Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Corbyn v Eagle will decide whether LAB continues to be a pa

123457»

Comments

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,054
    edited July 2016
    RobD said:

kle4 said:

pbr2013 said:

AndyJS said:

David Cameron is no longer leader of the Conservative Party.

Actually, I will miss Dave a bit. Why did he do it?
    He didn't have the strength to resist calls for a referendum , then wasn't up to the task of selling what he got from the EU. If he had to do it again, and couldn't avoid a vote, I imagine he would have risked another migrant crisis and Greek crisis and taken longer trying to force a deal.

Despite Brexit, I will miss the coalition.
    You like coalition government? Filthy neutral scum.

:D
    I like having no strong opinions on things - this EU stuff has been exhausting! I don't know how fanatics find the energy.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    The fact that Eagle and Smith weren't able to come to an agreement doesn't look good from an anti-Corbynista point of view, (even if an STV system is being used).
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956
    RobD said:

Mortimer said:

RobD said:

I wonder of May will take soundings from her new Cabinet regarding a snap GE. Surely it is more likely now she was coronated?

CROWNED!!!!!
    :p I knew that would illicit such a reaction.
    It is the most annoying element of this end to the election. You are not the first and won't be the last Rob!
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    Excited by Smith.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

I am fascinated by this slide in consumer confidence. Where is it happening? The markets have been a bit squirrelly but they usually are. PMIs were a bit crap but they have been sinking gently for months (referendum or no we were always going to have a down turn in or around 2017). However, "Consumer confidence is dropping like a stone" as per Surbiton or even a "slide", can't see much sign of that.

Look here, for example:

http://www.hl.co.uk/news/2016/7/8/brexit-prompts-biggest-drop-in-uk-consumer-confidence-in-21-years
    Thank you, Richard. You will not be very popular over here if you come up with these.
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    Moses_ said:

Wonder if someone could advise me here?

My daughter has funding for a PHD and has been offered a place at a red brick uni to complete this. She has formally accepted and the university have acknowledged that acceptance Lecturers in the department gave sent her congratulatory Emails and stating really looking forward to the research. Her appointed mentors have said to her get started now doing background work even though you start in early October. This my daughter has been doing. The university has now emailed her saying they have amended the conditions and they need her transcript o result from the MSC. The problem is that doesn't meet the new conditions and a further problem is that the results on the transcript are incorrect as my daughter had higher marks. We have told student office , emailed them without luck and we are now seeking interviews with them and the uni administration

Firstly can a university offer a place and then withdraw when they have changed conditions months later and well after the offer was made and acceptance. I consider that to be a contract in place and agreed

1) How the hell do you get anything changed in a uni when's it incorrect and the student office has made a catastrophic error. It's their own document that shows the error clearly. We have been trying to change this since MSC results were given out.

2) If nothing resolved who should e go to the chancellor ? Dean? To press the case.

3) My daughter has done nothing wrong achieved the grades before and even after new conditions and is now again being made unwell by this incredible stress now placed on her.

Any thoughts help would be appreciated because as we all know there is a huge amount riding on an admin mistake. That mistake exacerbated due to a post change of the acceptance conditions which I think is not only unfair but possibly a breach of the original contract of acceptance.

Help !!

Utterly impossible to advise without seeing the documents, but if there has been offer and acceptance as a lawyer would understand it, then yes, you have a contract. There's the office of the independent adjudicator http://www.oiahe.org.uk/ but they won't look at admissions issues and it looks arguable whether this is an admissions issue or not. There's also solicitors who I think will give you a free half hour consultation which might be enough to clarify the position usefully.
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807
    surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

@alantravis40: Now heard two Westminster sources tipping James Brokenshire as next home secretary - May's capable immigration and security minister

Some with a "Broken" name will be fun for the newspapers.
    Minister for Local Government would be more apt
  • Options
    RobD said:

Mortimer said:

RobD said:

I wonder of May will take soundings from her new Cabinet regarding a snap GE. Surely it is more likely now she was coronated?

