Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A look back to EURef: Even at 3.10am, five hours after coun

124»

Comments

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,571
    rcs1000 said:

MTimT said:

What happened to Socrates? I seem to remember him being banned, though can't remember over what. I do remember him being somewhat left wing for US politics and right wing, perhaps even UKIP-ish, for British politics.

I just found myself thinking that certain PB posters surprise me on how they come down on certain specific policy issues, which in turn made me think of Socrates, as he was constantly surprising me.

If you haven't been banned at least twice from PB, you're not a real poster and are probably just a Mike Smithson sock puppet.
    Damn. I did get a comment deleted once. Does that count?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

And of course "UK Law" is a bit of a misnomer...

Yes. If the Tories really do put some great bonfire in there 2020 manifesto ( Which after this I suspect they won't ) then it will be a primarily English and English and Welsh affair. Which is another shock absorber for the Union. It will allow devolved amninistrations to remain further in the eurosphere than England but Remain in the UK union.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,295
    MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

Tim said:

stodge said:

Evening all :)

I thought we had something called the European Communities Act of 1972 which allowed EU law to become UK law. Wouldn't we decide what bits of EU legislation we chose to keep as part of the A50 negotiation and then bundle up the new "order" as a new Act of Parliament once A50 had been concluded.

Er, no.

Have you any idea how much of our law has cumulatively come from the EU?

How on earth could we decide within 2 years what to keep and what not? Do you think that laws are simple, and one just says "oh, we'll have that one" but "that one's a bit rum, let's reject"

In most cases, those we don't like will be amended or replaced with an alternative. Think of the issues - agricultural support, sustainability of fishing, migration, employment rights, and many more areas. But that is to talk in generalities.

Now think of the specifics: the reporting processes that pharmaceutical companies must comply with, the tariffs on New Zealand lamb, the emissions standards of HGVs. This is to touch on perhaps 0.01% of the issues affected.

To reset all our law at the moment of exit would be an affront to Parliamentary democracy, a practical near impossibility for the legal machine to digest and a wrecking ball on stable functioning of the economy.

May's plan is the sensible way.

It has the added advantage of giving us a bit of leverage should the Europeans prove tricky about negotiating a reasonable settlement. It shows that constitutionally the ball is in our court, and we may fire the gun on actual Brexit as and when we please.
    Is this the "tim"? If so, welcome back.
    Being nice about a Conservative politician? This can't be the 'tim' of old.
    Given what's happened to Labour I expect that Tim is now a fully paid up member of the Tory party.
    Fair point :)

As it happens, this is a non news story. There is no other way to 'do' Brexit, as otherwise the repeal of the European Communities Act would be leave us without a defined tariff structure, and almost certainly lead us to being in breach of the 1995 WTO Treaty.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

MTimT said:

What happened to Socrates? I seem to remember him being banned, though can't remember over what. I do remember him being somewhat left wing for US politics and right wing, perhaps even UKIP-ish, for British politics.

I just found myself thinking that certain PB posters surprise me on how they come down on certain specific policy issues, which in turn made me think of Socrates, as he was constantly surprising me.

If you haven't been banned at least twice from PB, you're not a real poster and are probably just a Mike Smithson sock puppet.
    Dad, I know that's you.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Yes. If the Tories really do put some great bonfire in there 2020 manifesto ( Which after this I suspect they won't ) then it will be a primarily English and English and Welsh affair. Which is another shock absorber for the Union. It will allow devolved amninistrations to remain further in the eurosphere than England but Remain in the UK union.

If the devolved administrations are still extant. Or legal.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

MTimT said:

Dad, I know that's you.
    Hi Mike, nice Putin avatar you got there :lol:
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

DavidL said:

Mortimer said:

DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

The resurrection of Damien Greens career has been all but ignored. The fact that this humane, money saving and minor change is utterly radical is telling about the IDS regime. < The Telegraph: Reassessment tests for sickness benefit claimants with severe illnesses to be scrapped. http://google.com/newsstand/s/CBIw8tySpS4

Sensible change and one of many to come to benefit those in need.
    Agree, a good tweak that saves money and helps a lot of those who were caught in the net with the last changes. At least it shows that the people in charge are listening to the problems on the ground, in what is just about the most difficult area of public policy to get right.
    It almost makes me weep that this was even necessary. IDS is a fucking idiot who should not be left in charge of a bus queue.

