Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Away from the dramatic political events in the US tonight’s Lo

Comments

• Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,946

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Who is the anti-Trump American woman on the panel?

She is a lecturer at a London university.
    She is really angry, it seems.
    I think that is fine but her behaviour is that of a teenager not getting her way. Rabb was very sensible & she spent the whole time huffing.
    Yup.

Incidentally, I'm finding my mates-who-moved-to-America are FAR angrier than my born-American mates. Most amusing.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    rkrkrk said:

chestnut said:

rkrkrk said:

chestnut said:

rkrkrk said:

chestnut said:

I am starting to feel for those who have spent every day since May 2015 searching for bad news. They thought June would be it, but it seems not.

The churlishness has gone up a notch in the last 24 hours. It appears that some feel threatened and can probably see a successful Brexit.

My guess is that a new free trade area that excludes Mexico (min. wage $4 an hour), Bulgaria and Romania etc (€2 an hour) will very soon appear. The forward path is becoming obvious.

Care to wager on that?
    On what?

The move will be to a free trade area where host nation wages become a factor...
    A new free trade area between Canada, USA and UK and other Western European countries like France, Germany, Spain, Italy etc.

That's what you meant right? Apologies if I misunderstood.
    I doubt very much that the Europeans will play ball - the currency and defence/historic issues are major obstacles.

I suspect that we will see an Anglosphere drive though. Trump makes the US seem more probable as a participant.
    Okay... so that would be UK, Canada, USA, Australia, New Zealand?
    Some of the libertarian Brexit outriders have been going on about CANZUK (i.e. that lot minus the US) for years. I don't suppose that it's impossible, but I'll believe it when I see it.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908

Pulpstar said:

Pong said:
    How much have you got on that market out of interest ?
    I have has to lay a load of 1.01 bets like in New Hampshire and dem under 21 states to take the 1.04s elesewhere. It's absurd but I have all my bank tied up still with this election.
    The tricky one is the Trump 47% market, I had another attempt at calculating it and got about 46.96%, it's very close to be sure.
    Out of interest... what assumptions did you make?
    Did you assume late votes will be equal trump v. clinton split as those already gone?

I'm trying to spreadsheet it at the moment using CNN figures but must be making a mistake as I can't make the totals add up...
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @FrancisUrquhart

'Mortimer">I see Mrs Balls is has a season ticket for the US outrage bus as well as the British outrage bus...

She is going to burst a blood vessel.'

Maybe housing Syrian refugees is too stressful for her.

• Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    This blonde American lady seems like she is about to cry.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited November 2016
    The republican lady again is actually again speaking calmly and making sensible points despite not liking trump...lecturer lady just having a petulant teenage breakdown.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053

Pulpstar said:

Pong said:
    I have has to lay a load of 1.01 bets like in New Hampshire and dem under 21 states to take the 1.04s elesewhere. It's absurd but I have all my bank tied up still with this election.
    The tricky one is the Trump 47% market, I had another attempt at calculating it and got about 46.96%, it's very close to be sure.
    Michigan will surely put Trump over the 47% mark. WTF are they doing there and NH? How many recounts do they need to make a choice?
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

chestnut said:

rkrkrk said:

chestnut said:

rkrkrk said:

chestnut said:

I am starting to feel for those who have spent every day since May 2015 searching for bad news. They thought June would be it, but it seems not.

The churlishness has gone up a notch in the last 24 hours. It appears that some feel threatened and can probably see a successful Brexit.

My guess is that a new free trade area that excludes Mexico (min. wage $4 an hour), Bulgaria and Romania etc (€2 an hour) will very soon appear. The forward path is becoming obvious.

Care to wager on that?
    On what?

The move will be to a free trade area where host nation wages become a factor...
    A new free trade area between Canada, USA and UK and other Western European countries like France, Germany, Spain, Italy etc.

That's what you meant right? Apologies if I misunderstood.
    I doubt very much that the Europeans will play ball - the currency and defence/historic issues are major obstacles.

