Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » What Trump was Tweeting at WH2012 when it appeared for a time

Comments

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,994
    TudorRose said:

RobD said:

TudorRose said:

RobD said:

TudorRose said:

PlatoSaid said:

Great Again

Washington Examiner
    Donald Trump's transition website is called https://t.co/1YllCKFDXA https://t.co/ISiSVPVyaB https://t.co/oRNrkInCL9

He seems to be advertising for 4000 political appointees....?
    They shouldn't be advertised for?
    He says 'help wanted'...!
    Yes, and?
    I suppose I just find it a bit bizarre to advertise for 'appointees'. It includes ambassadors; do they have to go through an interview process? I genuinely don't know.
    I would imagine they would be interviewed, yes!
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    Clinton at 1.05 for the popular vote

Am I missing something ?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited November 2016
    Speedy said:

TudorRose said:

PlatoSaid said:

Great Again

Washington Examiner
    Donald Trump's transition website is called https://t.co/1YllCKFDXA https://t.co/ISiSVPVyaB https://t.co/oRNrkInCL9

Lots of Jobs for the Boys.
    Lots of Clinton foundation workers currently having to re-adjust life plans.
  • Options
    rogerhrogerh Posts: 282
    The most obvious comment on the result-if Johnson and Stein hadn't have stood Clinton would likely have won.Why didnt' they get seen off?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Am I missing something ?

Maybe because of confusion about CNN's projection?
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    Pulpstar said:

Am I missing something ?

Nothing, as long as there are still votes to be counted in California she should win the popular vote, not by much though, probably around 1%.
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662
    RobD said:

TudorRose said:

RobD said:

TudorRose said:

RobD said:

TudorRose said:

PlatoSaid said:

Great Again

Washington Examiner

Yes, and?
    I suppose I just find it a bit bizarre to advertise for 'appointees'. It includes ambassadors; do they have to go through an interview process? I genuinely don't know.
    I wonder what the selection criteria are for Ambassador to Mexico? Thick skin, strong backbone...?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Pulpstar said:

Am I missing something ?

Yes, I was considering putting more on but this is a Bush @ 10s after New Hampshire moment for me, it seems so out there I am scared to tread.
  • Options
    TudorRose said:

RobD said:

TudorRose said:

RobD said:

TudorRose said:

RobD said:

TudorRose said:

PlatoSaid said:

Great Again

Washington Examiner

Yes, and?
    I wonder what the selection criteria are for Ambassador to Mexico? Thick skin, strong backbone...?
    Sounds like a job for nige.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341

Re unionized labour...remember John Harris video during primary season...their unions told them sanders not clinton, but many went for trump.

Not much you can do about Turkeys voting for Christmas. Republicans in places like Wisconsin are very anti-union.
  • Options
    I've hit my exposure limit for the moment, £650 still up at 1.05 for anyone that wants it.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,921

Pulpstar said:

The BBC would do well to rewatch CNN's coverage of the US election. It was absolutely brilliant & they could learn a thing or two from it.

I hear Fox News was similiarly good.

Because it was proper analysis about *numbers* and not 'accessibility' and all that other 'see you Cleggy boyyh!' nonsense.
    Probably the sort of thing that goes down well with political geeks?
    But for the average viewer... endless comparisons of what % Hilary is on vs. Obama 4 years ago and so on... bit of a waste of time.

As an aside- felt like CNN missed a trick by not weighting the size of counties according to population. Their magic wall made it tricky to see how big the vote was in cities which are small on a map.
  • Options

Re unionized labour...remember John Harris video during primary season...their unions told them sanders not clinton, but many went for trump.

It's important to represent directly the views of union workers instead of just relying on union leaders to get the working class vote.

Big lesson here for Labour too.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956

MaxPB said:

RobD said:

PlatoSaid said:

taffys said:

"You really believe white men have faced systematic oppression on the scale of minorities and women? That societies have been run on an ideology that white men are inferior? That there are systematic barriers with the economic, political, and legal system which have all affected white male opportunities? That culturally, white men have been demonised for centuries?"

If there's anybody obsessed by identity politics and grudges, its you. As this outburst aptly illustrates.

