Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Mr. Corbyn is fortunate that LAB’s selectorate doesn’t appe

Comments

• Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    edited August 2016
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited August 2016

PlatoSaid said:

Well, I'd have drowned by now. How the eff do they do this?

Three Brits in front runners.

And then just jump on a bike and crack on with a road race. The most mental of sports.
    And this is the whimpy "sprint" version...
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100

Speedy said:

Danny565 said:

"What I find inexplicable is that Corbyn is so popular within the selectorate in the face of a huge amount of polling data that he would be a huge liability at a general election."

It's quite simple: because, however badly Corbyn's doing, there's no evidence that the alternative would be doing any better. Especially when the alternative would by all indicators be following the doomed Remain Campaign's playbook.

The alternative to Corbyn supported peace talks with ISIS on national TV.

If that didn't convince OGH how much crappier Owen Smith is, well shame to him.

How can anyone with a brain support peace talks with ISIS on a BBC leaders debate like Owen Smith did ?

How can anyone with a brain continue to support him after that ?
    The difference is that even if Owen Smith is useless, he would only be there as the PLP nominee and as such, would be more likely to stand down if he in turn were No Confidenced - at which point, Labour might elect a half-sensible leader from among a small pool nominated from the centre and centre-right of the party.
    I don't think that pitch will work, "Vote for me and I'll resign" sounds a bit absurd and desperate.
    But the whole campaign of Owen Smith is absurd and desperate at this point.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

"What I find inexplicable is that Corbyn is so popular within the selectorate in the face of a huge amount of polling data that he would be a huge liability at a general election."

It's quite simple: because, however badly Corbyn's doing, there's no evidence that the alternative would be doing any better. Especially when the alternative would by all indicators be following the doomed Remain Campaign's playbook.

Except there is. Smith is way out in front among voters as preferred Labour leader. But it's polls again, I guess.

That wasn't a voting intention poll -- there was another poll earlier in the leadership campaign asking people how they would vote under different leaders, and it had a Corbyn-led Labour doing (slightly) better in an election than a Smith-led Labour or an Eagle-led Labour. Essentially because Tory voters who would "prefer" Smith still wouldn't switch to Labour even if he was leader, whereas people who "prefer" Corbyn actually would desert the party if he wasn't leader anymore.

In any case, for the "preferred Labour leader" you're referring to, many people who answered Smith would've had no clue who he was, and specifically would not have known he planned to ignore the EU referendum result, that he's not exactly super-competent himself, etc.

I get that misrepresenting Smith's positions works among Corbyn supporters, but it's pretty pointless on here.

And, yes, it is clear that many Corbyn supporters are just that. They do not support the Labour party. This does explain an awful lot about the current contest.

• Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Moses_ said:

PlatoSaid said:

Moses_ said:

Moses_ said:

In regard to the men's kayak gold medal would someone be able clarify if this is considered a posh or a moderately working class sport on the widely acclaimed Tyson scale of sporting achievement?

Eskimos are a minority, so should pass any Guardianista test.
    Well now you come to mention it.....

Innuit ear pulling olympics :wink:

ttp://youtu.be/onyHnECA5k8
    Are we allowed to say Eskimo anymore? I thought Innuit was the PC term. Nose-kissing and igloos will always be Eskimo to me.
    No not really apparently as Google tells me......

"Although the name "Eskimo" is commonly used in Alaska to refer to all Inuit and Yupik people of the world, this name is considered derogatory in many other places because it was given by non-Inuit people and was said to mean "eater of raw meat"

It can be applied to all of the Eskimo peoples in Canada and Greenland, that is not true in Alaska and Siberia. In Alaska the term 'Eskimo' is commonly used, because it includes both Yupik and Iñupiat.
    I'd have thought *eater of raw meat* was entirely accurate myself. I always fancied a propah Eskimo coat as a kid. I did have a real Afghan - it was my pride and joy, just beautiful - and smelly when wet. A friend had a stuffed yak brought back by her parents... I coverted it.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    Just in case you were wondering what Andy has been doing since his Olympic gold medal win

http://www.skysports.com/tennis/news/12110/10542629/andy-murray-eases-into-quarter-finals-of-cincinnati-open
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Speedy said:

Danny565 said:

How can anyone with a brain support peace talks with ISIS on a BBC leaders debate like Owen Smith did ?

