Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » LAB leadership round-up on the afternoon the Appeal Court s

Comments

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,189
    Moses_ said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

EPG said:

HYUFD said:

John_M said:

HYUFD said:

Though as SeanT points out China produced an excellent games with a much lower gdp per capita than Brazil

Fair point. I'm only arguing for the sake of it. I would imagine the Chinese authorities could more easily say "Full attendance please, or some of you will be goat herding in Xinjiang for the next eleventy billion years".
    Indeed, China's government does at least know how to organise, unlike the present chaotic leaders in charge of Brazil
    Democracies are rubbish at making big things happen because the mob demands that money be spent on mitigating human suffering rather than concrete for foreigners to admire. I would guess that in Brazil, people do not do the will of the government, if the government merely asks them to do so. No-one had to be told to go to the Olympics in London either, but London is one of the most massively wealthy cities in the world full of unburdened young professionals looking for conspicuous experiential consumption.
    So future Olympics can either be held in wealthy democracies or dictatorships then? So Harare 2024? Damascus 2032? Pyongyang 2040? Rio may have been a better bet in the seventies when the generals were still in charge
    How about Bangkok? Generals in charge there at the moment!
    Yes, could be a strong contendor, will have to hold off Cairo and Havana though!
    2024 from Constantinople? Got to be in with a shout now then given recent events :lol:
    Yes, though whether the dictator is Erdogan or a general by then remains to be seen
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

EPG said:

HYUFD said:

John_M said:

HYUFD said:

Though as SeanT points out China produced an excellent games with a much lower gdp per capita than Brazil

Fair point. I'm only arguing for the sake of it. I would imagine the Chinese authorities could more easily say "Full attendance please, or some of you will be goat herding in Xinjiang for the next eleventy billion years".
    Indeed, China's government does at least know how to organise, unlike the present chaotic leaders in charge of Brazil
    Democracies are rubbish at making big things happen because the mob demands that money be spent on mitigating human suffering rather than concrete for foreigners to admire. I would guess that in Brazil, people do not do the will of the government, if the government merely asks them to do so. No-one had to be told to go to the Olympics in London either, but London is one of the most massively wealthy cities in the world full of unburdened young professionals looking for conspicuous experiential consumption.
    So future Olympics can either be held in wealthy democracies or dictatorships then? So Harare 2024? Damascus 2032? Pyongyang 2040? Rio may have been a better bet in the seventies when the generals were still in charge
    How about Bangkok? Generals in charge there at the moment!
    Yes, could be a strong contendor, will have to hold off Cairo and Havana though!
    A post PM allegedly tried to get an F1 street race organised three or four years ago.
    Now which PM had links with Ecclestone?
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    edited August 2016
    Newsnight profiling a suicide bomber in Germany.

Cycling's better
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,302
    edited August 2016
    MaxPB said:

If the BBC are going to channel hop then they should start the following channel a minute or so earlier. It's ridiculous that they force viewers to sit through their adverts and intros all the bloody time.

Edit, or just stick the news on BBC 2.

I really like the way sky do it, when they have a big sporting event they just change one of their channels to be Sky Ryder Cup etc.

What is also really annoying is if you watch the "main" live stream via the bbc sport website, when the tv changes channel, the bbc sport doesn't continue with the live sport, it starts showing like the news at 10. You have to refresh the stream for it to pick up the sport again.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    MaxPB said:

If the BBC are going to channel hop then they should start the following channel a minute or so earlier. It's ridiculous that they force viewers to sit through their adverts and intros all the bloody time.

It is deeply frustrating. And made worse by a lot of empty-headed 'presenters'

Though having listened to Radio 5 earlier this evening, it would seem that there is no talent left for their presenting team. Utterly, utterly pointless to try to do radio coverage of a shooting competition!
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Moses_ said:

Cycling's better

Does it go....this bloke locally known as Dave, was a bad Muslim, and probably a bit gay, and with nothing to do with Islam, he became radicalized, but was not a terrorist?
  • Options

Moses_ said:

Cycling's better

Does it go....this bloke locally known as Dave, was a bad Muslim, and probably a bit gay, and with nothing to do with Islam, he became radicalized, but was not a terrorist?
    No spoilers please :wink:
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,010
    Not bothered with any of the "official" BBC channels, just picked and chose what to watch on the BBC via the "schedule page".