I suspect that we will see an Anglosphere drive though. Trump makes the US seem more probable as a participant.
    Okay... so that would be UK, Canada, USA, Australia, New Zealand?
    Some of the libertarian Brexit outriders have been going on about CANZUK (i.e. that lot minus the US) for years. I don't suppose that it's impossible, but I'll believe it when I see it.
    Agreed. That's why I'm keen to bet on it!
    Particularly given the comment that it would "very soon appear".
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,071
    How do they manage to find a British audience full of people who can repeat Democratic talking points?
  • Options
    Watching the delightful Dr. Alice Roberts on BBC4 :)
  • Options

The republican lady again is actually again speaking calmly and making sensible points despite not liking trump...lecturer lady just having a petulant teenage breakdown.

The more I see of pro-HRCites, the less surprised I am by this result.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Labour hold Wandsworth Queenstown
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Rabb is easily the best on here...trying to answer the question by adding some value rather than having a temper tantrum.
  • Options

How do they manage to find a British audience full of people who can repeat Democratic talking points?

How come you're a REMAINER yet an avid Trump fan?
  • Options

It's the BBC.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Was Margaret Thatcher judged by "different standards" ?
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

Rabb is easily the best on here...trying to answer the question by adding some value rather than having a temper tantrum.

If Raab C Nesbitt is on, it might be worth tuning in.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,011
    Best video on the left's attitude to Trump (and Brexit) yet
    https://www.facebook.com/JonathanPieReporter/?hc_ref=NEWSFEED&fref=nf
  • Options
    I seemed to remember they didn't half bang on about trumps hair and being a fatty fatty bum bum.
  • Options

How do you think the British electorate would have voted on Clinton vs. Trump?
    Probably 90% Clinton. Among those interested in politics I'd bump that up to 95%....
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Yvette Cooper is no longer do-able. Shame.

No wonder Balls is out dancing!
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Or indeed our current Prime Minister.

Tasmina is one of those people who I could never tire of disagreeing with. The vehemence with which she argues every point is downright hilarious.
  • Options
    Wandsworth - Queenstown

Lab 1551
    Con 987
    Lib Dem 249
    Green 122

• Options
    MikeK said:

SeanT said:

Yvette Cooper is no longer do-able. Shame.

No wonder Balls is out dancing!
    Lets hope that is all he is doing!
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Pulpstar said:

Yes, remember the voice stuff.
  • Options
    This woman is deranged.
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

Probably 90% Clinton. Among those interested in politics I'd bump that up to 95%....
    rkrkrk said:

What is it about your nom de plume that erkerkerks me?
  • Options
    nunu said:

Pulpstar said:

She won though !
  • Options
    Alistair said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Jon Sopel says Trump was 'inspired by Brexit' and saw a path to victory as a result, he was in Scotland the day after the vote. An interview with Trump's trade adviser also confirms a Trump US will seek to do a trade deal with the 'like minded UK' before the EU

I'm intrigued to know what deal could be better for the US, than TPP is.
    Trump has already said he will not sign TPP
    That's my point. If TPP isn't good enough for the US, what trade deal is…?
    The UK imports 9% of its imported goods from the US, a deal with a friendly UK could also be fairly easy to do compared to others on the table and one of the few Trump is likely to have much interest in doing, the others being probably with Israel and Australia and maybe Japan
    What could be changed about TPP to make out better for America?
    Trump is not going to do any trade deal with SouthEast Asia or Latin America
  • Options

Labour hold Wandsworth Queenstown

Lab 1551 Con 987 LD 249 Green 122
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    MaxPB said:

This woman is deranged.

At least you don't have to listen to her for hours a week...some poor sods are going to have to! She doesn't want to listen to anything.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Jon Sopel says Trump was 'inspired by Brexit' and saw a path to victory as a result, he was in Scotland the day after the vote. An interview with Trump's trade adviser also confirms a Trump US will seek to do a trade deal with the 'like minded UK' before the EU

The UK imports 9% of its imported goods from the US, a deal with a friendly UK could also be fairly easy to do compared to others on the table and one of the few Trump is likely to have much interest in doing, the others being probably with Israel and Australia and maybe Japan
    That is who TPP is with: Australia, Japan, New Zealand, and South Korea. It opens up 99% of those markets for US firms, against only 85% in return. It enforces US trade standards on these countries. It requires these countries to keep intellectual property laws in lock step with the US. And it has enforcement through US ISDS tribunals.

