Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Mr. Corbyn is fortunate that LAB’s selectorate doesn’t appe

Comments

• Options
    More than a tonne of cocaine with a street value of £80 million was recovered from a vessel off the English coast.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-37141811
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,602

Great decision by Theresa May to hold GB's Olympic party in Manchester and what a shame that Owen Smith says it is 'tokenism' and that HS2 should start in Manchester and HS3 should commence without delay. He really is a disaster of a politician and he makes Jeremy Corbyn look sensible. He is just a loser.

Is anyone still listening to Smith? My sources at his Oxford event indicated that there was an attempt at a standing ovation for him. 2 people stood up.

He is an embarrassment to modern politics. He only got selected because daddy pulled strings. No talent, no skill, no hope.
    Yes, me. He's doing fine in impossible circumstances where (to quote from Mike's excellent thread) "we appear to have an election where more than half those voting are data deniers (they don’t believe GE polls) or they have little interest in an early return to power for their party."

You will have plenty of time look to make excuses for Corbyn as he and his sectarian faction lead Labour to its worst election result in over a century,
    I agree it is utterly dire, but being pedantic, "worst in over a century"? That takes us back to 1916, or 1920 if GE is on target date. 1931 seems to be the date many psephologists like to refer back to. Labour went from 280-odd to 50-odd in one night.
    Try looking at in in terms of share of the vote. In 1922 the Labour share was 29.7% and the trend was up. Even in 1931 the party got over 30%.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865

Moses_ said:

Charles said:

4 x 400 men had their appealed rejected...video inconclusive....say the boxing athletic judges...

Since it's incoclusive they are guilty unless proven innocent, right?
    I still have no idea what the infringement was even if it was inconclusive on video. What was the infringement???
    Not being Brazilian?
    Agreed but seriously, what was the infringement? We are hours after the race, there has been an appeal, they have reviewed the video evidence, they have interviewed the experts over and over. No one can say what the infringement is or its inconclusive. Ok not Brazilian, seems to be the only reason at the moment.

Sorry this stinks now and until the judge stands up and says what the infringement was then it will remain a stinker.

If they were wrong they were wrong and they are out......but what did they do wrong? Just tell us.
  • Options
    Adams need a good final round....
  • Options
    Adams doing ok one point in it 3 rounds to Adams but the French girl fighting back

Gonna need a stoppage or knockout according to commentator to stop Adams?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,130
    edited August 2016
    Reckon Adams will have lost this fourth round and the gold....

EDIT: Phew - good job I'm not a boxing judge!
  • Options
    Adams wins Gold !!!

French girl dun good though, really good!
  • Options

I reckon you were right though.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Charles said:

ToryJim said:

Charles said:

Did the BBC really just refer - on the news - to Sadiq Khan as a rock star of a politician?!

Seriously?!?
    Yes I think. Piece on the night tube and about 3 people cheered. Not sure if they called him a "rock star politician" or a "welcome more like that of a rock star than a politician"

Either a bit odd

For the night tube?

That Boris initiated?

To be fair they did say "it wasn't his idea but he's happy to take the credit"...
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited August 2016
    Nobody appears to have a bloody clue who is winning / losing in the modern pentathlon. A British guy is winning, but apparently is not really winning because they have totaled up all the points yet.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited August 2016
    Nicola Adams retains her Olympic title - I think that makes 15/19 – Most impressive.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977
    edited August 2016
    To me, looked like the French girl did better in those last two rounds. how are these things judged etc?
  • Options
    edited August 2016

To me, looked like the French girl did better in those last two rounds. Good thing I'm not a boxing judge.

No doubt about it. Seemed like 2 rounds all to me.
  • Options
    GB now guaranteed to come second on the medal table.
  • Options
    Adams
    The most accomplished amateur boxer the GB has ever had. Twice gold medal winner.

Tysons head must be exploding at the moment. On the one hand it's an acceptable sport on the Tyson scale yet on the other .......to parade it is considered tokenism.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    What is this fencing lark, its pub pool table rules? Winner stays on, challenger has to pay 50p to play?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,897

To me, looked like the French girl did better in those last two rounds. how are these things judged etc?

3 judges score separately on who they think did best. Unless its really one sided it generally seems to be scored 10-9 per round.

