Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » It looks as though Mrs. May’s BREXIT strategy isn’t helping co

Comments

• Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038

Sean_F said:

If Sterling were appreciating in value, I wonder how many of the headless chickens would be shrieking about the harm being done to exporters.

The kep point seems that the £ has now been a one-way bet since the 1950s and nothing a P.M or govt. has done - least of all, that Bloody Woman 1979-90 - seems to improve UK PLC's ability to pay its way ... This ability might be improved by having 7 year vocational education programmes for all school leavers @ 16-17, as in Germany, and other drastic measures.

It seems a shameful verdict on the management of UK PLC. Whether you look at the S.Fr or 'softer' currencies like the US or Canadian $, the £ has been sliding at an average of many percent per year, all my life.
    Er - I meant key point, sorry.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,655
    AndyJS said:

The LDs have won the Highlands council seat by 25 votes after transfers despite being a long way behind on the first count which was as follows:

Culloden and Ardsier

SNP - 753 (27.2%)
    LIB - 463 (16.7%)
    CON - 439 (15.9%)
    IND - 315 (11.4%)
    IND - 274 (9.9%)
    GRN - 180 (6.5%)
    LAB - 163 (5.9%)
    IND - 158 (5.7%)
    IND - 23 (0.8%)

Any ideas why the LDs are in favour of AV????
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    SeanT said:

felix said:

Sean_F said:

If Sterling were appreciating in value, I wonder how many of the headless chickens would be shrieking about the harm being done to exporters.

Yes we get it but you know perfectly well that this scale of devaluation is not a sign of a national economy, strong and confident and ready to take on the world. It is a clear sign of weakness if businesses need a trashed currency to sell their goods abroad rather than operating efficiently in a competitive market.
    Huge volatility, post-Brexit vote, was a given. The Brexiteers (and I have to admit there were some) who claimed it would all be plain sailing were fools or frauds.
    Indeed and they are still saying it on this very thread. The pretence that a 30% devaluation is clever economics reflecting a strong and vibrant economy.. all in the name of 'taking control' and getting rid of foreigners.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865

It's looking like being an expensive Christmas. The prices of electronic gadgets and toys must surely be pretty vulnerable to sterling weakness.

I worked in the States for many years. Cost of children's clothes,CD,s and all manner of things I carried back was the the same number in dollars there but in sterling here hence hugely more expensive here for the same article.

Had nothing to do with exchange rates just we were always charged more on a commercial basis for the same product on the shelves and we had no choice. I noticed it as I regularly commuted back and forth for close on 10 years.
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    edited October 2016
    Jonathan said:
    It's wrong for several reasons. It is stupidly bureaucratic - and this coming from a party that supposedly "understands" the needs of the business community. The irony of the Home Office not knowing how many non-British citizens work there, because it "doesn't record" the information, says it all.

It also sends out terrible signals. It's no way to convince the markets that Global Britain is open for business.

But I'm not convinced it's terribly racist. The current law of this land mandates that employers generally must discriminate against non-British applicants for jobs, with certain exceptions for certain types of non-Brits, mostly white and European. It's written in the UN Declaration of Human Rights that Everyone has the right to work, to free choice of employment - a right for every adult on this planet - and yet if there is a job in London, an applicant from Madras is disbarred from it so long as there is a suitable applicant from Manchester (or, at present, Munich). If forcing companies to reveal how they complied with these laws is ethically wrong, isn't the underlying and essentially explicitly racist (if one believes the definition of "racism" includes discrimination by nationality) set of employment laws, several whole orders of magnitude more egregious? Surely it's a thousand-fold worse to deny tens of thousands of Indians and Chinese, Africans and Latin Americans, the prospect of economic prosperity in this country than it is to publish how many exceptions were made?

If I was seething at this publication proposal, I would be positively incandescent about the resident labour test - to the tune of giving up my job in solidarity with the global unemployed and starting a protest camp outside the Home Office. Why should any qualified candidate be banned from coming to the UK if there is a useful economic contribution they can make and an employer hoping to take them on?

Borders exclude. And the people they exclude are, by definition, foreigners. Borders are therefore, by definition, racist (if we carefully select the definition of the word "racist"). Isn't this where the logic - if not the "electoral viability test" - ultimately takes you, if we go down the "racism" rabbit hole?
  • Options
    theakes said:

Has there been a result yet from Basingstoke or are there recounts?

Comfortable Tory hold.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,756

AndyJS said:

The LDs have won the Highlands council seat by 25 votes after transfers despite being a long way behind on the first count which was as follows:

Culloden and Ardsier

SNP - 753 (27.2%)
    LIB - 463 (16.7%)
    CON - 439 (15.9%)
    IND - 315 (11.4%)
    IND - 274 (9.9%)
    GRN - 180 (6.5%)
    LAB - 163 (5.9%)
    IND - 158 (5.7%)
    IND - 23 (0.8%)

Any ideas why the LDs are in favour of AV????
    The dynamic in Scotland is different. The SNP do badly in Council byelections because slightly more people hate it than love it. Second preference votes will go to another Unionist party.
  • Options
    pinkrose said:

http://www.politico.eu/article/germany-to-restrict-unemployment-benefits-for-eu-migrants-andrea-nahles/

Can someone explain to me how this is possible? Genuinely?
    Why is Germany allowed to implement a policy that means EU migrants need to have been in the Country FIVE years before they can claim benefits, when Cameron was forbidden from allowing the UK to restrict benefits for FOUR years?

