Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Richmond Park battle with Zac is an absolutely must win fo

Comments

• Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,953
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

What an appalling, atrocious, and cowardly decision by Mrs May. She's yellow, sack up woman and defend your Heathrow decision. You wouldn't see Mrs Thatcher doing this with the wets.

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/790962858549010432

It's politically expedient at the expense of party management.
    Just imagine if those Tory MPs in constituencies that voted Remain start following Zac's lead....
    I didn't say it was a good decision, I'd put up a pro-HR3 candidate and let Zac win it by soft pedalling.
    I'd put up a pro-runway candidate, explaining that when the new runway opens there will be fewer planes flying over Richmond!!
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

Would it not have been more simple for Mt Goldsmith to honour his pedge to resign by offering his resignation to his local Conservative party? If they had refused it, he need not have gone the Chiltern Hundreds/by-election route.

It would have saved a lot of money.

Zac should just have resigned the party whip - except he promised to have a by-election if Heathrow chosen.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,187
    edited October 2016
    Alistair said:
    Trump has more appeal to AAs than Romney, especially as Hillary is less popular with the AA community than Obama
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631
    MikeK said:

What an appalling, atrocious, and cowardly decision by Mrs May. She's yellow, sack up woman and defend your Heathrow decision. You wouldn't see Mrs Thatcher doing this with the wets.

Will we see Boris Johnson campaigning against his own government's policy in a by election?
    Boris' Estury plan for a new airport was the most sensible from a growth and expansion point of view.
    Truly, it wasn't.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

Just imagine if those Tory MPs in constituencies that voted Remain start following Zac's lead....
    I've been a fan of Mrs May up until now, but if we won't stand a Conservative candidate in a by-election then we deserve to lose to the LDs.
    I disagree. The local Association did not want a candidate AFAIK. Mrs May has to respect the members.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    HYUFD said:

Alistair said:
    Trump has more appeal to AAs than Romney, especially as Hillary is less popular with the AA community than Obama
    Hahahaaha. You are Bill Mitchell and I claim my $5.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Sandpit said:

Alistair said:

Sandpit said:

https://twitter.com/FinancialTimes/status/790964369500889100
    Some insist that the EU doesn't mean to turn itself into a federal union with common tax rates. You could've fooled me...

What chance Ireland following us out, if this comes to pass...?
    Ireland being part of the EU is the basis of their tax arrangements with corps. No EU membership no favourable tax arrangements.
    So why would they bother staying in the EU, if that advantage is removed by a common corporate tax rate?
    It has never been about Ireland's tax rate. It has been about how Ireland allows transfer of European profits out of the EU so they are untaxed by any European country - not even Ireland. Ireland could have haf tax rates double the European average and corps would have still setup shop there
  • Options

MaxPB said:

then the govt would lose it's majority, there would be a GE, they'd be de-selected and out of a job within 6 weeks.

A good outcome.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,512
    MaxPB said:

MikeK said:

Will we see Boris Johnson campaigning against his own government's policy in a by election?
    Boris' Estury plan for a new airport was the most sensible from a growth and expansion point of view.
    Truly, it wasn't.
    Agree. As a practical proposition it was idiotic from the off. As a political proposition to win support from south west London residents it was a masterstroke.
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,237
    HYUFD said:

ToryJim said:

Shame. We could have given Richmond a proper Conservative to vote for not just an ego in a suit.
    Send the bugger a bill for wasting voters time. Twat.
    Well, hopefully that's what the electorate will do. The libs will make it all about hard brexit - send a message to May, Liam Fox and David Davis will be the content of every focus newsletter.
    It sends no message as Zac is not an official Conservative candidate May can dismiss any LD win as a protest at his waste of time and money. However if Zac wins it can be seen as a victory for a Brexiteer in a Remain seat, a blow to soft Brexiteers and EUphiles. May has played a blinder on this, it is win win for her!
    People aren't stupid. Goldsmith is a vote for hard brexit. Whether he's an out Tory or a closet Tory. The Libdems WILL make this BE about hard brexit.
  • Options
    Will Lib Dems parachute Vince Cable in as their candidate?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

I've been a fan of Mrs May up until now, but if we won't stand a Conservative candidate in a by-election then we deserve to lose to the LDs.
    I can understand why the Tories didn't stand in Batley and Spen, but this is just appalling.