Surprised the last round went to Adams unanimously.
  • Options
    Night Tubes and a Bike Hire scheme are two fine examples of how London benefits from having a Mayor. They are precisely the kind of initiatives which would never be introduced under a committee system, requiring instead the drive of someone who is determined to make their mark on our great capital city.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985

Nailed on? :D
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    I presume this Guardianista view of why Brexaggedon isn't happening has been discussed.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/aug/20/brexit-eu-referendum-economy-project-fear
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,130

I reckon you were right though.
    Maybe Putin had a quiet word.....
  • Options

It certainly appears that way and compensates for Tom Daley's shock horror exit earlier this afternoon.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Moses_ said:

This is why I utterly loathe Labour.

Why can't these people just disappear up their own fundamental. They hate this country, they hate it's people and they absolutely hate us being in any way successful. I really hope this party destroys itself entirely. I will weep not a single tear. I welcome it.

"Labour leadership contender Owen Smith has described the decision to hold an Olympic parade in Manchester as "tokenistic"

http://news.sky.com/story/smith-manchester-olympic-parade-tokenistic-10545098

Well done Team GB one and all we will give you your victory parade you truly deserve despite the disgrace of the Labour Party.

What the hell is he talking about?

"I think lots of people feel we're too centralised a country in government terms, and too centralised in terms of industry and opportunity.

"I think we should all of us be doing a bit more. But it is a bit tokenistic. Frankly, there could be more done by government in order to spread resources.

"Why not build, for example, HS2 starting in the North towards the South. Why not commit to HS3 through the Pennines?

What on earth does HS2 have to do with holding an Olympic parade? Sorry to say Smith has come across so far in this leadership campaign as a bit of a prat.

Is this another example of his bungling ISIS comments, when obviously he wanted to make a point about the irish process and talking, out doing jeremy, and messed it up, and here he wants to show how much he supports localism for the north, and so brings it up where it isn't needed?
  • Options

Only need three more to beat London.

Mo
    Joe Joyce
    Any one of the TK competitors?
  • Options

It certainly appears that way and compensates for Tom Daley's shock horror exit earlier this afternoon.
    Tom who ???
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,277
    MTimT said:

I presume this Guardianista view of why Brexaggedon isn't happening has been discussed.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/aug/20/brexit-eu-referendum-economy-project-fear

Far too early to make any judgments. As he says: "Some caveats are in order. It is still early days. Hard data is scant."
  • Options
    edited August 2016

Mo
    Joe Joyce
    Women's 4 x 400m relay outside chance.

Sharp qualified well in 800m as well, but doubt will win a medal. Its Caster Semanya, then a Kenyan, then A.N.OTHER.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,277

Great decision by Theresa May to hold GB's Olympic party in Manchester and what a shame that Owen Smith says it is 'tokenism' and that HS2 should start in Manchester and HS3 should commence without delay. He really is a disaster of a politician and he makes Jeremy Corbyn look sensible. He is just a loser.

Is anyone still listening to Smith? My sources at his Oxford event indicated that there was an attempt at a standing ovation for him. 2 people stood up.

He is an embarrassment to modern politics. He only got selected because daddy pulled strings. No talent, no skill, no hope.
    Yes, me. He's doing fine in impossible circumstances where (to quote from Mike's excellent thread) "we appear to have an election where more than half those voting are data deniers (they don’t believe GE polls) or they have little interest in an early return to power for their party."

You will have plenty of time look to make excuses for Corbyn as he and his sectarian faction lead Labour to its worst election result in over a century,
    I agree it is utterly dire, but being pedantic, "worst in over a century"? That takes us back to 1916, or 1920 if GE is on target date. 1931 seems to be the date many psephologists like to refer back to. Labour went from 280-odd to 50-odd in one night.
    Try looking at in in terms of share of the vote. In 1922 the Labour share was 29.7% and the trend was up. Even in 1931 the party got over 30%.
    It is interesting that 30% share resulted in only 50-odd seats.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,994
    If we do come second, that must be the most surprising result since the Cimbri accidentally smashed the Romans in about four consecutive battles.
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536

MTimT said:

Is it just me, or is the level of BBC reporting on most issues (going mainly by its news website) at a ridiculously superficial and facile level?

