Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » What’s missing this Christmas is any sign of peace and goodwil

Comments

• Options

Marvellous to see Nige accepting the principle of political responsibility.

https://twitter.com/BDStanley/status/811128169193476096

That Brendan Cox tweet is in apalling taste. He should be the one calling for others to allow her to rest, not using her himself as a some sort of twitter clapback.
    Thank goodness Nige has decided to take the high road.

https://twitter.com/asabenn/status/811140161987866624

• Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,289
    Connoisseurs of England batting collapses are in for a special Christmas treat. 7 down.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,986
    Been paid out from POTUS !

Was going to withdraw but amazingly enough able to lay the entire balance on England...
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,517

That Brendan Cox tweet is in apalling taste. He should be the one calling for others to allow her to rest, not using her himself as a some sort of twitter clapback.

Anyone who uses something as tragic and truly wicked as the brutal murder of their own wife as some sort of zinger against their political opponents on social media has pretty much forgone any right to immunity from political points being made. He sounds truly deranged. Nigel has, as I recall, been physically assaulted by members of Hope not hate, so no doubt he feels strongly about this issue.
  • Options
    Guido has uploaded Farage interview.

• Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

I thought he was doing the opposite. Pointing out that Farage was making political capital out of terrorism. Though I'd rather neither of them said anything. This is something that happened in Berlin and beyond offering sympathy I don't think outsiders should be get involved.
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807

Good morning Jobabob. Anything else you would like to throw my way this morning?

Yesterday you were wanting to wipe Gateshead off the map, so perhaps today you might wish to suggest that County Durham becomes part of Yorkshire.

No, I'm done. Happy Christmas to you. Gateshead Borough should be merged with Newcastle however - that much I'm sticking with.
  • Options
    Is the answer to this morning's PB Quiz question: Jack Jones?
  • Options
    When I'm drinking my Bonaparte Brandy
    Eating more than enough mince xmas pies
    Will I glance at my screen and see real human beings, mown to death
    Right in front of my eyes

Original was by Gilbert Osullivan - Nothing Rhymed
  • Options
    It took me about 30 seconds to go "Brendan Cox? should I ... oh ... OH ... "
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807
    Morris Dancer - as you punted the ludicrous hyperbole yesterday that Gtr Manchester getting a mayor would lead the the "Balkanisation of England", forgive me if I fail to take your pronouncements on constitutional matters seriously
  • Options
    "That Brendan Cox tweet is in apalling taste. He should be the one calling for others to allow her to rest, not using her himself as a some sort of twitter clapback."

With all due respect, that's bollocks. He has every right to an opinion and every right to express it. That it may be uncomfortable to some is by the by. Obviously, he should also expect kick-back. People can decide whose view they wish to subscribe to.
  • Options

Anyone who uses something as tragic and truly wicked as the brutal murder of their own wife as some sort of zinger against their political opponents on social media has pretty much forgone any right to immunity from political points being made. He sounds truly deranged. Nigel has, as I recall, been physically assaulted by members of Hope not hate, so no doubt he feels strongly about this issue.
    Using the death of your wife as a campaign tool for Brexit was sick enough. The less we hear from that alleged groper the better methinks.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Guido has uploaded Farage interview.

As he is no longer the leader of UKIP, why doesn't the media stop interviewing this useful idiot?
  • Options
    Twilight of the innings. (8 down).
  • Options
    "Anyone who uses something as tragic and truly wicked as the brutal murder of their own wife as some sort of zinger against their political opponents on social media has pretty much forgone any right to immunity from political points being made."

Why? Cox's wife was an MP murdered by a political extremist who blamed politicians for what he saw as the betrayal of the British people. He has every right to make the connection.
  • Options
    Terrorism is by its very nature political. It doesn't exist in a vacuum.
  • Options
    @rottenborough He hasn't gone away you know.
  • Options
    "I thought he was doing the opposite. Pointing out that Farage was making political capital out of terrorism."

Quite.
  • Options
    People still backing England, amazingly enough.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383

Using the death of your wife as a campaign tool for Brexit was sick enough. The less we hear from that alleged groper the better methinks.
    My view entirely.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited December 2016
    You just knew England would mess it up after tea...

6 wickests should have been plenty to get through until the final hour.
  • Options
    Germany’s interior ministry has ordered all Christmas markets in Germany to remain closed today, citing ‘in memory of victims of last night’s attack’ Be honest, it’s a security precaution.
  • Options

"I thought he was doing the opposite. Pointing out that Farage was making political capital out of terrorism."

