Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The dramatic moment when after four years as betting favourite

Comments

• Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

I would just like to publicly say that I was clearly wrong when I called the election for Hillary in the early hours of Wednesday morning. I took the exit polls at face value....

Noted and very welcome.

But, the elephant in the room for PB moderators etc is the lack of contrary voices and articles on PB on major matters. We had with Brexit a ratio of at least 3:1 in the views of pro-Remain vs pro-Leave in the articles published. We have now had the USA Presidential elections where the articles seem to have been almost 10:1* for a Clinton win. This is not the Guardian.

We need more diversity in the articles.

* I may be exagerating but that is what it feels like.
    While that's true, Mike can only publish the articles people write for him. Plato, for example, wrote a lot of comments, but I don't believe she wrote an article.
    Thank you for the response. But perhaps asking specific people who post views contrary to the "settled view" of most of the moderators and the main authors, should be done?
    1. Articles written from someone who is pro-May would be a start. (I am not very pro-May). 2. Also articles from a viewpoint that is pro-Brexit.
    3. Re-start the PB annual forecast.
    4. What will Phillip Hammond do?
    There has always been a fairly balanced discussion below the line, whatever the header.
    Well I think if Le Pen is only 2-3 points behind in the polls and she is promising an EU referendum while Juppé isn't, I'd like to do a header on why she'll win and take France out of the EU.
    If she does, it would be potentially more significant long term than either Brexit or Trump. Can't see how the EU could possibly survive a frexit
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited November 2016

Speaking as a thread header writer, I find that very often articles aren't read at all and the discussion below the line proceeds on the basis of what the poster assumes was written as opposed to what was actually written. Some posters are exceptionally keen to find something to cause them offence, whether or not the ground for being offended actually exists.

Of course that is true but, the really valuable articles are ones that make a person stop and think and see a matter through a different light. I can read biased, badly written opinion pieces from uninformed hacks every day in our national newspapers. I come to PB for things that make me stop and question what I believe or even provides evidence to support a conclusion I was leaning towards. I have only ever written one PB article. One which questioned Cameron's deviation from the Harold Wilson approach to european referendums.
  • Options

Speaking as a thread header writer, I find that very often articles aren't read at all and the discussion below the line proceeds on the basis of what the poster assumes was written as opposed to what was actually written. Some posters are exceptionally keen to find something to cause them offence, whether or not the ground for being offended actually exists.

Of course that is true but, the really valuable article s are ones that make a person stop and think and see a matter through a different light. I can read biased, badly written opinion pieces from uninformed hacks every day in our national newspapers. I come to PB for things that make me stop and question what I believe or even provides evidence to support a conclusion I was leaning towards. I have only ever written one PB article. One which questioned Cameron's deviation from the Harold Wilson approach to european referendums.
    I agree with you there. Easier said than done though.

With the benefit of hindsight, I'm only satisfied with about half a dozen or so of my thread headers.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

Actually Dixie Notch midnight result was:

Hillary Clinton 4, Donald Trump 2, Gary Johnson 1 -- and a single write-in surprise: Mitt Romney.

according to CNN.

If you look at all of the towns in the midnight voting Trump won easily a huge swing from Obama to Trump.

New England is on the verge of going to GOP.

(((Harry Enten)))
    (((Harry Enten))) – Verified account ‏@ForecasterEnten

Number 3 for movement towards the GOP was Iowa (no surprise there), but 4 & 5 were Rhode Island and Maine. Four of top five not midwest.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,526
    Pulpstar said:
    lol @ "You can see where this is going. By then animals will have been granted human rights and a fuckin’ hamster is going to be running the country. This has to stop!"
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    PlatoSaid said:

For Megyn fans - there's an interesting bit on exec fiat too. And some very silly numpties.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sj10SORMNyw

Now I have a new word, thanks to Kellyanne - 'wrist flickers'
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,634
    nunu said:

Hillary Clinton 4, Donald Trump 2, Gary Johnson 1 -- and a single write-in surprise: Mitt Romney.

according to CNN.

If you look at all of the towns in the midnight voting Trump won easily a huge swing from Obama to Trump.

(((Harry Enten)))

Number 3 for movement towards the GOP was Iowa (no surprise there), but 4 & 5 were Rhode Island and Maine. Four of top five not midwest.
    The GOP is becoming the party of whites. I posted a 2020 strategy based on that idea, Trump has started something the Dems may not be able to stop.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154

I am surprised that no one has commented yet on the major political statement today.

Tim Farron has stated that the Lib Dems will vote against Article 50 unless there is a referendum on the final Brexit deal.

http://www.libdemvoice.org/tim-farron-unless-the-government-agrees-to-a-referendum-on-the-final-brexit-deal-the-party-will-vote-against-article-50-52425.html

Political earthquake!!!

Yawn....

