Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » On a momentous day in British politics the latest PB/Pollin

SystemSystem Posts: 11,688
edited July 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » On a momentous day in British politics the latest PB/Polling Matters TV Show

politicalbetting.com is proudly powered by WordPress
with "Neat!" theme. Entries (RSS) and Comments (RSS).

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    First, like May!
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Probably nowhere, like Osborne.....
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    Third like Labour.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822
    Back of the (Job) queue for Boy George! :smiley:
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    Fourteenth like the Lib Dems.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,487
    FPT - for my friend Brookie

You'll miss him.

Once I've recovered, I shall write a weekend thread just for, it is headlined

'After telling you to lay Osborne as next Tory leader, I'm telling you to now BACK Osborne as next Tory leader, and here's why'
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,296
    FPT
    PlatoSaid said:

Arthur S
    The last Foreign Secretary to be promoted from the backbenches was Sir John Simon in November 1931.

He was a party leader (Liberal National) and ex-Attorney General and Home Secretary. He was not a 'backbencher'.

More seriously, what was Eden before his appointment?

And well down the list like UKIP.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    William Hill have finally settled the next PM and Osborne quit markets.

Cheers everyone
  • Options
    Charles said:

RobD said:

Expect a big kerfuffle about a new hereditary peerage in the Resignation Honours...

Blimey!
    Would have to be a speaker or a ex PM by recent precedent

Cameron or Bercow or Blair...?

(suspect that Gorbals Mick and Gordon Brown wouldn't be interested, and Callaghan is past caring, while it doesn't strike me as Major's style).

David Cameron, Earl of Whitney?
    I would have though it could only be Major? Maybe he enjoyed his time in the campaign, and wants to get back into the politics game?
  • Options
    John_M said:

Fourteenth like the Lib Dems.

Expectations management!
  • Options
    @TSE

Was that story about a hosepipe and a melon a rather odd euphemism, a very strange game, a dare or just something I don't want to know about?
  • Options
    FPT - For ydoethur

Before Eden became Foreign Secretary, he was Secretary of State for War
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    After telling you to lay Osborne as next Tory leader, I'm telling you to now BACK Osborne as next Tory leader, and here's why'
    Most likely to lead the coup against May...
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Scott_P said:

Cheers everyone

Kerching wednesday
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822
    Scott_P said:

Cheers everyone

Osborne didn't "quit" he was sacked!
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Osborne didn't "quit" he was sacked!

Still paid out :)
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

@TSE

Was that story about a hosepipe and a melon a rather odd euphemism, a very strange game, a dare or just something I don't want to know about?

It's before the lagershed,
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

@TSE

You don't want to know. Move right along sir, nothing to see here.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    GIN1138 said:

Revenge is a dish best served cold.
  • Options
    @SimonNRicketts: Andrea Leadsom and Michael Gove currently turning their phones on and off and saying “You got a signal? I have three bars."
  • Options

FPT - For ydoethur

Before Eden became Foreign Secretary, he was Secretary of State for War

That was his second spell (of three). But I've checked and he was Lord Privy Seal before 1935.
  • Options

You'll miss him.
    'After telling you to lay Osborne as next Tory leader, I'm telling you to now BACK Osborne as next Tory leader, and here's why'

Poor old TSE it seems that you are in a state of shock. You may need to go into a dark room with a wet towel.
    REMAIN lose
    Cameron gone
    and now your idol Osborne completely fu**ed.
    oh and your "mate" Andrew Cooper's firm produces one of the worst voting forecasts we have ever seen!!!!!!!!!

As taffys FPT said:
    I am musing on Osborne's pre-referendum question...
    Are you going to campaign for LEAVE or would you like a career?
    HMMMN
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Revenge is a dish best served cold.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nXGPZaTKik
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798
    edited July 2016
    hunchman said:

John_M said:

https://twitter.com/Independent/status/753309213024190464

Yes, because we all love referendums. Waiting for Angela to promise two.