Have you only just noticed? The whole of BBC news now seems to be using the editorial guidelines from John Craven's Newsround.
    TV for cretins by cretins
  • Options

Mo
    Joe Joyce
    Modern pentathlon perhaps?
  • Options

Mo
    Joe Joyce

Sharp qualified well in 800m as well, but doubt will win a medal.
    She's not looking at her strongest, but you've got to think the 66 medals is a real possibility.
  • Options
    edited August 2016

Mo
    Joe Joyce
    I believe they are saying the top ranked British guy has been heavily penalised for using an unchecked fencing wire. Other than that, I have no clue what is going on.
  • Options

If we do come second, that must be the most surprising result since the Cimbri accidentally smashed the Romans in about four consecutive battles.

Accidentally?
  • Options

Mo
    Joe Joyce
    I believe they are saying the top ranked British guy has been heavily penalised for using an unchecked fencing wire. Other than that, I have no clue what is going on.
    Same here - looked like we were winning but totally lost the plot!
  • Options
    Mr. kle4, the Cimbri were a migrating tribe. They asked permission to settle in Roman land, and, if not, for a truce to cross it. The Romans attacked, and lost.

A similar pattern happened a few more times. Only the last battle, I think [which they lost], was actually intentional on their part. The rest of the time, the Romans kept attacking a tribe attempting to find a home in peace, and the Romans got a beating for their trouble.
  • Options
    I wonder if the thought plods will be arresting anyone for Tom Daley tweets this time:

' A teenager has been arrested by police investigating abuse of Team GB diver Tom Daley on Twitter.

After coming fourth in the men's synchronised 10m platform diving event on Monday, the 18-year-old from Plymouth received a message telling him he had let down his father, Rob.

Rob Daley died in May 2011 from brain cancer.

A 17-year-old boy was arrested at a guest house in the Weymouth area on suspicion of malicious communications.

Dorset Police said they acted after being contacted by a member of the public at about 22:30 BST on Monday. '

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-19059127
  • Options

Mo
    Joe Joyce
    Same here - looked like we were winning but totally lost the plot!
    All I could gather from watching a bit of the coverage is that it appears in order to compete you have to wear a Chuka Umunna style oversized overpriced watch.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    Speaking of BBC reporting, I just started watching a show called Empire. In the 2 minute series intro, the last sentence is "How could such a small island get such a big head?".

In India when asking the leader of the oldest regiment in the Indian army about its history, and the fact that many of its victories were won outside India fighting for the British, the question was "You can't be proud of that, surely?".

Given such professional detachment and lack of any perceptible bias, I have decided it's time for lunch.

Five Guys!!!!!! :smile:
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Speaking of BBC reporting, I just started watching a show called Empire. In the 2 minute series intro, the last sentence is "How could such a small island get such a big head?".

I've never quite understood why people find it so hard to understand. Nations, before they were nations even, arose from dominating others where they could. Go far enough back I'd be sure almost everyone conquered, absorbed or forced out some other peoples or culture. We were just very good at it in recent centuries when technology made a global reach easier than ever before, we were not uniquely big headed or rapacious, in fact there have been worse.
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,427

Mr. kle4, the Cimbri were a migrating tribe. They asked permission to settle in Roman land, and, if not, for a truce to cross it. The Romans attacked, and lost.

A similar pattern happened a few more times. Only the last battle, I think [which they lost], was actually intentional on their part. The rest of the time, the Romans kept attacking a tribe attempting to find a home in peace, and the Romans got a beating for their trouble.

Didn't one of the consuls end up committing suicide after his army was almost annihilated?
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Well GB have done really well done.

But let's be honest there is so much corruption in sports that needs to be sorted out.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    nunu said:

Well GB have done really well done.

But let's be honest there is so much corruption in sports that needs to be sorted out.

There's no will to root it out so completely, not from sports or the public.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Team GB tied 2nd in super posho multi-eventing.

Next up trying to horsey jump on a horse you have never ridden.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Mr. Nunu, quite agree.

Mr. Jim, I can't recall off-hand. The two battles that stick in the mind was Arausio (as bad as Cannae/Teutoberg Forest, but nobody's ever heard of it), which featured substantial rivalry and the consul Caepio, whose gold theft may be the largest heist in history, and the one [forget the name] Marius fought, finally beating them.

