Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » What’s missing this Christmas is any sign of peace and goodwil

Comments

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    Plato, birthday greetings. You are now at a point where you have to behave responsibly.

Apparently.

So no more wandering alone into the hill-billy wilderness just to report back for pb.com, to stop us making fools of ourselves in the US Presidential election betting. We'll find a young whippersnapper to do that in future...
  • Options

FF43 said:

The thing is, no-one, Leaver or Remainer is trying to make the best of Brexit. Remainers fold their arms and say, nothing to do with us. Leavers variously that it will all be great, no need to discuss ; or blaming others for thwarting the project. None of these three attitudes are recipes for success.

A consensus can only happen if all parties accept that Brexit will go ahead, that it will be very messy, and that it's up to us to deal with the mess and that for the foreseeable period our efforts are devoted entirely to formally leaving the EU while limiting the damage as much as possible.

The politics acts against that consensus unfortunately. Vote for us to make the most of the bad job you voted for, isn't a compelling call to action.

I would love to see Remainers shape the future of our country - that is after all what leaving the EU is about. The supremacy of British law and British government policy. But there is no actual looking forward from them. There's remoaning, and their only strategem for the future seems to be to rejoin anything and everything we can that limits British autonomy. I don't actually think they want it to work. This is the issue. They claim to be the adults in the room - so why the huge sulk?
    Sums it up well. The problem is how many of these types of Remainers are also in the cabinet? Hammond is one and Rudd another. I suspect it may make up half the cabinet.
  • Options
    "He was a non-nutter who had undergone treatment for mental health issues. Apparently we're supposed to believe that these mental health issues had all been resolved by the time he took it upon himself to go and murder a member of parliament. Clearly a sign of a clean bill of health."

You can have mental health issues without being a "nutter". See depression, for example.

Deliberately targeting someone or a group of people in order to kill them is not the act of a "normal" person.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    edited December 2016
    CD13 said:

We have a current population of 60-odd million, and some will be very odd - killers, nutters of all varieties and general bad 'uns.

However to invite a million or so of predominantly young males from a region which is troubled, and contains a high proportion of those who may be radicalised, could be described as unwise - unless you screen them well.

That may be the issue. For once, Cameron had both the moral high ground and common sense on his side. Select them from camps and make them welcome is the political move. Merkel gains Brownie points for a kind heart but loses politically. It's no use complaining now.

I watched a Stefan Molyneux video re democracy vs strong man political rule - and he used IQ as a yardstick. I reflexively shrink from this sort of thing - but TBH, he made a number of points I couldn't argue with bar Oh I Wish That Wasn't True.

His premise was that those in the ME had a national IQ lower than the West - and weren't sophisticated enough to do liberal democracy as we get it. And that's why regime change/X-Spring doesn't work. Not enough are capable of grasping the wider argument.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFERsUXjf-I
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,904

"Jo Cox's killer wasn't a nutter. He was convicted of murder, not manslaughter. He was a politically motivated murderer."

In my book all those who commit cold-blooded murder have some kind of a screw loose. To deliberately target someone or a group of people and then to take their lives requires a way of looking at the world that is not normal. So, I am not surprised that Mair had mental health issues. But then I would be very surprised if the person who committed the Berlin atrocity was not sixpence short of a shilling too.

FWIW it depends on your definition. I am not religious, but I would say Mair (like most killers) was evil, not mad.
  • Options
    So Europe is gradually descending into violence like every single other country a sizable population of Muslims arrive in. Hardly surprising. I have grave doubts that we're going to do anything about it and will just turn into a generic Islamic hellhole over the next 50 years.

As usual the left wingers on here are desperate to talk about anything else (Thomas Mair) instead of the obvious. Give it a rest.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    edited December 2016
    Jonathan said:

FWIW it depends on your definition. I am not religious, but I would say Mair (like most killers) was evil, not mad.

Isn't there a very thin line or grey area between evil, mad, mentally disturbed etc? Can you be evil and sane?
  • Options
    Nicola Sturgeon commencing Project Fear mark 2.

She seems to want free movement in the face of terrorism by economic migrants from abroad.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,927

Plato,

Democracy can only endure if the winners behave with restraint, and the losers can trust them to do so.

In the Ancient World, the victorious faction in a democracy would frequently murder, asset-strip, or exile their opponents. Therefore, democracies failed. The Middle East is in that position. Election victories can result in the winners embarking on the mass murder of the local Christians, and whatever minority brand of Islam is practised.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,889
    Morning all :)

On topic, it has been a divisive issue and will continue so to be but there are lots of issues where people disagree on principle yet manage not to come to blows too often.

This forum is atypical - as has been shown many of the public want to move on and want the Government to sort it all out as it were.

