Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Leadsom quits the race. Big question now is whether May is

Comments

• Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    surbiton said:

stjohn said:

Yes Richard. But I don't think you argued that May wouldn't want to achieve it, rather that the EU wouldn't want to allow or enable it? Unless you made both points?

I've argued that we can't take it for granted that the EU countries + EFTA countries + European Parliament will unanimously agree to EEA membership, but, more importantly, I don't see how the circle of a deal involving full freedom of movement can be reconciled with the referendum result, given that both Vote Leave and Leave.EU campaigned on immigration as their principal argument. Since something has to give, I think it will be full membership of the Single Market which gets abandoned. My expectation is that we'll end up with a deal where we have full tariff-free and hassle-free access to the Single Market for goods, but not for services (and in particular, we won't retain financial passporting).
    Richard, I think our respective position on this topic is probably very close, if not the same. Given the Brexit vote, I would like a solution which is as close as we can be to what we have now except being members of the EU.

The referendum only gave one verdict: This country should leave the EU.

No other question was asked. By implication, Parliament was given the authority to sort out the details.

If we had [almost] unfettered access to the Single Market and the best FoM policy we could get, about 60/70% of the country would go with it. Remember 48% voted for the status quo.

The Brexit vote will still be honoured. We cannot go on about what each voter who voted Leave were thinking about. Virtually, every one had a different idea.
    Personally I would want to see full control of the laws in the UK being set by the UK. In addition I would want the ability to accept or deny any person wishing to come to this country.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    "Theresa May has benefited from the Tories’ hunger for power
    May’s speech showed Labour now faces a formidable opponent who has already placed several tanks on their lawn. Meanwhile, Labour is fighting itself
    Jonathan Freedland"

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jul/11/theresa-may-tories-power-labour
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,981
    Blue_rog said:

surbiton said:

stjohn said:

Yes Richard. But I don't think you argued that May wouldn't want to achieve it, rather that the EU wouldn't want to allow or enable it? Unless you made both points?

I've argued that we can't take it for granted that the EU countries + EFTA countries + European Parliament will unanimously agree to EEA membership, but, more importantly, I don't see how the circle of a deal involving full freedom of movement can be reconciled with the referendum result, given that both Vote Leave and Leave.EU campaigned on immigration as their principal argument. Since something has to give, I think it will be full membership of the Single Market which gets abandoned. My expectation is that we'll end up with a deal where we have full tariff-free and hassle-free access to the Single Market for goods, but not for services (and in particular, we won't retain financial passporting).
    Richard, I think our respective position on this topic is probably very close, if not the same. Given the Brexit vote, I would like a solution which is as close as we can be to what we have now except being members of the EU.

No other question was asked. By implication, Parliament was given the authority to sort out the details.

If we had [almost] unfettered access to the Single Market and the best FoM policy we could get, about 60/70% of the country would go with it. Remember 48% voted for the status quo.

The Brexit vote will still be honoured. We cannot go on about what each voter who voted Leave were thinking about. Virtually, every one had a different idea.
    Personally I would want to see full control of the laws in the UK being set by the UK. In addition I would want the ability to accept or deny any person wishing to come to this country.
    Wouldn't that require withdrawing from several international treaties, including the UN?
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    edited July 2016

stjohn said:

And how serious do you see the consequences for the UK economy of such an outcome?

Quite bad in the short-term because of the effect on the City, although a quick deal along those lines would be better than an EEA deal after an extended negotiation.

In the long-term, hard to say. The Brexiteers told us that we'd be free to take advantages of trade with other countries in a way in which we couldn't as members of the EU. That always seemed to me to be an argument which was generated mainly by wishful thinking, but perhaps it can be made to work.
    I don't how many took into account the pound's depreciation of 10% since Brexit. The pound had already fallen about 10% since November.

£1 = € 1.43 [ Nov ]. Today. £1 = € 1.17. Ouch ! Good for exporters if we know our markets [ in the short term it will still be the EU ]. In the long run, it will help exports.

But, of course, it comes with a catch. Big increases in import costs including food items. House prices and rents will collapse. So good and bad.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 1,614
    I get wee Timmy Farron calling for an election, he has nothing whatsoever to lose, but Labour? Is the reckoning that Corbyn wins the leadership contest, and a general election gets rid of him? Corbyn will not resign even if Labour loses the next election. They are stuck with him.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,028
    Good afternoon, everyone.

What drama has occurred since 1pm? Has Eagle sufficient support to trigger a leadership election?
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    surbiton said:

JackW said:

jonny83 said:

Sky saying Her Majesty is due in London on Thursday. Probably going to happen then.

