Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Saved by der Bellen but what will the Italian referendum bring

Comments

• Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Shy YES voters decide Italian referendum.
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    surbiton said:

Dixie said:

Another quick map I made, this time by province, of the 7pm turnout in Italy. Red->Blue, High->Low
    https://s13.postimg.org/n0mtihgwn/Map_of_Italy_blankt7.png

Highest Vicenza 67.86%
    Lowest Crotone 39.25%

great job
    So, YES is winning !
    I thought the North-East / Venice region was mostly Northern League? Who are No supporters. Then the North WEst is the Yes stronghold? So on that it's probably too close to call?
  • Options

Which side is favourite on Betfair? I can't access the site at the moment.

NO in Italy is the favourite. It's at 1.46 - 1.47. YES is at 3.1 - 3.15.

When are we likely to get first "indicators". Lots of people taking about turnout but not sure who low or high turnout favours

Twitter reckons High Turnout favours NO. Not sure why, caveat emptor, etc

The polls have shown 10+% leads for No for a week or more. Everyone I know, including the Left wing DP supporters, are voting No.

Tomorrow Renzi will resign. By this time next week we'll have a new Italian government.

And almost nothing will have changed. This is not a referendum on pro-EU vs anti-EU, or anything like that. Is is a referendum on whether to reform the Italian houses of parliament to make them less liable to gridlock and to increase the role of the executive.

I think a fair number of Grillo supporters will vote Yes, and a lot of Renzi supporters No. I don't think any of us should read too much into this vote.

If NO wins it does, however, mean Italy is basically unreformable and thus makes Quitaly (copyright: BBC) from the euro much more likely in the medium term.

So the vote is not entirely trivial

I'm glad Quitaly is catching on - endless -exit spin-offs was getting irritating (Scexit, Frexit, Truxit etc).

It does seem like the Italian vote has been bunged in with the rest of the populist movement tests for the sake of a good story, when the actual vote has little to do with it - would be like attributing the AV referendum loss to a populist backlash.

Where the euro is concerned, Italy leaving is Fuxit surely?

Who said Italy was leaving ?

I believe Beppe Grillo said as much. When my family and I went to Tuscany, Umbria and Rome last July it was obvious that the population are angry and there seems to be a lot of poverty.

Several commented that they wished that Italy had the courage to leave the EU and expressed admiration for Brexit. As we were leaving the news bulletins showed the EU flag removed from the Genoa beaches and replaced with the Union Jack alongside their own. I think Beppe Grillo comes from the Genoa area
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,232
    surbiton said:

ydoethur said:

We're not allowed to use the only word appropriate for that on here as I understand it.

I shall therefore content myself with saying he is a stunt performed by the Greek god of sex.
    I would have used the word reserved for an issue of such sex.
    Perhaps my pun was a bit too subtle!

I'm afraid your suggestion is unfair to the aforementioned issue.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

twitter.com/TSEofPB/status/805500476695441408

That is just so out of order.
    Not allowed to say the truth out loud even though it's harsh?
    Of course everyone is allowed free speech but I can also say that the comments are so out of order (and tasteless)
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

GeoffM said:

Of course everyone is allowed free speech but I can also say that the comments are so out of order (and tasteless)
    Tasteless, oh yes, I certainly grant you. Extremely tasteless.
    But true. nevertheless.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    GeoffM said:

When Trotskyist activists threatened to rape female Tory activists, I condemned them.

When a politician suggests more rape and murder is needed for his ally's political career to flourish, and indeed says it in such a way that he appears to be hoping for it, I condemn that too. If his ally can only win on those terms, his political career is worthless anyway.

I am neither a woman, nor left-wing. There are some lines that should not be crossed on the grounds of ordinary human decency.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,997
    edited December 2016
    tlg86 said:

Having said that, NR's very good at two of their tasks: maintenance and renewal. Where they're failing massively is in the third, enhancements.

I'm not sure that's the case on South East Route (formally Kent and Sussex). Most of the focus is on the GTR industrial relations issue, but the network is creaking. The plan to run 24 trains per hour through the Thameslink core is, put it politely, optimistic.
    Yes, the London Bridge project's been a bit chaotic, to say the least. But in many ways that's an enhancement project, not a maintenance or renewals one.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Can someone report the Italian links ?
  • Options

Had a check. The pollsters in Italy assumed a turnout of 54-58%, i.e. they got that pretty much right.

