Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » LAB leadership round-up on the afternoon the Appeal Court s

Comments

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,187
    John_M said:

HYUFD said:

John_M said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

kle4 said:

SeanT said:

PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:

Pulpstar said:

PlatoSaid said:

My what a gorgeous gg ridden by Fiona Bigwood.

For anyone interested, this is an interesting piece on Viking horses and their unusual style

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/08/08/the-prized-ambling-gait-originated-in-york-as-study-traces-gene/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

They should change the dressage scoring system a bit tbh, monstrously loud aids by the germans compared to Carl Hester say.
    Can't get over all the empty seats - so disappointing.
    Watching now – virtually empty, even the seats designated for the press is less than half full.

What a difference from Greenwich Hospital and the superb view across the Thames to Canary.
    htps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urMEKrFW9Ic
    That's incredible. The difference
    I'd forgotten there were jam packed stands. For the horse dancing.
    I was in that crowd! It's the only thing I got tickets for, apart from one women's football event - (France versus Japan at Wembley, also sold out and also brilliant atmosphere)

I think Rio has largely organised it well and the venues look fine. Brazil is not a rich country and had a 4% decline in GDP this year, and that is the fundamental problem. The Brazil World Cup in 2014 was one of the best ever, but that was a single sport.

I can see the need for it to move around the world, but Olympic bids are very expensive and usually leave behind a poisonous financial legacy. We should not expect ever increasing shows if we want anyone other than G7 countries hosting.

I cannot see Britain hosting another for a few decades, but if a quick alternative for a 2018 or 2022 World Cup was needed then we could easily step into the breach.
    Brazil is the 8th largest economy in the world
    It used to be sixth and has been in recession since 2014.
    Maybe but given there are 195 countries in the world, 8th out of 195 makes it a pretty rich country to me, even if rather closer to average on gdp per capita terms
    It's the usual problem with headline stats. GDP per capita is back at 2010 levels in a country with ~9% inflation. A lot of of very poor folk in Brazil.
    Though as SeanT points out China produced an excellent games with a much lower gdp per capita than Brazil
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,052
    Incomes in Brazil aren't as high as in London but the ticket prices are similar.

What am I saying - let us get SeanT about it. London in 2012 was almost at the peak of its 30-year frothy bubble which burst in June. It was and is chocked full of the global top 1% and 0.1% who burn money on a weekly basis on things like secret cinemas, Harrods and cereal cafés, and 2012 was in retrospect part of a blessedly optimistic era - it didn't seem so at the time - before Charlie Hebdo, the Bataclan, MH17, baby-deformity-conferring mosquitoes, or the undeniability of pervasive corruption in sport - only the threat of riots to keep people away.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,123
    nunu said:

why are we so good at cycling I would've thought the Dutch and other Europeans would be better.

Sky ;)

Though some success in track cycling started well before them, they've turned some success on the track into ?4? Tour de France titles.

I wonder how much could be put down to Boardman and Obree (who rode some of the time on a bike he made himself, I think including parts from a washing machine).
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    HYUFD said:

John_M said:

HYUFD said:

John_M said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

kle4 said:

SeanT said:

PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:

Pulpstar said:

PlatoSaid said:

For anyone interested, this is an interesting piece on Viking horses and their unusual style

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/08/08/the-prized-ambling-gait-originated-in-york-as-study-traces-gene/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

They should change the dressage scoring system a bit tbh, monstrously loud aids by the germans compared to Carl Hester say.
    Watching now – virtually empty, even the seats designated for the press is less than half full.

What a difference from Greenwich Hospital and the superb view across the Thames to Canary.
    I was in that crowd! It's the only thing I got tickets for, apart from one women's football event - (France versus Japan at Wembley, also sold out and also brilliant atmosphere)

I think Rio has largely organised it well and the venues look fine. Brazil is not a rich country and had a 4% decline in GDP this year, and that is the fundamental problem. The Brazil World Cup in 2014 was one of the best ever, but that was a single sport.