Thursday would appear fitting. No unseemly rush. Cameron does a valedictory PMQ's, May has a few days to decide on a cabinet and the test match at Lords begins.

Political history and leather on willow in one day. Splendid .. :smile:
    Amir coming into bowl.
    Having the noted boxer Amir Khan coming into bowl for England would be novel .. :smile:

Sadly I shall not be there. Mrs JackW travel restrictions apply. Bloody relatives snaffled my tickets !!
  • Options
    Blue_rog said:

surbiton said:

stjohn said:

Good. But that was not on the ballot paper.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    Jason said:

I get wee Timmy Farron calling for an election, he has nothing whatsoever to lose, but Labour? Is the reckoning that Corbyn wins the leadership contest, and a general election gets rid of him? Corbyn will not resign even if Labour loses the next election. They are stuck with him.

Farron has got something to lose - the final 8 seats!
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,093
    edited July 2016
    FF43 said:

stjohn said:

stjohn said:

I've argued that we can't take it for granted that the EU countries + EFTA countries + European Parliament will unanimously agree to EEA membership, but, more importantly, I don't see how the circle of a deal involving full freedom of movement can be reconciled with the referendum result, given that both Vote Leave and Leave.EU campaigned on immigration as their principal argument. Since something has to give, I think it will be full access to the Single Market which gets abandoned. My expectation is that we'll end up with a deal where we have full tariff-free and hassle-free access to the Single Market for goods, but not for services (and in particular, we won't retain financial passporting).
    And how serious do you see the consequences for the UK economy of such an outcome?
    Serious because anything other than vanilla EEA is going to take a long time to negotiate. Maybe ten years. In the meantime we are either in minimal WTO or languishing in an EU exit limbo dependent on the goodwill of EU partners who don't owe us any.
    I think Germany will like to sell cars to us and not do anything that might trigger the collapse of Deutsche Bank... As such nothing much has changed is a happy medium term position for everyone....
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,028
    Her logo looks like a pound shop Brexit poster.
  • Options
    jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261
    Guido Fawkes ‏@GuidoFawkes 23s23 seconds ago
    Politics is a cruel business... Team Cameron pleading with Team May for him to be allowed to do a last PMQs.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,576

Jason said:

I suspect there is a large element of calling for something they know wont happen. Virtue signalling I guess.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383

PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:

EXCLUSIVE: UKIP Executive Says Leadership Candidates Must Be 5-Year-Long Party Members https://t.co/t8SNu6IeMN https://t.co/Dqqq0oL7cw

Sorry, Plato, you'll have to take your hat out the ring... ;-)
    :lol:
    Glad to see some of your sangfroid has returned...

You and I have been in a similar place. Both worked hard to get a Tory party elected that had promised a Referendum. Both hoped that Dave would deliver on his promise to materially renegotiate our position within the EU. Both would probably have voted Remain if he had. But both of us got pissed off with the overselling of the resulting "deal", insulting our intelligence at its supposed wonderfulness - then got incensed by his Project Fear and "Little Englander" stuff. Both of us voted Leave.

Both hoped to have a serious Leaver on the Conservative members ballot. But then Gove started playing with hand grenades. He took it upon himself to decide who was a worthy candidate, usurping the role of the members. For whatever reason, Boris then stood aside. (The biographies covering this period are going to be fascinating...)

I don't think you would have voted for Boris, even if he had carried the Leave banner into the final two. But when he wasn't there, you invested your hope in Leadsom. That is where we parted company. Just never saw her as Prime Ministerial. With a few more years in Government, she might have grown into being a proper challenger. But one decent showing in the TV debate was nowhere near enough. A Prime Minister can't just open mouth before engaging brain. Failing to understand in the moment how her comments might be interpreted was a one strike and your out moment. Reluctantly, I would have voted for May - though the temptation to spoil my ballot would have been high.

So now we have May. She has a tricky high-wire act to perform. I hope she manages it. But I, at least, will still be on the inside of the party - watching, judging.... If she isn't up to snuff, then it will be down to folks like me to put the spine into our MPs to act. Can't do that from UKIP.

I wanted Gove for all his faults. When he nuked himself, it was a choice between neither for me. I wanted to see what they'd to offer/similar scrutiny of positions et al.

I seriously considered abstaining or spoiling my ballot. How ironic is that.

Having listened to May's EdM Meets Ted Heath speech - I can't pretend to support her. It's The All The Same Party. Been there, done that and can't kid myself that I'll get over it.