Because they run the EU and nothing happens in the EU unless they say so.

Example Brexit negotiations ongoing but always quoted " will Merkel accept it" or "will Germany agree?" Just look at any paper it's the next thing to the reported story and statement of what is going to happen.

Merkel this Merkel that .... Etc
    It's why we are no longer there.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Jonathan Easley of "The Hill" looks at how Gary Johnson's fading campaign has boosted Clinton in swing states and nationally :

http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/299672-disastrous-strech-for-gary-johnson-gives-boost-to-clinton
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807
    JackW said:
    That's probably worth DEM +3/+4 because the survey's GOP lean
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

It's looking like being an expensive Christmas. The prices of electronic gadgets and toys must surely be pretty vulnerable to sterling weakness.

I worked in the States for many years. Cost of children's clothes,CD,s and all manner of things I carried back was the the same number in dollars there but in sterling here hence hugely more expensive here for the same article.

Had nothing to do with exchange rates just we were always charged more on a commercial basis for the same product on the shelves and we had no choice. I noticed it as I regularly commuted back and forth for close on 10 years.
    I did specifically refer to electronic devices and toys. The margins on Android phones, for example, must be pretty tight given the intense competition in that area. It's hard to imagine manufacturers such as Samsung simply taking the loss.
  • Options

Culloden Highlands is a LDem gain by 25 votes

Well on present positions then "a very narrow win" not representative of the people , a massive mistake, etc etc and they can spend the next few years arguing about it and trying every legal loophole in the book to overturn it.

Or they can accept the democratic will?

Which is it?
  • Options
    felix said:

SeanT said:

felix said:

Sean_F said:

Yes we get it but you know perfectly well that this scale of devaluation is not a sign of a national economy, strong and confident and ready to take on the world. It is a clear sign of weakness if businesses need a trashed currency to sell their goods abroad rather than operating efficiently in a competitive market.
    Huge volatility, post-Brexit vote, was a given. The Brexiteers (and I have to admit there were some) who claimed it would all be plain sailing were fools or frauds.
    Indeed and they are still saying it on this very thread. The pretence that a 30% devaluation is clever economics reflecting a strong and vibrant economy.. all in the name of 'taking control' and getting rid of foreigners.
    Yes it is now clear that some Brexiteers will accept anything, absolutely anything, as long as we leave the EU. That is all they care about. It's an obsession.
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956
    Interesting stuff from that Highlands election. Shall we have an STV/AV/FPTP thread to discuss it further?
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    felix said:

pinkrose said:

http://www.politico.eu/article/germany-to-restrict-unemployment-benefits-for-eu-migrants-andrea-nahles/

Why is Germany allowed to implement a policy that means EU migrants need to have been in the Country FIVE years before they can claim benefits, when Cameron was forbidden from allowing the UK to restrict benefits for FOUR years?

No doubt because the policy will apply to their own citizens as well. The UK could easily have done this and is one of the few EU countries which gives so many benefits that are not based on contributions
    Precisely, the EU are not concerned what benefits we pay, how much they are, who is entitled or how long for, their only concern (and the primary intellectual underpinning of the European Union) that other EU nationals are not treated any differently to nationals of the member state.

We could give them golden elephants, or sweet FA, just that we dont treat EU nationals any worse (you are allowed to treat them better though, which is currently the case in Scotland. Only English students out of the entirely 750 million population of the EU are the ones liable for full tuition fees in Scotland).
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

Moses_ said:

Jonathan said:

Indigo said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

JohnO said:

MaxPB said:

JohnO said:

Tranquility, mon brave, senex Johannus ex Hershamo, exhorts moderation in temper and tone. These are not (yet at least) the worst of IDS times. Internal exile is unwarranted.

The tone of Mrs May's speech has worried a lot of people. She needs to row back on some of it and put Rudd on a much tighter leash. The foreign workers register was a huge and unnecessary misstep as was the idea of deporting foreign doctors in 2025.
    I agree on both counts....but then I voted Remain. Hard exit here we come: it's immigration, stupid (not directed at you).
    May has undoubtably made a serious mistake this past week. I wonder what she will do.
    This mistake?

At the Conservative party conference this week, Home Secretary Amber Rudd announced plans to make firms publish what proportion of their workforce is non-British in a bid to encourage them to hire more British nationals. Although derided by many media commentators, new YouGov research finds that the policy is very popular across most of society.

Overall, 59% of people say they either strongly or somewhat support the proposals – more than double the 26% who somewhat or strongly oppose them.

......a majority (51%) of Labour voters supporting the proposals.

The policy is also highly popular among UKIP and Conservative voters, with 86% and 73% respectively supporting it, whilst even amongst Lib Dem voters it is supported more than opposed by a decent margin (48% vs 37%). Only SNP voters aren’t in obvious support – and even they are split 46%/46% over the policy.