On Agincourt day, I say unto Mrs May

That she which hath no stomach to this fight,
    Let her depart; her passport shall be made,
    And crowns for convoy put into her purse;
  • Options
    MikeK said:

Err, no. Wrong place, wrong plan. Great political posuring though.
  • Options

No. They have a prospective candidate in Sarah Olney, and Vince wants to get his old seat back.
  • Options
    Pong said:

If allowed a free run by the Cons, Zac wins this.

I think.

3/1 LD
    1/3 Zac

Would be my best stab at the odds.

Spot on Pong.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

I can understand why the Tories didn't stand in Batley and Spen, but this is just appalling.

Brexit is the Agincourt de nos jours.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,422
    Zac was hugely popular as seen in his GE2015 result. The shine, however, has gone off that to some extent following his London mayoral campaign which has been labelled as racist

I don't get this. As I posted on the previous thread, he secured 58.2% of the Richmond Park vote in the 2015 general election, and 57.0% of the first round vote there in the mayoral. If there was such a reaction against his campaign, you'd expect the figure to be well down - particularly given that it was an SV election and voters could take a free hit against him in the first round before transferring their vote. They didn't.

As for the by-election, I think it'll be very difficult to call and as Mike says, an enormous amount revolves around what Zac's status is. There, there are three main possibilities: the official Conservative candidate, an Independent with Conservative backing, and an Independent opposed by the Tories. I wouldn't like to call which one the party will go for but if it is the latter, I should think that motivating local workers to get out on the streets will be a tough ask.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    LBC confirming there will be no Tory candidate in the by-election.

Tory HQ will need somehow to agree to disregard its rules

• Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763

Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

Ah suck it up TSE

as you Cameroons said for years, youve nowhere else to go.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited October 2016
    Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

If she stands a candidate then it is a certain lose to the LDs, who will come through the middle. I fail to see the necessity for her to commit harakiri based on some misguided principle.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,187
    nunu said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:
    Hahahaaha. You are Bill Mitchell and I claim my $5.
    He does, African American males like a strong masculine leader, Mike Tyson and Don King both back Trump. Hillary will win African Americans comfortably but she will do less well than Obama because of African American males, few African American women will back Trump but their turnout will likely be less than 2012
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    MaxPB said:

MikeK said:

Truly, it wasn't.
    Oh it was. But the British have lost the will to decide something important for it's future for decades now.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,416

Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

Does that not go on to say that (s)he would not die in the company of such a man? I think you are losing a sense of perspective here.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    Pulpstar said:

Wonder if @MikeK will vote UKIP or Zac ?

Fairly certain Mike moved out of the constituency some time ago.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

I didn't say it was a good decision, I'd put up a pro-HR3 candidate and let Zac win it by soft pedalling.
    I'd put up a pro-runway candidate, explaining that when the new runway opens there will be fewer planes flying over Richmond!!
    If I were the party chairman I'd be pleading with Mrs May to put up a pro-HR3, pro-single market candidate. They might even be able to sneak through the middle drawing from the Lib Dems and pro-business Tories in Richmond who work in the City.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

ToryJim said:

