Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Tonight’s local and Westminster by-election preview

Comments

• Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    I am actually feeling optimistic for the first time ever* that an outcome I want to happen, may actually happen. Lib Dems winning here?

*not an exaggeration - 2010 was the first election I really cared about (at 15 in 2005 I didn't really care). 2010 the LD's failed expectations, 2015 even more so, then Brexit, then Trump. I'll take any crumbs I can get at this point!
  • Options
    DixieDixie Posts: 1,221
    FF43 said:

Dixie said:

Southbourne is a Lib Dem gain. F*ck

UKIP didn't stand last time. The Conservatives have lost over half their vote share, with a big chunk going to the Lib Dems and another big chunk to UKIP. It must be an extreme example of the Brexitisation of politics that Mike referred to earlier today.
    more entertaining.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,848
    If the Lib Dems do win, it will be the third time for the insurgents, after Brexit and Trump.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,034
    Are there any journalists except Faisal there ?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,582
    tim80 said:

The reported comment from Faisal below has him saying all sample tallies he's seen show Olney slightly ahead.

Anyone who's been to a count will know that doesn't ring true, or he's not looked at many sample sheets.

Different tally sheets are done for each ward, and sometimes in practice they are attached to votes from a specific ballot box. It is implausible that across the constituency they'd all be showing Olney slightly ahead, even though she may be slightly ahead overall.

Probably the old journalist thing of two people have separately told him the same thing, so he assumes it's true
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    edited December 2016
    Speedy said:

AndyJS said:

They haven't actually started counting any votes yet, as opposed to verifying them.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/blog/live/2016/dec/01/richmond-park-byelection-results-counting-starts-live

Then what the heck is Faisal Islam talking about.
    But the Verification stage is when the party samplers are really able to do their work by getting a clear idea as to how particular boxes have voted. After that the votes are mixed up as it were!
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,290
    In affectionate remembrance of English Brexit, which died today in Richmond. Deeply lamented by a large circle of sorrowing friends and acquaintances.

NB - Brexit will be cremated and the ashes taken to Trump Tower.
  • Options
    A reverse crossover isn't impossible; the gap is narrowing again
  • Options
    I will be keeping prices up for the next hour if anyone wants a bet with us, spin
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,095
    justin124 said:

Speedy said:

AndyJS said:

They haven't actually started counting any votes yet, as opposed to verifying them.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/blog/live/2016/dec/01/richmond-park-byelection-results-counting-starts-live

But the Verification stage is when the party samplers are really able to do their work by getting a clear idea as to how particular boxes have voted. After that the votes are mixed up as it were!
    Isn't verificationsupposed to be with the papers face down so people cannot get an idea?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193
    Speedy said:

AndyJS said:

A question regularly asked....
  • Options
    Hmm All I've done so far is given up £20 on Zac and £10 on the yellows.

Trading this like a mugeroo tonight !
  • Options
    kle4 said:

justin124 said:

Speedy said:

AndyJS said:

Isn't verificationsupposed to be with the papers face down so people cannot get an idea?
    No, that is only for postal votes.

At a count the verification must be done face up, to keep the serial numbers on the back of the ballot papers hidden.
  • Options

In affectionate remembrance of English Brexit, which died today in Richmond. Deeply lamented by a large circle of sorrowing friends and acquaintances.

Brexit didn't die when it lost a referendum and was mocked for decades, it won't die even if this is not counting chickens before they hatch.
  • Options
    what are the betting odds on Sarah Olney next LD leader? Presumptuous yes, but if she does win she will be the sole female MP, and that will play well in any future leadership contests in a party that has never elected a female leader or even an ethnic minority MP (i.e. they are failing on the identity politics front - and LDs tend to go in for that generally).
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MTimT said:

If he loses, can't say that I have one ounce of sympathy for Zac.

Indeed; the man's an idiot.
    It would be disappointing if a politician were to be punished by the voters for following through on a pledge.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,322
    Betfair still gives Zac a 40% chance.