Wake me up when Farron commits the LibDems to rejoining the EU, even if that means the Euro, the European Army, common tax rates, etc etc etc. Otherwise, I'll treat him as Ed Milliband's replacement as Westminster's Opportunistic Little Shit.
  • Options

New parlour game for next 4 years (well, maybe 4 years), which tweets are from the Android & which from the iPhone.

https://twitter.com/hugorifkind/status/797040860588294144

Is Trump a gemini or something?
  • Options

according to CNN.

As I recall if you looked at the 3 early voting districts in NH in total actually the results did not look for Hillary.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

I would just like to publicly say that I was clearly wrong when I called the election for Hillary in the early hours of Wednesday morning. I took the exit polls at face value....

Noted and very welcome.

But, the elephant in the room for PB moderators etc is the lack of contrary voices and articles on PB on major matters. We had with Brexit a ratio of at least 3:1 in the views of pro-Remain vs pro-Leave in the articles published. We have now had the USA Presidential elections where the articles seem to have been almost 10:1* for a Clinton win. This is not the Guardian.

We need more diversity in the articles.

* I may be exagerating but that is what it feels like.
    While that's true, Mike can only publish the articles people write for him. Plato, for example, wrote a lot of comments, but I don't believe she wrote an article.
    Thank you for the response. But perhaps asking specific people who post views contrary to the "settled view" of most of the moderators and the main authors, should be done?
    1. Articles written from someone who is pro-May would be a start. (I am not very pro-May). 2. Also articles from a viewpoint that is pro-Brexit.
    3. Re-start the PB annual forecast.
    4. What will Phillip Hammond do?
    There has always been a fairly balanced discussion below the line, whatever the header.
    Well I think if Le Pen is only 2-3 points behind in the polls and she is promising an EU referendum while Juppé isn't, I'd like to do a header on why she'll win and take France out of the EU.
    If she does, it would be potentially more significant long term than either Brexit or Trump. Can't see how the EU could possibly survive a frexit
    It wouldn't. The EU would be finished if France left and I think that is now a door that had opened. Le Pen will campaign on Frexit and Frexit alone, Juppé will either have to offer a vote or he'll lose the election IMO. A vote which may be won by leave under Juppé or guaranteed under Le Pen.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

I was out last night with some colleagues at dinner, from a variety of specialities.

Not a cheerful bunch, and with a variety of concerns. Last year GO topped up the NHS deficit via raiding the training and capital budgets to top up the acute Trusts, and the consequences of that are filtering through. The decline in standards is continous, and threatens British medicine in its entirety, as private hospitals do no training, relying on staff trained in the NHS. British nurse training is dire and makes medical education look sound. The NHS needs to train constantly to replenish staff who leave. The rota gaps are approaching unbridgeable stages.

It is not simple cutting senior management, unless you get rid of the targets and CQC and similar things that they have to report on. I do not see an easy solution.

I do not believe there is an easy solution, but a solution no matter how hard has to be found, and properly thought through and properly funded.

The reason I suggested sacking all the non-medical senior management is not to save money or the usual business process reasons but because most of them seem utterly incompetent. They are presiding over failure whilst being paid very substantial salaries.

I went to see my osteopath yesterday and she tells me that she was a trained ITU nurse before giving up on the NHS, not because she disliked nursing but she could no longer put up with the way she was managed and serious sums of money were wasted by idiots who did not know what they were talking about and would not listen to the staff who did. So she left and retrained for three years as an osteopath. How did she fund herself through those three years by working as an agency nurse in an A&E unit at weekends working double shifts where she was paid three times the amount a NHS nurse would receive for doing the same job, plus the agency took its wack out of the NHS on top. Furthermore, and this is the crippler, every nurse in that A&E, save the sister, were agency nurses. What sort of management allows that situation to develop? Only a grossly incompetent one.

Her comments on modern nurse training are unrepeatable on a site where young people may be reading.

Someone needs to do some serious thinking.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383

Of course that is true but, the really valuable articles are ones that make a person stop and think and see a matter through a different light. I can read biased, badly written opinion pieces from uninformed hacks every day in our national newspapers. I come to PB for things that make me stop and question what I believe or even provides evidence to support a conclusion I was leaning towards. I have only ever written one PB article. One which questioned Cameron's deviation from the Harold Wilson approach to european referendums.
    I read most of Antifrank's articles - and then stopped after he morphed in Mr Meeks. Being called a stupid, racist, xenophobic, homophobe Little Englander for the Nth time over 25 paragraphs really isn't a way to engage an audience.

There's no insight there - just appalling smug prejudice.
  • Options
    wasdwasd Posts: 276
    IanB2 said:

Pulpstar said:
    lol @ "You can see where this is going. By then animals will have been granted human rights and a fuckin’ hamster is going to be running the country. This has to stop!"
    https://web.archive.org/web/20161110143406/http://michaelmoore.com/trumpwillwin/

Cached copy for those of us getting gateway errors.
  • Options
    GasmanGasman Posts: 132
    Patrick said:

It is not simple cutting senior management, unless you get rid of the targets and CQC and similar things that they have to report on. I do not see an easy solution.

