Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Corbyn v Eagle will decide whether LAB continues to be a pa

Comments

• Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    saddened said:

murali_s said:

Hit the nail on the head SO. Excellent piece.

I will also put my X against Angela Eagle (even though I think she's a lightweight) if it's a Corbyn vs Eagle choice.

Desperate, desperate times for progressive politics in this country.

You're worried about progressive politics on the day the Tories install the countries second female PM, while labour cowardice has seen them push a female stalking horse over a cliff
    Any female ? Why not Harriet, Yvette, Caroline..........et al
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,075
    PlatoSaid said:

Gosh, listening to Angela Eagle is painful, isnt it?

I actually tried to mimic her voice the other day and the nearest I managed involved speaking from the top of my throat. If she spoke from her chest or near her diaphragm - she'd sound totally different.
    A bit like a Kipper pretending to be a Tory ... :)
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807

A very well-written piece by Southam.

One minor point, though: there seems to be an assumption in the article that the choice is going to be Eagle or Corbyn, but others might fancy their chances as well. Indeed someone else who hasn't been actively involved in trying to dislodge Corbyn might have a better chance of beating him, if he stands. And if he doesn't or isn't able to stand, there would be even more room for other candidates.

Cough. Worth covering certain candidates on odds slightly longer than 20s. (Shields post from Shadsy for benefit of fellow PBers).
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    PlatoSaid said:

I actually tried to mimic her voice the other day and the nearest I managed involved speaking from the top of my throat. If she spoke from her chest or near her diaphragm - she'd sound totally different.
    Meanwhile it's rallies, poppadoms and a side dish of Abbott for Jez :D
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,413
    edited July 2016
    surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

The war is over, and yet still they fight on, like stranded Japanese soldiers in the jungle...

@IainDale: .@afneil @JohnRentoul Trade cannot possibly be Osborne. Has to be a Brexiter, as do Chancellor & Foreign Secretary IMHO.

Osborne could easily be Osborne
    I agree. It's the only role he's really well suited for.

I will shed no tears if he is excluded from the cabinet, which my iPhone autocorrected to canine.
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    surbiton said:

saddened said:

murali_s said:

I will also put my X against Angela Eagle (even though I think she's a lightweight) if it's a Corbyn vs Eagle choice.

You're worried about progressive politics on the day the Tories install the countries second female PM, while labour cowardice has seen them push a female stalking horse over a cliff
    You need to explain that response I'm afraid.
  • Options
    shiney2shiney2 Posts: 672

shiney2 said:

In the interests of balance, is there anyone who *doesn't* think Labour are doomed?

No they are not doomed.

I doubt anyone here excepting probably NP has ever tried to canvas votes in a Labour heartland seat. The attachment is emotional and familial with a strong dose of dependency.

Whoever owns the 'Labour Party' brand at the end of the current squabble will be one of the two parties of government in the UK. Comrade Jez is strategically correct to wait his enemies out.
    As it was for the Liberals a century ago...
    You may recall which brand crushed the Liberals..
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

Britain Firsters pretending to be moderates sound remarkably similar
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

PlatoSaid said:

At least I can now call Plato what she's called so many Tories she's disagreed with in the past: TINO!
  • Options
    Wonder if May might give Osborne her old job...
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

The war is over, and yet still they fight on, like stranded Japanese soldiers in the jungle...

@IainDale: .@afneil @JohnRentoul Trade cannot possibly be Osborne. Has to be a Brexiter, as do Chancellor & Foreign Secretary IMHO.

I will shed no tears if he is excluded from the cabinet, which my iPhone autocorrected to canine.
    My phone autocorrects europhile to urophile. I suggested to @paul_bedfordshire the other day that he had had a hand in programming it.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,382

Jobabob said:

PlatoSaid said:

At least I can now call Plato what she's called so many Tories she's disagreed with in the past: TINO!
    Whats TINO
  • Options

Jobabob said:

PlatoSaid said:

Whats TINO
    Tory in name only
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

Jobabob said:

PlatoSaid said:

Whats TINO
    Tory in name only
    Thanks - really should have guessed that
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,723
    Pulpstar said:

Minister for uncontrolled migration?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,602
    The one flip side of today is PB will finally be able to devote some time to the White House race.

