Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Tonight’s local and Westminster by-election preview

SystemSystem Posts: 11,687
edited December 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Tonight’s local and Westminster by-election preview

Richmond Park (Ind defence, elected as Conservative) to Westminster Parliament Result of Parliament at last election (2015): Conservatives 331, Labour 232, Scottish National Party 56, Northern Ireland Parties 18, Liberal Democrats 8, Plaid Cymru 3, Green Party 1, United Kingdom Independence Party 1 (Conservative majority of 12) Result of constituency at last election (2015): Conservative 34,404 (58%), Liberal Democrat 11,389 (19%), Labour 7,296 (12%), Green Party 3,548 (6%), United Kingdom Independence Party 2,464 (4%) EU Referendum Result (Borough): REMAIN 75,396 (69%) LEAVE 33,410 (31%) on a turnout of 82% Estimated Vote in constituency: REMAIN 72%, LEAVE 28% Candidates duly nominated: Zac Goldsmith (Ind), Alan Hope (Loony), Ankit Love (One Love), Sarah Olney (Lib Dem), David Powell (Non Party Independent), Dominic Stockford (Christian People’s Alliance), Fiona Syms (Independent Conservative), Christian Wolmar (Lab)

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Primus inter pares
  • Options
    2nd like spurs
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,035
    As ever, thanks Harry.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    113, like my IQ on a 15 SD.
  • Options
    Vs Swansea.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/MSmithsonPB/status/804432728628162560

I assume OGH lumped on the popular vote ?
  • Options
    Somebody give us meaningless knocking up anecdata from Richmond Park.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    Many thanks, Harry. Much appreciated.
  • Options

Zac seen ashen faced emerging from the Dog & Duck.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Some interesting locals too.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Nah. His ECV spread betting, when he bought Hillary and closed out at 12 times his stake.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Nah. His ECV spread betting, when he bought Hillary and closed out at 12 times his stake.
    The man who sold out at the right time !
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    FPT
    MikeL said:

Not sure if already posted but seems an extraordinary statistic:

In Scotland, 27% of Labour voters at GE 2015 now support the Conservatives.

http://blog.whatscotlandthinks.org/2016/11/yougov-mark-st-andrews-day/

Yougov's leader approval ratings in Scotland have subtly changed in the last 18 months. They don't bother with the Lib Dems any more.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Anybody from PB at the count?
  • Options

The red deer are pregnant???
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Zac seen ashen faced emerging from the Dog & Duck.
    He's always ashen faced. When he grins crusts of soot fall from his eyebrows. ;)
  • Options
    MikeK said:

Isn't it your constituency :D ?
  • Options
    The iPlayer schedule makes no sense but *suggests* This Week starts at 11.45 on BBC 1 then transmutes into a By-election Special running on BBC World News running till 0300. Or maybe the guide is just unclear.
  • Options
    Has anyone polled the black minority ethnic voter in Richmond yet ?
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    FPT

SeanT said:

David Davis at the CBI hinting at a flaccid Brexit

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesTimes/status/804430163052204032

As I predicted. Free Movement "as it operated before". So they're going to tweak Free Movement. It will be Free Movement with a job offer.

Judging by today's migration stats that will take 130,000 people off the immigration figure, which is no small thing.

I doubt TMay will get net migration down to tens of thousands, but she could get it significantly under 200,000 which is a big drop from 330,000 and would probably placate the voters.
    200k are still coming from non-eu countries, which is within our control whatever brexit. But that would require some tough decisions.
    Believe it or not, there has been a decrease in non-EU workers since 2008.

It's fairly obvious where Theresa and Angela have agreed the axe will fall in Europe - workers should be able to independently support their entire families - consequently job seekers, family joiners and dependents of the low paid are going to be barred.