The difference is that even if Owen Smith is useless, he would only be there as the PLP nominee and as such, would be more likely to stand down if he in turn were No Confidenced - at which point, Labour might elect a half-sensible leader from among a small pool nominated from the centre and centre-right of the party.
    And that is another of the reasons why Smith isn't winning -- because, even to the extent what he's saying is tolerable to some of the softer Corbyn voters, there's a fear that Smith himself would soon be ousted in favour of a Blairite ultra who will go back to the dark days of abstaining on benefit cuts (and at the same time being so useless in media interviews that they get slaughtered in an election even in spite of endless surrenders to the Tories on policy matters).

Labour MPs voted against the benefits cuts.

• Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Danny565 said:

I don't think that pitch will work, "Vote for me and I'll resign" sounds a bit absurd and desperate.
    I don't think that is quite his pitch. But frankly, at this stage, Labour should be looking for any way of getting shut of Corbyn that would allow a credible leader to be at the helm for the next GE.
  • Options
    AramintaMoonbeamQCAramintaMoonbeamQC Posts: 3,612
    edited August 2016

PlatoSaid said:

Well, I'd have drowned by now. How the eff do they do this?

Three Brits in front runners.

And then just jump on a bike and crack on with a road race. The most mental of sports.
    And this is the whimpy "sprint" version...
    Aye, it looks like a doddle... (I'd insert a wink face emoji here but I think that's been banned)

The Mauritian competitor, Fabienne St Louis, has been diagnosed with cancer and is undergoing treatment - still wanted to compete. Astonishing. Hope she completes the event.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,995
    Miss Plato, Jacqui Smith married an eskimo?
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    edited August 2016

Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

Except there is. Smith is way out in front among voters as preferred Labour leader. But it's polls again, I guess.

That wasn't a voting intention poll -- there was another poll earlier in the leadership campaign asking people how they would vote under different leaders, and it had a Corbyn-led Labour doing (slightly) better in an election than a Smith-led Labour or an Eagle-led Labour. Essentially because Tory voters who would "prefer" Smith still wouldn't switch to Labour even if he was leader, whereas people who "prefer" Corbyn actually would desert the party if he wasn't leader anymore.

In any case, for the "preferred Labour leader" you're referring to, many people who answered Smith would've had no clue who he was, and specifically would not have known he planned to ignore the EU referendum result, that he's not exactly super-competent himself, etc.

I get that misrepresenting Smith's positions works among Corbyn supporters, but it's pretty pointless on here.

And, yes, it is clear that many Corbyn supporters are just that. They do not support the Labour party. This does explain an awful lot about the current contest.

"Misrepresenting Smith's positions works among Corbyn supporters"

https://twitter.com/sunny_hundal/status/765882186973245440

https://twitter.com/timothy_stanley/status/765861619637297152

https://twitter.com/afneil/status/765880741079244800

Corbyn supporters ?
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Scott_P said:

Posh - Kayaking comes under cultural misappropriation and thus considered as Imperialist.

@JohnyHelzapopin: @JohnyHelzapopin Canoe/Kayak all non essential to industry boats are Tory, also cultural appropriation from Native Americans, über Tory
    Blimey, I was just taking the pish, - this @JohnyHelzapopin sounds like a right numpty.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,027
    PlatoSaid said:

John_M said:

PlatoSaid said:

Moses_ said:

Moses_ said:

In regard to the men's kayak gold medal would someone be able clarify if this is considered a posh or a moderately working class sport on the widely acclaimed Tyson scale of sporting achievement?

Are we allowed to say Eskimo anymore? I thought Innuit was the PC term. Nose-kissing and igloos will always be Eskimo to me.
    I am a fellow refusenik. Mind you, I still use Peking and Calcutta, so am definitely going to hell.
    And Burmese and Siamese cats :naughty:
    Thinking about it, I’ve seen quite a few cats in Thailand but I can’t recall one I would have thought was “Siamese”.
  • Options

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Danny565 said:

I don't think that is quite his pitch. But frankly, at this stage, Labour should be looking for any way of getting shut of Corbyn that would allow a credible leader to be at the helm for the next GE.

A large number of Corbyn supporters are just that. They have little interest in Labour winning elections. Having Jeremy as leader is far more important.

• Options
    theakestheakes Posts: 842
    Smith will sit down with ISIS. His campaign and approach is the worse of the two. Mike he is losing big time, last poll I saw was 2 - 1 to Corbyn.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    RE ISIS...I highly recommend the Vice on HBO episode about ISIS (its on their official channel on YouTube).
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Posh - Kayaking comes under cultural misappropriation and thus considered as Imperialist.