As a system grows it becomes less and susceptible to be managed. The required complexity is simply beyond human control. There's the famous story of a Russian diplomat in London in the early 70s being amazed at the offering in a local bakery and asking who was in charge of bread in London - getting the astonishing answer 'nobody - it's a free market'. The health needs of a country of 60m people is a tad more complex than the London bread market! It's literally not manageable. Unfortunately the NHS has also morphed into a religion. Labour drones line up to promise no more privatisation. we need to accept that if managed as a Stalinist central blob we'll get a Stalinist central blob, with the quality and efficiency that implies. The only way the health system can really hum and be efficient is as a market. Paid for by tax but a market for delivery. Even the bloody French have worked this out. But not us in NHS religionland.

I think you're pretty much right there.

My view is that the letters "NHS" are the biggest barrier to improving healthcare in this country, for two reasons:

1) Far too much effort is put into "saving the NHS", when we shouldn't care about the NHS, we should care about the standard of healthcare people receive when they need it.

2) Political control of the whole system is a bad idea - despite common belief, politicians are not cleverer than anyone else and don't know what another person wants or needs better than that person themselves. Any change to the NHS results in campaigns to prevent it, and means that things go in circles - see fundholding going away then coming back as choose and book.

The NHS needs re-naming as a matter of urgency, just to break the spell. And someone needs to be brave enough to say that it doesn't work, it isn't the envy of the world and there is a better way possible. It is quite possible to have the taxpayer paying for healthcare without also running every hospital.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    edited November 2016
    MaxPB said:

I am surprised that no one has commented yet on the major political statement today.

Tim Farron has stated that the Lib Dems will vote against Article 50 unless there is a referendum on the final Brexit deal.

http://www.libdemvoice.org/tim-farron-unless-the-government-agrees-to-a-referendum-on-the-final-brexit-deal-the-party-will-vote-against-article-50-52425.html

What can we say?

Even the Labour Party managed not to fall into this Heffalump Trap.
    The referendum he proposes is impossible.
    Doesn't a no vote mean we just crash out with no deal? That seems a bit mad to me.
    Yes - the only possible referendum is deal or no deal. Farron is proposing deal or stay in, which isn't possible.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

nunu said:

according to CNN.

(((Harry Enten)))

The GOP is becoming the party of whites. I posted a 2020 strategy based on that idea, Trump has started something the Dems may not be able to stop.
    What? Trump had a smaller % of Whites - or am I mistaken? He got more Blacks and Latinos/Hispanics than Romney.

If he gets this right - he'll convert a bunch more Blacks and L/H to the GOP.
  • Options

What can we say?

So what? Promising the impossible seems to be what wins votes these days. The currency of modern politics is emotional appeal, not facts.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,010
    Politico reports on how Trump has most likely blown it in crucial swing states.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/09/swing-state-republicans-dump-on-trump-228815

In front of the largest televised debate audience ever, Donald Trump blew it.

Swing-state Republicans expressed frustration at his Monday night performance, characterizing it as a series of missed opportunities to move the dial in the places that will matter most to his electoral fortunes in November.

Name-checking battleground states like Michigan and Ohio was a wise move, state and local GOP leaders said. And Trump’s message on trade resonates in industrial areas across the Rust Belt, from Pennsylvania to Wisconsin. But above all else, Republican officials and operatives lamented his lack of preparation and failure to reach persuadable voters, especially women and GOP-leaners who are not yet sold on him.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Sean_F said:

Just as a bit of fun, if the States elected delegates by PR to the ECV, I think the result would be:-

Trump 266,
    Clinton 265,
    Johnson 5,
    Stein 1,
    McMullin 1.

I was going to work this one out at lunch time for 2012, given the final tallies aren't in for 2016 I didn't want to spend time on it yet.
  • Options

I agree. Worth a thread on its own. No need to write the article just publish the LD quotes. Is this the LD charge of the Light Brigade?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Politico reports on how Trump has most likely blown it in crucial swing states.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/09/swing-state-republicans-dump-on-trump-228815

In front of the largest televised debate audience ever, Donald Trump blew it.

Swing-state Republicans expressed frustration at his Monday night performance, characterizing it as a series of missed opportunities to move the dial in the places that will matter most to his electoral fortunes in November.

Name-checking battleground states like Michigan and Ohio was a wise move, state and local GOP leaders said. And Trump’s message on trade resonates in industrial areas across the Rust Belt, from Pennsylvania to Wisconsin. But above all else, Republican officials and operatives lamented his lack of preparation and failure to reach persuadable voters, especially women and GOP-leaners who are not yet sold on him.