Wow some honest politics disregarding the will of the people!
    I think asking the people again would be doomed to failure for Remainers, and I see no point in asking for a referendum on a Brexit deal (which despite idiots conflating the two - a rerun and a vote on a Brexit deal - are not the same), but if the people did vote differently in a second one it would not be disregarding the will of the people, since the people's will would have just have been demonstrated to be different. Now, I don't think it would be, and if it was different nothing would prevent someone else promising to go for yet another referendum to go for Leave again, and it's very very hard to justify why we should be asked again, but if one happened because a Labour party promising another vote won a GE (and he could only promise one if he did indeed win a GE), what it would not be is disregarding the will of the people - because the will would have obviously changed dramatically.

Another reason May will be urged to declare article 50 before any new GE, to avoid just such a risk, but it's not a big risk in any case.
  • Options
    As May has created 2 new SoS, I'm wondering if she might cut some departments elsewhere.

International development subsumed into FCO?
    BIS split up with skills going back to education?
    if she's very brave merging the Scotland, Wales and NI offices.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Cheers everyone

Not before time ...... my biggest wins of the year.

Btw Speaking about Hills coughing up, do we know yet who won the PB.com EU Referendum competition almost three weeks ago?
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    I've been thinking hard and I can't come up with anyone who went straight from backbenches to the Foreign Office (excluding opposition spokesmen joining the government) since Canning in 1822. And he was in disgrace after a duel with Castlereagh, and had previously been in Cabinet.

I'm wondering if Boris is unprecedented among MPs (there have I think been some Lords) in having Foreign Secretary as his first cabinet post. Derby's 1852 ministry? Not sure who was FS or even if there was one.

Edit - Malmesbury who was a peer.
  • Options
    Anyway, I have to leave you all, has been a very depressing day today, a lot of people I've gotten to know, like, and admire have lost their jobs today, and I'm in a right grumpy mood because of it and no amount of winnings compensates for that.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    If Owen Smith campaigns on the promise of a 2nd referendum I can definitely envisage Corbyn winning and the good Labour leavers of Pontypridd deselecting him. A fitting end to his 2 minute political career.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,319

As May has created 2 new SoS, I'm wondering if she might cut some departments elsewhere.

International Development has been re- jigged with Liam Fox as secretary of state
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Iain
    So Cabinet will be back to twice a week like under Mrs Thatcher - this is a hands on Prime Minister who wants to know what is going on
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    ydoethur said:

I've been thinking hard and I can't come up with anyone who went straight from backbenches to the Foreign Office (excluding opposition spokesmen joining the government) since Canning in 1822. And he was in disgrace after a duel with Castlereagh, and had previously been in Cabinet.

I'm wondering if Boris is unprecedented among MPs (there have I think been some Lords) in having Foreign Secretary as his first cabinet post. Derby's 1852 ministry? Not sure who was FS or even if there was one.

Boris being Mayor of London was a significant role though, so not really a backbencher.

• Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746

International Development going back into the FCO sounds likely. I doubt the money will follow though.
  • Options

Anyway, I have to leave you all, has been a very depressing day today, a lot of people I've gotten to know, like, and admire have lost their jobs today, and I'm in a right grumpy mood because of it and no amount of winnings compensates for that.

Please tell me you're not talking about Dave and George.
  • Options

International Development has been re- jigged with Liam Fox as secretary of state
    Really?
    I could see sense in also merging climate, environment, energy etc.
    Also end all these extras attending cabinet.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,758

You'll miss him.

No really I wont.

I dont expect much in truth but at least were in with a chance as opposed to guaranteed shitkicking death under Osborne

on the other hand I feel a bit sad seeing Dave go, i was never vitriolic to him ( bar the Obama bit ) and feel he could have achieved much more if he only had his priorities right.