I cannot see Britain hosting another for a few decades, but if a quick alternative for a 2018 or 2022 World Cup was needed then we could easily step into the breach.
    Maybe but given there are 195 countries in the world, 8th out of 195 makes it a pretty rich country to me, even if rather closer to average on gdp per capita terms
    It's the usual problem with headline stats. GDP per capita is back at 2010 levels in a country with ~9% inflation. A lot of of very poor folk in Brazil.
    Though as SeanT points out China produced an excellent games with a much lower gdp per capita than Brazil
    Fair point. I'm only arguing for the sake of it. I would imagine the Chinese authorities could more easily say "Full attendance please, or some of you will be goat herding in Xinjiang for the next eleventy billion years".
  • Options
    SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

John_M said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

kle4 said:

SeanT said:

PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:

Pulpstar said:

PlatoSaid said:

r

They should.

I was in that crowd! It's the only thing I got tickets for, apart from one women's football event - (France versus Japan at Wembley, also sold out
    I sa.

I cannot see Britain hosting ano
    Maybe but g
    Brazil is a developing country, but its GDP per capita is TWICE that of China's. TWICE. And the Brazilian economy is large, as you say.

They should be able to organise a decent Games and, given their huge population, they should be able to guarantee packed stadia

This is embarrassing. It just goes to show what an achievement Beijing was for a poor nation (in per capita terms) and what an achievement London was (in terms of attendance, enthusiasm, ambience - and legacy)

Indeed, after two outstanding games we were due a poor one though I think Brazil has been unlucky in that it
    One thing that has struck me is the sheer beauty of Rio. I had no idea it was such a stunning topography. All those islands.

Rio is basically one of the two world cities I've never seen, along with Beijing. I am now determined to see it.
    Yes the best bit of the opening ceremony was the mock flight by the actor playing Santos Dumont over Rio, by the statue of Christ the Redeemer and towards the beaches and islands, spectacular!
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    the Chinese lapped lol.
  • Options
    nunu said:

the Chinese lapped lol.

I don't know why but the old verve song the drugs don't work comes to mind.....
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,051
    edited August 2016
    PlatoSaid said:

SeanT said:

On the other hand, one more gold and we leapfrog Japan into THIRD

Which is pretty bloody incredible for a nation of just 65m people

Looking like a silver in a sailing event - just waiting confirmation
    I'm hoping we capsize. There is nothing more depressing than watching rich English public school Tories winning sailing, riding, and rowing medals at the Olympic games. Fantastic to see Fiji demolish our public school boy Tory 7's.

Come on Wiggins, Athletics, Murray and most of all Boxing GB. Some medals are worth loads more than others.
  • Options
    tyson said:

PlatoSaid said:

SeanT said:

I'm hoping we capsize. There is nothing more depressing than watching rich English public school Tories winning sailing, riding, and rowing medals at the Olympic games. Fantastic to see Fiji demolish our public school boy Tory 7's.

Come on Wiggins, Athletics, Murray and most of all Boxing GB. Some medals are worth loads more than others.
    Show me on this dolly where the nasty Tory touched you.
  • Options
    John_M said:

HYUFD said:

John_M said:

HYUFD said:

John_M said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

kle4 said:

SeanT said:

PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:

Pulpstar said:

PlatoSaid said:

Fair point. I'm only arguing for the sake of it. I would imagine the Chinese authorities could more easily say "Full attendance please, or some of you will be goat herding in Xinjiang for the next eleventy billion years".
    I think I remember some suspicion of some of the spectators- as they were wearing the same uniform caps or something.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,079
    SeanT said:

Pulpstar said:

Rio's big problem is that it isn't really that safe a city, is miles from anywhere and Brazilians couldn't really give a hoot about anything that their own aren't in.

And outside of football, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazil_at_the_Olympics that ain't all that much.

From what I've read this evening, the Rio crowds have apparently been shocking - when they HAVE turned up. Booing and abusive, and shouting "Zika!" at women they don't like. Nice.

It's South Africa with the bloody World Cup and the vuvuzelas all over again.

Not at all, apparently more than usual booing is just a part of unique atmosphere. Don't forget there are six types of booing, including booing for fun

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-37026844

Re reading the article I feel the opening was written by someone other than the main bits, since it opens stating that the level of noise from booing has been higher than other Games, then tries to excuse it later by saying its nothing new, despite the premise of the article being the amount of it (if not the existence of it) is in fact new.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Do cyclists need to drop out of the team pursuit? The Denmark riders were all over the place at the end and not in a line. Does this matter?
  • Options
    nunu said:

why are we so good at cycling I would've thought the Dutch and other Europeans would be better.