I'm not obsessed with identity politics. This site is. I'm just offering an alternative view on it. It's not really an outburst. If it wasn't mentioned much on this site, I wouldn't be talking about it.
    Seriously? You talk endlessly about identity politics.
    Yes, because I see it talked about a lot of this site!
    Maybe because you talk endlessly about it!
    Tbh, a lot of the posts on identity politics aren't responses to me, they are critiques of the left!
    Maybe because we who are not on the left are able to see how hollow and divisive identity politics is. I'm what you would say is a minority, and yet I don't want special treatment or status. It is demeaning and creates a sense of resentment among those who don't get it. It creates a barrier between the political haves and have nots. If you can't see that then you're a fool.
    Well equally, as someone on the left who understands why identity politics exist, I can say why it isn't 'hollow' and 'divisive', but the that the conditions which led to its creation are. I'm minority too, but given that most minorities have tended to vote for left-wing parties, I'd say that most have a bit of a different view to you. I also don't advocate special treatment or status, either. And somehow, I doubt that the biggest concern the WWC have is feeling like a 'political have not'. I say this as someone who comes from a working class background, and lived in an area where the majority of people were white working class. So that's my experience. Most of the WWC are concerned with bread and butter issues.
    You realise that what 'have nots' don't have is generally far more of a bread and butter issue than most of what identity politics rails against, right?
  • Options
    TudorRose said:

PlatoSaid said:

Great Again

Washington Examiner

There isn't the equivalent to the Civil Service. It all has to staffed up.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,148
    Pulpstar said:

I've hit my exposure limit for the moment, £650 still up at 1.05 for anyone that wants it.

You can get more at 1.06 now.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

Am I missing something ?

Yes, I was considering putting more on but this is a Bush @ 10s after New Hampshire moment for me, it seems so out there I am scared to tread.
    I've now got a 5 figure sum on 'certs'.

Hopefully they don't find a million Trump votes dumped in a New Hampshire post box.
  • Options
    Orange Country has voted Dem, there is not going to be a surprise Trump surge in Cali (Disclaimer, I have cashed out of the market when it was 1.02)
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Orange Country has voted Dem, there is not going to be a surprise Trump surge in Cali (Disclaimer, I have cashed out of the market when it was 1.02)

Go back in :D
  • Options
    Who said rallies were unimportant:

https://twitter.com/TheFix/status/796766742987030528

It's amazing that Trump did 2x as many rallies than Hillary, while Hillary did not visit Wisconsin once and only went to Michigan in the very end.

I'm going to make a full tabulation of all the rallies of Trump and Hillary per state and per month, but the numbers are amazing, Hillary was almost not campaigning at all in the second half of October.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763
    Gina Miller to take USA to court to stop Trump taking over the presidency
  • Options
    Speedy said:

It's amazing that Trump did 2x as many rallies than Hillary, while Hillary did not visit Wisconsin once and only went to Michigan in the very end.

I'm going to make a full tabulation of all the rallies of Trump and Hillary per state and per month, but the numbers are amazing, Hillary was almost not campaigning at all in the second half of October.

One thing you can't accuse trump of doing was being lazy on the campaign trail...he was like the Duracell bunny.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

That's a crappy info graphic, I'd like to see that as a r2 value rather than geometry. And compare against Hillary/Kaine.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

The pound is rising quite sharply. Donald Trump has spoken to Theresa May with the prospect of an early meeting to discuss security and trade issues.

At the same time the EU are all at sea and frankly have not adopted the right tone with Trump, particularly Germany.

Today the Estonia government has collapsed and is likely to be replaced with a more pro Russia anti Nato government will the possibility of them leaving the EU.

The result yesterday can only be good for UK and Brexit and very worrying for the EU

These are remarkable days and have been since GE 2015.

How could anyone have written the script - just remarkable and amazing

You really think Estonia is likely to leave the EU?

It's one of the most pro-EU countries in the EU.
    That was before the Government collapsed today and is likely to be replaced by a more pro Russia one
    Nevertheless, Estonia in 2014 didn't elect a single Eurosceptic MEP (unlike the UK or France, etc,), and has an economy utterly dependent on trade with the EU. According the Eurobarometer survey from July*, just 17% of people have a negative view of the EU.