In normal times we'd have a daily US thread, but the last White House thread was nearly six weeks ago.
  • Options
    MontyHallMontyHall Posts: 226
    Jobabob said:

MontyHall said:

Jobabob said:

MontyHall said:

ydoethur said:

MontyHall said:

Jobabob said:

Good to see Southam doing a lead piece and expanding our range of intelligent lead writers - surely one of the best in the political world.

SNIP

Incidentally, the problem with coronations is not that they result in a different choice, but that they don't get the membership buying into them. Corbyn's position is stronger than Gordon's would have been against a challenge, because Corbyn has a mandate. It's possible that if May runs into difficulties, she may wish she'd had one too.

Hypothetical as there was no challenge against Brown. There was a NCV against Corbyn which he lost 172-44. And he's still there. He has a mandate to remain from a tiny proportion of the electorate and a mandate to piss off from the vastly larger proportion of the Labour electorate represented by the 172.

How did Labour MP's vote in the election which he won?
    Seems unlikely he got more than the 20-odd votes from his genuine nominees. But with 1M1V, we'll never know.
    Oh I didn't realise there wasn't a way of knowing.

Well if all that's changed is that the MPs who didn't support him then are angry with him now, I would warn the Labour Party against overthrowing him for their own good. They might well lose a lot of committed support to gain a few approving nods from people that will vote Tory anyway
    Total and utter rubbish. I'm sure some centrist sensible Conservatives would welcome his deposition on the basis that they believe in parliamentary democracy and upholding its principles. Indeed some will even go as far to say they don't want to see a great party of state destroyed despite being opponents of the party. Some Tories on here have said as much, and that does them great credit.

Yet the idea that the only key group who will celebrate Corbyn's departure are Tory voters is demonstrable rubbish. What about the millions of centrist and centre-left Labour supporters who are left cold by his insane far left agenda?

It seems your knowledge of the Labour coalition is equal or less than your grasp of the Omov system that elected Corbyn in the first place.
    Life in a bubble
    A pointless and vacuous response that fails to address a single point I have made.

Monty opens a door. Behind it is a pointless and vacuous response. Do you switch?
    I would, but I guess you would not if the other two doors had democracy behind them.
  • Options
    saddened said:

surbiton said:

saddened said:

murali_s said:

You need to explain that response I'm afraid.
    Someone wrote that Labour has not had a female PM, so we should vote in Angela Eagle. My point is: whilst it is a good idea to have a female LoTO, why should it have to be AE who finished 4th in the DLoTO last year.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Minister for uncontrolled migration?
    LOL
  • Options
    Paul_BedfordshirePaul_Bedfordshire Posts: 3,632
    edited July 2016
    Jobabob said:

ydoethur said:

surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

My phone autocorrects europhile to urophile. I suggested to @paul_bedfordshire the other day that he had had a hand in programming it.
    Did you? I didnt see it.

I think you are taking the Piss :D
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

ydoethur said:

surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

Sounds like a mechanical dislike of Jean-Claude Juncker :smiley:
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

Before the GE I suggested that Osborne was acting as the Austerity Chancellor, so that whoever took over would not have that pain on their shoulders. His recent abandonment of he deficit reduction after Brexit seems to be the final move in that plan - although he'd undoubtedly have preferred it if he'd actually managed to reduce the deficit!

Expect the next chancellor not to want to navigate the stormy seas of debt, and instead fend off the oily oceans of a recession.
  • Options

One minor point, though: there seems to be an assumption in the article that the choice is going to be Eagle or Corbyn, but others might fancy their chances as well. Indeed someone else who hasn't been actively involved in trying to dislodge Corbyn might have a better chance of beating him, if he stands. And if he doesn't or isn't able to stand, there would be even more room for other candidates.