Mr. kle4, because some people are damned fools. As you say, empire and conquest have been the norm for the majority of human history, and it's not as if a basic knowledge of the Roman Empire is rare.

Edited extra bit: perhaps a shade irate there, but it's still damned silly.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    Tim_B said:

In India when asking the leader of the oldest regiment in the Indian army about its history, and the fact that many of its victories were won outside India fighting for the British, the question was "You can't be proud of that, surely?".

Given such professional detachment and lack of any perceptible bias, I have decided it's time for lunch.

I was just about to go to the gym when I read your last two words. Now I think the car will find its way to Five Guys instead.

Eating burns calories, right?
  • Options
    Five Guys....mmmmmhhhhhhhhhh.....
  • Options

Team GB tied 2nd in super posho multi-eventing.

Next up trying to horsey jump on a horse you have never ridden.

'Mon the poshos.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    MTimT said:

Tim_B said:

I was just about to go to the gym when I read your last two words. Now I think the car will find its way to Five Guys instead.

Eating burns calories, right?
    If u chew enough times :)
  • Options
    ThrakThrak Posts: 494
    edited August 2016

Not quite, I have a horrible feeling this is going to come down to the taekwondo semi final, where the 2015 world champion Bianca Walkden should take on 2015 Grand Prix Champion Zheng Shuyin (who beat Walkden to that title).

26-23 at the moment

10:00 pm Chinese win diving (naturally)
    1:45 am Mo Farah, I'm not convinced he has the pace for the 5000
    2:15 am Women's Taekwondo - could well be GB vs China
    3:30 am Chinese win Women's Volleyball against unfancied Serbia

Maybe Joe Joyce could eke out a win tomorrow in the Super Heavy but he's up against the world champion.

So whoever gets to 27 has pretty much done it!

EDIT: Whoops 23 not 24, a bit easier then.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited August 2016
    SeanT said:

Thrak said:

Not quite, I have a horrible feeling this is going to come down to the taekwondo semi final, where the 2015 world champion Bianca Walkden should take on 2015 Grand Prix Champion Zheng Shuyin (who beat Walkden to that title).

26-23 at the moment

10:00 pm Chinese win diving (naturally)
    1:45 am Mo Farah, I'm not convinced he has the pace for the 5000
    2:15 am Women's Taekwondo - could well be GB vs China
    3:30 am Chinese win Women's Volleyball against unfancied Serbia

Maybe Joe Joyce could eke out a win tomorrow in the Super Heavy but he's up against the world champion.

So whoever gets to 27 has pretty much done it!

EDIT: Whoops 23 not 24, a bit easier then.
    If we DO come second in the table (and I hear varying opinions!) then I reckon that will be the greatest achievement in the history of British sport.

The London Olympics was a home Games - and, besides, we came 3rd

All other memorable triumphs have been in individual sports.

Quite something.
    Will you streak through Primrose Hill (Borders) if GB gets more than single figure Golds? :lol:
  • Options
    Mr. T, when I started betting regularly on F1, I deliberately avoided supporting any one driver/team [I didn't really beforehand, although obviously wanted British success]. I agree entirely emotional investment complicates things.
  • Options
    Is it me or is modern pentathlon just bonkers?
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    Horsey thing getting fun already.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    How the hell do you do horsey jumping on a horse you have never ridden...is like trying to play golf with somebodies elses sticks or riding somebodies elses track bike.
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790

Johnny Loony of this parish must be more devastated than when he found out Daley was engaged.

Quite so. I am gutted that Tom didn't reach the final; I was delighted when he got engaged. I am not sure if you are trying to imply that I might have been disappointed at his engagement; if so, you are completely barking up the wrong pelican.

• Options
    edited August 2016
    Mr. T, in the past, I toyed with the idea of a more mathematically-based approach to betting (making huge spreadsheets noting positions, patterns etc). But the chance factor in F1 is pretty high, and I think a fairly basis analytical approach (ie the Hungarian safety car) and a bit of guesswork/gut instinct works alright.

That said, my race weekend bets this year have been on the poor side [literally, I'm behind, excepting one unusual bet].

Edited extra bit: basic*, not basis. Clearly I am working too hard :p
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    runnymede said:

MTimT said:

Is it just me, or is the level of BBC reporting on most issues (going mainly by its news website) at a ridiculously superficial and facile level?

