Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The FINAL local elections of 2016

Comments

• Options
    SeanT said:

Talking of neologisms, is there a word for the regret that follows ridiculous indulgence and pointless luxury?

Because I'm feeling it over that £1000 lunch-for-two at the Savoy.

Obscene vulgarity. Could have fed a village for a year on that money.

I am actually feeling slightly ashamed.

Not sure about a single word, but there's a poet who captured it perfectly:

C'est l'Ennui! L'oeil chargé d'un pleur involontaire,
    II rêve d'échafauds en fumant son houka.
    Tu le connais, lecteur, ce monstre délicat,
    — Hypocrite lecteur, — mon semblable, — mon frère!
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    SeanT said:

What a load of ridiculous shite. Remainers really are a bunch of tossers.

A country presuming to govern itself, once again, is apparently seized with "collective madness"???

I hope you and tyson and all of your kind grow strange new genitalia on your stupid fat faces. It would mirror the disease in your souls.

Take your bile and shove it up your ar*e Sean. Maybe another few £1000 lunches will help drown out your self loathing....
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    tyson said:

@Speedy
    I think you are right....2016 has allowed us to show what we really think...for good or ill.... At least we know what we are up against.

Mortimer...your depiction of Oxford...full of Brexiters, or sympathetic, adjusted Remainers...Please with a capital P..... Either you are a sad fantasist, or a Billy No Mates stuck in your room with Wifi and a box of kleenex....

Happy Christmas tyson,

I hope your nutroast is nuttier than a meeting of the UKIP NEC, fruitier than Boris's one night stands, and washed down with a lake of wine sufficient to stain a thousand sofas!
  • Options
    SeanT said:

RobD said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

World's oldest bank moves closer to bail-out after €5bn cash call fails
    http://news.sky.com/story/shares-in-worlds-oldest-bank-suspended-again-on-funding-worries-10703877

Not a great summary. A bail-out, of some description, was always on the cards. This is beginning to look more like Northern Rock style nationalisation.
    4 ---> 3

But a sad way to move up the ranking.
    Who are numbers one and two?

(Of course, BMPS may be recapitalised and refloated, but I suspect it'll be broken up and BNP will take the best bits.)
    Dutch national bank & Swedish national bank. Forget the order.
    Correction: wiki has deleted the Dutch from the ranking, so it is now the Swedish Riksbank and then my brother's shop.

(Of course Berenberg try to claim they date from 1590, but as the founders sold then a hundred years ago it's really a new firm).
    Of course the owner of the second oldest company in the world is a relative of someone on PB!
    There are much much older companies in Japan.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_oldest_companies

That said there are English pubs which claim to date back to the 8th or even 5th century

https://www.buzzfeed.com/lbailey211/11-pubs-that-might-be-the-oldest-pub-in-the-uk-e9sd?utm_term=.vlyVBlad0R#.jjZl6YeAox
    Oldest pub in Britain? I have had a drink in a dozen of them. No self respecting town is without a claimant.
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,203
    SeanT said:

I do not use the terms myself, but they have been applied to me often enough (not on PB that I am aware of) that I have decided to apply for my Irish passport.

For someone raised as an Ulster protestant that is one heck of a step to take.

youre on catch up Beverley

Ive had one for 20 years and have fitted all the kids out with one, it's proved surprisingly useful over the years

Failte :-)
    I am indeed on catch-up. I was always proud of being British but that is getting more and more tarnished with the act of collective madness known as Brexit. Since I have options I intend to ensure that I utilise them.

Nollaig shona dhuit :-)

A country presuming to govern itself, once again, is apparently seized with "collective madness"???

I hope you and tyson and all of your kind grow strange new genitalia on your stupid fat faces. It would mirror the disease in your souls.

Lets see how governing ourselves looks when we're being held to ransom by multinationals, lets see how Brexit really works for the man on the Whitehaven street that the right are fantasising over at the moment. They want jobs and better wages. Will Tory Brexit deliver? I doubt it.

The truth is we do govern ourselves and always have. You talk a load of pish sometimes Sean but I grant it is often entertaining pish.