CROWNED!!!!!
    ELICIT!!!!!
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    Ishmael_X said:

RobD said:

Mortimer said:

RobD said:

CROWNED!!!!!
    ELICIT!!!!!
    Now that was a genuine booboo. LOL.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,472
    We should be grateful to the parties for synchronising today's announcements so precisely. After the non-stop roller coaster of the past few weeks, had there been an interlude without any leadership contest underway we would all have been at risk of serious cold turkey.
  • Options
    LowlanderLowlander Posts: 941
    AndyJS said:

The fact that Eagle and Smith weren't able to come to an agreement doesn't look good from an anti-Corbynista point of view, (even if an STV system is being used).

It also smells like Argclu is getting Johson'd.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    I've just had another look at Eagle's launch stuff - it really is Brexit meets the pink Labour lady bus in terms of design isn't it ?
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461
    kle4 said:

RobD said:

kle4 said:

pbr2013 said:

AndyJS said:

He didn't have the strength to resist calls for a referendum , then wasn't up to the task of selling what he got from the EU. If he had to do it again, and couldn't avoid a vote, I imagine he would have risked another migrant crisis and Greek crisis and taken longer trying to force a deal.

Despite Brexit, I will miss the coalition.
    You like coalition government? Filthy neutral scum.

:D
    I like having no strong opinions on things - this EU stuff has been exhausting! I don't know how fanatics find the energy.
    I liked the last coalition and would happily have seen it continue. I would probably have voted Tory anyway but project fear mk 1 got to me. the fear of the Labour/SNP coalition. that's one coalition I wouldn't have liked.
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245

MaxPB said:

Twitter awash with people quitting the Tories and joining UKIP today;UKIP site and phone lines crashing due to volume of new membership traffic. Banks says it's game on.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out!
    I was never in
    That much was obvious from your habit of swallowing whole any crap produced by UKIP.

I'm not sure why you and fellow travellers feel anybody cares when you loudly proclaim you are leaving, because to be frank, there's a good number of you I'd hold the door open for and wave you a fond farewell as you sulked away.

Closet kippers leaving, is a good thing.
  • Options
    Excellent thread, SO. Just take care, the only other person with the name Joff(rey) came to a sticky end when he got caught up in politics!
    I've been down a drift mine all day, so not had a chance to catch up on the news. Have I missed owt?
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited July 2016
    James Brokenshire as next home secretary (rumour)
    :smile: PMSL
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I've just had another look at Eagle's launch stuff - it really is Brexit meets the pink Labour lady bus in terms of design isn't it ?

But it tells us exactly who Argclu is!
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    surbiton said:

I am fascinated by this slide in consumer confidence. Where is it happening? The markets have been a bit squirrelly but they usually are. PMIs were a bit crap but they have been sinking gently for months (referendum or no we were always going to have a down turn in or around 2017). However, "Consumer confidence is dropping like a stone" as per Surbiton or even a "slide", can't see much sign of that.

Look here, for example:

http://www.hl.co.uk/news/2016/7/8/brexit-prompts-biggest-drop-in-uk-consumer-confidence-in-21-years
    Thank you, Richard. You will not be very popular over here if you come up with these.
    Why? Not everyone is sticking their heads in the sand and assuming everything is going to be fine and dandy. Part of the beauty of PB is getting to read things that are contrary to our own views and thoughts. The Internet is full of echo chambers; this site doesn't have to be the same.

We've been expecting a recession; that is usually presaged by a drop in business and consumer confidence. Or, at least, all the recessions that I've experienced have.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    edited July 2016
    AnneJGP said:

John_M said:

GIN1138 said:

PlatoSaid said:

On Brexit, Theresa May ally Damian Green says new PM "won't start the negotiations until early next year"

Into the long grass Brexit goes....

The Conservative Party is heading for disaster.
    It's going to be fine. We need to have the informal talks with the large countries first, outside of the spotlight.

We're leaving. We won't get everything we want, but we are leaving.
    Exactly, Mr. M.. Some people seem to expect that international diplomacy should happen in accordance with news cycles and in public. Well, it don't.

