Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » It’s looking good for Hillary at the moment

Comments

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,094
    I have now sold most of my Clinton position at a moderate profit...
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,902
    Trump up 110k.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,187
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    Chameleon said:

Dadge said:

Trump is going to win this.

Based on what? I'll give you 5/1. Great thing about CNN is that he's explaining in detail why the running state vote totals are less than half the story.

I don't know why e.g. Miami area is always so slow to report, but it always is.
    Miami-Dade is at 91%
    Broward - HRC will gain a million votes there.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091

Danny565 said:

Major Brexit Night flashbacks....

Tbh with Brexit we knew very on what was happening.
    Not much earlier than this. From memory, the "exit polls" (well, a YouGov poll on the day of Brexit) put Remain ahead, and senior Leave figures were conceding defeat (Frank Luntz being the equivalent of Farage on Brexit night).

It was only when actual results started coming in that people realised the polls and pundits were off.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    AndyJS said:

Florida or the election?
    Both.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,157
    Lennon said:

So this is looking screwy... possibility that Trump takes FL, PA, MI, but loses NC and AZ?

Trump's closing the gap in NC. Too close to call.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,036

Danny565 said:

This *is* very early on. UK Brexit polls closed at 10pm but Sunderland was at about 1am. US East Coast polls close at, what, midnight our time?
  • Options
    Frank Luntz ‏@FrankLuntz 15s16 seconds ago Manhattan, NY
    To his credit, Trump is overperforming exit polls from conservative parts of Florida and Virginia.

Somewhat sheepish from Luntz, who said the election was over about 2 hours ago - called it for Clinton.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Artist said:

If we're going by the NY Times tracker, Trump wins Florida but struggles in other key states like North Carolina and Iowa.

I love their dials! So awesome.
    North Carolina has been getting closer. Iowa hasn't started counting yet. I'm still surprised how much closer Virginia is than expected. Maybe there is a shy trump effect
  • Options
    Fuck me. Trump could actually win this.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

Not much earlier than this. From memory, the "exit polls" (well, a YouGov poll on the day of Brexit) put Remain ahead, and senior Leave figures were conceding defeat (Frank Luntz being the equivalent of Farage on Brexit night).

It was only when actual results started coming in that people realised the polls and pundits were off.
    I think it was earlier than this tbh. Sunderland came in very early, and that was the first signal.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154
    fuck, this is still insanely close....
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    AndyJS said:

Speedy said:

rcs1000 said:

IanB2 said:

CNN saying trump could have an edge in the undeclared FL votes

Yes - uber close.

I may have been too confident...
    Pennsylvania might also be up to a shocker, only 3 counties in but Trump is doing much much better than Romney in rural Pennsylvania, in one of them he is up 23% higher than Romney.
    The exit poll won't be out by 4 points.
    So far it has been in most states so far, it seems they did a HUGE mistake in undercounting over65's as a share of the electorate by a lot.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    I'm puzzled how Trump is ahead in Florida when Clinton is winning all the big cities.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

6m
    Steve Schale ‏@steveschale
    This is pretty remarkable - in 41 counties in Florida, Trump's share is better than the best share that any R has gotten since 2000.
  • Options
    TonyTony Posts: 159

RobD said:

Artist said:

If we're going by the NY Times tracker, Trump wins Florida but struggles in other key states like North Carolina and Iowa.

I love their dials! So awesome.
    North Carolina has been getting closer. Iowa hasn't started counting yet. I'm still surprised how much closer Virginia is than expected. Maybe there is a shy trump effect
    Dials are great, key thing is they move based on results coming in , so Iowa has 0. Hence currently based on the Exit.
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807
    Just gone back in on Trump
  • Options
    Chameleon said:

Fuck me. Trump could actually win this.

Starting to feel sick. Looking like the Founding Fathers theories of restraining a demagogue elected by the mob by separation of powers are going to be well and truly tested.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Florida or the election?

