Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Polling boost for May ahead of the 2nd round of MP voting –

SystemSystem Posts: 11,723
edited July 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Polling boost for May ahead of the 2nd round of MP voting – bad news for Gove

There’s a new national phone poll out from Survation which has CON 36%, LAB 32%, UKIP 12% and LD 9%. The poll also asked favourability questions about the five who were the Tory leadership race until Tuesday evening. The figures are in the chart above and show Theresa May in a totally dominating position with Michael Gove trailing badly.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,022
    First, and ohhh yeahhh :D
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,855
    Second....like Leadsom....
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,022
    Evening/morning!
  • Options
    JennyFreemanJennyFreeman Posts: 488
    Gove's latest shenanigans on the texting, for which Nick Boles is taking the rap, should see him finally come unstuck. The problem is that he is proving so Machiavellian that we cannot be sure.

Although there is one thing I can state: he's no Frank Underwood.
  • Options

Gove's latest shenanigans on the texting, for which Nick Boles is taking the rap, should see him finally come unstuck. The problem is that he is proving so Machiavellian that we cannot be sure.

Although there is one thing I can state: he's no Frank Underwood.

Just when you thought his reputation could not sink any lower!

Boles tied with Jenkins for "least helpful supporter" in the campaign?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,283
    You lead some, you follow some.
  • Options
    PaulyPauly Posts: 897
    How much of this can be attributed to name recognition? It would be interesting to see name recognition statistics alongside to see any correlation...
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,322
    May supporters surely now know that if they get Gove into the Final then May has won.

She would beat Gove by an absolute landslide with the members - the Survation poll said over 50% and I would think it would actually be nearer 60% - ie about 80-20.

Why on earth they want to take a risk on allowing Leadsom to build momentum and then the members doing a "Corbyn" I can't imagine.

They will kick themselves if they allow Leadsom into the Final and she then goes on to win.
  • Options
    JennyFreemanJennyFreeman Posts: 488
    MikeL said:

May supporters surely now know that if they get Gove into the Final then May has won.

Why on earth they want to take a risk on allowing Leadsom to build momentum and then the members doing a "Corbyn" I can't imagine.

They will kick themselves if they allow Leadsom into the Final and she then goes on to win.

Everything about that makes me want to vomit.

Have you and Cameron's cronies learned nothing from the EU Referendum fiasco? In the age of social media people are not idiots. If you treat them as fools prepare to look foolish.

The ballot should be of the two best candidates for the job. Period.
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,486

MikeL said:

Have you and Cameron's cronies learned nothing from the EU Referendum fiasco? In the age of social media people are not idiots. If you treat them as fools prepare to look foolish.

In an ideal world yes, but that ship sailed. The final ballot will feature a decent shout for PM and one of two people who are egregiously unsuitable. It's probably why there are calls for a coronation.
  • Options

MikeL said:

Much as I think Leadsom is far from ready for the PM role (and may never be, we simply don't know yet) Gove is such damaged goods a final between him & May will stink to high heaven.

We trusted UK voters over BREXIT, time to trust Con members over the Premiership.

That said I fear a Leadsome administration will be a disaster as she so clearly does not enjoy the support of the HoC. But I am looking forward to the IDS lectures on "loyalty"!
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,221
    Blimey, I agree with Grant Shapps.
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

MikeL said:

In an ideal world yes, but that ship sailed. The final ballot will feature a decent shout for PM and one of two people who are egregiously unsuitable. It's probably why there are calls for a coronation.
    If we aren't to have a coronation better to bring the ballot forward - September is too long to wait.
  • Options

MikeL said:

Much as I think Leadsom is far from ready for the PM role (and may never be, we simply don't know yet) Gove is such damaged goods a final between him & May will stink to high heaven.

We trusted UK voters over BREXIT, time to trust Con members over the Premiership.

That said I fear a Leadsome administration will be a disaster as she so clearly does not enjoy the support of the HoC. But I am looking forward to the IDS lectures on "loyalty"!
    Ms Vance - having had a few conversations with my network of Conservatives I'm of the opinion that whoever is on the ballot against May will get a shellacking. I'm increasingly comforted that the Tory party will make the obvious choice.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

MikeL said:

We ended up with IDS because of shenanigans in the voting. Not ideal to repeat it. It ought to be May, she is the stand out candidate, but if the members are stupid enough to chose Gove or Leadsom, then so be it. That's democracy with all its warts.

Somehow after seeing Labour end up with Corbyn,it must be odds on that the membership will do the sensible thing and chose the safe option. Mrs May.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Morning all.

Grant Shapps, does have a point, I just wonder if a 3 week postal ballot period is sufficient time for the votes to arrive from the more obscure and far flung high commissions and colonies. According to my great aunt Maud, a jar of marmalade took months to arrive in Gaborone, Botswana, but that was 1927, perhaps things have improved.
  • Options

ToryJim said:

MikeL said:

If we aren't to have a coronation better to bring the ballot forward - September is too long to wait.
    Sympathise with that but the timetable is set. Not much tends to happen in August so I'm fairly comfortable with September. Mass postal ballots of members are difficult to do in ultra short timescales.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,986
    Given the lies she has told, I am genuinely amazed that Leadsom has any support at all. But just as hundreds of thousands of Labour members will forgive Corbyn anything because they see him as the true keeper of the flame; so, it seems, a few tens of thousands of Tories will allow Ms Mitty her fibs because they see her as the second coming of Mrs T.