I am quite sure that the FCO people will have been having quiet conversations with all sorts of countries for weeks if not months. That is what embassies are for after all. Chats will be had, reports written, position papers prepared, all that has to happen before the politicians get involved and actual negotiations start. Very little of that work will ever appear in media and that does will be by selective leaks by one or more countries trying to exert influence by the back door.
    I'll confess my ignorance up-front, but it's the FCO that bothers me most. Everyone there will have spent their careers pursuing EU objectives. How can anyone be expected to do an about-turn like that? And when it's an entire organisation that needs to be turned round, well .....
    MS JGP, I fear there is much in what you say. You may have noticed how some regular posters on here have reacted to the referendum outcome. That will be trivial compared to some of the denizens of King Charles Street who will have seen the fundament of their life's work pulled out from under them. Furthermore, when the Civil Service wants to be obstructive, by the cringe, it can be obstructive.

You are right that at least chunks of the FCO need to be reset and some senior chunks too. That can only be done by a politician with the will, stamina and, if necessary ruthlessness, to do so. That is why for the good of the country as well as her own administration the new PM needs to appoint the correct person to be the next Foreign Secretary.

The new SoS for Foreign and Commonwealth affairs is going to have a big, grown-up job to do. Putting a political animal like Osborne in charge of it will really be a disaster.

P.S. The FCO is also very good at house-training its ministers - see the history of the UK vis-a-vis the EEC/EC/EU over the last 60 years for evidence
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,977
    Lowlander said:

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

@JeremyCliffe: Only Labour could have two "unity candidates" for leader https://t.co/7y3sz4jCxp

I don't understand this one candidate nonsense. The Labour leader is not elected on FPTP.

As long as Corbyn does not get second votes it will be fine. But this is the Labour party, so it is undoubtedly the case he will get loads of transfers.

More seriously, a range of candidates taking Corbyn on in hustings and, hopefully, on TV may sway a few votes against him. The main point of my article remains the same: if Corbyn wins, Labour moves its focus to outside Parliament and so becomes increasingly irrelevant. If he loses, it's a long, hard road back; but there is a road.

Whichever way you look at it, Labour is splitting. The fault lies with people like Margaret Beckett who lent Corbyn her name in nominating him.

In all probability Corbyn will win again, so yes. But if by some miracle he loses I wouldn't categorise a load of Trots and Stalinists slinking off to the Greens as a split.

And the great irony is that it's another example of Labour's subsequent demise which has been made much much worse by the Blair years. They had the mandate and the majority to bring in PR and they balked at the chance.

Holding a left coalition together is always harder than a right coalition and this was well known and the seeds around the world were already demonstrating the likelihood (and they had already suffered one split 15 years earlier). Stupid, stupid Labour.

Could not agree more. But self-interest killed PR off. Ironically, support for FPTP was strongest among Scottish Labour MPs who did not want to risk what they assumed were jobs for life. Then FPTP wiped them out.

• Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807
    nunu said:

kle4 said:

PlatoSaid said:

General Election
    Todays ICM Poll

Aged 18-24 (65+)

Labour 49% (21%)
    Conservatives 25% (51%)
    LibDems 10% (8%)
    UKIP 9% (15%)
    Greens 6% (1%)

Greens not popula among the oldies, who'd have guessed.
    not that popular amongst the young either not that it matters they don't vote.
    The Greens are unpopular with the old, out of favour with the young, distinctly unfancied by those in middle age and somewhat unattractive to those in their prime.
  • Options
    Lowlander said:

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

@JeremyCliffe: Only Labour could have two "unity candidates" for leader https://t.co/7y3sz4jCxp

I don't understand this one candidate nonsense. The Labour leader is not elected on FPTP.

As long as Corbyn does not get second votes it will be fine. But this is the Labour party, so it is undoubtedly the case he will get loads of transfers.

More seriously, a range of candidates taking Corbyn on in hustings and, hopefully, on TV may sway a few votes against him. The main point of my article remains the same: if Corbyn wins, Labour moves its focus to outside Parliament and so becomes increasingly irrelevant. If he loses, it's a long, hard road back; but there is a road.