Is it possible the postal votes haven't been "seen" yet?
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,012
    kle4 said:

justin124 said:

Speedy said:

AndyJS said:

It used to be face up when I was doing counts at the verification stage.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Barnesian said:

AndyJS said:

Barnesian said:

I think it is over. LibDem win.

Based on...?
    Betfair. Someone knows something from the verification stage. There was a point just now when no one was laying the LibDem and someone else wanted 900/1 to bet on Zac. It's stabilised a bit now but there is information out there. There will be moles tweeting from inside the count. No wonder Ladbrokes and William Hill have closed their books.
    If you know an area and its boxes, it is usually possible to know how things are going early in a verification - and the LibDems will have a lot of local experience to draw on (as will any Tories that Zac has been good enough to invite, their not being entitled to any counting agents of their own).

But it is strictly illegal to communicate the information outside the hall..in pre-mobile phone days you'd end up in jail; some counts try to prevent people taking phones in, or insist that they are turned off, but controlling it is pretty much impossible nowadays
    The media can - and have been - excluded from counts. It is at the Returning Officer's discretion.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

I kinda want the Libs to win tonight. I have no sympathy for trillionaire anti-Heathrow loser Zac G. And it would be great if the Remainian LDs could, somehow, replace the shower of shite that is Corbyn's Labour.

We are a democracy. The 48% - nearly half the damn country - need representation. Labour, right now, do not do that, at all.

I agree with SeanT. The end of the world is neigh. Pigs are flying.
  • Options
    Rumors in Paris tonight converge towrds a Friday morning Valls government resignation.
    The next government would be announced as soon as Friday afternoon, with only minimal change. Cazeneuve would become PM and he would have to be replaced as Interior minister.
    To manage police and security issues during the campaign, they would certainly choose a very loyal Hollandist (maybe Andre Vallini).

• Options
    MikeL said:

Clueless punters like myself guessing I think.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,237

what are the betting odds on Sarah Olney next LD leader? Presumptuous yes, but if she does win she will be the sole female MP, and that will play well in any future leadership contests in a party that has never elected a female leader or even an ethnic minority MP (i.e. they are failing on the identity politics front - and LDs tend to go in for that generally).

Although the Liberals did manage the first ever asian MP.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

MTimT said:

It would be disappointing if a politician were to be punished by the voters for following through on a pledge.
    Politicians get punished unfairly all the time. It's one reason pccs are such a stupid idea, since general party standing performance will trump any merit, or not, of a PCC candidate.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

IanB2 said:

Barnesian said:

AndyJS said:

Barnesian said:

Based on...?
    Betfair. Someone knows something from the verification stage. There was a point just now when no one was laying the LibDem and someone else wanted 900/1 to bet on Zac. It's stabilised a bit now but there is information out there. There will be moles tweeting from inside the count. No wonder Ladbrokes and William Hill have closed their books.
    If you know an area and its boxes, it is usually possible to know how things are going early in a verification - and the LibDems will have a lot of local experience to draw on (as will any Tories that Zac has been good enough to invite, their not being entitled to any counting agents of their own).

But it is strictly illegal to communicate the information outside the hall..in pre-mobile phone days you'd end up in jail; some counts try to prevent people taking phones in, or insist that they are turned off, but controlling it is pretty much impossible nowadays
    The media can - and have been - excluded from counts. It is at the Returning Officer's discretion.
    The normal general election approach is to put them somewhere separate but with a view over the count, and people sidle up and tell them things. It is unusual IME for them to be allowed to wander about next to the counting agents, but I guess it can happen - discretion as you say
  • Options
    Just a thought

Did the postals show up later on in Oldham West ?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,290

Rumors in Paris tonight converge towrds a Friday morning Valls government resignation.
    The next government would be announced as soon as Friday afternoon, with only minimal change. Cazeneuve would become PM and he would have to be replaced as Interior minister.
    To manage police and security issues during the campaign, they would certainly choose a very loyal Hollandist (maybe Andre Vallini).

