Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The dramatic moment when after four years as betting favourite

Comments

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,187

IanB2 said:

PlatoSaid said:

Patrick said:

Super chart. Super result. As it says over at Zerohedge - the Deplorables are going to be coming for the Snowflakes now. War's just beginning.

Obama's biggest strategic mistake was his executive order fest. Just look at what he signed - the list is enormous.

And Trump can just undo most of it with his pen too. Obamacare is first up. And if there's a fuss, the GOP can just stop all the relief funding instead - that effs the whole model financially.

Is there a market on next appointees for key roles?
    But his alternative was doing FA.

If the things that are undone were popular, there will be a backlash, in time. There always is.
    Indeed... the Dems have a strong chance in 2020 if they pick the right nominee. Even with 2 terms of incumbency and a weak candidate they got 230 EVs. They just need to win back FL and PA, and will likely be closer in AZ and GA than this time from demographic changes. Meanwhile there will be widespread disillusionment with Trump as his lies unravel.
    The Dems will move left in 2020 with Elizabeth Warren frontrunner, Michael Moore already urging his supporters to 'take back the party' a la Corbynistas
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154

Mr. Mark, sounds like you had a splendid day out. I can only assume Clarkson wasn't driving the safety car :p

Arf! And nobody got punched....
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    PlatoSaid said:

Just a little updatette re Rod Crosby

His winnings are seriously impressive. Now he's off to spend some loose change getting his pilot's licence.

Although I don't agree politically with much of Rod's views, there is no doubt that he was a huge benefit to the site.

It is a shame that we have lost him.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,010
    HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

PlatoSaid said:

Patrick said:

Super chart. Super result. As it says over at Zerohedge - the Deplorables are going to be coming for the Snowflakes now. War's just beginning.

Obama's biggest strategic mistake was his executive order fest. Just look at what he signed - the list is enormous.

And Trump can just undo most of it with his pen too. Obamacare is first up. And if there's a fuss, the GOP can just stop all the relief funding instead - that effs the whole model financially.

If the things that are undone were popular, there will be a backlash, in time. There always is.
    Indeed... the Dems have a strong chance in 2020 if they pick the right nominee. Even with 2 terms of incumbency and a weak candidate they got 230 EVs. They just need to win back FL and PA, and will likely be closer in AZ and GA than this time from demographic changes. Meanwhile there will be widespread disillusionment with Trump as his lies unravel.
    The Dems will move left in 2020 with Elizabeth Warren frontrunner, Michael Moore already urging his supporters to 'take back the party' a la Corbynistas
    Trump gains Minnesota.
  • Options
    I guess Biden will be too old - Warren isn't the answer though. She'll lose.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383

Southam, I really don't think a lot of these Trump voters have truly considered the implications of his presidency. Can see a lot of people regretting voting for him in the coming years.

For Trump voters, read what Brexit voters have had to endure for the past months.

"Bless them, for they know not what they do...."

Ever thought that they voted as they did because the other side failed to make a convincing argument to win their vote? That Brexit and Trump happened not because their supporters were dumb or hoodwinked, but because they carefully weighed up the two opposing choices - and made a considered, valid judgment call?
    I don't think they are dumb or have been hoodwinked. But I do think they don't believe that Trump will go through with several of things he has said.
    They probably still have low expectations of Trump's ability to deliver. His novelty was that at least he was LISTENING to them.
    All the interviews I've seen on TV are in the 'I trust him to bust a gut to do it. If he doesn't manage it, he listened and tried'
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238

PlatoSaid said:

His winnings are seriously impressive. Now he's off to spend some loose change getting his pilot's licence.

Although I don't agree politically with much of Rod's views, there is no doubt that he was a huge benefit to the site.

:+1:
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,005

Southam, I really don't think a lot of these Trump voters have truly considered the implications of his presidency. Can see a lot of people regretting voting for him in the coming years.

For Trump voters, read what Brexit voters have had to endure for the past months.

Ever thought that they voted as they did because the other side failed to make a convincing argument to win their vote? That Brexit and Trump happened not because their supporters were dumb or hoodwinked, but because they carefully weighed up the two opposing choices - and made a considered, valid judgment call?
    I don't think they are dumb or have been hoodwinked. But I do think they don't believe that Trump will go through with several of things he has said.
    They probably still have low expectations of Trump's ability to deliver. His novelty was that at least he was LISTENING to them.
    I think there are a lot of Trump supporters who expect to do equally badly - in economic terms - under either Republicans or Democrats, but at least think that Trump respects them (or at least pretends to) whereas they think most leading Democrats despise them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited November 2016
    Sean_F said:

Patrick said:

IanB2 said:

Patrick said:

Patrick said:

Cool. At least everyone can swiftly dispose of all that 'unity' bullshit from Trump and the less nutty of his proxies.
    Maybe they can unify around a theme of 'you can say how you really feel and discuss any issues you like without some whiney fuck telling you are terrible because of it'. The slow and wonderful suicide of PC will usher in a return to more free speech and mutual respect. I saw at Samizdata the other day the case of a lefty lesbian feminist SJW type getting told she was actually an oppressor because she was a white lesbian feminist - and of course only black lesbian feminists are the real deal. The left is eating itself. Everyone else is just very tired of being hectored all the time.
    The free speech bit I can see, but the mutual respect bit looks very unhappy sitting in your post.
    I think the left demands that everyone else respects its point of view and only its point of view - if you happen to disagree then you're deplorable. The right generally says it doesn't have a beef with, for example, homosexuality, but needs to get a hearing on, for example, immigration. If that reasonable demand is supressed it will at some point explode. Far better to have free speech and open arguments. At least both sides would know what the other was thinking - and therein lies the seed of respect. I get the huge impression that many lefties have no idea whatever how possibly a majority of their countrymen actually live and think. It has been the utter disdain and disrespect for the views of a vast swathe of normal decent people that has fuelled the Brexit / Trump style backlash.
    ... it may be a case of replacing one orthodoxy with another, rather than with tolerance.
    I genuinely, sincerely hope not. Righties, even caked on evangelical nutjob righties in the USA, tend to be more polite and gentle than lefties. I do very much hope we can all just accept that we have differing views and still rub along - pretty much as we do here on PB. We can all be tolerant of each other's different views.
    There is of course one intolerance for which we should all maintain zero tolerance ourselves. You know the one. The exploding, head-chopping, liberty and civilisation destroying one.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

I'd give my eye teeth to make money like Rod on a single bet. Tens of thousands.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

PlatoSaid said:

Patrick said:

Trump gains Minnesota.
    In the natural order of things those Dems with the most burning ambition to win and with time on their side, age-wise, will sit out 2020 and wait for the two terms to be over and therefore no incumbent factor. Perhaps this doesn't apply with Trump.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

PlatoSaid said:

Patrick said:

Given TRump's huge spending commitments "Moving Left" might be indistinguishable from "moving Trump" economically.

For me the big unkown for me is going to be Congresses realtionship with Trump. They've spent the last 8 years decrying every dollar of deficit spending as the work of the devil and morally unacceptable and now 'their' president is promising massive deficit spending.

The question is if they are going to adopt the same position they did when Bush was in power of deficit spending is okay of you are a Republican or if the Tea Partiers (which was founded on opposing government spending) will stick to their principles
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

FF43 said:

It was halfway through the Florida count, when Clinton wasn't pulling away, that it became obvious.

I must have gone to bed just minutes earlier, confident in a Clinton victory.

RCS called it far too early for Clinton - as I told him at the time. The real numbers just didn't look right for her.

I am old enough, but not too old to remember what its like when the left win. Like 2015, this campaign never felt right.

When has the "left" ever won in the UK. Labour has never won as seriously left wing.. every time Labour leans left, it gets smashed... cont p94
    I know that Tories like to indulge in revisionist history, especially about the Blair era, but rest assured that at the time it was a privilidge and a pleasure to hand the right its arse on a plate.
    Labour supporters more than Tories thesedays question the left wingedness of labour u der Blair!
    Nevertheless that day as the sun came up in 1997 truly felt like the first day of a new era, with the government that had ruled throughout my politically-aware liftetime not just defeated but destroyed.

And all the announcements over the days that followed, as we were promised such wondrous things as ethical foreign policy.

It's best to stop the story there, sadly.
    I well remember the despair I felt, the morning after the 1997 election.
    Me too.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,634
    This is the new line from the left, "right wing radicalisation". I'm seeing it more and more with the sore losers. They want to equate people voting Trump with people blowing up innocents. Fucking morons.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

PlatoSaid said:

Patrick said:

Trump gains Minnesota.
    Are we talking now or future? I've gone vote blind after all the tooing and froing
  • Options
    Also, I don't see the Dems nominating a NE big L Liberal Academic. It's not the West Wing.
  • Options

FF43 said:

It was halfway through the Florida count, when Clinton wasn't pulling away, that it became obvious.

RCS called it far too early for Clinton - as I told him at the time. The real numbers just didn't look right for her.

You are the new JackW of the site. Congratulations.

What would you like to call your arse?

Donald.