Quite.

Which Farage is quite entitled to do.
  • Options
    Mr. Bob, fair enough.

Remind me how well Labour's 'kill nationalism stone dead' Scottish devolution is going?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,618

Germany’s interior ministry has ordered all Christmas markets in Germany to remain closed today, citing ‘in memory of victims of last night’s attack’ Be honest, it’s a security precaution.

That's rubbish, I'd have them all open and hold a candle light vigil. Extra security and concrete barriers. We can't let them win.
  • Options
    I think people must have forgotten India have another innings to be perfectly honest.
  • Options

Quite.

And thereby politicising the death of his wife to attack a perceived opponent? Pretty poor all around.
  • Options
    Mr. Pulpstar, it's always nice when the odds are just wrong. Doesn't happen often, though.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Is the answer to this morning's PB Quiz question: Jack Jones?

Nope. He was Welsh though.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,965
    edited December 2016
    "And thereby politicising the death of his wife to attack a perceived opponent? Pretty poor all around."

His wife's dead was political. She was deliberately targeted and killed by someone who hated her politics.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

That's rubbish, I'd have them all open and hold a candle light vigil. Extra security and concrete barriers. We can't let them win.
    Quite agree Max, - it’s total capitulation, the terrorists have won.
    Meanwhile, - “We must assume it was a terrorist attack”, says Merkel. – NSSherlock.
  • Options
    "Using the death of your wife as a campaign tool for Brexit was sick enough. The less we hear from that alleged groper the better methinks."

Isn't it awful when people say things that you do not want to hear?
  • Options
    edited December 2016

MaxPB said:

Meanwhile, - “We must assume it was a terrorist attack”, says Merkel. – NSSherlock.
    Many Germans have become so gun-shy, they're more scared of saying the 'wrong thing' than preserving their own well-being.

It's self-harm.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,986
    Jo Cox may have been murdered by that man whether there was a referendum or not. No one was warning against having a referendum in case MPs got killed.

The people who died yesterday in Germany would still have been alive had Merkel not invited "refugees" from the Middle East into Germany.

Farage warned time and again that Merkels decision invited this kind of atrocity, of course he is going to cite it as evidence he was right... because he was and this proves it.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

I remember a few ill advised comments from a German person I know telling me that Britain would become the number one target if we didn't allow in the migrants like Germany had. That by letting the millions in they would be invulnerable to terrorism. I haven't got the heart to remind him of those comments today, but definitely at some point.
  • Options
    @Morris_Dancer More what you can do with a big float to be perfectly honest. Have way more in Betfir than normal due to the POTUS payouts (Not entirely finished)... I just don't see how England can win this match in a million years, yet people want them at 1000-1 ?
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    Quiz:

Aneurin Bevan? - Though I'd assume that description didn't have the connotations it acquired, at the time.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,904

"Using the death of your wife as a campaign tool for Brexit was sick enough. The less we hear from that alleged groper the better methinks."

Mr Cox has touched a raw nerve.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    welshowl said:

Quiz:

Aneurin Bevan? - Though I'd assume that description didn't have the connotations it acquired, at the time.

No - but getting closer. And your comment on connotations is spot on!
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,060
    How many minutes do the last two have to survive?
  • Options
    "Germany’s interior ministry has ordered all Christmas markets in Germany to remain closed today, citing ‘in memory of victims of last night’s attack’ Be honest, it’s a security precaution."

The German authorities always seem to make the wrong decision.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

By comparing two different situations and trying to draw a false equivalence?

1. A nutter kills an MP and says "Britain First".

2. Mrs Merkel invites a million or more "refugees" into Germany and one of them has commited a terrorist attack as many people predicted would happen. Had Mrs Merkel not invited the migrants this would not have occured.

How are those two situations anything alike?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    PlatoSaid said:

@AMeeks

"Don't worry, I'm coming back to what Leavers, including sovereigntist Leavers, should do next in my next thread header. I wouldn't get too comfortable in your chair, it's going to be no more palatable for those Leavers than this thread is for Remainers. "

or you could just not bother and try to add a bit of seasonal goodwill to the site

My heart sank at yet another Brexit Humbug thread. I saw the title and thought it'd be about yesterday's rash of terror incidents - and the various political reactions to it. Alas not.

