Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » What Trump was Tweeting at WH2012 when it appeared for a time

Comments

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    @JosiasJessop

I'd love to be a fly on the wall if/when Elon Musk meets President Donald J Trump !

"Ok We'll give you the contract, but you're going to have to rename it all the "Trump Dragon" etc"
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Trump will build the wall, obviously Mexico isn't going to wire the funds directly for it.

Rubio and Cruz both supported a wall as well, and there exists a half baked one anyway. Netanyahu has shown that a wall is well possible too. I expect Trump to get along "the best" with Ben.

There's not going to be a wall like the one people picture, it would far exceed the US's infrastructure capability, that's assuming to other infrastructure projects.

It will probably be more money for the broader patrols, new sections in one or two headline places, tougher rhetoric (and no route to citizenship).
    So not a big, tall beautiful, powerful wall? File alongside £350million/week to the NHS.

"Mercifully for Mexico, Trump – who has been dogged by accusations of underpaying or failing to pay suppliers throughout his real estate career – has promised to “build it very inexpensively”. He claims the total cost will reach between $10-12 billion, though the existing 650 miles of fencing has already cost the government more than $7 billion and a Washington Post study estimated the cost at around $25 billion.
    Spanning 1,989 miles (3,201 km) the US-Mexico border is the 10th longest land border in the world "
    http://www.ifsecglobal.com/donald-trumps-big-beautiful-powerful-wall-everything-you-need-to-know/
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @david_kendrick1

'Maybe we can do a thread about the absurd things said about Trump?

I've heard him criticised for 'never standing for any public office before'. I've no idea why that should be a negative.

It does rather re-enforce the unattractive 'specialness' that pro-politicains feel about themselves. And probably contributed to his winning..'

According to some TV interviews with voters,not being a politician was a big plus.

• Options
    Scott_P said:

@iainjwatson: Theresa May will talk to Donald Trump later today says Philip Hammond

@BBCNormanS: The Govt has no "urgent business" to discuss with President Trump says Chancellor Philip Hammond

Back of the queue...

Poor news management from Hammond. Trump's presidency and the spectacularly good trade deal that will result is Farage's great gift to the British nation - shouldn't be sounding so dismissive.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,148
    That 'skyscraper' visualisation showing the margin of victory in each state and comparing with 2012 was brilliant. I'd love to see something similar for UK constituencies.
  • Options
    Trump has one luxury we don't

The US Dollar is still considered the world's reserve currency.

The pound is definitely NOT.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,029
    PClipp said:

taffys said:

"Build the wall." "No." "BUILD THE F*CKIN' WALL!" "NO!"

Trump's......er.....Trump card is remittances. Mexican Americans send USD25bn a year south, if I remember correctly.

How much do American companies based in Mexico send north?
    One of Trumps continual promises regarding NAFTA was the fact its allowed so many jobs that used to be in the USA to be moved south of the border... I think he's continually pointed at General Motors / Ford as examples...
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383

That Morning Joe clip is great.

In a funny way I think Trump's absolute contempt for the media actually contributed to the poor job they did in covering the election. They were so keen to retaliate by painting him as a loser and instead they painted themselves into a corner where they were cut off from their audience.

Formerly known as readers...
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

@JosiasJessop

I'd love to be a fly on the wall if/when Elon Musk meets President Donald J Trump !

"Ok We'll give you the contract, but you're going to have to rename it all the "Trump Dragon" etc"

OK, we'll do that - and you can have the first ride!
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

When is New Hampshire paying out then?

Can Lay Republicans for 250 on Betfair.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

That Morning Joe clip is great.

In a funny way I think Trump's absolute contempt for the media actually contributed to the poor job they did in covering the election. They were so keen to retaliate by painting him as a loser and instead they painted themselves into a corner where they were cut off from their audience.

Formerly known as readers...
    At least I didn't say customers. ;) Actually I was referring to all news media.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,994

Scott_P said:

@iainjwatson: Theresa May will talk to Donald Trump later today says Philip Hammond

@BBCNormanS: The Govt has no "urgent business" to discuss with President Trump says Chancellor Philip Hammond

Back of the queue...

