Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » It’s not just Manchester where there’ll be 2017 directly elect

Comments

• Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,856
    edited December 2016
    Jobabob said:

Speedy said:

Another level of bureaucratic nonsense from Osborne, East Anglia doesn't even have a city that needs a mayor.

Worse chancellor since Brown, or worse than Brown depending on the subject.

What is 'bureaucratic nonsense' was the insane existing 'system' in metropolitan areas where several local authorities which essentially comprise the same city-region were bound together by fundamentally weak voluntary local partnerships rather than sensible administrative structures.

Witness the pathetic parochialism in Greater Newcastle where Gateshead continues to refuse to work with the City Council despite being just over the river, and is the same city for all intents and purposes. Salford once had a similar little brother complex with the City of Manchester when the rest of the world shrugged its shoulders.

Why London should be the only city-region to have sensible government has always been a mystery. Well done George Osborne for imposing this on the petty minds of local councillors and creating units that make sense.

I agree that an East Anglia Combined Authority is a bridge too far – these super mayors should have been limited to metros.
    Many of the same people who gripe about years of neglect of the North also complain about these attempts at devolution.

Metro devolution is a necessary, but not sufficient, condition of revival outside of London.

I agree it ought to have been kept to proper metros. It could be argued, though, that county councils need more power over planning, transport, and economic development.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,625
    @Jobabob - Gateshead was happy to collaborate with Newcastle (and N & S Tyneside and Sunderland) as part of Tyne & Wear County Council, where each borough had councillors elected, and there was consensus on pan-T&W issues such as transport.

Under the current plans Gateshead & others south of the Tyne don't want to be dominated by a Newcastle based Mayor making decisions to benefit the regional capital rather than the region.

Say what you like about Prezza's plans for a regional assembly, but it would not have been the plaything of a single over-powerful politician, and, being based in Durham, would have been seen as being more balanced between the competing interests of Newcastle, Sunderland and the more rural outlying parts of the region. I was the voter who voted 'Yes' to the plan.
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807

Mr. Eagles, it feels like a first step towards Balkanising England.

The only way England can have equality is for an English Parliament.

Utter hyperbole. And totally wrong (EP is a total waste of time, money and energy and in any case England is too big in comparison to Celtic nations).

We already have devolved govt in London, so why not in Mcr, Liverpool, Brum etc?
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, we'll see what the deal is.

Patronising people worked tremendously well during the referendum campaign. It's a little early to resume.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @BBCNormanS: Theresa May not ruling out "betrayal" of UK still paying in to EU after Brexit
  • Options
    As a working class Northerner I heartily approve of these metro mayors.
  • Options
  • Options

@Jobabob - Gateshead was happy to collaborate with Newcastle (and N & S Tyneside and Sunderland) as part of Tyne & Wear County Council, where each borough had councillors elected, and there was consensus on pan-T&W issues such as transport.

Under the current plans Gateshead & others south of the Tyne don't want to be dominated by a Newcastle based Mayor making decisions to benefit the regional capital rather than the region.

Say what you like about Prezza's plans for a regional assembly, but it would not have been the plaything of a single over-powerful politician, and, being based in Durham, would have been seen as being more balanced between the competing interests of Newcastle, Sunderland and the more rural outlying parts of the region. I was the voter who voted 'Yes' to the plan.

Gateshead IS just part of Newcastle – in any sensible set up it would be wards within it, not a separate council. The whole thing is absurd. Merge them.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    edited December 2016

Apparently the shooter said it was for Aleppo.

Fortunately we've got Trump to calm things down.

Are there still about 1.5m displaced Syrians in Turkey? On top of domestic Turkish Russophobes, who might have any number of real or imagined grievances, the refugees add another level of danger.
  • Options
    Mr. Jobabob, no, it isn't.

Scotland has around twice the population of Wales, but nobody said a Scottish Parliament was too big. The only way England can have equality is to have the same deal. If we opt for further devolution beneath that, fair enough (likewise if not).