On a cheerful note - today is my birthday! :smiley:

Happy Returns to any others celebrating theirs today.
    Happy Birthday, hope you have a great day :D
  • Options
    It is 15:51 in Mumbai.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,060
    @Pulpstar

What time is close of play?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

@Pulpstar

What time is close of play?

40mins and we are 9 down
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Stuart Broad goes, 9 down. 40 minutes remaining.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Mr Cox is a man with a dubious personal reputation. But as a leftie, he will be given licence from fellow lefties for his attitudes to women.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Crap. 9th wicket goes. 40 mins to survive for the draw. Memories of Moeen Ali in the Ashes a couple of years back.
  • Options
    Happy Birthday, Plato. I hope your friends and relatives give double the presents and not roll them into one this week.
  • Options
    Mr. Max, they're not. But it's easier to try and say "the far right is just as bad" than address the problem of extremism on the fringes of Islam, or acknowledge the obvious idiocy (lambasted pretty much universally here the moment it happened) of Merkel's migrant madness.

It's quite similar to the gun debate in America. Ideology trumps body count.

Mr. Pulpstar, my Betfair account's been anaemic for ages. Had a weird run where almost all my Ladbrokes bets came off and the Betfair ones failed.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,904
    MaxPB said:

Jonathan said:

2. Mrs Merkel invites a million or more "refugees" into Germany and one of them has commited a terrorist attack as many people predicted would happen. Had Mrs Merkel not invited the migrants this would not have occured.

Jo Cox's killer wasn't a nutter. He was convicted of murder, not manslaughter. He was a politically motivated murderer.
  • Options
    isam said:

Jo Cox may have been murdered by that man whether there was a referendum or not.

Yep.
    Poor old Thomas Mair had obviously just reached his personal 'breaking point'.
  • Options
    What an absolutely pathetic performance from England.
  • Options
    Miss Plato, happy birthday.
  • Options
    That didn't take long. Innings and 75 the margin :(
  • Options
    And that is that.
  • Options

isam said:

Jo Cox may have been murdered by that man whether there was a referendum or not.

Yep.
    Poor old Thomas Mair had obviously just reached his personal 'breaking point'.
    If you say so. David Cameron has blood on his hands
  • Options
    Narrow not Broad. (9 down).
  • Options
    Happy birthday to Plato. It's mine tomorrow incidentally.
  • Options
    "A nutter kills an MP and says "Britain First""

From the Judge's comments to Thomas Mair when sentencing him:

You affect to be a patriot. The words you uttered repeatedly when you killed her give lip service to that concept. Those sentiments can be legitimate and can have resonance but in your mouth, allied to your actions, they are tainted and made toxic.
    It is clear from your internet and other researches that your inspiration is not love of country or your fellow citizens, it is an admiration for Nazism, and similar anti-democratic white supremacist creeds where democracy and political persuasion are supplanted by violence towards and intimidation of opponents and those who, in whatever ways, are thought to be different and, for that reason, open to persecution.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38076755

• Options
    An absolute battering.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

MaxPB said:

Many Germans have become so gun-shy, they're more scared of saying the 'wrong thing' than preserving their own well-being.
    It's self-harm.
    "Many Germans have become so gun-shy" They take it to an extreme when investing in their own defence vs Russia. A very dangerous policy.
  • Options
    Seems a long gap between TMS and last wicket taken on Sky News.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

MaxPB said:

Jonathan said:

Jo Cox's killer wasn't a nutter. He was convicted of murder, not manslaughter. He was a politically motivated murderer.
    And it still isn't the same. He was already here, and a British citizen. This man in Germany was invited by the Chancellor and came to commit acts of violence against the people. If she hadn't invited him then those people would still be alive.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Happy Birthday tomorrow AndyJS.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,689
    @plato - congratulations on qualifying for over-50s insurance, over-50s holidays and over-50s sporting events.

I will enjoy the final 3 months of my relative youth!
  • Options
    "Jo Cox's killer wasn't a nutter. He was convicted of murder, not manslaughter. He was a politically motivated murderer."