Further, Russian Estonians are less than a quarter of the total.

If you want to bet on Estonia leaving I'll give you pretty good odds.

* Yes, yes, I know. Still, it's among the lowest of all the published figures.
    Estonia is a client state of the EU. They can never leave without destroying their economy.
    Immediately after independence, they made the deliberate decision to hitch themselves to Germany and the West, tying their currency to the DM and attracting service businesses for near-shoring.

By and large, it's been a pretty big success.
    And Tallinn is very pretty and quaint
    Tallinn is gorgeous, as is my Tallinn-born wife ;)

I really can't see Estonia leaving the EU or NATO. The ethnic Russian minority isn't big enough to overcome the ethnic Estonian antipathy (to say the least!) to Russia.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631
    Pulpstar said:

Am I missing something ?

CNN seem to think that Trump might now edge it.
  • Options

Gina Miller to take USA to court to stop Trump taking over the presidency

What? :p
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

Am I missing something ?

Oh yes please!!!!!!
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

The pound is rising quite sharply. Donald Trump has spoken to Theresa May with the prospect of an early meeting to discuss security and trade issues.

At the same time the EU are all at sea and frankly have not adopted the right tone with Trump, particularly Germany.

Today the Estonia government has collapsed and is likely to be replaced with a more pro Russia anti Nato government will the possibility of them leaving the EU.

The result yesterday can only be good for UK and Brexit and very worrying for the EU

That was before the Government collapsed today and is likely to be replaced by a more pro Russia one
    Nevertheless, Estonia in 2014 didn't elect a single Eurosceptic MEP (unlike the UK or France, etc,), and has an economy utterly dependent on trade with the EU. According the Eurobarometer survey from July*, just 17% of people have a negative view of the EU.

Estonia is a client state of the EU. They can never leave without destroying their economy.
    Immediately after independence, they made the deliberate decision to hitch themselves to Germany and the West, tying their currency to the DM and attracting service businesses for near-shoring.

By and large, it's been a pretty big success.
    And Tallinn is very pretty and quaint
    Tallinn is gorgeous, as is my Tallinn-born wife ;)

I really can't see Estonia leaving the EU or NATO. The ethnic Russian minority isn't big enough to overcome the ethnic Estonian antipathy (to say the least!) to Russia.
    What odds on Estonia being part of Russia by the end of a Trump administration?
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

Am I missing something ?

Oh yes please!!!!!!
    That would be such a beautiful result, especially given all the reactions in the last 24 hours :p
  • Options
    RobD said:

Mortimer said:

MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

Am I missing something ?

Oh yes please!!!!!!
    That would be such a beautiful result, especially given all the reactions in the last 24 hours :p
    Also +330....
  • Options

Not much you can do about Turkeys voting for Christmas. Republicans in places like Wisconsin are very anti-union.
    But Trump is not a Republican conservative, it's more easier for union workers to vote for a non-conservative.

Trump recorded the largest share of unionized workers for a Republican since Nixon in 1972.

Not even Reagan managed to get as many union votes as Trump got.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

Am I missing something ?

Are you basing that off the website? I think it is just bad design and they are indicating Trump as the projected electoral college winner. Most of the remaining votes to come are from CA.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

Am I missing something ?

Really?!

How????
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

You can get more at 1.06 now.
    I'm pretty annoyed that they haven't settled the Senate market yet. I understand why they need to wait on the others.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

But Trump is not a Republican conservative, it's more easier for union workers to vote for a non-conservative.

Trump recorded the largest share of unionized workers for a Republican since Nixon in 1972.

Not even Reagan managed to get as many union votes as Trump got.
    I think continually reminding the electorate that Trump:

- had never held elected office
    - said things that poitlicisns never did
    - wasn't necessarily perfect

Was seriously poor strategy by the Dems.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

ttps://twitter.com/TheFix/status/796766742987030528

Look forward to see the final result Mr Speedy – will you published on here?
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

Am I missing something ?