Whichever way you look at it, Labour is splitting. The fault lies with people like Margaret Beckett who lent Corbyn her name in nominating him.

In all probability Corbyn will win again, so yes. But if by some miracle he loses I wouldn't categorise a load of Trots and Stalinists slinking off to the Greens as a split.

And the great irony is that it's another example of Labour's subsequent demise which has been made much much worse by the Blair years. They had the mandate and the majority to bring in PR and they balked at the chance.

Holding a left coalition together is always harder than a right coalition and this was well known and the seeds around the world were already demonstrating the likelihood (and they had already suffered one split 15 years earlier). Stupid, stupid Labour.
    Exactly. The same name keeps cropping up. But the War Criminal got too greedy. He thought [ of course, he knew ] that Labour were the New Tories.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002

James Brokenshire as next home secretary

Is that confirmed or ?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,010
    Mr. Odin, welcome to pb.com.

In Corbynworld, every week is Cuba Week :D
  • Options
    LBC reporting that Labour's NEC tomorrow will receive two conflicting pieces of legal advice on the Corbyn nominations issue.

Thus it will be a political decision.

Despite reports of Corbyn's apparent majority on the NEC, I still can't see what the rebels are up to if they aren't expecting they have the votes to rule Corbyn off the ballot paper.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    I can't go away for a few hours of country air and that wretched Andrea pulls up anchor and leaves me becalmed. :(
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Is that confirmed or ?
    rumour.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,075
    Lowlander said:

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

The big mistake was Blair not demoting Brown from chancellor in 2001. All Labour's woes come down to Brown and his filthy acolytes; some of whom are still present in Labour.

I wonder how he really feels? He traded away the party he loves for a solitary three years as PM.
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,045
    surbiton said:

Twitter awash with people quitting the Tories and joining UKIP today;UKIP site and phone lines crashing due to volume of new membership traffic. Banks says it's game on.

How many Twitter accounts does Plato have ?
    LOL!
  • Options

Lowlander said:

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

Could not agree more. But self-interest killed PR off. Ironically, support for FPTP was strongest among Scottish Labour MPs who did not want to risk what they assumed were jobs for life. Then FPTP wiped them out.

Short-sightedness would be more apt. When in power it is hard for politicians to imagine a different world.
  • Options
    Maidenhead currently has the second largest Tory majority in the country after North East Hampshire. 2015 result:

Con 65.8%
    Lab 11.9%
    LD 9.9%
    UKIP 8.4%
    Green 3.6%
  • Options
    MikeK said:

I can't go away for a few hours of country air and that wretched Andrea pulls up anchor and leaves me becalmed. :(

Clearly she wasn't the one. Chin up.
  • Options
    edited July 2016

Lowlander said:

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

Yes, that true. There will be another split which I might welcome. I have supported this split. SLAB and EWLAB should be like CDU /CSU [ not ideologicaly ]. Separate conferences, separate party. In fact, we already have this with the SDLP. Then SLAB can slowly start getting back the Central Scotland seats. SNP will be distracted as they will also have to keep the Tartan Tories happy.
  • Options

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

Surely the Greens are too right-wing for the Trots and Stalinists.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    edited July 2016

Excellent thread, SO. Just take care, the only other person with the name Joff(rey) came to a sticky end when he got caught up in politics!
    I've been down a drift mine all day, so not had a chance to catch up on the news. Have I missed owt?

Didn't Joff(rey) choke to death after drinking poisoned wine after a dubious slice of his favourite cake? Oh, that was GOT? Who's to know the difference.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Lowlander said:

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

Yes, that true. There will be another split which I might welcome. I have supported this split. SLAB and EWLAB should be like CDU /CSU [ not ideologicaly ]. Separate conferences, separate party. In fcat, we already have this with the SDLP. Then SLAB can slowly start getting back the Central Scotland seats. SNP will be distracted as they will also have to keep the Tartan Tories happy.
    I'll Save Nats The trouble.:

Labour no hope donkeys etc
  • Options
    MikeK said:

Her team says it was the "abuse" she suffered that brought her campaign to an end.
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited July 2016
    MaxPB said:

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

And Ed Miliband for fucking up the leadership election process.
    Just imagine what Ed M would have been like as PM when he could not even think through the revised leadership rules properly.............
    :astonished:
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    Apologies if this has already been posted, but now looking significantly more grim for the PLP and wider Labour party?