Does that imply Valls doesn't have Hollande's support for his Presidential run? In which case who will be the stop Valls candidate? Segolene?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,712
    edited December 2016

Err, Parmjit Singh Gill says hello.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    SeanT said:

lol. We're in RICHMOND. Possibly the most Remainery (and beautiful) urban constituency in the UK.
    There are actually a surprisingly high number of Remainy Tory seats throughout the southern Home Counties. The Remain message of "don't ruin the economy" did actually do the trick with a big section of the wealthy middle-aged Tory vote.
  • Options
    If Labour lose deposit we can say: Christian Wolmar, "Labour's loo roll hater's hopes down the toilet after looking good on paper!"
  • Options
    SeanT said:

I kinda want the Libs to win tonight. I have no sympathy for trillionaire anti-Heathrow loser Zac G. And it would be great if the Remainian LDs could, somehow, replace the shower of shite that is Corbyn's Labour.

We are a democracy. The 48% - nearly half the damn country - need representation. Labour, right now, do not do that, at all.

The LDs really just need to focus on EEA/Soft Brexit/Single Market - that's what the 48% really want. It's a small minority that really want to block Brexit completely. Sarah Olney has argued along those lines to her credit.

I literally have no idea what Labour's policy actually is on Brexit. Does anyone? What a complete shitshow.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

MTimT said:

Politicians get punished unfairly all the time. It's one reason pccs are such a stupid idea, since general party standing performance will trump any merit, or not, of a PCC candidate.
    and it probably wasn't that bright to have admitted that it was a silly pledge and if he had his time again he wouldn't have made it
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

MikeL said:

Well done the clueless for sparking interest at least.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,949
    edited December 2016
    SeanT said:

I would probably vote Lib-Dem if I was in Rihmond just to stick it to Zac...

On the other hand though, wouldn't it be great if Faisal is was making an idiot of himself again...
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

MikeL said:

They are usually counted before so you may be right.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    JonathanD said:

MTimT said:

But is it a rejection of Zac or a rejection of the EU obsessed Tories?
    It really doesn't matter the reason for his rejection. That there was a possibility of a rejection was down to his own vanity.
  • Options

SeanT said:

The LDs really just need to focus on EEA/Soft Brexit/Single Market - that's what the 48% really want. It's a small minority that really want to block Brexit completely. Sarah Olney has argued along those lines to her credit.

I literally have no idea what Labour's policy actually is on Brexit. Does anyone? What a complete shitshow.
    Labour's policy on brexit is the same as policy on austerity, trident and heathrow
  • Options
    See it is night likes tonight where a typo from me on here or twitter could cause anarchy on Betfair.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    I really don't give a damn about the Lib Dems one way or another, but it would be great to see racist Goldsmith get booted.
  • Options
    I was ahead once in Verification by 1% and lost by 2%. All to play for,
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Olney has also only been the party 18 months. I wouldn't vote for her as leader, not yet anyway. 9.2 on Betfair though.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    SeanT said:

lol. We're in RICHMOND. Possibly the most Remainery (and beautiful) urban constituency in the UK.
    Don't kid yourself SeanT, Brexit will be dead.
  • Options
    There will be a lull in information now while the real counting and sorting takes place.
    Then the piles will start to form for Zac and Sarah. People will be mentally measuring them. More info will start to flow with another movement on Betfair.

I don't know how or when the postal votes are counted. Does anyone know?

• Options

Ah, oh dear - ok accusation withdrawn!

I think the point still stands though. She would stand out amongst the field
  • Options
    Is it me or are more votes going to the Zac pile just over Faisal's shoulder ?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,027

See it is night likes tonight where a typo from me on here or twitter could cause anarchy on Betfair.