There will never be a more favourable trade deal for the US than the TPP. It's with friendly countries, who have strategic interests in common with the US.

if TPP doesn't work for the US, why should a deal with the UK?
    TPP also includes Peru, Vietnam and Mexico, none of whom Trump will include in any free trade deal
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans-Pacific_Partnership
  • Options
    MikeK said:

rkrkrk said:

rkrkrk said:

What is it about your nom de plume that erkerkerks me?
    Sorry!
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

Nowhere near that, maybe about 60 - 40 Clinton.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    houndtang said:

rkrkrk said:

So when Lord Farage sells us out as the 51st state, we might swing the electoral collage Math.
  • Options
    Yvette cooper just dug her own hole there...trying to make a petty point.
  • Options
    houndtang said:

rkrkrk said:

I wouldn't rely on any opinion polls for that.

The shy Trump vote here would be absolubtely massive.
  • Options
    Stupid woman.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    edited November 2016
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

That is who TPP is with: Australia, Japan, New Zealand, and South Korea. It opens up 99% of those markets for US firms, against only 85% in return. It enforces US trade standards on these countries. It requires these countries to keep intellectual property laws in lock step with the US. And it has enforcement through US ISDS tribunals.

There will never be a more favourable trade deal for the US than the TPP. It's with friendly countries, who have strategic interests in common with the US.

Will we get offered a similar deal? forcing competitive tendering by US corporations, adjudicated by courts that we cannot control.

Take back control, my arse!
  • Options
    Shut up about trumps hair...
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

So when Lord Farage sells us out as the 51st state, we might swing the electoral collage Math.

Perhaps that could be Sturgeon's backup post-independence plan. Expand Trump Turnberry into Trumpland.
  • Options
    houndtang said:

rkrkrk said:

This poll suggested 49 - 12 apparently... with presumably a lot of undecideds...
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/nov/06/tenth-of-britons-back-donald-trump-for-president-while-half-back-hillary-clinton
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

houndtang said:

rkrkrk said:

75 seats in the House!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Sunil060902/sandbox
  • Options
    Man, you watch the BBC (and indeed other media) these days and it's like being in a parallel universe.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

TPP also includes Peru, Vietnam and Mexico, none of whom Trump will include in any free trade deal
    Sure, but Mexico and the US already have a free trade agreement (NAFTA), and the TPP is subsidiary to that (that is, when there is conflict between the provisions, the NAFTA ones take precedence). And Peru and Vietnam account for well under one percent of US trade, and score almost zero on the MIT Trade Correlation Index. (I.e., they export almost nothing to each other that is domestically produced.)
  • Options
    Stupid stunt comes back to bite her own the arse....
  • Options
    Who let the taxi driver in?
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Will we get offered a similar deal? forcing competitive tendering by US corporations, adjudicated by courts that we cannot control.

You are looking at TPP terms, which given Trump is ripping up that deal is rather pointless, the US is the largest destination for UK exports, of course we want a trade deal with them
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

houndtang said:

rkrkrk said:

This poll suggested 49 - 12 apparently... with presumably a lot of undecideds...
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/nov/06/tenth-of-britons-back-donald-trump-for-president-while-half-back-hillary-clinton
    Shy Trumpers?
  • Options
    I know why I virtually never watch QT these days!
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

nunu said:

Pulpstar said:

She won though !
    So? Still judged by different standards. Also different system. Tho Clinton would have still lost if she was a man.
  • Options
    William_HWilliam_H Posts: 346
    edited November 2016
    houndtang said:

rkrkrk said:

Yougov poll said 59%-8% to Clinton. 67% though he would make a terrible president, 5% good or great. Clinton got 22% good/great, 42% average, 25% poor/terible

http://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/vuun7hasza/Eurotrack_GB_USElection_Website.pdf
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