If the same clique come on here every day and every thread wanting to have an opinion on everything it becomes an echo chamber because it has all been said by the same people.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,986

So Europe is gradually descending into violence like every single other country a sizable population of Muslims arrive in. Hardly surprising. I have grave doubts that we're going to do anything about it and will just turn into a generic Islamic hellhole over the next 50 years.

As usual the left wingers on here are desperate to talk about anything else (Thomas Mair) instead of the obvious. Give it a rest.

As I said last night, on present trends London will probably be an Islamic State by 2066.
  • Options

Plato, birthday greetings. You are now at a point where you have to behave responsibly.

Apparently.

So no more wandering alone into the hill-billy wilderness just to report back for pb.com, to stop us making fools of ourselves in the US Presidential election betting. We'll find a young whippersnapper to do that in future...

:smiley:

I suspect we'll never see @Keiranpedley survey question on this subject. I was very surprised to get mentions in dispatches at all.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

"He was a non-nutter who had undergone treatment for mental health issues. Apparently we're supposed to believe that these mental health issues had all been resolved by the time he took it upon himself to go and murder a member of parliament. Clearly a sign of a clean bill of health."

You can have mental health issues without being a "nutter". See depression, for example.

Deliberately targeting someone or a group of people in order to kill them is not the act of a "normal" person.

Depends on the perspective. If we were at war, then a whole bunch of "normal" people would be targeting and killing groups of people (the enemy).

Mair may have felt he was at war with the authorities in this country, and decided to take his own one-man action against them. Was it extremist? Yes, by definition - most people don't do that. He also sounds a bit crazy.

• Options
    "As I said last night, on present trends London will probably be an Islamic State by 2066."

My guess is that it won't be. Not that I'll be around to find out.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,501
    That's the spirit, Southam! Almost no Leavers want to cut all engagement with Europe. Almost no Remainers want Junkers/Clegg-style full on-integration. The issue is far less binary than the referendum made it look.
    That said, talking about the sort of outcome we want is a different issue to deciding how we best go about achieving it.
    But that's a side issue. the point is that the referendum - and indeed most elections - give the appearance of a country split into a small number of blocks of distinct option, whereas the reality is a blob of millions and millions of shades of grey. When we vote, we do not give complete approval of one side and complete disapproval of all others, we just vote for what we perceive as a nearest fit. You and I were on opposite sides of the referendum and of the GE, yet would probably find more to agree on than disagree on, and each of us would probably find much to disagree on with people who happen to have voted the same way as us. that's why democracy must be an ongoing conversation, not just a periodic tick in the box.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

There are no plausible definition of Terrorism that doesn't fit Thomas Mair. He murdered an elected official during a referendum campaign and targeted her for her political views. He made political slogans during the murder. He had a history of far right political activism and cited far right views during his trial. A trial that found him fully culpable of the murder. He was not a " nutter ".

To deny the Jo Cox killing was Terrorism is at best specious and at worst the most blatant and cynical hypocracy. Thomas Mair was white, British and therefore presumably " Christian ". So he can't be a terrorist as they are all Brown. Setting aside the biggest terrorist threat we've faced recently was the IRA it's just racist denial. Terrorists can't be people like me. Perhaps the " White Community " should be more vocal in denouncing White terrorism and help root out extremism in White communities ?

Putting it that starkly shows the cultural " collective punishment " of vast groups to be what it is racism and xenophobia.

And this links neatly with Mr Meeks nuanced and conciliatory thread header. There can be no reconciliation on Brexit now, and possibly ever. Because it's become a Kulturkampf and it suits too many partisans on both sides to stop fighting. The same thing that see grotesque ambulance chasing hate peddlers on here salivating at the right sort of terrorism attack so they can go on Islamophobic and Xenophobic rants while ignoring identical crimes in similar contexts.

Brexit is a political arguement framed largely around identity. It's not going away as an issue because the underlying identities and the crises they face aren't going away.

No. The purpose of terrorism is mass attacks designed to spread panic among the broader public

The murder of Jo Cox was politically motivated (although I suspect the referendum/Brexit was a hook, not a proximate cause) but was individualised. It was evil, but not terrorism.
  • Options
    philiph said:

Jonathan said:

Isn't there a very thin line or grey area between evil, mad, mentally disturbed etc? Can you be evil and sane?
    For me the difference comes down to the question of personal responsibility for the choices you make.
  • Options
    @Cookie - cheers and agreed.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    SouthamObserver: "Deliberately targeting someone or a group of people in order to kill them is not the act of a "normal" person."

Yet the Left seems to have a blindspot in accepting it is the act of a "normal "religion...
  • Options
    Mr. Evershed, must disagree. Sturgeon's desire for freedom of movement for Scotland is simply to drive a wedge between Scotland and the rest of the UK.
  • Options
    "As I said last night, on present trends London will probably be an Islamic State by 2066."

Heading towards 50% African and Middle Eastern birthrate in France by the end of the decade. I imagine a good proportion of those will be Muslim.

