Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » On a momentous day in British politics the latest PB/Pollin

1235»

Comments

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,027
    Charles said:

Scott_P said:

@PickardJE: Boris on Clinton, 2007: "Dyed blonde hair and pouty lips, steely stare, like a sadistic nurse in a mental hospital." https://t.co/bjimS239NT

Nope. Still picturing Trump

*innocent face*
    He had hair back in 07? *even more innocent face*
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,949
    edited July 2016
    Scott_P said:

@BBCNewsnight: @MatthewParris3:"She's appointed the geldings rather than the stallions of Brexit. They will never satisfy the ultras in the Conservatives."

I think Parris is deluding himself (and it still in denial about whats happened)
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807
    Is there a market on the longevity on the three comedians on the foreign affairs briefs? Might make an interesting accumulator
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,780

stjohn said:

Nick. Do you see any value amongst the contenders for the Labour leadership election or is that putting you on the spot?

I think Corbyn has a fight on his hands after the NEC fix of the electorate. But the Betfair odds are strange - they put Smith and Corbyn roughly equal at just over evens, and Eagle out at 15. I'd think it a toss-up which of them becomes the stronger challenger - Eagle has certainly been much more prominent in recent years. Probably should be Corbyn evens, Smith and Eagle 2-1.

But DYOR - I'm not involved in this at the moment (just off to the States for 3 weeks) and have no inside info.
    Cheers Nick. Helpful as always.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:

@BBCNewsnight: @MatthewParris3:"She's appointed the geldings rather than the stallions of Brexit. They will never satisfy the ultras in the Conservatives."

Remind me, who were the stallions? :p
    CF
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

I think Parris is deluding himself (and it still in denial about whats happened)
    He has been disconnected from the real world for a long time now. He no longer offers real insight - just ill-informed commentary and bitching.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Well, I predicted a couple of days ago that the new cabinet would be a more radical change than journalists and others were expecting, and that Osborne would be out. So far, so good.

But, Theresa, DD? I mean, DD? And Boris as Foreign Sec???

Top marks for choices which will help unify the party without the need to give Ms Leadsom a top job, but, hang on...

Either she's being Machiavellian, giving them enough rope to hang themselves, or she intends to run Brexit herself. The former isn't really her style, so it must be the latter.

Can I ask the bookies to open bets on how long it will be before DD flounces out?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    RobD said:

Charles said:

Scott_P said:

@PickardJE: Boris on Clinton, 2007: "Dyed blonde hair and pouty lips, steely stare, like a sadistic nurse in a mental hospital." https://t.co/bjimS239NT

Nope. Still picturing Trump

*innocent face*
    He had hair back in 07? *even more innocent face*
    Real hair wig counts, i reckon
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,034
    edited July 2016
    15/03/2013 Single To Win
    Philip Hammond @ 14/1
    Next Chancellor
    Next Chancellor £6.00 Pending

o_O ?
  • Options

Well, I predicted a couple of days ago that the new cabinet would be a more radical change than journalists and others were expecting, and that Osborne would be out. So far, so good.

Top marks for choices which will help unify the party without the need to give Ms Leadsom a top job, but, hang on...

Either she's being Machiavellian, giving them enough rope to hang themselves, or she intends to run Brexit herself. The former isn't really her style, so it must be the latter.

Can I ask the bookies to open bets on how long it will be before DD flounces out?

I requested up thread whether we could have a market on all three...
  • Options
    Just catching up on PMQs

Did Cameron *really* compare Corbyn to Monty Python's Black Knight?!?

That is just superb!
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,949

I think David Davis will surprise people at how serious and detailed he is on this. After all these years in the political wilderness he has the opportunity to shape the countries place in the world for the next century.

This is an entirely different situation to when he was in Cameron's shadow cabinet. I'll be surprised if he blows it.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

It seems that BIS is gone. Education takes back Universities and Skills and Fox taking on the Trade side of things in the new Department for International Trade

Oi, that was my idea!
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865

A wonderful day seeing Osborne sacked.

My William Hill account is £150 richer thanks to whoever tipped George ceasing to be CoE in 2016!