In my book all those who commit cold-blooded murder have some kind of a screw loose. To deliberately target someone or a group of people and then to take their lives requires a way of looking at the world that is not normal. So, I am not surprised that Mair had mental health issues. But then I would be very surprised if the person who committed the Berlin atrocity was not sixpence short of a shilling too.
  • Options

"A nutter kills an MP and says "Britain First""

From the Judge's comments to Thomas Mair when sentencing him:

You affect to be a patriot. The words you uttered repeatedly when you killed her give lip service to that concept. Those sentiments can be legitimate and can have resonance but in your mouth, allied to your actions, they are tainted and made toxic.
    It is clear from your internet and other researches that your inspiration is not love of country or your fellow citizens, it is an admiration for Nazism, and similar anti-democratic white supremacist creeds where democracy and political persuasion are supplanted by violence towards and intimidation of opponents and those who, in whatever ways, are thought to be different and, for that reason, open to persecution.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38076755

It's still not the same, not even close to being the same. Simple question, if Mrs Merkel hadn't invited all those migrants would this attack have taken place, it's a yes or no question.
  • Options

"Jo Cox's killer wasn't a nutter. He was convicted of murder, not manslaughter. He was a politically motivated murderer."

In my book all those who commit cold-blooded murder have some kind of a screw loose. To deliberately target someone or a group of people and then to take their lives requires a way of looking at the world that is not normal. So, I am not surprised that Mair had mental health issues. But then I would be very surprised if the person who committed the Berlin atrocity was not sixpence short of a shilling too.

And why invite him into the country?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Happy Birthday for tomorrow, and happy "Punter of the Year" award for your referendum spreadsheet!
  • Options
    Happy birthday to Plato for today and AndyJS for tomorrow!
  • Options
    Mr. Sandpit, seconded. The spreadsheet for the referendum helped put the site a day and a half ahead of the MSM coverage.
  • Options
    Jonathan Agnew:

"What Alastair Cook feels about this and how it influences his decision about his future as captain I'm not sure.
    Supporters knew this would be a tough series. England were undermanned and underpowered, but they would have wanted some fight today to not lose this match to show character, but I think fans will be upset by this and the manner of the defeat."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/cricket/37789694
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

And why invite him into the country?
    Wir müssen verrückt sein
  • Options
    "It's still not the same, not even close to being the same. Simple question, if Mrs Merkel hadn't invited all those migrants would this attack have taken place, it's a yes or no question."

Obviously not by the person who did it. Whether it would still have happened, though, is unknowable. Most of the terrorist attacks we have seen in Europe over recent years have been committed by EU nationals, not refugees.

Clearly, though, Merkel will have to live with and justify her decision to open Germany's borders until her dying day; and the German people have every right to pass political judgement on her. Just as Brendan Cox has every right to point out that blaming politicians for the acts of extremists can have consequences.
  • Options

Christian said:

"From that YouGov poll, Remainers clearly accept that the vote was won through Leave campaigning on immigration. The ability to place restrictions on freedom of movement from the EU is therefore a democratic necessity"

This is psychological projection - "let's give the Leave side what we Remainers think they want". Why not instead concede what the Leavers say they want, which is national democratic self-determination (if we believe Ashcroft's poll). That self-determination includes deciding for ourselves what immigration we want - that is all that taking back control means here.

Remainers are so locked into this racism/xenophobia projection that they still can't bear to attend to the range of arguments that Leave actually put forward.

It would be undemocratic for Remainers to believe, as they clearly do, that the vote was won on immigration and not accept controls on freedom of movement, even if they deplore them or the way they think the argument was framed.
    Don't worry, I'm coming back to what Leavers, including sovereigntist Leavers, should do next in my next thread header. I wouldn't get too comfortable in your chair, it's going to be no more palatable for those Leavers than this thread is for Remainers.
    Mr Meeks. Since you clearly have no comprehension of what really influences and motivates Leavers or their lives, it would be best if you avoided trying to tell Leavers what to do. Your infamous and hilarious attempts at writing advice for Leavers during the campaign can hardly be topped for setting a high bar in being out of touch with most voters. All those articles setting out why LEAVE would lose..... How can you top that? Except just to admit, for once, that you got it completely wrong?
  • Options
    Mr. Observer, a man who enters a country with the intent of committing murder isn't a refugee. He's isn't running from danger or persecution, he's running to cause it.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    AndyJS said:

Jonathan Agnew:

"What Alastair Cook feels about this and how it influences his decision about his future as captain I'm not sure.
    Supporters knew this would be a tough series. England were undermanned and underpowered, but they would have wanted some fight today to not lose this match to show character, but I think fans will be upset by this and the manner of the defeat."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/cricket/37789694

Pure mental capitulation. If you can get near 500, and the opposition near 800 (With a 300 being made near the end of day 4) then the pitch is good enough to bat out day 5 on.
  • Options
    "Mr. Observer, a man who enters a country with the intent of committing murder isn't a refugee. He's isn't running from danger or persecution, he's running to cause it."