Twitter
    George Eaton ‏@georgeeaton 36m36 minutes ago
    Tom Watson to PLP meeting: "For years I've been told that I'm a fixer. Well, I've tried to fix this and I've failed."

George Eaton ‏@georgeeaton 32m32 minutes ago
    Watson also told PLP: "I've got my own mandate but if I lost your confidence I would resign, and Jeremy should have done."

• Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185
    What I find funniest about the Labour civil war is that Corbyn's supporters truly and heartily believe that they can find 150+ people to bring in as MP's in short order to replace the evil Blairites. They can just snap their fingers and find them, and they would all be acceptable to the electorate, have no skeletons in their closet and no dodgy allies waiting to be discovered and published in the evil MSM.
  • Options
    Am I right in thinking that Cameron was, aside from Thatcher, the Conservative's longest-lasting leader since the 1930s?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

LBC reporting that Labour's NEC tomorrow will receive two conflicting pieces of legal advice on the Corbyn nominations issue.

Thus it will be a political decision.

Despite reports of Corbyn's apparent majority on the NEC, I still can't see what the rebels are up to if they aren't expecting they have the votes to rule Corbyn off the ballot paper.

Corbyn does not have a guaranteed majority. Hence, the putsch now before Conference and the new NEC.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956

Lowlander said:

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

The big mistake was Blair not demoting Brown from chancellor in 2001. All Labour's woes come down to Brown and his filthy acolytes; some of whom are still present in Labour.

I wonder how he really feels? He traded away the party he loves for a solitary three years as PM.
    Object lesson to put Osbo back on the backbenches?
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Time Magazine identifies the pressing question of the day:

https://twitter.com/TIME/status/752542980007989248
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

MikeK said:

Her team says it was the "abuse" she suffered that brought her campaign to an end.
    Where as the rest of us could clearly see that Leadsom simple couldn't cope with even a week of intense media scrutiny. Did Leadsom ever get around to releasing her tax return?
  • Options
    fitalass said:

Apologies if this has already been posted, but now looking significantly more grim for the PLP and wider Labour party?

Twitter
    Tom Watson to PLP meeting: "For years I've been told that I'm a fixer. Well, I've tried to fix this and I've failed."

Watson also told PLP: "I've got my own mandate but if I lost your confidence I would resign, and Jeremy should have done."

What's new ?
  • Options
    fitalass said:

AndyJS said:

MikeK said:

Where as the rest of us could clearly see that Leadsom simple couldn't cope with even a week of intense media scrutiny. Did Leadsom ever get around to releasing her tax return?
    Yep, it was on the Telegraph yesterday IIRC.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737

Am I right in thinking that Cameron was, aside from Thatcher, the Conservative's longest-lasting leader since the 1930s?

Churchill was leader 1940-1955.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    fitalass said:

AndyJS said:

MikeK said:

One year's worth. Though more of a summary than an actual return.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

And Ed Miliband for fucking up the leadership election process.
    Just imagine what Ed M would have been like as PM when he could not even think through the revised leadership rules properly.............
    :astonished:
    At least, we would still be in the EU !
  • Options
    Just heard Cameron's hum as he walked back into No 10. LOL.
  • Options

Look here, for example:

A massive lurch down but in a very narrow timeframe, June 30-July 5, when we were all at peak SeanT bremorse. The survey was a one-off designed to capture maximum brexit effect and "The firm’s regular June survey, conducted before the vote, suggested consumers were becoming gloomier even before the Brexit outcome" (from the link). Look at the index over 10 years here http://www.tradingeconomics.com/united-kingdom/consumer-confidence to assess the magnitude and importance of the shift in the overall scheme of things.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Lowlander said:

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

I don't think Osbo's been doing the hatchet job on rivals that Brown and his scum did. Just read autobiographies from the first Blair term: Brown was plotting and positioning himself even then. And it got worse.