The Tories still got another £25 :wink: Good luck to you and when I can, I'll cheer you on - I hope your efforts get results.

If a GE was held tomorrow - I'd vote Kipper.
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807
    surbiton said:

stjohn said:

Quite right. Well put sir.
  • Options

Good afternoon, everyone.

What drama has occurred since 1pm? Has Eagle sufficient support to trigger a leadership election?

Good question. I don't think anyone is paying any attention to that story now Mr Dancer. Even Hodges has lost focus.
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    We need a May -ism to cover her political followers and style, we've already got Blairites, Corbynistas, Cameroonians. Do we go with Mayflies or Mayflowers?
  • Options

Jason said:

I suspect there is a large element of calling for something they know wont happen. Virtue signalling I guess.
    @Pong reckons it is a decent chance, and he's a man who knows the odds. I doubt the 8 Lib Dem votes in the house will swing the vote if there is one either way, but it's not empty virtue signalling.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,048
    FF43 said:

stjohn said:

stjohn said:

I've argued that we can't take it for granted that the EU countries + EFTA countries + European Parliament will unanimously agree to EEA membership, but, more importantly, I don't see how the circle of a deal involving full freedom of movement can be reconciled with the referendum result, given that both Vote Leave and Leave.EU campaigned on immigration as their principal argument. Since something has to give, I think it will be full access to the Single Market which gets abandoned. My expectation is that we'll end up with a deal where we have full tariff-free and hassle-free access to the Single Market for goods, but not for services (and in particular, we won't retain financial passporting).
    Serious because anything other than vanilla EEA is going to take a long time to negotiate. Maybe ten years. In the meantime we are either in minimal WTO or languishing in an EU exit limbo dependent on the goodwill of EU partners who don't owe us any.
    This is just more scaremongering. One of the reasons trade deals with non EU countries take such a long time is because of the issues of the technicalities of standardisation. In this case that is not an issue. There will be very few technical issues and almost everything will be political.
  • Options
    MontyHallMontyHall Posts: 226
    edited July 2016
    Jobabob said:

MontyHall said:

Jobabob said:

Probably time for a quick roundup.

Leading eurosceptics since their referendum victory:

Leadsom – withdrawn
    Boris – retreated
    Gove – humiliated
    Farage – resigned
    Corbyn – mutinied
    Fox – beaten

To twist an old saying, if that's what victory looks like, I sure as hell wouldn't wish defeat on them.

Hater of democracy?
    Eh?
    You seem to be celebrating the "demise" of these people. Farage has seen a lifetimes work pay off against the odds, while Corbyn is successfully dismantling the centrist Party Labour have become over the last two decades, in the face of opposition from people whose support he never had when he won a landslide victory.

As for the Tory Brexit crew, they have been outwitted by a group of MP's who are diametrically at odds with both their membership and the majority of their voters

Elites pulling together to obstruct the will of the masses isn't something I would celebrate.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,217
    PlatoSaid said:

Having listened to May's EdM Meets Ted Heath speech - I can't pretend to support her. It's The All The Same Party. Been there, done that and can't kid myself that I'll get over it.

The Tories still got another £25 :wink: Good luck to you and when I can, I'll cheer you on - I hope your efforts get results.

Your recent political journey: from centre-left (Blair), to centre-right (Cameron) to nutty right (UKIP).

Where next?
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:

EXCLUSIVE: UKIP Executive Says Leadership Candidates Must Be 5-Year-Long Party Members https://t.co/t8SNu6IeMN https://t.co/Dqqq0oL7cw

;-)

I think you are now at peace with yourself. This is where you have always belonged.
  • Options
    MontyHall said:

Jobabob said:

MontyHall said:

Jobabob said:

Leadsom – withdrawn
    Boris – retreated
    Gove – humiliated
    Farage – resigned
    Corbyn – mutinied
    Fox – beaten

To twist an old saying, if that's what victory looks like, I sure as hell wouldn't wish defeat on them.

Hater of democracy?
    Eh?
    You seem to be celebrating the "demise" of these people. Farage has seen a lifetimes work pay off against the odds, while Corbyn is successfully dismantling the centrist Party Labour have become over the last two decades, in the face of opposition from people whose support he never had when he won a landslide victory.

