polls have all shown majorities against his travel ban. Quinnipac, Reuters, Ramussen show it the other way. So it's hard to tell.
    My reading is that it is about 45/55...which is a lot closely that I would have imagined. If there is a terrorist attack and trump is able to say told you so that would switch around. It certainly isn't as unpopular as the media have made it seem.

It isn't a shock to me - with the narrative surrounding immigration and Muslims for the last ten or so years I don't think such findings are shocking at all. I think the media have made out that the ban is wrong and that there is quite a lot of opposition to it - which, looking at the polls overall can be said to be true. There's just a significant amount of support for it as well, so it looks like America is split overall. I think a lot of Trump's positions on things actually split Americans as opposed to being a consensus view. On CNN they recently showed a segment with several female Trump voters who supported the EO and didn't understand why anyone would be against any of things Trump has done so far.

On the effectiveness of the EO: they really should have sought legal advice before rushing it through. Apparently Bannon wanted to rush it through because he thinks that there is a small time frame for them to get all the radical/controversial stuff through.
  • Options
    nunu said:

kle4 said:

nunu said:

So many stupid loaded questions on QT. No room for nuance.

The people do not reward nuanced positions, and we get the politicians we deserve as a result.
    True.

Why is everyone assuming Gorsuch will decide with Trump? He seems very sensible informed person to me.
    I actually don't mind him either.
  • Options

"QT definitely used to have minister or shadow on every night, where as now nobody ever appears on that show."

No-one watches it either. I usually don't mind the Panel, it's the audience that makes me change channels.

I gave up watching QT five or six years ago. It does not sound like i have missed anything.

Thursday night used to be QT followed by This Week.
    Question Time is like doing a jigsaw - a pointless way to pass the time until you die!
    Sunil, darling - where have you been hiding? I would have thought you had no time for QT as you traversed the rail network.

[Sunil puts on his best Jon Richardson voice]
    Slumming it in Manchester this week. Just after arrival from London on Monday afternoon, I did the Guide Bridge to Rose Hill line (walked a very short way on the trackbed south of Rose Hill on the defunct Macclesfield line).
    On Tuesday, did Leeds to Skipton (had already done the Transpennine service from Piccadilly to Leeds in August). Class 333s on the electric lines northwest of Leeds outwardly identical to the Class 332 Heathrow Express.
    Then yesterday did Deansgate to Leyland (south of Preston), Preston to Blackpool North, and the entire Blackpool Tramway. Modern tram similar to other UK cities, but did see the traditional "balloon tram", albeit on a driver training run.
    And then today Manchester Victoria to Leeds via Brighouse and return journey via Bradford and Halifax, then I did Victoria to Stalybridge, and then walked the route of upcoming second city crossing from Exchange Square to St Peters.

I have no idea what I'm travelling on tomorrow, haven't decided yet :)
    I have no idea who Jon Richardson is or was, but we do need that like button back.
    He's the northern bloke on the risqué version of Countdown :)
  • Options
    Liz Kendall

AndyJS said:

Scott_P said:

My reading is that it is about 45/55...which is a lot closely that I would have imagined. If there is a terrorist attack and trump is able to say told you so that would switch around. It certainly isn't as unpopular as the media have made it seem.

It isn't a shock to me - with the narrative surrounding immigration and Muslims for the last ten or so years I don't think such findings are shocking at all. I think the media have made out that the ban is wrong and that there is quite a lot of opposition to it - which, looking at the polls overall can be said to be true. There's just a significant amount of support for it as well, so it looks like America is split overall. I think a lot of Trump's positions on things actually split Americans as opposed to being a consensus view. On CNN they recently showed a segment with several female Trump voters who supported the EO and didn't understand why anyone would be against any of things Trump has done so far.

On the effectiveness of the EO: they really should have sought legal advice before rushing it through. Apparently Bannon wanted to rush it through because he thinks that there is a small time frame for them to get all the radical/controversial stuff through.
    That sounds about right. Bannon is right insofar as the country will wake up to the insanity before long. Do it now or repent at leisure.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Scott_P said:

@ProfChalmers: Scenario: Supreme Court splits 4-4 on restraining order, order stays. Case ends up there later on merits, Gorsuch on bench; Trump loses 5-4.