Anyway, happy Xmas one and all, I will be in the air Xmas Day and hopefully posting occasionally from Oz over the next four weeks. I'll be taking in Margaret River and the Hunter Valley so will raise a glass from over there. Slainte..
  • Options
    Cue all those Leavers who were pro monarchy/Queen when The Sun said she was pro Brexit

https://twitter.com/suttonnick/status/812067521394311168
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,609

Cue all those Leavers who were pro monarchy/Queen when The Sun said she was pro Brexit

She's not wrong, but replace secrecy with not having a fucking clue.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited December 2016
    I don't have a single Irish relative or ancestor, so I won't be getting an Irish passport. Only been there once, on a quick visit to Dublin about five years ago.
  • Options
    How can the Queen be sovereign if the UK is a province of Brussels?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,333
    edited December 2016
    MaxPB said:

Given as how you voted for this, do you say that it is a good thing or a bad thing? Good, presumably?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited December 2016
    The Nice truck attacker was a Tunisian Muslim, so it's not all that surprising if some people were guessing that the Berlin attacker might have been as well.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

The Nice truck attacker was a Tunisian Muslim, so it's not all that surprising if some people were guessing that the Berlin attacker might have been as well.

So not one of the 1m, then?
  • Options

How can the Queen be sovereign if the UK is a province of Brussels?

Well she is married to a Greek, and both are German, as well as related to just about all the Royal families of Europe.

A splendid example of an immigrant family done good...
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,080
    edited December 2016
    MaxPB said:

Gearing up for a Sun front page - "What Queen asked Christmas dinner guests: Give Me 3 Good Reasons To Leave Europe"
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

AndyJS said:

No, he entered Europe in 2011, long before the recent influx.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

I do not use the terms myself, but they have been applied to me often enough (not on PB that I am aware of) that I have decided to apply for my Irish passport.

Ive had one for 20 years and have fitted all the kids out with one, it's proved surprisingly useful over the years

I am indeed on catch-up. I was always proud of being British but that is getting more and more tarnished with the act of collective madness known as Brexit. Since I have options I intend to ensure that I utilise them.

Lets see how governing ourselves looks when we're being held to ransom by multinationals, lets see how Brexit really works for the man on the Whitehaven street that the right are fantasising over at the moment. They want jobs and better wages. Will Tory Brexit deliver? I doubt it.

The truth is we do govern ourselves and always have. You talk a load of pish sometimes Sean but I grant it is often entertaining pish.

Anyway, happy Xmas one and all, I will be in the air Xmas Day and hopefully posting occasionally from Oz over the next four weeks. I'll be taking in Margaret River and the Hunter Valley so will raise a glass from over there. Slainte..
    I've just been to Margaret River for a food festival.

It's a wonderful area. Go to the Leeuwin estate for fine wine and great views and Wills Domain for a fabulous restaurant. Do the coastal walks. Check out the gorgeous eucalypt forests. Avoid the local fizz.

Cheers, Leeuwin is on my list, as is Voyager nearby. Looking forward to some sunshine I have to say...
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,467

I think she comes out more pro-Brexit there. She wants to know the plan for Leave.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,660
    SeanT said:

Catching up on the "insults" debate, I think it would be a damn shame to ban Remoaner, because it neatly and sweetly encapsulates a certain lame and lamenting political viewpoint - that we should never have left, that the referendum was a disaster, that Brexit will be awful - in three little syllables. REMOANER. It's a useful term for a definite phenomenon, I suspect it will enter the OED in time.

I shall therefore continue to use it, for the purposes of brevity if nothing else. And I am content to be insulted in return as a wanker, Brextard, and Leavite.

As for my own insults, yes they are not what they were. Partly because I've mellowed with success and age, partly because I started getting paid to write politics (so became less willing to coin inventive abuse for free), and partly because I simply ran out of names to call people.

Leavite isn't really intended as an insult, though it does nod at the moral certainty of those who fall in the category (which is not to suggest that those opposed to Brexit are entirely immune from that).
    And it would definitely be wrong to think that all Leavite are wankers.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,080

I think she comes out more pro-Brexit there. She wants to know the plan for Leave.
    If you read the article it sounds like she wants to know why the f Boris Johnson was made Foreign Secretary.
  • Options
    I hope this isn't another one of the Times fake news articles!
  • Options

If you read the article it sounds like she wants to know why the f Boris Johnson was made Foreign Secretary.
    At 90 she still has her marbles, I am sure Prince Philip has some choice words on the subject too.
  • Options
    Breaking....