;-)
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

PlatoSaid said:

Patrick said:

Trump gains Minnesota.
    Are we talking now or future? I've gone vote blind after all the tooing and froing
    If Warren runs, I think he'll add Minnesota to his column.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Patrick said:

IanB2 said:

Patrick said:

Patrick said:

Cool. At least everyone can swiftly dispose of all that 'unity' bullshit from Trump and the less nutty of his proxies.
    Maybe they can unify around a theme of 'you can say how you really feel and discuss any issues you like without some whiney fuck telling you are terrible because of it'. The slow and wonderful suicide of PC will usher in a return to more free speech and mutual respect. I saw at Samizdata the other day the case of a lefty lesbian feminist SJW type getting told she was actually an oppressor because she was a white lesbian feminist - and of course only black lesbian feminists are the real deal. The left is eating itself. Everyone else is just very tired of being hectored all the time.
    The free speech bit I can see, but the mutual respect bit looks very unhappy sitting in your post.
    I think the left demands that everyone else respects its point of view and only its point of view - if you happen to disagree then you're deplorable. The right generally says it doesn't have a beef with, for example, homosexuality, but needs to get a hearing on, for example, immigration. If that reasonable demand is supressed it will at some point explode. Far better to have free speech and open arguments. At least both sides would know what the other was thinking - and therein lies the seed of respect. I get the huge impression that many lefties have no idea whatever how possibly a majority of their countrymen actually live and think. It has been the utter disdain and disrespect for the views of a vast swathe of normal decent people that has fuelled the Brexit / Trump style backlash.
    I don't think that's a sin that's exclusive to the Left. Most In Groups demand that orthodoxy must be enforced, whereas Out groups argue for tolerance. But, when Out groups become In Groups, they tend to drop tolerance and favour orthodoxy.

In much of public life, centre left viewpoints have been orthodoxy for a generation. Clearly, voters are pushing back against that, but it may be a case of replacing one orthodoxy with another, rather than with tolerance.
    I'm reading Tim Shipman's 'All Out War' at the moment, which is excellent.

One thing that leaps out from the pages very early on is how hostile and obstructive the civil service and FDO were to Cameron's renegotiation, yet alone the referendum and the result of Brexit.
  • Options
    Mr. Cwsc, indeed.

Mr. Mark, was it the best day out... in the world?
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Also, I don't see the Dems nominating a NE big L Liberal Academic. It's not the West Wing.

I don't know, that woman on QT last night seemed to think it was.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

PlatoSaid said:

Patrick said:

Trump gains Minnesota.
    In the natural order of things those Dems with the most burning ambition to win and with time on their side, age-wise, will sit out 2020 and wait for the two terms to be over and therefore no incumbent factor. Perhaps this doesn't apply with Trump.
    I've asked Betfair to add a name of a Democrat I actually think has a chance.

He has the right name, and looks anyway.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,325
    edited November 2016
    In a nutshell (for the snowflakes, no judgment implied by use of the word 'nut').

https://twitter.com/wirespyuk/status/797006634094563328
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

FF43 said:

I am old enough, but not too old to remember what its like when the left win. Like 2015, this campaign never felt right.

When has the "left" ever won in the UK. Labour has never won as seriously left wing.. every time Labour leans left, it gets smashed... cont p94
    I know that Tories like to indulge in revisionist history, especially about the Blair era, but rest assured that at the time it was a privilidge and a pleasure to hand the right its arse on a plate.
    Labour supporters more than Tories thesedays question the left wingedness of labour u der Blair!
    Nevertheless that day as the sun came up in 1997 truly felt like the first day of a new era, with the government that had ruled throughout my politically-aware liftetime not just defeated but destroyed.

And all the announcements over the days that followed, as we were promised such wondrous things as ethical foreign policy.

Same here. Although you will have cheered up not long afterwards as you got to meet me in Potters Bar conservative club. :-)
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

PlatoSaid said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

PlatoSaid said:

Patrick said:

Trump gains Minnesota.
    Maybe Virgina as well, especially since the DC suburb effect might get diluted over the next four years if the think tanks and Dem staffers start to move on.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,300
    edited November 2016
    I see the talking heads on bbc news at the moment don't really get it.
  • Options
    Mr. Royale, a Pyrrhic victory to frustrate Cameron's negotiation efforts, then.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

IanB2 said:

Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

FF43 said:

The left shall rise again no doubt. Although will presumably take a hit in France first.
    Even though I share the conviction Corbyn is wrong, I still think the left's better chance in current climate is to maximise its revolutionary credentials. There is no doubt that, on the economic side at least, they ought to be positioned to capture a lot of the discontent and disillusioned votes, particularly from the young, as did Sanders. Whatever you think of Corbyn, it is becoming increasingly clear how misguided the PLP were, for surely Smith, Argclu, or any of Corbyn's original troupe of 'moderate' opponents would have done nothing for them?
    But Corbyn is completely the wrong sort of revolutionary. He's an on-steroids version of what the disillusioned are fighting *against* - he's all for unlimited immigration and thinks the most pressing issue in the UK right now is the fate of Palestine.
    Yes, as I said at the beginning. But replacing Corbyn with someone who would make Clinton look both charismatic and radical would have left them even worse off.

