Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Mr. Corbyn is fortunate that LAB’s selectorate doesn’t appe

Comments

• Options
    I don't think the British girls are going to get a medal in the triathlon.
  • Options
    BannedInParisBannedInParis Posts: 2,191

The Pollyannaish British diving commentators remind me of the cycling "experts" during the London road race who assured us that the British team were controlling the race from the back.

While I'm not sure how you'd sort it, that was one of at least three occasions where GB have tuned up to a world-level one day race and got their tactics painfully wrong.

Florence 2013 - 12 fairly big hills, team set up to deliver Cavendish for a sprint :neutral:
    What tactics? When Cummings put the hammer down, Thomas and Froome were taking a whizz in the bushes and swapping bikes over.
    They tried to run the race in a Team Sky manner without the depth. Plus, with two guys in the TT, they were never going to go into the red to get a team mate over the line. I know they rejected it, but having someone prepared to try to join the break might have been worth considering.

Florence - Cavendish was a waste of a spot for that course.

FWIW, Doha is at flat but windy/technical.

(Might have got tactics and strategy mixed up, not bothered if I have tbh. )
    TBH, I think Froome and Thomas were buggered for the road race. Froome broke going up the steep hill, in a way you never imagine happening in the Tour de France a couple of weeks before. However, they didn't ride as a team.
    This year? I agree. It was three decent individual attempts.

What I'd referred to in my first reply was previous events when they had planned it as a team and found that planning lacking.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Moses_ said:

PlatoSaid said:

Moses_ said:

PlatoSaid said:

Moses_ said:

Moses_ said:

In regard to the men's kayak gold medal would someone be able clarify if this is considered a posh or a moderately working class sport on the widely acclaimed Tyson scale of sporting achievement?

Eskimos are a minority, so should pass any Guardianista test.
    Well now you come to mention it.....

Innuit ear pulling olympics :wink:

ttp://youtu.be/onyHnECA5k8
    Are we allowed to say Eskimo anymore? I thought Innuit was the PC term. Nose-kissing and igloos will always be Eskimo to me.
    No not really apparently as Google tells me......

"Although the name "Eskimo" is commonly used in Alaska to refer to all Inuit and Yupik people of the world, this name is considered derogatory in many other places because it was given by non-Inuit people and was said to mean "eater of raw meat"

It can be applied to all of the Eskimo peoples in Canada and Greenland, that is not true in Alaska and Siberia. In Alaska the term 'Eskimo' is commonly used, because it includes both Yupik and Iñupiat.
    I'd have thought *eater of raw meat* was entirely accurate myself. I always fancied a propah Eskimo coat as a kid. I did have a real Afghan - it was my pride and joy, just beautiful - and smelly when wet. A friend had a stuffed yak brought back by her parents... I coverted it.
    Well the raw meat bit is fairly correct.

I used to work in Iceland and also regularly in Greenland at a place called ilulissat. One of the specialities in Iceland is raw whale meat and smoked puffin. You have to be rather brave to be honest. There were also a few culinary items in Greenland that I felt I had to poke first just to ensure it was dead. On one occasion even then I still wasn't certain.
    Smoked puffin sounds like it would be an acquired taste.
    It's actually rather nice, although I prefer ptarmigarn myself
  • Options
    MontyMonty Posts: 346

Monty said:

On topic:
    Corbyn is a dangerous idiot who has already shown a willingness to toady to Iran and Russia whilst hand wringing about the USA and NATO.
    He is unfit to be Prime Minister.
    He is unfit to be Labour Leader.
    I will be voting for Smith with the full realisation that Corbyn is going to romp home.
    I'm coming to the conclusion that the best thing that can happen to Labour is an early election where we get obliterated electorally.
    Then we can regroup and decide what Labour in 21st century actually means.
    Oh, and adopt PR as a policy.

I can see much in the idea of a wipeout allowing Labour to regroup - but the unknown element is who would be left to do the regrouping...

Momentum won't disappear because of a major defeat - and will use their millions to continue to push their agenda. There will still be a major disconnect between the PLP and the membership.