If Osbo had, May would never have been able to stand for the leadership.

Brown was a terrible chancellor and a disastrous PM. The only thing he was good at was scheming to destroy rivals. And when he finally got the top job, he had no plan.

Incredible.
  • Options
    Right, having speed read the thread, to summarise:
    May is PM.
    Leadsom is dignified, a patriot, and an all round nice guy.
    Cameron, chuffed to bits that he can finally go, and secure in his legacy.
    Corbyn on the ballot.
    Corbyn off the ballot.
    Eagles. Who?
    Labour, still fecked.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Lowlander said:

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

You certainly should not put him out to charm foreign leaders!
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Lowlander said:

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

Would be a huge mistake to send Osborne to the backbenches, not only does he extensive experience of dealing with other EU finance Ministers, but he has built up many useful contacts. And lets face it, May wouldn't be in the position of party Leader and designated PM without the leg work of her predecessor and his most loyal senior colleague.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    This is interesting:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/michaellevin/mitt-romney-a-nation-turn_b_10864788.html

How plausible is it that Romney would be able to do this?
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

Churchill was leader 1940-1955.
    Thanks.

Faulty memory then. Again ... ;)
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763

Right, having speed read the thread, to summarise:
    May is PM.
    Leadsom is dignified, a patriot, and an all round nice guy.
    Cameron, chuffed to bits that he can finally go, and secure in his legacy.
    Corbyn on the ballot.
    Corbyn off the ballot.
    Eagles. Who?
    Labour, still fecked.

Southam has rejoined Labour

Labour = Spurs
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    fitalass said:

Twitter

Sounds like Watson is about to resign?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,072
    I am so learning how to fly a wingsuit this summer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EybMpT6n_Ow
  • Options

Lowlander said:

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

Labour had a substantial majority in England after 1997.
  • Options
    EdgwareJoelEdgwareJoel Posts: 26
    edited July 2016
    MikeK said:

Didn't Joff(rey) choke to death after drinking poisoned wine after a dubious slice of his favourite cake? Oh, that was GOT? Who's to know the difference.
    Do we know they are different people? Is "Wild" the equivalent of "Snow" for King's Landing? He wasn't really a Baratheon...
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    edited July 2016
    fitalass said:

Mortimer said:

Lowlander said:

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

Would be a huge mistake to send Osborne to the backbenches, not only does he extensive experience of dealing with other EU finance Ministers, but he has built up many useful contacts. And lets face it, May wouldn't be in the position of party Leader and designated PM without the leg work of her predecessor and his most loyal senior colleague.
    Mrs. Lass, First off nice to see you again. I haven't seen you on here for a while.

Anyway, your suggestion that we should keep Osborne because of his personal network of contacts makes, to me, as much sense as we should have made Philby chief of MI6 because of all the people he knew.
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    Lowlander said:

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

If Corbyn loses, and the Trots. and Leninists leave, please could someone direct them towards the SWP or Communist Party of Gt. Britain (Marxist Leninist)! The G.Party isn't very likely to want them. It's not a Communist party, in fact it has a lot of ex Lib.Dems. in it.

Or why don't they stand as Communist Party candidates to continue the traditions of the 20th.C?
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,090
    kle4 said:

surbiton said:

Lowlander said:

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

Yes, that true. There will be another split which I might welcome. I have supported this split. SLAB and EWLAB should be like CDU /CSU [ not ideologicaly ]. Separate conferences, separate party. In fcat, we already have this with the SDLP. Then SLAB can slowly start getting back the Central Scotland seats. SNP will be distracted as they will also have to keep the Tartan Tories happy.
    I'll Save Nats The trouble.:

Labour no hope donkeys etc
    Thanks KLE
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    RobD said:

Just heard Cameron's hum as he walked back into No 10. LOL.