Shame. We could have given Richmond a proper Conservative to vote for not just an ego in a suit.
    Send the bugger a bill for wasting voters time. Twat.
    Well, hopefully that's what the electorate will do. The libs will make it all about hard brexit - send a message to May, Liam Fox and David Davis will be the content of every focus newsletter.
    It sends no message as Zac is not an official Conservative candidate May can dismiss any LD win as a protest at his waste of time and money and she gets rid of the main troublemaker on Heathrow on her backbenches. However if Zac wins it can be seen as a victory for a Brexiteer in a Remain seat, a blow to soft Brexiteers and EUphiles. May has played a blinder on this, it is win win for her!
    Agreed.
  • Options

No. They have a prospective candidate in Sarah Olney, and Vince wants to get his old seat back.
    Sarah, who joined the joined the Lib Dems in May 2015, ............. :o
  • Options
    Robert Peston look like a down and out on ITV News. Has something growing above his broken top lip.
  • Options
    edited October 2016

Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

The Batley and Spen decision I could understand at the time under the circumstances, but this is just giving every Tory MP a chance to flounce, whether over the EU, boundary reform or A.N. Other issue of their own choosing.

I'm sure there's an enthusiastic pro-airport councillor in Richmond, who can draw lines on a map and show that the new runway takes planes away from Richmond and over Brentford instead.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

Brexit is the Agincourt de nos jours.
    One of our finest hours, for sure. A joy forever.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

MaxPB said:

MikeK said:

Truly, it wasn't.
    Oh it was. But the British have lost the will to decide something important for it's future for decades now.
    No, it was on the wrong side of London and regardless of the £40-50bn needed to build it (needing about £2bn per year in returns to be viable, Heathrow makes ~£600m) there were too many technical issues. A new airport would have to be south of St Albans but North of London to be viable in cost and location terms. Anything which isn't accessible by car is a non-starter.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,113
    MaxPB said:

MikeK said:

Truly, it wasn't.
    My view is that it was. There are big problems with it though; as indeed there are with HR3 and the inevitable HR4.

As an aside, a few weeks ago I was reading some documents from the early 1980s. People were arguing that redevelopment of Docklands was pointless as businesses would never move to the wasteland.

Chortle. :)
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MikeK said:

MaxPB said:

MikeK said:

Truly, it wasn't.
    No, it was on the wrong side of London and regardless of the £40-50bn needed to build it (needing about £2bn per year in returns to be viable, Heathrow makes ~£600m) there were too many technical issues. A new airport would have to be south of St Albans but North of London to be viable in cost and location terms. Anything which isn't accessible by car is a non-starter.
    just flatten Slough and build a brand new airport from scratch.

it will be cheaper.
  • Options
    TSE - I'm looking at you with furried brow and a sense of anguished puzzlement and mild disappointment, but affection undiminished.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,014
    No Conservative candidate seems bloody odd to me.
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,476

MaxPB said:

MikeK said:

MaxPB said:

MikeK said:

Truly, it wasn't.

it will be cheaper.
    The late John Betjeman would probably approve
  • Options

Sarah Olney was selected as Lib Dem candiadte in the event of a snap general election.

She was not selected as a high profile by-election candidate.

Vince Cable would be a better candidate and is an elderly white male, so has a better chance. :)
  • Options
    JohnO said:

TSE - I'm looking at you with furried brow and a sense of anguished puzzlement and mild disappointment, but affection undiminished.

I'm terribly disappointed in Mrs May.

Can you imagine Mrs Thatcher not putting up a candidate in a situation like this ?
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,476

Mr Dancer I think it makes sense in a narrow tactical sense. Strategically it's not good. I think the problem is in order to stand a candidate you'd have to suspend the local Conservative Association as they don't seem inclined to put up a candidate against Zac. That would not look good at all.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MikeK said:

MaxPB said:

MikeK said:

Truly, it wasn't.