I don't see a way out of this unless a new leadership has the balls to purge Momentum and their fellow travellers and to rebuild from the centre left. And is there a leader who can command that sort of authority? Given the 'big beasts' were beaten by Corbyn - they are not going to carry the party through a purge. Who else is there?
    Once the Corbyn experiment has ended in disaster the Party will likely select a sensible candidate. If they don't and Momentum force another hard left idiot then there will be a split as there is no point in Labour continuing as the puppet of Momentum.
    One way or another something has to give. I'm resigned to the fact that it must get worse before it can get better.
    Unfortunately it leaves the country without opposition for the foreseeable future.
    Not good for anyone.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Good performance by Daley in his penultimate dive. Still in the danger zone tho. 17>15 pos.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    Monty said:

Monty said:

On topic:
    Corbyn is a dangerous idiot who has already shown a willingness to toady to Iran and Russia whilst hand wringing about the USA and NATO.
    I will be voting for Smith with the full realisation that Corbyn is going to romp home.
    I'm coming to the conclusion that the best thing that can happen to Labour is an early election where we get obliterated electorally.

I can see much in the idea of a wipeout allowing Labour to regroup - but the unknown element is who would be left to do the regrouping...

Momentum won't disappear because of a major defeat - and will use their millions to continue to push their agenda. There will still be a major disconnect between the PLP and the membership.

I don't see a way out of this unless a new leadership has the balls to purge Momentum and their fellow travellers and to rebuild from the centre left. And is there a leader who can command that sort of authority? Given the 'big beasts' were beaten by Corbyn - they are not going to carry the party through a purge. Who else is there?
    Once the Corbyn experiment has ended in disaster the Party will likely select a sensible candidate. If they don't and Momentum force another hard left idiot then there will be a split as there is no point in Labour continuing as the puppet of Momentum.
    One way or another something has to give. I'm resigned to the fact that it must get worse before it can get better.
    Unfortunately it leaves the country without opposition for the foreseeable future.
    Not good for anyone.
    I absolutely agree that the country needs an opposition. But I think a new centre left party is ultimately what is needed. The Labour brand has been trashed and it would take many political cycles to recover from that.

A new party would have the opportunity to define a new identity and that is what is needed.
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658

Aren't they currently fighting it out for bronze?
  • Options
    Ohhh...looks like the British girls have broken the Ozzie and Chilean. The Ozzie looked super strong, but seems to have blown up.
  • Options

4 x 400 men had their appealed rejected...video inconclusive....say the boxing athletic judges...

Since it's incoclusive they are guilty unless proven innocent, right?
  • Options
    alex. said:

When posted the other two girls in their group looked to be running much stronger than the British girls, but it seems they upped the pace a bit and it broke them.
  • Options
    Charles said:

4 x 400 men had their appealed rejected...video inconclusive....say the boxing athletic judges...

That does appear to be the case. Which runs contrary to natural justice.

The officials in Rio have made too many mistakes this time round for it to go unnoticed.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited August 2016
    Charles said:

Yeap that about sums it up. Nothing to do with this decision meaning the Brazilians get through to the final I am sure.
  • Options
    Charles said:

It's absolutely ridiculous given that any offence must have been 1) extremely marginal 2) not deliberate and 3) gained them noadvantage
  • Options
    AramintaMoonbeamQCAramintaMoonbeamQC Posts: 3,612
    edited August 2016

alex. said:

When posted the other two girls in their group looked to be running much stronger than the British girls, but it seems they upped the pace a bit and it broke them.
    They're in join 3rd but the 5th and 6th placed triathletes are only a few seconds behind. Its a nailbiter. Daley appears to be crawling up the places in the diving but only 1 dive left.
  • Options
    edited August 2016

alex. said:

They're in join 3rd but the 5th and 6th placed triathletes are only a few second behind. Its a nailbiter. Daley appears to be crawling up the places in the diving but only 1 dive left.
    The other two seems to be coming back to them now...The Chilean looks good to me.
  • Options
    Bianca Walkden through to the QF in the TK.
  • Options
    edited August 2016

