Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A look back to EURef: Even at 3.10am, five hours after coun

SystemSystem Posts: 11,711
edited October 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A look back to EURef: Even at 3.10am, five hours after counting began, REMAIN was still a 51% chance on Betfair

Even though it is now more than three months away I am still getting asked question and being invited to give talks on what happened on the betting markets on that memorable night for political punters – the EU referendum results. The above has been prepared for a session in Brussels that I am taking part in later in the month.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,971
    First like Leave!
  • Options
    Second like Remain!
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956
    Third like spoiled ballots!
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,018
    Sandpit said:

Second like Remain!

Unfair!
  • Options
    And what a night. Much kudos to Andy for his spreadsheet!
  • Options
    Well down like Owen...Owen....Owen....nope can't remember his second name.
  • Options
    As sad as a poster that relies upon numerics. Back to the kindergarten (but, thankfully, Auntie Hortence is still locked-in-the-attic)!
  • Options
    RobD said:

:+1: for Andy's spreadsheet - must have made tens of thousands of pounds for those on this board alone. @AndyJS, you'll never have to buy beer at any PB drinks for several years!
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    RobD said:

We need a POTUS equivalent...

It was a very good night for the foxinsoxuk beer fund, but sadly assets have since been depleted.

• Options
    Would like to add my thanks for Andy and his spreadsheet. Put the talking heads on the moving picture box to shame.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    It was pretty obvious after Sunderland and Newcastle that Leave was on course to win.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,300
    edited October 2016
    AndyJS said:

It was pretty obvious after Sunderland and Newcastle that Leave was on course to win.

Not if you watched the tellybox or used Remain's internal model....Remain still had their side winning.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Not if you watched the tellybox or used Remain's internal model....Remain still had their side winning.
    10% margin for remain? Titters....
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,528
    edited October 2016
    Fourteenth like the monster raving loonies !
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956
    On the topic of Andy's spreadsheet, I missed it, having decided not to bet on the referendum and being out at the count in the wee hours of the 24th. I would be interested to see said spreadsheet though - where would I find it?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Not if you were watching TV or Betfair it wasn't!! You did well, Sir.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    The spreadsheet predicted huge wins for Remain in London with shares of around 75% in places like Camden, so when those came through it didn't in any way mean that Remain was on course to win overall.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    AndyJS said:

For me it was Swindon and the rumours about Sheffield being very close.
  • Options
    Paul_BedfordshirePaul_Bedfordshire Posts: 3,632
    edited October 2016
    AnneJGP said:

malcolmg said:

MTimT said:

Another EU directive coming into force this year essentially bans the production of the chemical that is the basis of disinfection in hospitals and laboratories. Expect hospital-acquired (nosocomial) and laboratory-acquired infections to increase once this directive enters into force. The sad thing is that the hospital and laboratory community was not even aware, let alone involved, in the development of the regulation until it was too late to stop, as it was seen as an environmental issue. And good luck with rolling back such EU regulation once the negative impacts are felt.

These are just two I know about in my specific area of expertise

This is typical of the sort of thing that if it had to be proposed as a measure by the British Government and put through parliament wouldnt stand a chance.

However as a directive proposed by the undemocratic commission it is nodded through as secondary legislation under the EEC Act 1972 with MPs told that it would be 'an abuse of process' to oppose it.

It makes my blood boil - or at least it would have done until June 24th when I discovered a majority of my fellow British citizens felt the same way and were not prepared to put up with this state of affairs any longer. Now I juat grimace then sigh "Thank Goodness" when I read things like that.
    How is the clock doing, still clucking

Also its wings are a bit odd, they are more like my spaniels ears than wings.

Plenty left over at the shop last night. They are not selling all that fast.
    Hard to think why....
    The other thing is that its cuckooing is recorded cuckooing in the black forest or somewhere.

Unfortunately they didnt notice when they recorded it that another cuckoo was cuckooing back at it. So every time it cuckoos there is a slightly fainter response cuckoo afterwards so at ten oclock you actually get twenty cuckoos. Ten loud and ten not so loud 'echoes'.

