Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Tonight’s local and Westminster by-election preview

1235»

Comments

• Options

The circumstances of this by-election are sui generis. It tells you nothing ( on it's own ) about UK politics. That won't stop people framing it and some f those frames being sucessful. But in terms of the fundamentals ? The circumstances are bizarre. Sui Generis.

Is it though? If Zac got his wish and this is about Heathrow, then yes, it si sui generis, but if the Lib Dems have succeeded in making Brexit the main issue then Richmond Park could be the new normal politics.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

I'm confused. I know what the "verification stage" is for postal votes: you take the votes out of their envelopes and check that the numbers and signatures match those on the outside. But what in the name of Jesus H Trump is the "verification stage" for non-postal votes?

It's a genuine question.

Opening the ballot boxes, unfolding the ballot papers and counting them so the total number of papers matches the log of that polling station. ( To prevent box stuffing ) It's the glimpses observers get during this that they tally. You can only see a few percent of votes cast but it's statistically significant.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,582
    Pulpstar said:

Please don't tell me they are 'yet to arrive'...
    A crack team of Californian counters has been flown across to speed things along...
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193
    AndyJS said:

"Lib Dem source: “I think we’ve won.” #RichmondPark."

http://www.coombemonthly.co.uk/richmondpark-by-election-live-blog/

cf Nigel Farage: I think we've lost.

cf Trump "needs a miracle"

This is 2016. Everything is filed under "Who fucking knows?"
  • Options

viewcode said:

I'm confused. I know what the "verification stage" is for postal votes: you take the votes out of their envelopes and check that the numbers and signatures match those on the outside. But what in the name of Jesus H Trump is the "verification stage" for non-postal votes?

It's a genuine question.

Opening the ballot boxes, unfolding the ballot papers and counting them so the total number of papers matches the log of that polling station. ( To prevent box stuffing ) It's the glimpses observers get during this that they tally. You can only see a few percent of votes cast but it's statistically significant.
    Actually since the votes are put in piles face up, one at a time, you can actually see almost all the votes, if you have enough people watching. At one of my counts I looked at the tally sheets afterwards and reckoned we'd tallied over 75% of the total poll.
  • Options

The circumstances of this by-election are sui generis. It tells you nothing ( on it's own ) about UK politics. That won't stop people framing it and some f those frames being sucessful. But in terms of the fundamentals ? The circumstances are bizarre. Sui Generis.

Is it though? If Zac got his wish and this is about Heathrow, then yes, it si sui generis, but if the Lib Dems have succeeded in making Brexit the main issue then Richmond Park could be the new normal politics.
    How many Richmond Parks are there, even in terms of Brexit. Twickenham, next door, but how many others?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,034
    53.6%
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    https://twitter.com/faisalislam/status/804482581391609860

That's high for a by-election.

This may be an anti-Tory wave.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,095
    Pulpstar said:

53.6%

Boy, some of those earlier predictions were way off.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Turnout 53.6%.
  • Options
    Zac's about to hit 4 on Betfair now.

Extraordinary
  • Options
    Back on Zac...
  • Options

Extraordinary

Will the postals come in later or something ?
  • Options
    I've been out so am just catching up. After previously backing the LibDems and following DrFoxinsox in on his bet for Zac by a small majority, I'm inclined to let it ride.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Warwick figures

Con 488
    LDem 228
    Lab 194
  • Options
    DromedaryDromedary Posts: 1,194
    edited December 2016
    Israeli rabbis are clamping down on ultra-orthodox Jewish women who wear the burqa. They say it's a sexual fetish.

Meanwhile, Saudi wives in burqas have been a common site at the (BUPA) Cromwell Hospital in London for many years.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Faisal can't even get the turnout % right not sure why we're relying on him for dodgy info !
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Extraordinary

Not sure. I've lumped back onto Zac
  • Options
    If those are postal votes the LD have won.
    If those don't include even a single postal vote then Goldsmith won.

https://twitter.com/faisalislam/status/804481775078637570
  • Options
    edited December 2016

How many Richmond Parks are there, even in terms of Brexit. Twickenham, next door, but how many others?
    Depends on if they message on trying to stop Brexit or mitigate Brexit. There are more places sympathetic to the latter even if not so much as Richmond, assuming for sake of argument the LDs can do this. Never write off the bland, even in 2016.
  • Options
    It is official, I have a gambling addiction, I needed to be in bed an hour ago, but I can't stop myself betting on this sodding by election
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Extraordinary