How come we are we so good at OLK? It is originally a South Korean sport right? I also notice lots of Africans seem to be very good at it.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    edited August 2016
    Monty said:

Monty said:

On topic:

Not good for anyone.
    Is there actually any evidence that Corbyn is leading the party to disaster? To be sure some polls have showing a drop in maybe 1-2% on the voting intentions since 2015 and Corbyn's personal rating are dire, but what would that translate to in terms of seats lost? Not that many, perhaps.
  • Options

Monty said:

Monty said:

On topic:

Not good for anyone.
    I absolutely agree that the country needs an opposition. But I think a new centre left party is ultimately what is needed. The Labour brand has been trashed and it would take many political cycles to recover from that.

A new party would have the opportunity to define a new identity and that is what is needed.
    I don't disagree but FPTP prevents this. New parties are completely screwed by FPTP, just ask UKIP on 4,000,000 votes and one MP.
    And there's no way that's likely to change anytime soon.
    It's important that Labour adopts PR as policy though.
  • Options
    alex. said:

Charles said:

It's absolutely ridiculous given that any offence must have been 1) extremely marginal 2) not deliberate and 3) gained them noadvantage
    ... but got Brazil into the final

:|
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,994
    Mr. Monty, UKIP have only themselves to blame. They had the financial muscle and support to win more seats with a more focused approach. They've tried wide and shallow for umpteen General Elections and is consistently fails.
  • Options
    Monty said:

Monty said:

Monty said:

On topic:

Not good for anyone.

I don't disagree but FPTP prevents this. New parties are completely screwed by FPTP, just ask UKIP on 4,000,000 votes and one MP.
    And there's no way that's likely to change anytime soon.
    It's important that Labour adopts PR as policy though.
    No point in having a policy that you will not be in a position to implement for decades.

There is still an electorate for a left-of-centre party - those voters will need a home. Farron isn't going to lead the LDs back to strength (though there will be some local improvements)

• Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    WTF is with the argument at front of triathlon?
  • Options
    Daley - capable of getting 90 so needs 6 athletes on 442 or lower to have any real chance

currently 4, with 5 more to dive
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,994
    Mr. Paris, quite.

"The video footage shows no evidence of the British athletes doing anything wrong. Naturally, they remain disqualified."
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,758
    Charles said:

The argument, I suspect, goes like this. Judges are entrusted to make decisions according to their skill and experience. Those judgements stand unless the appellant can demonstrate why they shouldn't. They failed to demonstrate that in this case.
  • Options
    Now now ladies...
  • Options
    Amusing in the triathlon. Front two having a barney because Jorgensen is refusing to do any of the work.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Charles said:

The argument, I suspect, goes like this. Judges are entrusted to make decisions according to their skill and experience. Those judgements stand unless the appellant can demonstrate why they shouldn't. They failed to demonstrate that in this case.
    I believe there was a suggestion that all this came about because the officials made a mistake in where they placed Team GB athelete.
  • Options

Monty said:

Monty said:

On topic:

Not good for anyone.
    Is there actually any evidence that Corbyn is leading the party to disaster? To be sure some polls have showing a drop in maybe 1-2% on the voting intentions since 2015 and Corbyn's personal rating are dire, but what would that translate to in terms of seats lost? Not that many, perhaps.
    Not sure, but he'll be crucified over defence policy amongst other nutty stuff that he believes such as the Falklands and that will go down like a cup of cold sick with the WWC voters.
    Wouldn't surprise me if we lost another 50 or so seats under Corbyn mainly to the Tories.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    There is going to be a punch up here....
  • Options

How come we are we so good at OLK? It is originally a South Korean sport right? I also notice lots of Africans seem to be very good at it.
    There's a big network of local clubs etc in all the big martial arts across the UK. There's been big investment in training facilities etc for taekwondo, I assume the talent scouting is spot on.