You are looking at TPP terms, which given Trump is ripping up that deal is rather pointless, the US is the largest destination for UK exports, of course we want a trade deal with them
    Yes. But TPP is an amazing deal for the US with some of its closest allies. Why would the US say "TPP is not good enough for us, but hey Britain, have a deal that's worse for America"?
  • Options

Jonathan said:

houndtang said:

rkrkrk said:

75 seats in the House!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Sunil060902/sandbox
    Nice!
  • Options
    houndtang said:

rkrkrk said:

houndtang said:

rkrkrk said:

Shy Trumpers?
    However, in a reflection of both candidates’ underlying unpopularity, almost a third of respondents (32%) said they would not vote for either. <- TRUMP
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    rkrkrk said:

Hillary would have won the UK by as big a margin as she won New York state and Massachusetts ie winning around 60%+ at least. In London and Scotland she would have won around 90%+ ie the same margin she won DC. The only places Trump would likely have won would have been parts of Essex and maybe a few industrial towns like Hartlepool and Nuneaton and seaside towns like Great Yarmouth and Blackpool and some rural parts of Yorkshire
  • Options
    Bloody hell she's deranged.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Yes. But TPP is an amazing deal for the US with some of its closest allies. Why would the US say "TPP is not good enough for us, but hey Britain, have a deal that's worse for America"?
    Why would anyone who isn't the US sign up to TPP? I didn't vote to get rid of one master on 23rd June, to get another.
  • Options
    Evergreen tweet just rediscovered by Twitter:
    https://twitter.com/MSmithsonPB/status/640436567354568705
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

Pulpstar said:

Pong said:
    Out of interest... what assumptions did you make?
    Did you assume late votes will be equal trump v. clinton split as those already gone?

I'm trying to spreadsheet it at the moment using CNN figures but must be making a mistake as I can't make the totals add up...
    I assumed the stein and others were the same% but used the Clinton trump difference on remaining votea from the new York time site. Though theh don't seem to be updating it any more very often and others have more up to date totals
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Thank God only a few more minutes....
  • Options
    Horsham Con hold

Con 1046 LD 308 Lab 118 UKIP 109
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Why would anyone who isn't the US sign up to TPP? I didn't vote to get rid of one master on 23rd June, to get another.
    I don't disagree with that. My point is that the US does not do equal trade treaties. It enters into trade treaties where it controls standards and enforcement, and only then when the benefits are overwhelming. Any deal with the UK that was acceptable to Trump and Congress would not - I suspect - be acceptable to the British people.
  • Options

Class.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Class.
    See the polls are right.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

I think she didn't realise that none of use had a vote.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

What is annoying with people like that is they don't want to listen to any view different from their own. Rabb was trying to be pragmatic, diplomatic and sensible and she just huffed and puffed like a child when he spoke.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

You
    I don't disagree with that. My point is that the US does not do equal trade treaties. It enters into trade treaties where it controls standards and enforcement, and only then when the benefits are overwhelming. Any deal with the UK that was acceptable to Trump and Congress would not - I suspect - be acceptable to the British people.
    The British people voted for Brexit, they knew they needed to do deals elsewhere, the US is the largest destination for UK exports
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

No it isn't, it allows yet more cheap imports from and outsourcing to Mexico which was what Trump was raging against
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,284
    Sarah Palin is the obvious choice for Russian ambassador; she could work from home.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    MaxPB said:

Which one ?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Sure, but Mexico and the US already have a free trade agreement (NAFTA), and the TPP is subsidiary to that (that is, when there is conflict between the provisions, the NAFTA ones take precedence). And Peru and Vietnam account for well under one percent of US trade, and score almost zero on the MIT Trade Correlation Index. (I.e., they export almost nothing to each other that is domestically produced.)
    Trump has also suggested ripping up NAFTA, so he is not going to do a similar deal instead
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

Which one ?
    The blonde haired harpie.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

houndtang said:

rkrkrk said:

houndtang said:

rkrkrk said:

Shy Trumpers?
    However, in a reflection of both candidates’ underlying unpopularity, almost a third of respondents (32%) said they would not vote for either. <- TRUMP</p>
    yep makes sense
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Class.
    Hope he lumped on!
  • Options
    nunu said:

rcs1000 said:

Class.
    See the polls are right.
    Even a stopped clock is right twice a day :lol:
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Sarah Palin is the obvious choice for Russian ambassador; she could work from home.