Have you only just noticed? The whole of BBC news now seems to be using the editorial guidelines from John Craven's Newsround.
    You think the BBC website is bad(it is... its clickbait for its own shows and seriously dumbed down), wait till you try Microsoft Edge.. that really is for morons and those subject to click- baiting and you cannot stop the popup ads

Edge is SHITE
  • Options
    Brazilian's been given a horse that can't jump ;)
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    SeanT said:

Mr. T, when I started betting regularly on F1, I deliberately avoided supporting any one driver/team [I didn't really beforehand, although obviously wanted British success]. I agree entirely emotional investment complicates things.

If only I could find some algorithm - seriously. If I could identify sporting and political events where I am emotionally involved, then estimate my pessimism (an emotional hedge against disappointment) then I might be able to determine the real likelihood (in my mind)

Or I could just not speculate about these things!
    Just bet on the Lib Dems and football and all will be well.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820

runnymede said:

MTimT said:

You think the BBC website is bad(it is... its clickbait for its own shows and seriously dumbed down), wait till you try Microsoft Edge.. that really is for morons and those subject to click- baiting and you cannot stop the popup ads

Edge is SHITE
    I wouldn't rate it that highly.
  • Options
    Sport suggestion: Medieval pentathlon.

Starts off with archery. Then a melee, followed by jousting. Duelling with broadswords is next and, finally, the trebuchet event.
  • Options
    edited August 2016

Starts off with archery. Then a melee, followed by jousting. Duelling with broadswords is next and, finally, the trebuchet event.

I think the sword fighting has to be last...and last man standing....and given how badly they have managed the money for Rio, brucey bonus you only need one gold medal, no silver or bronzes.
  • Options

How the hell do you do horsey jumping on a horse you have never ridden...is like trying to play golf with somebodies elses sticks or riding somebodies elses track bike.

Notionally you are supposed to be a cavalry officer making good an escape from the enemy - not surprising you won't have your pet horse with you.
  • Options
    Mr. Alex, is it called Relay Revenge?
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    weejonnie said:

Notionally you are supposed to be a cavalry officer making good an escape from the enemy - not surprising you won't have your pet horse with you.
    Apparently the horsey gets a medal..unlike all the other horsey ones

Oh how disappointing, they don't use proper guns anymore...its all laser tag.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Team GB
    .@HullCharley cards a great -3 R4, but she finishes -8 overall and will just miss out on the medals. #Rio2016 #Golf https://t.co/yJwRqxMM63

Congratulations to her, coming close to a bronze in a sport where there was only one set of medals up for grabs for each gender. If only GB cycling could have emulated the success of GB golf by winning 50% of the gold medals on offer (as opposed to 40% of those so far decided).

Maybe we should turn golf into a true Olympic sport now. We could take an army of golfers to the Olympics, each competing in their specialist area (putting, longest drive, fairways hit, greens in regulation, nearest the pin, bunker play etc) in order to allow GB to come back with a sackful of medals. And maybe add in some relay events with a different golfer for each shot.

• Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    A score of 403.25 would have been enough yesterday for Tom Daley to scrape into 18th place in the preliminary round and therefore get into the semi-final anyway.

A score of 571.85 would probably be enough to win the gold medal in the final.

Are we allowed to copy-and-paste Tom's scores from today to yesterday, and from yesterday to this evening? If not, I blame the corrupt Brazilian judges. And Jeremy Corbyn. And the quinoa-munching metropolitan liberal élite. And Enver Hoxha. And the devious Chinese, Russian, Mexican and German divers for blatantly sneakily provocatively impertinently getting better scores than Tom did.
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

Charles said:

Did the BBC really just refer - on the news - to Sadiq Khan as a rock star of a politician?!

Seriously?!?
    If he was a one legged bisexual he'd tick all their boxes.
  • Options

It's also like inventing spurious Olympic events for the sake of it in order just to share a few more medals around.

If we're going down that route, playing golf with old hickory sticks should be made into an Olympic event for 2020.

http://www.hickorygolfassociation.org/
  • Options
    edited August 2016

It's also like inventing spurious Olympic events for the sake of it in order just to share a few more medals around.