Nothing is going to beat OGH wiping millions of the global stock markets with his erroneous tweet ;)
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642

SeanT said:

A victory in Richmond will embolden the Lib Dems in their attempt to block Brexit. They will argue that the people of Richmond have rejected Brexit so therefore the rest of the UK has as well.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Pulpstar said:

Is it live on Sky?
    Is there a feed somewhere?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Nothing is going to beat OGH wiping millions of the global stock markets with his erroneous tweet ;)
    I was told by someone, apart from the early hours of June 24th, Mike was responsible for the second largest rise and fall in Sterling in 2016.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,333
    edited December 2016
    I cant imagine zacs failed recent London mayoral election can be helping, not only the negative tone of it but also how much of an out of touch wally he sounded in lots of interviews.
  • Options

Does that imply Valls doesn't have Hollande's support for his Presidential run? In which case who will be the stop Valls candidate? Segolene?
    Not really. It really means that Valls could campaign without being criticized of using his office as PM or not giving 100% of his time to managing the country.
    Hollande will probably stay as much as possible out of it. he did not mention Valls or any of his Ministers during his speech tonight.
    Apparently he said to Valls earlier this week that him not running would make Valls the logical candidate.

As I explained earlier today, the Hollande branch of the party may not be enthusiastic about Valls anyway and will probably try to find a Hollande proxy. Najat Vallaud Belkacem is the most likely (and has zero chance to win).

Segolene said a month ago that she had already refused several calls to run from former supporters.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

There will be a lull in information now while the real counting and sorting takes place.
    Then the piles will start to form for Zac and Sarah. People will be mentally measuring them. More info will start to flow with another movement on Betfair.

I don't know how or when the postal votes are counted. Does anyone know?

After the verification the postals are mixed in and then the votes all counted together.

Assessing the piles in the centre of the hall from a distance is the hardest thing to do, IME. Its much easier to work out how things are going at the verification, except you don't have the PVs. If you are really organised you can watch and tally as each bundle of 50 is banded up and taken off, but that requires a level of alertness that people aren't usually capable of, most of the counting agents will have been working since dawn
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

SeanT said:

A victory in Richmond will embolden the Lib Dems in their attempt to block Brexit. They will argue that the people of Richmond have rejected Brexit so therefore the rest of the UK has as well.
    This would be 72% Remain voting Richmond?
  • Options
    Zac back over 3 again
  • Options
    The circumstances of this by-election are sui generis. It tells you nothing ( on it's own ) about UK politics. That won't stop people framing it and some f those frames being sucessful. But in terms of the fundamentals ? The circumstances are bizarre. Sui Generis.
  • Options

RobD said:

I was told by someone, apart from the early hours of June 24th, Mike was responsible for the second largest rise and fall in Sterling in 2016.
    When did that happen, I can't remember it.
  • Options

Olney has also only been the party 18 months. I wouldn't vote for her as leader, not yet anyway. 9.2 on Betfair though.
    It will take about eight years or more before there is a vacancy. She'll be ready then.
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

SeanT said:

Were it to happen, I think they'd be wiser to be more circumspect. Look for opportunities to block, but focus on those pushing for soft, and if that looks like being rejected, press the blocking attempts more. Time, of corse, is agai st such a strategy, but I think they'd struggle with an open blocking agenda. That might be the agenda now, but no one would notice.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MP_SE said:

SeanT said:

This would be 72% Remain voting Richmond?
    A minor detail to intellectual heavyweights such as Farron and Brake.
  • Options

Zac back over 3 again

He's at just 3%.
  • Options
    If the woman in the brown coat could move away I'd be grateful lol
  • Options
    A source from the Zac Goldsmith campaign has been speaking to reporters. “It is certainly looking very tight,” he said. He also thinks the turnout is around 50%.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    I'm done with trading this BE.

Hit my self imposed exposure limit

-£500 LD
    +£1k Zac

Good luck punters.

Hope the LD's win!
  • Options

The circumstances of this by-election are sui generis. It tells you nothing ( on it's own ) about UK politics. That won't stop people framing it and some f those frames being sucessful. But in terms of the fundamentals ? The circumstances are bizarre. Sui Generis.