Europe as we knew it is gone.
  • Options
    Nobody " invited " millions of migrants into Europe. They were coming anyway and still are. The motivations range from economic migration ( from often grinding poverty ) to fleeing civilisation collapse. Collapses that are sometimes partially the result of western policies.

What European governments can be held responsible for ( if you want ) is not moving quickly enough to a " War Footing " and a vast paramilitary sealing of " the Border " which in this context is Europe's vast coast line. This would have taken Billions of € we haven't got, powerful supranationalism on a competence we currently don't have any on and huge statescraft.

Given that governments are generally sclerotic and in this case we are dealing with over a dozen bickering ones it's no surprise the response has been slow, ineffective and partially focused on soft power responses. Mainly paying other countries to take them.

So what were we to do with the millions we'd already arrived ? Put them in Boer style concentration camps ? Shoot them ? Or rather stunned by it all shambolically start processing the claims ?

Which takes us to Merkel. She saw a crisis and as the head of Europe's richest, biggest state with long term labour shortages and huge reserves of war guilt she undertook what the eurozone needs. A huge fiscal transfer from North to South by taking a million + migrants from poorer southern Europe. In doing so she mitigated one potential crisis. The Balkan trial could have become murderous. She also created another crisis. The perception rich, peaceful tolerant Germany was a choice is undoubtedly a pull factor. Interesting than number of new arrivals that quickly with no prior planning will be a war like task. The evidence todate is the Germans are performing another miracle relatively speaking.

It's a human disaster. But tell me what " Merkel " should have done, how she had the power to do it and what the alternative would have looked like.

As for this terrorist attack not happening that's ludicrous. It assumes the killer couldn't have got in anyway, that an alternative killer couldn't have been used and that it wouldn't have happen else where lower in the Balkan trial. Germans can legitimately argue the attack taking place elsewhere is cynically part of the German governments job but that's what we're discussing. Shifting the killing.

There is great evil in the world. This strain of Islamism is part of it. We must fight it. I think warping the global fight into a petty political narrative to allow folk to score points about migration they'd make anyway is nauseating.
  • Options
    philiph said:

Jonathan said:

Having a personality disorder where you're a sociopath/whatever isn't an excuse for your behaviour. A few go on to be serial killers, many more become very successful business types as they prefer to use their talent to make themselves very comfy/get plaudits than a life sentence for murdering random people.

I watched a prog about Amy Winehouse a day ago, a forensic psychologist noted she'd more than enough publicly noted behaviour to qualify as Borderline Personality Disorder - she was suffering from a lot of mental demons as a result of it, but she still chose to do what she did.
  • Options

Yeah, that's right, it's all the lefties talking about Thomas Mair.
  • Options
    Charles said:

No. The purpose of terrorism is mass attacks designed to spread panic among the broader public

The murder of Jo Cox was politically motivated (although I suspect the referendum/Brexit was a hook, not a proximate cause) but was individualised. It was evil, but not terrorism.

I think you need to be careful about the definition of 'terrorism'

I agree with your distinction that the Jo Cox murder was individualised, and not calculated to cause mass murder or panic.

If you allow woolly descriptions of Terrorism, how long until Politically motivated Industrial action is described as terrorism?
  • Options
    "Nobody invited millions of migrants into Europe"

Merkel indicated that they would be granted asylum in Germany and the numbers increased massively.

The idea that the borders of Europe couldn't have been secured better is of course nonsense as well.
  • Options
    More on IQ for those willing to listen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4x-tYmyJSVo
  • Options

My guess is that it won't be. Not that I'll be around to find out.

Will contain an Islamic state would be a better way of putting it
  • Options
    @Charles That's cobblers. There is no definition of Terrorism that limits it to mass attacks. Was the Brighton Bomb my terrorism because " only " five people died ? If an Islamist shot the Queen would it not be terrorism because only one person died ?

And how are you defining " panic " ? Suspending campaigning in a national referendum for several days ? Recalling the British Parliament ? What psychological impact do you think it has on a community to have a young mother murdered in it's midst then have weeks of international media coverage ?
  • Options

Heading towards 50% African and Middle Eastern birthrate in France by the end of the decade. I imagine a good proportion of those will be Muslim.

Afraid so
  • Options
    Seems wee Jimmie Krankie wants Scotland to not be in a free trade area / customs union with its most important market (by a long way). How odd!
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Plato,

Democracy can only endure if the winners behave with restraint, and the losers can trust them to do so.

In the Ancient World, the victorious faction in a democracy would frequently murder, asset-strip, or exile their opponents. Therefore, democracies failed. The Middle East is in that position. Election victories can result in the winners embarking on the mass murder of the local Christians, and whatever minority brand of Islam is practised.

I totally agree - I was very struck by comments made by our guide in Egypt back in about 2007 - he was as you'd expect a very cosmopolitan chap and also a Coptic Christian. He was scared - it leaked out despite his best efforts.