It is quite cute though, even if it is an albino starling with a red beak and spaniel ears that cant count.
    Where do you get it & how much is it? Sounds to me as though such a wacky thing could be a worthwhile purchase. :smiley:

(edited to add: cue for a run on them, sold out in minutes?)
    £29.99 at Aldi, batteries included.

And got a light detector so it dosent cuckoo through the night (unlike some here....)
  • Options
    FPT @Max

London never voted to support the rest of England nor England to support Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. Yet that is the current reality and the outcome makes sense for everyone. The Germans won't vote to support Southern Europe yet it is in their long run interests to do so, generating future customers for their products.

The more you look at the story state of contemporary politics, the more you have to admire our predecessors who conceived and delivered something like the Marshall Plan to help Europe recover from wartime destruction. In today's politics such an idea wouldn't get past first base.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Andy and his spreadsheet was the real story of the night.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    edited October 2016
    RobD said:

A wonderful night. I never expected that Leave could win, and was resigned to an interesting night, hoping that the result would at least be a substantial Remain.

The floods in London & elsewhere during the day, giving a sort of apocalyptic atmosphere to the vote..

@SouthamObserver and his epic journey to get to the polling booth on time, with its last-minute successful ending (at least he got to register his vote).

@AndyJS spreadsheet making the results comprehensible & meaningful right from the start.

Truly amazing.

(edited to add: and I don't even bet!)
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Essexit said:

On the topic of Andy's spreadsheet, I missed it, having decided not to bet on the referendum and being out at the count in the wee hours of the 24th. I would be interested to see said spreadsheet though - where would I find it?

The spreadsheet was tremendously useful in allowing us to quickly validate that the early declarations were pointing towards a clear leave win - something the BBC didn't concede until three or four hours later. Despite being a remain voter and having my money originally on remain, those three hours allowed me to make more profit than any other single event from political and financial betting

Edit/ i was watching the BBC coverage, and it was very obvious that both the financial markets and the betting were being driven minute to minute by the commentary on the BBC (much of which was misguided, or at best late, in realising what was happening). Whilst people sometimes argue that Sky or ITV coverage is better, it is very clear to me that, so long as the BBC is the go-to channel for any major event such as this, if you are betting on it then the BBC is where you need to be.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,300
    edited October 2016
    AnneJGP said:

RobD said:

A wonderful night. I never expected that Leave could win, and was resigned to an interesting night, hoping that the result would at least be a substantial Remain.

The floods in London & elsewhere during the day, giving a sort of apocalyptic atmosphere to the vote..

@SouthamObserver and his epic journey to get to the polling booth on time, with its last-minute successful ending (at least he got to register his vote).

@AndyJS spreadsheet making the results comprehensible & meaningful right from the start.

Truly amazing.

(edited to add: and I don't even bet!)
    I forgot all about SO and his dash to the polls.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,005
    AndyJS said:

Almost. But then you got those huge Remain votes in Inner London. John Curtice reckoned that places like Wandsworth and Lambeth were 10% more favourable to Remain than his model had predicted. I don't think the outcome became clear till Sheffield voted Leave.

FPT it's quite reasonable to focus on the countries that have done badly through Euro membership, because the Euro was advocated on the basis that it would improve performance among member States as a whole, and lead to economic convergence. It was not advocated on the basis that it would create big winners and big losers.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    AndyJS said:

Sunderland was a single data point, Newcastle was a massive awooga klaokon of titanic proportions
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    O/T, thought I would share:

https://twitter.com/GoodwinMJ/status/782258453259644928

The influence of the North London tendency continues to make itself felt on Labour thinking. At this rate, there won't be anything else left of the party.
  • Options
    For those thinking about a british style disaster with american polling, I don't think it would materialise.

The debates will do the job of keeping Trump down, in the Town Hall debate he may insult members of the audience, and the last debate is about Foreign Policy which requires knowing details usually of the middle east.
  • Options
    I don't suppose anyone has a table of declaration times available?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,634
    IanB2 said:

FPT @MaxPB

London never voted to support the rest of England nor England to support Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. Yet that is the current reality and the outcome makes sense for everyone. The Germans won't vote to support Southern Europe yet it is in their long run interests to do so, generating future customers for their products.

