Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Richmond Park battle with Zac is an absolutely must win fo

Comments

• Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,906
    edited October 2016
    A luddite racist brexiteer.

The future's bright. The future's orange
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,006

Barnesian said:

Pulpstar said:

The bookies seem to have woken up (Hills at 5-6 the pair), bit sad I don't live near a Paddy shop right now though.

Yes. PP still at 11/8 for Zac. I'm now allowed 34 pence on him.
    ... and they've gone to 5/6
    ... now 4/6.. The bookies got their original prices badly wrong.
    Good opportunity if you were quick.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    edited October 2016
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

The bookies seem to have woken up (Hills at 5-6 the pair), bit sad I don't live near a Paddy shop right now though.

I just came on to say how annoyed I was having got 100 @ 2.1 on the LD PP would only let me have 49.40 @ 2.37 on Zac!

May have to lay off at my leisure.
    :D You have £32.32 on the yellow peril at 2.87
    Good numbers Pulps, but you're a smidge late. I laid off the LDs for £10 @ 2.02 (do keep up at the back) giving me £22 on the LDs @ 3.26. £20 is a loss I can handle. I'll probably wait and see if I can go all green, since I don't have a strong view on this one.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,896
    Evening all :)

Fortune favours the fortunate once again it would seem and Theresa May finds herself in a win-win situation.

IF Zac wins the LDs suffer a setback (but no more) and presumably for all his so called independence Goldsmith will, after a suitable time, rediscover his conservatism and be admitted back into the tribe.

IF the LDs do win the seat Goldsmith is out of the picture and a new loyal Conservative can, with copious help from CCHQ return Richmond Park to the glorious Conservative fold.

No it's all worked out just fine for the Blessed Theresa.

Unless of course the local party decide to defy her, dump Zac and pick an official Conservative candidate.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,746
    So which party will field a candidate supporting the government's policy on LHR3? UKIP?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

I just came on to say how annoyed I was having got 100 @ 2.1 on the LD PP would only let me have 49.40 @ 2.37 on Zac!

May have to lay off at my leisure.
    :D You have £32.32 on the yellow peril at 2.87
    Good numbers Pulps, but you're a smidge late. I laid off the LDs for £10 @ 2.02 (do keep up at the back) giving me £22 on the LDs @ 3.26. £20 is a loss I can handle. I'll probably wait and see if I can go all green, since I don't have a strong view on this one.
    I'm +15.88 Zac, +2.56 LD -79.94 "The Corbyn UKIP nightmare"

Was fast off the blocks and did all the right moves this time round, but was very limited.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    edited October 2016
    Is Zak a bit.. Reckless in resigning?
  • Options

Is Zak a bit.. Reckless in resigning?

Good point, whoever (Zac or the LDs) wins this probably loses the seat at the next GE.
  • Options
    FOP & NC - ESA/Auto Alliance - Samples - All 875 - 17-24 Oct

FL - Clinton 46 .. Trump 43
    OH - Clinton 42 .. Trump 44
    PA - Clinton 45 .. Trump 40
    NC - Clinton 46 .. Trump 43

http://www.allianceesapoll.com/new-poll-results.html
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    JackW said:
    That's an incredibly aggressive LV screen . 0% non voters from 2012? You are having a giraffe.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    How quickly can we expect Zac's campaign to be up and running? I would like to donate both money and my time to it.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,906
    edited October 2016

TOPPING said:

Dromedary said:

If May were a competent leader, she would hold a vote in the full cabinet and if she won it, tell the minority to lump it or leave. If she lost it, then she herself would either lump it or leave. Instead we're going to have months of the media presenting as the "opposition" something that's occurring within Tory ranks. First it was the "wets", then the "bastards", and now it's the runway opponents. In between, it was the Blairites versus the Brownites, whatever on earth that may have denoted, during a decade of having the same two men as PM and chancellor. Sure, the airport contract is big money, but how important is it compared to major issues in the country? The Tory party is so pathetic that it can't run a candidate against some silly boy who's resigned his seat to stick two fingers up at the government? Hasn't anyone in it got the courage of their convictions? Maybe just hand the government over to Zac Goldsmith?