...voting hasn't finished. 11pm.
    Doesn't the voting finish at 11.00pm Italy time, 10. 00 UK time
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    edited December 2016

tlg86 said:

Having said that, NR's very good at two of their tasks: maintenance and renewal. Where they're failing massively is in the third, enhancements.

I'm not sure that's the case on South East Route (formally Kent and Sussex). Most of the focus is on the GTR industrial relations issue, but the network is creaking. The plan to run 24 trains per hour through the Thameslink core is, put it politely, optimistic.
    Yes, the London Bridge project's been a bit chaotic, to say the least. But in many ways that's an enhancement project, not a maintenance or renewals one.
    I'm not talking about London Bridge. If that was completed tomorrow, the railway would still be a mess. The condition of the track is appalling and the number of TSRs on the Brighton Mainline has gone through the roof. They're planning to run a metro service through the core, with a wide variety of destinations. If the network isn't sorted out by 2018 it will be a disaster.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

GeoffM said:

When Trotskyist activists threatened to rape female Tory activists, I condemned them.

When a politician suggests more rape and murder is needed for his ally's political career to flourish, and indeed says it in such a way that he appears to be hoping for it, I condemn that too. If his ally can only win on those terms, his political career is worthless anyway.

I am neither a woman, nor left-wing. There are some lines that should not be crossed on the grounds of ordinary human decency.
    Not sure how the Trotskyist rape threats have appeared here as equivalent or even similar.

Banks didn't tweet what you seem to think he did. He is saying that more of what is inevitably coming will change peoples attitudes further down the line. And I agree that what has started - and will only accelerate - will change the face of politics and society over the next decade.

You can create false equivalences to smear the messenger if you wish but ultimately, even using phrasing you interpret a different way to me, he is right.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

Had a check. The pollsters in Italy assumed a turnout of 54-58%, i.e. they got that pretty much right.

That's correct.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

Not sure how the Trotskyist rape threats have appeared here as equivalent or even similar.

Banks didn't tweet what you seem to think he did. He is saying that more of what is inevitably coming will change peoples attitudes further down the line. And I agree that what has started - and will only accelerate - will change the face of politics and society over the next decade.

You can create false equivalences to smear the messenger if you wish but ultimately, even using phrasing you interpret a different way to me, he is right.

Well if you don't know that, I think you need to mull over what he's actually just said.

By the way, don't you mean 'far-right'?
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited December 2016
    surbiton said:

Dixie said:

Another quick map I made, this time by province, of the 7pm turnout in Italy. Red->Blue, High->Low

Highest Vicenza 67.86%
    Lowest Crotone 39.25%

great job
    So, YES is winning !
    Erm, I wouldn't say so no. The provinces with the highest turnout are in the Northeast, these are also the highest "No" provinces. South Italy is low, though some parts not as low as usual, but then there are fewer votes there. The problem is Central and Northwest may not be doing enough to help Renzi overcome the Northeast.
  • Options

Yes sorry i should have said 11pm their time.
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,203
    There really are some very unsavory people driving the nativist revolution..
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

GeoffM said:

Well if you don't know that, I think you need to mull over what he's actually just said.

By the way, don't you mean 'far-right'?
    No I don't mean that.
    We appear to have two different interpretations of the same text. I can't for the life of me read it your way and you don't see it the way I think it's intended.
    So let's not bore the rest of PB with something we're not going to agree on. Pax.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

GeoffM said:

Apart from that, Banks is saying the Austrian voters got it wrong. Jeez. The voters are never wrong. They were right about Brexit, they were right about Trump, they were right in Austria, they will be right whichever way they vote in Italy. They'll be right to vote May or Corbyn in the next election. The voters are always right. That's what democracy is all about.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    edited December 2016
    chestnut said:
    Pretty useless, even if they win the next election by a landslide the President will refuse to swear them in office.

It would become unworkable but until they actually win the Presidency they won't be allowed to form the government even if they have a majority in parliament.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,296
    edited December 2016
    I don't know much about betting but does the chart above show No gaining in likelihood
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870

You're right, but I don't see any evidence that TOCs (or TOC-led partnerships) will be better - quite the opposite.

Chiltern Railways is generally viewed as the model franchised TOC. It's owned by Deutsche Bahn, who are hardly under-resourced and have greater-than-average infrastructure expertise.

Despite this, DfT forcibly took control of the Evergreen 3 enhancements away from Chiltern in 2011 for severe underperformance, and gave them to Network Rail instead.