I agree.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,927
    Jobabob said:

Good luck to Scotland - invited directly by Juncker to speak to Brussels despite PB Leaver wishful thinking. Brexit is a complete shambles. A void. The sensible parts of the UK that voted to Remain have no incentive nor responsibility to help effect it.

Obviously, the hard core Remainers have the option of turning themselves into a Lost Cause Society, but I would have thought it's generally preferable to get half a loaf, rather than no loaf at all.
  • Options

"It's still not the same, not even close to being the same. Simple question, if Mrs Merkel hadn't invited all those migrants would this attack have taken place, it's a yes or no question."

Obviously not by the person who did it. Whether it would still have happened, though, is unknowable. Most of the terrorist attacks we have seen in Europe over recent years have been committed by EU nationals, not refugees.

Clearly, though, Merkel will have to live with and justify her decision to open Germany's borders until her dying day; and the German people have every right to pass political judgement on her. Just as Brendan Cox has every right to point out that blaming politicians for the acts of extremists can have consequences.

Not all, the Nice attacker was from Tunisia, the Paris terrorists were migrants and those who had returned from Syria. The German who ended up only blowing himself up was a migrant. Mrs Merkel invited these people to Germany (and by extension, Europe) without any kind of checks or vetting, now we are seeing the results. If she had even the slightest shred of honour she would resign today and let someone else fix the almighty mess she has created.
  • Options

Mr. Observer, a man who enters a country with the intent of committing murder isn't a refugee. He's isn't running from danger or persecution, he's running to cause it.

That's not necessarily true, if the main goal is to escape from danger or persecution and he intends to cause persecution as well, he'd still be a refugee.

I'm not saying we should be nice to this hypothetical person, but words have meanings.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited December 2016
    G-Live: Berlin correspondent Kate Connolly:

In February 2016 a 15-year-old girl identified as Safia S stabbed a policeman at Hamburg’s central station, stating she was operating on behalf of Isis.

In June three Syrians were arrested in Düsseldorf, charged with planning a terror attack.
    In July a man who was registered as a 17-year-old refugee from Afghanistan stabbed passengers on a train in Duisburg, seriously injuring four tourists from Hong Kong.

A few days later a 27-year-old Syrian in Ansbach at a music festival detonated an explosive vest, killing himself and injuring 15 people.

It had felt that Germany had been spared the worst type of attacks seen in France and Belgium, until tonight.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Happy Returns for tomorrow if I'm still too tiddled to remember.

And many good wishes to those who've kindly noticed.

I'm 50! Oddly, this is better than being 40. I found that technically past-it without the prestige of being old :wink:
  • Options
    There are no plausible definition of Terrorism that doesn't fit Thomas Mair. He murdered an elected official during a referendum campaign and targeted her for her political views. He made political slogans during the murder. He had a history of far right political activism and cited far right views during his trial. A trial that found him fully culpable of the murder. He was not a " nutter ".

To deny the Jo Cox killing was Terrorism is at best specious and at worst the most blatant and cynical hypocracy. Thomas Mair was white, British and therefore presumably " Christian ". So he can't be a terrorist as they are all Brown. Setting aside the biggest terrorist threat we've faced recently was the IRA it's just racist denial. Terrorists can't be people like me. Perhaps the " White Community " should be more vocal in denouncing White terrorism and help root out extremism in White communities ?

Putting it that starkly shows the cultural " collective punishment " of vast groups to be what it is racism and xenophobia.

And this links neatly with Mr Meeks nuanced and conciliatory thread header. There can be no reconciliation on Brexit now, and possibly ever. Because it's become a Kulturkampf and it suits too many partisans on both sides to stop fighting. The same thing that see grotesque ambulance chasing hate peddlers on here salivating at the right sort of terrorism attack so they can go on Islamophobic and Xenophobic rants while ignoring identical crimes in similar contexts.

Brexit is a political arguement framed largely around identity. It's not going away as an issue because the underlying identities and the crises they face aren't going away.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

The thing is, no-one, Leaver or Remainer is trying to make the best of Brexit. Remainers fold their arms and say, nothing to do with us. Leavers variously that it will all be great, no need to discuss ; or blaming others for thwarting the project. None of these three attitudes are recipes for success.

A consensus can only happen if all parties accept that Brexit will go ahead, that it will be very messy, and that it's up to us to deal with the mess and that for the foreseeable period our efforts are devoted entirely to formally leaving the EU while limiting the damage as much as possible.