Without being rude - Politico has ZERO credibility with me now post Wikileaks. Asking the DNC for article approval...
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

MaxPB said:

nunu said:

according to CNN.

(((Harry Enten)))

What? Trump had a smaller % of Whites - or am I mistaken? He got more Blacks and Latinos/Hispanics than Romney.

I mean in terms of identity rather than votes. The Dems are already seen as the party of foreigners and gays, the GOP are now going to be the party of whites and straights. Horrible to think about it like that, but the Liberal left are reaping what they have sowed. The Dems have concentrated so hard on trying to offer something to each minority group they forgot about white voters who previously had no reason to identify as a group or voting block.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

MaxPB said:

nunu said:

according to CNN.

(((Harry Enten)))

Or did he? Seems to be some info coming in about the use of these exit poll numbers for sub-sets of population.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/latino-decisions/lies-damn-lies-and-exit-p_b_12903492.html

Probably too early to make final judgement on all this.
  • Options
    Trump starting to water down trade pledges:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37947311
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,005
    MaxPB said:

nunu said:

according to CNN.

(((Harry Enten)))

Trump did no better with whites than Romney did (he did do a bit better among minorities than Romney did).

But, he did considerably better than Romney among working class whites in the North East and Mid West, while falling back among better off whites. Both Maine and Rhode Island have large working class white populations.
  • Options
    I thought this would be helpful re those wondering what The Donald will be doing next.

Sean Hannity is totally plugged into Trump - they talk everyday and he's cheerlead for him. His show is a window on what's going on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sTrR_dqTeA
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

MaxPB said:

nunu said:

according to CNN.

(((Harry Enten)))

A REALLY shrewd move would be Trump granting an amnesty for those Hispanics and others who have been in the US illegally for say five years, as long as they have a clean criminal record and a job. Whilst building the wall.

Four years time - landslide.
  • Options

Mr Trump has an extensive stable of more than 500 businesses, including glitzy hotels and casinos.
    "His having a financial empire ironically could be what saves us from disaster," Prof Painter said. "[Policies] that would destroy trade would destroy his businesses."
    He said Mr Trump's campaign trail pronouncements should be taken with a pinch of salt, and were aimed at appealing to the US electorate.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    MaxPB said:

nunu said:

according to CNN.

(((Harry Enten)))

Max, I wrote something to that effect in 2010 here on PB when Carville's book '40 More Years' came out. My point was that, if the Dems shifted their focus towards the growing demographic groups, they would necessarily alienate some of their traditional white voters who would be ripe for the GOP picking. And that the corollary of that was that, apart from special interest groups and ultra liberals, the white vote would increasingly go to the GOP.
  • Options
    Gasman said:

Patrick said:

As a system grows it becomes less and susceptible to be managed. The required complexity is simply beyond human control. There's the famous story of a Russian diplomat in London in the early 70s being amazed at the offering in a local bakery and asking who was in charge of bread in London - getting the astonishing answer 'nobody - it's a free market'. The health needs of a country of 60m people is a tad more complex than the London bread market! It's literally not manageable. Unfortunately the NHS has also morphed into a religion. Labour drones line up to promise no more privatisation. we need to accept that if managed as a Stalinist central blob we'll get a Stalinist central blob, with the quality and efficiency that implies. The only way the health system can really hum and be efficient is as a market. Paid for by tax but a market for delivery. Even the bloody French have worked this out. But not us in NHS religionland.

I think you're pretty much right there. My view is that the letters "NHS" are the biggest barrier to improving healthcare in this country, for two reasons:
    .......SNIP..............
    The NHS needs re-naming as a matter of urgency, just to break the spell.........
    A quick start down that road is simply to call its parts what they are.
    English Health Service
    Scottish Health Service
    Welsh Health Service
    There is no NHS these days.
  • Options

Bush surrogate says Trump should water down trade remarks. Would be much more accurate. Trump hasn't said or done anything.
  • Options
    I should not laugh.
  • Options
    The reports of "Go home!" "Speak English!" incidents in America have started.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

I read most of Antifrank's articles - and then stopped after he morphed in Mr Meeks. Being called a stupid, racist, xenophobic, homophobe Little Englander for the Nth time over 25 paragraphs really isn't a way to engage an audience.

I would have kept the pseudonym. The risk with using your real name is that everything just gets a bit more personal.
  • Options
    GasmanGasman Posts: 132

Gasman said:

Patrick said:

I think you're pretty much right there. My view is that the letters "NHS" are the biggest barrier to improving healthcare in this country, for two reasons:
    The NHS needs re-naming as a matter of urgency, just to break the spell.........
    English Health Service
    Scottish Health Service
    Welsh Health Service
    I'm well aware I work in the English NHS, but that split has been done in everything BUT name! The problem is still there as things stand. Unfortunately I don't think there is any healthcare solution which is both politically and economically possible at the moment. Chucking more money in isn't the solution.
  • Options

To be honest i don't expect very much different from Trump.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

MaxPB said:

nunu said:

according to CNN.