Well put.
    We keep hearing this sh!t of 'courage of their convictions' sometimes people with courage of their convictions are dangerous people with views that no one can change,better to have a listening PM.

On the tories not running against Zac,well done Theresa,this will turn into a remain/leave fight - especially from the lib dems and the tories need all the leave MP's they can get.

Let the courage of his convictions candidate sort this mess out with a little help from the high command.
    But she's so lacking in imagination. Everything about her is so retro and not in a good way. Grammar schools ..Heathrow ...Boris... naming and shaming ..... sending trucks into immigrant areas telling them to 'Go Home'.

A complete shit when you think about it.....
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,464
    Roger said:

But she's so lacking in imagination. Everything about her is so retro and not in a good way. Grammar schools ..Heathrow ...Boris... naming and shaming ..... sending trucks into immigrant areas of telling immigrants to 'Go Home'.

A complete shit when you think about it.....

Almost like the jezziah...but only almost. No way would he last six seconds let alone six years in a Cabinet post.

Indeed both main parties seem to have a back to the 70s yen at the moment, despite the fact that it's also clear neither of them have the least idea of what that means save some vague idea of 'the good old days'.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    LDs starting to drift.

Mike can you tweet about how they're going to win please !!
  • Options
    ToryJim said:
    He already launched a dozen scathing attacks on Trump. Of course in the US system, secretaries need not particularly share the leader's view.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Peter Tatchell in The Times: (£)

"Bakers should have the right not to make a ‘gay cake’
    Judges’ ruling is a authoritarian blow against freedom of expression"

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/comment/bakers-should-have-the-right-not-to-make-a-gay-cake-c00c2ddfb
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/comment/bakers-should-have-the-right-not-to-make-a-gay-cake-c00c2ddfb

That'll get him no platformed at lefty gatherings like the NUS conferences.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,405
    MP_SE said:

How quickly can we expect Zac's campaign to be up and running? I would like to donate both money and my time to it.

What does he represent?
  • Options

LDs starting to drift.

You'll be out delivering focus leaflets by the end of the week ;)
  • Options
    Taeku Lee in the "Huffington Post" assesses the growth of the Asian American vote in US elections :

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/latino-decisions/asian-american-voters-in_b_12637044.html?section=us_politics
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited October 2016
    MP_SE said:

What you need to do is log onto zac's special donation portal at www.betfair.com, navigate to "Richmond Byelection" and then click on the blue box next to "Zac Goldsmith."

Don't worry about the "odds" - just put in a number below 1.52 - and your donation amount in the "stake" box.

Once you've hit "place bets" Pong gets to cash out of the market at something approaching fair odds your donation to Zac's reelection campaign fund will have been successfully processed.

Hope that helps.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,925
    Roger said:

A luddite racist brexiteer.

The future's bright. The future's orange

Brexit or no Brexit I'm sure you'll still be allowed to stay in your multi-million pound mansions on the Cote D' Azur! :smiley:
  • Options
    BromptonautBromptonaut Posts: 1,113
    Right on cue.

RichmondPark: a reminder that @ZacGoldsmith ran an obnoxious dog-whistle Mayoral campaign, & voted for Brexit in a 70% Remain constituency. https://t.co/2t9oE2veMm
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

Zac's Muslim-bashing, Hindu gold-hoarding racist campaign will drag itself out of the fetid swamp to which it was cast and sink its rotting gums into his squidgy backside over the next few days, as sure as rotten eggs are rotten eggs.

Don't know why he didn't have a backbone about his awful campaign for Mayor but has one now, I don't believe he was fully behind that campaign tbh.
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,626
    https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/oct/25/costa-coffee-owner-whitbread-wages-need-rise-brexit-shrinks-worker-pool

"Whitbread’s boss has warned wages will be pushed up with a potential knock-on impact for prices if Brexit shrinks the pool of workers available to the owner of Costa and Premier Inn. Alison Brittain, Whitbread’s chief executive, said about a fifth of her 50,000 UK employees came from other EU countries , with the figureshigher in London and other cities and large towns. If there were fewer EU workers that would affect wages at Whitbread and other businesses, she said."