I sincerely doubt he's still doing the same cushy job due to the crash in tourism - but more so for being a Christian. His knowledge was top drawer - I hope he's a good billet somewhere else in education.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403
    edited December 2016
    philiph said:

Charles said:

I agree with your distinction that the Jo Cox murder was individualised, and not calculated to cause mass murder or panic.

If you allow woolly descriptions of Terrorism, how long until Politically motivated Industrial action is described as terrorism?
    The assassination of Airey Neave presumably wasn't calculated to cause mass murder or panic. So as I understand it from you and Chazza, that wasn't terrorism?
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Topping said:

The assassination of Louis Mountbatten presumably wasn't calculated to cause mass murder or panic. So as I understand it from you and Chazza, that wasn't terrorism?

Is Political murder a better definition?

Edit: You have changed it to Airey Neave in your original comment!
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,127

"Nobody invited millions of migrants into Europe"

Merkel indicated that they would be granted asylum in Germany and the numbers increased massively.

The idea that the borders of Europe couldn't have been secured better is of course nonsense as well.

The number of asylum applications being made in Germany was already 7 times higher than France at the time when people were saying Merkel's policy was too tough. The migration crisis was not caused by Merkel, whatever you think of the wisdom upholding the Geneva Convention.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    @Topping

Terrorism
    Terrorism is, in its broadest sense, the use of intentionally indiscriminate violence in order to achieve a political, religious, or ideological aim. It is classified as fourth-generation warfare and as a violent crime.More at Wikipedia

The word indiscriminate as opposed to targeted is, I think, the difference in definition between a political murder and terrorism.
  • Options
    Personally I think there is quite a big difference between political terrorism and religious terrorism. Political ends can be achieved or negotiated. The IRA, FARC, Red Army Faction, etc all essentially ceased activity as an agreement was ultimately arrived at. Political terrorism is horrific but solvable. But what agreement, what accommodation can be arrived at with fundamental Islam? Zero.
  • Options
    @CopperSulphate That's not even cobblers but a wilful distortion of what I said. Merkel's suspension of the Dublin rules for Syrians could be construed as an invitation but it was to people already in Europe. Nobody was promised Asylum but effectively a choice over which European country there assylum claim would be heard in. It's no surprise that migrants who'd made an intercontinental journey preferred Germany to Slovenia. Who wouldn't.

I spent a chunk of of my post pointing out the Border could have been secured and suggested why it wasn't. So that's nonsense as well.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited December 2016
    G-Live. - Mohammed Jankhan, 23, says he knew Berlin terrorist suspect Naved B from Tempelhof refugee shelter. "He was just a normal guy"
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    edited December 2016
    There seems to be a bit of a pattern with many of these attacks...not only those who have come claiming asylum, but often already known to the police for a string of "minor" crimes.
  • Options
    Two-time Wimbledon champion Petra Kvitova has been injured in a knife attack at her home, her publicist says.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/38379952
  • Options
    "The number of asylum applications being made in Germany was already 7 times higher than France at the time when people were saying Merkel's policy was too tough."

Loads more came after her intervention, it's pretty well documented.

And certain people would say the policy is "too tough" come hell or high water. Most people certainly weren't saying that.
  • Options

Do you have a source for that claim?

In 2014 both parents born in France made up 70.75% of all births. A further 15.13% had one parent born in France.

12.5% (one in eight) births were to both parents born outside the EU28.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_France#Births_by_country_of_birth_of_the_parents
  • Options
    philiph said:

Topping said:

The assassination of Louis Mountbatten presumably wasn't calculated to cause mass murder or panic. So as I understand it from you and Chazza, that wasn't terrorism?

Ha yes - I thought about it to be fair that actually it was a bomb on Mountbatten's boat so that was intended to cause "mass murder".

Political murder is presumably a subset of terrorism. The IRA targeted Neave (and Mountbatten) to try to degrade the structures of the state. Same as Mair - destroying an official of a government whose views he disagreed with.

Both terrorism, IMO.
  • Options

"The number of asylum applications being made in Germany was already 7 times higher than France at the time when people were saying Merkel's policy was too tough."

Loads more came after her intervention, it's pretty well documented

Loads more came after the intervention of Putin in Syria. Coincidence?
  • Options
    @Patrick Yes. That's a very meaningful distinction. ETA and the IRA had negotiable aims. IS doesn't. You can't negotiate with a millenarian cult who thinks the Last Battle is coming. At least superficially.
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223

Evidence?
  • Options
    Isn't terrorism simply an act designed to terrify people to further some political cause?

Doesn't really matter how many people you scare to qualify as terrorism.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,358
    edited December 2016
    Patrick said:

Seems wee Jimmie Krankie wants Scotland to not be in a free trade area / customs union with its most important market (by a long way). How odd!