(((Harry Enten)))

A REALLY shrewd move would be Trump granting an amnesty for those Hispanics and others who have been in the US illegally for say five years, as long as they have a clean criminal record and a job. Whilst building the wall.

Four years time - landslide.
    I've read a few pieces suggesting that if Trump can come up with the 'right criteria' for some illegals - he can change this traditionally Dem voting demographic to the GOP for years. It's the smart move.

He instantly creates a dividing line between the decent and the unwelcome. No one is going to cry about deporting criminals who sucked on the teat of welfare.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

MaxPB said:

nunu said:

according to CNN.

(((Harry Enten)))

Trump did no better with whites than Romney did (he did do a bit better among minorities than Romney did).

But, he did considerably better than Romney among working class whites in the North East and Mid West, while falling back among better off whites. Both Maine and Rhode Island have large working class white populations.
    Part of that is losing the traditional white collar GOP to Clinton and Johnson. I think if Trump runs in 2020 that will unwind and he could win a landslide and flip a few New England states. Assuming the Dems put forwards someone like Warren.
  • Options

Point of order: That is some people not in the Trump camp suggesting he'll water down trade pledges. That is categorically not "Trump starting to water down trade pledges". They may be right but ma\y be wrong, take with salt.
  • Options

What can we say?

It wouldn't be impossible; it would be absurd.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

I would have kept the pseudonym. The risk with using your real name is that everything just gets a bit more personal.
    Being potentially identifiable is however an effective brake on posting stuff that you really shouldn't (except possibly in Primrose Hill).
  • Options
    Hmm Biggest swing to the Dems could be in ... California.

Talk about piling up the votes where you don't need em !
  • Options
    MTimT said:

MaxPB said:

nunu said:

according to CNN.

(((Harry Enten)))

Max, I wrote something to that effect in 2010 here on PB when Carville's book '40 More Years' came out. My point was that, if the Dems shifted their focus towards the growing demographic groups, they would necessarily alienate some of their traditional white voters who would be ripe for the GOP picking. And that the corollary of that was that, apart from special interest groups and ultra liberals, the white vote would increasingly go to the GOP.
    Absolutey. The Dems are reaping what they have sowed by playing the identity politics game. If white voters start to vote as a block for the GOP how do the Dems ever get back into power without alienating their ultra liberal base or theit black and Hispanic base?
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

I think we now have learnt twice that in the current political environment hard information and even good anecdata are worth alot more than opinions ,particularly opinions from liberals.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763
    IanB2 said:

I suppose it makes a change from the "dont speak about race", "take a paycut" mantra of the last 20 years.

• Options
    IanB2 said:

Because they've never happened before?
  • Options
    Gasman said:

Patrick said:

My view is that the letters "NHS" are the biggest barrier to improving healthcare in this country, for two reasons:

1) Far too much effort is put into "saving the NHS", when we shouldn't care about the NHS, we should care about the standard of healthcare people receive when they need it.

2) Political control of the whole system is a bad idea - despite common belief, politicians are not cleverer than anyone else and don't know what another person wants or needs better than that person themselves. Any change to the NHS results in campaigns to prevent it, and means that things go in circles - see fundholding going away then coming back as choose and book.

The NHS needs re-naming as a matter of urgency, just to break the spell. And someone needs to be brave enough to say that it doesn't work, it isn't the envy of the world and there is a better way possible. It is quite possible to have the taxpayer paying for healthcare without also running every hospital.
    That's back to front. Just about any reform could be pushed through *providing* that the name NHS is kept.

On point 2, there has to be political control because there has to be political accountability for the spending of over £100bn pa and the policy choices that come with that.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    MaxPB said:

MTimT said:

MaxPB said:

nunu said:

according to CNN.

(((Harry Enten)))

Absolutey. The Dems are reaping what they have sowed by playing the identity politics game. If white voters start to vote as a block for the GOP how do the Dems ever get back into power without alienating their ultra liberal base or theit black and Hispanic base?
    But we should be careful not to learn the wrong lessons.

What we are seeing in almost all democracies is that traditional political loyalties are weakening; the reasons have been well rehearsed. Surely it follows from this, not that one particular perspective is doomed for all time, but that things that changed quickly in one way can just as easily change quickly in another? (edit/ and that however things change, an awful lot of people won't see it coming).
  • Options
    MTimT said:

MaxPB said:

nunu said:

according to CNN.

(((Harry Enten)))

I assume that after Tuesday's result I will be able to pick up Carville's book in my local Oxfam 'Sale' bin for 50p.
  • Options
    New Hampshire and Arizona now settled.