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2016/10/06/public-backs-plans-make-companies-say-how-many-for/
    Yes that mistake. It's still wrong.
    Must be nice to dismiss the views of almost 60% of the population so easily and with such certainty.
    Nope. Nothing nice about this at all. It's fucked up.
    In your minority opinion. Jeez

Yes it's called tyranny of the majority.
    It's called democracy round here
  • Options

Jobabob said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The majority of the electorate could not care less about the markets, they voted to control immigration which May will do. In any case the low pound helps exports even if it makes imports and foreign travel more expensive. The fall in the pound today was due to Hollande's hard BREXIT statement and automated trading in Asia

Brexit has turned the UK into a 2nd world nation with a 3rd world currency .
    A 2nd world nation which is still the fifth largest economy with still well above average GDP per capita and sterling is still an IMF reserve currency
    We were the fifth largest economy, then Mrs May spoke.

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/783686693706665984
    Regardless of whether France occasionally overtakes us the trend is the same over there and will be confirmed when Le Pen tops the poll next May, voters across the west are rejecting economic liberalism and globalisation for nationalism and immigration control.
    Le Pen won't win
    She very probably will 'win' the first round. It's unlikely but not inconceivable that she will win the second. Her ratings have been good against Hollande, though it'd take a badly split centre-right to allow him through, and there's always the risk of 'events'.
    Yes, that's my view too. The French left/centre-left too have shown a pragmatic willingness to vote for the centre-right candidate when they are in a run-off with the FN – Chirac being the case in point when he was up again Le Pen Sr.
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956
    Jobabob said:

felix said:

SeanT said:

felix said:

Sean_F said:

Yes it is now clear that some Brexiteers will accept anything, absolutely anything, as long as we leave the EU. That is all they care about. It's an obsession.
    If it is an obsession, at least it's a long-standing one. The way that some Remainers have suddenly discovered how much they care about currency fluctuations is tragic and amusing.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Conflict News
    BREAKING: Brother of Brussels knife attacker charged with terrorism: prosecutor - AFP
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Moses_ said:

pinkrose said:

Example Brexit negotiations ongoing but always quoted " will Merkel accept it" or "will Germany agree?" Just look at any paper it's the next thing to the reported story and statement of what is going to happen.

No. The issue is just whether their own nationals have the same conditions applied in terms of contributions and residency.

• Options
    Court News
    Disgraced Radio One star Chris Denning jailed for 13 years for sexually abusing 11 boys between 1968-1986.
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    edited October 2016
    Moses_ said:

The government should maybe announce it is seeking a transitional arrangement. We will still get Brexit: it will take longer.

Why should they believe it, no transition arrangement could be official considered or condoned to the extent one could put faith in the possibility of it happening until after A50 next March.

A50 was explicitly written to make leaving as hard as possible, you dont know the rules or what is available, or what other people negotiating positions are until after you have already committed to leaving.

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,783
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

JohnO said:

MaxPB said:

JohnO said:

Tranquility, mon brave, senex Johannus ex Hershamo, exhorts moderation in temper and tone. These are not (yet at least) the worst of IDS times. Internal exile is unwarranted.

The tone of Mrs May's speech has worried a lot of people. She needs to row back on some of it and put Rudd on a much tighter leash. The foreign workers register was a huge and unnecessary misstep as was the idea of deporting foreign doctors in 2025.
    I agree on both counts....but then I voted Remain. Hard exit here we come: it's immigration, stupid (not directed at you).
    May has undoubtably made a serious mistake this past week. I wonder what she will do.
    This mistake?

At the Conservative party conference this week, Home Secretary Amber Rudd announced plans to make firms publish what proportion of their workforce is non-British in a bid to encourage them to hire more British nationals. Although derided by many media commentators, new YouGov research finds that the policy is very popular across most of society.

Overall, 59% of people say they either strongly or somewhat support the proposals – more than double the 26% who somewhat or strongly oppose them.

The policy is also highly popular among UKIP and Conservative voters, with 86% and 73% respectively supporting it, whilst even amongst Lib Dem voters it is supported more than opposed by a decent margin (48% vs 37%). Only SNP voters aren’t in obvious support – and even they are split 46%/46% over the policy.

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2016/10/06/public-backs-plans-make-companies-say-how-many-for/
    Like the mistake of voters voting for BREXIT?

It's a bigger this democratic lark, isn't it?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited October 2016
    Final result in Culloden & Ardersier:

LD 1,026
    SNP 1,001

http://vote-2012.proboards.com/thread/8736/elections-october-6th?page=7
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Jobabob said:

felix said:

SeanT said:

felix said:

Sean_F said:

Good question. Is there a level of pain at which I would reverse my vote? Theoretically, yes - but I doubt I'd ever get there, because every time things got worse my determination to See It Through, fuck them, we're the British, etc etc, would surge in reaction.

I am sure this is a standard human reaction. Patriotic confirmation bias or something. The Blitz spirit.