it will be cheaper.
    Come friendly bombs and fall on Slough!
    It isn't fit for humans now,
    There isn't grass to graze a cow.
    Swarm over, Death!
    Come, bombs and blow to smithereens
    Those air -conditioned, bright canteens,
    Tinned fruit, tinned meat, tinned milk, tinned beans,
    Tinned minds, tinned breath.
    Mess up the mess they call a town-
    A house for ninety-seven down
    And once a week a half a crown
    For twenty years.
    And get that man with double chin
    Who'll always cheat and always win,
    Who washes his repulsive skin
    In women's tears:
    And smash his desk of polished oak
    And smash his hands so used to stroke
    And stop his boring dirty joke
    And make him yell.
    But spare the bald young clerks who add
    The profits of the stinking cad;
    It's not their fault that they are mad,
    They've tasted Hell.
    It's not their fault they do not know
    The birdsong from the radio,
    It's not their fault they often go
    To Maidenhead
    And talk of sport and makes of cars
    In various bogus-Tudor bars
    And daren't look up and see the stars
    But belch instead.
    In labour-saving homes, with care
    Their wives frizz out peroxide hair
    And dry it in synthetic air
    And paint their nails.
    Come, friendly bombs and fall on Slough
    To get it ready for the plough.
    The cabbages are coming now;
    The earth exhales.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MikeK said:

MaxPB said:

MikeK said:

Truly, it wasn't.

it will be cheaper.
    Surely the Green Belt round London was reserved for a new airport?
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976

Robert Peston look like a down and out on ITV News. Has something growing above his broken top lip.

Losing his wife to cancer and a bit of a midlife crisis appears to have turned him into a slob.
  • Options

JohnO said:

Can you imagine Mrs Thatcher not putting up a candidate in a situation like this ?
    Has it been confirmed that Goldsmith (for whom I have little love) will not be standing as a Tory?
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @Monksfield

'Send the bugger a bill for wasting voters time. Twat.'

Well, hopefully that's what the electorate will do. The libs will make it all about hard brexit - send a message to May, Liam Fox and David Davis will be the content of every focus newsletter.'

Lib Dems rattled already ?

• Options
    MaxPB said:

MikeK said:

MaxPB said:

MikeK said:

Truly, it wasn't.
    Rubbish. The whole point - and much of the reason for the cost - is transport improvements. It would also open up large areas for redevelopment; not just at Heathrow, but in North Kent and, depending on the precise plan, South Essex. And when comparing costs, you need to compare with the costs of expanding Heathrow to an equivalent four runways.

Heathrow is in utterly the wrong position; but it is what we have.

BTW, the latest Thames airport proposal is just part of a rather (ahem) grand scheme:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thames_Hub_integrated_infrastructure_vision
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,645
    Sandpit said:

Some insist that the EU doesn't mean to turn itself into a federal union with common tax rates. You could've fooled me...

What chance Ireland following us out, if this comes to pass...?
    When I voted remain - I did so believing that when the EU brought out plans for a an EU wide single health system, that would collapse support for the EU in the UK. And would lead, inevitably, to a lost referendum then. In fact I thought it might even not be a referendum - it might well be a vote in the Commons.
  • Options
    JohnO said:

JohnO said:

Has it been confirmed that Goldsmith (for whom I have little love) will not be standing as a Tory?
    Yes, he's standing as an Independent
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MikeK said:

MaxPB said:

MikeK said:

Truly, it wasn't.

it will be cheaper.
    Swarm over, Death!
    For twenty years.
    In women's tears:
    And make him yell.
    They've tasted Hell.
    To Maidenhead
    But belch instead.
    And paint their nails.
    The earth exhales.

The elite talking to the elite?
  • Options
    JohnO said:

JohnO said:

YES
  • Options

Losing his wife to cancer and a bit of a midlife crisis appears to have turned him into a slob.
    Movember?
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    edited October 2016

If Conservatives not fielding a candidate against Goldsmith, then this becomes an even more fascinating test of Lib Dem strength, and of the possible ability of Continuity Remain sentiment to motivate voters. If Goldsmith can defend successfully then, despite the fact that he'll be returned as an independent, this will still be a big boost for the Government.