@JohnyHelzapopin: @JohnyHelzapopin Canoe/Kayak all non essential to industry boats are Tory, also cultural appropriation from Native Americans, über Tory
    Blimey, I was just taking the pish, - this @JohnyHelzapopin sounds like a right numpty.
    Coracle racing?
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Moses_ said:

PlatoSaid said:

Moses_ said:

Moses_ said:

"Although the name "Eskimo" is commonly used in Alaska to refer to all Inuit and Yupik people of the world, this name is considered derogatory in many other places because it was given by non-Inuit people and was said to mean "eater of raw meat"

It can be applied to all of the Eskimo peoples in Canada and Greenland, that is not true in Alaska and Siberia. In Alaska the term 'Eskimo' is commonly used, because it includes both Yupik and Iñupiat.
    I'd have thought *eater of raw meat* was entirely accurate myself. I always fancied a propah Eskimo coat as a kid. I did have a real Afghan - it was my pride and joy, just beautiful - and smelly when wet. A friend had a stuffed yak brought back by her parents... I coverted it.
    Well the raw meat bit is fairly correct.

I used to work in Iceland and also regularly in Greenland at a place called ilulissat. One of the specialities in Iceland is raw whale meat and smoked puffin. You have to be rather brave to be honest. There were also a few culinary items in Greenland that I felt I had to poke first just to ensure it was dead. On one occasion even then I still wasn't certain.
  • Options

Miss Plato, Jacqui Smith married an eskimo?

Ha!
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

PlatoSaid said:

Moses_ said:

PlatoSaid said:

Moses_ said:

Moses_ said:

I used to work in Iceland and also regularly in Greenland at a place called ilulissat. One of the specialities in Iceland is raw whale meat and smoked puffin. You have to be rather brave to be honest. There were also a few culinary items in Greenland that I felt I had to poke first just to ensure it was dead. On one occasion even then I still wasn't certain.
    Smoked puffin sounds like it would be an acquired taste.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976

PlatoSaid said:

John_M said:

PlatoSaid said:

Moses_ said:

Moses_ said:

I am a fellow refusenik. Mind you, I still use Peking and Calcutta, so am definitely going to hell.
    Thinking about it, I’ve seen quite a few cats in Thailand but I can’t recall one I would have thought was “Siamese”.
    I thought cats in Thailand were all called soup…
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Moses_ said:

PlatoSaid said:

Moses_ said:

PlatoSaid said:

Moses_ said:

Moses_ said:

Witchetty grubs (Native Australian) are often eaten raw. And alive.
  • Options
    More Trumpism!

• Options

Scott_P said:

Coracle racing?
    Or similar but at the opposite end of the posh scale " Cambridge punting slalom"
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

PlatoSaid said:

Moses_ said:

PlatoSaid said:

Moses_ said:

Moses_ said:

:open_mouth:

I well recall a steak that a colleague suggested a good vet could revive.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Moses_ said:

PlatoSaid said:

Moses_ said:

Moses_ said:

I made the horrific PC faux pas of not calling Canadian native folk, "First Nation People", I was scolded by a white Canadian.
    I was once chastised by a Pakeha* about how the British had cheated the Maori out of their lands. I pointed out that it was his ancesters that did this; my family were farming in the Peak district or Scotland at the time...

*White New Zealanders - literally settler in Maori.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

John_M said:

PlatoSaid said:

Moses_ said:

Moses_ said:

I thought cats in Thailand were all called soup…
    Don’t recall being offered cat. Rat yes.
  • Options

Moses_ said:

PlatoSaid said:

Moses_ said:

PlatoSaid said:

Moses_ said:

Moses_ said:

I thought that sounded rather yummy, whale blubber :tongue:
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

Scott_P said:

Coracle racing?
    Or similar but at the opposite end of the posh scale " Cambridge punting slalom"
    With or without some posh totty sipping Pimms amidships?
  • Options

Moses_ said:

PlatoSaid said:

Moses_ said:

PlatoSaid said:

Moses_ said:

Moses_ said:

Yea I think so. It wasn't bad to be fair but not something I would select again outright.
  • Options
    edited August 2016

Moses_ said:

PlatoSaid said:

Moses_ said:

PlatoSaid said:

Moses_ said:

Moses_ said:

They grow into these!