Are you basing that off the website? I think it is just bad design and they are indicating Trump as the projected electoral college winner. Most of the remaining votes to come are from CA.
    Yeah it could be the case. No other reason for Clinton to he drifting though.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

Am I missing something ?

Really?!

How????
    Their website has Trump projected to win the popular vote, assuming it's not just poor website design.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

Am I missing something ?

Really?!

How????
    For what it is worth, NY Times still think Clinton by 1%

http://www.nytimes.com/elections/forecast/president
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    This is great 2020 hindsight

http://adage.com/article/campaign-trail/hillary-clinton-wrong/306676/?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=Social

How Did Hillary Clinton Screw This Up? For Starters, Her Advertising Was All Wrong
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

Am I missing something ?

Yeah it could be the case. No other reason for Clinton to he drifting though.
    It's really annoying, I have £30 ready to collect. Yesterday I could have cashed out at £29.40 and was sorely tempted to do so rather than wait...
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Speedy said:

MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

Am I missing something ?

Really?!

How????
    Their website has Trump projected to win the popular vote, assuming it's not just poor website design.
    It's clearly poor website design.
  • Options
    FPT: Tulsi Gabbard 66/1 with bet365 :)
  • Options
    Campaign rallies for November, per candidate, per state:

Hillary

Florida 5
    Pennsylvania 3
    Michigan 3
    Ohio 2
    N.Carolina 2
    N.H 1
    Nevada 1
    Arizona 1

Total 18

Trump

Florida 6
    Pennsylvania 4
    N.Carolina 2
    N.H 2
    Michigan 2
    Virginia 1
    Minnesota 1
    Iowa 1
    Nevada 1
    Colorado 1

Total 21

Clearly compared with past months Hillary started campaigning a lot, the last week before the election was the only time she managed to come close to Trump in this metric.
  • Options
    Pro Trump not fully counted states:

AL 11813 -> Trump
    AZ 26923 -> Trump
    GA 17411 -> Trump
    IN 16214 -> Trump

OH and a couple of other states 29000, 15481, 38037

= 154879
  • Options

Speedy said:

ttps://twitter.com/TheFix/status/796766742987030528

Look forward to see the final result Mr Speedy – will you published on here?
    I already did for the month of November just now, I have posted all other months on PB except October because I was banned for that period.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Pulpstar said:

AL 11813 -> Trump
    AZ 26923 -> Trump
    GA 17411 -> Trump
    IN 16214 -> Trump

= 154879

Are those net numbers for Trump in the not-fully-counted states?
  • Options
    I've totted up the expected remaining pro-Trump margins.

And headed back to the NY Times proj vote clock for therapy.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Speedy said:

MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

Am I missing something ?

Really?!

How????
    CNN? In what way?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

AL 11813 -> Trump
    AZ 26923 -> Trump
    GA 17411 -> Trump
    IN 16214 -> Trump

= 154879

Are those net numbers for Trump in the not-fully-counted states?
    In the pro Trump (Trump - Hillary)/% in * left.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

Am I missing something ?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/monkey-cage/wp/2016/11/08/hillary-clinton-will-gain-votes-after-election-night-heres-why/

Seems to suggest Clinton margin will increase not go down...
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 1,614
    I think the enormity of his position has already tempered and moderated Trump, both as a man and as a politician. He must still be pinching himself, because I seriously doubt he ever thought he was actually going to win. He has a huge amount of power, and he must use it wisely, with consideration, and he must learn the art of compromise. He will also learn, very quickly, that his words have the power to move international markets, to move people (perhaps physically, back over the southern border?) - and possibly even armies.

He may well turn out to be a revelation, although his critics and opponents - half the country - will never reconcile themselves to his presidency. I genuinely wish him well, and I genuinely and sincerely hope he succeeds.
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662
    rkrkrk said:

MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

Am I missing something ?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/monkey-cage/wp/2016/11/08/hillary-clinton-will-gain-votes-after-election-night-heres-why/

It says 'weeks' after - will the bookies really wait that long to pay out if the current margin is bigger than the votes still to be counted?
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Speedy said:
    Democrats need to distance themselves from the corporate machine. They lost their radicalism and it killed them.
  • Options
    TudorRose said:

rkrkrk said:

MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

Am I missing something ?