Well, he was Trump's choice so he can't really complain.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Scott_P said:

Well, he was Trump's choice so he can't really complain.
    This is trump we are talking about....
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited February 2017

AndyJS said:

Scott_P said:

But he only needs around 45% to win an election, as we saw in November. It doesn't help the Democrats at all if they pile up huge support in California, New York and Illinois.
  • Options

"QT definitely used to have minister or shadow on every night, where as now nobody ever appears on that show."

No-one watches it either. I usually don't mind the Panel, it's the audience that makes me change channels.

I gave up watching QT five or six years ago. It does not sound like i have missed anything.

Question Time is like doing a jigsaw - a pointless way to pass the time until you die!
    Sunil, darling - where have you been hiding? I would have thought you had no time for QT as you traversed the rail network.

Slumming it in Manchester this week. Just after arrival from London on Monday afternoon, I did the Guide Bridge to Rose Hill line (walked a very short way on the trackbed south of Rose Hill on the defunct Macclesfield line).
    On Tuesday, did Leeds to Skipton (had already done the Transpennine service from Piccadilly to Leeds in August). Class 333s on the electric lines northwest of Leeds outwardly identical to the Class 332 Heathrow Express.
    Then yesterday did Deansgate to Leyland (south of Preston), Preston to Blackpool North, and the entire Blackpool Tramway. Modern tram similar to other UK cities, but did see the traditional "balloon tram", albeit on a driver training run.
    And then today Manchester Victoria to Leeds via Brighouse and return journey via Bradford and Halifax, then I did Victoria to Stalybridge, and then walked the route of upcoming second city crossing from Exchange Square to St Peters.

Good grief? You are up here? Are you riding the Metro as well?
    I did the Metrolink in several stages between February and December. First section I did a year ago this week - Piccadilly to Ashton. Last sections I did just before Christmas - Victoria to Rochdale via Oldham, and the tiny section of track between St Peters and Market Street :)

The second city crossing seems all but complete, I guess they're still training the tram crews or something.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,228

r.e Germany's dominance of the Euro/EU, it's very likely they will gradually lose this hegemony due largely to demographics and population decline.

I keep saying this: Germany's decision to import many fecund young immigrants (and Britain's decision to *stop* doing the same) means that the demographic assumptions that we are used to are now obsolete.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,051
    I have no idea which way Gorsuch will vote, but a 4-4 split upholds the lower court and the 4 more liberal justices are absolute locks (Well each very heavy favorites) to go against Trump.
    So Trump needs Gorsuch on the bench to have a chance to win the case.

Gorsuch is necessary but certainly not sufficient for Trump to win. One of the other conservative justices (Kennedy possibly) might find against Trump too. It looks a longshot to me that SCOTUS overturns right now.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,051
    Scott_P said:

Wouldn't a 4-4 decision uphold the lower courts ?
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    edited February 2017
    AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

Scott_P said:

But he only needs around 45% to win an election, as we saw in November. It doesn't help the Democrats at all if they pile up huge support in California, New York and Illinois.
    It's not yet clear/definite that opposition to EO is exclusively, or even mainly centred in Democrat strongholds like those though. How well the Democrats do in 2018 will tell us a lot. I think the main thing for Trump though is the economy and his temperament. If he doesn't deliver on jobs then he'll be in trouble. I also think his increasingly erratic and impulsive behaviour will at some point start becoming a concern to even some of those who voted for him.

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

Wouldn't a 4-4 decision uphold the lower courts ?

Yes, but I think the "on merits" bit means they can review anything they like at a later date, like Roe v Wade for example.