Clinton unbackable for PV.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Charles said:

What you need to remember is that a lot of GOP voters (e.g. in OC) voted for Johnson over Trump.

*If* Trump proves to be sensible over the next 4 years the slate will be wiped clean in terms of the historical sexism etc and so he could get 2m+ additional votes relatively easily. They probably are in the wrong places (CA and TX for instance) to help in the ECV but you need to be careful not to underestimate his potential starting point

Again 'Trump' and 'sensible' in the same sentence. Can he do that, see my earlier post about a golf course in Scotland and his actions there.
    And again you have ignored the conditionality.

this time i put *asterixes* and everything around it too.
  • Options
    Good afternoon, everyone.

Mr. Charles, asterisks*, unless we're speaking of magically-enhanced Gauls.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,172
    Pulpstar said:

How many more votes are left to be counted? Is it out of the question that Trump will be able to say he got more votes than Romney?
  • Options
    Have PP settle on Stein?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

How many more votes are left to be counted? Is it out of the question that Trump will be able to say he got more votes than Romney?
    Racing cert that he will I think.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,375

I agree. Worth a thread on its own. No need to write the article just publish the LD quotes. Is this the LD charge of the Light Brigade?
    No, it's identity politics. There is a Hard Remainer vote out there that is substantially bigger than the 6-8% share of the polls that the LDs get at the moment. They want maximum obstructionism and any legal means to disrupt and ultimately defeat withdrawal. There is nothing immoral about that - people with a minority view (e.g. Tory MPs who supported fox-hunting, to take a relatively trivial example) will often do just that. The hardcore is not attracted to Labour, which is necessarily more inclined to acknowledge the result to avoid infuriating its other voters. If Farron can mop them up, the LDs could hope for say 15%, and would see that as a big recovery.

His problem is that nobody is really listening to him and there is still an element of scepticism about anything the LibDems say.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Well the Latino New York Times reporter whose account I saw - and tried but failed to find a way to put into a post on here - said that in all her years in the US nothing like that had happened to her before. As did a lot of the post-Brexit victims of similarly abusive public remarks.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Should do, there are a lot of postal ballots still to count. Trump should beat Romney by a fair amount in the end, puts paid to the idea that he did worse than Romney overall.
  • Options
    edited November 2016

No, it's identity politics. There is a Hard Remainer vote out there that is substantially bigger than the 6-8% share of the polls that the LDs get at the moment. They want maximum obstructionism and any legal means to disrupt and ultimately defeat withdrawal. There is nothing immoral about that - people with a minority view (e.g. Tory MPs who supported fox-hunting, to take a relatively trivial example) will often do just that. The hardcore is not attracted to Labour, which is necessarily more inclined to acknowledge the result to avoid infuriating its other voters. If Farron can mop them up, the LDs could hope for say 15%, and would see that as a big recovery.

His problem is that nobody is really listening to him and there is still an element of scepticism about anything the LibDems say.
    They do, nevertheless, already have the declared support of David Lammy, Owen Smith, and the SDLP.

edit/ the PB post should really be a counter-factual as to where Labour would be had the Owen beaten the Corby!
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Well the Latino New York Times reporter whose account I saw - and tried but failed to find a way to put into a post on here - said that in all her years in the US nothing like that had happened to her before. As did a lot of the post-Brexit victims of similarly abusive public remarks.
    I honestly don't believe a word about this from anyone. When it's on video or subject to police scrutiny - then I'll pay attention.
  • Options
    Gasman said:

Gasman said:

Patrick said:

English Health Service
    Scottish Health Service
    Welsh Health Service
    I'm well aware I work in the English NHS, but that split has been done in everything BUT name! The problem is still there as things stand. Unfortunately I don't think there is any healthcare solution which is both politically and economically possible at the moment. Chucking more money in isn't the solution.
    How can you be sure that chucking more money in isn't the solution?

Given that we spend a lower proportion of GDP per capita on healthcare than most other first world countries (especially those offering good healthcare), the obvious conclusion would be that chucking more money in is exactly what we need to do!
  • Options
    Fox
    .@Reince: Americans decided to put Republicans in control of the House, Senate & White House; now we have to execute the will of the people. https://t.co/vtRVCBYc66
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,187
    MaxPB said:

MTimT said:

MaxPB said:

nunu said:

according to CNN.

(((Harry Enten)))

Trump lost white college educated women, Romney won them. Unless he effectively ends immigration completely the Hispanic population in the US will also continue to grow even if the rate of growth slows down. If a few more millenials and minorities had turned out for Hillary in the swing states as they did for Obama she would have narrowly won. It is mainly about which sides voters come out it was white working class turnout and increased voteshare in that demographic compared to 2012 which won it for Trump
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    PlatoSaid said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

I honestly don't believe a word about this from anyone. When it's on video or subject to police scrutiny - then I'll pay attention.
    That isn't really helpful. In the UK (where there are plenty of videos on YouTube of such incidents) I have met several such people and see no reason not to believe their accounts.