The funding model for UK sport also rewards those sports with medal successes, so it becomes circular.
  • Options
    Daley's toast
  • Options
    edited August 2016

Daley's toast

Oh dear. To be fair, Team GB have had very few "fails". To the salt mines with him....
  • Options
    The Yanks got the Swisser beaten in the Triathlon - can GB hang on to 3rd?
  • Options
    Chance of silver in the triathlon now, i think
  • Options
    Yeah, he needs 101 on his dive to get 12th.
  • Options
    edited August 2016

No point in having a policy that you will not be in a position to implement for decades.

There is still an electorate for a left-of-centre party - those voters will need a home. Farron isn't going to lead the LDs back to strength (though there will be some local improvements)

It's important to have PR as a policy so that there is a consensus amongst the non-Conservative parties that the voting system must be changed. It will become increasingly untenable for the Conservatives to support FPTP if everyone else is against it. Currently Labour provide the fig-leaf of respectability through their support of FPTP.
  • Options
    AramintaMoonbeamQCAramintaMoonbeamQC Posts: 3,612
    edited August 2016
    Daley has had it. Back to shouting at the triathlon.
  • Options

Yeah, he needs 101 on his dive to get 12th.

he didn't even get half that ...
  • Options
    What hey...I thought Daley needs a million points or a load of people bellyflop into the pool...
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Charles said:

In these days of technology, it is incredible that there isn't proper video coverage of all key points of any sports track or field. Human error is inevitable - video evidence (whilst open to interpretation) allows for proper review.

We had this in the cycling the other night - where our own video evidence overturned inconclusive official data.

Last night saw poor decisions in both relay races - with both GB and US teams being DQ'd without there being any evidence of rule-breaking (other than the word of two individual judges)

That is not a sustainable situation. I suspect Tokyo will have full camera coverage in place to avoid any further issues.
  • Options
    alex. said:

Chance of silver in the triathlon now, i think

Back to this.

If they work together, they can catch 2nd, I think.
  • Options
    Going to get Bronze here. Vicky Holland.
  • Options
    ThrakThrak Posts: 494

FF43 said:

Charles said:

In these days of technology, it is incredible that there isn't proper video coverage of all key points of any sports track or field. Human error is inevitable - video evidence (whilst open to interpretation) allows for proper review.

We had this in the cycling the other night - where our own video evidence overturned inconclusive official data.

Last night saw poor decisions in both relay races - with both GB and US teams being DQ'd without there being any evidence of rule-breaking (other than the word of two individual judges)

That is not a sustainable situation. I suspect Tokyo will have full camera coverage in place to avoid any further issues.
    There is an overhead shot that shows both US and Jamaica accepting the baton before the line they are supposed to be in front of.

When this is reviewed they may well have to deny Bolt his triple triple.
  • Options
    or they can't.
  • Options
    Thrak said:

FF43 said:

Charles said:

There is an overhead shot that shows both US and Jamaica accepting the baton before the line they are supposed to be in front of.

When this is reviewed they may well have to deny Bolt his triple triple.
    Well they won't do that...

Not that athletics is corrupt or anything.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133

Daley's toast

The English football team of the Olympics.
  • Options
    grabcocquegrabcocque Posts: 4,234
    Daley fucked it. Poor sod, the press are gonna tear him a new arsehole.
  • Options

New season of Splash anybody?
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    Monty said:

Not sure, but he'll be crucified over defence policy amongst other nutty stuff that he believes such as the Falklands and that will go down like a cup of cold sick with the WWC voters.
    Wouldn't surprise me if we lost another 50 or so seats under Corbyn mainly to the Tories.

I wouldn't disagree with the WWC objecting some of his defence and overseas policy ideas, whether that will stop them voting Labour is more in doubt.

As an aside, Labour's views on such areas might be regarded as extreme but have a habit of becoming national policy (see Kinnock's defence plans in 1992 which have since been implemented, in spades, by Conservative Governments).

So Corbyn may be a fool, but he speaks some truths, and I think the idea that he will lead Labour to disaster, as opposed to another defeat, is over blown.
  • Options
    Liverpool beaten by Burley....
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,427

I'm sure DLB will be on hand for consolation duties.
  • Options

Daley's toast

Daley's Lucozade?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4YTB5FZeHQ
  • Options

Liverpool beaten by Burley....