Even if they uphold it now, they could potentially revisit after Gorsuch is confirmed. And still vote against :)
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256

I did the Metrolink in several stages between February and December. First section I did a year ago this week - Piccadilly to Ashton. Last sections I did just before Christmas - Victoria to Rochdale via Oldham, and the tiny section of track between St Peters and Market Street :)

The second city crossing seems all but complete, I guess they're still training the tram crews or something.
    And the Altrincham / Bury line? What about Eccles?
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,322
    Pulpstar said:

I have no idea which way Gorsuch will vote, but a 4-4 split upholds the lower court and the 4 more liberal justices are absolute locks (Well each very heavy favorites) to go against Trump.
    So Trump needs Gorsuch on the bench to have a chance to win the case.

Gorsuch is necessary but certainly not sufficient for Trump to win. One of the other conservative justices (Kennedy possibly) might find against Trump too. It looks a longshot to me that SCOTUS overturns right now.

Legal expert on Fox News just said Kagan might well side with Trump so he would win 5-3.

Reasoning is that lower Court is no better placed to judge threat than President - it's not for lower Court to carry out its own threat test.

No idea myself but he said Kagan had gone against Obama on certain things.
  • Options

I did Altrincham in late November with Eccles and Media City OK later the same month. Bury was done in September, and Manchester Airport and East Didsbury in early December.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    Full court ruling here:

https://assets.documentcloud.org/documents/3457898/2-9-17-9th-Circuit-Order.pdf

Others on PB are more qualified than me to read judgments, but this seems quite devastating, even though just an interim decision - they think the EO would inllict irreparable harm, they do not think it likely that the President will succeed in proving it is not based on religious discrimination, and they think hat the claim that the courts cannot review the order is itself an unconstitutional position.

Wow.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Legal expert on Fox News just said Kagan might well side with Trump so he would win 5-3.

Reasoning is that lower Court is no better placed to judge threat than President - it's not for lower Court to carry out its own threat test.

No idea myself but he said Kagan had gone against Obama on certain things.

IANAL, but, it seems to me that one of the reasons he lost the appeal is that Trump's lawyer claimed the President is the arbiter of the threat and the court can't second guess that, which they unanimously and unequivocally said was bollocks.

The government needed to provide evidence of the threat, which is where the "no attacks on US soil from those 7 countries" bit comes in.

If SCOTUS votes politically you might be right, but it is not obvious that legally they would obviously overturn
  • Options

I did Altrincham in late November with Eccles and Media City OK later the same month. Bury was done in September, and Manchester Airport and East Didsbury in early December.
    You are thorough ....

The Altrincham line is the best :)

Are you writng a book about all this travelling?
  • Options
    Night all
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:
    These aren't very meaningful stats.

The Supreme Court chooses which cases to hear (so a lot of "wins" are cases not selected by the Court), and defeats aren't of equal weight - something trivial about farm subsidies just isn't the same as a flagship security policy.

They also talk about Obama's "own" Justices voting against him as if it's a criticism. Well, yes, that's the system working - if conservative justices were all reliable for Republican Presidents and liberal ones for Democrats, we'd rightly query their independence and legal credentials.
  • Options

You are thorough ....

The Altrincham line is the best :)

Are you writng a book about all this travelling?
    I take it you live in Altrincham :)

Not writing at the moment, but have taken plenty of photos!
  • Options
    archer101auarcher101au Posts: 1,612

Full court ruling here:

https://assets.documentcloud.org/documents/3457898/2-9-17-9th-Circuit-Order.pdf

Others on PB are more qualified than me to read judgments, but this seems quite devastating, even though just an interim decision - they think the EO would inllict irreparable harm, they do not think it likely that the President will succeed in proving it is not based on religious discrimination, and they think hat the claim that the courts cannot review the order is itself an unconstitutional position.

Wow.

I read the judgement quickly. It is a classic case of judicial overreach. The EO is almost certainly against federal law, and it is up to Trump to change that with Congress to resolve the conflict. But when a Court claims something is unconstitutional they are, remember, overruling democratic bodies and should only do so when the case is 100% clear. The problem in the US is that Judges do this far too much and it undermines, rather than supports, democracy. In this case, the only clear constitutional issue is that lack of due process for permanent residents and maybe those who already held legal visas. However the Court has tried to claim that almost everyone is protected by due process and the first amendment rights which is a massive stretch to put it mildly. On this basis almost nothing is constitutional unless the Court thinks it is OK.