On a more serious note, I could not help but notice this resemblance between two well known politicians:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3688798/Theresa-wears-yellow-black-ensemble-just-like-Hillary-Clinton.html

And it is striking that both resemble the nautical signalling flag L

http://www.marinewaypoints.com/learn/flags/flags.shtml

Also used at sea to mean: "You should stop your vessel immediately"

This edition of "Fun with Flags" is brought to you by Dr Foxy!
    Lima when flown in port also means " vessel (ship) is Quarantined"
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    David Davis currently has a law suit ongoing against the Home Office.

twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/753308249072472064
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    A question for PBers:

In what could be a realistic scenario, say we go full brexit. The economy goes into a mild recession as we leave the EU in 2019/2020 to trade under WTO rules, but with a canada-like deal under discussion. On the other hand, this means immigration is demonstrably and significantly reduced. Do the tories win the next election if they deliver on immigration but we are still suffering economically from brexit?

In the other scenario, we go Norway style, no immigration control or reduction but the economy recovers and is at pre-brexit levels. Do the tories win that election (and if so, by a greater or lesser margin than the 1st scenario?)

Assume in both cases that Corbyn is replaced by Owen Smith who is reasonably compotent but no tony blair 1997 second coming type figure - no party split, semblance of unity exists.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,618
    RobD said:

MP_SE said:

jonny83 said:

Just re-watched the Johanna Baxter interview on C4 and the amount of abuse she has gotten really has made my blood boil. Can't believe that absolute scum are getting away with behaviour like that and the so called Labour 'leader' is allowing it to happen.

These Corbyn backers really need to take a long hard look at themselves and purge this evil from their party.

Labour moderates did nothing when the loony left were attacking the Tories and UKIP.
    Tory scum are fair game! :)
    You are famniliar with this scene? :lol:

Sgt. Sunil: Alright, sweethearts, you're a team and there's nothin' to worry about. We come here, and we're gonna conquer, and we're gonna kick some, is that understood? That's what we're gonna do, sweethearts, we are going to go and get some. All right, people, on the ready line! Are ya lean?

PB Tories: Yeah!

Sgt. Sunil: Are ya mean?

PB Tories: Yeah!

Sgt. Sunil: WHAT ARE YOU?

PB Tories: Lean and mean!

Sgt. Sunil: WHAT ARE YOU? RobD! TSE! Get on the ready line, PB Tories, get some today! Get on the ready line! Move it out! Move it out, goddammit! Get hot! One, two, three, four! Get out, get out, get out! Move it out, move it out, move it out! Move it out, move it out, move it out! One, two, three, four, five, six, seven! Aaarrrrr, absolutely badasses! Let's pack 'em in! Get in there!
  • Options

A question for PBers:

In what could be a realistic scenario, say we go full brexit. The economy goes into a mild recession as we leave the EU in 2019/2020 to trade under WTO rules, but with a canada-like deal under discussion. On the other hand, this means immigration is demonstrably and significantly reduced. Do the tories win the next election if they deliver on immigration but we are still suffering economically from brexit?

In the other scenario, we go Norway style, no immigration control or reduction but the economy recovers and is at pre-brexit levels. Do the tories win that election (and if so, by a greater or lesser margin than the 1st scenario?)

Assume in both cases that Corbyn is replaced by Owen Smith who is reasonably compotent but no tony blair 1997 second coming type figure - no party split, semblance of unity exists.

1 yes
    2 maybe
  • Options

RobD said:

MP_SE said:

jonny83 said:

Just re-watched the Johanna Baxter interview on C4 and the amount of abuse she has gotten really has made my blood boil. Can't believe that absolute scum are getting away with behaviour like that and the so called Labour 'leader' is allowing it to happen.

These Corbyn backers really need to take a long hard look at themselves and purge this evil from their party.

Labour moderates did nothing when the loony left were attacking the Tories and UKIP.
    Tory scum are fair game! :)
    You are famniliar with this scene? :lol:

This implies PB Tories aren't dandies. Not sure that is entirely accurate :D
  • Options
    GravitationGravitation Posts: 281
    I hope that Cameron returns to Cabinet, perhaps in a year in so, even if it's as a job such as Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster just to have him back around the table. Real class act by him today.
  • Options
    Johnson isn't even in the Privy Council! Thought the Mayoralty would give him that?
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Moses_ said:

A wonderful day seeing Osborne sacked.

My William Hill account is £150 richer thanks to whoever tipped George ceasing to be CoE in 2016!

On a more serious note, I could not help but notice this resemblance between two well known politicians:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3688798/Theresa-wears-yellow-black-ensemble-just-like-Hillary-Clinton.html

And it is striking that both resemble the nautical signalling flag L

http://www.marinewaypoints.com/learn/flags/flags.shtml

Also used at sea to mean: "You should stop your vessel immediately"

This edition of "Fun with Flags" is brought to you by Dr Foxy!
    Lima when flown in port also means " vessel (ship) is Quarantined"
    There is also some resemblance to I : "When used at sea means: I am altering course to Port"
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Today has been a good day. New PM for the nation, and personally agreed terms on a lease for a new and larger business premises.