Observations:
    1. This is this excellent news for the low paid and exactly the reason why many voted for Brexit.
    2. Shame then that the Guardian sees fit to report it as a "warning".
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Pulpstar said:

LDs starting to drift.

You'll be out delivering focus leaflets by the end of the week ;)
    Given my exposure on Zac is now £7, I think not . {-7.32/+34.70}

Only a shock rise of A N Other would have me out campaigning!
  • Options
    Exclusive: leaked recording shows what Theresa May really thinks about Brexit

Secret audio of Goldman Sachs talk in May shows she wanted the UK to lead in Europe and feared businesses would leave

Theresa May privately warned that companies would leave the UK if the country voted for Brexit during a secret audience with investment bankers a month before the EU referendum.

A recording of her remarks to Goldman Sachs, leaked to the Guardian, reveals she had numerous concerns about Britain leaving the EU. It contrasts with her nuanced public speeches, which dismayed remain campaigners before the vote in June.

Speaking at the bank in London on 26 May, the then home secretary appeared to go further than her public remarks to explain more clearly the economic benefits of staying in the EU. She told staff it was time the UK took a lead in Europe, and that she hoped voters would look to the future rather than the past.

In an hour-long session before the City bankers, she also worried about the effect of Brexit on the British economy.

“I think the economic arguments are clear,” she said. “I think being part of a 500-million trading bloc is significant for us. I think, as I was saying to you a little earlier, that one of the issues is that a lot of people will invest here in the UK because it is the UK in Europe.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/oct/25/exclusive-leaked-recording-shows-what-theresa-may-really-thinks-about-brexit?CMP=share_btn_tw
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Theresa May privately warned that companies would leave the UK if the country voted for Brexit during a secret audience with investment bankers a month before the EU referendum.

A recording of her remarks to Goldman Sachs, leaked to the Guardian, reveals she had numerous concerns about Britain leaving the EU. It contrasts with her nuanced public speeches, which dismayed remain campaigners before the vote in June.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/oct/25/exclusive-leaked-recording-shows-what-theresa-may-really-thinks-about-brexit
  • Options
    619619 Posts: 1,784
  • Options

Secret audio of Goldman Sachs talk in May shows she wanted the UK to lead in Europe and feared businesses would leave

Speaking at the bank in London on 26 May, the then home secretary appeared to go further than her public remarks to explain more clearly the economic benefits of staying in the EU. She told staff it was time the UK took a lead in Europe, and that she hoped voters would look to the future rather than the past.

In an hour-long session before the City bankers, she also worried about the effect of Brexit on the British economy.

“I think the economic arguments are clear,” she said. “I think being part of a 500-million trading bloc is significant for us. I think, as I was saying to you a little earlier, that one of the issues is that a lot of people will invest here in the UK because it is the UK in Europe.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/oct/25/exclusive-leaked-recording-shows-what-theresa-may-really-thinks-about-brexit?CMP=share_btn_tw

Well, at least that's a slightly more developed vision of what Brexit means.
  • Options

Still not clear on what the story is there. May's position was that the economy said in and immigration said out.
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807

Right on cue.

RichmondPark: a reminder that @ZacGoldsmith ran an obnoxious dog-whistle Mayoral campaign, & voted for Brexit in a 70% Remain constituency. https://t.co/2t9oE2veMm

That really is gutter stuff. I forgot just how mendacious that campaign was. It brought shame on Goldsmith and the party.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    TOPPING said:

MP_SE said:

What does he represent?
    I would rather he gets re-elected than see some Eurofanatic Lib Dem win.
  • Options
    619 said:
    I don't understand the data, at least as Luntz gives it.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/oct/25/exclusive-leaked-recording-shows-what-theresa-may-really-thinks-about-brexit

Wasn't she a Remainer? Hardly surprising and not hypocritical. What is the story?
  • Options

619 said:
    R's usually start w/HUGE EV advantage, which whittles down by elex-day. This time? Already gone!
  • Options
    538 seem to be the site publishing the most immediate updates to US polling, quicker even than Jack W:

http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2016-election-forecast/updates/

Clinton still given an 85% probability.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    edited October 2016
    Soooooo......