And on this basis Remainers hoping for repentance from Leavers are probably pissing in the wind.
    There is no chance of repentance exactly because of the dynamic you cite. Patriotism before country – you might say.
  • Options

Moses_ said:

I did specifically refer to electronic devices and toys. The margins on Android phones, for example, must be pretty tight given the intense competition in that area. It's hard to imagine manufacturers such as Samsung simply taking the loss.
    I set up a local mobile quicker, easier and cheaper than ever I could do in the UK. Can't quote the figures now as it was a while ago but the difference for the phone and airtime costs were significant. Of course now you can do roaming etc with capped prices on data etc. I don't think 3G was even in service then though but I may be wrong? Don't recollect it?

I brought back a lot of children's toy packs as well. fisher price I remember as one because they were inordinately cheaper over in the states for the same thing here (because my girls were of that age at the time)
  • Options
    edited October 2016

Moses_ said:

The Iphone 7 in the USA is $649, at current exchange rates its $749 in the UK. Look at for example DJI (drones etc), the dollar and sterling prices for all their gear is identical.
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

felix said:

SeanT said:

felix said:

Sean_F said:

Oh I accept the referendum result - that's democracy. However, there was and is no mandate for a hard Brexit and May's rhetoric this week was not at all helpful. I hope it is still just posturing but this silly talk can be very damaging in inexperienced hands.
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

Jobabob said:

Moses_ said:

Jonathan said:

Indigo said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

JohnO said:

MaxPB said:

JohnO said:

This mistake?

Must be nice to dismiss the views of almost 60% of the population so easily and with such certainty.

No. Democracy is where we vote for a government on a range of issues, not when we adopt one ludicrous reactionary illiberal state-snooping policy on the basis of an opinion poll.
  • Options
    felix said:

Jobabob said:

felix said:

SeanT said:

felix said:

Sean_F said:

Oh I accept the referendum result - that's democracy. However, there was and is no mandate for a hard Brexit and May's rhetoric this week was not at all helpful. I hope it is still just posturing but this silly talk can be very damaging in inexperienced hands.
    Indeed so.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Jobabob said:

JackW said:
    That's probably worth DEM +3/+4 because the survey's GOP lean
    The 538 adjusted figure is Clinton +3.
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

Moses_ said:

Jobabob said:

Moses_ said:

Jonathan said:

Indigo said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

JohnO said:

MaxPB said:

JohnO said:

This mistake?

No. Democracy is where we vote for a government on a range of issues, not when we adopt one ludicrous reactionary illiberal state-snooping policy on the basis of an opinion poll.
    I rest my case right there.

Next...
  • Options
    Chris_AChris_A Posts: 1,237
    Sean_F said:

But it's not. The damage is entirely sure to the native who were conned into voting leave. Either that or they were too stupid to pay any attention to any damage
  • Options
    Essexit said:

Jobabob said:

felix said:

SeanT said:

felix said:

Sean_F said:

If it is an obsession, at least it's a long-standing one. The way that some Remainers have suddenly discovered how much they care about currency fluctuations is tragic and amusing.
    It's not amusing for pensioners living abroad on limited sterling based incomes - and while inflation at home is currently subdued that may well change and then the proverbial could hit the fan. Similarly if the BoE is forced to raise interest rates other than very gradually and awful ot of mortgage payers won't be laughing. Oh and 30% devaluations don't come under the category of currency fluctuations.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    Jobabob said:

Jobabob said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The majority of the electorate could not care less about the markets, they voted to control immigration which May will do. In any case the low pound helps exports even if it makes imports and foreign travel more expensive. The fall in the pound today was due to Hollande's hard BREXIT statement and automated trading in Asia

Brexit has turned the UK into a 2nd world nation with a 3rd world currency .
    A 2nd world nation which is still the fifth largest economy with still well above average GDP per capita and sterling is still an IMF reserve currency
    We were the fifth largest economy, then Mrs May spoke.

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/783686693706665984
    Regardless of whether France occasionally overtakes us the trend is the same over there and will be confirmed when Le Pen tops the poll next May, voters across the west are rejecting economic liberalism and globalisation for nationalism and immigration control.
    Le Pen won't win
    She very probably will 'win' the first round. It's unlikely but not inconceivable that she will win the second. Her ratings have been good against Hollande, though it'd take a badly split centre-right to allow him through, and there's always the risk of 'events'.
    Yes, that's my view too. The French left/centre-left too have shown a pragmatic willingness to vote for the centre-right candidate when they are in a run-off with the FN – Chirac being the case in point when he was up again Le Pen Sr.
    True, although whereas Le Pen pere took only 18% in 2002, Le Pen fille regularly scores in the 30s and even the 40s against Juppe and Sarkozy in the head-to-head polls.
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

Chris_A said:

Moses we'll carry one whingeing and moaning (just like your lot had done for decades) until we can stop the damage being done to our country and ensure vile racists like Rudd are consigned to the back benches where at best she belongs.

Indeed you will with one significant difference

"we" as you put it are in the minority and you will do very well to now remember that. You had a lifetime to prove your case and failed.

You always were in the minority of course and for my entire lifetime the majority were never asked. When they were they spoke loudly and very clearly despite the threats. No amount of tears before bedtime will change the will of the people .

I recently read a book "The Real Cruel Sea" by Richard Woodman regarding the battle of the Atlantic up to 1943 and In his forward he said without assistance by the United States the outcome was by far certain in addition to and I quote.....