And Cameron was wrong to discard Damien Green. A genuinely decent and clever man.
    Osborne breathing down his neck demanding immediate cuts to a long term project that would have structurally reduced the benefits budget likely the cause of any perceived harm.

IDS and Green without Osbo would have been a different story.

One of Cameron's abiding flaws was sticking by his political pals. Almost always until it was too late.
    No, that won't do. This will save money. Testing the terminally ill was just sick. And vicious. And pointless. And repugnant. IDS = scum. It's that simple.
    Clearly Cameron and Osborne were happy with what he was doing. Remember, IDS resigned, he wasn't sacked.
    He was necessary to keep the right wing loons on board and that was politically necessary but I am so glad he has gone for all his supposed compassion.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Indeed and I see some people on twitter are saying that what Mrs May is proposing is incompatible with the Good Friday Agreement.
    We may end up with a different legal challenge. An early repeal bill deals with the current A50 challenge. But Scotland/Wales/Northern Ireland could test the waters in the Supreme Court by refusing legislative consent for ECA repeal.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013

Bitterness in remainers going off the scale tonight. Wherefore that glorious May day in 1997 now.....

Brexit Wounds?
    I suppose if you view Jean-Claude Juncker as some kind of rock star, it's hard to accept that the UK is leaving the EU.
  • Options
    tyson said:

@Mortimer....
    Please give me the evidence of capital being drawn to the UK post Brexit? I have only seen the converse unless I have missed something.

Exporters (who do not rely on imports) and tourism are making a short term gain.

But ultimately, foreign capital will only invest en masse in the UK if they can access the single market. But if the single market implodes, as I think many Brexiters hope for, then Brexit may be prescient.

Of course we could always negotiate access to the single market, accept freedom of Labour, and keep with EU legislation if the EU exists......

Capital is drawn to the UK every day to fund our current account deficit. At the current rate we need to sell assets, or borrow money, equivalent to 7% of GDP every year. We've gone from being in credit to the Rest of the World to an amount equivalent to 60% of GDP in 1985, to being in debit to the tune of 40% of GDP today.

The biggest threat to the UK economy is that foreigners become less willing to fund our triple deficit: government, current account, and private sector.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

MTimT said:

Dad, I know that's you.
    LOL.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Indeed and I see some people on twitter are saying that what Mrs May is proposing is incompatible with the Good Friday Agreement.
    We may end up with a different legal challenge. An early repeal bill deals with the current A50 challenge. But Scotland/Wales/Northern Ireland could test the waters in the Supreme Court by refusing legislative consent for ECA repeal.
    Wales voted for Brexit....
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

MTimT said:

Dad, I know that's you.
    Hi Mike, nice Putin avatar you got there :lol:
    Us baldies need to stick together...

Ooops...
  • Options
    Betting related post

Theresa May has told The Sunday Times she has ruled out a general election before 2020 as an early vote would cause "instability"
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,052
    "Brexit was a right wing wankfest where a lying campaign manipulated sufficient numbers of disenchanted voters to agree with something that was incompressible, silly and ultimately destructive." Discuss.

I have just had sight of the A level Political and Modern Studies Exam Paper for 2024. Shush..do not tell anyone.... This was the first question.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Bitterness in remainers going off the scale tonight. Wherefore that glorious May day in 1997 now.....

Brexit Wounds?
    I suppose if you view Jean-Claude Juncker as some kind of rock star, it's hard to accept that the UK is leaving the EU.
    He was seen queuing for the Britain's Got Talent auditions. I can't wait to hear what he sings.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,601
    edited October 2016
    SeanT said:

Surely even the Remainers are *slightly excited* by all this. It's happening. Until now it's been theoretical. But now it is inevitable. The political pulse quickens.

This is the greatest evolution - revolution - in British politics, in my adult lifetime. It's one of the greatest geopolitical changes, worldwide, in recent years.

I think "it is happening" needs rather more than taking all the laws and regulations we currently follow, and agreeing (or, more correctly, proposing that we should agree) that we will continue to follow them, without any changes.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Wales voted for Brexit....
    I know. I didn't say it hadn't. The Welsh FM has publiclly mooted refusing ' legislative consent ' for varying Brexit bills if he doesn't get X,Y and Z assurances. In fairness he's already retreated in what X,Y and Z is and it's at best a delaying tactic. Westminster is Soveriegn.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,690
    DavidL said:

Ed Balls. Oh dear. What an dreadful man.