EDIT my favourite giant Aussie moth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpcBsnifTRE
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,277
    Speedy said:

Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

Corbyn supporters ?
    For all those who have dismissed without thinking much (and I include myself here) Owen Smith's ISIS statement, consider this long piece from Jonathan Powell (ex-Downing Street) based on his experience in Ireland and research into negotiating with terrorists:

"And while Isis may not want to talk to us at the moment, we need to start building a channel to them, as we did with the IRA in 1972, so we can communicate. At some stage, we will need to negotiate with violent Islamic extremism, whether in this form or another one, if their ideas continue to have political support and we want to find a lasting solution to conflict in the region. They are unlikely to simply fade away."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/oct/07/-sp-how-to-talk-to-terrorists-isis-al-qaida
  • Options
    Daley 17th in the diving, the Chinese girl a close second in the golf.
  • Options

Moses_ said:

Scott_P said:

Coracle racing?
    I had a friend who was a national level rower and came from a pretty normal background. I remember asked how and why he got into what is perceived as a posho sport, he informed me the posh totty in cracking shape may well have been a significant motivating factor.
  • Options

Moses_ said:

Scott_P said:

Coracle racing?
    Essential I would say to be properly "crewed and fuelled"

Also should include appropriate personal racing attire namely white slacks, a ludicrously striped jacket and a straw boater ......
  • Options
    TSE: "Do you want a drink?"

Sunil: "Got any Quorn?"

TSE: "If you want!" (He also takes a bottle of meat from the fridge).

Sunil: "Meat...? Ugh!"

TSE: "It's what Ian Rush drinks."

Sunil: "Ian Rush?"

TSE: "Yeah, an' he says if I don't drink lots of meat, when I grow up I'm only gonna be good enough to play for Accrington Stanley!"

Sunil: "Accrington Stanley? Who are they?"

TSE: "Exactly!"

• Options

Daley 17th in the diving, the Chinese girl a close second in the golf.

17th....that sounds like he is in danger of not making the final?
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Moses_ said:

PlatoSaid said:

Moses_ said:

PlatoSaid said:

Moses_ said:

Moses_ said:

They grow into these!

Holy crap..... That's a twin engine job if ever I saw one.
  • Options
    USA's True has buggered her knee and out.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    PlatoSaid said:

I am sure not rubbing it is going to fix it....
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

PlatoSaid said:

Moses_ said:

PlatoSaid said:

Moses_ said:

PlatoSaid said:

Moses_ said:

Moses_ said:

They grow into these!

Pah, I saw an Atlas Moth at Longleat last year :)
  • Options

TSE: "Do you want a drink?"

Sunil: "Got any Quorn?"

TSE: "If you want!" (He also takes a bottle of meat from the fridge).

Sunil: "Meat...? Ugh!"

TSE: "It's what Ian Rush drinks."

Sunil: "Ian Rush?"

TSE: "Yeah, an' he says if I don't drink lots of meat, when I grow up I'm only gonna be good enough to play for Accrington Stanley!"

Sunil: "Accrington Stanley? Who are they?"

TSE: "Exactly!"

David “Bumble” Lloyd’s favourite team. (Cricket reference)
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

I am sure not rubbing it is going to fix it....
    Back on her bike by the looks. Hard as nails....
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

Corbyn supporters ?

Nope, Smith did not make his position clear, but now has.

• Options
    Moses_ said:

PlatoSaid said:

Moses_ said:

PlatoSaid said:

Moses_ said:

PlatoSaid said:

Moses_ said:

Moses_ said:

They grow into these!

I don't know what the Aussies have in the water, but giant insects/deadly reptiles and huge bats seem very happy there.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Daley handstand dive...not quite under rotate

Commentator reckons he can still make it into final
  • Options
    Daley now 18th (last).
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

Yeah, if he does three good dives. Having done 3 rubbish ones doesn't give much confidence though.
  • Options
    British guy through to quarter finals in the one legged kicking competition. Beat Silver medalist from 2012.
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

Should I be switching over here from triathlon?
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Moses_ said:

PlatoSaid said:

Moses_ said:

PlatoSaid said:

Moses_ said:

PlatoSaid said:

Moses_ said:

Moses_ said:

They grow into these!

I don't know what the Aussies have in the water, but giant insects/deadly reptiles and huge bats seem very happy there.
    Also has the most deadliest animals apparently.