Because we view cycling primarily as a sport, whereas they view it primarily as a means for getting from A to B? That's certainly the case in Germany - see all the bikes parked outside train stations.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,007
    tyson said:

PlatoSaid said:

SeanT said:

The Tory sevens xD
  • Options
    tyson said:

PlatoSaid said:

SeanT said:

Are Athletics medals won by public school Tories still worth winning though?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    John_M said:

SeanT said:

Anyone in sunny London right now will know this is true. The city is chocka, fit to bursting, with foreign tourists. Never known it so packed.

"Number of foreign visitors to Britain jumps 18% in the month after the Brexit vote"

"Luxury hotels are also reporting an uptick in visitor numbers: Claridge’s and The Connaught say they had “the best ever July on record""

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/4186fb3c-5efa-11e6-bb77-a121aa8abd95.html#axzz4H8tay0I6

I love the analyst's comments though. It is but a foreshadowing of the doom ahead. On investment plans:

“The main concerns they have are about maintaining the arrangements that facilitate travel — open skies, soft checks for visas, EU drivers licence, health cards, consumer rights protection — many of which may cease to exist once Brexit is complete.”
    I can honestly say I have never considered consumer rights protection before selecting a holiday destination!
  • Options
    I see Hammond is pledging to match EU cash for farmers, scientists etc until 2020. Might reduce the bleating for a while.
  • Options
    tyson said:

PlatoSaid said:

SeanT said:

Not all showjumpers are wealthy, the ES had piece this week about one whose father was a builder and mother a secretary on the Isle of Wight. Of course most sailors, riders and rowers cannot hope to get anywhere near the $5 million a year Andy Murray makes
  • Options
    John_M said:

HYUFD said:

John_M said:

HYUFD said:

John_M said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

kle4 said:

SeanT said:

PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:

Pulpstar said:

PlatoSaid said:

Indeed, China's government does at least know how to organise, unlike the present chaotic leaders in charge of Brazil
  • Options
    And another WR in team pursuit
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    PlatoSaid said:

Do cyclists need to drop out of the team pursuit? The Denmark riders were all over the place at the end and not in a line. Does this matter?

The time is taken off the third to cross the line so if one is struggling near the end he can drop out.
  • Options
    Another world record :D
  • Options
    tyson said:

Peak Tyson ;) ?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,300
    edited August 2016
    I hope they haven't overcooked it in the team penny-farthing. Biggest concern is Wiggins is the weak link.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

The time is taken off the third to cross the line so if one is struggling near the end he can drop out.
    Ah! Got it now
  • Options
    Charles said:

John_M said:

SeanT said:

Anyone in sunny London right now will know this is true. The city is chocka, fit to bursting, with foreign tourists. Never known it so packed.

"Number of foreign visitors to Britain jumps 18% in the month after the Brexit vote"

"Luxury hotels are also reporting an uptick in visitor numbers: Claridge’s and The Connaught say they had “the best ever July on record""

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/4186fb3c-5efa-11e6-bb77-a121aa8abd95.html#axzz4H8tay0I6

I love the analyst's comments though. It is but a foreshadowing of the doom ahead. On investment plans:

“The main concerns they have are about maintaining the arrangements that facilitate travel — open skies, soft checks for visas, EU drivers licence, health cards, consumer rights protection — many of which may cease to exist once Brexit is complete.”
    I can honestly say I have never considered consumer rights protection before selecting a holiday destination!
    You may not have, but it might be a consideration for someone who has been saving for ages for a holiday to e.g. Greece as to whether they have a chance of a refund it turns out to be crap!
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    nunu said:

Great training, attention to detail and excellent talent identification.
  • Options
    Charles said:

John_M said:

SeanT said:

The thing that bothers me is how lazy these concerns are. A US visitor can drive on a US license for up to a year, and that applies to the majority of countries (per the gov.uk website). We have visa free/voa/vol agreements with 175 countries. The idea that we're going to abolish consumer rights on Brexit is just fucking stupid. The only reason open skies would be an issue is if the EU decides to make it an issue.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    kle4 said:

tyson said:

PlatoSaid said:

SeanT said:

How about Oscars?
  • Options
    Charles said:

kle4 said:

tyson said:

PlatoSaid said:

SeanT said:

How about Oscars?
    That depends if they deride their Etonian upbringing or not.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,051
    edited August 2016
    HYUFD said:

tyson said:

PlatoSaid said:

SeanT said:

Not all showjumpers are wealthy, the ES had piece this week about one whose father was a builder and mother a secretary on the Isle of Wight. Of course most sailors, riders and rowers cannot hope to get anywhere near the $5 million a year Andy Murray makes

There's one thing worse than the blue blooded Tory horse and hound (add rowing, sailing and rugger) brigade. And that is the sad fuckers who aspire to their lifestyle.