You really don't need to read that much history to understand how the peddling of certain views by prominent politicians can legitimise unpleasant actions from a minority of a population.
  • Options

Gasman said:

Patrick said:

That's back to front. Just about any reform could be pushed through *providing* that the name NHS is kept.

On point 2, there has to be political control because there has to be political accountability for the spending of over £100bn pa and the policy choices that come with that.
    Who is in charge of the NHS in Scotland? Hunt or the SNP Govt.
    Who is in charge of Welsh... English... etc
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    PlatoSaid said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Funny how that standard doesn't apply to the most of what you retweet
  • Options

Gasman said:

Gasman said:

Patrick said:

English Health Service
    Scottish Health Service
    Welsh Health Service
    How can you be sure that chucking more money in isn't the solution?

Given that we spend a lower proportion of GDP per capita on healthcare than most other first world countries (especially those offering good healthcare), the obvious conclusion would be that chucking more money in is exactly what we need to do!
    New Labour's experience isn't however tremendously reassuring in this regard?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

After all the made up stories I'm not really sure I believe this stuff anymore.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-37948543

I remember at the time this was supposed to be a hate crime, now it's just made up guff.
  • Options

Gasman said:

Patrick said:

The government spends £160bn pa on welfare. Are you arguing that there should be political control of what the recipients spend the money on?
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

MTimT said:

MaxPB said:

nunu said:

according to CNN.

(((Harry Enten)))

Trump lost white college educated women, Romney won them. Unless he effectively ends immigration completely the Hispanic population in the US will also continue to grow even if the rate of growth slows down. If a few more millenials and minorities had turned out for Hillary in the swing states as they did for Obama she would have narrowly won. It is mainly about which sides voters come out it was white working class turnout and increased voteshare in that demographic compared to 2012 which won it for Trump
    Even more important is WHERE the growth is. If most of the Hispanic growth is concentrated in uncompetitive states like CA and TX then it won't change anything.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

MTimT said:

MaxPB said:

nunu said:

according to CNN.

(((Harry Enten)))

Hmm AIUI Trump won with white women and college educated white women, but lost so heavily with black and Hispanic women that he lost with women overall. Those estimates are also based on the exit poll which was Clinton +3 the result is Clinton +0.5.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

MTimT said:

MaxPB said:

nunu said:

according to CNN.

(((Harry Enten)))

Hmm AIUI Trump won with white women and college educated white women, but lost so heavily with black and Hispanic women that he lost with women overall. Those estimates are also based on the exit poll which was Clinton +3 the result is Clinton +0.5.
    It'll end up Clinton +1.2 or so.

Exit poll similiar tale to Israel, and GE2015 here.

Shy right wingers.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    PlatoSaid said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Any attempt at rational dialogue in the US is being undermined more and more by hoaxes and false reporting.

The exaggerations and outright lies are tiresome now and very unhelpful.
  • Options

What can we say?

It wouldn't be impossible; it would be absurd.
    I think a Noel Edmonds referendum would be absurd. But a deal-or-stay-in? How can Parliament call that referendum when one option is literally not an option?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

MTimT said:

MaxPB said:

nunu said:

according to CNN.

(((Harry Enten)))

Even more important is WHERE the growth is. If most of the Hispanic growth is concentrated in uncompetitive states like CA and TX then it won't change anything.
    Good point.

On the demographics I think Trump/the GOP have far more to gain by chipping away at their toxicity in the AA community. It's also the right thing to do.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

MTimT said:

MaxPB said:

nunu said:

according to CNN.

(((Harry Enten)))

Trump lost white female college graduates according to every exit poll, they had voted for Romney in 2012
  • Options
    Wall Street doesn't seem to know whether to go up or down. Everywhere else is down; surely it is only a matter of time before the NYSE gets the message...
  • Options
    Right taken the 1.02 on all the Michigan proxies, just need a declaration now.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

MTimT said:

MaxPB said:

nunu said:

according to CNN.

(((Harry Enten)))

Arizona could go Dem as could even Texas in a decade or two even as the Midwest turns increasingly red, both states saw Trump do worse than Romney did, that would change things significantly
  • Options
    Farron, whilst contemptible, is indicative that there are still some who want to deny, ignore and reverse the referendum result. Don't be complacent, fellow Brexiteers. We have not left yet.
  • Options
    Ooh Still just under £700 to come in from Laddies on Clinton 0-5% and wrong winner.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

MTimT said:

MaxPB said:

nunu said:

according to CNN.

(((Harry Enten)))

Arizona could go Dem as could even Texas in a decade or two even as the Midwest turns increasingly red, both states saw Trump do worse than Romney did, that would change things significantly
    Texas is in play next election.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

edit/ the PB post should really be a counter-factual as to where Labour would be had the Owen beaten the Corby!