I wouldn't want the job of being her interpreter.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

What is annoying with people like that is they don't want to listen to any view different from their own. Rabb was trying to be pragmatic, diplomatic and sensible and she just huffed and puffed like a child when he spoke.
    As a member of the governing party Raab played a straight bat. Fair enough. The republican lady was reasonable I thought, lots of truth bombs that people just didn't want to listen to. On NATO her points were relevant, its time for Europe to pay up, Raab got applause for that so I'm glad the liberal audience were on board as well.
  • Options
    "Will Britain ever have a black Prime Minister"

Why is this even a question ?

Of course ! If someone is good enough, they'll win.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

STEIN PREDICTION UPDATE!!!!!!

Error in my spreadsheet. She is instead heading for 0.98%, I had accidentally projected Oregon's results with California high percentage of remaining votes to cast

Chillax, Alistair. What will be will be. You can't change it, and it's too late to adjust your position, so there's no point spending any effort, let alone emotion, on figuring out whether it will be a winner or a loser.

Fingers crossed, that's all!
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,801
    Please let this not be a hoax

Ron Perlman for POTUS 2020
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

As a member of the governing party Raab played a straight bat. Fair enough. The republican lady was reasonable I thought, lots of truth bombs that people just didn't want to listen to. On NATO her points were relevant, its time for Europe to pay up, Raab got applause for that so I'm glad the liberal audience were on board as well.
    Donald Trump IMMEDIATELY shifted tone upon becoming POTUS-elect, "crooked Hillary" to "Secretary Clinton" - the Government here of course needs to do the same now.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

What the Hell-boy!!!
  • Options
    Conservatives gain Greenwich by around 60 votes
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

It was from Southend. On Sea. In Essex. south Essex.
  • Options

Oops, I was wrong.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Oops, I was wrong.
    Seems majority was 38
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Still a BBC audience.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

IanB2 said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Still a BBC audience.
    Other than angry taxi driver, not a lot of Only Way Is Essex cast members...
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,801

viewcode said:

What the Hell-boy!!!
    I swear to God if I was American I'd vote for him.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822
    Just catching up with Question Time.

Dear oh dear...
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Dear oh dear...

Don't bother is my advice.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Dear oh dear...

Don't bother mate.
  • Options

Alistair said:

STEIN PREDICTION UPDATE!!!!!!

Error in my spreadsheet. She is instead heading for 0.98%, I had accidentally projected Oregon's results with California high percentage of remaining votes to cast

Chillax, Alistair. What will be will be. You can't change it, and it's too late to adjust your position, so there's no point spending any effort, let alone emotion, on figuring out whether it will be a winner or a loser.

Fingers crossed, that's all!
    The bet was sound, winner or loser.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Oops, I was wrong.
    Seems majority was 38

https://www.twitter.com/Royal_Greenwich/status/796868084569088001
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Don't bother mate.

Have had to turn it off... That American lady ranting and raving was too much to cope with...

• Options
    GIN1138 said:

MaxPB said:

Don't bother mate.

Have had to turn it off... That American lady ranting and raving was too much to cope with...

She didn't get any better...
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    edited November 2016
    Pulpstar said:

Donald Trump IMMEDIATELY shifted tone upon becoming POTUS-elect, "crooked Hillary" to "Secretary Clinton"

It was all fake. In 2008 he was singing her praises, called her a "great Senator", a "wonderful woman", "very smart woman", "very nice person", and Bill Clinton a great President.

He'll dump most of those signature campaign promises the same way.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

MaxPB said:

Don't bother mate.

She didn't get any better...
    Looked like the only one to come out of that car crash was Dom Rabb.... Wonder when Theresa will allow him back into her governments bosom?
This discussion has been closed.