Poor news management from Hammond. Trump's presidency and the spectacularly good trade deal that will result is Farage's great gift to the British nation - shouldn't be sounding so dismissive.
    Agreed, the urgent business is Trump's recent election
  • Options
    Michigan available at 1.02 Rep
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631
    eek said:

PClipp said:

taffys said:

Trump's......er.....Trump card is remittances. Mexican Americans send USD25bn a year south, if I remember correctly.

One of Trumps continual promises regarding NAFTA was the fact its allowed so many jobs that used to be in the USA to be moved south of the border... I think he's continually pointed at General Motors / Ford as examples...
    Ford announced 9000 job losses in the US during the election cycle, jobs that would shift to Mexico.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    ''Poor news management from Hammond. ''

I notice the same people who were chastising May for wishing Trump good luck are now wailing about him not calling us.

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

That spreadsheet is very interesting

You know how we all thought Virginia was looking harder for Clinton on the night than it should have done.

Well in the end it actually swung TOWARDS her.

That indicates a widening rural/urban divide in voting loyalties within the USA.

Also Florida.

For an operation with supposedly no ground game, the pan handle GOP certainly knew it was crucial for them to get out and vote.

After experience with LAB at GE2015 and now HRC on Tuesday I've come to view that bragging about your ground game is a sure sign of a loser.

• Options
    MaxPB said:

eek said:

PClipp said:

taffys said:

Ford announced 9000 job losses in the US during the election cycle, jobs that would shift to Mexico.
    You'd almost think they were on the Trump campaign payroll.
  • Options
    Mr. Glenn, Mr. Dawning, I agree any verdict on either Trump or our departure from the EU is premature.

However, doomsayers were quite content to declare the result of the referendum a disaster the day after the vote...

Also, I don't have time to read this (need to do work) but there's a chap who wants individuals in the UK to be able to be EU citizens:
    https://twitter.com/CharlesGoerens/status/796355854094188544
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @BethRigby: It's telling isn't it that Trump 's spoken to 9 world leaders b4 May. Hardly front of queue Hammond gave good answer at presser, but still..
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

eek said:

PClipp said:

taffys said:

2000 GM jobs loses announced yesterday scheduled for start of 2017.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,091

taffys said:

"Earth sciences/Climatology" is going to be utterly demolished though.

All sorts of jokes going around the web on the 'what do you say to a climate scientist - big mac and fries please' front

BUt there's a serious point here. How much will Trump flay the 'worthy' economy that sucks billions out of the US tax payer. And could a conservative government here copy it?

An anti-science stance will end up costing more.
    I doubt it, for various reasons. For one, it isn't anti-science. For another, the US are not the only people doing Earth science.

As an aside, one US president (I think Johnson, though it might have been Eisenhower) said the Space Race had paid for itself in one way: the US military were constantly over-estimating the amount and capability of Soviet weapons systems. The new satellites disproved these claims, meaning that the US built far fewer planes, missiles and subs than they had planned.

In fact, they proved that one type of plane only had a few in service, whilst the generals had thought there were multiple squadrons: at an Army Day parade the Russians had flown the same planes past again and again!
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

You know how we all thought Virginia was looking harder for Clinton on the night than it should have done.

That indicates a widening rural/urban divide in voting loyalties within the USA.

Also Florida.

For an operation with supposedly no ground game, the pan handle GOP certainly knew it was crucial for them to get out and vote.

After experience with LAB at GE2015 and now HRC on Tuesday I've come to view that bragging about your ground game is a sure sign of a loser.

I think Jack's ARSE need recalibrating since he said the Dem ground game would add 1-2 points on the day. That would have swung PA, MI and WI.
  • Options
    I thought this was rather interesting. The citizen journalist movement has had rocket boosters recently.

I don't know if I agree with it, but it may keep some tempted to remain straight.

https://youtu.be/sAUPZZVwEaY
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@BethRigby: It's telling isn't it that Trump 's spoken to 9 world leaders b4 May. Hardly front of queue Hammond gave good answer at presser, but still..