Meanwhile, the Germans are advocating gunboats in the med.
  • Options
    YellowSubmarineYellowSubmarine Posts: 2,740
    edited December 2016

The red deer are pregnant???
    Very good Sunil, very good.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798
    Insert joke about Tower Hamlets elections here.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

MikeK said:

Isn't it your constituency :D ?
    No. I left the area almost 18 months ago.
  • Options
    Zac @ 1.42 on Betfair. Olney @ 3
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    edited December 2016
    Pulpstar said:

Has anyone polled the black minority ethnic voter in Richmond yet ?

Yes, I voted against my interest. Because i'm too stupid and racist to know what my interest is.
  • Options
    With by-elections, local or parliamentary, I generally hope for the most interesting result which is at least marginally plausible.

So LD Gain, LD Gain, UKIP Hold, Lab Gain, Ind gain and LD Gain.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    SeanT said:

This is as exciting as Brexit night, isn't it?

We shall never see its like again. Unless we get Brexit Round 3 at some point.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited December 2016
    Manuel from fawlty towers has died.
  • Options
    DixieDixie Posts: 1,221

Zac @ 1.42 on Betfair. Olney @ 3

gotta put money on the Yellow at that level. well, at least a couple of shillings.
  • Options
    trawltrawl Posts: 142
    Off topic, just been in my BF a/c and see they have paid out on Michigan. On POTUS night someone posted on PB to start thinking about a Trump win there in the light of the early results. Apologies I can't recall who but thanks whoever it was.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

2016 claims another. Another 30 days of this dreadful year.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    kle4 said:

SeanT said:

Errr I don't want to be picky but surely Trump winning was in fact very Brexity in terms of the polling, odds, and the "shocking" outcome. GE 2015 and Corbyn's 1st victory aren't far off it either.
  • Options
    Had my best ever Brexit discussion today. Chatting to a German Psychotherapist who lives here working for the NHS. She moves in overwhelmingly Remainian circles but was calling the referendum for Leave months in advance to her friends/collegues bewilderment. It was based on her fascinating analysis of watching dubbed versions of Upstairs, Downstairs in Germany as a child then comparing it to Downtown Abbey here as an adult. She argues , as you'd expect from a psychotherapist , that the myths we we tell about ourselves say a lot about our national self conscious.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

kle4 said:

SeanT said:

It just occurred to me that politics will NEVER be as exciting as 2014-2016. From indyref to the GE to Corbyn to the incredible peak of Brexit and The Donald, that was it.

We're done. We're finished. Within the realms of democratic politics, we have had the most excitement possible. We can't touch those heights again. From now on, all is gentle decline.

*sigh*
    You could have said that last year. GE 2017 could be a humdinger.
  • Options
    Faisal Islam says turnout below 50%
  • Options
    SeanT said:

kle4 said:

SeanT said:

It just occurred to me that politics will NEVER be as exciting as 2014-2016. From indyref to the GE to Corbyn to the incredible peak of Brexit and The Donald, that was it.

We're done. We're finished. Within the realms of democratic politics, we have had the most excitement possible. We can't touch those heights again. From now on, all is gentle decline.

*sigh*
    Wrong! The break-up of the EU is just beginning.
  • Options
    glw said:

kle4 said:

SeanT said:

Errr I don't want to be picky but surely Trump winning was in fact very Brexity in terms of the polling, odds, and the "shocking" outcome. GE 2015 and Corbyn's 1st victory aren't far off it either.
    Experiencing a US election is different to experiencing one on the home front, in my view. As for comparing a longstanding outsider winning a party election with the titanic nature of the Brexit vote, well, how dare you, sir or madam.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

SeanT said:

kle4 said:

SeanT said:

*sigh*
    Corbyn wins snap GE?
  • Options

Farage has just conceded....
  • Options
    chestnut said:

FPT

SeanT said:

As I predicted. Free Movement "as it operated before". So they're going to tweak Free Movement. It will be Free Movement with a job offer.

Judging by today's migration stats that will take 130,000 people off the immigration figure, which is no small thing.