Rubbish. George is once again spot on. Go Ed.
    No, it really isn't. To watch him on Strictly is to see in a completely different environment just what a horrendous creature he is. Total inability to listen; compulsion to argue back rather than stay schtum and let public sympathy accrue. The dancing being awful is a given - it's the personality that's making it such a train wreck.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,684
    edited October 2016
    IanB2 said:

SeanT said:

Surely even the Remainers are *slightly excited* by all this. It's happening. Until now it's been theoretical. But now it is inevitable. The political pulse quickens.

This is the greatest evolution - revolution - in British politics, in my adult lifetime. It's one of the greatest geopolitical changes, worldwide, in recent years.

I think "it is happening" needs rather more than taking all the laws and regulations we currently follow, and agreeing that we will continue to follow them, without any changes.
    It clears the way for us to leave and brings EU law onto the UK statute book proper making them easier to repeal.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

I will not be excited until our position regarding the single market has been sorted out, or if we're getting Hard Brexit with tariffs etc
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    SeanT said:

It's interesting in the same sense as a multi-car pile up on the opposite carriageway of the motorway. It's human nature to rubberneck. Except it's on our side. And we're doing 80.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

Tim said:

stodge said:

Evening all :)

I thought we had something called the European Communities Act of 1972 which allowed EU law to become UK law. Wouldn't we decide what bits of EU legislation we chose to keep as part of the A50 negotiation and then bundle up the new "order" as a new Act of Parliament once A50 had been concluded.

Er, no.

Have you any idea how much of our law has cumulatively come from the EU?

How on earth could we decide within 2 years what to keep and what not? Do you think that laws are simple, and one just says "oh, we'll have that one" but "that one's a bit rum, let's reject"

In most cases, those we don't like will be amended or replaced with an alternative. Think of the issues - agricultural support, sustainability of fishing, migration, employment rights, and many more areas. But that is to talk in generalities.

Now think of the specifics: the reporting processes that pharmaceutical companies must comply with, the tariffs on New Zealand lamb, the emissions standards of HGVs. This is to touch on perhaps 0.01% of the issues affected.

To reset all our law at the moment of exit would be an affront to Parliamentary democracy, a practical near impossibility for the legal machine to digest and a wrecking ball on stable functioning of the economy.

May's plan is the sensible way.

It has the added advantage of giving us a bit of leverage should the Europeans prove tricky about negotiating a reasonable settlement. It shows that constitutionally the ball is in our court, and we may fire the gun on actual Brexit as and when we please.
    Is this the "tim"? If so, welcome back.
    Being nice about a Conservative politician? This can't be the 'tim' of old.
    Given what's happened to Labour I expect that Tim is now a fully paid up member of the Tory party.
    Didn't you get the memo...we are all Tories now....
  • Options
    SeanT said:

It is happening. Though this fills me with dread. It's like the change in the Force during the destruction of alderan.
  • Options
    tyson said:

"Brexit was a right wing wankfest where a lying campaign manipulated sufficient numbers of disenchanted voters to agree with something that was incompressible, silly and ultimately destructive." Discuss.

I have just had sight of the A level Political and Modern Studies Exam Paper for 2024. Shush..do not tell anyone.... This was the first question.

https://twitter.com/endless_europe/status/782176304858824704
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

IanB2 said:

SeanT said:

I think "it is happening" needs rather more than taking all the laws and regulations we currently follow, and agreeing that we will continue to follow them, without any changes.
    It clears the way for us to leave and brings EU law onto the UK statute book proper making them easier to repeal.
    Even if you are right, actually leaving remains three to five years away
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,690
    tyson said:

I don't get the use of the word incompressible?

'In fluid mechanics or more generally continuum mechanics, incompressible flow (isochoric flow) refers to a flow in which the material density is constant within a fluid parcel—an infinitesimal volume that moves with the flow velocity.'
    Incompressible flow - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incompressible_flow
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,960
    tyson said:

One sentence answer.