"Network Rail expressed concern about the quality of designs it had received from Chiltern Railways for approval. It told Chiltern that the designs were “increasing the workload of Network Rail engineers” and “creating significant amounts of rework and re-review that otherwise would not occur”."

(https://www.newcivilengineer.com/network-rail-gets-chiltern-work/8612322.article)

Now Grayling is trying to go back to this. They never learn.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

Jonathan said:

SeanT said:

rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

Dromedary said:

AndyJS said:

Another nice little win in Austria.

It would have been somewhat larger if I hadn't made the mistake of trusting Bob Smithson instead of my own judgement :wink:

And another Betfair prediction failure - someone must be losing a fortune on that site.

Surely they can't have got the Italian referendum wrong as well ?

When are we likely to get first "indicators". Lots of people taking about turnout but not sure who low or high turnout favours
    The polls have shown 10+% leads for No for a week or more. Everyone I know, including the Left wing DP supporters, are voting No.

Tomorrow Renzi will resign. By this time next week we'll have a new Italian government.

And almost nothing will have changed. This is not a referendum on pro-EU vs anti-EU, or anything like that. Is is a referendum on whether to reform the Italian houses of parliament to make them less liable to gridlock and to increase the role of the executive.

I think a fair number of Grillo supporters will vote Yes, and a lot of Renzi supporters No. I don't think any of us should read too much into this vote.
    If NO wins it does, however, mean Italy is basically unreformable and thus makes Quitaly (copyright: BBC) from the euro much more likely in the medium term.

I'm glad Quitaly is catching on - endless -exit spin-offs was getting irritating (Scexit, Frexit, Truxit etc).

It does seem like the Italian vote has been bunged in with the rest of the populist movement tests for the sake of a good story, when the actual vote has little to do with it - would be like attributing the AV referendum loss to a populist backlash.
    EU revoir is better than Frexit.
    I think I saw Fruck Off somewhere as an alternative too.
    Departugal was the one I liked. With Chezch Out pretty good.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

chestnut said:
    Pretty useless, even if they win the next election by a landslide the President will refuse to swear them in office.

It would become unworkable but until they actually win the Presidency they won't be allowed to form the government even if they have a majority in parliament.
    Strange democracy
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,987
    chestnut said:
    That's why I thought Hofer had won: the FPO has been gaining in the polls for months.
  • Options

Speedy said:

chestnut said:

Strange democracy
    Speedy is wrong on this one. If the FPO assembles a coalition, they will be leading the next government. The issue is that 35%, under the Austrian PR system, may not be enough.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

Looks like The Daily Mail is unhappy Hofer lost. I reckon had he have won, they would gone with the headliine 'Hurrah for Hofer'

https://twitter.com/b_judah/status/805472357779468288

No surprise really there. The Daily Mail always had a soft spot for Adolf Hitler.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    rcs1000 said:

chestnut said:
    That's why I thought Hofer had won: the FPO has been gaining in the polls for months.
    Looking at their last election, there appear to have been three separate parties all in the same broad eurosceptic/populist/hard right grouping. They seem to have consolidated into one.
  • Options
    Sky saying turnout over 60% with high turnout from the North. Renzi to address the Nation at 12 midnight local time, 11.00pm UK time
  • Options

It is good to see so many PBers happy in the victory of a greeny - red lefty. Now you've arrived, please stay.

You do have to wonder if Trump winning the Presidential election has had a sobering attitude in Europe and that the move to the far right may be checked
    I didn't see I a lot of left wing governments beating right wing ones in Europe in the 1980's as a reaction to Reagan in america.

In places where the economy was bad governments changed, as they always do.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    rcs1000 said:

Speedy said:

chestnut said:

Strange democracy
    Speedy is wrong on this one. If the FPO assembles a coalition, they will be leading the next government. The issue is that 35%, under the Austrian PR system, may not be enough.
    There are talks between the FPO the OVP and strangely the SPO.

However the new austrian president has vowed to refuse to swear them in, and he has the power (the only real power that he has) on paper by the constitution to do so.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

SeanT said:

rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

Dromedary said:

AndyJS said:

Another nice little win in Austria.

It would have been somewhat larger if I hadn't made the mistake of trusting Bob Smithson instead of my own judgement :wink:

And another Betfair prediction failure - someone must be losing a fortune on that site.

Surely they can't have got the Italian referendum wrong as well ?