I have lost count of the number of times we were reassured by OGH and friends before the EU Referendum that the public were not remotely interested in Europe and that the government was wasting its time banging on about it.... and now we are supposed to believe that these same disinterested voters are going to cast aside party loyalty and a large chunk of their other political beliefs to pursue the overriding issue that they are supposedly not interested in.

Shurely shome mishtake ?

(Edit: Spooky, in the line above I spelt "mishtake" without the "h" and Google spellcheck marked it as an error and suggested the final version as a correction!)
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MikeK said:

MaxPB said:

MikeK said:

Truly, it wasn't.

it will be cheaper.
    Much of the cost of a new airport could be defrayed by selling Heathrow as prime building land - brilliant communications with the rest of London, power, water etc etc. Plus the locals would have no problem with noisy construction.... How much would Heathrow be worth in that form - 30 billion? More?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

Does that not go on to say that (s)he would not die in the company of such a man? I think you are losing a sense of perspective here.
    Is TSE holding Mrs May's manhood cheap?

:innocent:
  • Options
    edited October 2016

MaxPB said:

MikeK said:

MaxPB said:

MikeK said:

Truly, it wasn't.

it will be cheaper.
    LOL.

On that topic, a radio advert heard in Dubai today. "Invest in premium London property in Staines-upon-Thames, with prices starting from only £340,000 with rental returns averaging 4.5%, call Knight Frank today"

Some charlatan is selling off-plan studio apartments in Staines to international investors at trumped-up prices on the back of the Sterling devaluation.

I can't work out if the foreign investment is a good thing, or if there will be an almighty backlash from the buyers when they realise what and where they've bought.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,014
    Anyway, I'm off to see whether the PS4 Tomb Raider bug has been resolved. And also to read some of the latter pages of Thucydides' history of the Peloponnesian War.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MikeK said:

MaxPB said:

MikeK said:

Truly, it wasn't.

it will be cheaper.
    Much of the cost of a new airport could be defrayed by selling Heathrow as prime building land - brilliant communications with the rest of London, power, water etc etc. Plus the locals would have no problem with noisy construction.... How much would Heathrow be worth in that form - 30 billion? More?
    absolutely.

build a new airport from scratch and estate agents will have a field day in redeveloping west London

it's not as if there's anything much worth preserving in the capital :-)
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

MikeK said:

MaxPB said:

MikeK said:

Truly, it wasn't.

it will be cheaper.
    LOL.

On that topic, a radio advert heard in Dubai today. "Invest in premium London property in Staines-upon-Thames, with prices starting from only £340,000 with rental returns averaging 4.5%, call Knight Frank today"

Some charlatan is selling off-plan studio apartments in Staines to international investors at trumped-up prices on the back of the Sterling devaluation.

I can't work out if the foreign investment is a good thing, or if there will be an almighty backlash from the buyers when they realise what and where they've bought.
    Remember the Hollywood studio sold to the Japanese? The original owners bought it back in the end. For a profit.

Yes, the building boom in flats will die at some point. Leaving alot of cheap(er) flats. The only real concern is the effect on the banks of the bad loans that will be involved...
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341

It is all shaping up quite badly for Ireland.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,021
    ToryJim said:

Mr Dancer I think it makes sense in a narrow tactical sense. Strategically it's not good. I think the problem is in order to stand a candidate you'd have to suspend the local Conservative Association as they don't seem inclined to put up a candidate against Zac. That would not look good at all.
    Even tactically it could be a problem. The LDs should pick a candidate who's anti-Heathrow to neutralise that issue, and then make it a campaign about Brexit. That provides them with a clearer road to victory than they'd have if they were also to face a Conservative candidate more in touch with local sentiment on Brexit. As a west London resident myself, most of us have accepted LHR3 is going to happen, and it's not really something that exercises the majority too greatly.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MikeK said:

MaxPB said:

MikeK said:

Truly, it wasn't.