Mrs M gets the benefit of the doubt for the next 12 months and if she delivers on the important bits, I could almost vote Tory again*

* though Richard Nabavi will almost certainly put me off :-)
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

People were saying all the political advisors in No 10 had gone.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

Well thank god for that. No 10 can just look at this site if they want to know whats going to happen.
  • Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469
    Is the setting up of a minister of state to leave the EU the same as the 1976 appointment of The minister for drought?
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807

My sympathies. Bring back Dave and Ozzy. All is forgiven.
  • Options

I thought he was international trade?
  • Options
    MontyHallMontyHall Posts: 226
    Pulpstar said:

Local Oxfam closed?
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,319
    John Mann making a good point that the new Brexiteer appointments to cabinet makes it very difficult for Corbyn to shadow the ministries
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

Well thank god for that. No 10 can just look at this site if they want to know whats going to happen.
    Well fair enough, but on a personal level it can be difficult!
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

You'll miss him.

No really I wont.

I dont expect much in truth but at least were in with a chance as opposed to guaranteed shitkicking death under Osborne

on the other hand I feel a bit sad seeing Dave go, i was never vitriolic to him ( bar the Obama bit ) and feel he could have achieved much more if he only had his priorities right.

Mrs M gets the benefit of the doubt for the next 12 months and if she delivers on the important bits, I could almost vote Tory again*

* though Richard Nabavi will almost certainly put me off :-)

Now your pin up hate figures have gone, you will have to find new targets, meanwhile George will be plotting.. LOL
  • Options

Eagles

tomorrow is another day, tough times for you I know but other side of the weekend life kicks off anew

best wishes
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Cheers everyone

Btw Speaking about Hills coughing up, do we know yet who won the PB.com EU Referendum competition almost three weeks ago?
    I also managed to get £400+ profit out of the Leadership bets but Leadsom's sudden departure still cost me extra profits.... just being greedy!
  • Options
    Who were the original Cameron crew?
    Cameron, Osborne, Gove, Maude, Boles. Who else?
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831

John Mann making a good point that the new Brexiteer appointments to cabinet makes it very difficult for Corbyn to shadow the ministries

We do have another Labour reshuffle to look forward to after tomorrow.

More popcorn needed
  • Options
    timmo said:

Is the setting up of a minister of state to leave the EU the same as the 1976 appointment of The minister for drought?

Well, it's clearly very temporary - 2 years, indeed. So it makes sense to give it to a 67-year old for whom it can be the final act of a political career with nothing left to come for the person who does it. Fox or Boris would always be intriguing to get another job when it was finished and would not be suitable.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,730
    FPT: Expect a big kerfuffle about a hereditary peerage

Was there something about George Osborne being in line for an Irish peerage? Vague and probably faulty recall.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Was there something about George Osborne being in line for an Irish peerage? Vague and probably faulty recall.

He's an heir to an Irish baronetcy, as tim used to love to remind us.
  • Options

I had the pleasure of seeing Maude in action. Excellent. Very underrated in my view.
  • Options
    hunchmanhunchman Posts: 2,591
    FPT:

TCPoliticalBetting said:
    » show previous quotes
    I expect Mrs May has set out the level of involvement of Mr Werritty as being just a xmas card.
    And neither should Poju Zabludowicz, although he conducts his affairs under the name Chaim Zabludowicz:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2011/oct/14/liam-fox-final-straw-was-money-trail
  • Options
    John Mann good value on twitter - Not a fan of either Corbyn or Smith I think.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    ydoethur said:

Edit - Malmesbury who was a peer.

Lord Malmesbury.

Who? Who?
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    Am happy that Cameron, Clegg and Osborne are yesterday's men.
  • Options
    Well I was pro May but unless she is being too clever by half this is one of the worst reshuffles I have ever seen. Three massive egos in a guillotined foreign office (Fox, Boris, and Double D) is a recipe for chaos. Boris will be okay on the gladhanding abroad, speaks French and Italian and the language of jiggy-jiggy, but that's about it.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,259

Scott_P said:

Cheers everyone

I also managed to get £400+ profit out of the Leadership bets but Leadsom's sudden departure still cost me extra profits.... just being greedy!
    Yes, it's been a winning week so far my end.
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

Well I was pro May but unless she is being too clever by half this is one of the worst reshuffles I have ever seen. Three massive egos in a guillotined foreign office (Fox, Boris, and Double D) is a recipe for chaos. Boris will be okay on the gladhanding abroad, speaks French and Italian and the language of jiggy-jiggy, but that's about it.