One of the lessons from America is to pay some attention to who is pulling the crowds to the rallies - right? Even if the polls are not so good.
    There will many lessons no doubt. We shouldn't lose site of a key fact: Clinton couldn't pull in the sorts of numbers Obama did. Trump actually pulled in less than Romney but still won.
    What you need to remember is that a lot of GOP voters (e.g. in OC) voted for Johnson over Trump.

*If* Trump proves to be sensible over the next 4 years the slate will be wiped clean in terms of the historical sexism etc and so he could get 2m+ additional votes relatively easily. They probably are in the wrong places (CA and TX for instance) to help in the ECV but you need to be careful not to underestimate his potential starting point
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

In a nutshell (for the snowflakes, no judgment implied by use of the word 'nut').

twitter.com/wirespyuk/status/797006634094563328

I don't understand that - whose "mate" is he?
  • Options
    Mr. Urquhart, to understand something, the first step is to want to understand it.

I'm not sure some people actually want to understand why the left is in retreat on both sides of the Atlantic, or why some people have concerns about immigration and globalisation.

And the old tactic of shouting "Racist!" to silence debate just doesn't work anymore.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

This is the new line from the left, "right wing radicalisation". I'm seeing it more and more with the sore losers. They want to equate people voting Trump with people blowing up innocents. Fucking morons.

The nitwits rioting in Portland just reconfirms to Trump voters that they made the right choice. Anti democracy marches are very unappealing.
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited November 2016
    Being fast asleep during the early hours of election night, re-reading that thread has brought some chuckles.
    One comment was "Exit poll has Clinton winning Pennsylvania by ~5%. ".
    Real result was Trump ahead by 1.3%!
    I do not include the name of the 5,000+ PB poster as I trust that they posted an accurate reliable source.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913

Genuinely pathetic.
  • Options
    Charles said:

IanB2 said:

Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

FF43 said:

The left shall rise again no doubt. Although will presumably take a hit in France first.
    Even though I share the conviction Corbyn is wrong, I still think the left's better chance in current climate is to maximise its revolutionary credentials. There is no doubt that, on the economic side at least, they ought to be positioned to capture a lot of the discontent and disillusioned votes, particularly from the young, as did Sanders. Whatever you think of Corbyn, it is becoming increasingly clear how misguided the PLP were, for surely Smith, Argclu, or any of Corbyn's original troupe of 'moderate' opponents would have done nothing for them?
    But Corbyn is completely the wrong sort of revolutionary. He's an on-steroids version of what the disillusioned are fighting *against* - he's all for unlimited immigration and thinks the most pressing issue in the UK right now is the fate of Palestine.
    Yes, as I said at the beginning. But replacing Corbyn with someone who would make Clinton look both charismatic and radical would have left them even worse off.

One of the lessons from America is to pay some attention to who is pulling the crowds to the rallies - right? Even if the polls are not so good.
    There will many lessons no doubt. We shouldn't lose site of a key fact: Clinton couldn't pull in the sorts of numbers Obama did. Trump actually pulled in less than Romney but still won.
    What you need to remember is that a lot of GOP voters (e.g. in OC) voted for Johnson over Trump.

*If* Trump proves to be sensible over the next 4 years the slate will be wiped clean in terms of the historical sexism etc and so he could get 2m+ additional votes relatively easily. They probably are in the wrong places (CA and TX for instance) to help in the ECV but you need to be careful not to underestimate his potential starting point
    Again 'Trump' and 'sensible' in the same sentence. Can he do that, see my earlier post about a golf course in Scotland and his actions there.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

PlatoSaid said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

PlatoSaid said:

Patrick said:

Trump gains Minnesota.
    Maybe Virgina as well, especially since the DC suburb effect might get diluted over the next four years if the think tanks and Dem staffers start to move on.
    Minn, Nevada, New Hampshire, Colorado, Maine too
  • Options
    Sterling up to 1.162 against the Euro and 1.264 against the dollar. Is Brexit Britain the new safe haven?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Clearly too poor and too stupid to understand what they are voting for then?