it will be cheaper.
    Agreed. There is also the major uplift in the value of surrounding land. Most of the traffic from Heathrow are personal travellers and freight. Business travel at Heathrow is a small part yet is listed a the main reason for change. Madness, when there will be no new runway this side of 2026 at Heathrow.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    Indigo said:

If Conservatives not fielding a candidate against Goldsmith, then this becomes an even more fascinating test of Lib Dem strength, and of the possible ability of Continuity Remain sentiment to motivate voters. If Goldsmith can defend successfully then, despite the fact that he'll be returned as an independent, this will still be a big boost for the Government.

I have lost count of the number of times we were reassured by OGH and friends before the EU Referendum that the public were not remotely interested in Europe and that the government was wasting its time banging on about it.... and now we are supposed to believe that these same disinterested voters are going to cast aside party loyalty and a large chunk of their other political beliefs to pursue the overriding issue that they are supposedly not interested in.

Shurely shome mishtake ?

(Edit: Spooky, in the line above I spelt "mishtake" without the "h" and Google spellcheck marked it as an error and suggested the final version as a correction!)
    Private Eye reader?
  • Options

JohnO said:

JohnO said:

Yes, he's standing as an Independent
    tsk

Camron A lister goes wrong.

how many times have we seen this ?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MikeK said:

MaxPB said:

MikeK said:

Truly, it wasn't.

it will be cheaper.
    Swarm over, Death!
    For twenty years.
    In women's tears:
    And make him yell.
    They've tasted Hell.
    To Maidenhead
    But belch instead.
    And paint their nails.
    The earth exhales.
    Betjeman was a silly snob of the Thornberry or Parris variety. His little jingle is revolting,
  • Options
    chestnut said:

It is all shaping up quite badly for Ireland.
    There are also the increases in contributions to the EU that Eire will have to be making each year.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MikeK said:

MaxPB said:

MikeK said:

Truly, it wasn't.

it will be cheaper.
    Yes, but the new airport will still be the wrong side of London for most of its customers on the M4 and M3 corridors.

Any new airport needs to go in Cublingdon, where it was suggested as long ago as 1972. Otherwise expand Heathrow and start yesterday.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MikeK said:

MaxPB said:

MikeK said:

Truly, it wasn't.

it will be cheaper.
    absolutely.

build a new airport from scratch and estate agents will have a field day in redeveloping west London

It's just I never understood this idea that if you moved the airport from Heathrow, the results would be a howling wasteland at Heathrow. The land is too valuable.....
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MikeK said:

MaxPB said:

MikeK said:

Truly, it wasn't.

it will be cheaper.
    absolutely. build a new airport from scratch and estate agents will have a field day in redeveloping west London
    One plane crash on the way down to Heathrow would be cataclysmic. How do they get by elf and safety?
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    dr_spyn said:
    So why doesn't he just resign the whip? What is the point of the by-election? #bonkers
  • Options
    Arizona - Monmouth - Sample 401 - 20-23 Oct

Clinton 45 .. Trump 46

https://www.monmouth.edu/polling-institute/reports/MonmouthPoll_AZ_102516/
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

MikeK said:

MaxPB said:

MikeK said:

Truly, it wasn't.

it will be cheaper.
    Yes, but the new airport will still be the wrong side of London for most of its customers on the M4 and M3 corridors.

Any new airport needs to go in Cublingdon, where it was suggested as long ago as 1972. Otherwise expand Heathrow and start yesterday.
    The freight customer warehouses etc can easily be re-located to the East.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MikeK said:

MaxPB said:

MikeK said:

Truly, it wasn't.

it will be cheaper.
    Swarm over, Death!
    For twenty years.
    In women's tears:
    And make him yell.
    They've tasted Hell.
    To Maidenhead
    But belch instead.
    And paint their nails.
    The earth exhales.
    Betjeman was a silly snob of the Thornberry or Parris variety. His little jingle is revolting,
    Indeed. But he also undoubtedly improved the look and feel of our towns and cities.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MikeK said:

MaxPB said:

MikeK said:

Truly, it wasn't.

it will be cheaper.
    Agreed. There is also the major uplift in the value of surrounding land. Most of the traffic from Heathrow are personal travellers and freight. Business travel at Heathrow is a small part yet is listed a the main reason for change. Madness, when there will be no new runway this side of 2026 at Heathrow.
    Most of Heathrow is business traffic. The holiday charters all go from STN or LGW.