The more you look at the story state of contemporary politics, the more you have to admire our predecessors who conceived and delivered something like the Marshall Plan to help Europe recover from wartime destruction. In today's politics such an idea wouldn't get past first base.

The difference is that most people in London feel an affinity to their fellow Briton. I don't resent that my money funds projects in other parts of the country and supports programmes in the rest of the country. I absolutely resent sending my money to the EU and to European countries who are not in any way in need of foreign aid.

You can't compare regular fiscal transfers to the Marshall Plan, that was a one off rebuilding of a devastated region. This would be an annual payment to countries which waste their own money through corruption and bloated public sectors. You might be in the small minority who is happy to fund overseas bureaucracy and corruption, but it is a pretty small minority, all over Europe. Already people want to reduce EU funding, not increase it. The appetite for proper fiscal transfers to equalise productivity is close to nil.
  • Options
    edited October 2016

The influence of the North London tendency continues to make itself felt on Labour thinking. At this rate, there won't be anything else left of the party.

Only 7% want more immigration. Take note, Soubry.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    PB straw poll - who got the best Leave price on the night, did anyone actually get the 16.4 indicated by the top of the graph above at 22:10!

I'll open with 8.6, at about 5pm UK time, I know some here got over 11 (10/1).
  • Options
    RobD said:

Here's a table from 2012 of predicted declerations - I can't seem to find a table of actual 2012 declerations.
    https://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2012/nov/06/time-states-election-results-us
  • Options
    Speedy said:

For those thinking about a british style disaster with american polling, I don't think it would materialise.

The debates will do the job of keeping Trump down, in the Town Hall debate he may insult members of the audience, and the last debate is about Foreign Policy which requires knowing details usually of the middle east.

What was the first debate supposed to be about? It was so dire that I didn't sense any theme at all.
  • Options

AnneJGP said:

malcolmg said:

MTimT said:

Another EU directive coming into force this year essentially bans the production of the chemical that is the basis of disinfection in hospitals and laboratories
    These are just two I know about in my specific area of expertise

This is typical of the sort of thing that if it had to be proposed as a measure by the British Government and put through parliament wouldnt stand a chance.

However as a directive proposed by the undemocratic commission it is nodded through as secondary legislation under the EEC Act 1972 with MPs told that it would be 'an abuse of process' to oppose it.

It makes my blood boil - or at least it would have done until June 24th when I discovered a majority of my fellow British citizens felt the same way and were not prepared to put up with this state of affairs any longer. Now I juat grimace then sigh "Thank Goodness" when I read things like that.
    How is the clock doing, still clucking

Also its wings are a bit odd, they are more like my spaniels ears than wings.

Plenty left over at the shop last night. They are not selling all that fast.
    Hard to think why....
    The other thing is that its cuckooing is recorded cuckooing in the black forest or somewhere.

Unfortunately they didnt notice when they recorded it that another cuckoo was cuckooing back at it. So every time it cuckoos there is a slightly fainter response cuckoo afterwards so at ten oclock you actually get twenty cuckoos. Ten loud and ten not so loud 'echoes'.

It is quite cute though, even if it is an albino starling with a red beak and spaniel ears that cant count.
    Where do you get it & how much is it? Sounds to me as though such a wacky thing could be a worthwhile purchase. :smiley:

(edited to add: cue for a run on them, sold out in minutes?)
    £29.99 at Aldi, batteries included.

And got a light detector so it dosent cuckoo through the night (unlike some here....)
    Amazon have some, at similar price point and also with nighttime silencers. Whether their cuckoos are more realistic or sound better or worse, I have no idea. Mostly they have a small number of very positive reviews. But then you have to be a bit warped to buy one in the first place.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,014
    I was only up for a few hours, but second those who, rightly, heap praise upon Mr. JS. There was a vast yawning chasm of insight and intelligent comment between the site and the broadcast coverage and a very substantial part of that was the nigh-on perfect spreadsheet.