I think it might be a wonky West Wing or just one of those times when you hum for effect
  • Options
    fitalass said:

Mortimer said:

Lowlander said:

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

Should be out the back door with her boot up his proverbial
  • Options
    Paul_BedfordshirePaul_Bedfordshire Posts: 3,632
    edited July 2016
    RobD said:

RobD said:

PlatoSaid said:

On Brexit, Theresa May ally Damian Green says new PM "won't start the negotiations until early next year"

Consistent with what she said about invoking Article 50 at Christmas.
    By when the real negotiations will have been concluded out of the public eye.
    A deal in under five months? Interesting!
    The deal is already there. We leave the EU and join EFTA/EEA.

All that has to be decided is what concessions on free movement they will agree and how much Danegeld (in membership fees higher per capita than Norway) that they will demand/we are prepared to pay in return.

Dosen't really take that long to agree behind closed doors then, after December or whenever, hold a few summits and everyone emerges triumphant. We get some bells and whistles on free movement stopping people coming over here to take un/low skilled work that isn't viable without housing benefit/tax credits/free NHS (unless their own country offers similar levels which exempts France Germany etc.) they still get much of our contribution which they can ill afford to lose and six months later then France and Germany see to it that EU will implement same free movement restrictions throughout the EU (without any reduction in payments by us of course).

We leave, set up our own trade deals outside the EU, carry on in EFTA and see what happens for a few years. If, in a decade or so EU is a much smaller portion of our trade, we have healthy agriculture, our seas are full of fish because we have replaced CAP/CFP with our own rules, we start handbagging for contribution reductions in the same way as Thatcher got our rebate. The won't want to lose all our contributions if they say no and we leave so will cave in.

Job done.
  • Options
    HaroldO said:

What I find funniest about the Labour civil war is that Corbyn's supporters truly and heartily believe that they can find 150+ people to bring in as MP's in short order to replace the evil Blairites. They can just snap their fingers and find them, and they would all be acceptable to the electorate, have no skeletons in their closet and no dodgy allies waiting to be discovered and published in the evil MSM.

Any jobcentre will be full of better candidates then the rubbish they have now
  • Options
    "I don't think Osbo's been doing the hatchet job on rivals that Brown and his scum did. Just read autobiographies from the first Blair term: Brown was plotting and positioning himself even then. And it got worse.

If Osbo had, May would never have been able to stand for the leadership.

Brown was a terrible chancellor and a disastrous PM. The only thing he was good at was scheming to destroy rivals. And when he finally got the top job, he had no plan.

Incredible."

@JosiasJessop It still amazes me that some of Osborne's opponents and many in media try to make that lazy comparison with Brown. Osborne never thought he was the man for the top job, he not only got behind Cameron, but then ran his successful Leadership campaign. And for over a decade, Osborne remained an extremely close and loyal colleague of Cameron's. And it is worth remembering that Osborne also appointed Carney who again proved his worth over the last few weeks.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Is that confirmed or ?
    rumour.
    Well he's become very adept at explaining diabolical immigration figures. Should be useful experience.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

fitalass said:

Twitter

Can't he wait until the day that the leader election finishes, so everything remains synchronised?
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

fitalass said:

Twitter

What about Falconer.

Will Gove stand for Labour leader too?
  • Options
    Paul_BedfordshirePaul_Bedfordshire Posts: 3,632
    edited July 2016
    AndyJS said:

pbr2013 said:

AndyJS said:

Why did he do what? Hold the referendum?
    The answer to that will be the large majority the Tories get at the next election - to lance the boil for once and all while the opposition were on their knees.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

pbr2013 said:

AndyJS said:

Why did he do what? Hold the referendum?
    The answer to that will be the large majority the Tories get at the next election - to lance the boil for once and all while the opposition were on their knees.
    You almost said "and soon their will be an election, in which [insert party here] will increase it's majority" :D
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatalities_due_to_wingsuit_flying

Includes, very sadly, the James Bond parachutist from the Olympics opening ceremony.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,028
    RodCrosby said:

fitalass said:

Twitter

It sounds like Angela rather rushed into things before everything was setup and ready to go.. Either that or Watson has screwed up with the NEC...
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    Does anybody know, will those people who paid £3 to vote in the last labour leadership election, automatically get a vote in this one? or will they have to pay again?