Melbourne Christmas Day 'terror attack' foiled, say Australia police
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-38411935
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

Given as how you voted for this, do you say that it is a good thing or a bad thing? Good, presumably?
    Silly me for thinking the government would do even the slightest amount of contingency planning for a leave vote. You know there was only a 50/50 chance of it!
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Gearing up for a Sun front page - "What Queen asked Christmas dinner guests: Give Me 3 Good Reasons To Leave Europe"
    Delusional, as ever.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,499
    edited December 2016
    MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

Silly me for thinking the government would do even the slightest amount of contingency planning for a leave vote. You know there was only a 50/50 chance of it!
    Perhaps Dave believed the Leavers that Brexit would be easy.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

Too much time chillaxing with the clegger.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

AndyJS said:

He was for Germany.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,660

SeanT said:

Talking of neologisms, is there a word for the regret that follows ridiculous indulgence and pointless luxury?

Because I'm feeling it over that £1000 lunch-for-two at the Savoy.

Obscene vulgarity. Could have fed a village for a year on that money.

I am actually feeling slightly ashamed.

Not sure about a single word, but there's a poet who captured it perfectly:

C'est l'Ennui! L'oeil chargé d'un pleur involontaire,
    II rêve d'échafauds en fumant son houka.
    Tu le connais, lecteur, ce monstre délicat,
    — Hypocrite lecteur, — mon semblable, — mon frère!
    Apres Bouffe ?

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,933
    edited December 2016
    SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

AndyJS said:

Yes, but that was in Italy. After doing time there for arson, he then claimed asylum in GERMANY: in 2015, during the recent influx. So he really is one of the 1 million. Unfortunately for Angela.

Not only that, he had a criminal record and was clearly dangerous from the start - yet they let him in. And then tried to arrest him. And let him go. And tried to arrest him again. And let him slip.

Everything about this guy is toxic for Ms Merkel.
    Let's have a heated debate!

Every time I read 'Mrs Merkel' I think 'Mrs Merton'... same w 'Alan Pardew' & 'Alan Partridge'
  • Options
    SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

AndyJS said:

Yes, but that was in Italy. After doing time there for arson, he then claimed asylum in GERMANY: in 2015, during the recent influx. So he really is one of the 1 million. Unfortunately for Angela.

Not only that, he had a criminal record and was clearly dangerous from the start - yet they let him in. And then tried to arrest him. And let him go. And tried to arrest him again. And let him slip.

Doing time for arson ?

Doesn't that mean he's an experienced pyrotechnic engineer ?
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Eastleigh is LD hold

LD 672
    Con 263
    Lab 107
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,973
    edited December 2016

twitter.com/suttonnick/status/812067521394311168

The only reason I can think of why May wouldn't share the plan with HM is if it wasn't fully formulated yet. Still, she could at least have said something! I find it hard to believe she said Brexit means Brexit to HM!
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited December 2016
    isam said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

AndyJS said:

Let's have a heated debate!

Every time I read 'Mrs Merkel' I think 'Mrs Merton'... same w 'Alan Pardew' & 'Alan Partridge'
    What was it about multi-millionaire open door immigration policy first attracted scumbags to Germany...
  • Options

Eastleigh is LD hold

LD 672
    Con 263
    Lab 107

Still struggle to get my head around how the Tories managed to win Eastleigh at the general election, everything locally pointed at an easy Lib Dem hold.
  • Options

Eastleigh is LD hold

LD 672
    Con 263
    Lab 107

Significant swing to LDs...
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,011

Eastleigh is LD hold

LD 672
    Con 263
    Lab 107

Still struggle to get my head around how the Tories managed to win Eastleigh at the general election, everything locally pointed at an easy Lib Dem hold.
    They only held it at the by election because of the split right wing vote.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,930
    Boggles the mind how the Tories are 1.92/1.97 for Copeland tbh.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Oldham West all over again.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Eastleigh is LD hold

LD 672
    Con 263
    Lab 107

But IIRC they still did well in the council elections in Eastleigh between then and the general election.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Sky Arts showing Rocky Horror Show.. used to love this, first London show I ever saw! ft Jonathan Morris from Bread and Windsor Davies!