I just wish I'd put some money on it.
  • Options

I was only up for a few hours, but second those who, rightly, heap praise upon Mr. JS. There was a vast yawning chasm of insight and intelligent comment between the site and the broadcast coverage and a very substantial part of that was the nigh-on perfect spreadsheet.

Could have bought that trebuchet you've always wanted!
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

PB straw poll - who got the best Leave price on the night, did anyone get the 16.4 indicated by the graph above?

I'll open with 8.6, at about 5pm UK time, I know some here got over 11 (10/1)

I was at the Luton count, and couldn't bet. I got 6/1 earlier in the day.
  • Options

Racism is racism, even if all the white people in Britain outside London would back it.

• Options
    RobD said:

Visas for construction workers looks like it will go down badly as expected.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

The spreadsheet predicted huge wins for Remain in London with shares of around 75% in places like Camden, so when those came through it didn't in any way mean that Remain was on course to win overall.

Indeed.

I think Remain did a bit better than expected in Inner London than your spreadsheet predicted but Leave did much better than expected in Outer London (the bankerland of SW London excepted).
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Sandpit said:

PB straw poll - who got the best Leave price on the night, did anyone get the 16.4 indicated by the graph above?

I'll open with 8.6, at about 5pm UK time, I know some here got over 11 (10/1)

There was someone here who bet at 16, I remember it clearly. It was early on and at the time I thought they were throwing their money away - good odds are no use if you are going to lose your stake anyway. With hindsight they were bold to put their money where their mouth was and are probably now off yachting somewhere in the Eastern Med.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

RobD said:

Any system would be stricter than the one we have now. If people are coming with job offers (and Brits aren't being undercut), I can't see it as a big issue.
  • Options

Racism is racism, even if all the white people in Britain outside London would back it.

And this is why there has been no sensible debate on immigration in the last fifty years.
  • Options
    edited October 2016

Troll Alert.
  • Options

Me Dancer, your F1 race piece is good, but I am on the other side of your tip. We shall see who prevails in the morning.
  • Options
    Mr. D, aye, but it's rather easier judging value after events than before them.
  • Options

Mr. D, aye, but it's rather easier judging value after events than before them.

Just need to perfect that time machine.
  • Options
    Mr. Sandpit, ha. What did you think of the Rosberg bet I decided against?

For those brimming with curiosity, my pre-race piece is here:
    http://enormo-haddock.blogspot.co.uk/2016/10/malaysia-pre-race-2016.html
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    One more vote of thanks for @AndyJS.
  • Options

Mr. Sandpit, ha. What did you think of the Rosberg bet I decided against?

For those brimming with curiosity, my pre-race piece is here:
    http://enormo-haddock.blogspot.co.uk/2016/10/malaysia-pre-race-2016.html

It's a good thought, but a little short. Lewis is probably 3/1 or 7/2 to mess up the start, rather than 2/1 - before taking into account the possibility of the weather losing you your bet before 08:01.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Sean_F said:

AndyJS said:

Almost. But then you got those huge Remain votes in Inner London. John Curtice reckoned that places like Wandsworth and Lambeth were 10% more favourable to Remain than his model had predicted. I don't think the outcome became clear till Sheffield voted Leave.

FPT it's quite reasonable to focus on the countries that have done badly through Euro membership, because the Euro was advocated on the basis that it would improve performance among member States as a whole, and lead to economic convergence. It was not advocated on the basis that it would create big winners and big losers.
    John Curtice was clearly paranoid about calling it too early, which eventually was annoying even Dimbleby who looked visibly irritated on TV when he asked Curtice whether leave had surely won and Curtice replied that it was still too early to say. This was long past the point where anyone with any common sense, let alone the data from the PB spreadsheet, could see that there was no way even stupendous remain votes in London could tilt the result the other way. As soon as Curtice finished his quasi-explanation of why the result might swing back, the financial and betting markets rebounded in remain's favour. Curtice's academic caution made canny punters a lot of money that night!
  • Options
    RobD said:

Speedy said:

RobD said:

Any system would be stricter than the one we have now. If people are coming with job offers (and Brits aren't being undercut), I can't see it as a big issue.
    The immigration issue started with "Polish Plumbers".