She seems to be in some sort of denial about Brexit when the idea of Scotland getting a differential deal is rejected throughout Europe.

The process will grind on for months/years but ultimately the divorce settlement will be between the EU and UK.

Following that settlement Nicola Sturgeon will be left with accepting the deal or holding a new referendum

• Options
    philiph said:

Charles said:

I'd assumed that a desire to cause death or physical injury was a given!
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited December 2016
    Nicola Sturgeon's 'Scotland's Place in Europe' paper is, in substance, a proposal for Scottish independence without the inconvenience of another IndyRef.
  • Options

Patrick said:

She seems to be in some sort of denial about Brexit when the idea of Scotland getting a differential deal is rejected throughout Europe.

The process will grind on for months/years but ultimately the divorce settlement will be between the EU and UK.

Following that settlement Nicola Sturgeon will be left with accepting the deal or holding a new referendum
    We don't yet know what constitutional cards she holds within the UK. Wait for the Supreme Court to speak before coming to conclusions.
  • Options
    philiph said:

@Topping

Terrorism
    Terrorism is, in its broadest sense, the use of intentionally indiscriminate violence in order to achieve a political, religious, or ideological aim. It is classified as fourth-generation warfare and as a violent crime.More at Wikipedia

The word indiscriminate as opposed to targeted is, I think, the difference in definition between a political murder and terrorism.

I'd go with that definition - which is also why Mair was "political murder" not "terrorism"
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

philiph said:

Topping said:

Ha yes - I thought about it to be fair that actually it was a bomb on Mountbatten's boat so that was intended to cause "mass murder".

Political murder is presumably a subset of terrorism. The IRA targeted Neave (and Mountbatten) to try to degrade the structures of the state. Same as Mair - destroying an official of a government whose views he disagreed with.

Both terrorism, IMO.
    I'd stick the Jo Cox murder in the political assassination box - however the guy was clearly very disturbed and seeking mental health help. He's the same category as the guy who tried to shoot Trump AFAIC. They were lost.

He's not in the same bracket as an ideologue who was entirely average and had an agenda in mind.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,889
    The political journeys of most states have involved shocking levels of violence and death on a large scale. Civil wars are almost de rigeur - the conflicts in America, Russia and China killed millions. Britain didn't escape either.

I don't know why the path to relative enlightenment needed to be paved by the deaths of so many - perhaps their IQ wasn't high enough or they prayed to the wrong God or just looked different.

In an age of travel internal conflicts can be easily exported and indiscriminate death is part of a globalised world. The two things which provide relief are peace and prosperity. Economic development and individual wealth are integral to the pacification of society. It's the old adage about teaching a man to fish rather than giving him a fish.

It's controversial but if you want to stop people leaving give them a reason to stay. That means order, food, work, shelter and above all a stake in the future.

• Options
    Charles said:

philiph said:

@Topping

Terrorism

I'd go with that definition - which is also why Mair was "political murder" not "terrorism"
    Airey Neave?
  • Options
    I'm so glad that pb's Leavers are secure in the belief that politicians that have made it their life's work to foment alienation against immigrants bear no indirect responsibility for the killing of an elected representative who stood against such beliefs. It must be a relief not to have that on your conscience.
  • Options

Patrick said:

We don't yet know what constitutional cards she holds within the UK. Wait for the Supreme Court to speak before coming to conclusions.
    You do make a valid point but it seems to be accepted that Scotland will not have a veto - we will see but in the circumstances that Scotland cannot veto the A50 do you agree with my comments
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,927
    Alistair, you do enjoy trolling the readers of this site.
  • Options

Nicola Sturgeon's 'Scotland's Place in Europe' paper is, in substance, a proposal for Scottish independence without the inconvenience of another IndyRef.

It's possible that Brexit cannot be commenced without breaking 'the vow' that was made before the Scottish referendum. If the Supreme Court rejects the government's claim that enshrining a constitutional convention in legislation does not give it any further weight, Sturgeon is in a very strong position.
  • Options
    "Do you have a source for that claim?"

Ok I'm at work at the moment, but the stats for 2012 are documented here with a 34% birth rate for BME:

http://www.theoccidentalobserver.net/2014/09/the-africanization-of-france-medical-data-suggests-one-third-french-births-are-non-white/

Here is the raw data:

http://www.afdphe.org/sites/default/files/bilan_activite_2012.pdf

The latest figures which I don't have time to look for are over 40%.
  • Options
    edited December 2016

Patrick said:

You do make a valid point but it seems to be accepted that Scotland will not have a veto - we will see but in the circumstances that Scotland cannot veto the A50 do you agree with my comments
    They don't have a veto, but they may be able to force Westminster to overrule them, which would create a constitutional crisis for the devolution settlement and undermine the basis on which Scotland voted to stay in the Union.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Charles said:

philiph said:

@Topping

Terrorism

Airey Neave?
    I think a key element of the "fear" factor is the knowledge that the act can be repeated - that's why there is an ongoing threat.