The politics acts against that consensus unfortunately. Vote for us to make the most of the bad job you voted for, isn't a compelling call to action.

I would love to see Remainers shape the future of our country - that is after all what leaving the EU is about. The supremacy of British law and British government policy. But there is no actual looking forward from them. There's remoaning, and their only strategem for the future seems to be to rejoin anything and everything we can that limits British autonomy. I don't actually think they want it to work. This is the issue. They claim to be the adults in the room - so why the huge sulk?
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,914
    Think betfair has paid out on popular vote in USA
  • Options
    @MaxPB - As far as I know (could be wrong), the Nice and Paris attackers were EU citizens and did not come to Europe as a result of Merkel opening the door to refugees.
  • Options
    "Pure mental capitulation. If you can get near 500, and the opposition near 800 (With a 300 being made near the end of day 4) then the pitch is good enough to bat out day 5 on."

Par score in India is whatever England make plus 200.
  • Options

@plato - congratulations on qualifying for over-50s insurance, over-50s holidays and over-50s sporting events.

I will enjoy the final 3 months of my relative youth!

I've been telling estate agents I'm 50, so I can be eligible for retirement/park homes too!
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    We have a current population of 60-odd million, and some will be very odd - killers, nutters of all varieties and general bad 'uns.

However to invite a million or so of predominantly young males from a region which is troubled, and contains a high proportion of those who may be radicalised, could be described as unwise - unless you screen them well.

That may be the issue. For once, Cameron had both the moral high ground and common sense on his side. Select them from camps and make them welcome is the political move. Merkel gains Brownie points for a kind heart but loses politically. It's no use complaining now.
  • Options

CLAPS
  • Options
    Went in to a meeting just before tea... come out and we've done what we do so well...

No tests until July at least but Sir Geoff and his smug 'it was never going to be 5-0' after the first test showed he was taken in more than most, we won how many of the tosses too?
  • Options

There are no plausible definition of Terrorism that doesn't fit Thomas Mair. He murdered an elected official during a referendum campaign and targeted her for her political views. He made political slogans during the murder. He had a history of far right political activism and cited far right views during his trial. A trial that found him fully culpable of the murder. He was not a " nutter ".

To deny the Jo Cox killing was Terrorism is at best specious and at worst the most blatant and cynical hypocracy. Thomas Mair was white, British and therefore presumably " Christian ". So he can't be a terrorist as they are all Brown. Setting aside the biggest terrorist threat we've faced recently was the IRA it's just racist denial. Terrorists can't be people like me. Perhaps the " White Community " should be more vocal in denouncing White terrorism and help root out extremism in White communities ?

He was a non-nutter who had undergone treatment for mental health issues. Apparently we're supposed to believe that these mental health issues had all been resolved by the time he took it upon himself to go and murder a member of parliament. Clearly a sign of a clean bill of health.

• Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Ms Plato,

Happy birthday. 50? Bah! You're just a flibbertijibbet of a girl.
  • Options

@MaxPB - As far as I know (could be wrong), the Nice and Paris attackers were EU citizens and did not come to Europe as a result of Merkel opening the door to refugees.

I believe (from memory) there was a mix of both.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    PlatoSaid said:

AndyJS said:

Happy Returns for tomorrow if I'm still too tiddled to remember.

And many good wishes to those who've kindly noticed.

I'm 50! Oddly, this is better than being 40. I found that technically past-it without the prestige of being old :wink:

Happy Birthday.

• Options
    "Brexit is a political argument framed largely around identity. It's not going away as an issue because the underlying identities and the crises they face aren't going away."

Agree with this. But identity is a moveable feast. The way people see themselves and their country can change. It has done so in the past and it will do so again. What it takes to get beyond Brexit is leadership and understanding. An acceptance by both sides that compromise is needed. As a Remainer, I may not like it, but clearly a large part of the Leave vote was predicated on the idea of reducing immigration from other EU member states. For me, that is regrettable because it will clearly lead to my current rights as a British and EU citizen being curtailed, while it will probably also cause economic harm to the UK overall; but it is what it is. As a Remainer, I can either stand on the sidelines and let the most rabid Leavers set the agenda, or I can become part of the conversation in order to try to mitigate some of the negative consequences of pulling out of the Single Market. I think the latter route is the most productive and also the one that is most likely to heal the country's wounds - and that is something we all need.
This discussion has been closed.