Someone who looks like a PM in waiting might be helpful.
  • Options
    Artist said:

Pong said:

Tim Farron is just plain silly - trying to force an election as the Government does not have a mandate to take us out of Europe

Regardless of what Mr Farron thinks, It's very much in Theresa's interests to have a workable majority with the bastards onside - especially since the politics of the next few years will be on the bastards territory.

Right now she has a tiny majority, the bastards are in disarray, with the media still gunning for them - and the nutters opposite her are in civil war.

If you were Theresa May, why wouldn't you call an election?

Recent polls have a Tory lead of 4%-8%, would that be enough to be confident that they'll improve their position? There could also still be a bit of a Brexit hangover for remain (Lib Dems) and leave (UKIP)
    I would expect double digit leads within a month. It will soon be 40%'s for the Conservatives, unless Mrs May upsets the LEAVErs badly.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,788

Jobabob said:

Jobabob said:

PlatoSaid said:

Whats TINO
    Tory in name only
    Before they were insisting that a BREXITEER must be PM, some were saying May was RINO - Remain ino
  • Options

Scott_P said:

You seem very sure May is going to sell Brexit out

Not at all. I am convinced she is going to deliver the best possible Out we can get.

What is cheering me up is that the IDS resurrection is over, as I am equally confident he and his team would have delivered the worst possible Out we could get.
    It seems quite amazing to me that we don't have a scooby what sort of out she would even prefer because she has never been put on the spot by the leadership process.
    She really has gone through the whole loop without really being questioned. Not her fault though. Everyone knifed each other out. She just walked through the carnage.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    surbiton said:

nunu said:

If at the next election I have a choice between an hard left Labour party and moderate Labour party(committed to Leaving the E.U) I will vote for the former. However they could split the vot in which case my seat becomes a marginal again and voting Conservative means I could actually get a Tory MP in Ealing North.

A lot comes down to which way Steven Pound MP deciedes to stand as I think he has built up a strongish personal vote and also on who gets the brand.

Most Labour MPs will lose their seats, if both wings use a full slate. I don't think any Labour seat will be safe.
    Then I would vote tory, but I can't see the anti-corbyns splitting because 1) The pro-Corbyn party would recieve huge funds from the unions 2) They need an absolute garuntee that they will get the Labour brand without which they are doomed and they know it. It is worth as a base around 25% of the vote in a GE.
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    I 100% agree with SO.

I don't see any positive in the Labour party basically destroying itself. This isn't usual party-infighting which a party at some stage can actually come back from. This is basically the Labour party ensuring that for the foreseeable future, we have no real tangible opposition to HM's government. We will rely on the press as the political opposition, which for me doesn't seem too ideal for a country which considers itself a parliamentary democracy. The Labour party will most likely split, and FPTP will punish both 'Labour' parties - but especially the breakaway party - severely for this. Once Corbyn wins the leadership contest, I have no idea how he will even begin to construct a shadow cabinet. I can easily see mass deselections happening. Corbyn will be emboldened in victory, and realise that a PLP without other militant leftists such as himself will be impossible to work with. The Labour party as we know it is over.

What this tells you, is that much of the Labour party membership really does not have the working class' best interests at heart. Those who do, understand that the most effective way to improve the lives of the poorest and vulnerable people in this country is through government. Those who seek Labour to become some sort bizarre 'movement' have yet to explain how Labour being a social movement which ignores parliamentary democracy will be more effective in changing people's lives for the better. The SNP, the most competent centre-left force in the country is an option only Scots can vote for. UKIP's fox has basically been shot, and they seem unable to successfully organise themselves to even get to LD levels of success under Charles Kennedy, let alone be the main opposition. The LDs are totally irrelevant.

I can only hope that May is as competent and as much of a 'One Nation' Tory as she appears to be.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,436
    Has the 1922 ruled yet? BF still haven't paid out on the Tory market.
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,618
    shiney2 said:

I doubt anyone here excepting probably NP has ever tried to canvas votes in a Labour heartland seat.