Come on Wiggins, Trott, and Murray, Jessica, Farah. Peaty and our boxers.
  • Options
    John_M said:

tyson said:

PlatoSaid said:

SeanT said:

Show me on this dolly where the nasty Tory touched you.
    Labour are the nasty party now.
  • Options

Charles said:

John_M said:

SeanT said:

You may not have, but it might be a consideration for someone who has been saving for ages for a holiday to e.g. Greece as to whether they have a chance of a refund it turns out to be crap!
    ATOL protected should work

(Although if it's just crap then it's caveat emptor)
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Brexit, sunshine, Labour meltdown, and TORY TEAM GB SUPREME.

A fine summer indeed.

The summer of 1913 all over again.
  • Options
    tyson said:

HYUFD said:

tyson said:

PlatoSaid said:

SeanT said:

There's one thing worse than the blue blooded Tory horse and hound (add rowing, saying and rugger) brigade. And that is the sad fuckers who aspire to their lifestyle.

I've always thought professional cyclists seemed pretty posh, with all that specialist equipment and fancy velodromes, seems like the sort of sport only rich people get into. Running, Jumping, feats of strength, that's proper sport. Also Cricket (I give it a pass on the poshness because unlike cycling I enjoy it).
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

John_M said:

SeanT said:

Ultimately we seem to manage to host the other 168 countries' visitors. I'm sure we'll struggle through the challenges of adding 27 more to the list.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    tyson said:

PlatoSaid said:

SeanT said:

You really are just a bitter twisted excuse for a human

Why don't you just do one.
  • Options
    corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549
    PlatoSaid said:

The time gets taken from the third rider to cross the line. So for efficiency it's best to have on rider absolutely give their all and then peel off before the end.

Denmark screwed up by breaking the line, cycling in someone's slipstream is much less effort for the same speed.
  • Options
    John_M said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

John_M said:

SeanT said:

Ultimately we seem to manage to host the other 168 countries' visitors. I'm sure we'll struggle through the challenges of adding 27 more to the list.
    If course we will.
  • Options
    Paul Kirkby

World resized by how much money countries receive from international tourism
    @howmuch_net https://t.co/1y0lBGj9pK https://t.co/194LeLbql7
  • Options
    SeanT said:

tyson said:

PlatoSaid said:

SeanT said:

Heh
    sometimes I feel sorry for the Labour party then when I read post's like that I remember how tribal and nasty the left is - and I think bring on two decades of tory rule. Hahahahah.
  • Options
    God just seen the pictures of the lasses doing the high jump in the hepthaton...I've seen more people at my local village fete!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

John_M said:

HYUFD said:

Indeed, China's government does at least know how to organise, unlike the present chaotic leaders in charge of Brazil
    Democracies are rubbish at making big things happen because the mob demands that money be spent on mitigating human suffering rather than concrete for foreigners to admire. I would guess that in Brazil, people do not do the will of the government, if the government merely asks them to do so. No-one had to be told to go to the Olympics in London either, but London is one of the most massively wealthy cities in the world full of unburdened young professionals looking for conspicuous experiential consumption.
  • Options
    corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549
    Pulpstar said:

tyson said:

PlatoSaid said:

SeanT said:

The Tory sevens xD
    On a point of fact I think the 7s wasn't that public school dominated (in relative terms).
  • Options
    I'd forgotten UKIP were still tearing chunks off each other. In Wales too.