They should be mixed in and counted along with the rest; you shouldn't be able to know which are the PVs during the count (unless someone eagle eyed notices which tables they mostly ended up on)
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,667
    SeanT said:

Speedy said:

There is a huge open goal for the LDs now. Become the official anti-Brexit party, north and south. Could split Labour wide open.
    That takes them to the middle of 2019. As a "let's rejoin the EU" party they won't break 10%.
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    Speedy said:

Is that legal - tweeting photos of the counted ballots before the official announcement?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Speedy said:

Faisal can't even get the turnout % right not sure why we're relying on him for dodgy info !
    He adds excitement I guess.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Speedy said:

There is a huge open goal for the LDs now. Become the official anti-Brexit party, north and south. Could split Labour wide open.
    It would be PM Farron and the end of the Tories instead.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

But that's just one team's boxes. Someone will be collecting them and recording them at a central table, and the usual arrangement is to have one member of staff collecting each candidate's papers, or the same member of staff going round collecting each candidate's bundles one at a time. So the piles left at the table don't tell you that much - it depends on how they are organising things
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Total votes = 41,367.

2015 figure was 59,101.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

pinkrose said:

FPT

SeanT said:

There might be more niqabs and burqas per capita in London - and England - than any non-Muslim country on earth. Even in countries with larger Muslim populations - e.g. France - you seldom see the niqab.

What is it about British Muslims that makes these horrible shrouds so popular among them? Is it a particular kind of migrant/community? Is it some perverse kind of British Muslim fashion?

Here are a few reasons:

Burqas and niqabs should not be banned in the UK, they are a part of an increasing number of Muslim women's idenity and religious worship. Any ban would increase tensions and would create a nightmare for police and authorities to enforce. These women will not suddenly take off their burqas and go around uncovered, instead they will retreat into the home and not work or be in education. Also, Women do not endless debate what men should wear or campaign to ban men from wearing this or that particular clothing.
    Then what we must do is make life pretty much unliveable for people like this - like you? - in the UK. Ban halal food, abolish all shariah courts, close down ANY Salafist or Wahhabi mosques, deport all extremist or anti-Semitic imams, make it difficult for Muslims to pray at odd hours, etc.

There is no alternative. Fundamentalist Islam - i.e.the kind of Islam that tolerates or desires the burqa - has absolutely no future in Europe.

In the end people will vote for white Fascist parties if the alternative is conservative Islam like this, determining our morality and our polity. We can see that already. France will lead the fight.

Vive Charles Martel. Vive La France. Vive Fillon.

"Know ye that it is the will of Allah (SWT) that we are all born stark, raving naked!"
    - Grand Ayatollah Nudistani.
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    Boom, Zac's gone over 4 now
  • Options
    edited December 2016

Speedy said:

Is that legal - tweeting photos of the counted ballots before the official announcement?
    None of his tweets have been legal. When I first started going to counts you had to attend a JP a few days before to swear an oath of secrecy, and if you broke it you really did end up in jail. But the advent of mobile devices means people have pretty much given up on all that nowadays, although some counts do try and stop their use.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

Speedy said:

That takes them to the middle of 2019. As a "let's rejoin the EU" party they won't break 10%.
    If the LD win tonight I will go on record that the LD will win the next GE or at least that the Tories will lose their majority.
  • Options
    The Lib Dem numbers look accurate.

!!!
  • Options
    Speedy said:

MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

Speedy said:

If the LD win tonight I will go on record that the LD will win the next GE or at least that the Tories will lose their majority.
    I do enjoy your calm, hyperbole free analysis on politics.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Pulpstar said:

Speedy said:

He adds excitement I guess.
    Comedic value more like!
  • Options
    In Witney the Tory vote dropped from 35,201 to 17,313, a retention rate of 49.18%. The same retention in Richmond Park would see the Tories go from 34,404 to 16,920.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

Speedy said:

From 8 MPs to >300?
  • Options
    If the LDs do win, surely Corbyn will be able to get a good taunt in at next PMQs. Lisa g to the LDs is just embarrassing (we'll ignore labour barely place here end technically the Tories aren't standing)
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

In Witney the Tory vote dropped from 35,201 to 17,313, a retention rate of 49.18%. The same retention in Richmond Park would see the Tories go from 34,404 to 16,920.