Perhaps he thinks 'that Nigel guy' is the only Brit of any significance.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited November 2016
  • Options

MaxPB said:

eek said:

PClipp said:

taffys said:

Moving to Mexico as well, I guess. As I said yesterday, kicking Mexico out of NAFTA gives the US industrial heartlands 20 years of breathing room at the expense of inflation, by then we may have figured out how to live in a world where a lot of jobs are going to be automated.
  • Options
    Paul Joseph Watson
    TRUMPOCALYPSE HAS BEGUN! This is dreadful. https://t.co/HQIjbQBC5W

"The rally in U.S. stocks faltered after the Dow Jones Industrial Average rose to an all-time high, as investors speculated gains sparked by assumptions for pro-business policies under Donald Trump went too far too quickly.
  • Options
    ''It's telling isn't it that Trump 's spoken to 9 world leaders b4 May. Hardly front of queue Hammond gave good answer at presser, but still.''

Leaving two hundred or so world leaders who we spoke to before trump

What a juvenile, brainless point, by one of many brainless, chattering parrot commentators who have got just about everything wrong in the past few years.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Scott_P said:

Has he actually spoken to any leader from the G8? Maybe he's looking out for the forgotten nations of the world, as well as the forgotten people in the US. :p

To answer my question, just Japan.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Mr P,

"It's telling isn't it that Trump 's spoken to 9 world leaders b4 May."

How about your mate Farage? I bet Trump and he are besties.
  • Options
    No, a map of counties always looks heavily Republican. This was in no way a landslide.
  • Options
    @MikeSmithsonPB Well I don't think having door knockers can hurt, but you need an overarching simple message, that is more important in today's world of social media than ever.

"Yes we can"
    "Take back control"
    "Salmond's pocket"
    "Make America Great Again"
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,074
    edited November 2016
    taffys said:

The pound's a bit better against the Euro today.

I guess the latter's where the spotlight is going next viz -viz elections

EURUSD has been in a very tight range (1.06-1.14) for a year.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

eek said:

PClipp said:

taffys said:

Moving to Mexico as well, I guess. As I said yesterday, kicking Mexico out of NAFTA gives the US industrial heartlands 20 years of breathing room at the expense of inflation, by then we may have figured out how to live in a world where a lot of jobs are going to be automated.
    Breathing room is the key.

We need a return to political economy and away from econometrics. The understanding that globalisation is a positive in the long-term (and on some measure in the short-term too) needs to be combined with the wisdom that moving too fast undermines the stability of the whole system.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

eek said:

PClipp said:

taffys said:

Wow, announced on election day or the day after? Talk about burying bad news.
  • Options
    CD13 said:

Mr P,

I suspect Farage will end his days as a sad Walter Mitty figure, claiming to have been the éminence grise behind every significant event in his lifetime.
  • Options

Indeed. Whilst I appreciate your points about trade flows, I'm not sure I'd want to be long EUR right now.

The political calendar is such that its integrity will, at some juncture, come into question

• Options
    PlatoSaid said:

taffys said:

Yup - that's what's apparently proposed.
    The thing is that's insanely circumvent-able, unless he's planning to prevent/tax all international money transfers. And bitcoin.
  • Options
    ''I suspect Farage will end his days as a sad Walter Mitty figure, claiming to have been the éminence grise behind every significant event in his lifetime. ''

Like most other politicians, then...
  • Options
    taffys said:

All sorts of jokes going around the web on the 'what do you say to a climate scientist - big mac and fries please' front

BUt there's a serious point here. How much will Trump flay the 'worthy' economy that sucks billions out of the US tax payer. And could a conservative government here copy it?

The first issue Trump faces is that his plans will lead - in the short term at least - to a massive increase in the US budget deficit. Congress will first need to authorise a massive increase in the debt ceiling.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

PlatoSaid said:

taffys said:

The thing is that's insanely circumvent-able, unless he's planning to prevent/tax all international money transfers. And bitcoin.
    For smart people like yourself, but surely the average Mexican worker will just be heading down to the local Western Union shop or using their website ?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,950
    Good afternoon PB from flight EK37, where thanks to modern technology i'm watching Trump's plane on CNN. :)

Is it as cold in UK midlands as i'm expecting, having not been home in the winter for about five years?
  • Options

CD13 said:

Mr P,

I suspect Farage will end his days as a sad Walter Mitty figure, claiming to have been the éminence grise behind every significant event in his lifetime.
    Erm certainly one and a little bit two I'd suggest. Certainly Brexit and a little bit Trump. He gave a super speech late in the trump campaign. Wow! Wow! Wow! was Trump's response as Farage got a massive applause. It will have motivated some to get their asses out of bed and vote Trump. The skyscraper graphic shows how very close things were. Our Nige may have made a difference.
  • Options
    PaganPagan Posts: 259

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

eek said:

PClipp said:

taffys said:

Breathing room is the key.