Magic how Celtic nations, as you put it, are the perfect size for devolution but England's just wrong. Yet, somehow, we have a Parliament for the whole UK.
  • Options
    It is going to confuse the Leavers. People suing the EU.
  • Options
    F1: oddly short tenure (4 months) for Capito at McLaren. Apparently seen as Ron Dennis' chap:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/38371269
  • Options

AndyJS said:

O/T:

What do PBers think of the 13 year sentence handed to the 101 year old today?

I believe the sentence is in line with guidelines, and he was over the age of majority when the crimes were committed, so his current age shouldn't excuse him jail time, even if prisons are ill equipped to deal with OAP prisoners
    I think it's exceptionally harsh - the prison regime is very much more difficult for someone of his age to deal with and this aspect doesn't appear to have been fully taken into account.
    The truth is however, that even if his sentence had been half of that imposed, he is unlikely to ever see the light of day again, in a manner of speaking.
    All things being equal, he'll serve half his sentence in jail.
    That's really my point ..... in reality he probably won't.
    Strikes me that he'll probably have a cost-free retirement home on a prison hospital wing.
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

Gateshead IS just part of Newcastle – in any sensible set up it would be wards within it, not a separate council. The whole thing is absurd. Merge them.
    Quite right.

Brooklyn used to be a separate city from New York. Who, now, would advocate it setting up on its own? Hasn't lost its own identity, either.
  • Options
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,472
    edited December 2016

AndyJS said:

O/T:

I believe the sentence is in line with guidelines, and he was over the age of majority when the crimes were committed, so his current age shouldn't excuse him jail time, even if prisons are ill equipped to deal with OAP prisoners
    I think it's exceptionally harsh - the prison regime is very much more difficult for someone of his age to deal with and this aspect doesn't appear to have been fully taken into account.
    The truth is however, that even if his sentence had been half of that imposed, he is unlikely to ever see the light of day again, in a manner of speaking.
    Strikes me that he'll probably have a cost-free retirement home on a prison hospital wing.
    Prison hospital wings really are shite, if you really want someone to suffer, send them to prison and in need of medical care
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,625
    Gateshead is not part of Newcastle. It is historically in a separate county.

• Options

Personally, I'd rather have a Yorkshire parliament with a FM accountable to MYPs but something is better than nothing.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,071
    That's Richard Grosvenor Plunkett-Ernle-Erle-Drax to you.

These nutters need to be told to stand for UKIP.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,775
    I see the proxy war is ongoing - no matter that the government itself uses such talk, as expected extreme partisans will deny anyone else the right to define things:

http://order-order.com/2016/12/19/parliament-releases-official-brexit-dictionary/

In truth these varying types of Brexit are Remainer talk. There is only one Brexit: a clean departure from the single market and customs union to untie ourselves from EU shackles and freely embrace the rest of the world…

Maybe that would be the best approach, maybe it would be the cleanest. But goddamn it irrtates when such people define an ambiguous term and deny that it is even possible to define it any other way. Not 'this is the only appropriate Brexit' or 'the only good Brexit'. No no, the only Brexit.

On topic, the whole 'devolution' agenda is a complete mess, so I hear from people involved in discussions on the subject at various levels, and it's a waste of time and effort as a result, with absurd boundaries and varies 'devolutions' meaning no one has any real idea of what it means (apparently since Osborne has left government seems less keen anyway). I guess this wave is here to stay though.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    TSE, clearly it's bollocks. Honey G would have got a better renegotiation deal from the EU.
  • Options

Personally, I'd rather have a Yorkshire parliament with a FM accountable to MYPs but something is better than nothing.
    I attended a Yorkshire First event, I'm not keen.

It did turn into a rant that I was not supporting the 20/20 cricket franchise of Leeds United
  • Options
    Mr. Herdson, the idea of a Yorkshire Parliament is the height of drunken madness.
  • Options

Mr. Jobabob, no, it isn't.