Who knows what tomorrow will hold. A new dawn will break, will it not?

This is a day long to be remembered. It has seen the end of Cameron, and will soon see the end of the Labour Party :)
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    AndyJS said:

David Davis currently has a law suit ongoing against the Home Office.

twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/753308249072472064

D'oh!
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Today has been a good day. New PM for the nation, and personally agreed terms on a lease for a new and larger business premises.

Women's day tommorow.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,167

A question for PBers:

Unknown to both. In the scenarios you outline, there is an recession and immigration control in the first and no recession and no immigration control in the second. I don't know which one will be less electorally attractive.
  • Options
    nunu said:

Mortimer said:

Women's day tommorow.
    It may be a good day for Eagle, great reaction to the news of Boris:

http://m.huffpost.com/uk/entry/uk_5786ba87e4b0f4bc594673e5?edition=uk

• Options
    I only wish Labour spoke out against this sort of stuff when is happened to Esther McVey.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jul/13/death-threats-received-by-luciana-berger-labour-mp-for-wavertree
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    edited July 2016
    For the curious, this is something Momentum have emailed me. You may find it useful as a guide to what is going on with regard to "recruitment" activity.

Yesterday we won a huge victory for democracy. Labour's National Executive Committee (NEC) decided that Jeremy Corbyn would be on the ballot paper automatically for the leadership election.

However, the NEC did also made some rulings that could impact on your ability to vote in this crucial election.

There is still a degree of confusion and we are trying to seek greater clarity, which we’ll tell you as soon as possible. Here is what we do know:

If you joined the Labour Party after 12 January 2016:

As it stands, you will not be able to vote in the Labour leadership election. If you joined after 12 January, please complete this survey [there is a link at this point, but believe it was specific to my email - filling in the survey gives details about your membership situation so enables Momentum to contact you with advice once things are clarified] so we can keep you informed with any advice that follows. You may be able to join as a registered supporter or affiliate member (see below) to vote in the leadership contest.

If you were a registered supporter last year:

You will need to join again as either a registered supporter or affiliate member (see below) unless you joined as a full member prior to 12 January.

If you are a member of an affiliated union:

If you’re in an affiliated trade union, check to make sure you haven’t opted out of the political levy and then you can register with Labour as an affiliated member and you will be able to vote in the leadership elections. The deadline is the 8th August.

As it stands, there are two ways you can obtain a vote if you’ve been disenfranchised by the NEC's decision.

1. Join as an affiliate supporter before 8 August (likely to be the cheaper option)

You can find an affiliated trade union to join here. Providing that you don’t opt out of the political levy, you can then register with Labour as an affiliated member and you will be able to vote in the leadership elections.

2. To join as a registered supporter

It is likely that you will only be able to register between Monday 18 - Wednesday 20 July. The timetable will be confirmed tomorrow. Regrettably the cost has been raised to £25. [Note that there is no link here - not even to a holding page.]

We will let you know as soon as we know more but in the meantime, please sign up to volunteer, donate and get active. [This link is to jeremyforlabour.com]

Thank you for your support. Together, we’ll build a more democratic, equal and decent society.

In solidarity,

Team Momentum

• Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,848

A question for PBers:

Unless the consequences of Brexit are so demonstrably catastrophic that the government has to change tack, the Tories will be OK. I don't think it will be as bad as that, maybe 0% growth p.a. rather than 2%. So the route they take won't directly change the election result. The choices will be governed more by political expediency, being seen to be competent and which special interest they favour.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    nunu said:

I only wish Labour spoke out against this sort of stuff when is happened to Esther McVey.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jul/13/death-threats-received-by-luciana-berger-labour-mp-for-wavertree

I felt sorry for McVey. She got some really rotten stuff.

Also thought Liz Kendall showed great resilience through the last leadership campaign. And she still hasn't quit the party! She must have a very deep commitment to Labour. I'm not sure all the activists who are out to get her have quite realised that yet. (Or perhaps they have, but the Labour they want to see and the type of Labour they realise she is committed to, are clearly miles apart.)
  • Options

nunu said:

I felt sorry for McVey. She got some really rotten stuff.