The IRA (or ISIS - or a "lone wolf" inspired by ISIS) creates the fear that there are a number of connected people standing ready to execute on the next attack.

An individual attacker, like Mair, doesn't create that uncertainty. He murdered Jo Cox, was caught, tried and sentenced and is no longer a threat to the wider public. He isn't part of a group of attackers planning their next move.
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223

It's possible that Brexit cannot be commenced without breaking 'the vow' that was made before the Scottish referendum. If the Supreme Court rejects the government's claim that enshrining a constitutional convention in legislation does not give it any further weight, Sturgeon is in a very strong position.
    How can that be the case when the Lord Advocate himself admitted that Holyrood cannot be said to have a veto on EU withdrawal?
  • Options
    Mr. Glenn, Scotland having a veto over the EU situation would be an indefensible position. Also highlights why devolution should be well considered rather than done for short term reasons and partisan advantage.
  • Options
    I had a nice surprise this morning - BetfairEx finally settled their Win POTUS but Lose the Popular Vote market, which I'd forgotten all about ...... talk about withholding winnings until the last conceivable moment!
    Oh well, at least there will be food and wine on the Christmas dining table after all.
  • Options
    "Merkel's suspension of the Dublin rules for Syrians could be construed as an invitation but it was to people already in Europe."

Are you sure about that? I'm sure I remember numbers arriving in Europe increased dramatically after that point and not just in Germany. Happy to be corrected.

• Options

Patrick said:

They don't have a veto, but they may be able to force Westminster to overrule them, which would create a constitutional crisis for the devolution settlement and undermine the basis on which Scotland voted to stay in the Union.
    Then Theresa May should grant the OK for a second referendum on Independence

I believe that a second referendum would fail again and I am sure Nicola Sturgeon deep down knows this.
  • Options
    Mr. Sulphate, the numbers were already enormous but they did increase massively. More than 1% of Germany's population arrived in 2015 because of it.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

TOPPING said:

philiph said:

Topping said:

Both terrorism, IMO.
    I'd stick the Jo Cox murder in the political assassination box - however the guy was clearly very disturbed and seeking mental health help. He's the same category as the guy who tried to shoot Trump AFAIC. They were lost.

He's not in the same bracket as an ideologue who was entirely average and had an agenda in mind.
    He is a convicted politcally motivated murderer
    Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

philiph said:

@Topping

Terrorism

Airey Neave?
    I think a key element of the "fear" factor is the knowledge that the act can be repeated - that's why there is an ongoing threat.

The IRA (or ISIS - or a "lone wolf" inspired by ISIS) creates the fear that there are a number of connected people standing ready to execute on the next attack.

An individual attacker, like Mair, doesn't create that uncertainty. He murdered Jo Cox, was caught, tried and sentenced and is no longer a threat to the wider public. He isn't part of a group of attackers planning their next move.
    It could easily happen again. There is a right wing militaristic culture out there.
  • Options
    Thanks Mr Dancer. I was pretty certain that was the case and I don't understand how anyone could argue otherwise.
  • Options

"Merkel's suspension of the Dublin rules for Syrians could be construed as an invitation but it was to people already in Europe."

Are you sure about that? I'm sure I remember numbers arriving in Europe increased dramatically after that point and not just in Germany. Happy to be corrected.

By definition the Dublin rules only affect people already in Europe. The numbers were already high and growing and were influenced far more by events on the ground than by what Merkel said.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,986
    edited December 2016

I had a nice surprise this morning - BetfairEx finally settled their Win POTUS but Lose the Popular Vote market, which I'd forgotten all about ...... talk about withholding winnings until the last conceivable moment!
    Oh well, at least there will be food and wine on the Christmas dining table after all.

Yes, this was a pleasent surprise. I went to withdraw - then reversed as I was able to lay England (Note not the draw, England) to win the test to create enough extra money for a round of drinks :D !

Should be safely in the bank in a few days..
  • Options
    "By definition the Dublin rules only affect people already in Europe. "

So what? It doesn't mean suspending them didn't encourage loads more to come which is clearly what happened.
  • Options
    Mr. Sulphate, might just be a matter of semantics. Merkel didn't create the migrant crisis, but she did unnecessarily cause it to become much worse.
  • Options
    Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

philiph said:

@Topping

Terrorism

Airey Neave?

I don't think it impossible that it could re-occur plus I'm sure there is certainly if not a fear factor, then an awareness amongst MPs about where their political views could lead to and what reactions they might provoke.

That in itself is pretty much an ongoing threat. Not necessarily to Joe Public, but to the machinery of state which is arguably more serious.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,517

FF43 said:

The thing is, no-one, Leaver or Remainer is trying to make the best of Brexit. Remainers fold their arms and say, nothing to do with us. Leavers variously that it will all be great, no need to discuss ; or blaming others for thwarting the project. None of these three attitudes are recipes for success.