And as a result 65 million people may have her as the leader of their country. It's great to be so free at last and to have taken back control.
  • Options

Morning all.

Grant Shapps, does have a point, I just wonder if a 3 week postal ballot period is sufficient time for the votes to arrive from the more obscure and far flung high commissions and colonies. According to my great aunt Maud, a jar of marmalade took months to arrive in Gaborone, Botswana, but that was 1927, perhaps things have improved.

Ideally you'd do it by secure e-ballot but the Tory membership demographic mitigates against that. Probably for 20 years into the future too ;)
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013
    O/T in Aussie news, another seat has now been called for the Coalition, taking them to 73. At this stage, it looks like they'll win two more, giving them 75/70 for Labour. Bob Katter says he'll support the Coalition.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Latest Sky News Numbers:

May 169 .. Leadsom 51 .. Gove 28

Voting is 9am - 4pm .. Result around 4.30pm
  • Options

MikeL said:

We ended up with IDS because of shenanigans in the voting. Not ideal to repeat it. It ought to be May, she is the stand out candidate, but if the members are stupid enough to chose Gove or Leadsom, then so be it. That's democracy with all its warts.

Somehow after seeing Labour end up with Corbyn,it must be odds on that the membership will do the sensible thing and chose the safe option. Mrs May.
    it's hard to see how May can't win this, unless Leadsom really shines. Gove is far too damaged goods to go before the members.
  • Options
    dugarbandierdugarbandier Posts: 2,596
    totally off-topic, I just re-read Primo Levi's short story "Carbon" (along with an commentary which alerted me to a few things I didn't know).

What a splendid writer. (the commentary moved me to tears too. What an old softy)
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,578
    ToryJim said:

MikeL said:

Ms Vance - having had a few conversations with my network of Conservatives I'm of the opinion that whoever is on the ballot against May will get a shellacking. I'm increasingly comforted that the Tory party will make the obvious choice.
    I sense the same. Whilst ConHome and conversations with a few councillors suggests that Leadsom will get some support in activist circles, the majority of armchair members (and given their age the armchair is the usual habitat for most of them) will go for May.
  • Options

MikeL said:

As pompous as it sounds Tory members have a duty to the country. To choose an inexperienced fibber to lead us all at a time like this would be unforgiveable. May leaves me cold, as you'd expect, but she is at least a grown-up with a track record who you'd trust to calm the markets and get down to business on a Brexit deal. That has to be the priority now. Fantasies about finishing what Mrs T started have to be put on the back burner.
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

ToryJim said:

MikeL said:

Sympathise with that but the timetable is set. Not much tends to happen in August so I'm fairly comfortable with September. Mass postal ballots of members are difficult to do in ultra short timescales.
    While "Not much tends to happen in August" I fear this August will be different....drifting is not a safe option at the moment!
  • Options

MikeL said:

I thought the idea of the system is that the ballot is of the two candidates least unacceptable to MPs, specifically to avoid a corbyn situation? That isn't necessarily the best.
  • Options

Given the lies she has told, I am genuinely amazed that Leadsom has any support at all. But just as hundreds of thousands of Labour members will forgive Corbyn anything because they see him as the true keeper of the flame; so, it seems, a few tens of thousands of Tories will allow Ms Mitty her fibs because they see her as the second coming of Mrs T.

And as a result 65 million people may have her as the leader of their country. It's great to be so free at last and to have taken back control.

Mr Observer - I agree over the motivation of Leadweight supporters. I don't think moderate Tories will be passive in watching party and country destroyed by ideological purists.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,024
    edited July 2016

MikeL said:

As pompous as it sounds Tory members have a duty to the country. To choose an inexperienced fibber to lead us all at a time like this would be unforgiveable. May leaves me cold, as you'd expect, but she is at least a grown-up with a track record who you'd trust to calm the markets and get down to business on a Brexit deal. That has to be the priority now. Fantasies about finishing what Mrs T started have to be put on the back burner.
    Absolutely. I have faith in the membership to do the right thing and install the grown-up.
    We're not recruiting thousands of UKIP members, the cut off for voting was three months *before* Cameron resigned, deliberately to stop the infiltration that led to Corbyn.

Don't be surprised if the MPs put Gove on the ballot either, just to reinforce the point to the members.
  • Options
    Good article on us, Blair and Iraq. Some uncomfortable truths to ponder ...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07/06/tony-blair-did-not-bewitch-us-into-backing-war-in-iraq-we-let-hi/
  • Options

MikeL said:

It's a cliche that Marxists don't understand Marx, well Thatcherites really don't understand Thatcher!
  • Options

ToryJim said:

ToryJim said:

MikeL said:

While "Not much tends to happen in August" I fear this August will be different....drifting is not a safe option at the moment!
    Maybe, who knows. I'm a patriot so I'd sacrifice my vote for Tory leader in the interests of the country.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,217
    Here's a cheeky (and silly) scenario:

May supporters keep Leadsom off ballot; Leadsom cries foul, isn't listened to, and decamps to UKIP, perhaps with one or two other MPs. She then becomes UKIP's new leader.