As for the Tory Brexit crew, they have been outwitted by a group of MP's who are diametrically at odds with both their membership and the majority of their voters

Elites pulling together to obstruct the will of the masses isn't something I would celebrate.
    Well said.
  • Options
    MontyHall said:

Jobabob said:

MontyHall said:

Jobabob said:

Leadsom – withdrawn
    Boris – retreated
    Gove – humiliated
    Farage – resigned
    Corbyn – mutinied
    Fox – beaten

Hater of democracy?
    Eh?

The centrists command the views of the vast majority of the country. What the party memberships' median view is is hardly relevant. Also, it may surprise you to hear I had no role in the Shambolic Six's departures from the stage. They brought that upon themselves.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

We need a May -ism to cover her political followers and style, we've already got Blairites, Corbynistas, Cameroonians. Do we go with Mayflies or Mayflowers?

Maydens.

• Options
    shiney2shiney2 Posts: 672

Will Boris/Gove be given the Brexit Brief?

Both are certainly angling for it.

BBC - "Gove: Theresa May has my 'full support'"
    BBC - "Boris Johnson: May will be 'excellent' PM"

Gove is the one that best meets her&REMAINER purposes.

• Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,342

Maydens.

Maybees
  • Options

It was Blairites, CameROONS and Corbynistas.

I would go with Mayflowers. That's quite neat and original.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited July 2016
    PlatoSaid said:

I wanted Gove for all his faults. When he nuked himself, it was a choice between neither for me. I wanted to see what they'd to offer/similar scrutiny of positions et al.

I have to say your strop is completely baffling. Just over a year ago you were helping Caroline Ansell dislodge the Yellow Peril in Eastbourne, helping to get Cameron re-elected and, even better, working towards a majority Conservative government. An important part of the Conservative platform was the referendum. Despite the naysaying of the Kippers, that referendum was duly and promptly delivered. It went the way you wanted. The party is now uniting around an experienced candidate who is going to implement that decision, and who is slightly to the right of Cameron, and yet you're in a strop and leaning Kipperwards. It does seem very odd, Miss Plato!
  • Options
    DanSmithDanSmith Posts: 1,215
    Westminster voting intention:
    CON: 38% (+1)
    LAB: 30% (-)
    UKIP: 15% (-)
    LDEM: 8% (-)
    GRN: 4% (-)
    (via ICM / 08 - 10 Jul)
    Chgs. from 01-03/07.

May would be crazy not to have a snap election.
  • Options
    jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261
    A split now seems inevitable...
  • Options
    That has to be the correct one, otherwise, there would have been endless court action.

Your point is correct though. The party is splitting. As Southam constantly worries about: who gets the intellectual rights ?

I think it will be the Progressive Democrats with a built-in manifesto commitment to change the voting system and the House of Lords.
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

May flies only last 24 hours IIRC.
  • Options
    shiney2shiney2 Posts: 672

Maydens.

DisMayers?
  • Options
    jonny83 said:

YES YES OH GOD YES
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    Maybees

Maynchancers
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,855
    John Rentoul:

One other thing we do know about what kind of prime minister May will be: she won’t be hasty and hyperactive. She finds herself in this position by not doing things. We journalists puzzled over why she wasn’t running a leadership campaign before the referendum. She got on with her job. During the referendum campaign she said she wanted to withdraw from the European Convention on Human Rights, and got on with her job. After the referendum campaign, while Boris Johnson, Michael Gove and Andrea Leadsom destroyed themselves, she focused on the task at hand, setting out her programme for her leadership (not including withdrawing from the ECHR). If as prime minister she simply gets on with the job, she could be very popular indeed

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/theresa-may-what-kind-of-prime-minister-policies-what-she-really-meant-a7130911.html
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

FF43 said:

MaxPB said:

Yes, pro-leave but also staying in the single market.

I don't think we'll be staying in the single market:

Q: Would you stay in the single market?

May says she wants to get the best deal for trade in goods and services. But free movement of labour cannot continue. The Brexit vote was very clear on that, she says.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/blog/live/2016/jul/11/andrea-leadsom-apologises-to-theresa-may-politics-live?page=with:block-578377d1e4b0eebd31587035#liveblog-navigation

The mood music from Germany is somewhat negative. Merkel thinks the UK voted for Brexit because it doesn't like freedom of movement; she expects Article 50 to be triggered once the new PM is in place, but the UK will not get all the benefits of the EU in the new arrangement.

FWIW the Norwegian PM doubts EEA will be suitable for the UK.
    I think they're right. I fear the likes of CR, Max, RCS etc are going to be very disappointed.
    Mr Jessop, I would agree with the Norwegian bloke - the EEA is not right for the UK. The EEA is a deal between three of the four members of EFTA and the EU. The economic, political, diplomatic and military muscle of the EEA members is tiny compared to that of the UK and the deal they agreed to reflects this. Even the Swiss stayed out of it.