Scotland has around twice the population of Wales, but nobody said a Scottish Parliament was too big. The only way England can have equality is to have the same deal. If we opt for further devolution beneath that, fair enough (likewise if not).

Magic how Celtic nations, as you put it, are the perfect size for devolution but England's just wrong. Yet, somehow, we have a Parliament for the whole UK.

Actually he is right. The issue in going fully federal is that England is too large *relative* to its parent entity, the U.K. Any English parliament would therefore be either too powerful - delegitimising Westminster - or an expensive talking shop.

The only way to square the circle is regional devolution within England.

There seems/seemed little appetite for devolution to the regions. So let's try metros and counties.

Osborne's initiatives are a tiny step in the right direction.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    @JossiasJessup

"It's obvious that our distant ancestors were not as primitive as I was taught at school."

I agree. The idea that the ancient Brits were unsophisticated savages before the Romans arrived and descended into barbarism and the Dark Ages after they had left is the same sort of nonsense that is today peddled by some of our rabid supporters of the EU.
  • Options
    Unconfirmed

@maxseddon: Turkish media now reporting that both the Russian ambassador and the man who shot him have died.
  • Options

Southwark was (is) in Surrey, and the City of London was (is) in Middlesex. But both are clearly in Greater London.
  • Options

Southwark was (is) in Surrey, and the City of London was (is) in Middlesex. But both are clearly in Greater London.
    I still can't get over Yorkshire losing to the county championship to a county that doesn't exist.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,449
    The reason there has always been a bit more ambivalence about government by the Metropolitan Counties than about Greater London is that the Metropolitan Counties are conurbations, not cities - and there is always a bit of suspicion from those boroughs which do not make up the core cities about the extent to which the core city will dominate. Greater Manchester is not a lot of suburbs around a big city in the way that Greater London is; it's a lot of medium-sized towns around a big city - most of which have seen a lot of decline over the past thirty years relative to the big city in the centre.

Oh, and the fact that however laudable the aims, all Metropolitan regions will end up as one-party states run by the Labour Party, which is hardly a mark of a functioning democracy. The battle for the leadership of Greater Manchester has already been fought and won, within the Labour Party, by Andy Burnham - those of us who aren't members of the party don't really have any input into proceedings. Maybe these elections would work better if all parties had to put forward several candidates (obviously using AV to select the overall winner).
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Off topic, I hope the FA pays the FIFA fines to the poppy appeal - and the FA tells FIFA to FO
  • Options

AndyJS said:

O/T:

Prison hospital wings really are shite, if you really want someone to suffer, send them to prison and in need of medical care
    That may well be true. I'm afraid I struggle to find much sympathy for him.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,031
    edited December 2016

Are there still about 1.5m displaced Syrians in Turkey? On top of domestic Turkish Russophobes, who might have any number of real or imagined grievances, the refugees add another level of danger.
    Turkey now has about 2.7 million registered Syrian refugees. They have cost the country $8 billion in aid so far.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refugees_of_the_Syrian_Civil_War

I find it sad that many of the same people who talk about the pressures immigration has had on the UK seem close-minded to the pressures that a massive wave of immigration in a much shorter period has had on Turkey.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

The reason there has always been a bit more ambivalence about government by the Metropolitan Counties than about Greater London is that the Metropolitan Counties are conurbations, not cities - and there is always a bit of suspicion from those boroughs which do not make up the core cities about the extent to which the core city will dominate. Greater Manchester is not a lot of suburbs around a big city in the way that Greater London is; it's a lot of medium-sized towns around a big city - most of which have seen a lot of decline over the past thirty years relative to the big city in the centre.

Oh, and the fact that however laudable the aims, all Metropolitan regions will end up as one-party states run by the Labour Party, which is hardly a mark of a functioning democracy. The battle for the leadership of Greater Manchester has already been fought and won, within the Labour Party, by Andy Burnham - those of us who aren't members of the party don't really have any input into proceedings. Maybe these elections would work better if all parties had to put forward several candidates (obviously using AV to select the overall winner).