We need a return to political economy and away from econometrics. The understanding that globalisation is a positive in the long-term (and on some measure in the short-term too) needs to be combined with the wisdom that moving too fast undermines the stability of the whole system.
    Globalisation on the whole is a good thing. The mistake is thinking that the only choice is between what we have now and protectionism. We could use globalisation to our advantage to bring manufacturing back to richer nations
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

PlatoSaid said:

taffys said:

I think transaction charges for money ending in Mexico.
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956
    taffys said:

''I suspect Farage will end his days as a sad Walter Mitty figure, claiming to have been the éminence grise behind every significant event in his lifetime. ''

Like most other politicians, then...

Although unlike any other politician I can think of bar Dan Hannan, Farage will have entered politics with one overriding aim and actually achieved it.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,997

Scott_P said:

That's why the government should ennoble Farage, and make him their special envoy to Washington. He's on close terms with the new administration.
  • Options
    Ooops,

Got that last story wrong: it was Johnson talking about the 'missile gap'.

My post was about the 'bomber gap'. A U2 flight saw twenty Bison Bombers on the ground at an airfield. US generals multiplied this by other airfields to claim that the Soviets had hundreds of Bisons available. Unfortunately, that U2 had caught the entire Russian fleet!
    Adding to the concerns was an infamous event in July 1955. At the Soviet Aviation Day demonstrations at the Tushino Airfield, ten Bison bombers were flown past the reviewing stand, then flew out of sight, quickly turned around, and flew past the stands again with eight more, presenting the illusion that there were 28 aircraft in the flyby. Western analysts extrapolated from the illusionary 28 aircraft, judging that by 1960 the Soviets would have 800.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bomber_gap
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Scott_P said:

That's why the government should ennoble Farage, and make him their special envoy to Washington. He's on close terms with the new administration.
    Good idea tbh.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

taffys said:

The first issue Trump faces is that his plans will lead - in the short term at least - to a massive increase in the US budget deficit. Congress will first need to authorise a massive increase in the debt ceiling.
    We know what he'll spend more on. We know less about where he'll cut. The EPA looks dead-dated. I suspect a bunch of public wasteful spending will quietly get pruned. The US public servant headcount (admin) is likely to fall sharply. QE showers may go in the direction of Main Street instead of Wall Street.
  • Options
    If anyone fancies cashing out of Michigan, I'll happily gobble any 1.02 on the GOP there.
  • Options
    We know what he'll spend more on. We know less about where he'll cut....

Yep...
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Scott_P said:

Unwise. May's going to have enough trouble preventing the Tories from blowing themselves asunder over Brexit. Last thing she'd need is Lord Farage adding to the mayhem.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Sean_F said:

Scott_P said:

Good idea tbh.
    May would have to spend a lot of political capital on such an appointment.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

Also Florida.

I think Jack's ARSE need recalibrating since he said the Dem ground game would add 1-2 points on the day. That would have swung PA, MI and WI.
    Maybe the ground game did and without it it would have been a Trump low out.

We won't know till the campaign tell all's come out
  • Options
    Alistair said:

MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

Also Florida.

And the polls would have been even more wrong!
  • Options
    The BBC would do well to rewatch CNN's coverage of the US election. It was absolutely brilliant & they could learn a thing or two from it.

I hear Fox News was similiarly good.
  • Options
    Trump invites May to visit him as soon as possible.
  • Options

I expect he'll get the full royal treatment here soon, too.
  • Options
    RobD said:

No, a map of counties always looks heavily Republican. This was in no way a landslide.
    In fact, who got more votes?
  • Options

Memo to PM: if you see the president reach for the Tic Tacs, make sure that there's a table between you and him at all times.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

Also Florida.

ARSE has had a bit of a spanking, this year.

One purpose of a good ground game is to report back, in timely manner, about where you're faltering, so that you can start putting in more resources. Given the narrowness with which Michigan, Wisconsin, and Pennsylvania were lost, (and with them, the election) somebody wasn't telling Clinton what she needed to hear.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Trump will build the wall, obviously Mexico isn't going to wire the funds directly for it.