The Remain campaign, manipulative, negative and threatening as it was, created a remarkable groundswell of support for Remain; both the fears and hopes of those who voted against the winning result were proved unfounded.
  • Options
    TimTim Posts: 44
    edited October 2016
    IanB2 said:

SeanT said:

I think "it is happening" needs rather more than taking all the laws and regulations we currently follow, and agreeing (or, more correctly, proposing that we should agree) that we will continue to follow them, without any changes.
    An infantile comment. You're a buffoon.

It's like criticising the Scottish and Welsh devolution processes for not involving changes to Scottish and Welsh policy on day 1 of the new arrangements.

Perhaps you think when a new CEO comes into a company it's a pointless move unless they alter the product lines within their first 24 hours. Or that there's no point buying a new house unless you repaint it instantly.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013
    tyson said:

By 2024, people will wonder what all the fuss was about.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,684
    IanB2 said:

MaxPB said:

IanB2 said:

SeanT said:

Even if you are right, actually leaving remains three to five years away
    Three years at least, but now we know the government are serious about leaving, there will be no fudge. No "this is too hard, we're going to give up" rubbish that more die hard remain types are hoping for.
  • Options

Betting related post

Theresa May has told The Sunday Times she has ruled out a general election before 2020 as an early vote would cause "instability"

That's a very interesting move by May. While the governments functional majority on many Brexit matters will be much larger than 16 on some Brexit matters it will be none existent. By deliberately seeking to deliver Brexit via the current House of Commons she's keeping the child lock on.
  • Options
    Tim said:

IanB2 said:

SeanT said:

It's like criticising the Scottish and Welsh devolution processes for not involving changes to Scottish and Welsh policy on day 1 of the new arrangements.

Perhaps you think when a new CEO comes into a company it's a pointless change unless they change the product lines within their first 24 hours. Or that there's no point buying a new house unless you repaint it instantly.
    Day one being actually about day 100.

Infantile abuse normally indicates the lack of decent argument.

Of course it will take some time (my earlier post said as much). The point is that today's announcement essentially concedes what was always obvious and inevitable, and takes us not a step closer to resolving any of the outstanding questions or issues about what post-Brexit actually looks like for our country.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

SeanT said:

It's interesting in the same sense as a multi-car pile up on the opposite carriageway of the motorway. It's human nature to rubberneck. Except it's on our side. And we're doing 80.

When a man is convinced he's going to die tomorrow, he'll probably find a way to make it happen.

It's time you turned that frown upside down, Mr Meeks.

• Options
    SeanT said:

tyson said:

THE LOSERS ARE CHATTING.
    With your inevitable mood swings, and Brexit does look like turning into a disaster, you'll be funding that chap's case
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    edited October 2016

tyson said:

twitter.com/endless_europe/status/782176304858824704
    A man has raised £145,000 & hired lawyers to prosecute politicians who lied about Brexit:

So, all of them then?

• Options

SeanT said:

When a man is convinced he's going to die tomorrow, he'll probably find a way to make it happen.

It's time you turned that frown upside down, Mr Meeks.

I've read a day's worth of pb comments that consist largely of "I want this to happen and so it will". Forgive me if the thought processes of a five year old do not inspire me with confidence.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,960

Betting related post

That's a very interesting move by May. While the governments functional majority on many Brexit matters will be much larger than 16 on some Brexit matters it will be none existent. By deliberately seeking to deliver Brexit via the current House of Commons she's keeping the child lock on.
    No, she is daring any foolish Tory MP (and indeed many Labour MPs too) who wants to keep their seat after the boundary changes to defy her and the SOVEREIGN WILL OF THE BRITISH PEOPLE.

They'll fall into line.

And if the Lords don't - well, hey, they can be flooded or reformed.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited October 2016

Betting related post

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/politics/marketactivity?id=1.125203945&selectionId=1108299

Thanks - I was looking out for that. The £10k @1.02 ^ was me re-backing "No election in 2016" - having laid @ 1.2 post-brexit.

Big loss for me there.

Boo.

Still, I'd take that bet again.
  • Options
    The image in the link below is NSFW, in fact, once seen, it can never be unseen

Forget Sam Allardyce. Dwarf says she sucked off a prem manager while he was taking a bung! Shock investigation by @thesundaysport

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CttaZ7MWIAQhrvh.jpg
  • Options
    SeanT said:

IanB2 said:

SeanT said:

Did you expect us to leave overnight? Over a weekend? Bish bosh, we're out, all EU law repealed. FFS we've been slowly drowning in the EU for nearly fifty years.