Or open primaries. Smart idea.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

O/T:

That may well be true. I'm afraid I struggle to find much sympathy for him.
    I have no sympathy for him either
  • Options
    Mr. Walker, I have no problem emasculating Westminster and reducing it to Defence, Foreign, some Treasury and Home functions.
  • Options
    Theresa May is running out of reasons not to call an early election

The Prime Minister's agenda is under threat from all sides.

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/elections/2016/12/theresa-may-running-out-reasons-not-call-early-election
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    The UK is in need of some large units compared to London, these ~ 2-3 million regions should aid with that.
  • Options
    What is Theresa May's agenda?

Aside from a 'Red, white and blue' Brexit, what is the government doing?
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,311
    edited December 2016
    It's the same (weak, IMO) argument that was used against PCCs. It's local democracy. So we're not used to it, we ridicule it, and we will probably ignore and abstain from it.

But local democracy it is and people should be happy to have it.
  • Options

It did turn into a rant that I was not supporting the 20/20 cricket franchise of Leeds United
    Yorks First is a stupid political party. They'd be much better as a non-partisan pressure group, particularly given that the authorities need(ed) to come up with some devolution proposal.

MD - Yorkshire gets a bum deal from Westminster and Whitehall, in no small part because it doesn't have a strong enough voice (or, perhaps more accurately, a strong voice that is effectively channeled).
  • Options

Screwing poor children by introducing grammar schools to help an elite few, that's on her agenda.
  • Options

Turkey now has about 2.7 million registered Syrian refugees. They have cost the country $8 billion in aid so far.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refugees_of_the_Syrian_Civil_War

I find it sad that many of the same people who talk about the pressures immigration has had on the UK seem close-minded to the pressures that a massive wave of immigration in a much shorter period has had on Turkey.
    Gosh, I didn't realise the numbers had grown so far since I last checked.

The chances of a home-grown terrorist having carried out the attack are probably higher than it having been a Syrian (or foreign terrorist) but I wouldn't rule out any alternative.
  • Options

Theresa May is looking forward to next year's collection of 'turn ups' from Amanda Wakeley.
  • Options

Yorks First is a stupid political party. They'd be much better as a non-partisan pressure group, particularly given that the authorities need(ed) to come up with some devolution proposal.

MD - Yorkshire gets a bum deal from Westminster and Whitehall, in no small part because it doesn't have a strong enough voice (or, perhaps more accurately, a strong voice that is effectively channeled).
    Yorkshire needs to be united instead of having been castrated into four.

Just imagine if North Yorkshire, West Yorkshire, South Yorkshire, and East Yorkshire united into one massive full on county of Yorkshire.

We wouldn't need a Metro Mayor or non job like First Minister, we'd need a Governor of Yorkshire,
  • Options
    edited December 2016

The government is not doing anything because they are trying to win a 3m chase with a two-yr old filly*.

The mechanism of government is not set up to assess and develop a strategy for leaving the EU. It needs to be geared up, there need to be a sh*tload more civil servants, and the whole machinery of government needs to be turned towards the task.

This has not yet happened.

*@kle4 pls advise.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited December 2016
    BBC — unconfirmed reports that the Russian ambassador to Turkey has died.
  • Options

Just imagine if North Yorkshire, West Yorkshire, South Yorkshire, and East Yorkshire united into one massive full on county of Yorkshire.

We wouldn't need a Metro Mayor or non job like First Minister, we'd need a Governor of Yorkshire,
    A Governor in British tradition is appointed by the Crown. How about Consul?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

BBC — unconfirmed reports that the Russian ambassador to Turkey has died.

Confirmed by Russian media now...
  • Options

None of the following were part of the County of London:

Walthamstow (Essex)
    Harlesden (Middlesex)
    Wimbledon (Surrey)

Yet only the certifiable would suggest their being removed from London.