EU revoir is better than Frexit.
    I think I saw Fruck Off somewhere as an alternative too.
    Departugal was the one I liked. With Chezch Out pretty good.
    Poles Apart
    Re-mania
  • Options

Sky saying turnout over 60% with high turnout from the North. Renzi to address the Nation at 12 midnight local time, 11.00pm UK time

If Renzi is to address the nation so early then he probably knows he lost.
  • Options
    PaulyPauly Posts: 897
    justin124 said:

Looks like The Daily Mail is unhappy Hofer lost. I reckon had he have won, they would gone with the headliine 'Hurrah for Hofer'

No surprise really there. The Daily Mail always had a soft spot for Adolf Hitler.
    Hofer is not a nazi. The fact he did so well is a triumph for people overcoming their disabilities. Hitler wouldn't have liked people to have the freedom to carry a glock to defend themselves in the way Hofer does himself.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Speedy said:

will he resign? I just heard on France 24 that the current Italian constitution was set up after fascism. In which case why give Renzi so much power, if it can happen once it can happen again.
  • Options
    Well if turnout does go well over 60% he probably has lost.
  • Options

He's *probably* lost anyway. The polls suggested he has lost, he was campaigning against the status quo, and there were diametrically opposite views both backing No.
  • Options

He's *probably* lost anyway. The polls suggested he has lost, he was campaigning against the status quo, and there were diametrically opposite views both backing No.
    I wouldn't base anything on the polls.

However if turnout is very high then it's probably an anti-Renzi wave.

The lessons of the last few years is that anecdotal evidence and turnout are more accurate than polls.
  • Options

It is good to see so many PBers happy in the victory of a greeny - red lefty. Now you've arrived, please stay.

You do have to wonder if Trump winning the Presidential election has had a sobering attitude in Europe and that the move to the far right may be checked
    Yes, I do wonder about this. Will be ineresting to see how it chnges votes in France.
  • Options
    Pauly said:

Hofer is not a nazi. The fact he did so well is a triumph for people overcoming their disabilities.

You mean just like that Goebbels lad?
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    nunu said:

Yes, I do wonder about this. Will be ineresting to see how it chnges votes in France.
    Well if exhibit A. was the primaries then it had zero effect in France, they voted for the most right wing candidate on offer.
  • Options
    OUTOUT Posts: 569
    Pauly said:

justin124 said:

Hofer is not a nazi. The fact he did so well is a triumph for people overcoming their disabilities. Hitler wouldn't have liked people to have the freedom to carry a glock to defend themselves in the way Hofer does himself.
    Almost a triumph of the will?
  • Options
    Speedy said:

nunu said:

Well if exhibit A. was the primaries then it had zero effect in France, they voted for the most right wing candidate on offer.
    Erm, Sarkozy was the most right wing candidate...
  • Options

Highest Vicenza 67.86%
    Lowest Crotone 39.25%

Does that map correspond to more affluent areas vs.Poorer areas ?
  • Options
    nunu said:

Highest Vicenza 67.86%
    Lowest Crotone 39.25%

Only half an hour to the exit poll
  • Options
    edited December 2016

Speedy said:

nunu said:

The differences of Sarkozy and Fillon is that Fillon is a bit more right wing on the economy, and that Fillon was not accused of corruption and of being an incompetent President.

Juppe is a liberal and an actual convict.

Not many real choices on offer.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Fair enough; I have no knowledge of the state of maintenance and renewals on that line outside the big projects.
  • Options

You're right, but I don't see any evidence that TOCs (or TOC-led partnerships) will be better - quite the opposite.

Chiltern Railways is generally viewed as the model franchised TOC. It's owned by Deutsche Bahn, who are hardly under-resourced and have greater-than-average infrastructure expertise.

Despite this, DfT forcibly took control of the Evergreen 3 enhancements away from Chiltern in 2011 for severe underperformance, and gave them to Network Rail instead.

"Network Rail expressed concern about the quality of designs it had received from Chiltern Railways for approval. It told Chiltern that the designs were “increasing the workload of Network Rail engineers” and “creating significant amounts of rework and re-review that otherwise would not occur”."

(https://www.newcivilengineer.com/network-rail-gets-chiltern-work/8612322.article)

I'm not defending these changes; I'm dubious about them. However I'll wait to see what's said when it's announced.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    nunu said:

Highest Vicenza 67.86%
    Lowest Crotone 39.25%

It mostly does.