(Also FPT, Trump hasn't said he's going to take away abortion rights from women. He's just going to return the right to decide back to the States and it's up to them what they do. If CA or NY want abortion on demand it's up to their voters and politicians. The biggest mistake that Brits make is thinking of the US as a sibhle entity: it's not - it's a federation. People in the UK care more about NY than people in CA do, for instance.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,927
    W went to bed after Robert said it was all over... But something just didn't feel right so after about 15 minutes I decided to have another look...

Pleased I did or I would have missed all the fun! :smiley:
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

PlatoSaid said:

Patrick said:

I still find it immensely amusing and karmic that Moore gets Trumpers and unwittingly articulated so well - he ended up as a GOP advert.

It's got 2m views

https://youtu.be/YKeYbEOSqYc
  • Options

Same on SKY News.
  • Options

This discussion on BBC just now was the wailing of the losers rather than a balanced discusssion on the way forward.

Similar discussion just now on Sky.

The broadcast media do not get it and show every sign of denial at the events of this week
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    I'd wait for all the votes to come in before claiming that Trump hasn't beaten Romney. I think he will, quite easily actually. He's due over a million from California yet.

Hillary is due another 2 million in case you're wondering.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,925

Sean_F said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

FF43 said:

Same here. Although you will have cheered up not long afterwards as you got to meet me in Potters Bar conservative club. :-)
    Was it really that traumatic seeing Blair elected? Would he not have been the labour leader you had most in common with at that point? The scale of the defeat was devastating... But the Iikes of Hague thoughr they had a good chance of getting back in at the next election...
  • Options
    edited November 2016

Mr. Urquhart, to understand something, the first step is to want to understand it.

I'm not sure some people actually want to understand why the left is in retreat on both sides of the Atlantic, or why some people have concerns about immigration and globalisation.

And the old tactic of shouting "Racist!" to silence debate just doesn't work anymore.

It is why I like the Dave Rubin show. He is a liberal lefty, but is disgusted by the regressive left & really wants to understand what is going on. So he has loads of people in from left to right , many of which he disagrees with, but does long form 2hr interviews where he basically says tell me...
  • Options

Listening, or simply playing on their fears?
  • Options
    Charles said:

It's also worth noting that once all the counting is finished by next week Trump may not behind Romney in the popular vote despite Johnson leeching 2.5-3m GOP traditionalists.
  • Options
    Charles said:

IanB2 said:

Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

FF43 said:

Even though I share the conviction Corbyn is wrong, I still think the left's better chance in current climate is to maximise its revolutionary credentials. ...SNIP?

*If* Trump proves to be sensible over the next 4 years the slate will be wiped clean in terms of the historical sexism etc and so he could get 2m+ additional votes relatively easily.....
    Good points and this "Hillary won" meme ignores that reality.
    If Trump can just keep things steady and not start a war and meet a few promises he will be fine. Get the bad news on immigration out the way early will help. My question is will he focus on doing the tax deals to get the billions outside the USA brought into the USA? That could be where his negotiating talents could work well.
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    edited November 2016
    Charles said:

Clearly too poor and too stupid to understand what they are voting for then?

(Also FPT, Trump hasn't said he's going to take away abortion rights from women. He's just going to return the right to decide back to the States and it's up to them what they do. If CA or NY want abortion on demand it's up to their voters and politicians. The biggest mistake that Brits make is thinking of the US as a sibhle entity: it's not - it's a federation. People in the UK care more about NY than people in CA do, for instance.
    See my reply to Marquee Mark regarding the post you quoted.
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

Sean_F said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

FF43 said:

Was it really that traumatic seeing Blair elected? Would he not have been the labour leader you had most in common with at that point? The scale of the defeat was devastating... But the Iikes of Hague thoughr they had a good chance of getting back in at the next election...
    I remember saying beforehand that Major would have done well to hold Lab to a 50 seat majority. Iirc on the night there were something like 100 declared seats before the first Tory got returned.
  • Options

This discussion on BBC just now was the wailing of the losers rather than a balanced discusssion on the way forward.

The broadcast media do not get it and show every sign of denial at the events of this week
    After a brief period of balance, CNN has reverted to type. They've a panel now comprising of every leftist surrogate I can think of. I've got it on mute.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Genuinely pathetic.
    Exactly. But what about the terrible 'snowflakes' though....
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,756
    A combination of social conservatism and Keynesian economics has won it for Trump.

Isn't that what Blue Labour was meant to offer? Would we have won last year if Ed had stuck with it?

I'm sure a Nuttall-led UKIP will be offering the same combo across the Labour heartlands in 2020.
  • Options

If Trump can just keep things steady and not start a war and meet a few promises he will be fine. Get the bad news on immigration out the way early will help. My question is will he focus on doing the tax deals to get the billions outside the USA brought into the USA? That could be where his negotiating talents could work well.