The EO was badly written and Trump bought a lot of these issues on himself. If he goes to the SCOTUS he will lose, only because ultimately Judges always want to assert their power and don't like being told that they should not be reviewing something, which in this case is true (the Court has no right to second guess him on the threat levels, even if he is obviously wrong). His better approach would be to withdraw the EO and draft another one which provides due process to certain people (but not most) and expands the list of countries affected.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Scott_P said:

My reading from the polls is it about 45/55...which is a lot closely that I would have imagined. If there is a terrorist attack and trump is able to say told you so that would switch around. It certainly isn't as unpopular as the media have made it seem.

the sinister interpretation would be that it was designed (by bannon, presumably) to be stopped by the courts, and then after the next bowling green (or actual real attack, whichever is convenient) they'll have support to increase the president's powers.

you can file this under paranoid fantasy if you want... I hope that's what it is
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    Scott_P said:

@britainelects: St John's (Fylde) result:
    FRAT: 60.8% (+15.9)
    CON: 30.0% (+4.4)
    LAB: 4.9% (-8.4)
    GRN: 4.3% (+4.3)
    No IND and LDEM candidate as previous.

http://www.lythamstannesexpress.co.uk/news/four-face-off-in-controversial-by-election-poll-1-8341473
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    Scott_P said:

@britainelects: St John's (Fylde) result:
    FRAT: 60.8% (+15.9)
    CON: 30.0% (+4.4)
    LAB: 4.9% (-8.4)
    GRN: 4.3% (+4.3)
    No IND and LDEM candidate as previous.

http://www.lythamstannesexpress.co.uk/news/four-face-off-in-controversial-by-election-poll-1-8341473
  • Options
    theakestheakes Posts: 846
    Its not that the Lib Dems are winning so many seats, its the style, the vast swings and the enormous increase in percentage vote that beggars belief, in both Conservative and Labour areas.
  • Options
    Interesting story in the Dundee Courier:

The Tories will be looking to get the SNP involved in a discussion which may not go to Nationalist liking.

The referendum question will be debated – the Scottish Government likes the last one “Should Scotland be an independent country?”

Theresa May could change this to – “Should Scotland leave the UK and set up a new currency?” – which is much less appealing.

The UK Government could also elaborate on what the alternative looks like, suggesting a rejection of independence would still mean enhanced powers coming to Holyrood as a by-product from the Brexit process.

The UK Government could make the Scottish Government endorse a single White Paper, setting out both options.

Starting the discussion would force the SNP into specifics on currency, economy, ability to pay pensions etc – which is where they are weakest.

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news/politics/scottish-politics/365652/exclusive-uk-government-preparing-nicola-sturgeon-demand-indyref2-august-2018-articleisfree/
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Sterling is tading at a trade weighted low. Indeed, depite the recent FTSE highs, the drop in Sterling makes the UK one of the worst places ito invest in equities.

This is a very silly argument.

Most retail investors need sterling and measure their investments in sterling; a large number of institutional investors also manage and report in sterling because that's the currencies that their liabilities are in.

Personally, I always run with a natural hedge against USD, but even then probably only 25% of my net assets are in dollars despite splitting my life between the two currency zones.

It's just a metric put about by people who are trying to downplay the relative attractiveness of UK index performance. There are lots of reasons for questioning whether and how much to invest in the UK, but this really isn't one
  • Options
    Education struggling....but what's Nicola got the Scottish Civil Service working on:

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news/politics/scottish-politics/366311/exclusive-sturgeon-tells-staff-ready-indyref2/
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,031

Education struggling....but what's Nicola got the Scottish Civil Service working on:

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news/politics/scottish-politics/366311/exclusive-sturgeon-tells-staff-ready-indyref2/

The mother of all squirrels!
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Jobabob said:

Scott_P said:

They picked up about 90 extra votes. Everyone else stayed home and watched TV.
This discussion has been closed.