Tony Blair playing Frank n Furter here...

https://youtu.be/9b75ICYJDi4
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,930
    @ThescreamingEagles If Labour pick a candidate as good as local boy Jim'll Fix it "McMahon will sort it for you" they'll win.
  • Options
    edited December 2016

Eastleigh is LD hold

LD 672
    Con 263
    Lab 107

I won there betting on the Tories. I bet on the main challenger on every LD and UKIP target seat, on the constituency markets. I believed what the polls said, and have never really been convinced that personal vote is worth more than a couple of percent.

I think that they may well bounceback next election there.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

@ThescreamingEagles If Labour pick a candidate as good as local boy Jim'll Fix it "McMahon will sort it for you" they'll win.

I'm convinced more now than ever that Jamie Reed quit after the recess to ensure the by election was held next May, that helps Labour
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Pulpstar said:

LDs 85 on Betfair :-)

When was the last time a seat was taken by a party that lost deposit the election before?

• Options
    edited December 2016

Eastleigh is LD hold

LD 672
    Con 263
    Lab 107

I won there betting on the Tories. I bet on the main challenger on every LD and UKIP target seat, on the constituency markets. I believed what the polls said, and have never really been convinced that personal vote is worth more than a couple of percent.

I was reminiscing with Tissue Price the other day about how I wasn't expecting Twickenham to go blue, yet I had bet on such a thing happening, even CCHQ didn't think that was going blue until around 1.30am on election night.

I think I bet it turning blue because of the mansion tax.

Prior to May 2015, had someone said the Lib Dems will be down to 8 seats, I would have been very confident on Eastleigh being one of the 8.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Eastleigh is LD hold

LD 672
    Con 263
    Lab 107

But IIRC they still did well in the council elections in Eastleigh between then and the general election.
    If Diane James had been the UKIP candidate, the result might have been a lot closer.
  • Options

Eastleigh is LD hold

LD 672
    Con 263
    Lab 107

I was reminiscing with Tissue Price the other day about how I wasn't expecting Twickenham to go blue, yet I had bet on such a thing happening, even CCHQ didn't think that was going blue until around 1.30am on election night.

Prior to May 2015, had someone said the Lib Dems will be down to 8 seats, I would have been very confident on Eastleigh being one of the 8.
    There were quite a few surprised Tory candidates: Marcus Fysh was another.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Eastleigh is LD hold

LD 672
    Con 263
    Lab 107

If Diane James had been the UKIP candidate, the result might have been a lot closer.
    I still wonder if Farage had stood in Eastleigh he might have won the by election, at the time Diane James was relatively unknown and Farage did have links with Eastleigh and standing in by elections therein.

Though both UKIP near misses during the last parliament's by election were unexpected, perhaps that the lesson.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    rcs1000 said:

Eastleigh is LD hold

LD 672
    Con 263
    Lab 107

I'll let you into a little secret about Yeovil, it was the seat that gave the Lib Dems so much confidence that the Tories were fecking clueless when it came to campaigning at the 2015 general election.

With a few weeks to go until voting day, in what has to be balliest bit of campaigning ever, Dave turned up in Yeovil and campaigned a few hundred yards from Paddy Ashdown's house.

Ashdown told Clegg there was no way the Tories would take Yeovil and most Lib Dems took it as an indication that Sir Lynton Crosby didn't have a fucking clue about British politics.
  • Options
    edited December 2016

rcs1000 said:

Eastleigh is LD hold

LD 672
    Con 263
    Lab 107

I'll let you into a little secret about Yeovil, it was the seat that gave the Lib Dems so much confidence that the Tories were fecking clueless when it came to campaigning at the 2015 general election.

With a few weeks to go until voting day, in what has to be balliest bit of campaigning ever, Dave turned up in Yeovil and campaigned a few hundred yards from Paddy Ashdown's house.

Ashdown told Clegg there was no way the Tories would take Yeovil and most Lib Dems took it as an indication that Sir Lynton Crosby didn't have a fucking clue about British politics.
    I don't think May would do anything so edgy. I think she has no track record on campaigning.