I doubt TMay will get net migration down to tens of thousands, but she could get it significantly under 200,000 which is a big drop from 330,000 and would probably placate the voters.
    200k are still coming from non-eu countries, which is within our control whatever brexit. But that would require some tough decisions.

It's fairly obvious where Theresa and Angela have agreed the axe will fall in Europe - workers should be able to independently support their entire families - consequently job seekers, family joiners and dependents of the low paid are going to be barred.

I think that you mean a decrease in the rate of immigration from non eu, not in the absolute number. from todays figures non-eu migrants are more likely to stay:

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/populationandmigration/internationalmigration/bulletins/migrationstatisticsquarterlyreport/dec2016

So in the year that Mrs May had control of the home office, and a Conservative majority, there was net migration of 196 000 non eu people.

It doesn't sound as if she has a grip on it to me.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

kle4 said:

SeanT said:

*sigh*
    It's perfectly plausible, even likely that 2017 will see #Mayday
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,047
    SeanT said:

It might be for some. And there's the added bonus that even if the result goes against your side it doesn't matter anyway.
  • Options

I Know Nothing! - Andrew Sachs RIP
  • Options

chestnut said:

FPT

SeanT said:

I think that you mean a decrease in the rate of immigration from non eu, not in the absolute number. from todays figures non-eu migrants are more likely to stay:

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/populationandmigration/internationalmigration/bulletins/migrationstatisticsquarterlyreport/dec2016

So in the year that Mrs May had control of the home office, and a Conservative majority, there was net migration of 196 000 non eu people.

Just a quick question, our net immigration is ~ 700k in the last couple of years. And around 60k houses have been built (I think).

Where are all the extra people living ?
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,995
    MikeK said:

Not me - and I haven't even got a mole.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,289
    Well Mr Farron has emailed me to say he is expecting a good result. Let's wait and see...

On Betfair the LDs have shaded out to about 3.0
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

SeanT said:

kle4 said:

SeanT said:

*sigh*
    Corbyn wins snap GE?
    Golden rule of politics these days, just when you think it can't get worse it does in new and more depressing ways
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    kle4 said:

SeanT said:

Hard to believe even that would be any kind of a match. In June it was commonly thought to be all over bar the shouting, even after voting ceased. We know now that the seemingly inevitable can be over-turned.

But hard to believe, also, that we will ever again be offered a referendum on anything - now that the seemingly inevitable result has been over-turned by those pesky voters once.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Well Mr Farron has emailed me to say he is expecting a good result. Let's wait and see...

Who doesn't claim a good result in these situations? Trying to overturn such a massive majority, just getting within shouting distance would be said to be good.
  • Options

Had my best ever Brexit discussion today. Chatting to a German Psychotherapist who lives here working for the NHS. She moves in overwhelmingly Remainian circles but was calling the referendum for Leave months in advance to her friends/collegues bewilderment. It was based on her fascinating analysis of watching dubbed versions of Upstairs, Downstairs in Germany as a child then comparing it to Downtown Abbey here as an adult. She argues , as you'd expect from a psychotherapist , that the myths we we tell about ourselves say a lot about our national self conscious.

How did they compare and what did that mean politically ?

I've never watched Downton Abbey but have seen a few episodes of Upstairs, Downstairs on ITV encore - surprisingly watchable IMO.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    kle4 said:

Experiencing a US election is different to experiencing one on the home front, in my view.

You have a good point about the experience, but the event itself was certainly similar. Some of our neighbours might have their own "Brexits" soon.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,995

I think that's right. Low turnout. Allegedly 35% in my local polling station.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Jonathan said:

2016 will go down as one of the best years of my life. I went to these countries: Thailand, Kenya (to see the last northern white rhinos on earth), Bhutan, Calabria in Italy (ate best dish of my life), Ticino in Switzerland, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Portugal, Chile, Bolivia, Peru (climbed to 18,400 feet), Dordogne in France, and Australia (where I stayed in Australia's best hotel).