I would expect the UK to be able to negotiate a much better deal than even the Swiss got.

As for the "mood music" coming from Berlin and people pretending to know what Merkel thinks, well, that's just nonsense and in any event unlikely to have any impact in the negotiations. What we did see a week or so ago is the German Motor Manufacturers going public with their fear of losing free access to the UK market.

One final thought some people on here talk a lot about the financial passporting arrangements. Fair enough it is not an area that I know much about. However, someone on here (and I have forgotten who, but it was one of the grown ups) said a while back that the passporting was worth about 10bn a year. Serious money, but if that is correct then compared to the size of the economy, the City's total trade income and even government expenditure it is no more than a rounding error rounding. Something to be considered and hopefully kept but too trivial a figure to move one's negotiating position to keep.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,060

PlatoSaid said:

I have to say your strop is completely baffling. Just over a year ago you were helping Caroline Ansell dislodge the Yellow Peril in Eastbourne, helping to get Cameron re-elected and, even better, working towards a majority Conservative government. An important part of the Conservative platform was the referendum. Despite the naysaying of the Kippers, that referendum was duly and promptly delivered. It went the way you wanted. The party is now uniting around an experienced candidate who is going to implement that decision, and who is slightly to the right of Cameron, and yet you're in a strop and leaning Kipperwards. It does seem very odd, Miss Plato!
    You can prove anything with facts
  • Options
    jonny83 said:

Yep. The bit I really couldn't understand this morning as it was discussed on Today is how anyone could think that Corbyn needed to get nominations to stand. The post 2010 rules are very clear and there is little ambiguity in them
  • Options
    jonny83 said:

Politics is a cruel business... Team Cameron pleading with Team May for him to be allowed to do a last PMQs.

Utter rubbish from Guido.

Cameron is there until he isn't and that is not determined by Team May but by the PM and the Queen.

The Prime Minister might recommend to the Queen to send for a Scottish peer with outstanding credentials not now going to the Lords test match on Thursday ..

Cough .. :smile:
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    DanSmith said:

Westminster voting intention:
    CON: 38% (+1)
    LAB: 30% (-)
    UKIP: 15% (-)
    LDEM: 8% (-)
    GRN: 4% (-)
    (via ICM / 08 - 10 Jul)
    Chgs. from 01-03/07.

May would be crazy not to have a snap election.

I don't doubt the Tories would win a snap GE. But I wouldn't believe any VI polls after the last year.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Is Southam still selling "Betrayal" ?

@CouncilReporter: Iain Duncan Smith tells @BBCNewsnight some Tories must "examine their conscience about the way they have behaved" as Leadsom quits race
  • Options
    DanSmithDanSmith Posts: 1,215
    jonny83 said:

George Eaton, never knowingly right...
  • Options
    TGOHF said:
    Eaton is hinting that the NEC will prevent Corbyn having an automatic place on the ballot. But he doesn't really know, I don't think.

We'll find out tomorrow.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

Your recent political journey: from centre-left (Blair), to centre-right (Cameron) to nutty right (UKIP).

Where next?
    Something to the right of UKIP.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @OliverCooper: New ICM poll: Conservatives 38% (+1), Labour 30% (-), UKIP 15% (-), LDs 8% (-), Greens 4% (-).

So about that snap election Labour want...
  • Options
    surbiton said:

PlatoSaid said:

Where next?
    Britain First eyeing up their next £25.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:

Sorry, Plato, you'll have to take your hat out the ring... ;-)
    ..........Reluctantly, I would have voted for May - though the temptation to spoil my ballot would have been high.
    So now we have May. She has a tricky high-wire act to perform. I hope she manages it. But I, at least, will still be on the inside of the party - watching, judging.... If she isn't up to snuff, then it will be down to folks like me to put the spine into our MPs to act. Can't do that from UKIP.
    A majority of 12 and probably 150 LEAVE voting MPs. We will see in her cabinet choices whether she is selecting for talent or for their political leanings. just as Brown had every opportunity to work out how to run an effective Govt, so it is with Mrs May. Will she clean out the Osborneites?

• Options
    Mr. Borough, they should be focusing on Eagle.