Also thought Liz Kendall showed great resilience through the last leadership campaign. And she still hasn't quit the party! She must have a very deep commitment to Labour. I'm not sure all the activists who are out to get her have quite realised that yet. (Or perhaps they have, but the Labour they want to see and the type of Labour they realise she is committed to, are clearly miles apart.)
    I think Liz will still be in the Labour party after all the Momentum entryists have gone.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

I don't think it will be as bad as that, maybe 0% growth

You are Gordon Brown and I claim my 5 Euros :)
  • Options

FF43 said:

I don't think it will be as bad as that, maybe 0% growth

You are Gordon Brown and I claim my 5 Euros :)
    I can finally start using this again...

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lta21gPm3U1qhy4uu.gif
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    I'm still not wholly convinced than in a straight leadership contest that Corbyn is going to walk this.

What is more concerning is the brownshirts that are lurking. I'm not talking your mouthy cyber trolls here, I'm talking people who are well versed in some interesting forms of activism.

The likes of Nick Palmer there can't afford to pretend there isn't knowledge of some of these people amongst those in Corbyn's circle and that they are tolerated by that circle. Many are fairly limited in their actual vandalism and violence but once you pick up the brick and throw it, you just leave the door open to worse and there is a real danger here never mond the threats. Some notable names hang around the usual radical haunts in Whitechapel and their foot soldiers recently got themselves involved in some attempts to stop the immigration authorities doing their job. Another little cluster is in Deptford.

These people do not believe in free speech, often despise the people they claim to associate with such as the working class. At their core are middle class comfy shoe types and/or their children who wrap themselves in cultural identity politics. In short they are as puritanical as f**k. Internal dissent is reacted to like they are Maoists, short of killing, because they don't (generally) have nuts to actually kill.

• Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited July 2016
    Cllr Tom Bewick ‏@Lab_Westbourne 45m
    Pound against $ up. FtSE at all time high. Nations now queuing up to do trade deals with UK. Just 3 weeks since #EUref & #ProjectFear failed
  • Options
    JennyFreemanJennyFreeman Posts: 488
    Boris is an inspired but risky choice. He oozes charm and could be brilliant. He was superb in helping secure the 2012 Olympics and who can forget this?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsFRgIb8mAQ
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,288
    Trump VP to be announced on Friday.
  • Options

For the curious, this is something Momentum have emailed me. You may find it useful as a guide to what is going on with regard to "recruitment" activity.

However, the NEC did also made some rulings that could impact on your ability to vote in this crucial election.

There is still a degree of confusion and we are trying to seek greater clarity, which we’ll tell you as soon as possible. Here is what we do know:

If you joined the Labour Party after 12 January 2016:

As it stands, you will not be able to vote in the Labour leadership election. If you joined after 12 January, please complete this survey [there is a link at this point, but believe it was specific to my email - filling in the survey gives details about your membership situation so enables Momentum to contact you with advice once things are clarified] so we can keep you informed with any advice that follows. You may be able to join as a registered supporter or affiliate member (see below) to vote in the leadership contest.

If you were a registered supporter last year:

You will need to join again as either a registered supporter or affiliate member (see below) unless you joined as a full member prior to 12 January.

If you are a member of an affiliated union:

If you’re in an affiliated trade union, check to make sure you haven’t opted out of the political levy and then you can register with Labour as an affiliated member and you will be able to vote in the leadership elections. The deadline is the 8th August.

As it stands, there are two ways you can obtain a vote if you’ve been disenfranchised by the NEC's decision.

1. Join as an affiliate supporter before 8 August (likely to be the cheaper option)

You can find an affiliated trade union to join here. Providing that you don’t opt out of the political levy, you can then register with Labour as an affiliated member and you will be able to vote in the leadership elections.

2. To join as a registered supporter

It is likely that you will only be able to register between Monday 18 - Wednesday 20 July. The timetable will be confirmed tomorrow. Regrettably the cost has been raised to £25. [Note that there is no link here - not even to a holding page.]

We will let you know as soon as we know more but in the meantime, please sign up to volunteer, donate and get active. [This link is to jeremyforlabour.com]

Thank you for your support. Together, we’ll build a more democratic, equal and decent society.

In solidarity,

Team Momentum

Well that is very clear.... not!
  • Options

...Pound against $ up...

At 10pm June 23rd when the polls closed, £1=$1.5
    Thirty seconds ago, £1=$1.3125

I know this is politics and concepts are debatable, but we're really going to have to note the difference between the word "up" and the word "down"
  • Options
    Y0kel said:

I'm still not wholly convinced than in a straight leadership contest that Corbyn is going to walk this.