40.9%, clearly not enough if that is the case.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    AndyJS said:

Zac is an independent. He will lose some Tory tribalists for that alone.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Extraordinary

Nope, they're already in the mix
  • Options

Speedy said:

MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

Speedy said:

I do enjoy your calm, hyperbole free analysis on politics.
    Well when was the last time the LD enjoyed such huge swings from the Tories in Local and Westminster by-elections ?
    And didn't result in the Tories losing seats in the next GE ?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Pulpstar said:

Extraordinary

Gained some UKIP tribalists though?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Speedy said:

MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

Speedy said:

From 8 MPs to >300?
    "Go back to your constituencies and prepare for Brexit!"
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    AndyJS said:

Although in this election the incumbent is standing so i'm not sure it will necessarily follow Witney.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

Pulpstar said:

Extraordinary

Gained some UKIP tribalists though?
    There aren't many of those in richmond.
  • Options
    Whoops, Zac suddenly 2.88 now.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    edited December 2016
    MaxPB said:

Speedy said:

MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

Speedy said:

From 8 MPs to >300?
    last May I did put a fiver each at 500/1 on LD most seats and kippers most seats.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,322
    Am I missing something - in the picture tweeted the Zac pile looks higher to me.

Of course it's only one pile.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,289
    Speedy said:
    The Goldsmith pile is a lot springier. They just showed someone lifting some from it and a lot of the height is air.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Am I missing something - in the picture tweeted the Zac pile looks higher to me.

It does look higher, but that still means closer than many thought it would be, and thus the LDs have a shot.
  • Options
    Can they just start bloody counting?
  • Options
    DromedaryDromedary Posts: 1,194
    edited December 2016
    Zac is coming in now. He'll win! :smile:
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    IanB2 said:

Speedy said:

But that's just one team's boxes. Someone will be collecting them and recording them at a central table, and the usual arrangement is to have one member of staff collecting each candidate's papers, or the same member of staff going round collecting each candidate's bundles one at a time. So the piles left at the table don't tell you that much - it depends on how they are organising things
    Jammu and Kashmir party?
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,087
    SeanT said:

1989 was probably more exciting, and certainly much more important, but I specifically said "within the realm of democratic politics we have had the most excitement possible" - ie. within electoral politics here in the west.

Things could definitely get more exciting, however one chooses to define that in electoral politics, in Western European politics.

MLP's inevitable victory in France could lead to the final rupture of Belgium as Wallonie will finally have French president who's willing to take them and their dole payments on.

This could embolden seccessionist movements all over Europe. Catalonia, Scotland, Corsica, Neutral Moresnet.

Corbyn could become UK PM. Anyone who now says this is 'impossible' is talking out of their arse. He just needs a sufficiently bad Brexit which May and the three frigging idiots look to be well on their way to delivering.

5SM takes power in Italy leading to Quitaly.

Post Trump, LePen and Corbyn NATO will be finished and the dominant European security structure will be a France-Russia power axis.
  • Options
    Speedy said:
    That still looks like one team's finished piles; although they are supposed to mix things up a little, that will still probably be from one set of boxes, not necessarily representative of the whole constituency.

But it's a good picture for a journalist
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,167
    If it's this close it could go either way: it's a coin toss. So whichever candidate has the "larger" odds (100/1 = high, 1/100 = low) is value.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    kle4 said:

MikeL said:

It does look higher, but that still means closer than many thought it would be, and thus the LDs have a shot.
    But presumably there are lots of different tables - that's only one table.

The whole constituency can't be on one table surely?
  • Options
    NEW THREAD!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    MikeL said:

kle4 said:

MikeL said:

Exactly, as I said below. Think of a pack of A4 paper - a couple of inches thick and 500 sheets. That's only a fraction of the total
  • Options
    MikeL said:

kle4 said:

MikeL said:

Certainly not, him being up on that table means they have hope depending on the others.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,012
    edited December 2016
    MikeL said:

I think the pictures of that one pile is influencing the betting but we don't know what ward it is.
  • Options
    pinkrosepinkrose Posts: 189
    edited December 2016
This discussion has been closed.