Also Crimbo day in summer :wink:
  • Options

British guy through to quarter finals in the one legged kicking competition. Beat Silver medalist from 2012.

Thought we only had one potential medal to come from that!
  • Options
    BannedInParisBannedInParis Posts: 2,191
    FWIW, the piece down there about opening up communication is spot on.

However, the government that does that will almost certainly have to keep that hushed up and probably back it up with real demonstrations of force. "We will talk, it's up to you to come to us, and we will kill you and your friends while you think it over".
  • Options

Apparently the two British girls who won medals in the said OLK comp share a flat.

The commentator remarked that that must be a deterrent against burglars.
  • Options
    The Pollyannaish British diving commentators remind me of the cycling "experts" during the London road race who assured us that the British team were controlling the race from the back.
  • Options

That would be an unexpected medal, if he can keep going. Still a potential medal to come in the women's taekwondo.
  • Options
    One shot off the medals in the golf at the moment.
  • Options
    edited August 2016

Apparently the two British girls who won medals in the said OLK comp share a flat.

The commentator remarked that that must be a deterrent against burglars.
    There was a story of Silver medalist in the pyjama wrestling was out to dinner in Rio and somebody tried to steal his friends phone...it didn't end well...for the thief.

With the OLK girls, if a burglar did come in, I presume only kicks to the ribs and head count...
  • Options

The Pollyannaish British diving commentators remind me of the cycling "experts" during the London road race who assured us that the British team were controlling the race from the back.

'Of course, last is exactly where we want to be at this stage, tactically'
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    PlatoSaid said:

Moses_ said:

PlatoSaid said:

Moses_ said:

PlatoSaid said:

Moses_ said:

PlatoSaid said:

Moses_ said:

Moses_ said:

They grow into these!

It's the classic double-use for a Tom Clancy book.

Big enough to read on the flight down there and then to beat the killer nasties to death with.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Moses_ said:

Should I be switching over here from triathlon?
    Just checked the results - Daley not having a good time of it at all.
  • Options
    Lord Brian Rix has died. 92 and been very unwell for a while.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

PlatoSaid said:

Moses_ said:

PlatoSaid said:

Moses_ said:

PlatoSaid said:

Moses_ said:

PlatoSaid said:

Moses_ said:

Moses_ said:

They grow into these!

It's the classic double-use for a Tom Clancy book.

Big enough to read on the flight down there and then to beat the killer nasties to death with.
    :lol:
  • Options
    MontyMonty Posts: 346
    On topic:
    Corbyn is a dangerous idiot who has already shown a willingness to toady to Iran and Russia whilst hand wringing about the USA and NATO.
    He is unfit to be Prime Minister.
    He is unfit to be Labour Leader.
    I will be voting for Smith with the full realisation that Corbyn is going to romp home.
    I'm coming to the conclusion that the best thing that can happen to Labour is an early election where we get obliterated electorally.
    Then we can regroup and decide what Labour in 21st century actually means.
    Oh, and adopt PR as a policy.
  • Options
    edited August 2016

While I'm not sure how you'd sort it, that was one of at least three occasions where GB have tuned up to a world-level one day race and got their tactics painfully wrong.

Florence 2013 - 12 fairly big hills, team set up to deliver Cavendish for a sprint :neutral:
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    4 x 400 men had their appealed rejected...video inconclusive....say the boxing athletic judges...
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,902
    Dromedary said:

The truth is that whatever the NATO treaty might say, a Russian attack on Estonia would NOT be an attack on British interests or security.

One of the first[1] things I said when UK voted LEAVE was "Well, that's the Balts fucked". One[2] thing that saddens me about LEAVE is the increaing isolationism of the UK: we are becoming a country that runs and hides and blames the victim for the fight. In deference to the LEAVE voters on here I need to point out that Brexit is more symptom than cause of this: it's been going on since at least Basra.

Given the recent increase in "let the Balts swing" sentiment, it wouldn't surprise me if UK did leave NATO, or refuse to pull its weight. Although it would sadden me further... :(

[1] I stayed up until Dimblebum brought the word from Mt Olympus, so it may have been the *actual* first thing I said, but don't quote me.
    [2] Other than the dying GBP, and the asinine insistence that staycations are better than going to Disneyland, and the lack of institutional memory...
  • Options
    Mr. Urquhart, whilst very good from a British medal perspective, these Games have been inferior to most recent ones. Green pool, dodgy disqualification decisions, a unique and unorthodox approach to judging the boxing, and quite a bit of crime (even discounting the fictional episode).