I also slept with several exquisite young women, saw the UK exit the EU (a lifelong ambition), and laughed long and hard at the election of Donald Trump. And I made £200,000 from royalties just by sitting on my fat smug arse.

I fully expect to get a richly deserved face cancer in 2017, and to spend most of it in Macclesfield. The pendulum must swing.
    Must be weird to find yourself on the centre left of politics now.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Is your particular polling station more likely to be a strong Lib Dem or Tory one ?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

chestnut said:

FPT

SeanT said:

Just a quick question, our net immigration is ~ 700k in the last couple of years. And around 60k houses have been built (I think).

Are you saying that immigration drives up housing prices and rental costs?
    shock
    Next you may think that immigration keeps wages down. Just wait for the europhile deniers to pile in....
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807
    SeanT said:

Jonathan said:

2016 will go down as one of the best years of my life. I went to these countries: Thailand, Kenya (to see the last northern white rhinos on earth), Bhutan, Calabria in Italy (ate best dish of my life), Ticino in Switzerland, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Portugal, Chile, Bolivia, Peru (climbed to 18,400 feet), Dordogne in France, and Australia (where I stayed in Australia's best hotel).

I also slept with several exquisite young women, saw the UK exit the EU (a lifelong ambition), and laughed long and hard at the election of Donald Trump. And I made £200,000 from royalties just by sitting on my fat smug arse.

I fully expect to get a richly deserved face cancer in 2017, and to spend most of it in Macclesfield. The pendulum must swing.
    Charlie Falconer's resignation was the highlight for me.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Nothing less than a win is a good result for the Lib Dems. It's a former seat of theirs, lost to a liberally inclined Tory who then turned into Richard Nixon as candidate for London mayor. It's thought of as a very pro-EU area with the whole election a bit of a farce, reflecting badly on both the Tories and Goldsmith. The Greens have even stood aside for them.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

chestnut said:

FPT

SeanT said:

shock
    Next you may think that immigration keeps wages down. Just wait for the europhile deniers to pile in....
    Obviously price is a function of demand, my question simply is where are all the extra people living :D !
  • Options
    kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

Who doesn't claim a good result in these situations? Trying to overturn such a massive majority, just getting within shouting distance would be said to be good.
    Well, they'll be able to claim a huge swing from Conservative no matter what happens!
  • Options
    I've got a great picture of Zac trying to hold a pint glass. Just had Coke in it. He didn't want to do it...smiling but hating me. How do I upload it to PB?
  • Options

"I can speak English! I learn it from a book!"
  • Options
    Euro migration before Spain joined, to fill a job because he is cheap...

Take back control!
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Nothing less than a win is a good result for the Lib Dems. It's a former seat of theirs, lost to a liberally inclined Tory who then turned into Richard Nixon as candidate for London mayor. It's thought of as a very pro-EU area with the whole election a bit of a farce, reflecting badly on both the Tories and Goldsmith. The Greens have even stood aside for them.
    I agree
  • Options
    Dixie said:

I've got a great picture of Zac trying to hold a pint glass. Just had Coke in it. He didn't want to do it...smiling but hating me. How do I upload it to PB?

Post it onto twitter, then link the tweet.
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    Pulpstar said:

chestnut said:

FPT

SeanT said:

Er, in garden sheds in Slough I think. Or with the in-laws.
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040
    edited December 2016
    SeanT said:

Jobabob said:

SeanT said:

Jonathan said:

He's RESIGNED???
    That's news to me too - he's still clinging on was the last I heard.
  • Options

"I can speak English! I learn it from a book!"
    Que?
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040
    Dixie said:

That Zac/Bollywood clip is pure comedy gold - someone load it up please.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Dixie said:

I'm feeling guilty now. Anyway, not sure I want to post it on my actual twitter as i use my real name on that.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

chestnut said:

FPT

SeanT said:

shock
    Obviously price is a function of demand, my question simply is where are all the extra people living :D !
    In smaller and smaller spaces.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,079
    Dixie said:

Pulpstar said:

Dixie said:

I'm feeling guilty now. Anyway, not sure I want to post it on my actual twitter as i use my real name on that.
    Upload it to TinyPic.com
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,726
    SeanT said:

kle4 said:

SeanT said:

*sigh*
    1989 was even more exciting surely? Internationally, anyway
  • Options
    DromedaryDromedary Posts: 1,194
    edited December 2016
    This is how an Italian friend sees the position in Italy:

* NO will win on Sunday, which means Grillo will win

* M5S will win a plurality in the next general election

* a NO win will probably lead to the end of the majority bonus system, so M5S will not win a majority in the lower house

* how Grillo will make use of his win is unclear

The issue of the majority bonus system is NOT being reported much in the "Anglo-American" press, if one may use an adjective that is popular in France and Italy. Said press prefers to write of how "complicated" the referendum issue is. Yeah right.

Goodness knows why, but Renzi is giving the same hand signal as Trump:

Renzi's promise to resign if NO wins has spurred people to vote NO. He appears to be a bit thick in his head, or maybe someone has slipped something in his water or has just told him he's got to go:

"I made an error in the beginning by personalising the referendum. I don’t want to make the same mistake now. To err is human, to persevere, diabolical."

Who wants a prime minister who talks like that?
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

SeanT said:

Jonathan said:

Must be weird to find yourself on the centre left of politics now.
    AnneJGP said:

kle4 said:

SeanT said:

Hard to believe even that would be any kind of a match. In June it was commonly thought to be all over bar the shouting, even after voting ceased. We know now that the seemingly inevitable can be over-turned.

But hard to believe, also, that we will ever again be offered a referendum on anything - now that the seemingly inevitable result has been over-turned by those pesky voters once.
    Brexit will soon be proved to be a complete waste of time and money. Whether you like its ideals or not it's implementation will be a shambles - either that or it will be so wat
    SeanT said:

Jobabob said:

SeanT said:

Jonathan said:

2016 will go down as one of the best years of SNIP

He's RESIGNED???
    In noisy times, quiet revolutions slip by unheard.
  • Options
    Sunil's Great British Railway Journeys - 2016 Edition. Rail routes that Sunil has done for the first time.

Jan: Kidsgrove to Manchester Piccadilly, Overton to Salisbury, Ashford to Eastbourne, Manningtree to Harwich

Feb: Nottingham to Hucknall (NET tram), Alderley Edge to Cheadle Hulme, Manchester Piccadilly to Ashton (Metrolink), Chester to Liverpool via Birkenhead, Newhaven Harbour to Seaford

March: Ford to Bognor Regis, Polegate to Eastbourne, Crowhurst to St Leonards, Petersfield to Portsmouth, Portsmouth to Eastleigh, Derby to Matlock, Matlock to Rowsley South (Peak Rail)

Apr: Faversham to Dover, Ely to Kings Lynn, Liverpool to Southport, Thorpe-le-Soken to Walton-on-Naze

May: Ely to Norwich, Cambridge to Stowmarket, Stockport to Buxton, Barnham to Havant, Bedhampton to Cosham, Fareham to St Denys (Southampton), Ryde to Shanklin (Isle of Wight), Bull Street to New Street (Midland Metro)

Jun: Ipswich to Lowestoft, Nottingham to Chesterfield, Nottingham to Clifton South (NET), Nottingham to Toton Lane (NET), David Lane to Phoenix Park (NET), Peterborough to Lincoln, Ramsgate to Dover

Jul: Gloucester to Newport (Wales), Liverpool to Wigan North Western, Southampton to Weymouth, Nottingham to Lincoln, Grantham to Skegness, Gobowen to Chester, Norwich to Great Yarmouth (via Acle), Great Yarmouth to Norwich (via Berney Arms), Sileby to Melton Mowbray, Ipswich to Felixstowe