The coverage has been excellent if you're technically savvy enough to find it all (Instead of listening to Hoy and Redgrave gas about Wiggins for an hour)
  • Options
    edited August 2016

MaxPB said:

It is deeply frustrating. And made worse by a lot of empty-headed 'presenters'

Though having listened to Radio 5 earlier this evening, it would seem that there is no talent left for their presenting team. Utterly, utterly pointless to try to do radio coverage of a shooting competition!
    Sky sports have several dedicated Olympic channels covering the different sports. The guide to what on though rarely matches what they are showing. Select boxing and its horse dancing sort of thing.
  • Options
    Working for the BBC is such a prestigious job that they all should be utterly superb, right down to the continuity announcer at three o'clock in the morning on local radio. That's clearly not the case.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,634
    I'm not sure I can watch it. Nerves.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    nunu said:
    As befits a movement dedicated to reinventing democracy through new technology, it also aims to boost the youth vote by persuading the company developing Pokémon Go in Iceland to turn polling stations into Pokéstops.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    Come on Wiggo!
  • Options
    Not sure we're going to get this.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    John_M said:

Charles said:

MaxPB said:

Sometimes when the commentators talk about previous form which riders have inexplicably lost from a couple of years back I feel as though they are ignoring the elephant in the room in the shape of doping. It's obvious that some racers who were unbelievably strong a couple of years ago before the big bang of Armstrong's scandal have lost "form" because they can no longer dope their way to the top.

are you sure "inexplicable loss of form" isn't the commentators way of drawing attention to something they can't say?
    It's right up there with 'tired and emotional'.
    I suspect you might be right...
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,211
    GOLD!
  • Options
    Holy shit
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    Another world record gold!
  • Options
    Gold in the velodrome!!
  • Options
    So close.
  • Options
    Yea Ha!
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Charles said:

MaxPB said:

Sometimes when the commentators talk about previous form which riders have inexplicably lost from a couple of years back I feel as though they are ignoring the elephant in the room in the shape of doping. It's obvious that some racers who were unbelievably strong a couple of years ago before the big bang of Armstrong's scandal have lost "form" because they can no longer dope their way to the top.

are you sure "inexplicable loss of form" isn't the commentators way of drawing attention to something they can't say?
    I'd prefer them to just come out and say it foe those who have had doping bans.
    But if you can't say with 100% certainty that a historic performance was drug-induced you'd be in a legal minefield
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,454
    Excellent!!!
  • Options
    Jaysus. Nerves shattered. Fantastic race.
  • Options
    Puts us up to 3rd in the medal table.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Wow. That was too close! They pushed then hard!
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154
    Third in the table, ahead of Japan.....
  • Options
    Never in doubt ;-)
  • Options
    Was Sir Chris speculating on "catching" the Aussies in the pre-match build-up?
  • Options
    Never in doubt :)
  • Options
    Did I lip read that correctly?
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    SeanT said:

PROPER SPORT

Eh, they're sitting down foe Christ sake...
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    Proud.
  • Options

:smiley:
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,018
    Woo hoo!!
  • Options

Did somebody say something naughty?
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    I get the feeling that Ed Clancy and Jason Kenny may end their career ahead of Chris Hoy.
  • Options

FUCK YEAH!
  • Options

Well it did rather look like one of them screamed two four letter words, the second one being "yeah"....
  • Options
    I'm shaking and I'm just lying down...........imagine how they feel.......
  • Options
    Still not into these Olympics ;-)

neighbours been round to ask if I mind stop shouting!
  • Options
    Look at that medals table. LOOK AT IT.
  • Options
    Kevin Hague

why Lycra shorts should always be black https://t.co/rK5Ca1uryD
  • Options

Are we actually doing better than expected, or are our gold medals front loaded?
  • Options
    Another gold and WR