What is more concerning is the brownshirts that are lurking. I'm not talking your mouthy cyber trolls here, I'm talking people who are well versed in some interesting forms of activism.

The likes of Nick Palmer there can't afford to pretend there isn't knowledge of some of these people amongst those in Corbyn's circle and that they are tolerated by that circle. Many are fairly limited in their actual vandalism and violence but once you pick up the brick and throw it, you just leave the door open to worse and there is a real danger here never mond the threats. Some notable names hang around the usual radical haunts in Whitechapel and their foot soldiers recently got themselves involved in some attempts to stop the immigration authorities doing their job. Another little cluster is in Deptford.

These people do not believe in free speech, often despise the people they claim to associate with such as the working class. At their core are middle class comfy shoe types and/or their children who wrap themselves in cultural identity politics. In short they are as puritanical as f**k. Internal dissent is reacted to like they are Maoists, short of killing, because they don't (generally) have nuts to actually kill.

You are spot on. The regressive Left that is Momentum is a very dangerous movement.

Their attempts at mob rule and intimidation are growing in intensity.

They won't take defeat lying down. They will be working very hard to ensure Corbyn stays in post - whether that is by winning the most votes or other methods.

Momentum is more of a threat to the future of the Labour movement than Militant ever was.

Broken windows and online abuse are only the start of what we are going to see.

Revolutions always create victims
  • Options
    viewcode said:

...Pound against $ up...

I know this is politics and concepts are debatable, but we're really going to have to note the difference between the word "up" and the word "down"
    It is really unfair to use the rate at 10pm on the 23rd - as that was an artificial big leap in the value of Sterling in the final minutes before close of trading.

If you look at the average rate in the week running up, it was about $1.40 - so dropping to the low $1.30s is not as significant (and certainly not unprecedented)

I know each side tries to present things to fit their narrative - but the $1.50 spike was just that. A very, very temporary high point based on false expectations.
  • Options
    edited July 2016

- snip -

Well, I suppose it's a clear indication that the Corbynistas are on the back foot! They're struggling with the rules too. Particularly what to do with recent joiners and whether the affiliate option is open to them.

Note that they are not advocating some of the supposed "loopholes" that are doing the rounds on Twitter (eg the ethnic minority/LGBT Labour groups). Those omissions are telling. If there was a workable "backdoor" then the Momentum lot would most likely have identified it and started pushing it by now.
  • Options

- snip -

Well, I suppose it's a clear indication that the Corbynistas are on the back foot! They're struggling with the rules too. Particularly what to do with recent joiners and whether the affiliate option is open to them.

Note that they are not advocating some of the supposed "loopholes" that are doing the rounds on Twitter (eg the ethnic minority/LGBT Labour groups). Those omissions are telling. If there was a workable "backdoor" then the Momentum lot would most likely have identified it and started pushing it by now.
    I still think there will be a legal challenge to all of this.

It goes against all sorts of good sense to have such a complicated system - and to impose discriminatory changes with no public notice or discussion.

I am sure there are lawyers preparing papers. It feels wrong and deserves to be challenged. You really shouldn't be able to change the system in this way. It is not how a democratic party should be seen to operate. People paid their subs with a legitimate expectation of being able to exercise certain rights. Those rights have been taken away without notice. It stinks
  • Options

viewcode said:

...Pound against $ up...

It is really unfair to use the rate at 10pm on the 23rd - as that was an artificial big leap in the value of Sterling in the final minutes before close of trading.

If you look at the average rate in the week running up, it was about $1.40 - so dropping to the low $1.30s is not as significant (and certainly not unprecedented)

I know each side tries to present things to fit their narrative - but the $1.50 spike was just that. A very, very temporary high point based on false expectations.
    ... of a Remain vote. QED
  • Options
    asjohnstoneasjohnstone Posts: 1,276

Boris is an inspired but risky choice. He oozes charm and could be brilliant. He was superb in helping secure the 2012 Olympics and who can forget this?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsFRgIb8mAQ

London was awarded the Olympics in 2005. Boris became mayor in 2008.

He did nothing, Ken was mayor .