1) Zac quits lib Dems win seat, Heathrow extension gets built anyway.
    2) Alternatively Zac quits wins as independent , lib Dems come oh so close and Heathrow extension gets built anyway.
    3) Zac quits, Labout get a landslide, lib dems and Zac as independent lose deposits and Heathrow extension gets built anyway. ( ok maybe not Labour)

Either way Heathrow extension gets built unless Zac lies in front of an earth mover as a token as an independent which either way makes Zac look like a rather elongated dipstick.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,612
    edited October 2016
    Does this mean Wikileaks is going to be releasing stuff about Theresa May's secret speeches to banks?

I'm not sure the PB server will be able to cope with the inevitable spam tweets
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

TOPPING said:

MP_SE said:

What does he represent?
    Taking their MP count to nine?

Vote for a Conservative candidate. What a shame they won't put one up.
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

Soooooo......

2) Alternatively Zac quits wins as independent , lib Dems come oh so close and Heathrow extension gets built anyway.
    3) Zac quits, Labout get a landslide, lib dems and Zac as independent lose deposits and Heathrow extension gets built anyway. ( ok maybe not Labour)

Either way Heathrow extension gets built unless Zac lies in front of an earth mover as a token as an independent which either way makes Zac look like a rather elongated dipstick.

If he wore a white suit the visual effect would be more impressive.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,997
    edited October 2016

AndyJS said:

That'll get him no platformed at lefty gatherings like the NUS conferences.
    IIRC, Tatchell has already been no-platformed, for opposing human rights abuses in Zimbabwe.

NB My mistake. Student activists have refused to debate with him because he supports free speech on campus.
  • Options

Does this mean Wikileaks is going to be releasing stuff about Theresa May's secret speeches to banks?

I'm not sure the PB server will be able to cope with the inevitable spam tweets

It's just WTF virtue signalling x100 from PB and the MSM. Waycist!
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    MP_SE said:

TOPPING said:

MP_SE said:

What does he represent?
    Same here.
  • Options
    Has anyone seen any statement from the Govt as to what we the tax payers will be funding to assist this expansion of Heathrow? Tfl listed a couple of numbers and then there is compensation, land costs, roads etc etc.
  • Options
    SaltireSaltire Posts: 525
    What is Zac's plan if he wins as an independent?
    Does he re-join the Government benches in Parliament as a Con or as an Independent or would he join the opposition benches?
    Also it does make it awkward for the local Conservative party members to join his campaign which is really in protest about their own party. If he has any problems getting help from the local party then his campaign may well be swamped by the newly invigorated Libdem by-election machine.
  • Options

Observations:
    1. This is this excellent news for the low paid and exactly the reason why many voted for Brexit.

Yes. As if the Guardian and its readers ever cared about the low paid working class people of this country.
  • Options
    619 said:

619 said:
    R's usually start w/HUGE EV advantage, which whittles down by elex-day. This time? Already gone!
    The US has a peculiar trait of (1) allowing voters to register either as Democrats or Republicans (or as something else if anything), then (2) to allow early voting in person in many states which could this year account for 35%+ of all ballots cast and then (3) to publish daily totals by party affiliation that can be compared with previous years at the same period.

This is real data, in contrast to all the random variation, house effects and speculation inherent in interpreting polling, and gives a huge additional insight into the way things are starting to turn out.