It says 'weeks' after - will the bookies really wait that long to pay out if the current margin is bigger than the votes still to be counted?
    Wouldn't have thought so... but does seem to suggest that there is no way Trump is going to overtake on popular vote.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,501
    Clinton appears to be still 200000 ahead, but with a whopping 7% still to declare.
  • Options
    DixieDixie Posts: 1,221

Pulpstar said:

The BBC would do well to rewatch CNN's coverage of the US election. It was absolutely brilliant & they could learn a thing or two from it.

I hear Fox News was similiarly good.

Because it was proper analysis about *numbers* and not 'accessibility' and all that other 'see you Cleggy boyyh!' nonsense.
    I've been away and was happy Trump won. I'm going to watch BBC Presidential coverage just to watch the Lefties squirm
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

Mortimer said:

Ms. Apocalypse, men face systematic discrimination in custody courts and when it comes to distributing public spending for victims of domestic abuse.

Inconvenient truths for lovers of identity politics.

A.K.A. those fonder of being liked on fb than being in govt. power.
    Not really. You really believe white men have faced systematic oppression on the scale of minorities and women? That societies have been run on an ideology that white men are inferior? That there are systematic barriers with the economic, political, and legal system which have all affected white male opportunities? That culturally, white men have been demonised for centuries? That's all happened, has it?
    Identity politics is the problem IMO. The sooner we stop obsessing about the whole concept, the better.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Campaign rallies for October per candidate per state:

Hillary

Ohio 5
    Florida 3
    Pennsylvania 2
    Iowa 2
    N.H. 1
    N.C 1
    Nevada 1
    Arizona 1
    Michigan 1

Total 17

Trump

Florida 8
    Ohio 6
    Pennsylvania 6
    N.C 4
    Colorado 3
    Nevada 3
    Arizona 2
    Michigan 2
    Wisconsin 2
    N.H 2
    Maine 2
    Virginia 1
    N.Mexico 1

Total 42

You can see the intensity of the Trump campaign in all it's glory in October.

Basically when you put all of Trump's campaign rallies on the map it looks even more amazing, you can basically drive from N.Jersey to Lake Michigan and you wouldn't miss a place Trump did not held a rally, same from Naples Florida all the way to the Georgia border.
  • Options
    Jason said:

I think the enormity of his position has already tempered and moderated Trump, both as a man and as a politician. He must still be pinching himself, because I seriously doubt he ever thought he was actually going to win. He has a huge amount of power, and he must use it wisely, with consideration, and he must learn the art of compromise. He will also learn, very quickly, that his words have the power to move international markets, to move people (perhaps physically, back over the southern border?) - and possibly even armies.

He may well turn out to be a revelation, although his critics and opponents - half the country - will never reconcile themselves to his presidency. I genuinely wish him well, and I genuinely and sincerely hope he succeeds.

His demeanour since the election has reminded me of Boris and Gove the day after the referendum. A combination of shock and "Oh crap!"
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

http://adage.com/article/campaign-trail/hillary-clinton-wrong/306676/?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=Social

How Did Hillary Clinton Screw This Up? For Starters, Her Advertising Was All Wrong

Interesting perspective from the Ad-men and so right. You can only say Trump is awful so many times before it loses its potency, to continue spending millions doing the same thing over and over was just barmy.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    IanB2 said:

Clinton appears to be still 200000 ahead, but with a whopping 7% still to declare.

California has only counted two-thirds of its votes. They don't start again until Monday apparently.

Clinton has reached 60 million votes:

http://edition.cnn.com/election/results
  • Options

I think you're the only person on this site that sees me as moderate! Tbh even I don't think I am a moderate. I'm definitely quite left wing, and I'll admit to that!

You'll become more and more right-wing as you get older :)

• Options
    edited November 2016
    AndyJS said:

IanB2 said:

California has only counted two-thirds of its votes. They don't start again until Monday apparently.