And that's before considering the tuppence ha'penny left over for the Paralympics.

• Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

4 x 400 men had their appealed rejected...video inconclusive....say the boxing athletic judges...

If the video is inconclusive surely they should be given the benefit of the doubt?
  • Options

While I'm not sure how you'd sort it, that was one of at least three occasions where GB have tuned up to a world-level one day race and got their tactics painfully wrong.

Florence 2013 - 12 fairly big hills, team set up to deliver Cavendish for a sprint :neutral:
    What tactics? When Cummings put the hammer down, Thomas and Froome were taking a whizz in the bushes and swapping bikes over.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

[checks the Dead Pool I run on another site]

No, everyone missed him.
  • Options
    glw said:

If the video is inconclusive surely they should be given the benefit of the doubt?
    It appears to be like the cricket DRS...if inconclusive we go with the original judges decision...the whole thing stinks.
  • Options
    Now in a medal position in the golf
  • Options
    edited August 2016

Mr. Urquhart, whilst very good from a British medal perspective, these Games have been inferior to most recent ones. Green pool, dodgy disqualification decisions, a unique and unorthodox approach to judging the boxing, and quite a bit of crime (even discounting the fictional episode).

And that's before considering the tuppence ha'penny left over for the Paralympics.

"inferior" is one way of putting it...Omnishambles is still too kind.

Don't forget the DQ of our open water swimmer as well....

We have also have empty stadiums, ticket touting (for said empty stadiums), idiot spectators in the cycling, golf and triathlon, booing a silver medalist, a bmx track that they painted colours which meant the riders couldn't see the jumps, track cycling not having proper cameras...

• Options
    GeoffM said:

No, everyone missed him.
    Just had a look at the Guardian site. Reported Saturday 20 August 2016 15.47 BST
  • Options
    ThrakThrak Posts: 494

glw said:

It appears to be like the cricket DRS...if inconclusive we go with the original judges decision...the whole thing stinks.
    GB team probably asking around for footage as we speak; that's the problem with saying 'trust the judges' nowadays, everything gets filmed (even low level sport via phones) and they can be proved wrong pretty conclusively.
  • Options
    Mr. Urquhart, stadia*.

Indeed, booing of that nature is not on.
  • Options
    Can't see that Daley has much chance without some ridiculously good dives
  • Options
    A tactically astute Daley is doing just enough not to qualify.
  • Options

We have also have empty stadiums, ticket touting (for said empty stadiums), idiot spectators in the cycling, golf and triathlon, booing a silver medalist, a bmx track that they painted colours which meant the riders couldn't see the jumps, track cycling not having proper cameras...

The triathlon is one deep en-route, I don't know what you mean...
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    PlatoSaid said:

The triathlon is one deep en-route, I don't know what you mean...
    Sorry it wasn't triathlon, it was the open water swim....some tw@t jumped in the water and tried to swim up to them and had to be chased down by a jet ski.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,902
    GeoffM said:

Linky?

• Options
    edited August 2016
    British Swimming
    Good strong fourth dive for @TomDaley1994 his score up to 261.85 now! Another 2 full rounds to go! #Rio2016 https://t.co/Ybyerl1m8G

Team GB
    Mahama @Chotimetkd Cho is through to the next round! Beating #GAB 6-12!
  • Options

What tactics? When Cummings put the hammer down, Thomas and Froome were taking a whizz in the bushes and swapping bikes over.
    They tried to run the race in a Team Sky manner without the depth. Plus, with two guys in the TT, they were never going to go into the red to get a team mate over the line. I know they rejected it, but having someone prepared to try to join the break might have been worth considering.

Florence - Cavendish was a waste of a spot for that course.

FWIW, Doha is at flat but windy/technical.

(Might have got tactics and strategy mixed up, not bothered if I have tbh. )
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

What a fine sunny August day it is...

• Options
    alex. said:

Can't see that Daley has much chance without some ridiculously good dives

He needs, I think, at least two people above him to flop the way he did.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    Thrak said:

glw said:

GB team probably asking around for footage as we speak; that's the problem with saying 'trust the judges' nowadays, everything gets filmed (even low level sport via phones) and they can be proved wrong pretty conclusively.

What was the alleged infringement?