I would have thought it was a one-off, but because it is within a year I don't want to assume anything!
  • Options
    Why doesn't May make Osborne Brexit minister? It would put his dark arts / contacts to use there and away from domestic politics. He then owns the result. And when he's done say in recognition of your good work here's a peerage..
  • Options

Why doesn't May make Osborne Brexit minister? It would put his dark arts / contacts to use there and away from domestic politics. He then owns the result. And when he's done say in recognition of your good work here's a peerage..

Speaking of peerages.. will JohnO ever get his gong? Resignation honours coming right up!
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

Moses_ said:

Wonder if someone could advise me here?

Firstly can a university offer a place and then withdraw when they have changed conditions months later and well after the offer was made and acceptance. I consider that to be a contract in place and agreed

1) How the hell do you get anything changed in a uni when's it incorrect and the student office has made a catastrophic error. It's their own document that shows the error clearly. We have been trying to change this since MSC results were given out.

2) If nothing resolved who should e go to the chancellor ? Dean? To press the case.

3) My daughter has done nothing wrong achieved the grades before and even after new conditions and is now again being made unwell by this incredible stress now placed on her.

Any thoughts help would be appreciated because as we all know there is a huge amount riding on an admin mistake. That mistake exacerbated due to a post change of the acceptance conditions which I think is not only unfair but possibly a breach of the original contract of acceptance.

Help !!

Utterly impossible to advise without seeing the documents, but if there has been offer and acceptance as a lawyer would understand it, then yes, you have a contract. There's the office of the independent adjudicator http://www.oiahe.org.uk/ but they won't look at admissions issues and it looks arguable whether this is an admissions issue or not. There's also solicitors who I think will give you a free half hour consultation which might be enough to clarify the position usefully.
    I agree that in the first instance you should seek legal advice in terms of obtaining a preliminary opinion as regards the strength or otherwise of your daughter's particular case.
    The problem is that were you then to formally instruct solicitors to contest this on your behalf, there's every chance that this would result in a digging in of heels by the University authorities, far better to resolve this amicably if at all possible.
    Although the Independent Adjudicator may not be prepared to consider disputes relating to admissions, he/she may be able to at least advise you on the best way of taking this forward as a matter of urgency, by way of an appeal or whatever.
  • Options

Dark arts my butt, useless twonker more like. Get him as far away from anything as possible
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    Sky news interview on now,

Christine Shawcroft members rep on the NEC does not understand why a challenge to Corbyn is taking place given he got biggest mandate of any leader only 10 months ago. She states she will also vote tomorrow to ensure Corbyn is on the ballot.

Krypes make it stop...I just cannot eat anymore popcorn.
  • Options
    New Thread.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,006

Multiple applications from Plato?
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Dai Davis
    This is a really good blog. Just 14% of private sector employees are in a TU. Shocking how we've let this happen. https://t.co/h3zZAvtGiI
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    Ishmael_X said:

rcs1000 said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatalities_due_to_wingsuit_flying

Includes, very sadly, the James Bond parachutist from the Olympics opening ceremony.
    Or step up to Wingsuit Proximity Flying, for headbangers who feel throwing yourself of a cliff in bat suit isn't exciting enough. I fly ultralights, but a bat suit is a little too exciting for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4U6T_BB1N8
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    edited July 2016
  • Options

Lowlander said:

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

If Corbyn loses, and the Trots. and Leninists leave, please could someone direct them towards the SWP or Communist Party of Gt. Britain (Marxist Leninist)! The G.Party isn't very likely to want them. It's not a Communist party, in fact it has a lot of ex Lib.Dems. in it.

Or why don't they stand as Communist Party candidates to continue the traditions of the 20th.C?
    Wiki lists 8 Communist parties for the UK, who do those two stand out for you? The Left's ability to splinter is utterly amazing.
This discussion has been closed.