Why does NY Times have them as 100% reported, yet CNN at 2/3rds?

http://www.nytimes.com/elections/results/california

Not only that, they have the same absolute vote numbers. Confusing!
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

IanB2 said:

If Cali has a third still to count, it is not looking so good for poor Alistair

I am sure the Cali counters will enjoy their long relaxed weekend in the sunshine
  • Options
    Has anybody called Michigan yet?
  • Options
    I guess the question is, do we expect another 3 million votes from CA?
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

Interesting perspective from the Ad-men and so right. You can only say Trump is awful so many times before it loses its potency, to continue spending millions doing the same thing over and over was just barmy.
    Clinton's strategy was to make the election a referendum on Trump. It almost worked but in the last 2 weeks of the campaign Trump finally learned to stay on message, and in particular was smart enough to stay quiet when Comey's letter appeared.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,148

PlatoSaid said:

They didn't take account of Trump's unashamedness about saying offensive things and by just repeating them, contributed to the outrage fatigue. A terrible strategy.
  • Options
    The last market to settle will surely be Trump's % band.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    RobD said:

AndyJS said:

IanB2 said:

Why does NY Times have them as 100% reported, yet CNN at 2/3rds?

http://www.nytimes.com/elections/results/california

Not only that, they have the same absolute vote numbers. Confusing!
    It's very misleading, I encountered it four years ago when I was doing a spreadsheet for PB for the prediction competition. The votes still to come in California are mail-in votes I think, and the 100% refers only to ordinary votes on the day.
  • Options
    I've a bet on Trump at 47% - 50%... but would actually win more if he drops below 47%.

In 2012... an extra 8 million votes counted after election day... enough to add 0.8% to Obama's total.

A similar 'blue shift' could push Trump below 47%.... Which is currently 3-1 on betfair.

DYOR.
  • Options

Don't think so. Trump is 12,000 ahead but there must be a lot of absentee ballots or something like that.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I really hope I can get my Betfair winnings before Trump unleashes the first trident missile
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642

Well, one thing's for sure: the winner of the Time Person of the Year award this year is not hard to predict.

James Comey.
    Lol.

It's the FBI Wot Won It

I wonder if Clinton getting schlonged by Weiner helped Trump across the line.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Don't think so. Trump is 12,000 ahead but there must be a lot of absentee ballots or something like that.
    I believe in America postal votes that arrive late but are postmarked before the election count (which is asking for trouble and recalls the Royal Mail football pool frauds of old), and also in many states votes from people who aren't on the list are put aside, and added in later if they can prove that they are registered.

What with the hour long queues and all, it seems the whole election business is much more shambolic in the US than back at home.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

He might just drop below 47% although probably not.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Total number of campaign rallies per candidate per state:

Hillary

Florida 12
    Ohio 12
    Pennsylvania 9
    Michigan 6
    N.C 6
    Nevada 6
    Iowa 4
    N.H 4
    Arizona 2
    Colorado 1
    Virginia 1
    Nebraska 1
    Missouri 1
    Wisconsin 1

Total 66

Trump

Florida 23
    Pennsylvania 15
    Ohio 13
    N.C 13
    Virginia 9
    Colorado 8
    Michigan 7
    Iowa 7
    N.H 6
    Nevada 5
    Arizona 4
    Wisconsin 4
    Texas 3
    Maine 3
    Mississippi 1
    Washington 1
    Connecticut 1

Total 123

And I may have missed a Trump rally or two because of the sheer volume.
  • Options
    Getting up-to-speed with who will have the ear of Trump. Christie and Ruddy obviously and probably Reince Priebus. And also this lady:

http://www.gq.com/story/hope-hicks-mystifying-triumph-donald-trump

Set to be a key gatekeeper at age 27!
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

Well, one thing's for sure: the winner of the Time Person of the Year award this year is not hard to predict.

James Comey.
    Lol.

It's the FBI Wot Won It

No doubt helped and given how close it was in some key states.
  • Options
    Next election Pennsylvania is once again the swing state.
  • Options
    Is there an Indiana out there this time round (Opposite sides ofc)
  • Options
    Thinking of future bets, I have just taken a nibble on Sarkozy for French president, alongside LePen.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

?
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Pulpstar said:

?
    A state that will almost certainly shift back DEM next election.