I spent the much of 2014 and 2015 doing better than that, canvassing votes and running the campaign in the only seat that Labour gained off the Tories in the entire West or East Midlands.
    shiney2 said:

Whoever owns the 'Labour Party' brand at the end of the current squabble will be one of the two parties of government in the UK. Comrade Jez is strategically correct to wait his enemies out.

I don't honestly think that I'll see another Labour government should Corbyn prevail. Labour will be further from government now than the party was in the immediate aftermath of the 1983 general election, the difference from 1983 being that Militant is now running the leader's office, that most of that brand loyalty is long gone and that should there be a political realignment far more than 10% of the party's MPs will leave.
  • Options
    Announcement at 5.00pm
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Not at all. I am convinced she is going to deliver the best possible Out we can get.

What is cheering me up is that the IDS resurrection is over, as I am equally confident he and his team would have delivered the worst possible Out we could get.
    Oh dear. I agree with Scott.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383

Artist said:

Pong said:

Tim Farron is just plain silly - trying to force an election as the Government does not have a mandate to take us out of Europe

Regardless of what Mr Farron thinks, It's very much in Theresa's interests to have a workable majority with the bastards onside - especially since the politics of the next few years will be on the bastards territory.

Right now she has a tiny majority, the bastards are in disarray, with the media still gunning for them - and the nutters opposite her are in civil war.

Recent polls have a Tory lead of 4%-8%, would that be enough to be confident that they'll improve their position? There could also still be a bit of a Brexit hangover for remain (Lib Dems) and leave (UKIP)
    I would expect double digit leads within a month. It will soon be 40%'s for the Conservatives, unless Mrs May upsets the LEAVErs badly.
    Recess begins in less than a fortnight. Then its conference season, barring a serious gaffe - I can't see much change after a polling boost.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

Yes, well they've got one sitting on the back benches, but they don't want to select her.
  • Options

Like??
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,010
    Mr. Jessop, if the Conservatives win in 2020, which seems possible, Cameron may wish to delay to avoid damaging the Party [I think it matters less when your party's in opposition and the winner was from a different wing of the party].
  • Options
    nunu said:

surbiton said:

nunu said:

If at the next election I have a choice between an hard left Labour party and moderate Labour party(committed to Leaving the E.U) I will vote for the former. However they could split the vot in which case my seat becomes a marginal again and voting Conservative means I could actually get a Tory MP in Ealing North.

A lot comes down to which way Steven Pound MP deciedes to stand as I think he has built up a strongish personal vote and also on who gets the brand.

Most Labour MPs will lose their seats, if both wings use a full slate. I don't think any Labour seat will be safe.
    Then I would vote tory, but I can't see the anti-corbyns splitting because 1) The pro-Corbyn party would recieve huge funds from the unions 2) They need an absolute garuntee that they will get the Labour brand without which they are doomed and they know it. It is worth as a base around 25% of the vote in a GE.
    The pro-Corbyn party will not get huge funds from the Unions. Quite a few could change. The critical mass will be how many MPs are involved in the new "party". If it is less than 116, then it will be just SDP Mk2 and it will slowly wither away. If it is more than 116 and has an arrangement with the Lib Dems [ 450 -200, say ], then it could win seats. Maybe , as many as 100.

The Tories would definitely get a majority of, at least, 100. It is the following election, which will be interesting.
  • Options

Unfortunately for Labour anyone who looks remotely like a "PM in waiting" will be denounced as a 'Red Tory' scum and so forth.

• Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Artist said:

Pong said:

Recess begins in less than a fortnight. Then its conference season, barring a serious gaffe - I can't see much change after a polling boost.
    We will have all the endless Labour machinations going on and on and on.
  • Options

The one flip side of today is PB will finally be able to devote some time to the White House race.

In normal times we'd have a daily US thread, but the last White House thread was nearly six weeks ago.

Not to mention time for an AV thread.
  • Options

Announcement at 5.00pm

From whom, about what?
  • Options

Yes, well they've got one sitting on the back benches, but they don't want to select her.
    What do you possibly gain in running Eagle ahead of Yvette btw ?