They're talking about 2026 as the *start* of construction on the new runway. Dubai will have their new 6-runway airport in the desert finished by then!
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited October 2016
    Zac Goldsmith: "This must be a referendum on Heathrow expansion". Except it won't be: it'll be a referendum on Brexit.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MikeK said:

MaxPB said:

MikeK said:

Truly, it wasn't.

it will be cheaper.
    Swarm over, Death!
    For twenty years.
    In women's tears:
    And make him yell.
    They've tasted Hell.
    To Maidenhead
    But belch instead.
    And paint their nails.
    The earth exhales.
    Hate speech?
  • Options
    Dadge said:

dr_spyn said:
    So why doesn't he just resign the whip? What is the point of the by-election? #bonkers
    Zac promised a by-election if Heathrow chosen for third runway.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MikeK said:

MaxPB said:

MikeK said:

Truly, it wasn't.

it will be cheaper.
    absolutely.

It's just I never understood this idea that if you moved the airport from Heathrow, the results would be a howling wasteland at Heathrow. The land is too valuable.....
    The idea of Boris island was the point when I started taking Boris seriously as a Leader. He has a sense of real vision and insight into tackling major issues.
  • Options

I thought he fell off his bike the other day?
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,880

Sarah Olney was selected as Lib Dem candiadte in the event of a snap general election.

Vince Cable would be a better candidate and is an elderly white male, so has a better chance. :)
    It's a high risk move for the LDs but he would provide a seasoned, credible economic voice against Brexit where the Tories are currently vulnerable and the LDs don't have (their treasury spokeman is in the Lords)z

But he may not be up for it, and he might be getting on a bit too. Also Farron might not trust him.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MikeK said:

MaxPB said:

MikeK said:

Truly, it wasn't.

it will be cheaper.
    absolutely. build a new airport from scratch and estate agents will have a field day in redeveloping west London
    One plane crash on the way down to Heathrow would be cataclysmic. How do they get by elf and safety?
    They came a lot closer than most people realise, a few years ago.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Airways_Flight_38
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

LBC confirming there will be no Tory candidate in the by-election.

Tory HQ will need somehow to agree to disregard its rules

Which rule is that? I've only scanned them quickly so I may have missed something but I can't see anything in the party's rules requiring them to stand a candidate in every election, nor can I see anything requiring them to put up a candidate when the local association doesn't want to fight the election.

If they did put up a candidate they would have to expel Goldsmith for standing in an election against the official candidate (Schedule 6, para 13).
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited October 2016
    MaxPB said:

MikeK said:

MaxPB said:

MikeK said:

Truly, it wasn't.
    Why would it have mattered which side it was on as long as you have a fast rail link to central London? Also it would have meant that you could have all the latest facilities instead of adding them on to antiquated buildings and infrastructure at Heathrow.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,015

MaxPB said:

MikeK said:

MaxPB said:

MikeK said:

Truly, it wasn't.

it will be cheaper.
    absolutely.

The idea of Boris island was the point when I started taking Boris seriously as a Leader. He has a sense of real vision and insight into tackling major issues.
    By sticking an airport in the middle of nowhere?
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    MP_SE said:

Indigo said:

Shurely shome mishtake ?

Private Eye reader?
    Used to be, seems the Google spell checker still is!
  • Options
    Zac Goldsmith is the elite of the elite.