5-10 years to leave is as fast as we can do it, without fucking the economy. So many many laws must be examined, then kept or repealed. As we decide. The hardest part is pulling the trigger. The act itself. Leaping.

It seems Theresa has the cullions, after all.
    Save the post for when the trigger is pulled. The latest betting suggests February.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

Brexit Wounds?
    He was seen queuing for the Britain's Got Talent auditions. I can't wait to hear what he sings.
    "Fair well, adieu, to you and you and you" (hic).
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Day one being actually about day 100.

Infantile abuse normally indicates the lack of decent argument.

Of course it will take some time (my earlier post said as much). The point is that today's announcement essentially concedes what was always obvious and inevitable, and takes us not a step closer to resolving any of the outstanding questions or issues about what post-Brexit actually looks like for our country.

The point is that the Brexit policy landscape will be, over time, what our elected representatives vote for it to be.

Cavilling - as you were - over the technical kick-off to this process is just silly. All the more so, because you think that this course is inevitable.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

tyson said:

THE LOSERS ARE CHATTING.
    With your inevitable mood swings, and Brexit does look like turning into a disaster, you'll be funding that chap's case
    I forgot. You're a traitor. Soon people like you will be hunted down and fed to foxhounds. Metaphorically

At least you're not planning to deport me to Madagascar this time, I suppose that's something.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Betting related post

No, she is daring any foolish Tory MP (and indeed many Labour MPs too) who wants to keep their seat after the boundary changes to defy her and the SOVEREIGN WILL OF THE BRITISH PEOPLE.

They'll fall into line.

She's saying in the first instance that an overwhelmingly pro Remain HoC elected on a pro Remain mandate will do the legislative heavy lifting. An early general election would almost certainly return a pro leave majority HoC elected on a leave mandate.
  • Options
    Pong said:

Betting related post

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/politics/marketactivity?id=1.125203945&selectionId=1108299

Thanks - I was looking out for that. The £10k @1.02 ^ was me re-backing "No election in 2016" - having laid @ 1.2 post-brexit.

Big loss for me there.

Boo.

Still, I'd take that bet again.
    I'm still hopeful for a 2017 general election.
  • Options
    edited October 2016

Forget Sam Allardyce. Dwarf says she sucked off a prem manager while he was taking a bung! Shock investigation by @thesundaysport

lol

The sunday sport is great.

"The manager - who can't be named because it isn't true for legal reasons"
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,211

viewcode said:

Is there any meaningful constituency - the arch-federalists, residing mainly within the EU institutions, notwithstanding - which views the Euro as a success?

Altough I assume many people don't like it, the fact that no government that uses the Euro has even *tried* to get rid of it (don't forget Tsipras fired Varoufakis immediately when it became public he was trying to establish a shadow currency) makes me think that *they* consider it better than the alternatives.

Unstupid point: a lot of the anglophone discussion about the EU is between people who speak English. It sounds obvious, but we routinely neglect the views of the rest of the planet, who may have a different opinion. It's like the back of your head: a blind spot so big you don't notice it's there.
    The fact that a half-ruined country like Greece might have invested so much political, economic and emotional capital in being part of the Euro that it can't bear to give it up does not mean that membership of the single currency can be viewed as having been a success for it. If Greece were to return to the drachma now then this would effectively amount to an admission that Euro membership has failed - and, therefore, the enormous suffering of the Greek people since 2008 has been to no useful end whatsoever. So, finding themselves in a hole, they nonetheless keep on digging.
    You misunderstand my response. Your question was "Is there any meaningful constituency - the arch-federalists, residing mainly within the EU institutions, notwithstanding - which views the Euro as a success?". My response was an attempt to answer your question by pointing out that tens of governments and hundreds of millions of people use it every day and are not planning to get rid of it, so presumably they do. You may very well be correct in believing that the Euro is a Bad Thing, but that wasn't the question you asked.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,426
    edited October 2016
    rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

MTimT said:

Dad, I know that's you.
    It's a wise child that knows his own father.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    edited October 2016
    Tim said:

IanB2 said:

SeanT said:

Perhaps you think when a new CEO comes into a company it's a pointless move unless they alter the product lines within their first 24 hours. Or that there's no point buying a new house unless you repaint it instantly.
    Now is this the Tim as in tim, or another Tim altogether? Either way, welcome (back?)
  • Options
    Pong said:

lol

"The manager - who can't be named because it isn't true for legal reasons"
    You can't libel the imaginary.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Mortimer said:

Betting related post

They'll fall into line.