John Mann said she made sure the three trouble makers would be sent abroad for a lot of the time.
  • Options

That would be true anyway - there are only about 10 people left in the Shadow Cabinet!
  • Options
    May's got an enemy on the backbenches. He's quite unlikeable (And still young) but he will scheme and scheme and scheme :p
  • Options
    DaveDaveDaveDave Posts: 76
    May's speech doesn't really inspire.
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

That would be true anyway - there are only about 10 people left in the Shadow Cabinet!
    Give them all to Diane. She has broad shoulders.
  • Options
    DaveDaveDaveDave Posts: 76
    Hope she has some training
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Spare a thought for Gove .... ok, perhaps not .... :smile:

Boris is Foreign Secretary tonight whilst Brutus is left on the scaffold overnight waiting for May to pull the lever.

Heart of stone ....
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    John_M said:

Jobabob said:

Give them all to Diane. She has broad shoulders.
    He's already given it all to Diane.
  • Options
    I am willing to forgive May everything so far - including BloJo (sic) - if she sacks Morgan and replaces her with absolutely anyone who is sane, intelligent and will hammer the useless berks at DfES and OFSTED.

That would make up for a lot, but I have a horrible feeling Morgan will survive even though she was appointed for gender tokenism reasons to start with.
  • Options
    2011 Cabinet

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8675705.stm

Lansley was a big figure early on. Pickles and Hague too.
  • Options
    Off topic, second referendum policy smart move by Owen Smith. I personally don't agree with idea but could be catnip to a very Europhile membership (Lab members 90% Remain) and is a trap for Corbyn (a eurosceptic). Clever.
  • Options
    JackW said:

Spare a thought for Gove..

I'm quite happy to spare thoughts for Gove. Very much along the lines of @Alanbrooke's thoughts on Osborne, however...
  • Options

Sorry to hear that. Brexit related?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

JackW said:

I'm quite happy to spare thoughts for Gove. Very much along the lines of @Alanbrooke's thoughts on Osborne, however...
    He might keep his current job.

• Options
    deleted
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

I am willing to forgive May everything so far - including BloJo (sic) - if she sacks Morgan and replaces her with absolutely anyone who is sane, intelligent and will hammer the useless berks at DfES and OFSTED.

That would make up for a lot, but I have a horrible feeling Morgan will survive even though she was appointed for gender tokenism reasons to start with.

I am hearing that Greening is heading to a new beefed-up Education department (that will take back control of universities etc from the now defunct BIS)
  • Options

2011 Cabinet

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8675705.stm

Lansley was a big figure early on. Pickles and Hague too.

Pickles continues to have a big figure :wink:
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

May's got an enemy on the backbenches. He's quite unlikeable (And still young) but he will scheme and scheme and scheme :p

Yep. She may regret that. By the way Ozzy is actually said to be a nice guy and easy to get along with in "real life". His acolytes are loyal.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

JackW said:

ding dong
    the wicked george is dead :-)
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I'm sure there'll be time between all that for coke and hookers and sunday newspaper exclusives.

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

And the coup plotters in the Labour backbenches will squeam and squeam and squeam.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,984
    FF43 said:

As I said earlier. If you wanted to cause maximum mischief with Labour give it to Blair now...
  • Options

ydoethur said:

I am hearing that Greening is heading to a new beefed-up Education department (that will take back control of universities etc from the now defunct BIS)
    Yes! Yes! Please! I'll take it...
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

Pulpstar said:

Yep. She may regret that. By the way Ozzy is actually said to be a nice guy and easy to get along with in "real life". His acolytes are loyal.
    FUCK OFF AND JOIN THE TORIES JAB !
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    Pulpstar said:

Is he a fan of anyone? Seems like a very angry man from what i've seen of him so far.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913

Fine if you focus on the personalities, in terms of politics though May's speech tonight could have come straight from a Cameroonian moderniser, a Lib Dem or a Labour Blairite.