Corbyn and Farron love being on their soapbox, but Theresa prefers to hide behind the sofa.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

Said precisely no-one, ever.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,009
    RobD said:

The only reason I can think of why May wouldn't share the plan with HM is if it wasn't fully formulated yet. Still, she could at least have said something! I find it hard to believe she said Brexit means Brexit to HM!
    I think it's now apparent to the most casual observer that there simply isn't a plan and those charged with creating it aren't capable of the doing the job. It may be that it just isn't possible to make a plan that doesn't piss off lots of people and/or destroy the economy even if you had Henry II, Disraeli and Churchill working on it rather than Fox, Davies and Boris.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,009

Breaking....

Melbourne Christmas Day 'terror attack' foiled, say Australia police
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-38411935

In other news the LNC continue to trail the ALP in the polls so the Theatre of Terror will continue to run.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

John Redwood: Getting out of the EU can be quick and easy – the UK holds most of the cards in any negotiation

http://johnredwoodsdiary.com/2016/07/17/getting-out-of-the-eu-can-be-quick-and-easy-the-uk-holds-most-of-the-cards-in-any-negotiation/
  • Options

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

John Redwood: Getting out of the EU can be quick and easy – the UK holds most of the cards in any negotiation

http://johnredwoodsdiary.com/2016/07/17/getting-out-of-the-eu-can-be-quick-and-easy-the-uk-holds-most-of-the-cards-in-any-negotiation/
    While John Redwood is a swivel eyed loon, he is at least a loon with a plan.

May should make better use of him.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

John Redwood, sadly, does not understand what "WTO rules" means.
  • Options
    edited December 2016

Eastleigh is LD hold

LD 672
    Con 263
    Lab 107

If it hadn't been for the tories winning seats like that, there'd be no brexit and Cameron would still be PM. As a Tory that voted Remain and liked DC, does it annoy you that the majority that was so celebrated led to the current state of affairs?
  • Options

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

While John Redwood is a swivel eyed loon, he is at least a loon with a plan.

May should make better use of him.
    Yes, I couldn't agree more (not the loon bit), and thanks TSE for the link. I stand corrected!
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

Whether or not he does understand them, I am interested to know where his argument falls down around his references to WTO rules?
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,848
    edited December 2016

rcs1000 said:

Whether or not he does understand them, I am interested to know where his argument falls down around his references to WTO rules?
    Whereas I realise that you think Brexit is a good thing, you've got to admit that if it's reached the point of "it's OK: John Redwood has a plan", then things have gone horribly wrong...

• Options

Pulpstar said:

Oldham West all over again.
    [excitedly] Passed through Oldham today on the way to Rochdale on the Metrolink tram. Entire Metrolink network done during 2016!
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,848
    isam said:

Sky Arts showing Rocky Horror Show.. used to love this, first London show I ever saw! ft Jonathan Morris from Bread and Windsor Davies!

h ttps://youtu.be/9b75ICYJDi4

Unless our former Prime Minister has a hitherto undisclosed theatrical side, I think it's fair to say you meant Tim Curry...

• Options
    viewcode said:

isam said:

h ttps://youtu.be/9b75ICYJDi4

Unless our former Prime Minister has a hitherto undisclosed theatrical side, I think it's fair to say you meant Tim Curry...

Doesn't he remind you of TB? That insane toothy grin?
  • Options
    Result of by election in Aylesham:

Labour 460 Tories 283 - (turnout less than 20% )

Stupid having an election so near Xmas.
  • Options

'A source close to the monarch'

Is that what George is calling himself these says?
  • Options

'A source close to the monarch'

Is that what George is calling himself these says?
    I suspect HM is going to enjoy her Speech from the Throne this time around ;)
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

RobD said:

I think it's now apparent to the most casual observer that there simply isn't a plan and those charged with creating it aren't capable of the doing the job. It may be that it just isn't possible to make a plan that doesn't piss off lots of people and/or destroy the economy even if you had Henry II, Disraeli and Churchill working on it rather than Fox, Davies and Boris.
    Turns out the meeting was only a few months after she became PM, rather than being in the last few days.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,907
    RobD said:

Dura_Ace said:

RobD said:

Turns out the meeting was only a few months after she became PM, rather than being in the last few days.
    Typical silly season story, although I imagine the Palace will be somewhat less than amused that the leak appears to be from their side. The meeting was in August, when Mrs May had only been in the for a few weeks and everyone was still on holiday.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    foxinsoxuk: "I don't think May would do anything so edgy. I think she has no track record on campaigning."