"that other inexplicable and inveterate British characteristic, a bloody minded objection to being shoved around"
    In the minority perhaps from 0700 to 2200 on 23rd June. Democracy which all you Leavers bang on about does not mean making a decision and it be set in stone forever.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited October 2016
    I see hammond has ditched another Osborne policy. The Lloyd's shares sales open to public has been switched.
  • Options
    I'm starting to feel queasy. Suez, Black Wednesday - perhaps we're due another national humiliation on an epic scale. And you never see these things coming, and they all stem from what seemed like a jolly clever wheeze at the time. Why do we British continually insist on putting ourselves through the grinder?
  • Options
    felix said:

Essexit said:

Jobabob said:

felix said:

SeanT said:

felix said:

Sean_F said:

It's not amusing for pensioners living abroad on limited sterling based incomes - and while inflation at home is currently subdued that may well change and then the proverbial could hit the fan. Similarly if the BoE is forced to raise interest rates other than very gradually and awful ot of mortgage payers won't be laughing. Oh and 30% devaluations don't come under the category of currency fluctuations.
    On the plus side (for those keen to reduce immigration), a 30% smaller wage packet is less likely to entice migrants to our shores.
  • Options
    edited October 2016

Moses_ said:

pinkrose said:

No. The issue is just whether their own nationals have the same conditions applied in terms of contributions and residency.

As I read it (badly) it requires you to either be in work in Germany, have accumulated sufficient benefit rights (I assume analogous to National Insurance payments), or been in residence in Germany for five years. That could be have been done here with in the EU, but it has all the problems everyone always talks about here, if you turn up in Germany with no job, you get nothing because you have no accumulated benefit rights and insufficient residency.
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

Well on present positions then "a very narrow win" not representative of the people , a massive mistake, etc etc and they can spend the next few years arguing about it and trying every legal loophole in the book to overturn it.

Which is it?
    Don't have to argue about it for years, there'll be another council election in 7 months.
  • Options
    edited October 2016

Moses_ said:

pinkrose said:

Perhaps I Misunderstand you?

A person born in the country and paying into the system all their life for years and years then for example falls on hard times but then has to wait the same amount of time for help as someone who came to that same country( let's be generous) 2 years previously and probably has made little or even no contribution to that country. If the time to wait for the foreign national is 5 years then that same person born there has to be treated similarly?

I am sure I have not correctly understood your point to be fair......
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    felix said:

Jobabob said:

felix said:

SeanT said:

felix said:

Sean_F said:

What about if "Hard Brexit" is the only BrExit on offer, which seems likely to be the case ? We wont actually know until next March, all we have at the moment are "indications".
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

Moses_ said:

pinkrose said:

A person born in the country and paying into the system all their life for years and years then for example falls on hard times but then has to wait the same amount of time for help as someone who came to that same country( let's be generous) 2 years previously and probably has made little or even no contribution to that country. If the time to wait for the foreign national is 5 years then that same person born there has to be treated similarly?

No, the German proposals allow for 5 years of residency to make benefits available.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Cock ups all round...

Turns out the freelance filmmaker who shot the pictures of the Labour leader sitting on the floor was being paid by the Jeremy For Leader campaign. The Trotskyite freelance journalist who wrote the story wasn’t even on the train. The authors first pitched their pro-Jez propaganda to BuzzFeed, who embarrassingly for the Guardian smelled a rat and turned it down

http://order-order.com/2016/10/07/guardian-blasts-editors-traingate-blunder-buzzfeed-turned-story/
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,723
    Indigo said:

felix said:

Jobabob said:

felix said:

SeanT said:

felix said:

Sean_F said:

What about if "Hard Brexit" is the only BrExit on offer, which seems likely to be the case ? We wont actually know until next March, all we have at the moment are "indications".
    Let Parliament take back power and vote on it.
  • Options
    Chris_A said:

Moses_ said:

Chris_A said:

Moses we'll carry one whingeing and moaning (just like your lot had done for decades) until we can stop the damage being done to our country and ensure vile racists like Rudd are consigned to the back benches where at best she belongs.

"we" as you put it are in the minority and you will do very well to now remember that. You had a lifetime to prove your case and failed.

You always were in the minority of course and for my entire lifetime the majority were never asked. When they were they spoke loudly and very clearly despite the threats. No amount of tears before bedtime will change the will of the people .

I recently read a book "The Real Cruel Sea" by Richard Woodman regarding the battle of the Atlantic up to 1943 and In his forward he said without assistance by the United States the outcome was by far certain in addition to and I quote.....

"that other inexplicable and inveterate British characteristic, a bloody minded objection to being shoved around"
    In the minority perhaps from 0700 to 2200 on 23rd June. Democracy which all you Leavers bang on about does not mean making a decision and it be set in stone forever.
    Actually it does.
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

Moses_ said:

Jobabob said:

Moses_ said:

Jonathan said:

Indigo said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

JohnO said:

MaxPB said:

JohnO said:

This mistake?