I can't find a turnout map of the last election, since changes of turnout are the most significant, but overall the total turnout matches the last election.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Speedy said:

nunu said:

The differences of Sarkozy and Fillon is that Fillon is a bit more right wing on the economy, and that Fillon was not accused of corruption and of being an incompetent President.

Sarkozy used imperialistic language in the Primaries. In any case I don't know how much you can compare a Primary to the General but we shall see if it has an effect. My guess is it will depend on how many Islamist terror attacks from now till then.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    nunu said:

Highest Vicenza 67.86%
    Lowest Crotone 39.25%

In general yes; the Northeast is the most affluent, the Southwest least (both "No" areas as it happens but the Northeast is far more populous). The big exception there is Lazio which is wealthy and populous but turnout isn't great, this should be a more "Yes" area.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    edited December 2016
    nunu said:

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

nunu said:

Sarkozy used imperialistic language in the Primaries. In any case I don't know how much you can compare a Primary to the General but we shall see if it has an effect. My guess is it will depend on how many Islamist terror attacks from now till then.
    Sarkozy used the language of the far right.

In the end, Les Republicains and their allies chose a candidate bang in the middle of the party.

Not to be too morbid about it but terror attacks have not radically altered the polls.
  • Options

I'm not defending these changes; I'm dubious about them. However I'll wait to see what's said when it's announced.
    FInd out what Christian Wolmar thinks, and pick the opposite. Never known a pundit to be so consistently wrong on his specialist subject.
  • Options

nunu said:

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

nunu said:

In the end, Les Republicains and their allies chose a candidate bang in the middle of the party.

Not to be too morbid about it but terror attacks have not radically altered the polls.
    Actually they chose the only candidate out of the top 3 who wasn't a convicted fraudster or investigated for corruption.
  • Options

FInd out what Christian Wolmar thinks, and pick the opposite. Never known a pundit to be so consistently wrong on his specialist subject.
    Abolishing toilet papers seems to fit that category
  • Options
    Speedy said:

nunu said:

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

nunu said:

Actually they chose the only candidate out of the top 3 who wasn't a convicted fraudster or investigated for corruption.
    You're right, they allowed Fillon to go forward without the usual requirement for office. Either be corrupt, or keep a few mistresses at the taxpayer's expense.
  • Options
    edited December 2016

Speedy said:

nunu said:

Fillon is in many ways more socially and fiscally conservative compared to Sarkozy.
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,222
    Pauly said:

justin124 said:

Hover is not a Nazi. The Daily Mail's attacks on the Supreme Court and obvious disappointment at the failure of forces that they think are pretty close to Nazi speaks volumes about Paul Facre though. No idea why Rothermere still humours a guy who is burning his business and trashing his image so comprehensively.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Apparently the exit polls for the 2014 Euros put the PD on 34% vs the 41% it actually ended up with, so we probably shouldn't put too much trust on whatever numbers come out at 11pm...
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Speedy said:

Apparently the exit polls for the 2014 Euros put the PD on 34% vs the 41% it actually ended up with, so we probably shouldn't put too much trust on whatever numbers come out at 11pm...
    Due out in 10 minutes and Renzi to speak at 11.00 our time must indicate he knows the result either way
  • Options

Speedy said:

nunu said:

Fillon is in many ways more socially and fiscally conservative compared to Sarkozy.
    Sarkozy *tried* to speak the language of the far-right. He tried to win those votes.

The ony poll to put Fillon ahead in the first round, had the voters of the FN splitting 38 for Sarkozy 22 for Fillon.

Fillon is as close to the embodiment of the Gaullist right as was on offer.
  • Options

Hmmm. I must admit to quite liking Wolmar. I don't agree with him on many things (e.g. politics, Corbyn, or his dislike of HS2), but he's more knowledgeable than most journalists about railways.

However that's one thing that should be remembered: he's a journalist. He's not a railwayman, and he sometimes pretends to be one (or at least that's the way he comes across). His expertise is narrow - I much prefer Roger Ford (who was a railwayman, at least in a way). But in general Wolmar's enthusiasm is a positive for the railways in this country.
  • Options
    Someone repost the various Italy links.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

There is a post that NO has 72% from something called Smarkets, but it's from the Daily Express so beware:

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/739686/Italy-referendum-2016-polls-news-update-EU-Italians-vote
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Speedy said:

Pulpstar said:

There is a post that NO has 72% from something called Smarkets, but it's from the Daily Express so beware:

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/739686/Italy-referendum-2016-polls-news-update-EU-Italians-vote
    If No has got 72% I'll be damned.