Rubio and Cruz both supported a wall as well, and there exists a half baked one anyway. Netanyahu has shown that a wall is well possible too. I expect Trump to get along "the best" with Ben.

There's not going to be a wall like the one people picture, it would far exceed the US's infrastructure capability, that's assuming to other infrastructure projects.

It will probably be more money for the broader patrols, new sections in one or two headline places, tougher rhetoric (and no route to citizenship).
    There is already a fence along a significant proportion...he could fill in the rest with a "wall" as stage 1 and then still be able to claim he built his wall.
    Has he thought about tunnels?
  • Options
    eek said:

PClipp said:

taffys said:

It is in the interests of the United States that Mexico be as prosperous as possible. No wall (nor the Mediterranean) can protect you from the consequence of a failed state on your border. Sorting out the consequences of a disaster in Mexico (which, would of course, have massive negative impacts on the US financial system) is a lot more expensive than allowing the Mexicans to become richer through trade with the US.
  • Options
    Patrick said:

rcs1000 said:

taffys said:

We know what he'll spend more on. We know less about where he'll cut. The EPA looks dead-dated. I suspect a bunch of public wasteful spending will quietly get pruned. The US public servant headcount (admin) is likely to fall sharply. QE showers may go in the direction of Main Street instead of Wall Street.
    The problem with "public wasteful spending" is that waste is very much in the eye of the beholder. Whilst there are undoubtedly many wasteful schemes, others are deemed wasteful for political reasons when they fulfil a valuable purpose.

However, this is a classic example of $349 million of waste:
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/national/2014/12/15/nasas-349-million-monument-to-its-drift/
  • Options

Memo to PM: if you see the president reach for the Tic Tacs, make sure that there's a table between you and him at all times.
    Don't worry, Farage has already offered to be the responsible adult.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

There is already a fence along a significant proportion...he could fill in the rest with a "wall" as stage 1 and then still be able to claim he built his wall.
    Trump's wall is imaginary. It is as tall as it needs to be, deep as it needs to be, and cheap as it needs to be.
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,736
    rcs1000 said:

taffys said:

Indeed... how will that go down with the deficit hawks / Ron Paul types in the GOP?
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    edited November 2016
    @williamglenn

'I suspect Farage will end his days as a sad Walter Mitty figure, claiming to have been the éminence grise behind every significant event in his lifetime.'

He will be able to claim that he achieved more in terms of significant policy change than the Lib Dems did in 5 years of government.

• Options
    taffys said:

Indeed. Whilst I appreciate your points about trade flows, I'm not sure I'd want to be long EUR right now.

The political calendar is such that its integrity will, at some juncture, come into question

Outside of Italy, the Euro is still remarkably popular. "The Euro is Good for My Country", net positive:

• Options
    Sean_F said:

Alistair said:

MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

Also Florida.

ARSE has had a bit of a spanking, this year.

One purpose of a good ground game is to report back, in timely manner, about where you're faltering, so that you can start putting in more resources. Given the narrowness with which Michigan, Wisconsin, and Pennsylvania were lost, (and with them, the election) somebody wasn't telling Clinton what she needed to hear.
    Following on, that spreadsheet shows how lousy the ground game was. Every State that Clinton gained ground in was useless to her.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Which will be completed first, Trump’s wall or Heathrow’s third runway?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Tunnels are apparently already a problem. Although I doubt that they're on North Korea's scale:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_Tunnel_of_Aggression

Building a wall will be difficult and expensive, given the length and some of the terrain. Building a wall that works, maintaining it, and securing it will be very expensive in construction, and in operation.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

PlatoSaid said:

taffys said:

For smart people like yourself, but surely the average Mexican worker will just be heading down to the local Western Union shop or using their website ?
    In the short term, yes. But longer term, they'll end up using their mate who has some BTC based system.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    Is that a trick question?
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    Some sort of a wall.
  • Options
    john_zims said:

@williamglenn

'I suspect Farage will end his days as a sad Walter Mitty figure, claiming to have been the éminence grise behind every significant event in his lifetime.'

He will be able to claim that he achieved more in terms of significant policy change than the Lib Dems did in 5 years of government.