How will the ordinary elite of Richmond feel about voting for him?
  • Options
    john_zims said:

@Monksfield

'Send the bugger a bill for wasting voters time. Twat.'

Well, hopefully that's what the electorate will do. The libs will make it all about hard brexit - send a message to May, Liam Fox and David Davis will be the content of every focus newsletter.'

Lib Dems rattled already ?

I'd imagine they're champing at the bit, unlike frit cruella
  • Options
    National Tracker - Times-Picayune/Lucid - Sample 2,609 - 22-24 Oct

Clinton 44 .. Trump 38

https://luc.id/2016-presidential-tracker/

• Options

It's a high risk move for the LDs but he would provide a seasoned, credible economic voice against Brexit where the Tories are currently vulnerable and the LDs don't have (their treasury spokeman is in the Lords)z

But he may not be up for it, and he might be getting on a bit too. Also Farron might not trust him.
    I thought remainers were aginst decrepit old bastards taking opportunities away from young people ?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

MikeK said:

MaxPB said:

MikeK said:

Truly, it wasn't.

it will be cheaper.
    Most of Heathrow is business traffic. The holiday charters all go from STN or LGW......
    Main site is down so here is an article.
    "Three out of 10 passengers using Heathrow are travelling for business, 70 per cent for leisure. "
    http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/475537/London-Heathrow-the-best-facts-stats-and-trivia-behind-the-UK-s-busiest-airport

Heathrow is mainly leisure travel and freight.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MikeK said:

MaxPB said:

MikeK said:

Truly, it wasn't.

it will be cheaper.
    absolutely.

You have got to be joking. It was only a political stunt.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,162
    RobD said:

MaxPB said:

MikeK said:

MaxPB said:

MikeK said:

Truly, it wasn't.

it will be cheaper.
    absolutely.

Come on, it's not like he suggested putting a major hub in Atlanta...
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

MaxPB said:

MikeK said:

MaxPB said:

MikeK said:

Truly, it wasn't.
    Why would it have mattered which side it was on as long as you have a fast rail link to central London? Also it would have meant that you could have all the latest facilities instead of adding them on to antiquated buildings and infrastructure at Heathrow.
    Because a lot of people drive.
  • Options
    RobD said:

MaxPB said:

MikeK said:

MaxPB said:

MikeK said:

Truly, it wasn't.

it will be cheaper.
    absolutely.

You're right. Instead, let's put the airport in the middle of 'somewhere' by demolishing Central London. If we get the position right we wont have to bother about the cost of renovating the Houses of Parliament either. ;)
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,926
    dr_spyn said:
    That's a poor decision given Zack is standing as an Indy.

Got to say, if I lived in Richmond I'd be voting Lib-Dem (even though I voted LEAVE, support Heathrow and T May)

Posh Boy Zack should be thrown out of public life and the Tories need to bloody nose for not fielding their own candidate.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

MaxPB said:

MikeK said:

MaxPB said:

MikeK said:

Truly, it wasn't.
    Because there's thousands of businesses on the M4 and M3 corridors that are deliberately located close to the airport. A significant number of people leaving LHR travel west, rather than east into London.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,008

I wouldn't campaign for Vince. I'd sit it out.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,686
    May's decision in Richmond suggests to me she is still more worried about having sufficient HoC votes for Brexit with her small majority than anything else.

I take this to mean she is still not planning to hold an early GE. But DYOR.
  • Options
    edited October 2016

You're right. Instead, let's put the airport in the middle of 'somewhere' by demolishing Central London. If we get the position right we wont have to bother about the cost of renovating the Houses of Parliament either. ;)

If we were picking a new ideal site then somewhere around Watford is the ideal spot. Loads of transport links, fast links to Euston, the Met line is a lot faster than the Piccadilly line and the flight path could be directed over empty land. Between the A41 and M25 is what I remember researching at one time.
This discussion has been closed.