EDIT: 72% will be the betting probability (Betfair is 73%).
  • Options
    edited December 2016

Speedy said:

nunu said:

Sarkozy *tried* to speak the language of the far-right. He tried to win those votes.

The ony poll to put Fillon ahead in the first round, had the voters of the FN splitting 38 for Sarkozy 22 for Fillon.

Fillon is as close to the embodiment of the Gaullist right as was on offer.
    Fillon has also warned about radical Islam etc. It's just Sarko made some more incendiary comments that got the lefties in a tizz (like the double portion of fries etc) that made him public enemy number one in their eyes.

As for the FN, that probably had someting to do with the fact he was their best chance for Le Pen to win...
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Pulpstar said:

Thats a betting exchange (Well thats debateable actually), implied probability not forecast.
  • Options
    Whats the poll.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    NO 55-59%; SI41-45%.

also anti il no con il 54-58%, sì al 42-46
  • Options
    EXIT POLL MID POINTS:

NO 56

YES 44
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,989
    edited December 2016
    "Nearly two thirds of the electorate had voted in some parts of prosperous northern Italy but the turnout was much lower in the south -- a pattern which was seen as a potential boost to the premier's survival hopes." An hour ago.

http://www.thelocal.it/20161204/renzis-future-on-the-line-as-italy-votes-on-his-fate

EDIT: So much for that!
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    Do the noes have it?
  • Options
    Now all we need are results.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,817
    What does NO mean?
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

"Nearly two thirds of the electorate had voted in some parts of prosperous northern Italy but the turnout was much lower in the south -- a pattern which was seen as a potential boost to the premier's survival hopes." An hour ago.

http://www.thelocal.it/20161204/renzis-future-on-the-line-as-italy-votes-on-his-fate

Thought that Northern Italy was mainly No
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

What does NO mean?

Renzi will resign, there will be no constitutional reform. If another election follows, Five Star could be the largest party.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

What does NO mean?

Renzi resigns
  • Options
  • Options
    I don't understand the hype around this referendum. If Renzi loses and quits over it, doesn't his party just pick a new guy and carry on governing?
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

What does NO mean?

Reform rejected, Renzi is probably gone.
  • Options

I don't understand the hype around this referendum. If Renzi loses and quits over it, doesn't his party just pick a new guy and carry on governing?

Betfair has a market on it.
  • Options

Barnesian said:

North Italy and South Italy vs Tuscany and Emilia-Romagna as always since 1945.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Barnesian said:

North Italy and South Italy vs Tuscany and Emilia-Romagna as always since 1945.
    Emilia-Romagna may well be "No" this time around based on the polling, which is why Renzi is ******.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

You can have as much on Yes at 21 as you want at the moment.

Might be a trading bet if the first results are not typical.
  • Options
    Renzi to speak in 50 minutes or so
  • Options
    edited December 2016

Pulpstar said:

Isn't that the blind leading the blind, unless you're up on Italian political geography?

I've taken my 35% return in two hours. OK so it was on £20 but still :P
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

The exit poll looks in line with both anecdote and polling though. I'm just going to sit on +44 No/-200 Yes.
  • Options
    Its a shame for Renzi, personally I think the reforms were well needed (I'm not a HOL fan) but alas 2016 seems to have got the better of him.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

What does NO mean?

Renzi will resign, there will be no constitutional reform. If another election follows, Five Star could be the largest party.
    System Addict!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsA7rdZelLc
  • Options
    Anyone know Italian ?

Sezioni pervenute Italia: 6 su 61.551
    Comunicazioni pervenute Estero: 0 su 1.618
  • Options
    The exit poll is much more emphatic on No than the opinion polls.
  • Options
    edited December 2016

Renzi was Germany's man in Italy, his replacement will not be the same.

We have to think of this as kind of an attempt to restore democracy in Italy, since they hadn't got a democratically elected PM since 2011, Renzi is not even an MP.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Anyone know Italian ?

Sezioni pervenute Italia: 6 su 61.551
    Comunicazioni pervenute Estero: 0 su 1.618

Sections received Italy: 6 out of 61,551
    Communications received by Foreign: 0 of 1618
    https://translate.google.co.uk/
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited December 2016
    I am still rather confused how this vote in Italy is being tied into as the bbc just put it "anti-establisment" senitment in the way the election in Austria was.

A "no" is a vote for the status quo is if anything pro establishment.
This discussion has been closed.