• Options
    @SkyNewsBreak: Russian state media reports the country's ambassador to Turkey Andrey Karlov has died after being shot at an art exhibition in Ankara
  • Options

A Governor in British tradition is appointed by the Crown. How about Consul?
    I could live with that. Emperor would be fine too.
  • Options
    Just when you thought 2016 couldn't get any more dangerous...
  • Options

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/elections/2016/12/theresa-may-running-out-reasons-not-call-early-election

Hmm. Thin gruel that article. The government's primary agenda is Brexit now. The fact that there's a few issues at DFID and they might not get more strike legislation through house of lords hardly constitutes a need to dash for the polls.

More of a pressure is the thought that Corbyn might not make it to 2020.
  • Options

Hmm. Thin gruel that article. The government's primary agenda is Brexit now. The fact that there's a few issues at DFID and they might not get more strike legislation through house of lords hardly constitutes a need to dash for the polls.

This is the reason why PB Brexiters don't get it when they say if only we'd stop talking about Brexit.

It's the only political game in town.
  • Options
    Mr. Herdson, establish a Yorkshire Parliament and you'll get an East Anglian one, a Cornish one, and before you know it you'll have carved England into shitty little fiefdoms.

Was Scotland split into Lowlands, Highlands and Islands, or did it get one Parliament?
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    I don't understand this thread . AFAIK , ( Greater ) Lincolnshire Mayoral proposal is dead in the water as is Solent . East Anglia has been emasculated into Cambs and Peterborough which as they were only included originally as Norfolk and Suffolk were thought to be too small on their own is a bit of a joke . There will be a North Tyneside mayoral election next year but this is a one council mayor not a regional one .
  • Options
    Waaaay off-topic:

The new bridge over the Bosporus is beautiful:
    http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/Default.aspx?pageID=429&GalleryID=2759

It's also fairly unusual (unique?) in being a hybrid suspension and cable-stayed bridge. Extra points if you know the difference betwen suspension and cable-stayed. ;)
  • Options
    West Midlands will be interesting. Former boss of John Lewis is running iirc.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Croydon, Romford and Richmond are all definable self contained towns.

And rightly part of Greater London.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    Cookie said:

Utter Rot. Greater London is a conurbation itself that has expanded to engulf the many surrounding towns. Greater London of course is a relatively new concept itself. Indeed it is part of the success of the Greater London model in creating a singular "London" identity that people don't even realise this anymore. While not totally there yet most of the south of the GM conurbation is continuous development. Most of the gaps are floodplain.

It has been all the councils of GM, not just the city of Manchester, that have been pushing for more autonomy ever since the metropolitan councils were abolished. None of this would be happening if it wasn't for their lobbying efforts.

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Pulpstar said:

@David_herdson We all own victorian piles on 10 acres here.

Not me! I had them treated...
  • Options
    "Gunman shot Karlov nine times before yelling 'Allahu Akbar'

Andrey Karlov was shot nine times by the gunman, who then allegedly yelled "Allahu Akbar," and "Aleppo, revenge.""

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/12/19/russias-ambassador-turkey-shot-assassination-attempt1/
  • Options

May is running a zombie government.
    Whether by circumstance (Brexit, small majority) or instinct, I do not know - but it is a do nothing government.

Why she thought it necessary to castigate her predecessors regime is not clear to me if her intention is literally to do nothing.
  • Options

I don't understand this thread . AFAIK , ( Greater ) Lincolnshire Mayoral proposal is dead in the water as is Solent . East Anglia has been emasculated into Cambs and Peterborough which as they were only included originally as Norfolk and Suffolk were thought to be too small on their own is a bit of a joke . There will be a North Tyneside mayoral election next year but this is a one council mayor not a regional one .

It's a classically British bugger's muddle.