I'm guessing Tom Watson has persuaded Eagle to lay down her political life. Bit cowardly that he didn't do it himself - I think he might have half a chance vs Jezza.
  • Options
    nunu said:

Like??
    Hilary Benn
  • Options

Unfortunately for Labour anyone who looks remotely like a "PM in waiting" will be denounced as a 'Red Tory' scum and so forth.

Quite. It's an invidious position.
  • Options

Presumably you mean Yvette?
  • Options

Announcement at 5.00pm

From who?
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,227
    Good article, thank you SO.
  • Options

nunu said:

Like??
    Hilary Benn
    You're joking. Even Keir would be better than him granted he's from that north London clique but still he can't hold a candle to his late father.
  • Options

Not to mention time for an AV thread.
    I'm not sure PBers can take that much excitement Paul.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

It seems quite amazing to me that we don't have a scooby what sort of out she would even prefer because she has never been put on the spot by the leadership process.
    She really has gone through the whole loop without really being questioned. Not her fault though. Everyone knifed each other out. She just walked through the carnage.
    This whole process has frankly been a disgrace to democracy.When you put the media crucifixion of Leadsom against the backdrop of the Jo Cox murder,Farage being harassed into quitting,the bullying of MPs by momentum ; the vitriol on twitter etc you have to wonder whether our democracy is going to survive in its current form.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

Artist said:

Pong said:

We will have all the endless Labour machinations going on and on and on.
    Will there be a market on Labour's lowest polling score? This whole year has been beyond the looking glass :lol:
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Announcement at 5.00pm

From whom, about what?
    Falconer - about resigning?
  • Options

shiney2 said:

I doubt anyone here excepting probably NP has ever tried to canvas votes in a Labour heartland seat.

I spent the much of 2014 and 2015 doing better than that, canvassing votes and running the campaign in the only seat that Labour gained off the Tories in the entire West or East Midlands.

Well done.
    Was it a marginal or (penultimately&previously) Labour for 50y+ ?
    I was referencing the latter type of seat & it's habitual labour voters.
  • Options

Announcement at 5.00pm

From who?
    1922 Committee
  • Options
    edited July 2016

Yep. She's not wonderful, and she's certainly not my cup of tea, but at least she'd be a perfectly credible alternative PM. You can easily picture her handling PMQs well, representing the UK at international summits, chairing COBRA, or speaking on behalf of the nation when major events occur. There aren't many other Labour MPs of whom one can say that.
  • Options
    Jon Trickett going big on conspiracy theories here. Not a terribly convincing performance.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    Could political parties of the future survive and thrive without memberships?

Arguably labour would be doing so without theirs.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Announcement at 5.00pm

From whom, about what?
    Falconer - about resigning?
    He's standing for the leadership but will withdraw after 12 hours, known as a Chukka?
  • Options

Pam Ayres‏ @PamAyres
    Now its just a one-horse race,
    Andrea couldn't stand the pace,
    See our future shining plainer,
    Leaving led by a Remainer.
  • Options

surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

This whole process has frankly been a disgrace to democracy.When you put the media crucifixion of Leadsom against the backdrop of the Jo Cox murder,Farage being harassed into quitting,the bullying of MPs by momentum ; the vitriol on twitter etc you have to wonder whether our democracy is going to survive in its current form.
    Part of being suitable to be PM is being experienced enough to handle the media without inadvertently or otherwise saying something that causes a shitstorm.
  • Options
    Has Laurie Penny decided that Mrs May isn't female yet?
  • Options

Yep. She's not wonderful, and she's certainly not my cup of tea, but at least she'd be a perfectly credible alternative PM. You can easily picture her handling PMQs well, representing the UK at international summits, chairing COBRA, or speaking on behalf of the nation when major events occur. There aren't many other Labour MPs of whom one can say that.
    Ironically, another point I agree with Richard. She is, by far, the most capable of the lot. Shame her husband is not in the HoC.

