Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The FINAL local elections of 2016

124»

Comments

• Options
    The prison population usually sees a spike in January because of licence and tagging violations regularly increase over Christmas and New Year.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited December 2016
    Berlin attack suspect shot dead in Italy, reports say
    http://news.sky.com/story/berlin-attack-suspect-shot-dead-in-italy-reports-say-10705730

Read the last paragraph...the German plod filmed him after the attack but nobody told them, sorry nobody knew (cough cough bullshit), he was a suspect.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    ONS
    GDP per head grew 0.4% in Q3, while real household spending per head grew 0.6% https://t.co/XSNUu9RUp9
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited December 2016
    PlatoSaid said:

ONS
    GDP per head grew 0.4% in Q3, while real household spending per head grew 0.6% https://t.co/XSNUu9RUp9

Despite brexit....but we haven't left...but we were told the economy would go down the tubes immediately...but but but...rinse and repeat
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,013
    Good news / bad news

Q3 UK GDP growth has been upgraded to 0.6%.
    But Q1 and Q2 growth was downgraded, so the year-over-year numbers look worse than expected. (2.2% from 2.3%.)
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Sean_F said:

@AndyJS,

In order to halve the prison population, we'd have to release a lot of very harmful people.

Could lawyery type people say what happened around 1995 that caused the prison population to surge? Same thing happened in both Scotland and England.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/SN04334/SN04334.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwis_tmwgIrRAhVReFAKHeZGDjEQFggaMAA&usg=AFQjCNF0BJFG90CjHExdMAEEdiVgFB0C2Q&sig2=kGUvV_LtE6R0S2mLtbI7zw
    Criminal justice acts of 1993/1994 and Michael Howard as Home Secretary was a supporter of the prison works policy, so sentencing guidelines were updated to reflect that

See page 22 here

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/218185/story-prison-population.pdf
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

http://news.sky.com/story/berlin-attack-suspect-shot-dead-in-italy-reports-say-10705730

Read the last paragraph...the German plod filmed him after the attack but nobody told them, sorry nobody knew (cough cough bullshit), he was a suspect.

Unless there is info otherwise it smells a lot like he was an intelligence asset for the Germans gone rogue.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

That link doesn't work Alistair

I've updated it.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,637
    Could some kind soul correct the GDP figures to a per capita basis?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,013
    PlatoSaid said:

ONS

That is the unfortunate fly in the ointment of our GDP numbers; they continue to be driven by too much consumer spending.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,082
    Alistair said:

Unless there is info otherwise it smells a lot like he was an intelligence asset for the Germans gone rogue.
    Remember this story?

http://www.wsj.com/articles/germany-arrests-suspected-islamist-mole-in-spy-agency-1480509521
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,333

@josiasjessop

This is a very divided country, more so than any time since the eighties. NOC would force a more consensual approach to the issue that will dominate UK politics for the next decade.

I'm not sure it is that divided: there are the hardcore Brexit loons at one extreme, and the EU Federalists on the other. These are noisy idiots and should perhaps best be ignored. But they are in the minority, despite their loud voices.

In between are the majority of voters who voted one way or the other but, aside from niggles, have other pressing concerns that are not immediately to do with the EU.

I voted remain. I know many people who voted remain, and many who voted leave. Do I feel 'divided' from those who voted leave? No, because I am in the fortunate position that none of them are from the loony persuasion of Brexiteers.

I do know one rather extreme Europhile though, and it's best to avoid the topic with her ...
    I agree. Most of my friends were Remainers, but after the initial shock the overwhelming reaction was 'oh well, whats done is done, better make the best of it' and their minds have turned to other matters......
    To be honest, the EU is a bit of a proxy. The issues we have are really with each other, not with our membership.

Taking them at their word, barely a year ago, TSE was flirting heavily with Leave, Richard Nabavi was undecided (had sympathy with Brexit, but was looking for a credible path out), and even Alastair Meeks was on the fence.

Yes, there are a few ideological British Europhiles (mainly social democrats) but I can't imagine they number - at most - more than 20% of the population.

Brexit will succeed (or fail) for everyone else depending upon the UK's medium-long term economic success, the values it projects forward globally into the future, and what sort of society we build at home.
    I would agree with that with one proviso - it will be damned hard for most people to work out whether it has succeeded or failed. As with a few pence on the price of a packet of fags, it will go largely unnoticed. GDP this or that? Not really an issue.

Of course if there is a super full-on recession then it will be noticed but the govt will blame the EU so that also will be not clear whether Brexit has succeeded or failed.

Whereas in the long run..
  • Options
    True crime (exc. some white collar fraud) probably peaked in the late nineties. It will however be a while before falling crime is reflected in lower prison populations (excluding other factors).
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,930
    rcs1000 said:

Good news / bad news

Q3 UK GDP growth has been upgraded to 0.6%.
    But Q1 and Q2 growth was downgraded, so the year-over-year numbers look worse than expected. (2.2% from 2.3%.)