But the people who are missing out (on locally accountable politicians with actual spending clout) are all outside London, so no one really gives a flying one.
  • Options
    No surprise that ComRes finds that Brits are sticking with Brexit. There's been no hard evidence whatsoever since the vote to suggest they were wrong first time around.
  • Options

Mr. Herdson, establish a Yorkshire Parliament and you'll get an East Anglian one, a Cornish one, and before you know it you'll have carved England into shitty little fiefdoms.

Was Scotland split into Lowlands, Highlands and Islands, or did it get one Parliament?

A Yorkshire assembly, or as I prefer, beefed up county council, makes complete sense.

Yorkshire has been a coherent territorial entity longer than most European states, and its population is larger than many.

Why shouldn't Yorkshire have approximately the same powers as, say, Wallonia? :)
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

Cookie said:

Utter Rot. Greater London is a conurbation itself that has expanded to engulf the many surrounding towns. Greater London of course is a relatively new concept itself. Indeed it is part of the success of the Greater London model in creating a singular "London" identity that people don't even realise this anymore.
    I disagree. I grew up in Surbiton. I was born the year after it became part of Greater London, but the things that made us "London" were that we had red London Transport buses, not green "country" ones, the police station at the end of the road belonged to the Met, and our phone number began with "01".

And I'd go as far as say even people still in "proper" Surrey identified with London more than not (large parts of current Surrey were also served by the Met until 1999 for instance). As Sham 69 put it: "Country slang with a Bow Bells voice, / So close to the city we ain't got much choice"
  • Options

No surprise that ComRes finds that Brits are sticking with Brexit. There's been no hard evidence whatsoever since the vote to suggest they were wrong first time around.

There's also no evidence they're getting behind it, and we need to see the weighting adjustments.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    BBC breaking

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-38369962

Russian ambassador to Turkey shot dead
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400

May is running a zombie government.
    Whether by circumstance (Brexit, small majority) or instinct, I do not know - but it is a do nothing government.

Why she thought it necessary to castigate her predecessors regime is not clear to me if her intention is literally to do nothing.
    Do nothing, achieve nothing was her successful tactic during her time in the home office so not surprising she's repeating it now. At some point though with prisons, hospitals and the rail network failing, people might get a little annoyed.
  • Options
    That assassin is quite well dressed.
    In an art gallery, too.

Political murder is going up market.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,793
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Assassin identified as a Turkish police officer

Ambassador shot in the back 5 times

Sky news
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited December 2016
    Telegraph: - Russian ambassador Karlov and gunman confirmed dead.

According to local reports, the attacker was a Turkish policemen (sp) who had been assigned to the security detail overlooking the event which Mr Karlov had been attending. Oops!
  • Options
    rpjs said:

Cookie said:

Utter Rot. Greater London is a conurbation itself that has expanded to engulf the many surrounding towns. Greater London of course is a relatively new concept itself. Indeed it is part of the success of the Greater London model in creating a singular "London" identity that people don't even realise this anymore.
    I disagree. I grew up in Surbiton. I was born the year after it became part of Greater London, but the things that made us "London" were that we had red London Transport buses, not green "country" ones, the police station at the end of the road belonged to the Met, and our phone number began with "01".

And I'd go as far as say even people still in "proper" Surrey identified with London more than not (large parts of current Surrey were also served by the Met until 1999 for instance). As Sham 69 put it: "Country slang with a Bow Bells voice, / So close to the city we ain't got much choice"
    Great song. Nice to see it referenced in a PB thread.
  • Options
    There are potential issues with these mayors and assemblies.

As an example, Transport for London is getting increasing power over services that are not in London. This is not necessarily a good for those outside London.
  • Options
    theakestheakes Posts: 842
    Steve Garner. It is 47-45% is it not with 8% undecided?. How on earth is that sticking by the decision. The 8% could split any way you want.You could also argue that the Remain vote excluding undecided is 3% down and the Leave 5%!!!!!. That fits in with some folk I know who voted Leave but are not at all certain now.
    In any case what does Leave mean if we are going to stay in the Customs Union (vix Liam Fox). That is what the EU is basically about so what is the point of trying to Leave?
    The whole business simply bemuses me.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898
    edited December 2016
    Evening. Sounds like shit just got serious between Russia and Turkey. Russian ambassador assassinated in Ankara this evening.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/12/19/russias-ambassador-turkey-shot-assassination-attempt1/
  • Options

Jobabob said:

Quite right.