Hull City for the title.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Awkward.....Two British girls share a flat....where do you put your Olympic medal?
  • Options

Its perhaps connected that 'celebrities' such as Daley and Louis Smith have done worse than Laugher and Whitlock.
  • Options
    ThrakThrak Posts: 494

A fair punishment.
  • Options
    Thrak said:

A fair punishment.
    What for him or us?
  • Options

Monty said:

I wouldn't disagree with the WWC objecting some of his defence and overseas policy ideas, whether that will stop them voting Labour is more in doubt.

As an aside, Labour's views on such areas might be regarded as extreme but have a habit of becoming national policy (see Kinnock's defence plans in 1992 which have since been implemented, in spades, by Conservative Governments).

So Corbyn may be a fool, but he speaks some truths, and I think the idea that he will lead Labour to disaster, as opposed to another defeat, is over blown.
    They may well stay at home though, and that's enough to lose in many constituencies.
  • Options
    edited August 2016

Its perhaps connected that 'celebrities' such as Daley and Louis Smith have done worse than Laugher and Whitlock.
    I don't blame them cashing in (I certainly would), but I some how doubt the Chinese do anything but go back eat, sleep, train, eat, sleep, train...
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,277

Monty said:

Monty said:

On topic:

Not good for anyone.
    What are the VI in the marginals? Not 1-2% drop I suspect. Much, much more.
  • Options

There does seem to be an element of that in some sports. The grafters who don't seek out the limelight have outperformed expectations and the 'golden boys' haven't done it.
  • Options

Awkward.....Two British girls share a flat....where do you put your Olympic medal?

I assumed they were sisters until 5 mins ago
  • Options
    edited August 2016

There does seem to be an element of that in some sports. The grafters who don't seek out the limelight have outperformed expectations and the 'golden boys' haven't done it.
    I read that Jason Kenny has no sponsorship of any note, doesn't do any corporate stuff etc, and lives on his lottery money of £65k a year. £65k a year!!! For a multiple gold medalist.
  • Options

I read that Jason Kenny has no sponsorship of any note, does do any corporate stuff etc, and lives on his lottery money of £65k a year.
    He's a self confessed miserable fart too. I see Redgrave went AWOL with grumps for several hours. Nitwit.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341

I read that Jason Kenny has no sponsorship of any note, does do any corporate stuff etc, and lives on his lottery money of £65k a year. £65k a year!!! For a multiple gold medalist.
    Presumably it's £65k tax-free?
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    PlatoSaid said:

I read that Jason Kenny has no sponsorship of any note, does do any corporate stuff etc, and lives on his lottery money of £65k a year.
    He's a self confessed miserable fart too. I see Redgrave went AWOL with grumps for several hours. Nitwit.
    The article said that Trott does have some sponsorship / corporate stuff, but still in relative terms they really do very little but eat, sleep, train, eat, sleep, train...their big Olympic blow celebration, a pizza and an early night.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    Is it just me, or is the level of BBC reporting on most issues (going mainly by its news website) at a ridiculously superficial and facile level?

This story prompted the comment. It basically tells you nothing.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-37129715
  • Options
    edited August 2016

I read that Jason Kenny has no sponsorship of any note, does do any corporate stuff etc, and lives on his lottery money of £65k a year. £65k a year!!! For a multiple gold medalist.
    Presumably it's £65k tax-free?
    That's a good question. When an athlete gets lottery funding, is it a wage or a grant? I presume unlike some, British Cycling covers a lot of medical / training costs.

But lets say absolutely best case scenario, most of the £65k is what hits his bank balance. That is a very comfortable amount of money, but is hardly big big bucks for the very best at your sport and one that you don't last much past you are 30. You aren't exactly set for life.