The whole shooting match. Clinton is really badly underperforming in key areas.

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,372
    CNN commentary generally very good - plenty of comparisons with last time, and pretty balanced in tone.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

I'm puzzled how Trump is ahead in Florida when Clinton is winning all the big cities.

The panhandle and rural areas coming out big for Trump
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956
    Between NC and OH, HRC probably still has this - have put a little bit on Trump to cover myself though.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

AndyJS said:

Speedy said:

rcs1000 said:

IanB2 said:

CNN saying trump could have an edge in the undeclared FL votes

Yes - uber close.

I may have been too confident...
    Pennsylvania might also be up to a shocker, only 3 counties in but Trump is doing much much better than Romney in rural Pennsylvania, in one of them he is up 23% higher than Romney.
    The exit poll won't be out by 4 points.
    So far it has been in most states so far, it seems they did a HUGE mistake in undercounting over65's as a share of the electorate by a lot.
    My spreadsheet shows that the biggest exit poll error in 2012 was 2.8 points in Arizona.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,106
    Florida seems stuck on 91% now.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

She is not, she losing Tampa and doing worse in Naples and West Palm Beach.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Broward and Palm Beach are only around 60% in (and they're big). But there are a few other Trump facing counties at 60% too.

Reckon it comes in from 110k, but probably not enough.
  • Options
    Okay, for people betting on this, Trump is doing *a lot* better in on the day votes versus early voting. Adjust initial figures to account for this.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956
    In 2008 I lost money backing Clinton, and pledged never to do it again.

Luckily after backing her at 1.15, I got out at.......

• Options
    113k lead for Trump in FL.
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

Just gone back in on Trump

likewise. god this is sickening.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    People, with 60% in and Trump having a 5.5% lead in Virginia I think I might call it for Trump.
  • Options
    SaltireSaltire Posts: 525
    If this ends up being a very close Clinton win at some point this morning will Trump accept the result? (A 310-228 type result was much harder to challenge)
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,005

Florida seems stuck on 91% now.

I just know it.. it's going to be one big vote dump and Clinton will win by several hundred k.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,512
    Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

The betting opportunity arose because the BBC kept arguing that London could swing it back long after this became incredible.

I don't yet see any same sure fire direction here.
  • Options
    America, what have you done.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

People, with 60% in and Trump having a 5.5% lead in Virginia I think I might call it for Trump.

That can't be true? :o
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,298
    edited November 2016
    Oh no no no no cnn now gone to the idiot talking heads. Stick with the data analyst and his RSI inducing interactive map.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    Chameleon said:

Okay, for people betting on this, Trump is doing *a lot* better in on the day votes versus early voting. Adjust initial figures to account for this.

This is why in places where they are counting the early vote first he is doing relatively badly. We need to wait.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

Almost all of those are fully in now. But I think Trump has (just) enough.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Speedy said:

NY Times thinks its still almost a slam dunk for Clinton.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Already cut from a 14% lead
  • Options
    NYT: 26% of precincts in Florida still to declare.
  • Options
    Essexit said:

Between NC and OH, HRC probably still has this - have put a little bit on Trump to cover myself though.

Ohio 35% in
    Clinton 48.5%
    Trump 47.6%
    http://edition.cnn.com/election/results/states/ohio
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,953
    Morning all. Florida exit poll looks wrong?
  • Options
    If you want to back Trump the 240-269 band on Betfair is the way to do it - 9.0 or so as opposed to 6.0
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807
    I'm now expecting Trump to win, and have bet accordingly. If Trump wins, I cash in big style but it will mean sheer misery for the world.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,141
    edited November 2016

To his credit, Trump is overperforming exit polls from conservative parts of Florida and Virginia.

Somewhat sheepish from Luntz, who said the election was over about 2 hours ago - called it for Clinton.