A UKIP colleague of Nathan Gill has criticised the party's Welsh leader's record of participation in the Senedd.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-37046408
  • Options
    China vs Russia in the womens spirit final...who has the better drugs?
  • Options
    corporeal said:

Pulpstar said:

tyson said:

PlatoSaid said:

SeanT said:

The Tory sevens xD
    On a point of fact I think the 7s wasn't that public school dominated (in relative terms).
    Tory wannabes in that case.
  • Options
    tyson said:

HYUFD said:

tyson said:

PlatoSaid said:

SeanT said:

There's one thing worse than the blue blooded Tory horse and hound (add rowing, sailing and rugger) brigade. And that is the sad fuckers who aspire to their lifestyle.

So if Corbyn ever becomes PM (god help us) does that mean when he has the reception for Olympic winners they would have to have passed the toffometer first? Will anyone who looks remotely Tory and upper middle class or went to a public school be refused entry as their gold medals don't count as they were won on the backs of the proletariat?
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    Does Britain doing well in the Olympics equate to the correctness of Brexit?
  • Options
    I would guess from the Brazilian national anthem that they don't give a f*ck about what other countries think of them: "... Brazil, a dream sublime, vivid ray of love and hope to earth descends, Where in your clear, pure, beauteous skies"... etc etc
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,634
    tyson said:

PlatoSaid said:

SeanT said:

See you next Tuesday.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    Toms said:

We did well in London 2012 - the heart of Bremainistan.
  • Options
    Toms said:

It's tangential. However, we would have won more medals had we voted Remain.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    Nice.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    EPG said:

HYUFD said:

John_M said:

HYUFD said:

Democracies are rubbish at making big things happen because the mob demands that money be spent on mitigating human suffering rather than concrete for foreigners to admire. I would guess that in Brazil, people do not do the will of the government, if the government merely asks them to do so. No-one had to be told to go to the Olympics in London either, but London is one of the most massively wealthy cities in the world full of unburdened young professionals looking for conspicuous experiential consumption.
    So future Olympics can either be held in wealthy democracies or dictatorships then? So Harare 2024? Damascus 2032? Pyongyang 2040? Rio may have been a better bet in the seventies when the generals were still in charge
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    nunu said:

SeanT said:

tyson said:

PlatoSaid said:

SeanT said:

Heh
    sometimes I feel sorry for the Labour party then when I read post's like that I remember how tribal and nasty the left is - and I think bring on two decades of tory rule. Hahahahah.
    Indeed.

It is a fantastic time to be a Tory. When Labour crops up in everyday conversation it is almost certainly a criticism of them.

The UK is trending Tory and with any luck we will not see a Labour government for decades.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

EPG said:

HYUFD said:

John_M said:

HYUFD said:

So future Olympics can either be held in wealthy democracies or dictatorships then? So Harare 2024? Damascus 2032? Pyongyang 2040?
    One things for certain if it was Pyongyang the opening and closing ceremonies would put all others in the shade.
  • Options
    Both British lads had the after burners on there.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    SeanT said:

tyson said:

HYUFD said:

tyson said:

PlatoSaid said:

SeanT said:

Heh
    Tyson thinks Chariots of Fire was a documentary. :lol:
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,087
    HYUFD said:

EPG said:

HYUFD said:

John_M said:

HYUFD said:

So future Olympics can either be held in wealthy democracies or dictatorships then? So Harare 2024? Damascus 2032? Pyongyang 2040? Rio may have been a better bet in the seventies when the generals were still in charge
    How about Bangkok? Generals in charge there at the moment!
  • Options

SeanT said:

tyson said:

HYUFD said:

tyson said:

PlatoSaid said:

SeanT said:

Heh
    Tyson thinks Chariots of Fire was a documentary. :lol:
    You mean it wasn't?
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

HYUFD said:

EPG said:

HYUFD said:

John_M said:

HYUFD said:

So future Olympics can either be held in wealthy democracies or dictatorships then? So Harare 2024? Damascus 2032? Pyongyang 2040?
    One things for certain if it was Pyongyang the opening and closing ceremonies would put all others in the shade.
    Well of course. Perfection or else death tends to produce excellence!
  • Options
    Silver in the windsurfing
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,630
    tyson said:

PlatoSaid said:

SeanT said:

You can add golf to the latter list. Despite the image of the sport, none of GB's four golfing Olympians come from particularly privileged backgrounds.
  • Options
    what time is Bradleys final?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Moses_ said:

HYUFD said:

EPG said:

HYUFD said:

John_M said:

HYUFD said:

Ah yes indeed.