Nothing wrong with that so long as the events are entertaining. We've far too much swimming anyway, there needs to be plenty of others to beef up the totals, and modern pentathlon is closer in theme to the original olympics than some other inclusions.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Paleolithic Pentathlon.

1. Stalk an auroch.

2. Take hallucinogen and daub cave wall.

3. Fight bear

4. Cudgelling of Neanderthals

5. Gaze at night sky and *wonder*
    I believe that's an apt description of the game Far Cry Primal. (well, Far Cry 3 you also machete bears while high, but no neanderthals to cudgel)
  • Options
    Isn't it aurochs, singular as well as plural?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

kle4 said:

Nothing wrong with that so long as the events are entertaining. We've far too much swimming anyway, there needs to be plenty of others to beef up the totals, and modern pentathlon is closer in theme to the original olympics than some other inclusions.
    Swimming is fairly fucking dull unless your nation has an athlete involved. Let's face it

There are too many swimming events. But no one has the cullions to shed a few
    Indeed. The actual races are perfectly fine, a good contest is a good contest, but the variations are actually visually any more interesting after the 20th one. If that many are kept, we need more medals up for grabs elsewhere at least.
  • Options
    The poor Kazakh bloke has been given a horse that won't comply in the modern pentathlon. A totally bizarre event.
  • Options

The poor Kazakh bloke has been given a horse that won't comply in the modern pentathlon. A totally bizarre event.

You can be utterly destroyed by a poor go in the showjumping, but I imagine the horses selected are generally similar in temperament, so if one is slightly harder to manage and you are a worse rider than someone else, you will face the consequences but it is not as though some are great and others useless I'd have thought.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,320
    edited August 2016

It is interesting that 30% share resulted in only 50-odd seats.
    Lots of split votes among Labour, but only about 50 seats where the Conservatives stood against the Liberals. So the huge anti-Labour vote coalesced around a single candidate Nd that was usually enough.

Much the same happened in 1906 where the Conservatives got over 40% of the vote but only 157 seats due to a series of electoral pacts by their opponents and multiple Conservatives in some constituencies (in Greenwich there were I think 3).

That's the danger if Lbour split again.
  • Options
    Mr. T, indeed. If you're an amazing hammer thrower, you have one event. Winning as many golds as Phelps will mean competing beyond pension age.

If you're an amazing sprinter, Bolt indicates 9, give or take, is the maximum.

If you're an amazing cyclist you can get more, and if you're an amazing swimmer you've got the jackpot.

A few swimming events should be axed.

Anyway, I'm off for the evening.
  • Options

Spare a thought also for the person who knows they have to ride the horse in the second round!
  • Options
    alex. said:

Spare a thought also for the person who knows they have to ride the horse in the second round!
    Eeek. Horse was very much of the 'Nope, don't fancy that jump...or that one either. Or any of them...wanders off' mood.
  • Options

If we're going down that route, playing golf with old hickory sticks should be made into an Olympic event for 2020.

http://www.hickorygolfassociation.org/
    Very close: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roque_at_the_1904_Summer_Olympics
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869

alex. said:

Eeek. Horse was very much of the 'Nope, don't fancy that jump...or that one either. Or any of them...wanders off' mood.
    Are they just any old horses, or are they horses that know about jumping in principle?

(Good evening, everybody)
  • Options
    AramintaMoonbeamQCAramintaMoonbeamQC Posts: 3,612
    edited August 2016
    AnneJGP said:

alex. said:

Are they just any old horses, or are they horses that know about jumping in principle?

The Czech competitor has just been thrown by his horse, which then legged it. So, I have my suspicions...

And its thrown him again.
  • Options
    Thoroughly enjoying this round of horse riding in Modern Penthalon. Looks bloody dangerous.
  • Options

AnneJGP said:

alex. said:

The Czech competitor has just been thrown by his horse, which then legged it. So, I have my suspicions...