In the end I think lowering the corporation tax rate and getting rid of global taxation will be enough for US companies to start repatriating money, just slap a 1-2% repatriation charge on money brought back. I think that's what Trump is aiming for.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Charles said:

It's also worth noting that once all the counting is finished by next week Trump may not behind Romney in the popular vote despite Johnson leeching 2.5-3m GOP traditionalists.
    He definitely won't be.

Check California 2012 vs 2016 election results so far.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,064

Sean_F said:

Patrick said:

IanB2 said:

Patrick said:

Patrick said:

I don't think that's a sin that's exclusive to the Left. Most In Groups demand that orthodoxy must be enforced, whereas Out groups argue for tolerance. But, when Out groups become In Groups, they tend to drop tolerance and favour orthodoxy.

In much of public life, centre left viewpoints have been orthodoxy for a generation. Clearly, voters are pushing back against that, but it may be a case of replacing one orthodoxy with another, rather than with tolerance.
    I'm reading Tim Shipman's 'All Out War' at the moment, which is excellent.

One thing that leaps out from the pages very early on is how hostile and obstructive the civil service and FDO were to Cameron's renegotiation, yet alone the referendum and the result of Brexit.
    Well let's be honest, given the Eurozone and migration crises it's a little hard to believe that they were going to be open to a grand renegotiation on welfare entitlements for new EU arrivals in the UK. If the civil service were telling him that his plan was largely a waste of time and obviously just cosmetic as the likes of Lawson were clear about beforehand, I don't see anything wrong with that. After all they are supposed to speak truth to power.

One other thing. Economic journalist Simon Nixon recently quoted a remark from a few years ago by a major (non-Britih) CEO of a company based in provincial Britain. He said 'The trouble is you guys don't even know your own country. You're Switzerland connected to East Germany.' Hard to say who those 'guys' were but I'm sure it included many of our leading public figures. If they were then and are now on the centre-left, it is in purely cultural terms.
  • Options

Why are the BBC News, ITV News, SKY News and C4 News all in the same left leaning metrosexual zone? Three of them need to attract viewers and advertising, so why be out of line with their potentially largest audience? Their producers seem to have tin ears and just run lines and interviews that agree with their own politics.
  • Options
    Sky news ...now it is Facebook fault for allowing fake news...
  • Options

A combination of social conservatism and Keynesian economics has won it for Trump.

Isn't that what Blue Labour was meant to offer? Would we have won last year if Ed had stuck with it?

I'm sure a Nuttall-led UKIP will be offering the same combo across the Labour heartlands in 2020.

Yes, which is why I think Labour are buggered assuming Nutall wins. He's got the accent and he'll have the policies vs an unpatriotic ultra liberal who wants to have unlimited migration.
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    edited November 2016

Labour were never winning under Ed M. And this country isn't obsessed with abortion etc. unlike a lot of the evangelicals in America.
  • Options

It is why I like the Dave Rubin show. He is a liberal lefty, but is disgusted by the regressive left & really wants to understand what is going on. So he has loads of people in from left to right , many of which he disagrees with, but does long form 2hr interviews where he basically says tell me...
    I rather like him too. The alternative media are so much more interesting and honest.
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited November 2016
    Someone below pointed out the intolerance problem that exists amongst some of the left.
    http://order-order.com/2016/11/11/guardian-journalist-tweet-presidential-assassination-call-deletes-account/
    :astonished:
  • Options

Labour were never winning under Ed M. And this country isn't obsessed with abortion etc. unlike a lot of the evangelicals in America.
    Ed was a numpty. People saw him as a numpty and he sounded like a numpty.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,894
    PlatoSaid said:

What patronising bollocks again.
    Is it ?

It's in the nature of government to disappoint; promises are one thing, and delivery quite another.
    Likewise, voters tend to remember remember costs, and discount benefits.
    For example, 'abolishing' Obamacare might well have been what won Trump the election - the increased insurance premiums were a big hit to the pocketbook of a significant number of middle class voters in key states. If and when it goes, the resentment from those who lose cover completely is likely to be of more salience than any residual gratitude from the winners by the time of the next presidential election.

The Apocalypse might be overstating with "a lot", but it really doesn't take more than a couple of percent to swing the electoral college back the other way. And the Democrats are unlikely to pick a candidate who is as poor a campaigner as Clinton; a wide open field will means a poor campaigner can't stitch up the nomination.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,756

Of course it isn't like for like - social conservatism is relative - the issues that matter in the UK are different to those in the US. But just like the Dems, Labour has been too fixated on one section of its support, and ignored its roots.
  • Options

Charles said:

IanB2 said:

Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

FF43 said:

Even though I share the conviction Corbyn is wrong, I still think the left's better chance in current climate is to maximise its revolutionary credentials. ...SNIP?