You are never going to appear to solve the issue if you don't do something about the group that started the ball rolling, you have heard the phrase "the root of all evil" ?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Me Dancer, your F1 race piece is good, but I am on the other side of your tip. We shall see who prevails in the morning.
    Sadly despite spending his waking hours watching cars going round in circles, even in the rain, Mr Dancer is more often wrong than right,....
  • Options
    I think the order of declarations had a big effect on the betting prices.

Lots of early Scottish Remain declarations and Inner London Remain declaring before more mixed Outer London.

There was also the TV's obsession with expected huge Remain wins in cities (Manchester especially) whilst Leave majorities of 40,000 plus in the Midlands and North went through steadily without a mention.

Even Sheffield - the THIRD biggest voting area - went through with hardly a comment even though it showed that Leave was about to rack up enormous majorities in the old mining areas.
  • Options

The average immigrant is probably more racist (and more sexist and homophobic and anti-Semitic) than the average British citizen.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Sandpit said:

Sadly despite spending his waking hours watching cars going round in circles, even in the rain, Mr Dancer is more often wrong than right,....
    Thats a little harsh. He and I have exchanged good and bad tips for a couple of seasons now, of course the ones we remember giving were the winners (Rosberg 5/1 in Singapore!) and the ones we remember receiving were the losers - but it evens out over time. I think we are both up cash over a couple of years.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

Sandpit said:

Thats a little harsh. He and I have exchanged good and bad tips for a couple of seasons now, of course the ones we remember giving were the winners (Rosberg 5/1 in Singapore!) and the ones we remember receiving were the losers - but it evens out over time. I think we are both up cash over a couple of years.
    I didn't mean to be unfriendly. He's a man with diverse and stimulating interests, and I am sure that watching the cars going round and round keeps him out of much potential mischief elsewhere. Just for fun I put a few £ on the last three tips I saw him make about F1 on here, knowing nothing about it whatsoever myself, and so far they've all been duds. My fault, of course, for expecting a free ride on the back of someone else's expertise! No hard feelings at all.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    edited October 2016
    Sean_F said:

Absolutely correct. A lot of the Eurozone has had a rough deal out of the common currency. It was sold to people as a quantum leap towards prosperity, not a South-to-North wealth transfer scheme.

The average immigrant is probably more racist (and more sexist and homophobic and anti-Semitic) than the average British citizen.

An assertion for which it would be interesting to see some evidence. However... the A8 accession countries which have been chiefly responsible for EU migration to Britain since 2004 just so happen to be ethnically near-homogeneous states, at least some of which have proven inimical to accepting quotas of refugees partly on the basis that they refuse to have anything to do with Muslims.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

RobD said:

Here's a table from 2012 of predicted declerations - I can't seem to find a table of actual 2012 declerations.
    https://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2012/nov/06/time-states-election-results-us
    Thats the best that I could find (though perhaps the PB thread of the night would give a clearer timeline). What I do find difficult is that in the US the networks call states with only a minority of votes counted. I am not sure how reliable this is compared to UK formal declarations.

In 2012 Indiana split 54% Republican, 44% Democrat, so unless Trump has in that region of lead I would suggest Hillary is POTUS, assuming that it is still the first state reporting. I would suggest Trump needs something like 57% to be winning nationally.
  • Options
    edited October 2016

Alistair said:

RobD said:

Thats the best that I could find (though perhaps the PB thread of the night would give a clearer timeline). What I do find difficult is that in the US the networks call states with only a minority of votes counted. I am not sure how reliable this is compared to UK formal declarations.

In 2012 Indiana split 54% Republican, 44% Democrat, so unless Trump has in that region of lead I would suggest Hillary is POTUS, assuming that it is still the first state reporting. I would suggest Trump needs something like 57% to be winning nationally.
    Thanks to you both. I actually meant for the EU referendum, sorry!
  • Options

Alistair said:

RobD said:

That sounds reasonable. As you suggested earlier we need an American @AndyJS to do a spreadsheet for us!