Theresa May went on from Torbay to Yeovil in 2015. A fact I reported on back here. (I also reported back from those on the "BattleBus" that Cheltenham was won by the Tories and that Yeovil was looking very good. My coverage of LibDems prospects in the South-west in May 2015 was second to none on here. I believe a few brave folk made money on the back of it....whilst fair to say, some others pooh-poohed it. Their loss....)
  • Options
    edited December 2016

foxinsoxuk: "I don't think May would do anything so edgy. I think she has no track record on campaigning."

Theresa May went on from Torbay to Yeovil in 2015. A fact I reported on back here. (I also reported back from those on the "BattleBus" that Cheltenham was won by the Tories and that Yeovil was looking very good. My coverage of LibDems prospects in the South-west in May 2015 was second to none on here. I believe a few brave folk made money on the back of it....whilst fair to say, some others pooh-poohed it. Their loss....)

I made money on it. I bet on the challenger on every LD and kipper target. I lost on 8 and 1 respectively, aptetty respectable ratio.

My comment on May was not that she didn't campaign (even the lamest safe seater does that) it is that she lacks initiative, is over cautious, devoid of an original idea and doesn't enjoy it.
  • Options
    Morning all.

A front page story of an anonymous palace ‘leak’ concerning something that may have happened four months ago? - The Times are scraping the barrel with that one…
  • Options
    edited December 2016

Morning all.

A front page story of an anonymous palace ‘leak’ concerning something that may have happened four months ago? - The Times are scraping the barrel with that one…

Do you think that we are any closer to a plan more complex than "Have cake and eat it?"?

Which incidentally seems to be the EU27 plan too, only they think the cake is theirs.
  • Options

Morning all.

Do you think that we are any closer to a plan more complex than "Have cake and eat it?"?

Which incidentally seems to be the EU27 plan too, only they think the cake is theirs.
    The Govt is certainly closer to a plan than it was 4 months ago when the story was alleged to have occurred, nor do I see wanting the best deal possible for the UK as a starting point to negotiations as a bad thing.
  • Options

she lacks initiative, is over cautious, devoid of an original idea and doesn't enjoy it.
    "lacks initiative" yet somehow is Prime Minister
    "over cautious" you'd prefer someone reckless?
    "Doesn't enjoy it" she's eaten an awful lot of rubber chicken for someone who "doesn't enjoy it"

We get it. You don't like her. But she is PM, which is more than a Lib Dem will be in our lifetime...
  • Options

she lacks initiative, is over cautious, devoid of an original idea and doesn't enjoy it.
    "Doesn't enjoy it" she's eaten an awful lot of rubber chicken for someone who "doesn't enjoy it"

We get it. You don't like her. But she is PM, which is more than a Lib Dem will be in our lifetime...
    She rose without trace, and I do not like her. Nonetheless she was preferable to the other declared candidates in the Tory leadership.

I have a reasonably high opinion of Phil Hammond, but otherwise the cabinet is strikingly short of talent.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

rcs1000 said:

Eastleigh is LD hold

LD 672
    Con 263
    Lab 107

I had several arguments with @MarkSenior. Told him the Tories were going to take Yeovil - he called me a lot of rude things in response
  • Options
    Easy Labour hold in Aylesham then, despite high Leave vote although pitifully low turnout.

That Labour brand is rather sticky.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,758

She rose without trace, and I do not like her. Nonetheless she was preferable to the other declared candidates in the Tory leadership.

I have a reasonably high opinion of Phil Hammond, but otherwise the cabinet is strikingly short of talent.
    short of talent certainly

and yet when you look at the opposition LDs and Lab they have an embarassment of riches.

even the gormless Nicky Morgan would look like leadership material in the opposition rather than an idiot looking for a village
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Any cabinet with Chris Grayling is short of talent.
  • Options

and yet when you look at the opposition LDs and Lab they have an embarassment of riches.

even the gormless Nicky Morgan would look like leadership material in the opposition rather than an idiot looking for a village
    In all the parties there is talent on the back benches. On the goverment benches these are in part there by choice and in part because their ability annoys Theresa No Mates.

For 2017 I am hoping for an early election in which the Conservatives lose their majority.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

In all the parties there is talent on the back benches. On the goverment benches these are in part there by choice and in part because their ability annoys Theresa No Mates.