Anyway for beer lovers everywhere.....North Korea's Pyongyang hosts first beer festival

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/08/12/north-koreas-pyongyang-hosts-first-beer-festival/
  • Options
    Sky News

A federal judge has overturned the conviction of a prisoner featured on Making a Murderer https://t.co/lk9v6y4hKR
  • Options
    Team GB really surpassing my expectations... having tagged them spursy on day 3.

Anyone still need the link to PB fantasy premier league for tomorrow just ask. Last I looked we had 14 which is great...
  • Options
    nunu said:

what time is Bradleys final?

About 11pm
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    PlatoSaid said:

Sky News

A federal judge has overturned the conviction of a prisoner featured on Making a Murderer https://t.co/lk9v6y4hKR

I couldnt get into that show. I found "serial" far more interesting because the guy found guilty was a super interesting.
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

kle4 said:

Moses_ said:

HYUFD said:

EPG said:

HYUFD said:

John_M said:

HYUFD said:

Ah yes indeed.

Anyway for beer lovers everywhere.....North Korea's Pyongyang hosts first beer festival

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/08/12/north-koreas-pyongyang-hosts-first-beer-festival/
    That Beer has a British connection to my hometown.

http://www.wiltshiretimes.co.uk/news/4475589.How_Ushers__Trowbridge_brewery_is_now_the_toast_of_North_Korea/

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/8115677.stm
  • Options
    Balding mentioned the velodrome capacity was just 3k. The London one is 6k.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Sometimes when the commentators talk about previous form which riders have inexplicably lost from a couple of years back I feel as though they are ignoring the elephant in the room in the shape of doping. It's obvious that some racers who were unbelievably strong a couple of years ago before the big bang of Armstrong's scandal have lost "form" because they can no longer dope their way to the top.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Balding mentioned the velodrome capacity was just 3k. The London one is 6k.

Given the noise sounds like 2k of those are Brits.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

Sky News

I couldnt get into that show. I found "serial" far more interesting because the guy found guilty was a super interesting.
    Oh I was glued and watched in one sitting. All night
  • Options
    DromedaryDromedary Posts: 1,194
    Ladbrokes have cut the odds of Trump being replaced as Republican candidate from 6\1 to 5\1.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Sometimes when the commentators talk about previous form which riders have inexplicably lost from a couple of years back I feel as though they are ignoring the elephant in the room in the shape of doping. It's obvious that some racers who were unbelievably strong a couple of years ago before the big bang of Armstrong's scandal have lost "form" because they can no longer dope their way to the top.

In ufc (MMA) they brought in proper dug testing about 2 years ago & the difference in the bodies of the fighters is chalk and cheese.
  • Options
    Chinese helmets are great
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:

Sky News

Have you listened to serial?
  • Options
    Interesting to note that given the poor attendance at many of the other venues that velodrome looks close to full.
  • Options
    Dromedary said:

Ladbrokes have cut the odds of Trump being replaced as Republican candidate from 6\1 to 5\1.

Free money for Shadsy!
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    MaxPB said:

Dromedary said:

Free money for Shadsy!
    Yep - back Pence for POTUS on Betfair as a better proxy for this.

It's not an exact proxy but 5-1 is very very short, Pence was 1000.0 on Betfair. Think he is still around 900 or so.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:

Sky News

Haven't come across that, can you point me to a linky?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,472
    HYUFD said:

tyson said:

HYUFD said:

tyson said:

PlatoSaid said:

SeanT said:

So if Corbyn ever becomes PM (god help us) does that mean when he has the reception for Olympic winners they would have to have passed the toffometer first? Will anyone who looks remotely Tory and upper middle class or went to a public school be refused entry as their gold medals don't count as they were won on the backs of the proletariat?
    But surely the Toffometer would block Jez himself and they'd have to cancel the reception? Thus solving the problem!
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:

Sky News

Haven't come across that, can you point me to a linky?
    Look on iTunes (it's free)...it is the most downloaded podcast ever. Something crazy like 40 million downloads.

I don't want to say too much as it will spoil it, other than to say it true story looking into the case of a guy convicted of killing his girlfriend in high school...and was told week by week as the reporter looked into the case, and each week chased down leads she found and discovered by listeners.