Trouble is it was a significantly bad change.
  • Options
    Patrick said:

rcs1000 said:

taffys said:

The bulk of Federal Spending is transfer payments, Medicare/Medicaid and defence. The Department of Energy and the EPA together account for less than 1% of federal spending.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

PlatoSaid said:

taffys said:

In the short term, yes. But longer term, they'll end up using their mate who has some BTC based system.
    Surely construction is a short term cost?
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    New attraction in WDW Florida.

The Trump Hall of Presidents.
  • Options
    Lennon said:

rcs1000 said:

taffys said:

Indeed... how will that go down with the deficit hawks / Ron Paul types in the GOP?
    I suspect they will have an attack of the "It's okay if you are a Republican"
  • Options
    RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

PlatoSaid said:

taffys said:

I think undocumented immigrants work in a bunch of different industries.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Trump's wall is imaginary. It is as tall as it needs to be, deep as it needs to be, and cheap as it needs to be.
    Post truth politics at it's best.
    That's it really, trump's wall is his version of £350million/week to the NHS.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,577

Is tic tacs a euphemism?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

PlatoSaid said:

taffys said:

I thought we were talking about funding the wall?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Post truth politics at it's best.
    That's it really, trump's wall is his version of £350million/week to the NHS.
    Except it's already half built.
  • Options

john_zims said:

@williamglenn

Trouble is it was a significantly bad change.
    In Sunil's absence...

LEAVE 52%
    REMAIN 48%

Imagine the little face with a halo, I don't know how to do it.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

taffys said:

Outside of Italy, the Euro is still remarkably popular. "The Euro is Good for My Country", net positive:

I simply don't believe those Greek polls. If the rule questioning pollsters stands for Greek ones, please delete, because that's exactly what I'm doing.
  • Options
    Sean Davies
    Great point. Those voters were interviewed to provide fodder for mockery. To the media, they were props, not people. https://t.co/TBVSMxFpEH

Sarah Westwood
    Media spent months interviewing Trump supporters. It's not lack of contact w/ them...it's lack of ideological diversity in newsrooms.
  • Options

Is tic tacs a euphemism?
    You know what they say about men with small hands.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

taffys said:

I simply don't believe those Greek polls. If the rule questioning pollsters stands for Greek ones, please delete, because that's exactly what I'm doing.
    There was a rule questioning pollsters? That should have been ditched in June!!
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

taffys said:

Dismissing data that doesn't fit your preconceptions puts you in the same category as the Clinton campaign.
  • Options
    Essexit said:

Is tic tacs a euphemism?
    You know what they say about men with small hands.
    Small gloves?
  • Options
    Why is there a delay in the Michigan result
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

taffys said:

There's a massive difference between Greeks above about 50 (i.e. have savings and are 90% in favour), and below 30 where it's the other way around.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    "The mood in the Washington press corps is bleak, and deservedly so.

It shouldn’t come as a surprise to anyone that, with a few exceptions, we were all tacitly or explicitly #WithHer, which has led to a certain anguish in the face of Donald Trump’s victory. More than that and more importantly, we also missed the story, after having spent months mocking the people who had a better sense of what was going on.

This is all symptomatic of modern journalism’s great moral and intellectual failing: its unbearable smugness. Had Hillary Clinton won, there’s be a winking “we did it” feeling in the press, a sense that we were brave and called Trump a liar and saved the republic.

...Trump knew what he was doing when he invited his crowds to jeer and hiss the reporters covering him. They hate us, and have for some time.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/commentary-the-unbearable-smugness-of-the-press-presidential-election-2016/
  • Options

Patrick said:

rcs1000 said:

taffys said:

The problem with "public wasteful spending" is that waste is very much in the eye of the beholder. Whilst there are undoubtedly many wasteful schemes, others are deemed wasteful for political reasons when they fulfil a valuable purpose.

However, this is a classic example of $349 million of waste:
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/national/2014/12/15/nasas-349-million-monument-to-its-drift/
    Nasa wanted to stop it when the rocket was cancelled but Mississippi Republican senators led by Roger Wicker forced the project to continue.
    "The test stand is an example of how U.S. lawmakers thwart efforts to cut costs and eliminate government waste, even as they criticize agencies for failing to do so. "
    http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2014-01-08/congress-makes-nasa-finish-useless-350-million-structure
  • Options
    RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

PlatoSaid said:

taffys said:

I thought we were talking about funding the wall?
    Nope, about Western Union transfers to Mexico.
This discussion has been closed.