For example, Nevada too looks good for the Democrats:

:http://www.ktnv.com/news/ralston/the-nevada-early-voting-blog
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341

A whole heap of nowt.
  • Options
    Not the actions of a man who is winning. Rather, he is trying to fuck over the GOP

https://twitter.com/JohnJHarwood/status/791026176542277632
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,061

Scott_P said:

Wasn't she a Remainer? Hardly surprising and not hypocritical. What is the story?
    That she had concerns is not surprising given she was indeed a Remainer. It's only remarkable because you'd hardly know she had been a Remainer, since the spin (and fanboy message) since she became PM has not been 'I did not personally vote for this but the people did, and we can and will make a success of it' and more 'Leaving is awesome, anyone who raises any concerns, even if they were a Leaver too, is a Remoaning loser'.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,997

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/oct/25/costa-coffee-owner-whitbread-wages-need-rise-brexit-shrinks-worker-pool

"Whitbread’s boss has warned wages will be pushed up with a potential knock-on impact for prices if Brexit shrinks the pool of workers available to the owner of Costa and Premier Inn. Alison Brittain, Whitbread’s chief executive, said about a fifth of her 50,000 UK employees came from other EU countries , with the figureshigher in London and other cities and large towns. If there were fewer EU workers that would affect wages at Whitbread and other businesses, she said."

Observations:

But, it's very bad news if you're someone who benefits from lashing the workers.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

That she had concerns is not surprising given she was indeed a Remainer. It's only remarkable because you'd hardly know she had been a Remainer, since the spin (and fanboy message) since she became PM has not been 'I did not personally vote for this but the people did, and we can and will make a success of it' and more 'Leaving is awesome, anyone who raises any concerns, even if they were a Leaver too, is a Remoaning loser'.
    She probably realises it makes more sense when you are in charge of running a country to deal with the reality rather than sulk because something didn't go your way.
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

Soooooo......

As well as the formidable legal problems, there are enormous financial problems such as who is going to pay? This is totally unclear at the moment but will become clearer during the coming months.

For sure, the foreign owners of Heathrow won't pay. They intend to make a profit on it.

It will be a combination of massive hikes in airport charges on passengers - which is why British Airways is adamantly against it. And the massive multi billion pound changes to the M25 near the M4 junction will be funded by the taxpayer for the benefit of the owners of Heathrow. That will be popular.

We need extra airport capacity, but as Zac says, the Heathrow expansion will be an embarrassing millstone for the Government, but much worse, it won't get built - and we'll still need the capacity. Meanwhile Gatwick is shovel ready. What a disaster!
  • Options
    Where's Scrapheap?
  • Options
    FernandoFernando Posts: 145
    Is there an official Libdem position on the expansion of London's airports?
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    How much is Zak going to cost the taxpayer with his pointless abdication?
  • Options
    andreaandrea Posts: 1
    "To be frank I had been getting concerned about what we’d be doing on the site after the November 8th US election"

Italian Referendum?
    French Primaries?
    French elections?
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,880
    andrea said:

"To be frank I had been getting concerned about what we’d be doing on the site after the November 8th US election"

Italian Referendum?
    French Primaries?
    French elections?

Iceland election on Saturday.
    Apparently the Pirate Party are ahead in the polls: http://m.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=11734737
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

andrea said:

Italian Referendum?
    French Primaries?
    French elections?

Apparently the Pirate Party are ahead in the polls: http://m.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=11734737
    Why are the Pirate Party doing so well?

Because they aaaaaargh.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

Yes, there is a quiet fascism about Brexit. All those with conscientious objections must be silenced. May is, as you say, culpable.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,149

619 said:
    In an election where one candidate is a Democrat and the other is an outsider who stole the Republicans' colours, surely this kind of inference is liable to be wide of the mark.
  • Options

Observations:

Yes. As if the Guardian and its readers ever cared about the low paid working class people of this country.

Clearly, no-one who supported this and the previous government's welfare spending and public services cuts could possibly claim to care about low paid working class people either.

• Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,422
    Saltire said:

Does he re-join the Government benches in Parliament as a Con or as an Independent or would he join the opposition benches?
    Also it does make it awkward for the local Conservative party members to join his campaign which is really in protest about their own party. If he has any problems getting help from the local party then his campaign may well be swamped by the newly invigorated Libdem by-election machine.