Brooklyn used to be a separate city from New York. Who, now, would advocate it setting up on its own? Hasn't lost its own identity, either.
    OTOH Staten Island came close to seceding from NYC in the 90s. Actually, quite possibly it did, but the rest of us haven't noticed yet.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Sandpit said:

Evening. Sounds like shit just got serious between Russia and Turkey. Russian ambassador assassinated in Ankara this evening.

I thought Putin and Erdogan were best buds these days? Not sure this is necessarily of geopolitical import, as horrifying as it is.
  • Options
    Just seen the video. The guy seems to be alone and completely behind and to the left of the ambassador and just let fire.

I see trouble ahead.
  • Options
    Theakes, how on earth is it not sticking by the decision? By my calculation 47-45 is still a majority of those expressing a preference, a bit like the referendum itself.
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

Sky news

Bu**er. This is going to get messy.
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956
    How nice it would be just to sweep away the whole mess of District Councils, County Councils, devolved assemblies, and now these combined authorities and replace them with sensible-sized unitaries.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    rpjs said:

Cookie said:

Utter rot. Greater London is a conurbation itself that has expanded to engulf the many surrounding towns. Greater London of course is a relatively new concept itself. Indeed it is part of the success of the Greater London model in creating a singular "London" identity that people don't even realise this anymore.

Yes, but that is different to the metropolitan counties (except the metropolitan bus companies were abolished with deregulation).
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930
    Right wing nutter or Islamic Extremist? The new guessing game for 2017

https://twitter.com/mailonline/status/810900126029877248
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited December 2016

Yes.

I wonder how many Remainers would be fooled again. It's also very clear that their resistance to democracy is dimly viewed even among their number.
  • Options
    I like everything about this tweet, down to the hashtag:

https://twitter.com/LordAshcroft/status/810905921857712128
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

There's also no evidence they're getting behind it, and we need to see the weighting adjustments.
    So far no real reason for Bregret, because apart from devaluation there has so far been no change. How people feel in a years time will be more telling, but even then too soon for serious buyers remorse.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079

Like it or not, Newcastle does dominate the NE. Gateshead and South Tyneside are shooting themselves in the foot by dragging their feet. They are bringing the whole of Tyneside down with them.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,793
    Essexit said:

How nice it would be just to sweep away the whole mess of District Councils, County Councils, devolved assemblies, and now these combined authorities and replace them with sensible-sized unitaries.

https://xkcd.com/927/

• Options
    isam said:

Might well be left-wing: Turkey has a plethora of active terrorist groups of all persuasions: it isn't just the PKK.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revolutionary_People's_Liberation_Party/Front
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898
    Moses_ said:

Sky news

If the assassin was indeed a policeman, then this shit just got very serious indeed.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930

isam said:

Might well be left-wing: Turkey has a plethora of active terrorist groups of all persuasions: it isn't just the PKK.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revolutionary_People's_Liberation_Party/Front
    It's in Switzerland
  • Options

rpjs said:

Cookie said:

Utter rot. Greater London is a conurbation itself that has expanded to engulf the many surrounding towns. Greater London of course is a relatively new concept itself. Indeed it is part of the success of the Greater London model in creating a singular "London" identity that people don't even realise this anymore.

Yes, but that is different to the metropolitan counties (except the metropolitan bus companies were abolished with deregulation).
    Maybe, and I do have a college friend from Atherton in Greater Manchester who used to say folk there looked upon people from Leigh as "foreigners" and that Bolton was the big city as far as they were concerned.
This discussion has been closed.