Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » LAB leadership round-up on the afternoon the Appeal Court s

12346»

Comments

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,528

I wonder why it is team GB can never seem to find people who are competitive in the hammer, shot, discus? We had the big lad who tried it for 2 years, got to Olympics then went off to play American football & that is about the only person we have had that was up there with the top 10 or so in the world.

What happened to Northern Ireland, anyway; don't they count any more?
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,908

I wonder why it is team GB can never seem to find people who are competitive in the hammer, shot, discus? We had the big lad who tried it for 2 years, got to Olympics then went off to play American football & that is about the only person we have had that was up there with the top 10 or so in the world.

Mens Hammer is good for GB right now at least one for final hopefully
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,079

What's that shit looking trinket that they get? One of my cyclists definitely looked at it as if what the f##ks this shit you are giving me now.

No flowers because they wouldn't survive the Rio climate apparently. http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/sports/What-in-the-World-are-the-Olympians-Holding-389906621.html
    A 3d logo of the games...oh ambassador you are really spoiling us.
    At least their logo is better than our logo was.
    I'll never understand that one - 5 minutes after the announcement of it there were dozens of far superior suggestions made, for free, on the internet. Tokyo's is a bit bland, but better than ours was I guess.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,634
    kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

nunu said:

Pulpstar said:

SeanT said:

FUCK

The Germans are just behind us in the medal table. 6 golds.

Beat us in the horse dancing :(
    that one always makes me smile :)
    Not really. It is a pitiful, pathetic spectacle, with no merit as a sport whatsoever.
    Not my cup of tea, and hardly feels like an athletic competition, but hey, a medal is a medal. Sold out stands for it in 2012.
    We could have had events with horses taking a dump in a bin in 2012 with marks bases on consistency and smell and it would have been sold out.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383

What's that shit looking trinket that they get? One of my cyclists definitely looked at it as if what the f##ks this shit you are giving me now.

No flowers because they wouldn't survive the Rio climate apparently. http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/sports/What-in-the-World-are-the-Olympians-Holding-389906621.html
    A 3d logo of the games...oh ambassador you are really spoiling us.
    At least their logo is better than our logo was.
    And the mascots. Ours looked like teletubby rip offs that'd wet themselves.
  • Options

We've got male and female hammer throwers in Rio who both won Gold at the European under 23s in 2015 - people are coming through.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820

Geoff Capes?
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133

Lawrence Okoye. He's still trying to break into the NFL, sounds like he's done with athletics. http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/209319/four-years-later-lawrence-okoye-has-gone-from-olympics-to-cowboys
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    edited August 2016
    IanB2 said:

Team GB is a brand. It represents GB & NI, the Crown Dependencies and British Overseas Territories with no Olympic Association. Otherwise known as a bit of a gobfull.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Sure, but it is the British Olympic Association its the brand name for, and including NI makes it unpronounceable or lengthy. It's team... Gibney? GeeBeeEnnEye?

Sorry NI.
  • Options

Lawrence Okoye. He's still trying to break into the NFL, sounds like he's done with athletics. http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/209319/four-years-later-lawrence-okoye-has-gone-from-olympics-to-cowboys
    He isn't going to make it in nfl, but yes is well done with athletics...and he was world class at it in no time.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

nunu said:

Pulpstar said:

SeanT said:

FUCK

Not really. It is a pitiful, pathetic spectacle, with no merit as a sport whatsoever.
    Not my cup of tea, and hardly feels like an athletic competition, but hey, a medal is a medal. Sold out stands for it in 2012.
    We could have had events with horses taking a dump in a bin in 2012 with marks bases on consistency and smell and it would have been sold out.
    Sounds like we missed out on a medal there then.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,010
    Chinese gambling in the weightlifting !

• Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    edited August 2016

He isn't going to make it in nfl, but yes is well done with athletics...and he was world class at it in no time.
    Okoye is still "in" the NFL but he's never actually played a match - just drifted from practice squad to practice squad.

The Arizona Cardinals cut him because he once parked his car in the coach's spot!

On that basis alone, Okoye should consider running for the Labour leadership.
  • Options

Okoye is still "in" the NFL but he's never actually played a match - just drifted from practice squad to practice squad.