The TV networks calling states very early is a dangerous game that backfires when it's close. It seems they'd all rather be first than right. In 2000 Gore even called Bush to concede based on what the networks were saying about Florida - then called him back half an hour later to recant!
  • Options
    Mr. B2, I was off by that time, but that's an astute observation and worth remembering for future betting.
  • Options
    Mr. B2, that is true [I'm more wrong than right, this year, at least].

Your mistake was timing. The moment to put a few pounds on a tip I offered was about a week before the Spanish Grand Prix.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    edited October 2016
    Speedy said:

RobD said:

Speedy said:

RobD said:

You are never going to appear to solve the issue if you don't do something about the group that started the ball rolling, you have heard the phrase "the root of all evil" ?
    " The immigration issue started with " Polish Plumbers "."
    Even by your barbaric standards that's a statement of paralyzing ignorance.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,234
    http://www.standpointmag.co.uk/node/6605

Worth reading as to the reasons for controlling immigration.
  • Options

Speedy said:

RobD said:

Speedy said:

RobD said:

Poland has given proportionately more in the fight against tyranny than any other nation on earth. And they welcomed British people there with open arms, both before and after the Wall came down. If the price we have to pay is welcoming into our country a few extra plumbers, then so be it.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Absolutely correct. A lot of the Eurozone has had a rough deal out of the common currency. It was sold to people as a quantum leap towards prosperity, not a South-to-North wealth transfer scheme.

An assertion for which it would be interesting to see some evidence. However... the A8 accession countries which have been chiefly responsible for EU migration to Britain since 2004 just so happen to be ethnically near-homogeneous states, at least some of which have proven inimical to accepting quotas of refugees partly on the basis that they refuse to have anything to do with Muslims.
    Undeniably Italy is big loser. Its trading performance has deteriorated since 1999, and its GDP per head has gone from parity with the UK to about $5,000 less, at a time when the UK has not grown especially rapidly. Germany of course is a big winner.
  • Options
    I think part of the thing with US states 'decleration' times is that the votes are actually announced district by district rather than a single statewide number.

We are thinking of them as 50 constituencies rather than the thousands of counties they are.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Alistair said:

RobD said:

I'd expect the swing in Indiana to be similar to the national swing. Currently, Trump leads by a similar margin there to 2012.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,128
    Sean_F said:

Undeniably Italy is big loser. Its trading performance has deteriorated since 1999, and its GDP per head has gone from parity with the UK to about $5,000 less, at a time when the UK has not grown especially rapidly. Germany of course is a big winner.

Italy has been particularly hard hit because its economic model was based around an inflexible labour market, offset by constant currency depreciation. In other words, any inflexibility in the system was worked around by everyone getting (effectively) a 5% cut in their real wages every year through the exchange rate.

There's another baleful effect people tend to forget about the constant depreciation model: it screwed Italians with savings. Those who put their money in the bank saw its value being eked away every year. We forget that, in a world of 7% inflation, the value of your savings halves every decade.

It's also worth remembering one other thing about Italy: they were always going to get hammered by demographics, in or out of the Eurozone. They have the worst TFR in Western Europe, and that means that 'drag' from a diminishing working age population, and a rising number of retirees, was always going to cause economic growth to slow dramatically.

Now, the big question is would Italy's economy revive itself by leaving the Eurozone? Unlike with Greece (where the answer is a clear yes), I don't think it's so simple with Italy. For a start, boosting exports is hardly the problem in Italy (which already runs a sizeable current account surplus). Indeed, I suspect that - as with Japan, which Italy so obviously resembles - Italy outside the Euro might see its currency rise rather than fall.