Like they do in Obama's USA you mean ?
  • Options

Moses_ said:

Which is it?
    Don't have to argue about it for years, there'll be another council election in 7 months.
    Good point !
  • Options

Indigo said:

felix said:

Jobabob said:

felix said:

SeanT said:

felix said:

Sean_F said:

Let Parliament take back power and vote on it.
    In which case it will be a hard BrExit, parliament is not going to oppose the vote of the referendum.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

Moses_ said:

The government should maybe announce it is seeking a transitional arrangement. We will still get Brexit: it will take longer.

Why should they believe it, no transition arrangement could be official considered or condoned to the extent one could put faith in the possibility of it happening until after A50 next March.

A50 was explicitly written to make leaving as hard as possible, you dont know the rules or what is available, or what other people negotiating positions are until after you have already committed to leaving.

That's another posters comment
    :smile:
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,783
    AndyJS said:

LD 1,026
    SNP 1,001

So The Con vote split
    No preference 325
    LibDem 233
    SNP 31

31? We need names.....
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Indigo said:

Moses_ said:

Moses_ said:

pinkrose said:

No, the German proposals allow for 5 years of residency to make benefits available.
    Ok I misunderstood
    Sorry

Cameron got only 4 offered though?

Mmmmm....
  • Options
    Chris_A said:

Hypobollocks, after a general election the result is (effectively) set in stone until the next GE when people get up and campaign for their party to be elected. After this referendum the result is set in stone until people like you get enough like minded people together campaign to rejoin that it either wins a referendum, or commands the support of the house. If you can't manage that, the idea clearly doesn't have enough support.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    How many people complaining about the fall in sterling thought Carney was right to cut interest rates?
  • Options
    Just for Jezza

Reuters
    Venezuela oil workers forced to sell their boots in order to eat https://t.co/v6EfHgmpy7
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

Indigo said:

Moses_ said:

Moses_ said:

pinkrose said:

Ok I misunderstood
    Sorry

Mmmmm....
    I think on closer inspection that 4 years was in many cases more like six months as well.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Just for Jezza

Reuters
    Venezuela oil workers forced to sell their boots in order to eat https://t.co/v6EfHgmpy7

Funny how we don't hear much about the socialist paradise of Venezuela these days.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,855
    Chris_A said:

Sean_F said:

But it's not. The damage is entirely sure to the native who were conned into voting leave. Either that or they were too stupid to pay any attention to any damage
    I haven't seen any damage so far.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

Chris_A said:

Hypobollocks, after a general election the result is (effectively) set in stone until the next GE when people get up and campaign for their party to be elected. After this referendum the result is set in stone until people like you get enough like minded people together campaign to rejoin that it either wins a referendum, or commands the support of the house. If you can't manage that, the idea clearly doesn't have enough support.
    Trouble is the referendum didn't specify which sort of Brexit. That has to be sorted out by our politicians - and should be voted on by our sovereign Parliament.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,994
    Good afternoon, everyone.

Mr. Chestnut, sounds more like a circle than a Venn diagram there, I think.

F1: I have just remembered I need to finish off and post the pre-qualifying piece. Ahem.

I did try earlier but all the markets were drowsy as a sloth in an opium den.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Chris_A said:

Sean_F said:

What is it today with all the left leaners suggesting in as many words that we should have a special kind of voting card for stupid people that is worth less. Perhaps there should be a special "gold" voting card worth 2 votes given out for people that read The Guardian as well.

Democracy seems to be only a good thing when it gives you the answer you like.
  • Options
    On topic: Well, I've been saying for a while that I thought the markets were under-estimating the risk of a messy Brexit. All that's happening is that they are becoming less complacent.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Indigo said:

Chris_A said:

Sean_F said:

What is it today with all the left leaners suggesting in as many words that we should have a special kind of voting card for stupid people that is worth less. Perhaps there should be a special "gold" voting card give out for people that read The Guardian as well.

Democracy seems to be only a good thing when it gives you the answer you like.
    The basket of deplorables and basement dwellers must be banned from voting for their own good.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

LD 1,026
    SNP 1,001

So The Con vote split
    No preference 325
    LibDem 233
    SNP 31

31? We need names.....
    On the proboards forum, someone speculated that the Conservative vote was partly transfers from Independents, who only listed their preferences down to a certain level. That maybe explains the quite high final 'No preference' level.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,756
    edited October 2016
    Moses_ said:

Indigo said:

Moses_ said:

Moses_ said:

pinkrose said:

Ok I misunderstood
    Sorry

Mmmmm....
    I think Cameron's four year ban was on EU immigrants receiving in-work benefits - working tax credits and the like. The new German ban on unemployment benefits for up to five years is already in place in the UK:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/jun/14/uk-can-refuse-benefits-to-unemployed-eu-migrants-judges-rule
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

AndyJS said:

LD 1,026
    SNP 1,001

So The Con vote split
    No preference 325
    LibDem 233
    SNP 31

31? We need names.....
    The 325 No Preference are clearly not comitted Unionists and will be easy to peel of for a Yes vote at the next IndyRef.
  • Options

Indigo said:

Chris_A said:

Trouble is the referendum didn't specify which sort of Brexit. That has to be sorted out by our politicians - and should be voted on by our sovereign Parliament.
    Yes. But at the moment we dont know which one we are going to get, because the negotiations haven't started. There is no point parliament voting on a "type" of BrExit now only to find that it isnt on offer after we invoke A50. Once the negotiations have started we will know what is on offer, its quite likely the only thing on offer will be different flavors of hard BrExit, but its too late then because we are in the process, we either take one of those flavours, or fall out the end after two years into the WTO.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,758
    edited October 2016
    SeanT said:

Chris_A said:

Moses_ said:

Chris_A said:

Recent polls show that Leave voters are still the majority.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/britain-no-regrets-brexit-polling-8882527

Further analysis shows that Leave was probably in the lead throughout the referendum campaign

The settled will of the British people, albeit on a narrow majority, was to quit the EU.
    I'm just getting pissed off with the constant moaning and the dickhead threats from Europe. After the Obama fiasco youd have thought they might have learnt threats are counter productive. Though obviously this is aimed more at at cowing their domestic audience into submission for the project.

Being fair to Mrs M if she's taking her negotiating position as the worst possible, then all the bad news gets priced in up front. Any improvement on that and the pound and markets bounce back.

Maybe we should just have some fun next year and force a run on Deutsche Bank in the middle of all the european elections. And watch how the french and germans argue their banks need help unlike the greek and italian ones.

• Options
    edited October 2016
    FFS...yet another f##king BBC article revolving around Fabric nightclub getting shut down.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-37546558
  • Options
    felix said:

Essexit said:

Jobabob said:

felix said:

SeanT said:

felix said:

Sean_F said:

What 30% devaluation?

The average GBP/USD exchange rate from the start of January to June 23rd was around $1.45
    The current GBP/USD exchange rate is $1.245

That is a 20.5 cent fall. But 20 cents is not 20%, it is a 14% fall. Less than half what you're claiming. A 30% fall would be GBP/USD parity.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699

AndyJS said:

LD 1,026
    SNP 1,001

So The Con vote split
    No preference 325
    LibDem 233
    SNP 31

31? We need names.....
    On the proboards forum, someone speculated that the Conservative vote was partly transfers from Independents, who only listed their preferences down to a certain level. That maybe explains the quite high final 'No preference' level.
    Yes the original Conservative vote was 439 so 150 were previous transfers
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Alistair said:

AndyJS said:

LD 1,026
    SNP 1,001

So The Con vote split
    No preference 325
    LibDem 233
    SNP 31

31? We need names.....
    The 325 No Preference are clearly not comitted Unionists and will be easy to peel of for a Yes vote at the next IndyRef.
    Are you being sarcastic?
  • Options
    Alistair said:

AndyJS said:

LD 1,026
    SNP 1,001

So The Con vote split
    No preference 325
    LibDem 233
    SNP 31

31? We need names.....
    No they're clearly partisans who just want to vote for their party and not down ticket.
  • Options
    Mr. Urquhart, could you explain to me, a non-clubbing Yorkshireman, why this story has so many articles?
  • Options
    And lo, it came to pass

Jon Ashworth: Shadow Health Secretary.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,027
    Alistair said:

AndyJS said:

LD 1,026
    SNP 1,001

So The Con vote split
    No preference 325
    LibDem 233
    SNP 31

31? We need names.....
    The other feature of the vote was that it was previously a Labour seat. Unless I’m misinformed.
  • Options
    F1: personally not advocating this as I dislike short odds bets, but Rosberg's 1.53 to take the title.

If he and Hamilton win every race in a 1-2, and Hamilton wins 4/5 and Rosberg just 1/5, Rosberg wins the title.

It likely won't turn out that way, but it's still very much Rosberg's to lose and the odds are worth considering.
  • Options
    Lord Ashcroft
    “It’s not how many votes you get, it’s who’s counting them”: fears of fraud in the new #AshcroftInAmerica podcast: https://t.co/9T6PkLTzWE
  • Options
    edited October 2016

Mr. Urquhart, could you explain to me, a non-clubbing Yorkshireman, why this story has so many articles?

I refer you to Andrew Marr's opinion of the BBC..."a publicly-funded urban organisation with an abnormally large proportion of younger people, of people in ethnic minorities and almost certainly of gay people, compared with the population at large".

I don't remember an article a day for weeks on end reporting on some Working Men's club closing in a Northern town.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

And lo, it came to pass

Jon Ashworth: Shadow Health Secretary.

So parity for Corbynites and SaneLabour people on the NEC now ?

Then two days later Ashworth will get reshuffled out of Health - muppet.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

PlatoSaid said:

Just for Jezza

Reuters

Funny how we don't hear much about the socialist paradise of Venezuela these days.
    If Corbyn gets in - that could be us.

Mark Senior - take a look at Venezuela - that's what a fecked up country looks like.

• Options
    Miss Plato, Ashworth seems daft to accept that, but there we are.

Does Corbyn have an NEC majority yet?

Mr. Urquhart, sounds about right.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    SeanT said:

Chris_A said:

Moses_ said:

Chris_A said:

Recent polls show that Leave voters are still the majority.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/britain-no-regrets-brexit-polling-8882527

Further analysis shows that Leave was probably in the lead throughout the referendum campaign

The settled will of the British people, albeit on a narrow majority, was to quit the EU.
    It seems democracy only counts in certain quarters if you get the result you want.