A consensus can only happen if all parties accept that Brexit will go ahead, that it will be very messy, and that it's up to us to deal with the mess and that for the foreseeable period our efforts are devoted entirely to formally leaving the EU while limiting the damage as much as possible.

The politics acts against that consensus unfortunately. Vote for us to make the most of the bad job you voted for, isn't a compelling call to action.

I would love to see Remainers shape the future of our country - that is after all what leaving the EU is about. The supremacy of British law and British government policy. But there is no actual looking forward from them. There's remoaning, and their only strategem for the future seems to be to rejoin anything and everything we can that limits British autonomy. I don't actually think they want it to work. This is the issue. They claim to be the adults in the room - so why the huge sulk?
    Sums it up well. The problem is how many of these types of Remainers are also in the cabinet? Hammond is one and Rudd another. I suspect it may make up half the cabinet.
    Yes. And possibly that mistress of mystique Ms. May.
  • Options
    @Yellow Submarine

I largely agree - it is ridiculous to focus on just one cause without addressing the wider catalogue of policy failure.

We should focus on (a) the failure of Western governments to pursue a more interventionist policy in the Middle East in recent years that would have prevented the region falling apart and generating a refugee crisis on a scale not seen since of WW2 and (b) the penny pinching (and penny wise pound foolish incidentally) approach to providing aid to help support and encourage those refugees remain in the Middle East as least and (c) the collective failure of the EU and nation states within it to bring in a large scale quota programme of managed migration including security service screening, as much as (d) the open borders within Europe that permitted a free for all of large scale uncontrolled migration upon breaching EU borders in the absence of effective policies along the lines of (a), (b) and (c).
  • Options
    Schauble's description of Merkel as a " careless skier " can be plausibly made. But she didn't create the Snow and at the time the Snow was already in Europe. Perhaps it was a controlled explosion to direct the avalanche. A controlled explosion she had no democratic mandate for and in the TV and Internet age an explosion that could be misconstrued the world over.

But the mass migration was, is and will happen anyway. Which is why while we are all praising Cameron, the current frothing about making the 0.7% aid target the next populist goal is for the birds. The West is going to have to spend and spend big. Which is a better criticism of Merkel. Germany's aid budget isn't big for a rich northern European democracy and accommodating migrants in Germany it's self is very very expensive.

In retrospect the Germans should just have written a very very large cheque as a way of reducing the pressure in Jordan, Turkey and Lebanon. Which they've belatedly started to do.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,618

I'm so glad that pb's Leavers are secure in the belief that politicians that have made it their life's work to foment alienation against immigrants bear no indirect responsibility for the killing of an elected representative who stood against such beliefs. It must be a relief not to have that on your conscience.

Then you, as someone who supports Mrs Merkel's actions, have the blood of 12 Germans on your hands. This eventuality was pointed out on here and elsewhere on numerous occasions. Yet we were belittled and patronised by you and others like you as racist or not having a heart.

No, now is the time for people like you to keep quiet, on Brexit, on Islamic migration and on terrorism. You've been wrong on every single point and shouting down opposition by calling anyone who disagrees a racist is why we are where we are and countless people in Europe have died needlessly or had serious injuries from terrorist acts.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,561
    "It's controversial but if you want to stop people leaving give them a reason to stay. That means order, food, work, shelter and above all a stake in the future."

And the communitarians needs to realise that the community already present in a country has a stake and say in what happens. "Shut up and enjoy" is the policy of the ostrich.

One of the things we need is absolute judgement - the moral value (plus or minus) of the actions of all individuals needs to be measured against the same standard.
  • Options
    Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

philiph said:

@Topping

Terrorism

Airey Neave?

I would agree with that, and dispute the definition given earlier.

The clue to terrorism is in the name: the intent to terrorise a people or government into changing their behaviour in a way acceptable to the terrorists. That terror comes from the fear of what comes next and has to be based on a proven threat and a presumed capacity and willingness to repeat acts of terror. That's why I take issue with the word 'indiscriminate' in the definition. Terrorism is politics by other means and while acts may be indiscriminate, with the intention of creating terror within a people at large, they may also be specific and/or limited, in line with the political purpose intended.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

PlatoSaid said:

TOPPING said:

philiph said:

Topping said:

Both terrorism, IMO.

Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

philiph said:

@Topping

Terrorism

Airey Neave?

It could easily happen again. There is a right wing militaristic culture out there.
    Yes, but you can't say "A" happened and "B" happened therefore they are part of the same organisation.
  • Options
    @CopperSulphate Correlation isn't cause and the Great Migration has been underway for years. Though I don't deny the power of the specific media coverage in a smart phone age. Nor that Merkel voluntarily took more migrants than Germany was legally obliged to. Nor that the partial suspension of Dublin will have encouraged more intra European movement.
  • Options
    edited December 2016

"By definition the Dublin rules only affect people already in Europe. "

So what? It doesn't mean suspending them didn't encourage loads more to come which is clearly what happened.