Do by-elections commonly say anything about national politics? Peop,e pretend comfortable holds in safe seats are remarkable in these things.
  • Options
    Although this is all very exciting, some of us need our beauty sleep.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Zac back over 3 again

He's at just 3%.
    No, he's a circa 32% according to Betfair
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

It will take about eight years or more before there is a vacancy. She'll be ready then.
    8 years is a long time in politics.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,848
    Counterfactual time. What would have happened if the Conservatives had put up a candidate against Zac and the Lib Dems?
  • Options

A source from the Zac Goldsmith campaign has been speaking to reporters. “It is certainly looking very tight,” he said. He also thinks the turnout is around 50%.

That is on the low side. 75% turnout at the general election. I would expect 55-60% tonight.
  • Options
    The election doesn't seem to be troubling Mr Neil and friends muchly
  • Options

But since 2015 both taxi-fulls of LD MPs are white and male!
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,712
    edited December 2016
    FF43 said:

Counterfactual time. What would have happened if the Conservatives had put up a candidate against Zac and the Lib Dems?

Lib Dems win
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Easy Lib Dem win.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

justin124 said:

IanB2 said:

Barnesian said:

AndyJS said:

Barnesian said:

Based on...?

The normal general election approach is to put them somewhere separate but with a view over the count, and people sidle up and tell them things. It is unusual IME for them to be allowed to wander about next to the counting agents, but I guess it can happen - discretion as you say
    If Faisal Islam has broken the law it would be good to see him prosecuted!
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Do by-elections commonly say anything about national politics? Peop,e pretend comfortable holds in safe seats are remarkable in these things.
    Not always. But being in a Lab/Con marginal that 52 to 48 to Leave would be a start.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Pulpstar said:

If you're referring to this picture then I agree:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CyoVXApWgAA1vUY.jpg
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Speedy said:

SeanT said:

Don't kid yourself SeanT, Brexit will be dead.
    Can't we wait to see the result from Sleaford first?
  • Options

But after a mediocre LD showing in 2020, perhaps just 5 or 6 gains (which is an optimistic estimate based on current polls), Farron would probably step down, and she would have been a member and MP for several years at that point.

If it's a snap election then I think it would probably be Norman Lamb assuming he holds on (and that Farron does badly).
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Paddy would eat an entire hat factory!!
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    "Lib Dem source: “I think we’ve won.” #RichmondPark."

http://www.coombemonthly.co.uk/richmondpark-by-election-live-blog/
  • Options
    pinkrosepinkrose Posts: 189
    FPT
    SeanT said:

There might be more niqabs and burqas per capita in London - and England - than any non-Muslim country on earth. Even in countries with larger Muslim populations - e.g. France - you seldom see the niqab.

What is it about British Muslims that makes these horrible shrouds so popular among them? Is it a particular kind of migrant/community? Is it some perverse kind of British Muslim fashion?

Here are a few reasons:

1. O Prophet! Tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to draw their cloaks (veils) all over their bodies (i.e. screen themselves completely except the eyes or one eye to see the way). That will be better, that they should be known (as free respectable women) so as not to be annoyed. And Allah is Ever Oft Forgiving, Most Merciful. (Al-Ahzab 33:59)

2. It's a form of Ibadah (worship), a way of feeling closer to Allah. Muslims believe that this Dunya (this life on earth) is for worshipping Allah. Dunya is just a test for what really matters: the Akhira (next life). Everything a person does will have consequences in the Akhira.

3. The rise of Salafism. Salafi's say we need to go back to basic principles and live as the Prophet and his Companions lived. The Prophet's wives were completely covered. Salafi's say that Hadiths indicate women should live in seclusion apart from in front of other women or maharams (husbands, brothers, fathers, father-in-laws), a burqa or abaya with niqab allows for the woman to be in seclusion but still live, work and be present in society.