No doubt Tyson will be along in a minute to vomit more bile.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Are we actually doing better than expected, or are our gold medals front loaded?
    Trying to think about the athletics. We have Mr mobot, the ginger flier & the two lasses in the hepthaton. Do we have any other good chances ?
  • Options
    Jeremy Corbyn 4 PM

Tonight, you raised 100% of the funds needed for the 5 who were ruled against this afternoon. You are amazing.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Five of the seven were expected, I would say.
  • Options

And vying for the top spot in test cricket.

There's a breath and depth to British sport that is quite superb, and we are THE global powerhouse of cycling now.
  • Options
    We still have a load of sailing . I believe we are currently leading in two categories.
  • Options
    Nice chart :smiley:

Guess who's third in the medal table? So proud of Team GB #rio2016 #BringOnTheGreat https://t.co/r07vdeYkiO
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

Another gold and WR

Bradley Wiggins is a Labour man.

But is cycling too Tory for Tyson :D ?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

There's a breath and depth to British sport that is quite superb, and we are THE global powerhouse of cycling now.
    Shame the footballers are utter crud.
  • Options
    Don't forget the rugby (15s). Totally transformed under Eddie Jones .
  • Options

RobD said:

Trying to think about the athletics. We have Mr mobot, the ginger flier & the two lasses in the hepthaton. Do we have any other good chances ?
    Dujardin/Hester in dressage
  • Options

Don't forget the rugby (15s). Totally transformed under Eddie Jones .

Very true, won 3-0 away, in Aus !
  • Options

Amazing.

Indeed if we hadn't voted Brexit and achieved ever closer union then by 2024 Team EU on the present medal totals would be wiping the floor with the Yanks and the Chinese. :lol:
  • Options
    Tyson probably having a meltdown if he is watching bbc one...all.those posho gold medalists in one place.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Jeremy Corbyn 4 PM

Tonight, you raised 100% of the funds needed for the 5 who were ruled against this afternoon. You are amazing.

Actually I think that is the right action to take. They shouldn't have been out of pocket for fighting for party democracy. If only the NEC had acted properly in the firs place....
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Shame the footballers are utter crud.
    The Welsh did alright!
  • Options

tell them to fuck off!

(joke)
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    PlatoSaid said:

Nice chart :smiley:

Guess who's third in the medal table? So proud of Team GB #rio2016 #BringOnTheGreat https://t.co/r07vdeYkiO

Of course, on a per capita per family basis, we are doing rather better than both the US and China...
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Moses_ said:

Another gold and WR

Bradley Wiggins is a Labour man.

But is cycling too Tory for Tyson :D ?
    After Tebbit is cycling anything other than Tory!
  • Options
    Something really satisfying about beating the Australians, can't explain it.
  • Options
    Bradley eyes closed at the anthem plays....... Can you possibly even start to imagine what's going through his mind right now?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,079

PlatoSaid said:

Jeremy Corbyn 4 PM

Actually I think that is the right action to take. They shouldn't have been out of pocket for fighting for party democracy. If only the NEC had acted properly in the firs place....
    The NEC did act properly, or so it has been ruled. What they may not have done is acted decently.
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

Another gold and WR

No he was bigging up Wiggins.
  • Options
    nunu said:

tell them to fuck off!

(joke)
    Fuck yeah!
  • Options
    What's that shit looking trinket that they get? One of my cyclists definitely looked at it as if what the f##ks this shit you are giving me now.
  • Options

Something really satisfying about beating the Australians, can't explain it.