Let's look at the numbers for 2015, 2016 (taken from http://popstats.unhcr.org/en/asylum_seekers_monthly).

The desire to blame Merkel for everything to do with the refugee crisis given all the many guilty parties involved in the migration crisis, not least our own complicity in the mess in Syria is a completely unthinking knee-jerk reaction.

• Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited December 2016
    @peter_from_putney

Finally....

The odd thing is their sportsbook settled the PV market ages ago

https://twitter.com/raexno92/status/798232978396708864/photo/1

Anyway. At least we got there in the end..
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Happy birthday to Plato. It's mine tomorrow incidentally.

Mine too.
    And the anniversary of Lockerbie.
  • Options

Schauble's description of Merkel as a " careless skier " can be plausibly made. But she didn't create the Snow and at the time the Snow was already in Europe. Perhaps it was a controlled explosion to direct the avalanche. A controlled explosion she had no democratic mandate for and in the TV and Internet age an explosion that could be misconstrued the world over.

But the mass migration was, is and will happen anyway. Which is why while we are all praising Cameron, the current frothing about making the 0.7% aid target the next populist goal is for the birds. The West is going to have to spend and spend big. Which is a better criticism of Merkel. Germany's aid budget isn't big for a rich northern European democracy and accommodating migrants in Germany it's self is very very expensive.

In retrospect the Germans should just have written a very very large cheque as a way of reducing the pressure in Jordan, Turkey and Lebanon. Which they've belatedly started to do.

The German defence budget, it's aid budget and it's border patrol are all a complete and utter joke. Germany saves €60-70bn per year of low to zero multiplier public spending by skimping on these areas. With a proper national defence force and border force the millions could easily have been repelled and sent back to where they came from, allowing for Dave's plan to be put in effect across the whole continent rather than just in the UK and Ireland.

Merkel is one of the major causes of this problem in Europe, though the root cause is all of us telling people in Syria that they could have a democracy when a negotiated settlement with Assad is what we should have done.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,986
    edited December 2016
    @Pong The % bands should be sorted soon enough.

Turnout is going to give them a headache, I make it out to be 59% - but they've created a rod for their own backs with that market.

I note the user posted up a sportsbook from his mobile, exchange betting on somewhat obscure markets is almost impossible from a mobile I've found - it is set up well enough for football ACCAs though........
  • Options
    Re: PB quiz question.

Jack Jones stood as National Socialist in 1918 according to wikipedia.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Then you, as someone who supports Mrs Merkel's actions, have the blood of 12 Germans on your hands.
    Max you're losing it a bit - are you on a pre-move extended bender?
  • Options
    Charles said:

Jonathan said:

PlatoSaid said:

TOPPING said:

philiph said:

Topping said:

Both terrorism, IMO.

Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

philiph said:

@Topping

Terrorism

Airey Neave?

Yes, but you can't say "A" happened and "B" happened therefore they are part of the same organisation.
    That applies about a lot of things including religiously motivated terrorism.
  • Options

FF43 said:

If she does not come out in January with a clear set of aims and principles for Brexit, then she will lack the vision to drive us forward. Gordon Brown also was a dithering, controller of detail with no vision.
  • Options
    Mr. Submarine, "Correlation isn't cause..." - agree entirely.

*cough*temperaturecarbondioxide*cough*
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Happy birthday to Plato. It's mine tomorrow incidentally.

Mine too.
    And the anniversary of Lockerbie.
    Happy Returns!
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

Then you, as someone who supports Mrs Merkel's actions, have the blood of 12 Germans on your hands.
    Max you're losing it a bit - are you on a pre-move extended bender?
    If Meeks wants to accuse me and others of being responsible for the despicable act committed by Mair then he bears the same responsibility for the atrocities that are happening all to often in Europe.
  • Options

FF43 said:

If she does not come out in January with a clear set of aims and principles for Brexit, then she will lack the vision to drive us forward. Gordon Brown also was a dithering, controller of detail with no vision.
    Everything she's said so could be interpreted as laying the ground to blame someone else for why Article 50 can't be declared on schedule.
  • Options
    German Interior Minister De Maiziere: The arrested man is from Pakistan, and arrived in Germany on 31 December 2015. He arrived in Berlin in February. The suspect speaks Baluchi, one of five regional languages spoken in Pakistan.

De Maizière said there had been problems questioning him in the past because no translator could be found who spoke Baluchi.
  • Options

Re: PB quiz question.

Jack Jones stood as National Socialist in 1918 according to wikipedia.

Fair enough!

But not the Cabinet Minister that I was thinking of...
This discussion has been closed.