• Options

Mr. Urquhart, stadia*.

Well he did say that he felt like Jesse Owens did in 1936, which equated Brazil to Nazi Germany.

You can see why they got pretty upset.
  • Options

They tried to run the race in a Team Sky manner without the depth. Plus, with two guys in the TT, they were never going to go into the red to get a team mate over the line. I know they rejected it, but having someone prepared to try to join the break might have been worth considering.

Florence - Cavendish was a waste of a spot for that course.

FWIW, Doha is at flat but windy/technical.

(Might have got tactics and strategy mixed up, not bothered if I have tbh. )
    TBH, I think Froome and Thomas were buggered for the road race. Froome broke going up the steep hill, in a way you never imagine happening in the Tour de France a couple of weeks before. However, they didn't ride as a team.
  • Options
    Thrak said:

Mr. Urquhart, stadia*.

Well he did say that he felt like Jesse Owens did in 1936, which equated Brazil to Nazi Germany.

That was after the booing, no?
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Thrak said:

Mr. Urquhart, stadia*.

That is only after they booed him during the event.....the crowd tried everything to put him off.
  • Options

Thrak said:

Mr. Urquhart, stadia*.

Not for the medal ceremony. I don't think they would have done for that otherwise. GIven how each side was booing each other at the hockey and such, I don't quite get the differences between sports on this.
  • Options

Thrak said:

Mr. Urquhart, stadia*.

The crowd behaved appallingly during the event, and the athlete then made these comments, so they then booed him during the medal presentation.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    viewcode said:

Dromedary said:

The truth is that whatever the NATO treaty might say, a Russian attack on Estonia would NOT be an attack on British interests or security.

One of the first[1] things I said when UK voted LEAVE was "Well, that's the Balts fucked". One[2] thing that saddens me about LEAVE is the increaing isolationism of the UK: we are becoming a country that runs and hides and blames the victim for the fight. In deference to the LEAVE voters on here I need to point out that Brexit is more symptom than cause of this: it's been going on since at least Basra.

Given the recent increase in "let the Balts swing" sentiment, it wouldn't surprise me if UK did leave NATO, or refuse to pull its weight. Although it would sadden me further... :(

[1] I stayed up until Dimblebum brought the word from Mt Olympus, so it may have been the *actual* first thing I said, but don't quote me.
    [2] Other than the dying GBP, and the asinine insistence that staycations are better than going to Disneyland, and the lack of institutional memory...
    Mr. Code, may I suggest an alternative viewpoint for you to consider?

The Balts being "fucked" has absolutely nothing to do with the vote to leave the EU. It is rather a factor of the european members of NATO, including the UK, to essentially disarm. If, and I think it's a big if, the Russians wanted to retake the Baltic States by force NATO could not stop them. Leave aside the geography of the situation NATO does not have the forces to win even if it wanted to.

The one thing that Corbyn has said that was sensible was that he would not guarantee to go to war with Russia if Russia did invade a Baltic state. Us leaving or staying in the EU is completely irrelevant to this issue.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    Monty said:

On topic:
    Corbyn is a dangerous idiot who has already shown a willingness to toady to Iran and Russia whilst hand wringing about the USA and NATO.
    He is unfit to be Prime Minister.
    He is unfit to be Labour Leader.
    I will be voting for Smith with the full realisation that Corbyn is going to romp home.
    I'm coming to the conclusion that the best thing that can happen to Labour is an early election where we get obliterated electorally.
    Then we can regroup and decide what Labour in 21st century actually means.
    Oh, and adopt PR as a policy.

I can see much in the idea of a wipeout allowing Labour to regroup - but the unknown element is who would be left to do the regrouping...

Momentum won't disappear because of a major defeat - and will use their millions to continue to push their agenda. There will still be a major disconnect between the PLP and the membership.

I don't see a way out of this unless a new leadership has the balls to purge Momentum and their fellow travellers and to rebuild from the centre left. And is there a leader who can command that sort of authority? Given the 'big beasts' were beaten by Corbyn - they are not going to carry the party through a purge. Who else is there?
  • Options

Thrak said:

Mr. Urquhart, stadia*.

The crowd behaved appallingly during the event, and the athlete then made these comments, so they then booed him during the medal presentation.
    ah.

no one is a winner there.
  • Options
    I'm bored of triathlon and gone over to diving - that's bound to help neither TeamGB contender...
This discussion has been closed.