Aug: Nottingham to Worksop, Salisbury to Westbury, Winsford to Manchester Airport, Manchester Airport to Piccadilly, Eastleigh to Salisbury, Norwich to Sheringham, Manchester Piccadilly to Leeds (via Huddersfield), Guide Bridge to Hadfield (via Glossop), Hadfield to Dinting

Sep: Piccadilly to Bury (Manchester Metrolink), Salisbury to Exeter St. Davids (via Yeovil), Sheffield Station to Halfway (Supertram), Gleadless Townend to Herdings Park (Supertram), Brockenhurst to Lymington Pier, Birkenhead Hamilton Square to West Kirby, Birkenhead North to New Brighton, Reedham (Norfolk) to Lowestoft, Ely to Kennett, Wigan North Western to Preston

Oct: Pewsey to Newton Abbot (avoiding Westbury and Frome, and via Exeter St Davids), Stockport to Chester (via Altrincham), Redbridge (Hants.) to Romsey, Sheffield to Doncaster (avoiding Rotherham), Chippenham to Trowbridge, Manchester Piccadilly to Liverpool (via Warrington Central), Huyton to Manchester Deansgate (via Newton-le-Willows), Castle Cary to Yeovil Junction (via Pen Mill), Bruton to Frome, Hooton to Ellesmere Port, Ellesmere Port to Helsby, Bristol to Taunton (avoiding Weston-super-Mare), Langley Green to Smethwick Rolfe Street (rare track!)

Nov: Hazel Grove to Sheffield, Sandhills (Liverpool) to Ormskirk, Worle to Highbridge and Burnham (via Weston), Sheffield University to Malin Bridge (Supertram), Hillsborough to Middlewood (Supertram), Fitzalan Square to Meadowhall (Supertram), Piccadilly Gardens to Altrincham (Metrolink), Cornbrook to Eccles (Metrolink), Harbour City to Media City (Metrolink).
  • Options
    Good things about 2016? Cameron's sudden resignation not even being the number 1 news story of the day. And er....... that's about it.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

chestnut said:

FPT

SeanT said:

shock
    3 bedroom rented places now with at least 6 people, sometimes 9.
  • Options
    Tories have been canvassing tonight in Richmond Park that have finally confirmed. they've told me that Libs have won.
  • Options
    O/T French election

After Hollande's announcement, the picture gets even more complicated on the left.

Most socialists are trying to stay on message tonight, saluting a "dignified and lucid" speech (to be honest, he mainly looked and sounded like a very sad, tired and broken man).

But the deadline for the left-wing primary candidacies is in less than two weeks and Hollande's decision is opening up the game.

It is a virtual certainty that Valls will announce his candidacy either on Friday or Saturday. The expecteation is that he will resign as PM to be able to campaign full-time. His most likely successor for this interim role would be Bernard Cazeneuve (Interior minister, very close to Hollande).

Now the problem is for the centre (or Hollandist) branch of the party, formerly dominant. The current candidates all represent either the left wing (Hamon, Montebourg, Filoche, Lienemann), the small allied parties (de Rugy and Benhamias) or the right-wing (Valls).

Thus there are rumors other candidates from that wing could enter the race: Najat Vallaud-Belkacem (education minister, 39) or Marisol Touraine (Health Minister, 59). Both are women and would guarantee a female particpation (Lienemann is not sure to get the needed number of supporters). NVB, who was born in Morocco, would also bring another touch of "diversity".

The dream of the "diversity" branch of the left is to have Christiane Taubira run. Taubira, 64, is a black woman who is mostly known as the Minister who prepared and defended in Parliament the Gay marriage law and the Justice Minister who pleaded against new anti-terror laws. She would get massive press support and would probably do well with the most militant base. She would of course have no chance in the general election but so do most of the others...
  • Options
    FF43 said:

SeanT said:

kle4 said:

SeanT said:

*sigh*
    1990 with the defenestration of Maggie was a great day to be alive, as was watching the country turn red in May 1997.
  • Options
    The only political highlight of 2016 for me was Nigel Farage losing in South Thanet.