But Yvette would do.
  • Options
    @robfordmancs: Since Brexit:
    Tories: Dave gone, Boris gone, Gove gone, Leadsom gone, May in

Lab: Just got round to starting contest & haven't agreed rules
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,977
    Dear all - many thanks for your very kind comments and incisive criticisms. This is how I would have ended the article in a slightly longer form:

Sadly, though, I suspect that I will be on the losing side. Labour members will choose the extra-Parliamentary route and the party is likely to go into the next general election as a movement rather than one that aspires to govern. If that election comes soon, Jeremy Corbyn will once again sit in front of a parliamentary party that has no confidence in him, but which he and his allies can – through deselections actual and threatened – mould into something new. If May waits, that process will take place during the current Parliament. What happens then will have to be the subject of a different piece penned sometime in the future.

My view is that if Corbyn does win again, Labour is bound to split, if only because a number of current Labour MPs are going to be deselected and will no longer sit on the labour benches. Others will join them. Corbyn and his allies will welcome that split. They want to take Labour onto the streets. Parliament is bourgeois. Socialism will only be delivered when the proletariat rise up. A few more years of Tory rule should hasten that. I'd laugh at the stupidity if it were not so sad.

I am 52, Corbyn is 67. I will not live to see another Labour government; Jezza will not live to see his socialist revolution. If I am lucky, a new party of the centre left may govern before I snuff it, but I am not counting in it. Thirty-five very stupid Labour MPs effectively destroyed their party by opening it up to the hard left and assorted useful idiots. They must hate themselves. I genuinely feel sorry for them.

On another note, my Twitter account has never seen such action. The power of Political Betting :-)
  • Options

Jobabob said:

Jobabob said:

PlatoSaid said:

Whats TINO
    Tory in name only
    Big John Owls would call the Labour Right Lino. I'll let you do the jokes about the party's rules allowing that grouping to be walked all over.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    PlatoSaid said:

They don’t even need to look like a PM in waiting, Ms Eagle’s Twitter feed has been wall to wall vitriol by Momentum for the best part of the day – she’s in for a very tough ride imo.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    ''You can easily picture her handling PMQs well, representing the UK at international summits, chairing COBRA, or speaking on behalf of the nation when major events occur. There aren't many other Labour MPs of whom one can say that. ''

Your definition of what makes a modern PM is fascinating, and revealing.
  • Options
    Has anyone heard from Louise Mensch
  • Options

Any Labour MP who is remotely centrist will be playing a very careful game. There should be lots of talk of both the good of the party and the good of the country, whilst reacting to Corbyn's problems with sorrow. They should not be anywhere near whoever wields the knife.

Any MP capable of this balancing act would have many of the skills they would require to be PM.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Ironically, another point I agree with Richard. She is, by far, the most capable of the lot. Shame her husband is not in the HoC.

But Yvette would do.
    I highly suspect Balls will be back if Corbyn has gone.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    PlatoSaid said:

Has Laurie Penny decided that Mrs May isn't female yet?

The "wrong sort of female"
  • Options

surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

Part of being suitable to be PM is being experienced enough to handle the media without inadvertently or otherwise saying something that causes a shitstorm.
    My point is much wider than that.The Media are only part of the problem though their viciousness and destructiveness seems to grow by the day and in my view is both reflecting and fuelling the hatred we are seeing generally in the political process .
  • Options

Dear all - many thanks for your very kind comments and incisive criticisms. This is how I would have ended the article in a slightly longer form:

Sadly, though, I suspect that I will be on the losing side. Labour members will choose the extra-Parliamentary route and the party is likely to go into the next general election as a movement rather than one that aspires to govern. If that election comes soon, Jeremy Corbyn will once again sit in front of a parliamentary party that has no confidence in him, but which he and his allies can – through deselections actual and threatened – mould into something new. If May waits, that process will take place during the current Parliament. What happens then will have to be the subject of a different piece penned sometime in the future.

My view is that if Corbyn does win again, Labour is bound to split, if only because a number of current Labour MPs are going to be deselected and will no longer sit on the labour benches. Others will join them. Corbyn and his allies will welcome that split. They want to take Labour onto the streets. Parliament is bourgeois. Socialism will only be delivered when the proletariat rise up. A few more years of Tory rule should hasten that. I'd laugh at the stupidity if it were not so sad.