One reason there's no official Conservative might well be to avoid having to process mass expulsions in the local party as members trot off to support Zac.
  • Options

Observations:

It's reporting that she was issuing a warning. Can't see that is a problem.

• Options
    Jobabob said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

Yes, there is a quiet fascism about Brexit. All those with conscientious objections must be silenced. May is, as you say, culpable.

It's hardly quiet! It's deafening. And it's very revealing.

• Options
    So difficult to tell the difference between a Trumper and satire

https://twitter.com/ScottAdamsSays/status/791022440377782272
  • Options

So difficult to tell the difference between a Trumper and satire

https://twitter.com/ScottAdamsSays/status/791022440377782272

scott adams is almost as bad as bill mitchell

https://twitter.com/mitchellvii/status/791029818762653696
  • Options

Jobabob said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

Almost none of the people who've advocated leaving the European Union over the years actually imagined that it could happen, or that they could have some responsibility in making it happen smoothly. They just indulged their fantasies that one day the 'evil EUSSR' would come crashing down and they could say, "I told you so." The prospect that the EU will go on happily without us is what keeps many of them awake at night.
  • Options
    nielhnielh Posts: 1,307

andrea said:

Italian Referendum?
    French Primaries?
    French elections?

I don't think the Icelandic election is a barometer of anything (population 300,000), but it is interesting the way in which all the establishment parties have fallen and now a party of computer hackers are front runners (albeit amidst a crowded field).
    Arguably Jon Gnarr and the best party as Mayor of Reykjavik (2010-2014) was the best post truth politician. Check out his campaign video below.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxBW4mPzv6E
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Almost none of the people who've advocated leaving the European Union over the years actually imagined that it could happen, or that they could have some responsibility in making it happen smoothly. They just indulged their fantasies that one day the 'evil EUSSR' would come crashing down and they could say, "I told you so." The prospect that the EU will go on happily without us is what keeps many of them awake at night.

https://twitter.com/fraserjfstewart/status/790814148053663744
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

By the way, do you have that list of words and phrases that you'd like banned from this site handy?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    its not one day before election day though. As a said earlier, 2 weeks before election day 2012, GOP were leading by a lot more.
  • Options

Jobabob said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

Doesn't keep me awake at night
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Moses_ said:

Soooooo......

As well as the formidable legal problems, there are enormous financial problems such as who is going to pay? This is totally unclear at the moment but will become clearer during the coming months.

For sure, the foreign owners of Heathrow won't pay. They intend to make a profit on it.

It will be a combination of massive hikes in airport charges on passengers - which is why British Airways is adamantly against it. And the massive multi billion pound changes to the M25 near the M4 junction will be funded by the taxpayer for the benefit of the owners of Heathrow. That will be popular.

We need extra airport capacity, but as Zac says, the Heathrow expansion will be an embarrassing millstone for the Government, but much worse, it won't get built - and we'll still need the capacity. Meanwhile Gatwick is shovel ready. What a disaster!
    The problem with Gatwick is that its a pain in the arse for anyone north of Watford to get to, even more than Heathrow !
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    Pulpstar said:

Barnesian said:

Moses_ said:

Soooooo......

The problem with Gatwick is that its a pain in the arse for anyone north of Watford to get to, even more than Heathrow !
    I have direct train to Gatwick. Since this is run by the legendary Southern trains, I am no better off. It's easier to walk .
  • Options
    Fernando said:

No expansion anywhere. Just bicycle clips and sandals
  • Options
    nielhnielh Posts: 1,307

Jobabob said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

The response to the petition to make believing in joining the EU again a treasonable offence was interesting, it was treated as a joke which says a lot.

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,074

Fernando said:

They are in favour of expansion.
    Just not anywhere where there are actual voters.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,176
    edited October 2016
    619 said:

HYUFD said:
    its not one day before election day though. As a said earlier, 2 weeks before election day 2012, GOP were leading by a lot more.
    Have you got the figures for October 25th 2012 then? Dems better hope they benefit from later returns
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    619 said:
    Okay then, let's cancel election day in Florida. We already know the result.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Fernando said:

To be fair. Avoiding LD voters opens up huge swathes of the country.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Barnesian said:

Moses_ said:

Soooooo......