Outside of that, it was a pretty disappointing year.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

So, Olney the Lonely ?
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

kle4 said:

SeanT said:

Brexit will soon be proved to be a complete waste of time and money. Whether you like its ideals or not it's implementation will be a shambles - either that or it will be so watered down as to make no difference. Probably the former.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @STJamesl: #RichmondPark chat
    LD sources "it's tighter than a Nats f***ing chuff - 3k either way
  • Options

The only political highlight of 2016 for me was Nigel Farage losing in South Thanet.

That was 2015 surely?
  • Options

Farage lost in 2015, won big in 2016.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,465
    Dixie said:

Tories have been canvassing tonight in Richmond Park that have finally confirmed. they've told me that Libs have won.

That's big!
  • Options

FF43 said:

SeanT said:

kle4 said:

SeanT said:

*sigh*
    1990 with the defenestration of Maggie was a great day to be alive, as was watching the country turn red in May 1997.
    In the context of where we are in 2016, May 1997 has to be considered one of the most stupid decisions the electorate have ever made.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,465
    edited December 2016
    chestnut said:

FF43 said:

SeanT said:

kle4 said:

SeanT said:

*sigh*
    In the context of where we are in 2016, May 1997 has to be considered one of the most stupid decisions the electorate have ever made.
    But it felt good at the time - that's all you ever need to know about left wing politics.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Farage lost in 2015, won big in 2016.
    You're right. For some reason the 2015 GE feels like it was so recent. The fact I picked an event that happened last year shows (a. I'm going crazy (b. 2016 was a really terrible year for liberals.
  • Options

Dixie said:

That's big!
    Of course, they really don't know. Just their feeling. They're on the phone now, they are so miserable. I can't get them off the phone.
  • Options
    @Another_Richard She argued Upstairs, Downstairs was a *memory* of a social order that was stronger in the past but still existed when it was broadcast. She felt Downtown Abbey was a fantasy about a social order that no longer existed and was a sort of cultural grief.

She saw the Upstairs, Downstairs as a repressive social order but an organic and functional one. She saw Downtown Abbey as a decadent social order that no longer functioned for key stakeholders..

So her theory was contemporary Britain was telling it's self it wanted the fantasy of Downtown Abbey because it could no longer *remember* the order of the Upstairs, Downstairs and was grieving. When the referendum came the servants ( the voters ) would murder the Granthams ( Cameron/Osborne ) because they'd renaged on the organic inclusion of the Upstairs, Downstairs model. They'd murder their father because they felt the absence of paternal care.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

FF43 said:

SeanT said:

kle4 said:

SeanT said:

*sigh*
    One of many poor decisions perhaps, but thats democracy.

I would argue that the 1997 Labour govt was pretty good. It was the second rerm that both Tony and Gordon got drunk on power and went bonkers.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,289
    IanB2 said:

Correction, now polls have closed the LibDems are on 2.52, with Zac on 1.53
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

SeanT said:

kle4 said:

SeanT said:

*sigh*
    Corbyn wins snap GE?
    Corbyn winning would send this site into a bigger meltdown than Trump and Brexit combined :)
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    It doesn't seem especially bonkers, just desperate and ignoring some key factors making stopping Brexit more than merely 'not easy'.
  • Options
    edited December 2016

chestnut said:

FF43 said:

SeanT said:

kle4 said:

SeanT said:

*sigh*
    But it felt good at the time - that's all you ever need to know about left wing politics.
    I really don't think that's an attitude unique to the left wing. Is one more inclined to that sort of thing? That's a more difficult one.
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819

Farage has just conceded....
    Hillary looking strong in Florida
This discussion has been closed.