Burqas and niqabs should not be banned in the UK, they are a part of an increasing number of Muslim women's idenity and religious worship. Any ban would increase tensions and would create a nightmare for police and authorities to enforce. These women will not suddenly take off their burqas and go around uncovered, instead they will retreat into the home and not work or be in education. Also, Women do not endless debate what men should wear or campaign to ban men from wearing this or that particular clothing.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,167
    I'm confused. I know what the "verification stage" is for postal votes: you take the votes out of their envelopes and check that the numbers and signatures match those on the outside. But what in the name of Jesus H Trump is the "verification stage" for non-postal votes?

It's a genuine question.
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038

SeanT said:

I think the 48% "really want" to remain in the EU - that's what we voted for - and almost all of us will be relieved if for whatever reason Brexit doesn't happen. But no, most of us aren't actively trying to block it, and if our relationship with the EU is the same after Brexit we won't be happy exactly but we'll be reasonably content with that.
  • Options

Not really. It really means that Valls could campaign without being criticized of using his office as PM or not giving 100% of his time to managing the country.
    Hollande will probably stay as much as possible out of it. he did not mention Valls or any of his Ministers during his speech tonight.
    Apparently he said to Valls earlier this week that him not running would make Valls the logical candidate.

As I explained earlier today, the Hollande branch of the party may not be enthusiastic about Valls anyway and will probably try to find a Hollande proxy. Najat Vallaud Belkacem is the most likely (and has zero chance to win).

Segolene said a month ago that she had already refused several calls to run from former supporters.
    Who would you say is the most likely winner of the Socialist primaries?
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Pulpstar said:

If you're referring to this picture then I agree:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CyoVXApWgAA1vUY.jpg
    Depends when each candidate's piles were last collected in to the centre.
  • Options

But after a mediocre LD showing in 2020, perhaps just 5 or 6 gains (which is an optimistic estimate based on current polls), Farron would probably step down, and she would have been a member and MP for several years at that point.

If it's a snap election then I think it would probably be Norman Lamb assuming he holds on (and that Farron does badly).
    Clegg comeback is quite possible. Several at my party meeting were seriously discussing it last time.
  • Options
    Switched my betting about, not the greatest trading but I think the Lib Dems have done it.

Lib Dem Zac < 2500 Zac 2500+
    60.915 31.3625 33.87125
  • Options
    viewcode said:

I'm confused. I know what the "verification stage" is for postal votes: you take the votes out of their envelopes and check that the numbers and signatures match those on the outside. But what in the name of Jesus H Trump is the "verification stage" for non-postal votes?

It's a genuine question.

I thought it was just making sure the tally of votes matched what the polling stations reported.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

It's a genuine question.

the object of verification of a polling station box is to tally the number of votes in the box with the number the presiding officer recorded as issued during the day. If you have a shortfall it is serious and if you have an excess it is very serious.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Tower Hamlets Independent Gain from Tower Hamlets First

Ind 1147
    Lab 823
    Con 217
    LDem 173
    Green 170
    UKIP 34
  • Options
    viewcode said:

It's a genuine question.

http://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0006/175389/UKPE-Part-E-Verifying-and-counting-the-votes.pdf
  • Options
    Please don't tell me they are 'yet to arrive'...
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,167

viewcode said:

It's a genuine question.

http://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0006/175389/UKPE-Part-E-Verifying-and-counting-the-votes.pdf
    Ten thousand thanks and my blessings on your house
  • Options
  • Options
    I think the Lib Dems have won the vote on the day, but not by a sufficient amount to overturn Zac's lead on the postals
  • Options
    viewcode said:

It's a genuine question.

It's when all the votes from each ballot box are counted and compared to the number issued at that polling station. They should match up of course. This doesn't involve sorting the votes into each candidate, but those observing can often get a rough idea of how many votes each candidate has got in that area and compare it to what they expected.
This discussion has been closed.