As I pointed out the other day, Gemili makes £250k a year on the side and he is in comparison to most of the other guys in that 200m final very poorly rewarded. De Grasse has a $10 million shoe deal.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,340
    edited August 2016
    Great decision by Theresa May to hold GB's Olympic party in Manchester and what a shame that Owen Smith says it is 'tokenism' and that HS2 should start in Manchester and HS3 should commence without delay. He really is a disaster of a politician and he makes Jeremy Corbyn look sensible. He is just a loser.
  • Options
    Chinese diver never beaten this year BBC
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    PlatoSaid said:

Only by his coach?....or is that just the Russians that assault team members? Where as in the UK you get told you have a fat arse if you are failing.
  • Options

Great decision by Theresa May to hold GB's Olympic party in Manchester and what a shame that Owen Smith says it is 'tokenism' and that HS2 should start in Manchester and HS3 should commence without delay. He really is a disaster of a politician and he makes Jeremy Corbyn look sensible. He is just a loser.

Is anyone still listening to Smith? My sources at his Oxford event indicated that there was an attempt at a standing ovation for him. 2 people stood up.

He is an embarrassment to modern politics. He only got selected because daddy pulled strings. No talent, no skill, no hope.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

Only by his coach?....or is that just the Russians that assault team members? Where as in the UK you get told you have a fat arse if you are failing.
    USA divers had trouble too - surprising perfs all round
  • Options
    I have a bad feeling that Mr Mobot won't do it later this evening. He looked knackered after the heat.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,054
    edited August 2016

The northern sections of HS2 isn't have been planned in outline, but not in detail. Someone (I think the National Infrastructure Commission) is currently trying to work out what HS3 *is*.

And it may make sense for HS3 and the northern HS2 to be planned, and constructed, together.

When I last looked into it, the northern sections of HS2 (phase 2) were a couple of years behind phase 1 to Birmingham in terms of planning and initial works.

(As an aside, an acquaintance has been working for a while on archeological study of sites that might be disturbed by phase 1. From what he said, that work hasn't started on phase 2.)

Owen Smith is a twunt.

Edit: for anyone terminally bored:
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/high-speed-north-a-national-infrastructure-commission-report
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,101
    MTimT said:

Is it just me, or is the level of BBC reporting on most issues (going mainly by its news website) at a ridiculously superficial and facile level?

Have you only just noticed? The whole of BBC news now seems to be using the editorial guidelines from John Craven's Newsround.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    MTimT said:

Certainly its reporting on the US election sinks to that level.
  • Options
    That BBC predictions of GB medals for the last three days has so far been completely wrong:

Skelton not predicted to get a medal
    Hockey predicted to get silver, got gold
    Heath predicted to get bronze, got gold
    Daley predicted to get bronze, didn't reach final
    Silver predicted in triathlon for Jenkins who finished way back, Holland got bronze
    Lutalo predicted to get bronze, got silver
    Joyce predicted to get bronze, gets gold or silver

It also predicted golds for Farah, Adams, and Walkden.

Surely at least one of those will come good.

• Options
    Wow

We nabbed half the triathlon medals.
  • Options

That BBC predictions of GB medals for the last three days has so far been completely wrong:

Skelton not predicted to get a medal
    Hockey predicted to get silver, got gold
    Heath predicted to get bronze, got gold
    Daley predicted to get bronze, didn't reach final
    Silver predicted in triathlon for Jenkins who finished way back, Holland got bronze
    Lutalo predicted to get bronze, got silver
    Joyce predicted to get bronze, gets gold or silver

It also predicted golds for Farah, Adams, and Walkden.

Surely at least one of those will come good.

Those predictions were not made by the BBC - they were just reporting what someone else had predicted. The flipside is that the predictions for the Chinese athletes appear to be more accurate - and if that continues, then 2nd place is ours as they can't overtake us.

But we shouldn't count those chickens quite yet.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    This is why I utterly loathe Labour.

Why can't these people just disappear up their own fundamental. They hate this country, they hate it's people and they absolutely hate us being in any way successful. I really hope this party destroys itself entirely. I will weep not a single tear. I welcome it.