I've just put Watford to Heathrow and Watford to Gatwick into Google maps.

By public transport, Watford to Heathrow is 80 minutes and Watford to Gatwick is 71 minutes.

But by car, it takes 30 minutes longer to get to Gatwick. Not a big deal if the Gatwick expansion can actually be built and costs £10 billion less.

Think of the uncosted delays and pollution of many millions of car journeys over several years as the M25 is diverted and extended and the runway built over the top of it. Not in the Heathrow case but very real to anyone using the M25.

• Options
    Barnesian said:

Pulpstar said:

Barnesian said:

Moses_ said:

Soooooo......

I've just put Watford to Heathrow and Watford to Gatwick into Google maps.

By public transport, Watford to Heathrow is 80 minutes and Watford to Gatwick is 71 minutes.

But by car, it takes 30 minutes longer to get to Gatwick. Not a big deal if the Gatwick expansion can actually be built and costs £10 billion less.

Think of the uncosted delays and pollution of many millions of car journeys over several years as the M25 is diverted and extended and the runway built over the top of it. Not in the Heathrow case but very real to anyone using the M25.

Gatwick is dreadful.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Faisal Islam makes no attempt to hide his desire for Brexit to fail. He is joined by Beth Rigby and Ed Conway to make a triumvirate of the the Sky Jonah's
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Fernando said:

Avoiding Lib Dem voting areas isn't really much of a constraint. :)
  • Options

Jobabob said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

I referred to 'people who've advocated leaving the European Union over the years'. You voted Remain...
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,176
    AndyJS said:

619 said:
    Okay then, let's cancel election day in Florida. We already know the result.
    No of course not but if Trump did win Florida and added it to Ohio and Iowa and held the Romney states he would be on 258 EC votes. He would then only need to add the 20 EC votes from Pennsylvania to get over the 270 mark
  • Options

Jobabob said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

I referred to 'people who've advocated leaving the European Union over the years'. You voted Remain...
    Yes I did but I want Brexit to succeed and am very much a paid up leaver now
  • Options
    Ally_BAlly_B Posts: 185
    Pulpstar said:

Barnesian said:

I appreciate this is a difficult decision but as someone who occasionally drives on the M25 around Heathrow I cannot understand why any further development in this area could even be considered viable. I note your comment re-changes to the M25 but suspect money could be better spent elsewhere if people had an open mind.
  • Options
    Ally_B said:

Pulpstar said:

Barnesian said:

I appreciate this is a difficult decision but as someone who occasionally drives on the M25 around Heathrow I cannot understand why any further development in this area could even be considered viable. I note your comment re-changes to the M25 but suspect money could be better spent elsewhere if people had an open mind.
    Like what?

Gatwick is shit to get to and even worse if you actually make it there. Sometimes you feel you have to take a shuttle flight from the gate to the terminal, it is that badly designed.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Any improvement of Gatwick should price in a complete redevelopment and the replacement of Southern trains.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,805

Observations:

Serious studies show that immigration tends to be a wash as far as wage levels are concerned. In fact, they very slightly depress wages at the bottom end and boost wages by a similar small amount at the top end. That's because immigrants are on average underpaid for their skill levels while mostly substituting for other immigrants in the same jobs.. Of course you can argue it the other way by pointing out they don't boost the overall economic well-being of native born Brits either.
  • Options
    SaltireSaltire Posts: 525
    edited October 2016

Saltire said:

One reason there's no official Conservative might well be to avoid having to process mass expulsions in the local party as members trot off to support Zac.
    That makes sense certainly, thanks.
    I think that May has really no choice but to have the party stand aside and let Zac be Zac otherwise the Libdems would certainly win. (as it is I think they are around a 2/1 shot, they are just so far behind)
    Interesting precedent it could be setting for down the road though if something else crops up in the next 4 years that makes a Conservative MP (or more than 1) want to resign and have a by-election to make a point.
This discussion has been closed.