*If* Trump proves to be sensible over the next 4 years the slate will be wiped clean in terms of the historical sexism etc and so he could get 2m+ additional votes relatively easily.....
    Trump is known for following through on threats. He said he wouldn't do the Fox debate, and he didn't.

Then used the drama to steal the limelight by arriving at the end.
  • Options
    Shock horror! A Guardian journalist talking sense:
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/nov/11/left-woo-white-voters
  • Options
    Mr. Urquhart, never heard of that chap, but his show does sound interesting.
  • Options
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

I rather like him too. The alternative media are so much more interesting and honest.
    I prefer him over say the "dumb jerks" is even though he has got his least preferred option in the election, he us again trying to ask well what does this mean. In comparison cenk and co have been like spoiled kids since Bernie lost and the best bit was all the stuff they do on "fat shaming"...then when Alex Jones gate crashes their show they screamed, threw water at him & called him a fat f##k.
  • Options

Of course it isn't like for like - social conservatism is relative - the issues that matter in the UK are different to those in the US. But just like the Dems, Labour has been too fixated on one section of its support, and ignored its roots.
    I just don't think WWC people care about controlling people's lives as much as many on the American right do. Labour has been complacent about its base and unable to reach out to swing voters.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154

Mr. Cwsc, indeed.

Mr. Mark, was it the best day out... in the world?

You'll have to judge for yourself Mr Dancer, when the film comes out next year.

And on that bombshell....the BBC lawyers will be after me.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Trump is known for following through on threats. He said he wouldn't do the Fox debate, and he didn't.

He has threatened dozens, possibly hundreds of lawsuits that he has never filed.
  • Options

Sky news ...now it is Facebook fault for allowing fake news...

The liberal tech firms have lost the plot. Grubhub CEO said yesterday that any Trump supporting employees should resign.

Erm. That violates hostile workplace law and discrimination laws. It's a publicity quoted company. Their corporate lawyers must be having a mare this morning.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Ed was seen as joke by every demographic in the country. A lot of my friends who like me, are left wing laughed at him most of the time.
  • Options
    edited November 2016

Mr. Urquhart, never heard of that chap, but his show does sound interesting.

He has so many really interesting smart people on. Majid nawaz was excellent, as was surprisingly Stephen fry.
  • Options
    Mr. Mark, just remember, don't punch. Bite. Biting gets you to be director general. Punching stops your contract being renewed.
  • Options
    Ha, ha - so now technology companies are part of the liberal left. Superb!
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,088
    edited November 2016
    And in important matters, a wicket at last 279-2! Pujara c Cook, b Stokes!
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Yes, which is why I think Labour are buggered assuming Nutall wins. He's got the accent and he'll have the policies vs an unpatriotic ultra liberal who wants to have unlimited migration.
    In 20 years time do we have a GOP (UKIP) vs Conservatives (Democrats) situation ?

If UKIP actually become an actual force (And I agree they could do under Nuttall) then I think perhaps the right of the Tories joins them whilst gaining the orange bookers and Blairites. The conservatives are then fighting elections from the LEFT of the political centre, which has itself swing to about Michael Gove !

Just thinking out loud here.
  • Options
    Hmmm

ABC
    Muslim woman in Louisiana who reported Donald Trump-inspired attack admits she made it up, police say. https://t.co/cGuYgKhQIM
  • Options

Alot based on the West coast. Hillary piling on the votes there right now...
  • Options
    Mr. Pulpstar, possible but unlikely. The strategic situation is super for UKIP but they have massive short term tactical problems (they seem to have hatred-ridden factions and their biggest donor might be about to withdraw his support).

If UKIP can hold together a year, they could play a substantial role at the next election.
  • Options
    I see fasil Islam is still spreading the nonsense about the order in which trump phoned world leaders ....in comparison, us media second story last night was trump inviting may to be first to meet trump in person.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @FrancisUrquhart

'I see fasil Islam is still spreading the nonsense about the order in which trump phoned world leaders ....in comparison, us media second story last night was trump inviting may to be first to meet trump in person.'

I usually mute when this clown comes on ,he's just so full of himself.

At least Boulton tried to be impartial.
  • Options
    'Awesome'

https://twitter.com/calmsnbc/status/796909844225736704

Like various Brexiteers, a lot of the Trumpers still seem very angry despite having won. Anyone got a rough timescale for when the anger subsides?
  • Options
    "Note, for example, how Trump picked up so many votes in blue- collar, traditionally Democrat-voting states like Pennsylvania — where the coal industry has been ruined by the fluffy eco-policies advocated by rich liberals like Hillary.