I don't know what you mean :wink:
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Moses_ said:

Another gold and WR

I'd like to see fox hunting in the olympics tbh.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Moses_ said:

Another gold and WR

Brad must be so relieved, he has Tysons blessing so certainly will sleep easier tonight :wink:
  • Options
    edited August 2016

What's that shit looking trinket that they get? One of my cyclists definitely looked at it as if what the f##ks this shit you are giving me now.

They've all been looking awkwardly at them. Kids flip flops left on the beach?

You have to win another medal to make a pair
  • Options
    Chris hoy ain't let himself go after retiring has he!
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    I applaud all the athletes who win gold medals, but frankly really do not give a toss as to which country they come from. At the end of the day they are doing it for themselves!
  • Options

Chris hoy ain't let himself go after retiring has he!

He's really rather sexy.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    justin124 said:

I applaud all the athletes who win gold medals, but frankly really do not give a toss as to which country they come from. At the end of the day they are doing it for themselves!

Pretty sure they are doing it for Queen and Country. :)
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    PlatoSaid said:

When I first saw them I thought it was a toast rack......

Gold medal and a toast rack.... Cool
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

PlatoSaid said:

Ask yourself, which one is more useful?
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Moses_ said:

PlatoSaid said:

You know which is going on eBay!
  • Options
    Nick Barlow

Amidst Wiggins' achievements: only rider to defend individual pursuit title, and first since 1936 to win gold on track and road. #Rio2016
  • Options
    Just noticed on the highlights we have a silver in the trampoline

Well done Bryony Page !!
  • Options
    Many babies will be made tonight. That is all.
  • Options
    Just thought we still have brownlee brothers in the triathlon as well to come.
  • Options
    John_M said:

I think Bradley is probably a bit knackered for all that ;-)
  • Options
    edited August 2016

No flowers because they wouldn't survive the Rio climate apparently. http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/sports/What-in-the-World-are-the-Olympians-Holding-389906621.html
  • Options
    Nick Barlow

Amidst Wiggins' achievements: only rider to defend individual pursuit title, and first since 1936 to win gold on track and road. #Rio2016

Murray in tennis, assume Mo in 5 plus 10k
  • Options
    edited August 2016

No flowers because they wouldn't survive the Rio climate apparently. http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/sports/What-in-the-World-are-the-Olympians-Holding-389906621.html
    A 3d logo of the games...oh ambassador you are really spoiling us.
  • Options
    Amazing how all the leaders in the 85kg weightlifting are from eastern europe/ former soviet states.
  • Options
    AramintaMoonbeamQCAramintaMoonbeamQC Posts: 3,640
    edited August 2016
    PlatoSaid said:

Nick Barlow

Nicola Adams in the boxing. Jade Jones in the taekwondo.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,528
    nunu said:

Pulpstar said:

SeanT said:

FUCK

The Germans are just behind us in the medal table. 6 golds.

Beat us in the horse dancing :(
    that one always makes me smile :)
    Not really. It is a pitiful, pathetic spectacle, with no merit as a sport whatsoever.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    John_M said:

That's what the guy going around handing out tens of thousands of condoms is for.
  • Options
    I wonder why it is team GB can never seem to find people who are competitive in the hammer, shot, discus? We had the big lad who tried it for 2 years, got to Olympics then went off to play American football & that is about the only person we have had that was up there with the top 10 or so in the world.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

nunu said:

Pulpstar said:

SeanT said:

FUCK

Not really. It is a pitiful, pathetic spectacle, with no merit as a sport whatsoever.
    Not my cup of tea, and hardly feels like an athletic competition, but hey, a medal is a medal. Sold out stands for it in 2012.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    PlatoSaid said:

Nick Barlow

I am not sure Murray can beat Nadal (the likely final) at the moment. He is not playing at his best.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

nunu said:

Pulpstar said:

SeanT said:

FUCK

I literally don't understand it. I get show jumping and the other horse events, but dancing is just weird.
  • Options

A 3d logo of the games...oh ambassador you are really spoiling us.
    At least their logo is better than our logo was.
This discussion has been closed.