The Arizona Cardinals cut him because he once parked his car in the coach's spot!

That's what I mean. He isn't going to become an nfl regular. 5 years of practice squads is a clear sign you ain't going to break through, but I seemed to remember at the 49ers his practice squad deal was insane...put it this way he is a millionaire.& made more than he would at discus.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,375
    A few on here will be thrilled by the prospect of a Pirate Government in Iceland:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/aug/12/polls-suggests-icelands-pirate-party-form-next-government
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,060
    John_M said:

IanB2 said:

Team GB is a brand. It represents GB & NI, the Crown Dependencies and British Overseas Territories with no Olympic Association. Otherwise known as a bit of a gobfull.
    The United Kingdom's position is that Team GB represents the GB, NI and the Crown Dependencies. However, it recognises that some people in those physical areas may have Irish citizenship and wish to compete for the Republic of Ireland instead

The republic of Ireland's position is that the Irish team represents the whole of the island of Ireland, north and south. However, it recognises that some people in those physical areas may have British citizenship and wish to compete for the United Kingdom instead.

Provided nobody examines these positions too closely, everybody remains happy.

[As I have frequently observed, PB has a blind spot regarding Northern Ireland and has no institutional memory. We had this discussion in 2012 and will have it again in 2020. Basically, it's a Twilight Zone episode... :( ]
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,528
    viewcode said:

John_M said:

IanB2 said:

The United Kingdom's position is that Team GB represents the GB, NI and the Crown Dependencies. However, it recognises that some people in those physical areas may have Irish citizenship and wish to compete for the Republic of Ireland instead

The republic of Ireland's position is that the Irish team represents the whole of the island of Ireland, north and south. However, it recognises that some people in those physical areas may have British citizenship and wish to compete for the United Kingdom instead.

Provided nobody examines these positions too closely, everybody remains happy.

[As I have frequently observed, PB has a blind spot regarding Northern Ireland and has no institutional memory. We had this discussion in 2012 and will have it again in 2020. Basically, it's a Twilight Zone episode... :( ]
    I daresay many foreigners don't know what to make of it all, notwithstanding.
  • Options

A few on here will be thrilled by the prospect of a Pirate Government in Iceland:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/aug/12/polls-suggests-icelands-pirate-party-form-next-government

Aaaaarrrrrrghh! :)
  • Options
    Sean T must be disappointed we suddenly won so many medals today :)
  • Options
    John_M said:

IanB2 said:

Same thing with being British, rather than "United Kingdom-ish". Or American, rather than "United States-ian".
  • Options
    DromedaryDromedary Posts: 1,194
    edited August 2016
    MaxPB said:

Dromedary said:

Ladbrokes have cut the odds of Trump being replaced as Republican candidate from 6\1 to 5\1.

Free money for Shadsy!
    Indeed - all he need do is take 9.8% of the stakes he receives at 5\1 and use them to back Ryan, Pence, Kasich, Cruz, Rubio and Bush at a combined price of about 60\1 at Betfair, and he'll get an overround of 920%. Damned bookies!
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,634
    SeanT said:

kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

nunu said:

Pulpstar said:

SeanT said:

FUCK

This is dreadful and embarrassing now. Evening athletics and the stadium barely half full. Most arenas are barely a quarter full. The presenters are squirming.

Rio is a fuck up. A total total fuck up. And a very major step back for the Olympics after the exuberant triumph of London.

None of the explanations make total sense. Sure Brazil is poor, developing, chaotic, but this is Rio - a big powerful city in the world's eighth largest economy. It feels like the people are staying away as an act of protest. Or they are just a bunch of ignorant peons who only like football, and only when they are winning.