Almost the entire Olympic project was done under Labour
  • Options

the $1.50 spike was just that. A very, very temporary high point

No, no, no. Consider the following rates for the first of each month since January 2015

* 2015-01-01 1 GBP = 1.5571 USD
    * 2015-02-01 1 GBP = 1.5044 USD
    * 2015-03-01 1 GBP = 1.5422 USD
    * 2015-04-01 1 GBP = 1.4807 USD
    * 2015-05-01 1 GBP = 1.5257 USD
    * 2015-06-01 1 GBP = 1.5239 USD
    * 2015-07-01 1 GBP = 1.5662 USD
    * 2015-08-01 1 GBP = 1.5614 USD
    * 2015-09-01 1 GBP = 1.5355 USD
    * 2015-10-01 1 GBP = 1.5144 USD
    * 2015-11-01 1 GBP = 1.5388 USD

Cameron's renegotiation starts about here.

* 2015-12-01 1 GBP = 1.5089 USD
    * 2016-01-01 1 GBP = 1.4740 USD
    * 2016-02-01 1 GBP = 1.4338 USD

Feb 19 2016: renegotiation finishes and referendum date announced

* 2016-03-01 1 GBP = 1.3962 USD
    * 2016-04-01 1 GBP = 1.4272 USD
    * 2016-05-01 1 GBP = 1.4624 USD
    * 2016-06-01 1 GBP = 1.4451 USD

Jun 23 2016: referendum day. At 10pm £1=$1.5 because the markets believe REMAIN will win. It doesn't and GBP immediately falls hard.

* 2016-07-01 1 GBP = 1.3302 USD

So: 2015 GBP hovered between $1.50 and 1.55 until the renegotiation started in late 2015, then descended to the mid $1.40s. Post-Brexit it sunk further to the low $1.30s, and one hour ago it was £1=$1.3125

(Sources: https://www.poundsterlinglive.com/best-exchange-rates/british-pound-to-us-dollar-exchange-rate-on-2016-07-01 et al)
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,024

- snip -

I still think there will be a legal challenge to all of this.

It goes against all sorts of good sense to have such a complicated system - and to impose discriminatory changes with no public notice or discussion.

I am sure there are lawyers preparing papers. It feels wrong and deserves to be challenged. You really shouldn't be able to change the system in this way. It is not how a democratic party should be seen to operate. People paid their subs with a legitimate expectation of being able to exercise certain rights. Those rights have been taken away without notice. It stinks
    And I joined the Tories with the expectation of being able to vote for the next PM. :(

But yes, what Labour are up to stinks on a number of different levels, they're clearly making up the rules as they go along and there's enough interested parties being disenfranchised by the process for someone to bring a case before a judge.
  • Options

...so dropping to the low $1.30s is not as significant (and certainly not unprecedented)....

* Since the end of WWII, there have been about 25,000 days
    * From memory, the pound has been this low for about 100 of those days.
    * Yes, it's significant.

• Options
    I went to my first Lib Dem meeting this evening. Obviously a lot of disappointment about the referendum result, but lots of new blood and huge optimism about the next general election. The assumption is that Labour will continue to tear itself to pieces over the next couple of years, while the Conservatives will have to own the inevitable Brexit recession. This will leave a gaping hole in the middle for the Lib Dems to fill and attract those who voted Remain or wish they'd voted Remain as well as Labour refugees. It's a great time to be a liberal!
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

I went to my first Lib Dem meeting this evening. Obviously a lot of disappointment about the referendum result, but lots of new blood and huge optimism about the next general election. The assumption is that Labour will continue to tear itself to pieces over the next couple of years, while the Conservatives will have to own the inevitable Brexit recession. This will leave a gaping hole in the middle for the Lib Dems to fill and attract those who voted Remain or wish they'd voted Remain as well as Labour refugees. It's a great time to be a liberal!

Some advice would be to target those seats with high proportions of graduates like Bath, Cambridge, Cheltenham, Edinburgh West.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Some advice would be to target those seats with high proportions of graduates like Bath, Cambridge, Cheltenham, Edinburgh West.
    Yes especially those Labour seats you used to hold, like Hornsey and wood green and other seats in London.

There is hope for the lib dems where they used to do well if u look at the Scottish Parliament fptp results.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,288
    Indigo said:
    Boris obviously turned him down in favour of Theresa.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,856

Indigo said:
    Boris obviously turned him down in favour of Theresa.
    Finally showing judgment.....

On the Boris/Davis appointments - I hope they rise to the occasion - both have a lot to prove - one has his eye on the top job - and have seen from Gove what happens to back stabbers - so I expect them to be on their best behaviour for the first couple of years at least....
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,856
    Point at Labour & Laugh NEW THREAD
This discussion has been closed.