I cannot conceive of the scenario where she might lose the vote. The Tories will be whipped to oblivion. Possibly only Ken Clarke, if he is still an MP, will oppose. The DUP agree. Dozens of Labour MPs, in fear of Corbyn or their voters, will agree or abstain.

The Great Repeal Act will pass the Commons, comfortably. If the Lords obstruct, suicudally, they will be overruled and possibly abolished in the aftermath.
    It won't even be close: it'll be 600 to 50.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

tyson said:

By 2024, people will wonder what all the fuss was about.
    That is the most positive thing anyone has said about Brexit I have read so far....and I sincerely hope you are right.

The very best outcome for Brexit would be that.. i.e. what the hell was all the fuss about? And I would be the first to say pbCOM's seanfear said it here all along....
  • Options

SeanT said:

tyson said:

THE LOSERS ARE CHATTING.
    Sean T invades TSE's safe-space.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

This must surely be the next PB thread? Is there any way Ms May can lose her Great Repeal Act in the Commons? To me it seems virtually impossible. But perhaps wiser political heads know better

I'm writing the morning thread on it as we speak.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Betting related post

They'll fall into line.

Or parliament acted.
  • Options

Guinan! Didn't you used to be a black woman?
  • Options
    YellowSubmarineYellowSubmarine Posts: 2,740
    edited October 2016
    SeanT said:

This must surely be the next PB thread? Is there any way Ms May can lose her Great Repeal Act in the Commons? To me it seems virtually impossible. But perhaps wiser political heads know better

SeanT said:

I'd advise Sunrise and Sunset clauses as europhile least worse options not seeking to block it. And the Lords putting it into a committee of the full house.
  • Options

tyson said:

Is George Osborne first on his list ?
  • Options

SeanT said:

What's the email address for submitting a draft thread header for consideration ?
  • Options
    619619 Posts: 1,784
    69% of suburban women likely voters think Trump LACKS the temperament to be a good POTUS (Fox poll). Just what Clinton exploited in debate.
  • Options
    619 said:

69% of suburban women likely voters think Trump LACKS the temperament to be a good POTUS (Fox poll). Just what Clinton exploited in debate.

I suppose the other 31% are slightly clouded by taking cocaine or prescription drugs.
  • Options

SeanT said:

What's the email address for submitting a draft thread header for consideration ?
    Mike at politicalbetting dot com
  • Options

SeanT said:

Mike at politicalbetting dot com
    Thanks !
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Good man. I hope post Brexit we can be PB pals once again

You need to give up Remainism. It's a dead philosophy. It will soon be like communism in east Germany in 1998.

All true Brits must now unite. We're out. We're on our own. Let's do this thing.
    I'm trying to make Brexit work.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    tyson said:

And the next right wing wankfest will presumably be Trump winning 8th November.
  • Options
    Calling all PB video game players:

Can I just recommend Hitman. Yes, I know many of you will hate the episodic nature of it, but I've clocked around 110 hours on it so far. It's a fabulous game. The second episode (Sapienza) is possibly the finest video game level ever designed, and I keep going back to discover additional ways to kill the various characters.
  • Options
    NoEasyDayNoEasyDay Posts: 454
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

You need to give up Remainism. It's a dead philosophy. It will soon be like communism in east Germany in 1998.

All true Brits must now unite. We're out. We're on our own. Let's do this thing.
    Truellly vomit inducing.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Can I be your PB pal please? Pretty please. I'll be very good I promise, and try to be very well behaved about Brexit. I seem to have lost my only pal Roger who doesn't post here anymore.

• Options

Betting related post

The only problem is it probably isn't true. If the Tories are 25% ahead next spring she won't have any choice but to call an election.
  • Options
    PeterCPeterC Posts: 1,274
    SeanT said:

Mortimer said:

Betting related post

They'll fall into line.