& per head of population rebased to USD :) ?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610
    rcs1000 said:

PlatoSaid said:

ONS

That is the unfortunate fly in the ointment of our GDP numbers; they continue to be driven by too much consumer spending.
    Balance of payments were pretty poor as well, though there is some evidence that the currency weakness is pushing up primary income. The issue his that it has also pushed up the cost of imports which has negated the primary income gain. The latest trade figures look a lot better so we could already be past the J trough.
  • Options
    Mr. Jonathan, I was thinking that (about Prince Charles) myself. Hard to read much into it, though, as he'll necessarily be doing more and more as his parents become quite aged.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,333
    rcs1000 said:

PlatoSaid said:

ONS

A frighteningly large amount of our growth comes from consumption which is why we will need to keep a close eye on inflation.
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,009
    edited December 2016

kle4 said:

Much more HDC would also do the trick.

HDC?
    High Street Decapitation Centres. Jeddah style...

• Options
    This is most entertaining rattling

Real Donald Trump
    Based on the tremendous cost and cost overruns of the Lockheed Martin F-35, I have asked Boeing to price-out a comparable F-18 Super Hornet!
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Real Donald Trump
    Based on the tremendous cost and cost overruns of the Lockheed Martin F-35, I have asked Boeing to price-out a comparable F-18 Super Hornet!

Another vivid demonstration of what an ignorant fucking pig he is.

• Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    Dura_Ace said:

PlatoSaid said:

Real Donald Trump

*tears of laughter smiley*

US defence contractors have been allowed to get away with murder. Clearly this isn't a practical suggestion, but making the MIC sweat in general will be good for the US taxpayer.

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,082
    RoyalBlue said:

Dura_Ace said:

PlatoSaid said:

Real Donald Trump

US defence contractors have been allowed to get away with murder. Clearly this isn't a practical suggestion, but making the MIC sweat in general will be good for the US taxpayer.
    Sukhoi should tweet out an unsolicited offer.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,820
    RoyalBlue said:

Dura_Ace said:

PlatoSaid said:

Real Donald Trump

Given some of our defence procurement nonsense, I'm guessing its not only US defence contractors who get away with murder.
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

Dura_Ace said:

PlatoSaid said:

Real Donald Trump

How does running a sole source military aircraft procurement progam via twitter make anyone sweat? The F/A-18E/F can't replace the F-35 or meet any of the JSF requirements. Boeing knows this and LM knows this.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
  • Options

The Times has really lost its way trying to big up the Brexit Horror. Whoever is grubbing around for these stories should be put on sport. Maybe lower league ice hockey.

Maybe it will get its marbles back once we are in a post-Article 50 world.

Maybe many will.

Maybe.

What did ice hockey fans do to deserve that?
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

RoyalBlue said:

Dura_Ace said:

PlatoSaid said:

Real Donald Trump

How does running a sole source military aircraft procurement progam via twitter make anyone sweat? The F/A-18E/F can't replace the F-35 or meet any of the JSF requirements. Boeing knows this and LM knows this.
    The JSF doesn't meet all the JSF requirements. The USAF might judge that it would be better to have a greater number of versatile proven non-stealth platforms than smaller quantities of a new fighter that is far from proven and has a much higher unit cost.

They should probably order more F-22s and more drones.

• Options
    kle4 said:

RoyalBlue said:

Dura_Ace said:

PlatoSaid said:

Real Donald Trump

Given some of our defence procurement nonsense, I'm guessing its not only US defence contractors who get away with murder.
    I think the Nimrod MRA4 must be the winner in terms of procurements screw ups. Rather than buy new planes, let's re-wing modified 1950s airliners, none of which have precisely the same measurements.

It's a shame Portillo never gets the stick he deserves for that decision.

• Options
    RoyalBlue said:

The JSF doesn't meet all the JSF requirements. The USAF might judge that it would be better to have a greater number of versatile proven non-stealth platforms than smaller quantities of a new fighter that is far from proven and has a much higher unit cost.

They should probably order more F-22s and more drones.

The F-22 production line closed in 2011 and isn't restarting ever mainly due to issues with the legacy electronics and the cost.

It's not up to the USAF to decide what the platform should be as JSF is a purple program run by the DoD.

If nothing else this manic dribbling by Trump puts to the sword the idea that Trump is any way an anglophile or gives a shit about the UK. UK F-35 workshare: 18%, UK F/A-18E/F workshare: 0%. Fixed wing aircraft other than the F-35B that are capable of operating off the new QE class carriers: none.

• Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,015

when it comes to lack of talent just look at the Labour benches.. the Tories have some awful MP;s but Labour is much worse , most /nearly all the decent guys left after Brown and McBride.

Let's face it, with the way the media is nobody with any sense would go into politics any more. And it looks like nobody with any sense has.
    Away , most are anonomous, spend most of their time in the bar / free restaurants , live on expenses , gold plated pensions and just have to nip in to chamber to vote now and again. You see it on telly and it is always near empty apart from PM's questions , and then its to get their fizzoggs on the telly so constituents think they are actually working.
This discussion has been closed.