Well, if there is an issue with "shy Trumpers" (people who are embarrassed for you to hear they're farting?), I don't see why it shouldn't apply to exit polls as well as any other kind of polls.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Speedy said:

Northern Counties all close to zero and are DC suburbs.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Only 9% on CNN.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    RobD said:

Speedy said:

I don't think Hillary's margins in Fairfax are large enough to overcome the rest of the state that has swung to Trump hard.
  • Options
    By my calculations, Clinton will get a net 178,000 currently uncounted votes in the three south eastern counties in Florida.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631
    Can someone reassure me about Virginia? People say the northern parts are yet to report in, but it looks much closer than it should be.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

Speedy said:

OK. Because Trump winning VA would have been enormous.
  • Options
    DromedaryDromedary Posts: 1,194
    edited November 2016
    Trump 5.7 at Betfair.

Those who don't suffer from vertigo may like to watch the gold price here.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,512
    Dow now 150 points down on earlier
  • Options
    Marcus A. Roberts ‏@marcusaroberts 3m3 minutes ago
    But for what it's worth: I still think HRC wins FL but closer to 1% (maybe even 0.5!)
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,751
    If Trump is outperforming the polls/exit polls, time to look further west - Trump to win Colorado?
  • Options
    Chris said:

Well, if there is an issue with "shy Trumpers" (people who are embarrassed for you to hear they're farting?), I don't see why it shouldn't apply to exit polls as well as any other kindof polls.
    Yes, clearly the 'shy Leave' voters in EU ref factor has transferred over a little to the US with 'shy Trumpers'
  • Options
    Speedy said:

But you should be largely discounted because you're a proven emotive ramper.
  • Options
    RobD said:

AndyJS said:

Only 9% on CNN.
    They're both right.

9% of votes to come, and 74% of counties have fully reported.
  • Options

Just because Trump wins Florida doesn't mean he wins the election.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    Trump wins Bootle....
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

Speedy said:

OK. Because Trump winning VA would have been enormous.
    Nope, Loundon is 50% in, Fairfax 40% in.
    And Trump is still winning by 5.6% with 62% counted.
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956
    Am I missing something? FL looks to be Trump's, and VA may throw up a surprise, but the exit polls/results from OH, PA, NC all point to a likely Clinton win, surely? Yet people are talking as if Trump has it in the bag.
  • Options
    Chris said:

Well, if there is an issue with "shy Trumpers" (people who are embarrassed for you to hear they're farting?), I don't see why it shouldn't apply to exit polls as well as any other kind of polls.
    Well of course there are shy Trumpers.

Would you admit it? I wouldn't.

This election remains too close to call. I think HRC may, may, still do it but this can't be called yet and it will come down to some key battleground states which are currently on a knife-edge.
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    I suppose if some of you are going back to the Trump trough I ought to take some of your money...
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Just because Trump wins Florida doesn't mean he wins the election.
    Hopefully. However it looks like he could take Ohio, North Carolina, and Virginia. So...
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

Almost all of those are fully in now. But I think Trump has (just) enough.
    91% in Florida
    Trump 49.1%
    Clinton 47.8%
    http://edition.cnn.com/election/results/states/florida
  • Options
    Now, what did votecastr say for FL? :p
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Chris said:

Well, if there is an issue with "shy Trumpers" (people who are embarrassed for you to hear they're farting?), I don't see why it shouldn't apply to exit polls as well as any other kindof polls.
    Yes, clearly the 'shy Leave' voters in EU ref factor has transferred over a little to the US with 'shy Trumpers'
    No - I think Donald Trump is quintessentially American ...
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,468
    edited November 2016
    Jobabob said:

I'm now expecting Trump to win, and have bet accordingly. If Trump wins, I cash in big style but it will mean sheer misery for the world.

Jobabob 1:01AM :
    "Hillary is going to be 1.01 very soon and we can all go to bed."