I am 52, Corbyn is 67. I will not live to see another Labour government; Jezza will not live to see his socialist revolution. If I am lucky, a new party of the centre left may govern before I snuff it, but I am not counting in it. Thirty-five very stupid Labour MPs effectively destroyed their party by opening it up to the hard left and assorted useful idiots. They must hate themselves. I genuinely feel sorry for them.

On another note, my Twitter account has never seen such action. The power of Political Betting :-)

I see at least two Lab MPs have followed you on Twitter.
  • Options

Big fan of May.

Always was.

Didn't you know?
  • Options
    nunu said:

nunu said:

Like??
    Hilary Benn
    You're joking. Even Keir would be better than him granted he's from that north London clique but still he can't hold a candle to his late father.
    actually I take that back, his debating during the Syrian debate was persuasive.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

They don’t even need to look like a PM in waiting, Ms Eagle’s Twitter feed has been wall to wall vitriol by Momentum for the best part of the day – she’s in for a very tough ride imo.
    Her CLP has already held a vote - and backed Corbyn. She's a dead cert for deselection right now. I remain one of the few who rather likes her, despite everything.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

If I am lucky, a new party of the centre left may govern before I snuff it, but I am not counting in it.

You might be able to vote for Theresa May's Tories... :)
  • Options

I don't normally follow Twitter (another thing Cameron got right), but Mensch's feed has been funny. The last time we saw political repositioning so fast was Nick's transfer from electable Blairism to unelectable Corbynism.

27 minutes ago:
    I'm a Tory #partyofgovernment :)
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,977

That kind of thinking is, frankly, indulgent. Political parties should not aspire to be pure expressions of democracy; they should be vehicles through which democracy can work. An excessive regard for members' views misses the point of what a party is for.

If members don't decide what the party is for, who does? Do you envisage a sort of deus ex machina? It can't be the MPs, who as I and every other MP and ex-MP well know are mostly elected not for their great wisdom and thought but because they represent their parties. If they in turn were to decide the purpose of the party, we would have a completely empty circular phenomenon.

The issue hasn't arisen very often since it's usually pretty well-defined what parties are for, and people join them accotrdingly and sit comfortably in them as MPs or ordinary members. But in a time of questioning of orthodox thinking, who decides if a party should change?

The members will decide what Labour is for. That is the entire basis of my article. If they re-elect Corbyn they will have decided that Labour should primarily be an extra-parliamentary movement that focuses on promoting their views rather than on aspiring to be a party of government. As a result, Labour will continue to lose seats, votes, relevance and influence. But the members will feel good about themselves, so that's a positive :-)
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631

Big fan of May.

Always was.

Didn't you know?
    She was always at war with Eurasia.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,227

surbiton said:

Should we consider possibly Andrea Leadsom as next Chancellor for the betting markets? She's come out of this with some credit and the one thing everyone seems to agree is she is very financially literate and aware which could be useful for a Chancellor in these times.

Are you being serious ?
    Yes. Leader is a step too far, but she could do a good job as a cabinet member and her expertise is in finance which could be useful in these times.
    No - as she herself has said she spent 10 years at Invesco writing compensation agreements i.e. her expertise is in HR. We need a real expert to deal with financial services. If she has to be in Cabinet, somewhere where she can do no harm is the best bet. She's shown she can't deal with even the tiniest bit of pressure. We don't need a flaky drama queen in an important role.

• Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503

Louise moves on very quickly. She's like a shark, has to keep swimming in the Twitter ocean.
  • Options

Big fan of May.

Always was.

Didn't you know?
    Well that's good to know after her hysterical pro Andrea Leadsom rant with Stephen Nolan on 5 live last night
  • Options

tim had the best description of her: me me mensch.
  • Options
    Paul_BedfordshirePaul_Bedfordshire Posts: 3,632
    edited July 2016

I'm wonderIng if Lord (Neil) Kinnock might put himself forward. In good health, only a year or two older than Corbyn, widely respected in party. Could serve a couple of years implement reforms to sort the mess out and stand down in late 2018 to give his sucsessor time to bed in before 2020 election?