For 2017 I am hoping for an early election in which the Conservatives lose their majority.
    That would be good for the country.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

I think so, it would mean that there would be at least some cross party discussions on the direction of Brexit, rather than the future being decided by one faction of the Tories.
  • Options

the cabinet is strikingly short of talent.
    And have you seen the age they're hiring Policemen at these days!
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Any cabinet with Chris Grayling is short of talent.

Perhaps so.

But the last cabinet also included Nicky Morgan and Olly Letwin.

And had George 'March of the Makers' Osborne making the decisions.

We live in an era of poor quality politicians.
  • Options

How is that ever going to happen? Your bitterness about the leave vote gives me warmth in these cold days. It people like you and Tyson bitching about it everyday that makes me certain we were right to vote leave.
  • Options

Morning all.

Come now, we have had further Brexit clarification; Tessy has now told us that negotiation means negotiation. Surely that's enough for anyone?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,045
    Jonathan said:

It would be absolutely disastrous for the country. Brexit needs leadership, and the only likely coalition - another Conservative/Lib Dem one - would be stymied by the fact that the Conservatives would have been elected on a Brexit platform, and the the Lib Dems on a Europhile one. They'd find it much harder to agree on a common platform than they did in 2010.

Also, given how the Lib Dems were screwed (unfairly IMO) by the coalition, they'd want to get far more this time around.

We need strong government at this time. May's not being particularly strong, but I fail to see how a coalition would be any better.

If not the Lib Dems, who else? UKIP may not have an MPs; the SNP ar firmly Europhile and will want concessions the UK government would not want to give them.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

As far as I'm concerned, the outcome of the Referendum was a delightful surprise.
  • Options
    People talk UKIP up on here but what threat are they really if they can't even put up candidates in places like Eastleigh and Dover?
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,403
    edited December 2016

Known as the reverse Sion Simon.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    MaxPB said:

How is that ever going to happen? Your bitterness about the leave vote gives me warmth in these cold days. It people like you and Tyson bitching about it everyday that makes me certain we were right to vote leave.
    I think it quite possible that the Tories will call an early election to try to get enough of a majority, then lose some seats.

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    The Times has really lost its way trying to big up the Brexit Horror. Whoever is grubbing around for these stories should be put on sport. Maybe lower league ice hockey.

Maybe it will get its marbles back once we are in a post-Article 50 world.

Maybe many will.

Maybe.
  • Options

People talk UKIP up on here but what threat are they really if they can't even put up candidates in places like Eastleigh and Dover?

Hedge End is really
    MaxPB said:

I think it quite possible that the Tories will call an early election to try to get enough of a majority, then lose some seats.

Lose seats to which party? Labour? Aren't drugs banned for NHS staff?
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    edited December 2016
    when it comes to lack of talent just look at the Labour benches.. the Tories have some awful MP;s but Labour is much worse , most /nearly all the decent guys left after Brown and McBride.
  • Options
    Good morning, everyone.

Thanks for this, Mr. Hayfield.

Yesterday's F1 gossip but still worth noting: Franz Tost, boss of Toro Rosso, reckons there are too many races in Europe. I suspect most F1 fans will have a short, Anglo-Saxon response to that point of view.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/38363777
  • Options

Hedge End is not natural kipper territory, but Dover surely is.

Post Brexit the kippers are without purpose, and will crumble to a remnant. The question is where those votes will go. My guess is that they will go fairly evenly to Lab and Tory.
  • Options

Easy Labour hold in Aylesham then, despite high Leave vote although pitifully low turnout.

That Labour brand is rather sticky.

No Cons activist in any way underestimates the Lab effort in any particular area. The machine locally has not broken down and is as strong and dangerous (if you're a Con!) as ever.

Clean streets, traffic, and the new development outweigh the latest bonkers Jezza action.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    @MaxPB,

I could see them losing a few, eg Brighton Kemptown, Twickenham, Kingston, Bath, but gaining many more from Labour.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383

The Times has really lost its way trying to big up the Brexit Horror. Whoever is grubbing around for these stories should be put on sport. Maybe lower league ice hockey.

Maybe it will get its marbles back once we are in a post-Article 50 world.

Maybe many will.

Maybe.

It's beyond one-eyed now.
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    38% is high for the Tories in an area like Aylesham (if that's the right result)
This discussion has been closed.