I cannot conceive of the scenario where she might lose the vote. The Tories will be whipped to oblivion. Possibly only Ken Clarke, if he is still an MP, will oppose. The DUP agree. Dozens of Labour MPs, in fear of Corbyn or their voters, will agree or abstain.

The Great Repeal Act will pass the Commons, comfortably. If the Lords obstruct, suicudally, they will be overruled and possibly abolished in the aftermath.
    If the Lords oppose I suggest restoring the writ of summons to the the hereditaries. A delightful prospect: pucker aristocrats riding the rescue of the democratic will of the people against the jumped up faux aristocrats who now dominate their Lordships' House.
  • Options

No way is she a high class hooker.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Guinan! Didn't you used to be a black woman?
    http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/double-facepalm.jpg
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    Mortimer said:

As an MP, anything that a correspondent demanded IN BLOCK CAPITALS got put to the bottom of the pile. It's the modern green ink.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,760
    edited October 2016
    rcs1000 said:

I wonder if SeanT can

1) Offer his thoughts on whether she is high class

2) Confirm if he's ever used that hooker
  • Options

SeanT said:

You could try mike at politicalbetting. And then dot com.
  • Options
    You might wonder why the government is so exercised about parliament not having a vote on A50, when they are now proposing a vote on this repeal bill.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

I wonder if SeanT can

1) Offer his thoughts on whether she is high class

2) Confirm if he's ever used that hooker
    Small class, surely?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

tyson said:

Any thoughts on this? RodCrosby is still in the sinbin, and you're one of the few left who I can talk to this about.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    rcs1000 said:

I dunno. It is all relative and depends on the circles that you move in.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

NoEasyDay said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Truellly vomit inducing.
    TRUELLLY SCRUMPTIOUS
    National bad spelling day?
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    rcs1000 said:

High class ex-hooker.

Currently works in a primary school.

Looking for a new job on Monday.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    edited October 2016
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Bollocks. Politics is about division and Brexit Britain will be a bit crap. Not total crap, but at least part crap.
  • Options
    I can't believe I'm on pb on a Saturday night.

But then I remember why. It's because I'm having a quiet night in. Because I have a flying lesson in a Spitfire tomorrow.

If, around 3pm, you are near Cambridge, and see a Spitfire fly overhead. That's me flying it, that is.
  • Options
    NoEasyDayNoEasyDay Posts: 454
    SeanT said:

NoEasyDay said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Truellly vomit inducing.
    TRUELLLY SCRUMPTIOUS
    Arse licking....is scrumptious, Really !

• Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    New thread
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    Quite remarkable broadside from the normally obsessively neutral on-the-one-hand-on-the-other-hand USA Today:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2016/09/29/dont-vote-for-donald-trump-editorial-board-editorials-debates/91295020/
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    rcs1000 said:

I can't believe I'm on pb on a Saturday night.

But then I remember why. It's because I'm having a quiet night in. Because I have a flying lesson in a Spitfire tomorrow.

If, around 3pm, you are near Cambridge, and see a Spitfire fly overhead. That's me flying it, that is.

Good luck. Do you have a PPL or is it a trial flight?

The met looks really good for tomorrow
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

You might wonder why the government is so exercised about parliament not having a vote on A50, when they are now proposing a vote on this repeal bill.

You might wonder but it's obvious if you think about it. The Government wants to avoid being hemmed in on their negotiating strategy by amendments asking for the impossible.

Repealing the 1972 Act is a necessary and clean move. Putting A50 to a vote is unnecessary and would be messy.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Tim said:

IanB2 said:

You might wonder but it's obvious if you think about it. The Government wants to avoid being hemmed in on their negotiating strategy by amendments asking for the impossible.

Repealing the 1972 Act is a necessary and clean move. Putting A50 to a vote is unnecessary and would be messy.
    Or, perhaps, they fear/foresee a defeat on the A50 court case (despite all the bullish talk prior) and are looking for some firmer ground on which to concede a parliamentary vote.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

AndyJS said:

tyson said:

Any thoughts on this? RodCrosby is still in the sinbin, and you're one of the few left who I can talk to this about.
    Why am I the only person you can talk to about it?
This discussion has been closed.