I cant think of anyone else who could avoid utter disaster. Batley means he could resign from Lords and be parachuted into commons unopposed.

Any odds available?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631

That kind of thinking is, frankly, indulgent. Political parties should not aspire to be pure expressions of democracy; they should be vehicles through which democracy can work. An excessive regard for members' views misses the point of what a party is for.

If members don't decide what the party is for, who does? Do you envisage a sort of deus ex machina? It can't be the MPs, who as I and every other MP and ex-MP well know are mostly elected not for their great wisdom and thought but because they represent their parties. If they in turn were to decide the purpose of the party, we would have a completely empty circular phenomenon.

The issue hasn't arisen very often since it's usually pretty well-defined what parties are for, and people join them accotrdingly and sit comfortably in them as MPs or ordinary members. But in a time of questioning of orthodox thinking, who decides if a party should change?

The members will decide what Labour is for. That is the entire basis of my article. If they re-elect Corbyn they will have decided that Labour should primarily be an extra-parliamentary movement that focuses on promoting their views rather than on aspiring to be a party of government. As a result, Labour will continue to lose seats, votes, relevance and influence. But the members will feel good about themselves, so that's a positive :-)
    I think Labour needs to do away with the £3 voters and moving back to an electoral college. MPs get 40% of the say and members/union members share the remainder.
  • Options
    nunu said:

nunu said:

nunu said:

Like??
    Hilary Benn
    actually I take that back, his debating during the Syrian debate was persuasive.
    Funnily enough, I mentioned Keir to a politically very engaged Labour member the other day - he said Who?

I mentioned his background - CPS etc and still blank face, he has R5 as his default in-car listening. I was really surprised.
  • Options
    1922 have now ruled.
  • Options

surbiton said:

But Yvette would do.
    I highly suspect Balls will be back if Corbyn has gone.
    However, I cannot see Balls can come back because Corbyn will win. The new party can only stop Corbyn's Labour winning but not win themselves. 2025 could be slightly different.
  • Options
    One of the first tasks to confront a new prime minister, after an audience with the Queen, is to write “the letter of last resort”
    As prime minister, with ultimate responsibility for Britain’s nuclear deterrent, May has to write the letter, in her own hand, giving quite detailed instructions about what the UK’s response should be in the event of a pre-emptive nuclear attack.

Well worth reading the whole section:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/blog/live/2016/jul/11/andrea-leadsom-apologises-to-theresa-may-politics-live

16:58
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,141

When you put the media crucifixion of Leadsom against the backdrop of the Jo Cox murder

How could anyone could be so crass as to say such a thing?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    David Cameron is no longer leader of the Conservative Party.
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    May is now officially Tory leader.
  • Options
    1922 Cttee chairman Graham Brady: "I can confirm that Mrs May has been elected leader of the Conservative Party with immediate effect."
  • Options

Big fan of May.

Always was.

Didn't you know?
    Well that's good to know after her hysterical pro Andrea Leadsom rant with Stephen Nolan on 5 live last night
    Andrea who?
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,475

1922 Cttee chairman Graham Brady: "I can confirm that Mrs May has been elected leader of the Conservative Party with immediate effect."

Hooray!!!
  • Options
    John_M said:

Louise moves on very quickly. She's like a shark, has to keep swimming in the Twitter ocean.
    That's a very good analogy :naughty:
  • Options

I'm wonderIng if Lord (Neil) Kinnock might put himself forward. In good health, only a year or two older than Corbyn, widely respected in party. Could serve a couple of years implement reforms to sort the mess out and stand down in late 2018 to give his sucsessor time to bed in before 2020 election?

I cant think of anyone else who could avoid utter disaster. Batley means he could resign from Lords and be parachuted into commons unopposed.

Any odds available?

No, I proposed the same idea a few days ago. No sign of a book available on it. It is a good idea.
  • Options
    Rejoice. Rejoice, REJOICE
This discussion has been closed.