But that requires a road trip to the land of Never Gonna Happen.... Why would we want to go there (other than the reality of the here and now is so horrible, you want to escape)?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

MTimT said:

MaxPB said:

nunu said:

according to CNN.

(((Harry Enten)))

Certainly, by 2030 Ohio may no longer be a swing state but safe GOP, Texas may no longer be safe GOP but a swing state
  • Options
    peter_from_putneypeter_from_putney Posts: 6,875
    edited November 2016
    ***** Betting Post *****

There are any number of mug punter bets on offer from the bookies right now appearing under the heading "Donald Trump Specials" on Oddschecker.

These include, by way of example, odds of 5/4 against him winning the 2020 POTUS Election (having held onto your money for 4 long years), 12/1 against Hillary Clinton being the Democratic candidate against him in 2020 or arguably worst of all, 13/8 against Russia being the first State Visit of his presidency .... there are many more equally rubbish bets on offer.

But one real plum of a bet imho which I noticed last night was a 25/1 offering from Betway against "Donald Trump resigning as President before completing a full term." There are any number of possible ways or reasons why such a scenario might come to pass and too many to go into here but I grabbed what I believed to be outstanding value, attempting to invest a tenner to win £250, but those nice folk at Betway would only allow me the curious stake of £4.39 to win £109.75. Still it's definitely a betting slip to put away under lock and key for the future.

Sadly, the bookie appears to have since taken down this offering, but maybe it's worth looking out for its possible reappearance.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

PlatoSaid said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

That isn't really helpful. In the UK (where there are plenty of videos on YouTube of such incidents) I have met several such people and see no reason not to believe their accounts.

You really don't need to read that much history to understand how the peddling of certain views by prominent politicians can legitimise unpleasant actions from a minority of a population.
    Piffle - a Muslim lady claimed she had her hijab pulled off by Trumpers - and later said she lied to police. Another woman said Trump raped her at 13yrs old and then confessed it was all made up.

Politically motivated make-believe is endemic.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

MTimT said:

MaxPB said:

nunu said:

according to CNN.

(((Harry Enten)))

Yes, Clinton won Houston, Dallas, San Antonio and Austin.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Pulpstar said:

Ooh Still just under £700 to come in from Laddies on Clinton 0-5% and wrong winner.

Sadly £1455 due OUT to SPIN on the Trump sell :(
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

MTimT said:

MaxPB said:

nunu said:

according to CNN.

(((Harry Enten)))

Shy right wingers.
    Clinton still up just 0. 3% and Johnson on over 3%
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

MTimT said:

MaxPB said:

nunu said:

according to CNN.

(((Harry Enten)))

Certainly, by 2030 Ohio may no longer be a swing state but safe GOP, Texas may no longer be safe GOP but a swing state
    & Maine safe GOP !
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

MTimT said:

MaxPB said:

nunu said:

according to CNN.

(((Harry Enten)))

Shy right wingers.
    Clinton still up just 0. 3% and Johnson on over 3%
    California.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Sadly £1455 due OUT to SPIN on the Trump sell :(
    Ouch. I feel your pain my friend.
  • Options

Farron, whilst contemptible, is indicative that there are still some who want to deny, ignore and reverse the referendum result. Don't be complacent, fellow Brexiteers. We have not left yet.

Is it so unreasonable to ask for a second referendum before the 2-year period of Article 50 expires? Then, at least, we'll know what we'd be getting and can offer a proper choice. Imagine that we are heading towards the hardest of Brexits, the economy is faltering badly and many are having second thoughts. Would it really make sense to press on regardless under such circumstances?
  • Options
    edited November 2016

PlatoSaid said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Funny how that standard doesn't apply to the most of what you retweet
    Still sniping? Learnt anything?

HINT: Plato was demonstrably correct in assessing the level of incoherent anger that was fuelling the US election. And posting it, for you to assess its impact ON THE US ELECTION. So there was some stuff that was patently bonkers (Hillary body-doubles etc.). The point you should have been taking from her tweets was not that you believed it, but that a swathe of American opinion was so poisoned, IT was prepared to believe it.

Hell, these folk were so riled up, they might even do something REALLY stupid. Like vote in Trump as President...
  • Options

Gasman said:

Patrick said:

Who is in charge of the NHS in Scotland? Hunt or the SNP Govt.
    Who is in charge of Welsh... English... etc
    That is a different question. Indeed, it's proof of my point: the name 'NHS' has been kept despite it being carved up, and not only does no-one really care but many, particularly in the devolved areas, approve.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,756

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

MTimT said:

MaxPB said:

nunu said:

according to CNN.

(((Harry Enten)))

Yes, Clinton won Houston, Dallas, San Antonio and Austin.
    Do the Dems have a real life Matt Santos to run in 2020?
This discussion has been closed.