Either way, roll on Tokyo. This is shite.
    I've begun to get the feeling that the leftoid press are going to begin ramping the games as a huge success despite its obvious failures and it being a huge waste of money for Brazil. Why? Brazil is a multi-cultural nation and therefore everything they do must be great and better than anything held in a mono-culture society like Britain (or Japan). I'm certain by the end of the games the Guardian will have opinion pieces and leaders callinf Rio the best games ever and an example to all that will come next.
  • Options
    edited August 2016

Some "pirates"! They want to turn polling stations into "Pokéstops" with the assistance of a company, partly owned by an Icelander, that helps design the Pokémon Go environment in Iceland. In the minds of some naive youngsters, "piracy" is meant to be against intellectual property rather than a marketing ploy by the owners of intellectual property. This reminds me a bit of when the guy dressed as the local football team's mascot, a monkey, got elected mayor of Hartlepool. Fun, sure, but radical - no.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

nunu said:

Pulpstar said:

SeanT said:

FUCK

This is dreadful and embarrassing now. Evening athletics and the stadium barely half full. Most arenas are barely a quarter full. The presenters are squirming.

Rio is a fuck up. A total total fuck up. And a very major step back for the Olympics after the exuberant triumph of London.

None of the explanations make total sense. Sure Brazil is poor, developing, chaotic, but this is Rio - a big powerful city in the world's eighth largest economy. It feels like the people are staying away as an act of protest. Or they are just a bunch of ignorant peons who only like football, and only when they are winning.

I've begun to get the feeling that the leftoid press are going to begin ramping the games as a huge success despite its obvious failures and it being a huge waste of money for Brazil. Why? Brazil is a multi-cultural nation and therefore everything they do must be great and better than anything held in a mono-culture society like Britain (or Japan). I'm certain by the end of the games the Guardian will have opinion pieces and leaders callinf Rio the best games ever and an example to all that will come next.
    One day all pools will be green ...
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    edited August 2016

That's what I mean. He isn't going to become an nfl regular. 5 years of practice squads is a clear sign you ain't going to break through, but I seemed to remember at the 49ers his practice squad deal was insane...put it this way he is a millionaire.& made more than he would at discus.
    Wasn't disagreeing with you at all - just thought you missed a chance to pop in the "sacked for parking in the coach's spot" anecdote :-)

Wonder whether there is any chance, post-NFL, of having a second bash at the athletics. There are some older athletes in the throwing events.
  • Options

John_M said:

Many babies will be made tonight. That is all.

I think Bradley is probably a bit knackered for all that ;-)
    Wradley Biggins :)
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,060
    IanB2 said:

I daresay many foreigners don't know what to make of it all, notwithstanding.

Indeed.

• Options
    SeanT said:

Jesus. This feels like a rehearsal, or a warm up, before they actually open the gates.

Instead it is the 2nd day of the evening athletics at the Olympic Games.

Fuck Brazil. Don't care about their excuses. This is dire.

Sounds just like the Millennium Dome.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Weightlifting is great.

Chinese guy has missed 210 kg twice. So they've stuck the bar up to 217 for him on his final lift !

And he's done it !
  • Options
    KJT no throw
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,211

KJT no throw

How do you view JEH - a proud Sheffield girl or a horrible Blade?
  • Options
    JEH 13.34 2ND RND
  • Options
    Ethiopia looking great in the distance events ;)
  • Options
    SeanT said:
    They might show up for Usain Bolt , and that will be IT.
  • Options
    KJT 11.68 in 2nd rnd
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

KJT no throw

Proud Sheffield girl who disowned Blades over Ched
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,189
    SeanT said:

Jesus. This feels like a rehearsal, or a warm up, before they actually open the gates.

Instead it is the 2nd day of the evening athletics at the Olympic Games.

Fuck Brazil. Don't care about their excuses. This is dire.

I think I have seen bigger, more enthusiastic crowds at a Crystal Palace Athletics Grand Prix than in the Olympic Stadium this evening, hopefully it will get better over the weekend and next week, we shall see. Goodnight
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,211

tlg86 said:

KJT no throw

But he's innocent (for the time being) and scoring for the Spireites???
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Pulpstar said:

SeanT said:
    It's unbelievably shit. Rio was a disastrous choice.

The worst thing is that the lack of atmos will affect the TV figures and global reception, which feeds back to the athletes, which turns off the local public, who give up entirely: creating a horrible negative feedback.

Right now Rio looks like it might be the worst Olympics since Atlanta. At least.