I also suspect Fox, Johnson & Davis are in the cabinet to ensure they can't dodge responsibility for the betrayal that is coming when we agree to continued freedom of movement and continued payment into the EU budget courtesy of EFTA/EEA.
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

Pulpstar said:

His acolytes were loyal when he had the power of patronage. He's yesterday's man now. They'll be looking for a new patron.

• Options
    edited July 2016

Sorry to hear that. Brexit related?
    Kinda, they all work in SW1A and nearby
  • Options

ydoethur said:

By force of arms?
  • Options
    Blimey. That's a huge chunk of my adult life.

Giles Wilkes ‏@Gilesyb 1h1 hour ago
    It has been 24 years since one of Gordon Brown or George Osborne has not been Chancellor or Shadow Chancellor.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    edited July 2016
    DaveDave said:

May's speech doesn't really inspire.

She can't fake sincerity. And she just reads a (recycled) preachy, smug speech.

I can't see her doing well, in the sense of the voters 'taking' to her.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Is he a fan of anyone? Seems like a very angry man from what i've seen of him so far.
    He's proper blue collar old Labour. He's got every right to be angry.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    Good heavens, just got back from t'meeting to find my wife laughing like a hyena. She had just seen that Boris Johnson, a man of no ministerial experience and with a known aversion to detail and hard work has been appointed Foreign Secretary. Not only that but David Davis, not a team player, has been appointed SoS for Brexit and Liam Fox, who made a complete pig's breakfast of it last time they let him loose in government, has been given international trade.

Leave aside the personalities we now have three separate departments which on the face of it have overlapping responsibilities and interests, to say nothing of the BIS. That is a recipe for one glorious Civil Service interdepartmental war. Now factor back in the personalities FCO head (no experience of government, lazy), Brexit head (not a team player, no government experience), International Trade (incompetent). This has the makings of a major clusterfuck. What has our new PM done?

Amber "clueless, spout my brief" Rudd at the Home Office pales by comparison.

Osborne has gone though, which I suppose we should be grateful for.
  • Options

It has been 24 years since one of Gordon Brown or George Osborne has not been Chancellor or Shadow Chancellor.

John Smith and Norman Lamont, summer 1992.

I was nine.
  • Options

yes hugely sad

can we now have a CoE who worries about the economy and not patronage
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

Off topic, second referendum policy smart move by Owen Smith. I personally don't agree with idea but could be catnip to a very Europhile membership (Lab members 90% Remain) and is a trap for Corbyn (a eurosceptic). Clever.

Not if the choice is between Brexit Lite and 100% Out.
  • Options
    @MiriamElder: State Dept spox almost loses it after hearing Boris Johnson named foreign secretary https://t.co/omPoCP6Vaa
  • Options

Good heavens, just got back from t'meeting to find my wife laughing like a hyena. She had just seen that Boris Johnson, a man of no ministerial experience and with a known aversion to detail and hard work has been appointed Foreign Secretary. Not only that but David Davis, not a team player, has been appointed SoS for Brexit and Liam Fox, who made a complete pig's breakfast of it last time they let him loose in government, has been given international trade.

Leave aside the personalities we now have three separate departments which on the face of it have overlapping responsibilities and interests, to say nothing of the BIS. That is a recipe for one glorious Civil Service interdepartmental war. Now factor back in the personalities FCO head (no experience of government, lazy), Brexit head (not a team player, no government experience), International Trade (incompetent). This has the makings of a major clusterfuck. What has our new PM done?

Amber "clueless, spout my brief" Rudd at the Home Office pales by comparison.

Osborne has gone though, which I suppose we should be grateful for.

It seems that BIS is gone. Education takes back Universities and Skills and Fox taking on the Trade side of things in the new Department for International Trade
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Fan of people who aren't muppets I think.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

Ah, but those who live by the SPAD, die by the SPAD....

(....that probably hasn't made you feel any better, has it?)
  • Options

Jobabob said:

Pulpstar said:

FUCK OFF AND JOIN THE TORIES JAB !
    Which ale have you have several pints of Alan? I'm always keen on recommendations!
This discussion has been closed.