"Labour leadership contender Owen Smith has described the decision to hold an Olympic parade in Manchester as "tokenistic"

http://news.sky.com/story/smith-manchester-olympic-parade-tokenistic-10545098

Well done Team GB one and all we will give you your victory parade you truly deserve despite the disgrace of the Labour Party.
  • Options
    Did the BBC really just refer - on the news - to Sadiq Khan as a rock star of a politician?!
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,130

MTimT said:

Have you only just noticed? The whole of BBC news now seems to be using the editorial guidelines from John Craven's Newsround.
    You'll be hearing from John Craven's lawyers.....
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,602

Is anyone still listening to Smith? My sources at his Oxford event indicated that there was an attempt at a standing ovation for him. 2 people stood up.

He is an embarrassment to modern politics. He only got selected because daddy pulled strings. No talent, no skill, no hope.
    Yes, me. He's doing fine in impossible circumstances where (to quote from Mike's excellent thread) "we appear to have an election where more than half those voting are data deniers (they don’t believe GE polls) or they have little interest in an early return to power for their party."

You will have plenty of time look to make excuses for Corbyn as he and his sectarian faction lead Labour to its worst election result in over a century,
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    PlatoSaid said:

Moses_ said:

Daley handstand dive...not quite under rotate

Commentator reckons he can still make it into final

Should I be switching over here from triathlon?
    Sorry had to step out....... Err no
    :disappointed:
  • Options
    Johnny Loony of this parish must be more devastated than when he found out Daley was engaged.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    Tim_B said:

MTimT said:

Certainly its reporting on the US election sinks to that level.
    Yeah, it is truly dreadful in that regard.
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,427
    Charles said:

Did the BBC really just refer - on the news - to Sadiq Khan as a rock star of a politician?!

Seriously?!?
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    I have to say I thought he started well but he regressed to being a Jezza tribute act. After his gormless statement on IS, I gave up.

Who would vote for the Pontypandy village idiot?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,277

Yes, me. He's doing fine in impossible circumstances where (to quote from Mike's excellent thread) "we appear to have an election where more than half those voting are data deniers (they don’t believe GE polls) or they have little interest in an early return to power for their party."

You will have plenty of time look to make excuses for Corbyn as he and his sectarian faction lead Labour to its worst election result in over a century,
    I agree it is utterly dire, but being pedantic, "worst in over a century"? That takes us back to 1916, or 1920 if GE is on target date. 1931 seems to be the date many psephologists like to refer back to. Labour went from 280-odd to 50-odd in one night.
  • Options
    Team GB
    .@HullCharley cards a great -3 R4, but she finishes -8 overall and will just miss out on the medals. #Rio2016 #Golf https://t.co/yJwRqxMM63
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

Charles said:

Seriously?!?
    Yes I think. Piece on the night tube and about 3 people cheered. Not sure if they called him a "rock star politician" or a "welcome more like that of a rock star than a politician"

Either a bit odd
  • Options
    Charles said:

I still have no idea what the infringement was even if it was inconclusive on video. What was the infringement???
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

Charles said:

I still have no idea what the infringement was even if it was inconclusive on video. What was the infringement???
    Not being Brazilian?
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    Charles said:

ToryJim said:

Charles said:

Seriously?!?
    Yes I think. Piece on the night tube and about 3 people cheered. Not sure if they called him a "rock star politician" or a "welcome more like that of a rock star than a politician"

Either a bit odd

For the night tube?

That Boris initiated?

• Options

Charles said:

ToryJim said:

Charles said:

Seriously?!?

Either a bit odd

For the night tube?

That Boris initiated?

Didn’t Boris get Ken's bikes?
  • Options
    edited August 2016

Charles said:

ToryJim said:

Charles said:

Seriously?!?

Either a bit odd

For the night tube?

That Boris initiated?

Yeah but Boris is Tory and even worse was a leading light in the Brexit campaign....
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    PlatoSaid said:

Charles said:

ToryJim said:

Charles said:

Seriously?!?

Either a bit odd

For the night tube?

That Boris initiated?

Didn’t Boris get Ken's bikes?
    He also took credit for the East London Line, a project that only went ahead due to Livingstone.
This discussion has been closed.