Let's hope that there is some dramatic and unexpected transformation.
    Atlanta was commercialised beyond all belief but it wasn't that bad ...
  • Options

KJT 11.68 in 2nd rnd

Doesn't exactly look like she's built for the shot..
  • Options
    Final attempt from JEH 13.86 pretty good 785 pts
  • Options
    I hear one of the 400 metre runners has tried his hand at the shooting this year.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

KJT no throw

But he's innocent (for the time being) and scoring for the Spireites???
    True but Dave Allen says he is selling him in January at a profit if innocent
  • Options
    GB Table Tennis 1-1 and ahead in doubles
  • Options
    THIAM 14.91 855 takes lead after 3 events
  • Options
    KJT only 640 pts from SP
  • Options
    SeanT said:

kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

nunu said:

Pulpstar said:

SeanT said:

FUCK

We are now third in the medals table! THIRD!

A few days ago we were a lowly 10th - TENTH!
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,018

SeanT said:

kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

nunu said:

Pulpstar said:

SeanT said:

FUCK

A gain of SEVEN!

Yes!
  • Options
    SeanT said:

It's kinda shameful. The Brazilians need to sort it out super super quick or their games will go down in history as the most misjudged since 1936. That's where they are.

Hah!

Don't take this the wrong way, but it's always fun trying to guess if you've had a wee sip... he says looking at his Friday night bottle of wine.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,375
    SeanT said:

According to people in the stadium it is actually 10-15% full.

15% full, at most. For the first evening of track and field at the Olympic Games.

It's kinda shameful. The Brazilians need to sort it out super super quick or their games will go down in history as the most misjudged since 1936. That's where they are.

It's too embarrassing to watch!

Let's hope they find an answer, or a hitherto unknown population which actually cares about sport.

Why *should* they? - are you suggesting that an interest in athletics should be mandatory? Loads of people here too have only a fleeting interest in a couple of events plus a vague hope that Britain will get lotsa medals.

Brazil offered to put the show on, and despite all the dire predictions it seems to be going faultlessly. They didn't and couldn't offer to guarantee capacity crowds. I can see it's awkward financially, but that's not the fault of Brazilians generally, who are presumably doing whatever does interest them, just like you and me.
  • Options

SeanT said:

15% full, at most. For the first evening of track and field at the Olympic Games.

Let's hope they find an answer, or a hitherto unknown population which actually cares about sport.

Why *should* they? - are you suggesting that an interest in athletics should be mandatory? Loads of people here too have only a fleeting interest in a couple of events plus a vague hope that Britain will get lotsa medals.

Brazil offered to put the show on, and despite all the dire predictions it seems to be going faultlessly. They didn't and couldn't offer to guarantee capacity crowds. I can see it's awkward financially, but that's not the fault of Brazilians generally, who are presumably doing whatever does interest them, just like you and me.
    I think even we stuffed the crows with school children/off duty military. Just looks better for the cameras, and who doesn't love a bit of enforced fun!
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

nunu said:

Pulpstar said:

SeanT said:

FUCK

Who cares? We're THIRD in the medals table, FFS.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,175
    Indications that Carly Fiorina is planning a bid to become chair of the RNC.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016/08/12/carlys-comeback-fiorina-reportedly-eyeing-run-for-rnc-chair.html
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

SeanT said:

kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

nunu said:

Pulpstar said:

SeanT said:

FUCK

Lol. Nice SeanT impression there.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    I didn't think we were so good at swimming. Another silver. Although the winner won by 12 seconds ffs.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    edited August 2016
    nunu said:

I didn't think we were so good at swimming. Another silver. Although the winner won by 12 seconds ffs.

Between Phelps and Ledecki, Maryland would be sitting third in the medals table if it were its own country.

Go Baltimore!
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    edited August 2016

SeanT said:

Pulpstar said:

SeanT said:

The worst thing is that the lack of atmos will affect the TV figures and global reception, which feeds back to the athletes, which turns off the local public, who give up entirely: creating a horrible negative feedback.

Right now Rio looks like it might be the worst Olympics since Atlanta. At least.

Atlanta was very badly organised iirc -- lots of complaints about scheduling and logistics -- as if the organisers had not spoken to the California people who'd recently given us probably the best Olympics to date.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

SeanT said:

Pulpstar said:

SeanT said:

Atlanta was dire.
This discussion has been closed.