The "story telling" is just fantastic and the phone conversations with the convicted killer are just so fascinating.

Edit:- You want season 1....not season 2.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

EPG said:

HYUFD said:

John_M said:

HYUFD said:

Yes, could be a strong contendor, will have to hold off Cairo and Havana though!
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

are you sure "inexplicable loss of form" isn't the commentators way of drawing attention to something they can't say?
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @tyson

'I'm hoping we capsize. There is nothing more depressing than watching rich English public school Tories winning sailing, riding, and rowing medals at the Olympic games. Fantastic to see Fiji demolish our public school boy Tory 7's.'

Chippy's come our from under his stone.
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

HYUFD said:

EPG said:

HYUFD said:

John_M said:

HYUFD said:

Certainly if you were a performer and Kim Jong Un felt you were not up to standard you may find yourself permanently in the shade!
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Moses_ said:

kle4 said:

Moses_ said:

HYUFD said:

EPG said:

HYUFD said:

John_M said:

HYUFD said:

Ah yes indeed.

http://www.wiltshiretimes.co.uk/news/4475589.How_Ushers__Trowbridge_brewery_is_now_the_toast_of_North_Korea/

That's very interesting. I hove from Bath and I remember that Brewery even got a tour and a freebie in the onsite bar. It here was a huge bottling factory across the road from it and the old bus station used to be there as well. It's a Sainsburys now of course where the bottling plant was.

That buying a brewery and shipping internationally happened in Bristol as well. They shipped that one to Russia.

Personally I am a Wadworth fan myself and 6X . Always been a fan of Bath rugby of course.

Interesting fact. Waddworths in Devizes is the only brewery that still delivers beer to the local pubs using horse and dray.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

tyson said:

HYUFD said:

tyson said:

PlatoSaid said:

SeanT said:

But surely the Toffometer would block Jez himself and they'd have to cancel the reception? Thus solving the problem!
    Whoever said socialists were logical!
  • Options
    Charles said:

MaxPB said:

are you sure "inexplicable loss of form" isn't the commentators way of drawing attention to something they can't say?
    It's right up there with 'tired and emotional'.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,087
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

EPG said:

HYUFD said:

John_M said:

HYUFD said:

Yes, could be a strong contendor, will have to hold off Cairo and Havana though!
    A post PM allegedly tried to get an F1 street race organised three or four years ago.
  • Options
    Charles said:

MaxPB said:

I'd prefer them to just come out and say it foe those who have had doping bans.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

EPG said:

HYUFD said:

John_M said:

HYUFD said:

2024 from Constantinople? Got to be in with a shout now then given recent events :lol:
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

kle4 said:

Moses_ said:

kle4 said:

Moses_ said:

HYUFD said:

EPG said:

HYUFD said:

John_M said:

HYUFD said:

Ah yes indeed.

That's very interesting. I hove from Bath and I remember that Brewery even got a tour and a freebie in the onsite bar.
    Sadly it had closed by the time I grew up in my very brief phase of drinking, although the smell of hops would often float over the school playground quite pleasantly.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    Pulpstar said:

Chinese helmets are great

Fnarr fnarr ( channeling my inner puerile Finbarr Saunders).
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    If the BBC are going to channel hop then they should start the following channel a minute or so earlier. It's ridiculous that they force viewers to sit through their adverts and intros all the bloody time.

Edit, or just stick the news on BBC 2.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    CaptainAde

BBC One: Hello and...
    BBC Two: Welcome to...
    BBC One: The Olympics...
    BBC Two: Here at...
    BBC One: Rio de...
    BBC Two: Janeiro
    #BBCRio2016
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    kle4 said:

Moses_ said:

kle4 said:

Moses_ said:

kle4 said:

Moses_ said:

HYUFD said:

EPG said:

HYUFD said:

John_M said:

HYUFD said:

Ah yes indeed.

That's very interesting. I hove from Bath and I remember that Brewery even got a tour and a freebie in the onsite bar.
    Sadly it had closed by the time I grew up in my very brief phase of drinking, although the smell of hops would often float over the school playground quite pleasantly.
    Yes I do remember that hops smell as well and also Bowyers and the smell of freshly cooked pies..... My granny lived on the outskirts of Trowbridge hence I regularly visited
This discussion has been closed.