Being a cavalry officer was by no means a safe profession.
  • Options

AnneJGP said:

alex. said:

If your rider has you jump into a fence with an almighty clatter, wouldn't you be a bit nervous with them on your back? After a while they just start refusing to jump, but clearly they know how as even after a clatter they respond and jump over some others.
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    weejonnie said:

runnymede said:

MTimT said:

Edge is SHITE
    I wouldn't rate it that highly.
    You can no add extensions to it. It's also the only browser ive found that Facebook doesnt slow to a crawl with.... Still prefer firefox/waterfox, but Edge certainly has its positives.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

AnneJGP said:

alex. said:

If your rider has you jump into a fence with an almighty clatter, wouldn't you be a bit nervous with them on your back? After a while they just start refusing to jump, but clearly they know how as even after a clatter they respond and jump over some others.
    The horse was clearly spooked, which makes me feel like the whole 'ride an unknown horse' concept isn't great for either party.
  • Options

kle4 said:

AnneJGP said:

alex. said:

The horse was clearly spooked, which makes me feel like the whole 'ride an unknown horse' concept isn't great for either party.
    It's supposed to be an elite sporting contest, it's not supposed to be easy. As others have said, the point of it was simulating escaping from enemy territory, the unfamiliarity of beast and man with each other is an essential part of that.

Clearly its a sport where you need to be a damn good rider and then see how good you are in other events, as you could be the best shot and best with a sword, and yet be destroyed. Not for the faint of heart.
  • Options
    Ooh has a possible Chinese gold in the MP been factored in?
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

AnneJGP said:

alex. said:

It's supposed to be an elite sporting contest, it's not supposed to be easy. As others have said, the point of it was simulating escaping from enemy territory, the unfamiliarity of beast and man with each other is an essential part of that.

Clearly its a sport where you need to be a damn good rider and then see how good you are in other events, as you could be the best shot and best with a sword, and yet be destroyed. Not for the faint of heart.
    What was interesting me was whether they ensure that all the horses are of a similar capability, to make the contest fair for the humans, or whether they introduce some that are 'better' than others, to maintain the randomness of the original pot-luck simulation.
  • Options
    I don't know why I never noticed that of course we don't even have an alternate Pentathlon anymore besides the Modern Pentathlon. Given it has different events than the Heptathlon and Decathlon, they should bring back Ancient Pentathlon as an option.

I suppose for trademark reasons unless it was run by the IOC you could not do an actual modern Olympiad composed of just the events from the ancient games, but I think it would be a neat idea.
  • Options
    How about an olympic filibustering event?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

One striking thing in the medal table is the failure of Islamic nations.

Islam = 23% of humanity.

The highest achieving Muslim nation is Iran at 25th, followed by Indonesia at 42nd. Indonesia has a population of 250m.

Islam really is the most desperate human cul de sac in all ways, sporting to scientific, cultural to technological. It is intrinsically stagnant.

Twasn't ever thus, of course.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

AnneJGP said:

alex. said:

What was interesting me was whether they ensure that all the horses are of a similar capability, to make the contest fair for the humans, or whether they introduce some that are 'better' than others, to maintain the randomness of the original pot-luck simulation.
    I would hope the former, as while the unfamiliarity is part of creating verisimilitude, it is supposed to be an exciting but fair contest, and gifting some riders significantly better or worse horses would be more realistic but a detriment to the contest.
  • Options
    AramintaMoonbeamQCAramintaMoonbeamQC Posts: 3,612
    edited August 2016
    The IOC needs to introduce the bowls as an event. It was gripping during the Commonwealth Games. We'd clean up with a team comprised of Glaswegian pensioners, virtually no National Lottery funding required.
  • Options

How about an olympic filibustering event?

They discussed doing it but ran out of time before making a decision.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I don't know why I never noticed that of course we don't even have an alternate Pentathlon anymore besides the Modern Pentathlon. Given it has different events than the Heptathlon and Decathlon, they should bring back Ancient Pentathlon as an option.

I suppose for trademark reasons unless it was run by the IOC you could not do an actual modern Olympiad composed of just the events from the ancient games, but I think it would be a neat idea.

Bring back the hoplitodromos!
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,362
    edited August 2016
    SeanT said:

One striking thing in the medal table is the failure of Islamic nations.

Islam = 23% of humanity.

The highest achieving Muslim nation is Iran at 25th, followed by Indonesia at 42nd. Indonesia has a population of 250m.

Islam really is the most desperate human cul de sac in all ways, sporting to scientific, cultural to technological. It is intrinsically stagnant.

India is the highest scoring Hindu-majority nation - 64th, with 1 silver (badminton) and 1 bronze (weightlifting)!!!
This discussion has been closed.