I think Labour's position is the critical story right now.
  • Options

Blue_rog said:

surbiton said:

stjohn said:

Wouldn't that require withdrawing from several international treaties, including the UN?
    Which ones do you have in mind?
  • Options
    surbiton said:

PlatoSaid said:

Where next?
    If the political spectrum is a circle rather than a straight line - a Corbynite
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,843
    eek said:

FF43 said:

stjohn said:

stjohn said:

I think Germany will like to sell cars to us and not do anything that might trigger the collapse of Deutsche Bank... As such nothing much has changed is a happy medium term position for everyone....
    We're in a situation where we can't go back, nor can we move forward to a new arrangement without passing through a damaging and lengthy limbo first. The only sensible alternative is another existing arrangement, which is EEA. May, Merkel and others may realise this and try to make it work, at least in the interim. Brexit will be playing out for a long time to come.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Scott_P said:

@CouncilReporter: Iain Duncan Smith tells @BBCNewsnight some Tories must "examine their conscience about the way they have behaved" as Leadsom quits race

IDS’ trouble is he put all his egg in one basket case.
  • Options
    I'm sure this has been done 1000 times but hey, who cares.

May = PM
    Hammond = Chancellor of Exchequer
    Clarkson = Dept of Culture, Media & Sport
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    JackW said:

jonny83 said:

Utter rubbish from Guido.

Cameron is there until he isn't and that is not determined by Team May but by the PM and the Queen.

The Prime Minister might recommend to the Queen to send for a Scottish peer with outstanding credentials not now going to the Lords test match on Thursday ..

Cough .. :smile:
    I heard, on the grapevine, that said peer was persona non grata with DC. Something to do with an European Arse malfunction, though that doesn't seem likely.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831

Scott_P said:

IDS’ trouble is he put all his egg in one basket case.
    And would be best advised to return to being a quiet man
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,444

I'm sure this has been done 1000 times but hey, who cares.

May = PM
    Hammond = Chancellor of Exchequer
    Clarkson = Dept of Culture, Media & Sport

Falconer - Lord Chancellor
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@OliverCooper: New ICM poll: Conservatives 38% (+1), Labour 30% (-), UKIP 15% (-), LDs 8% (-), Greens 4% (-).

Isn't this identical to what we have now ?
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

Not at all. The Tory Remain campaign eroded 80% of my loyalty with insults such as Little Englander. I'm not alone in feeling this way. The final 20% expired today with no vote and closing ranks. I mentioned a few weeks ago that I'd never previously understood the All The Same Party mindset - and now did. I've simply taken the next step, despite wishing for the opposite.

There's nothing special about the Tories for me. So why stick around. Caroline is a charming lady - but that's the way the electoral cookie crumbles.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Jobabob said:

MontyHall said:

Jobabob said:

MontyHall said:

Jobabob said:

Leadsom – withdrawn
    Boris – retreated
    Gove – humiliated
    Farage – resigned
    Corbyn – mutinied
    Fox – beaten

Hater of democracy?
    Eh?

The centrists command the views of the vast majority of the country. What the party memberships' median view is is hardly relevant. Also, it may surprise you to hear I had no role in the Shambolic Six's departures from the stage. They brought that upon themselves.
    "The centrists command the views of the vast majority of the country"

Do they? If the EU ref were a vote in Parliament, the centrists would have walked it. As it is, freed from the tribal nature of normal elections, a majority of voters explicitly voted against the centrist's view.

As for the "Shambolic Six", Farage quit having achieved all he had ever worked for, while Corbyn is still leader of the Labour Party, and has lit a fire under the cosy armchairs of the centrists.

Both would have bit your hand off 12 month sago to be where they are now.

The other four combined to help defeat the centrist view of EU membership.

But the elites are circling their wagons, while the useful idiots cheer them on.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,698
    edited July 2016
    Asking for a friend, ahem.

When will David Cameron be announcing his resignation honours list ?
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    edited July 2016
    Corbyn must now stay as leader and May must call an October election, which she should win very comfortably, possibly by a landslide.

Hard left Labour needs to be utterly eviscerated; Corbyn will then go, and the rebuilding can potentially commence.

Of course all this is simply fast forwarding from 2020, but it may mean that Labour could return to office in 2021 not 2025.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:

;-)

I think you are now at peace with yourself. This is where you have always belonged.
    But the kippers are splitters too aren't they - there's the headbanger lot to be led by Arron Banks as a tribute act to La Farage and the liberal free-market wing of Carswell and Hannan?
  • Options
    I note none of the other Labour runners are declaring before the NEC clears the situation up - that rather gives them an advantage I think over Eagle if Jezza is excluded (Hey Eaton might be right)
  • Options
    Bob__SykesBob__Sykes Posts: 1,176
    Jobabob said:

Re-May-ners?
  • Options

He told me this friday.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

Odds of Article 50 being triggered this year, with Brexit in 2018 must now be more likely than at breakfast time.