Funny how a blue-collar troubadour like Bruce Springsteen didn’t see that one coming: maybe he should get out of his bubble more.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/2161824/from-cher-to-gaga-trumps-win-shows-weve-tired-of-luvvies-telling-us-what-to-do/
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763

I see fasil Islam is still spreading the nonsense about the order in which trump phoned world leaders ....in comparison, us media second story last night was trump inviting may to be first to meet trump in person.

he really is flogging a dead horse.

Trump didnt phone Merkel, Hollande, Juncker the president of China or any other number of world leaders so his erratic style is just that.
  • Options

I think most voters are like that. A vote is a complicated thing - sometimes positive, often negative, frequently tribal. It can be driven by hate, anger, ignorance, optimism , pessimism, hope, and plenty more besides. Aside from a few big promises - most of which will be abandoned - Trump maintained a (probably deliberately) blank policy canvass. His supporters knew that. But he spoke their language. Whether that will be enough to get him through the next four years with his coalition intact will be interesting to see.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Ed was seen as joke by every demographic in the country. A lot of my friends who like me, are left wing laughed at him most of the time.
    It's easy to say that in retrospect. It wasn't seen like that by a lot of people at the time, not least because virtually no polling pointed to a Con majority and so there was a clear possibility of a Lab minority or Lab-led coalition government.

If these last 14 months have proven anything (apart from the further fallibility of the polls), it's that being laughed at is no barrier to being elected.
  • Options

Trump didnt phone Merkel, Hollande, Juncker the president of China or any other number of world leaders so his erratic style is just that.
    That is exactly what the US media said...he isn't following convention on lots of things...the standard transition team meeting was not the norm.
  • Options
    The reasons for Trump were also the reasons for Brexit

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/nov/10/donald-trump-brexit-us
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461

As long as he visits canada first I don't care who he phones when. Trudeau has issued the invite to come at his earliest opportunity. go donald go.
  • Options

Are you deliberately stupid this morning?

Zuckerberg and Eric Schmidt helped Hillary's campaign directly. They made donations, gave her their private jets and did her database work. Twitter removed every pro Trump trending topic and banned or shadow banned the biggest Trump supporters.
  • Options

Fair play. If Trump had phoned May first, I'm absolutely certain that the PB Brexitrumpers would have seen zero significance in that.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

"Note, for example, how Trump picked up so many votes in blue- collar, traditionally Democrat-voting states like Pennsylvania — where the coal industry has been ruined by the fluffy eco-policies advocated by rich liberals like Hillary.

Funny how a blue-collar troubadour like Bruce Springsteen didn’t see that one coming: maybe he should get out of his bubble more.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/2161824/from-cher-to-gaga-trumps-win-shows-weve-tired-of-luvvies-telling-us-what-to-do/

Brucey doesn't need to look far to see how Trump won

He summed it up well himself !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hxz5hh8GD3w
  • Options

The left have been reduced to talking nonsense in their horror that some may have a completely different World view.

Tom Bradby ITV complains 'The polls are very wrong, they distort the political process, and they are undermining our credibility in the media'. Think he has a serious problem if he relies on polling evidence
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Are you deliberately stupid this morning?

Zuckerberg and Eric Schmidt helped Hillary's campaign directly. They made donations, gave her their private jets and did her database work. Twitter removed every pro Trump trending topic and banned or shadow banned the biggest Trump supporters.

They are people, not companies. Hillary Clinton is not left wing.

• Options
    On topic, whilst Betfair still had a lot wrong (lots of value [still!] about on certainties, and the popular vote market was insane) the main market was at least a lot more sensible than Brexit.
  • Options

That is exactly what the US media said...he isn't following convention on lots of things...the standard transition team meeting was not the norm.
    Thiel is a great guy to have on board. Everything I've read says he's planet sized intellect and business nous. That he really disliked Gawker prying into his own life just convinced him to support Hulk Hogan over that sex tape.
  • Options

The left have been reduced to talking nonsense in their horror that some may have a completely different World view.

Tom Bradby ITV complains 'The polls are very wrong, they distort the political process, and they are undermining our credibility in the media'. Think he has a serious problem if he relies on polling evidence
    I heard that nonsense on some other channels, claiming that because of the polls people didn't turn out for Clinton...I mean really...really...by the time the election came she wasn't beating Trump in the polls by that much and also the clear message from Clinton / friendly media was don't leave it to chance, this man is a danger to the world.
This discussion has been closed.