Indiana was that in 2008-12.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

Pulpstar said:

I really hope I can get my Betfair winnings before Trump unleashes the first trident missile
    He says he is committed to defeat ISIS in its heartlands so I guess the first missile is headed for Bradford.
  • Options
    edited November 2016

MP_SE said:

James Comey.
    Lol.

It's the FBI Wot Won It

No doubt helped and given how close it was in some key states.
    Actually in my Average Daily Tracking poll Trump was surging like a rocket until the FBI email story.

I think ironically the Comey letters helped Hillary, because not many saw that Trump was already in poll position to beat her, lots of Hillary voters became complacent.

Hillary actually gained and Trump was losing ground after the first Comey letter in my daily average, not until the weekend did Trump started to close the gap again.

In the state polls too it became plainly obvious that it was shifting Trump way after the weekend, that's why I gave Trump a 1 in 3 chance to win far higher than my earlier long term estimate of 10%.
  • Options
    The one show attacking government policy now. Watch.
  • Options
    This article is very interesting, on Trump's use of data and message. Particularly sobering for PBers like me who insisted Trump had no idea how to play the election game and didn't know what he was doing e.g. going to Penn at the end when it was clearly lost (yes @plato we should have opened our ears more).

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-11-10/trump-s-data-team-saw-a-different-america-and-they-were-right

Confirms the view that Brexit was the model.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    LOL @ Sky News asking a man about Trump grabbing women inappropriately and he starts shouting that Bill Clinton is a rapist.
  • Options
    edited November 2016

This article is very interesting, on Trump's use of data and message. Particularly sobering for PBers like me who insisted Trump had no idea how to play the election game and didn't know what he was doing e.g. going to Penn at the end when it was clearly lost (yes @plato we should have opened our ears more).

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-11-10/trump-s-data-team-saw-a-different-america-and-they-were-right

Confirms the view that Brexit was the model.

It's all about the fact that older, white voters always turn out more heavily than other types of voters, both in the UK and the US. Simple but true. They still regard it as a duty to vote.
  • Options
    nunu said:

The one show attacking government policy now. Watch.

Wtf??? The one show on the BBC just did what was basically an opinion piece on government policy, with a bit at the end "and the government says this" with huge cynisism in his voice.
  • Options
    So will the Dems get their act together by 2018 or will they be fractionally riven?
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    With so many votespotentially able to be included - any chance Trump could lose one of the states he won.

Would be funny if PaddyPower? has to pay out a third time on a 2-horse race.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Speedy said:

Pulpstar said:

?
    A state that will almost certainly shift back DEM next election.

Indiana was that in 2008-12.
    Currently it's not obvious.

Trump will now be President and as long as he delivers on some promises to blue collar workers and doesn't screw up the economy he might gain states that he lost this time (N.H, Maine, Minnesota, Nevada, Colorado).

Don't forget the media was in the bag for Hillary 100% all the time and painted Trump as a racist crazy stupid madman, that won't be repeated in 2020 now that Trump won.

Trump will now be judged by his record in office not by his past statements.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

Pulpstar said:

He says he is committed to defeat ISIS in its heartlands so I guess the first missile is headed for Bradford.
    And Brussels.
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

LOL @ Sky News asking a man about Trump grabbing women inappropriately and he starts shouting that Bill Clinton is a rapist.

Not all Trump supporters are stupid, but some people......what's wrong with them? I worry for humankind sometimes.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Stein currently at 0.97363834494446914187623149887368% of the vote

I will keep you updated

true figure is a little lower due to minor candidates
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited November 2016
    Someone, please lay Trump PV winner @ 6/1

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/#/politics/market/1.125828948

The auto-overround bot is cleaning up on that market.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

The question in the Estonian context is "do you want to be poorer"? That's what all the evidence suggests being closer to Russia means in practice. That's ignoring being close to a quasi-totalitarian state.

The desire to see the demise of the EU sometimes runs ahead of reason. One sometimes wonders if Ambrose Evans-Pritchard sources some of his columns from here.
This discussion has been closed.