It has just dawned on me - Article 50 - therefore at least 49 other articles. Light reading, not.

358 Articles, I think ...
  • Options
    What will May's first unity cabinet be?

How about...

PM: May (Remain)
    Chancellor: Javid (Remain)
    Foreign: Hammond (Remain)
    Home: Gove (Leave)
    Justice: Raab (Leave)
    Brexit: Letwin (Remain)
    Defence: Fox (Leave)
    Education: Crabb (Remain)
    Work & Pensions: Patel (Leave)
    International Development: Greening (Remain)
    Transport: McLoughlin (Remain)
    Commons Leader: Grayling (Leave)
    Equalities: Morgan (Remain)
    Business: Leadsom (Leave)
    Culture: Johnson (Leave)
    Northern Ireland: Clark (Remain)
    Wales: Cairn (Remain)
    Scotland: Mundell (Remain)
    Energy: Rudd (Remain)
  • Options
    bunncobunnco Posts: 169
    Just walking past Downing Street. White mid-size removal van parked up inside the gates.
    Bunnco. your Man on the Spot
  • Options
    jonny83 said:

...You have sat too long for any good you have been doing lately. .......
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

Noone outside of us lot knows an election is on. I'd expect those numbers to change once we're into election season.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    edited July 2016

He told me this friday.
    The evening of the Esher and Walton Summer Garden Party. What a venue for a 'surprise' announcement.
  • Options

I heard, on the grapevine, that said peer was persona non grata with DC. Something to do with an European Arse malfunction, though that doesn't seem likely.

What's a few points between friends ....

• Options
    I've got the headline Iron Mayden lined up

Which reminds me, a bitter lefty speaks, from a few days ago.

@BrianReade: How apt that if you cross the last female Tory PM with the probable next one you get a thieving prostitute called Maggie May?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,949
    surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

Yeah, but assuming the polls are underestimating the right wing vote (as usual) the real position is probably something like>

Con 42% Lab 26% UKIP 18% Lib-Dem 6% Green 2%
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,883
    surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

But what if Labour's vote is stacked up in metropolitan areas?
  • Options
    Mr. Bunnco, top info.

Mr. Joel, welcome to pb.com.

Letwin should be locked in a cupboard. He's very nice but ought to be kept as far away from the exit negotiations as possible. Perhaps he should be Ambassador to the Moons of Jupiter.
  • Options
    Mayniacs
    Maypoles
    Amayzingers
    Amayzonians
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,045

Martin Boon

Today as good a day as any to launch tweaked online polling methods. New t/o weighting & political interest weight intro.

Pre-Leadsom VI (8-10th): @Conservatives 38%, @UKLabour 30%, @LibDems 8%, @UKIP 15%, @theSNP 5%, Green 4%, @Plaid_Cymru 1%, Other *%.

Dreadful poll for Labour. Sighs...
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

Yeah, but assuming the polls are underestimating the right wing vote (as usual) the real position is probably something like>

Con 42% Lab 26% UKIP 18% Lib-Dem 6% Green 2%
    Surely , you intended to say Con 52%
  • Options
    Artist said:

surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

If Labour chuck out Corbyn, I would imagine a lot of London stops voting Labour.
  • Options
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 1,112
    PlatoSaid said:

MontyHall said:

Jobabob said:

MontyHall said:

Jobabob said:

Leadsom – withdrawn
    Boris – retreated
    Gove – humiliated
    Farage – resigned
    Corbyn – mutinied
    Fox – beaten

Hater of democracy?
    Eh?

Well said.
    The will of the masses, in the UK at least, rarely involves following ideologues of the edge of a cliff as general election results prove.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704

They will be Maymite - you either love them or hate them
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    Pulpstar said:

Jason said:

@Pong reckons it is a decent chance, and he's a man who knows the odds. I doubt the 8 Lib Dem votes in the house will swing the vote if there is one either way, but it's not empty virtue signalling.
    I know the odds, but I don't know the thinking inside MayHQ unfortunately!
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,533
    edited July 2016

FF43 said:

stjohn said:

stjohn said:

This is just more scaremongering. One of the reasons trade deals with non EU countries take such a long time is because of the issues of the technicalities of standardisation. In this case that is not an issue. There will be very few technical issues and almost everything will be political.
    Exactly.