On the other hand, leaving would allow monetisation of the Italian government's debt burden, which would be a long-term positive for the country.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

How much of this is due to other factors though, such as to low fertility rates, and old fashioned labour laws? There are many factors in Italian underperformance, as indeed there are in lacklustre British economic growth since 2000.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

RobD said:

:+1: for Andy's spreadsheet - must have made tens of thousands of pounds for those on this board alone. @AndyJS, you'll never have to buy beer at any PB drinks for several years!
    I'd like to thank AndyJS too. It was - by a significant margin - the most profitable betting night of my life.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

RobD said:

Alistair said:

RobD said:

I'd expect the swing in Indiana to be similar to the national swing. Currently, Trump leads by a similar margin there to 2012.
    I must be talking to myself :D:p
  • Options
    RobD said:

Speedy said:

RobD said:

How do you define undercut?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

Italy has been particularly hard hit because its economic model was based around an inflexible labour market, offset by constant currency depreciation. In other words, any inflexibility in the system was worked around by everyone getting (effectively) a 5% cut in their real wages every year through the exchange rate.

There's another baleful effect people tend to forget about the constant depreciation model: it screwed Italians with savings. Those who put their money in the bank saw its value being eked away every year. We forget that, in a world of 7% inflation, the value of your savings halves every decade.

It's also worth remembering one other thing about Italy: they were always going to get hammered by demographics, in or out of the Eurozone. They have the worst TFR in Western Europe, and that means that 'drag' from a diminishing working age population, and a rising number of retirees, was always going to cause economic growth to slow dramatically.

Now, the big question is would Italy's economy revive itself by leaving the Eurozone? Unlike with Greece (where the answer is a clear yes), I don't think it's so simple with Italy. For a start, boosting exports is hardly the problem in Italy (which already runs a sizeable current account surplus). Indeed, I suspect that - as with Japan, which Italy so obviously resembles - Italy outside the Euro might see its currency rise rather than fall.

On the other hand, leaving would allow monetisation of the Italian government's debt burden, which would be a long-term positive for the country.
    And instructive for those who simplisticly assert that the 15% devaluation of the £ is somehow a get out of jail card.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Speedy said:

RobD said:

Speedy said:

RobD said:

Poland has given proportionately more in the fight against tyranny than any other nation on earth. And they welcomed British people there with open arms, both before and after the Wall came down. If the price we have to pay is welcoming into our country a few extra plumbers, then so be it.
    So you're saying that Britain has some eternal and unlimited obligation to Poland because its situated between Germany and Russia ?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,211
    IanB2 said:

And instructive for those who simplisticly assert that the 15% devaluation of the £ is somehow a get out of jail card.

I don't think anyone would want to see a continued depreciation of the pound. What I find curious is that none of the experts realised that a weaker pound would help the UK economy after a vote to leave the EU. What we don't want to see is the economy get hooked on a devaluing currency achieved through printing money. That's why I want to see a change in leadership at the BoE.
  • Options

Speedy said:

RobD said:

Speedy said:

RobD said:

What barbaric standards ?
    The Tories first raised it more than 10 years ago, and that started the ball rolling.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Sean_F said:

RobD said:

Alistair said:

RobD said:

If its the times EU referendum declaration results you want you can effectively see them on the BBC program:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TmUP1StPf0
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

IanB2 said:

I don't think anyone would want to see a continued depreciation of the pound. What I find curious is that none of the experts realised that a weaker pound would help the UK economy after a vote to leave the EU. What we don't want to see is the economy get hooked on a devaluing currency achieved through printing money. That's why I want to see a change in leadership at the BoE.
    That's not true at all. Melissa Kidd at Redburn, who's my favourite UK economist, wrote before the vote that sterling depreciation would provide a meaningful safety valve. She was also very clear that she did not expect a recession as a result of the Brexit vote. (Although she does expect a slowdown next year.)
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

RobD said:

Alistair said:

RobD said:

The most recent poll in Indiana had Trump on a 7% lead in early Sept, so down on 2012 Republicans. Also worth noting that with Pence being a former Indiana governor there may be a local boy effect here too, that makes interpretation of UNS difficult.