Reminds me of the EU
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Alistair said:

AndyJS said:

LD 1,026
    SNP 1,001

So The Con vote split
    No preference 325
    LibDem 233
    SNP 31

31? We need names.....
    Are you being sarcastic?
    As a working theory assume everything I say is sarcastic unless it specifically refers to betting.
  • Options

Alistair said:

AndyJS said:

LD 1,026
    SNP 1,001

So The Con vote split
    No preference 325
    LibDem 233
    SNP 31

31? We need names.....
    The other feature of the vote was that it was previously a Labour seat. Unless I’m misinformed.
    STV bye-elections are super weird when it comes to saying who's seat it was.
  • Options
    I’m off to Thailand shortly to vistit family. We’ve certainly seen over 30% devaliuation since we first went.... 66TB =£1 10 or so years ago, 55 last year, 43.4 this.
    However being with that set of grandchildren is worth it!
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Floater said:

PlatoSaid said:

Just for Jezza

Reuters

If Corbyn gets in - that could be us.

Mark Senior - take a look at Venezuela - that's what a fecked up country looks like.

Yes indeed , the one country in the world with a worse currency than the UK . So that puts us just above them in world esteem .
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

Maybe we should just have some fun next year and force a run on Deutsche Bank in the middle of all the european elections. And watch how the french and germans argue their banks need help unlike the greek and italian ones.

I'm puzzled as to how the British Government could precipitate a run on the German banking system, but anyway: the next stage of the Eurozone crisis may not be too long in coming. If Renzi has as much luck winning his referendum in December as Cameron did in June, then he's finished - and Beppe Grillo's populists are anywhere between about six point adrift of the ruling Democratic Party and in a statistical dead heat in the polls.

The last I heard, the Five Star Movement sat with Ukip in the European Parliament and were committed to a plebiscite on the restoration of the lira. Needless to say, this is not something that the European institutions would particularly welcome.
  • Options
    Mr. Rook, if the EU has another crisis, a sensible step might be to conclude a rapid deal with the UK, on an interim basis, with a long deadline for a full deal.

Not that the EU is an organisation founded upon sense.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Alistair said:

AndyJS said:

LD 1,026
    SNP 1,001

So The Con vote split
    No preference 325
    LibDem 233
    SNP 31

31? We need names.....
    STV bye-elections are super weird when it comes to saying who's seat it was.
    I think it was a Lab councillor whose departure (can’t find the reason) caused the vacancy.
  • Options

I’m off to Thailand shortly to vistit family. We’ve certainly seen over 30% devaliuation since we first went.... 66TB =£1 10 or so years ago, 55 last year, 43.4 this.
    However being with that set of grandchildren is worth it!

And the pound is tanking today the most against those ultra strong currencies like the Colombian peso and Brazilian real. Even India where I'm of to next week I'll get 20% fewer rupees than I would have got earlier this year.
  • Options
    Will this end Steven Woolfe's 2nd bid for UKIP leadership?

"He said Mr Woolfe had objected to remarks which he made. "He then stood up in front of everybody and said 'if it's that, let's take it outside of the room', I think his words were 'mano a mano'."
    "When I walked in he approached me to attack me. He came at me, I defended myself. There were no punches thrown, there was no face slapping, there were no digs, there was nothing," he said."

UKIP MEP Mike Hookem denies assaulting Steven Woolfe
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37587814
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    ''I'm just getting pissed off with the constant moaning and the dickhead threats from Europe. After the Obama fiasco youd have thought they might have learnt threats are counter productive. Though obviously this is aimed more at at cowing their domestic audience into submission for the project.''

What astonishes me is the total, complete and utter absence of soul searching, self appraisal and self questioning on the EU's part. And the remainers too. No 'where are we going wrong', no 'taking a long look at ourselves in the mirror'.

Just a punishment beating until morale improves.

quite unbelievable.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

How many people complaining about the fall in sterling thought Carney was right to cut interest rates?

Not me - I thought he should have held his fire. However, I'm not convinced that he can be blamed for the latest slide.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Chris_A said:

Sean_F said:

I haven't seen any damage so far.
    None so blind.....
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    ''Yes indeed , the one country in the world with a worse currency than the UK . So that puts us just above them in world esteem . ''

Now you really are being a complete idiot. Get a hold of yourself.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    PlatoSaid said:

Lord Ashcroft
    “It’s not how many votes you get, it’s who’s counting them”: fears of fraud in the new #AshcroftInAmerica podcast: https://t.co/9T6PkLTzWE

There are five elements to any fair election:

1. Equal and relatively easy registration of voters and parties.
    2. A level playing field for campaigning, at least in terms of proportionality to support
    3. That voters can cast their votes as they see fit without intimidation or undue hindrance
    4. That the votes cast are fairly counted and reported
    5. That the results once reported are translated into effect.

The US scores pretty poorly compared with its peers for at least the first three. It would be even more worrying if the fourth were added to the list.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Alistair said:

AndyJS said:

LD 1,026
    SNP 1,001

So The Con vote split
    No preference 325
    LibDem 233
    SNP 31

31? We need names.....
    ah keep dreaming, more like in the absence of another centre right unionist party they didn't bother.
This discussion has been closed.