We will say: yes we accept all the EU technical standards now and in the future (when we will have little or no input into them), thanks very much.

And then we will walk away, our chests puffed out with pride at our newfound sovereignty.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    murali_s said:

Martin Boon

Today as good a day as any to launch tweaked online polling methods. New t/o weighting & political interest weight intro.

Pre-Leadsom VI (8-10th): @Conservatives 38%, @UKLabour 30%, @LibDems 8%, @UKIP 15%, @theSNP 5%, Green 4%, @Plaid_Cymru 1%, Other *%.

Dreadful poll for Labour. Sighs...
    30% for Labour.. with Corbyn as leader.. really?
  • Options
    Artist said:

surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

Lots of seats. Spread out vote is not a good idea. Ask the Lds and the Kippers.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,667

How about...

PM: May (Remain)
    Chancellor: Javid (Remain)
    Foreign: Hammond (Remain)
    Home: Gove (Leave)
    Justice: Raab (Leave)
    Brexit: Letwin (Remain)
    Defence: Fox (Leave)
    Education: Crabb (Remain)
    Work & Pensions: Patel (Leave)
    International Development: Greening (Remain)
    Transport: McLoughlin (Remain)
    Commons Leader: Grayling (Leave)
    Equalities: Morgan (Remain)
    Business: Leadsom (Leave)
    Culture: Johnson (Leave)
    Northern Ireland: Clark (Remain)
    Wales: Cairn (Remain)
    Scotland: Mundell (Remain)
    Energy: Rudd (Remain)

Grayling will get a big promotion.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

eek said:

FF43 said:

stjohn said:

stjohn said:

We're in a situation where we can't go back, nor can we move forward to a new arrangement without passing through a damaging and lengthy limbo first. The only sensible alternative is another existing arrangement, which is EEA. May, Merkel and others may realise this and try to make it work, at least in the interim. Brexit will be playing out for a long time to come.
    Well of course it will play out for a long time to come. The full effects of exit will not be felt for ten years maybe more and by that time there will have been so many other events that sorting out what the effects of exit were will be a matter of historians not politicians.

If you are suggesting that actually leaving will take many years then I think you might have hit the "negotiating" stage in the six(?) stages of grief.
  • Options

John Rentoul:

One other thing we do know about what kind of prime minister May will be: she won’t be hasty and hyperactive. She finds herself in this position by not doing things. We journalists puzzled over why she wasn’t running a leadership campaign before the referendum. She got on with her job. During the referendum campaign she said she wanted to withdraw from the European Convention on Human Rights, and got on with her job. After the referendum campaign, while Boris Johnson, Michael Gove and Andrea Leadsom destroyed themselves, she focused on the task at hand, setting out her programme for her leadership (not including withdrawing from the ECHR). If as prime minister she simply gets on with the job, she could be very popular indeed

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/theresa-may-what-kind-of-prime-minister-policies-what-she-really-meant-a7130911.html

She wanted to leae the ECHR as a sop to Leavers when she thought Remain would win. A few weeks later, she wanted to stay in the ECHR as a sop to Remainers when Leave did win. I like May, but if that is not politicking I do not know what is.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    May will be the oldest new PM since Callaghan in 1976.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    As I've said, I think most members are at a point where they'll look at leadership candidates' policies and make an assessment accordingly. Last year, it was felt that the ABC candidates didn't have many policies, though Yvette strengthened a bit towards the end.

Here's Angela Eagle's statement in full:
    http://angela4labourleader.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/Real-Leadership-Statement-from-Angela-Eagle.pdf

It seems, again, to be almost entirely devoid of policy. Perhaps the ideas will come at a later stage. But she won't win on this basis.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,283
    shiney2 said:

Maydens.

DisMayers?
    ReMayners?
  • Options

Welcome, Mr Joel.

• Options
    LadyBucketLadyBucket Posts: 590
    I would say that Andrea Leadsom made the right decision for all concerned. Her backers' stood behind her, look absolutely beyond fury. She is in for a very difficult time,but I hope the party and crowing media now back off.

• Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,667
    surbiton said:

PlatoSaid said:

Where next?
    The political journey of Winston McKenzie. I think he stood in London for the EDL?
  • Options
    Does anyone have any articles from the time Gordon Brown was thinking about a snap election to get his own mandate shortly after becoming PM?

Might be useful to compare then and now?

Ideally I'm hoping there's an article from a Labour MP close to Gordon Brown
This discussion has been closed.