To me it looks as if Trump is some way behind Romney's performance. Still 40 days and two debates to go.
  • Options
    edited October 2016

IanB2 said:

Speedy said:

RobD said:

Speedy said:

RobD said:

So you're saying that Britain has some eternal and unlimited obligation to Poland because its situated between Germany and Russia ?
    Their pilots helped bail us out in 1940. Their soldiers supported us in Italy in 1943/4. They did the initial work without which we would never have broken the enigma code. They did the most to begin to end the scourge of communism in Europe. And their gratitude to the British endures to this day, despite the fact that what we did failed them in the end. So your point is?
  • Options

RobD said:

Sean_F said:

RobD said:

Alistair said:

RobD said:

If its the times EU referendum declaration results you want you can effectively see them on the BBC program:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TmUP1StPf0
    True, but when they start coming in thick and fast it is difficult.
  • Options
    France:
    Macron makes his first big campaign stop on Tuesday to diagnose France's problems. I think he should be weary of hitting too early, before he knows his opposition.
  • Options
    Quiz question for PBers: which Western European nation lost the highest proportion of its population during Nazi occupation?*

* About 2%
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,211
    rcs1000 said:

tlg86 said:

IanB2 said:

That's not true at all. Melissa Kidd at Redburn, who's my favourite UK economist, wrote before the vote that sterling depreciation would provide a meaningful safety valve. She was also very clear that she did not expect a recession as a result of the Brexit vote. (Although she does expect a slowdown next year.)
    Okay, let me rephrase, none of the experts who were given the time of day by the MSM.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Speedy said:

RobD said:

Speedy said:

RobD said:

History is history.

My observation is that I am yet to meet a Pole that I do not like. Very welcome migrants in my book.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

rcs1000 said:

tlg86 said:

IanB2 said:

Okay, let me rephrase, none of the experts who were given the time of day by the MSM.
    That's because "It's probably going to be OK" is not very newsworthy.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Quiz question for PBers: which Western European nation lost the highest proportion of its population during Nazi occupation?*

* About 2%

Italy?
  • Options

France:
    Macron makes his first big campaign stop on Tuesday to diagnose France's problems. I think he should be weary of hitting too early, before he knows his opposition.

Is he running as an Independent or a Socialist?
  • Options

Racism is whatever the left think it should be to enable them to be sanctimonious.

Fortunately the people have a more realistic understanding of what racism is.
  • Options
    edited October 2016

rcs1000 said:

* About 2%

Italy?
    Good guess, but no.

(Italy was not occupied for long enough, and large parts were never German occupied.)
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

* About 2%

Italy?
    Good guess, but no.

(Italy was not occupied for long enough, and large parts were never German occupied.)
    Netherlands?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

* About 2%

Italy?
    Good guess, but no.

Something obscure like Luxembourg?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

* About 2%

There is no denying that Poland lost the most, by far, but is not western. My guess for Western Europe would be Holland, because of the famine before liberation.
  • Options
    RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

* About 2%

Italy?
    Good guess, but no.

Correct. (And good guess :))
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Speedy said:

RobD said:

Speedy said:

RobD said:

Their pilots helped bail us out in 1940. Their soldiers supported us in Italy in 1943/4. They did the most to begin to end the scourge of communism in Europe. And their gratitude to the British endures to this day, despite the fact that what we did failed them in the end. So your point is?
    You're putting the cart before the horse.

Britain declared war on Germany to defend Poland.

Polish pilots and soldiers weren't helping Britain out from altruism but because their country was at war with Germany.

The same Poland incidentally which joined Germany in the dismemberment of Czechoslovakia the year before.

There's more justification to allow unlimited immigration from India for the all volunteer Indian military personnel who fought for the British Empire in multiple wars than there is for unlimited immigration from Poland.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

* About 2%

Italy?
    Good guess, but no.

Correct. (And good guess :))
    Brilliant! (Well, not for the Luxembourgish)
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Speedy said:

RobD said:

Speedy said:

RobD said:

Their pilots helped bail us out in 1940. Their soldiers supported us in Italy in 1943/4. They did the initial work without which we would never have broken the enigma code. They did the most to begin to end the scourge of communism in Europe. And their gratitude to the British endures to this day, despite the fact that what we did failed them in the end. So your point is?
    Yes I would support special moves to exempt Poland from any freedom of movement controls.

Its discrimination so the left wont like it but so what. Sovereignty means we can duscriminate if we want.
This discussion has been closed.