:)
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154
    I still think Broward wins FL for Clinton....
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    For the remaining three Clinton Counties, bear in mind that Trump's on the day is performing substantially better than early voting. Florida goes for Trump.
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    Danny565 said:

What a beautiful night that was. Still have to pinch myself.
  • Options
    ThrakThrak Posts: 494
    edited November 2016
    Some of you are going to be very embarrassed later today. You really aren't looking at the figures and seeing what votes are to come. Do people never learn?
  • Options
    Essexit said:

Am I missing something? FL looks to be Trump's, and VA may throw up a surprise, but the exit polls/results from OH, PA, NC all point to a likely Clinton win, surely? Yet people are talking as if Trump has it in the bag.

The Exit Polls were monumental CRAAAPPPPP.

Trump is now going to get a lead in N.C. at any moment now too.
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,736
    HYUFD said:

Essexit said:

Ohio 35% in
    Clinton 48.5%
    Trump 47.6%
    http://edition.cnn.com/election/results/states/ohio
    Given the indicators from elsewhere about the rural white vote swinging hard to Trump - don't see how he doesn't take Ohio unless there is a massive Kasich write-in campaign or similar, or if there are other things driving differential voting.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited November 2016
    Essexit said:

Exit polls, schmexit polls...

Votes are what matter.
  • Options
    Essexit said:

Rural Florida is all in, Broward and Palm Beach still have quite a bit to come.

STILL

I have totally reversed my positioning, and am now almost at zero.
  • Options
    Essexit said:

looks neck and neck in OH to me, on CNN.
  • Options
    Thrak said:

Some of you are going to be very embarrassed later today. You really aren't looking at the figures and seeing what votes are to come. Do people never kearn?

Why, do you think Clinton can still win Florida?
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,319
    Dade:

In so far: 940k
    2012 : 870k

10% growth minimum.

So maybe more upside in broward + palm beach if they grow more than 10%
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    Have Fox news torn up the Exit polls a la 2004 yet?
  • Options
    Pong said:

Essexit said:

Exit polls, schmexit polls...

Votes are what matter.
    Yeah, but we are impatient :D
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,157

I still think Broward wins FL for Clinton....

2012 result was:

B. Obama (i) Dem 67.2% 507,430
    M. Romney GOP 32.3% 243,732

I don't think it will give her enough. The on the day vote won't be as strong for her.
  • Options
    Chris said:

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

No - I think Donald Trump is quintessentially American ...
    Well he is but that does not stop a small percentage being reticent about declaring support for him given the heavy backing of most of the media for Clinton
  • Options
    Trump almost 140k ahead in FL.

I'm now long Trump for the Presidency.
  • Options

Chris said:

Well of course there are shy Trumpers.

Would you admit it? I wouldn't.
    I wouldn't do it in the first place ;-)
  • Options
    Hearing its really close in PA
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    BBC has Ohio neck and neck at 48% each. Only 29% of vote counted.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956
    I very nearly went to bed!
  • Options

Essexit said:

looks neck and neck in OH to me, on CNN.
    The NYT has Ohio 59% chance for Trump. NC 51% for Clinton. Pennsylvania is only 2% counted
  • Options
    SaltireSaltire Posts: 525
    Looking at the exit polls on the CNN site, the numbers by Party ID seem to be slightly more favourable to Trump than the number by gender. I wonder if they will prove to be the more accurate ones.
    Also it might be the case that the 2-6% who refused to say in each poll may have been more shy-Trump rather than shy-Clinton.
    Still think Clinton wins but maybe something in the 280-290 EV range rather than the predicted 300+ EV that looked likely earlier.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631
    rcs1000 said:

Yes, just did the same. Send me to Fiji, Donald!
  • Options
    Trump is winning in downtown Detroit right now.
  • Options
    I don't have much money on anything. But I am annoyed that I am going to bed not knowing the result.
  • Options
    Data editor of Economist says calm down:

Dan Rosenheck ‏@DanRosenheck 3m3 minutes ago
    Remember that a) HRC does NOT need ANY of FL/OH/NC as long as she can hold her firewall and b) data so far do not suggest big polling error
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Fickle, or what?
This discussion has been closed.