Meanwhile. Carswell sobs quietly on the seawall at Jaywick.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    ToryJim said:

MikeL said:

It's a cliche that Marxists don't understand Marx, well Thatcherites really don't understand Thatcher!
    I'm more of a Lawsonite inbred with a Redwoodite. (Without the climate denial)
  • Options

May supporters keep Leadsom off ballot; Leadsom cries foul, isn't listened to, and decamps to UKIP, perhaps with one or two other MPs. She then becomes UKIP's new leader.

I have issues with Leadsom such as her barely passing acquaintance with honesty, her inexperience and the cultish behaviour of her groupies. UKIP she is not though.
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

I have issues with Leadsom such as her barely passing acquaintance with honesty, her inexperience and the cultish behaviour of her groupies. UKIP she is not though.
    But what is UKIP? They seem to have managed to break the traditional landscape of UK politics, as have the SNP in Scotland, by appealing to voters of both the left and right. The new UKIP leader will have to try to maintain that same disparate group together. It's possible, as the SNP have shown.

The new UKIP leader could be from anywhere in that broad coalition: he or she just needs to be able to appeal to the rest.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    FPT:

Labour's main job now is to provide a credible opposition to the government at a time of pivotal importance in this country's history. The Brexit deal the Tories propose and then negotiate demands forensic interrogation to ensure it's the best we can get. A good opposition would play a big part in that. A Corbyn-led opposition can't do it, not least because all the genuine talent - perhaps with the exception of John McDonnell - is not in the shadow cabinet and will not be while Corbyn leader.

Beyond that the primary task of the Labour leader at the next GE will be to deny the Tories an overall majority. Corbyn can't do that either.

In principle I agree, and IME so do a lot of Labour members. But they know that the potential alternative candidates - whether last time's lineup or the Eagles of this world - are so uninspiring that they are unlikely to do much better. A lot of Labour members I know do realise they are doomed under Corbyn, but they think they are doomed anyway and would prefer to go over the top and be mown down for the policies they have always supported rather than to 'die' for nothing.

Which is why if the mythical Obama did appear from nowhere, things would probably change, provided s/he has a solution to some of their strategic and political challenges as well.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07/06/tony-blair-did-not-bewitch-us-into-backing-war-in-iraq-we-let-hi/

I remember the days where the yellow press were warmongering. It is too simple to just blame Blair though he certainly is guilty of abusing his position. Parliament voted for war, and the Tories were particularly keen.
  • Options
    Pauly said:

ToryJim said:

MikeL said:

I'm more of a Lawsonite inbred with a Redwoodite. (Without the climate denial)
    You never hear a peep out of Redwood these days.,
  • Options

ToryJim said:

But what is UKIP? They seem to have managed to break the traditional landscape of UK politics, as have the SNP in Scotland, by appealing to voters of both the left and right. The new UKIP leader will have to try to maintain that same disparate group together. It's possible, as the SNP have shown.

The new UKIP leader could be from anywhere in that broad coalition: he or she just needs to be able to appeal to the rest.

Key to the SNP's success was not only Labour's rottenness, but also it's own tack to the left. What began as essentially a right wing nationalist party became one whose rhetoric was credibly social democratic. To win in Labour heartlands - which are undoubtedly up for grabs with Corbyn in charge - UKIP needs a credible tale to tell on public spending, the NHS and redistributive policies. Being tough on immigration is not going to be enough.

• Options

ToryJim said:

Well i think they are largely redundant. The SNP can keep the show on the road because they did not get their primary aim. They can continue with the "it would be so much better if" approach. UKIP don't have that so will wither and die. Farage knows this so got out before the edifice collapsed on him.
  • Options

I remember the days where the yellow press were warmongering. It is too simple to just blame Blair though he certainly is guilty of abusing his position. Parliament voted for war, and the Tories were particularly keen.

I supported the war and the truth is I chose not to listen to the many very well-informed people who opposed it. That was my choice and I have to take responsibility for it. As the article makes clear, it's not as if Blair's way of operating was unknown in 2003. I could and should have given more weight to what the likes of Robin Cook and Ken Clarke were saying. I decided not to. It was my call.

• Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,464

ToryJim said:

Key to the SNP's success was not only Labour's rottenness, but also it's own tack to the left. What began as essentially a right wing nationalist party became one whose rhetoric was credibly social democratic. To win in Labour heartlands - which are undoubtedly up for grabs with Corbyn in charge - UKIP needs a credible tale to tell on public spending, the NHS and redistributive policies. Being tough on immigration is not going to be enough.

We should also factor in the SNP's ground game, which UKIP cannot match in equivalent seats in England and Wales. Labour's so-called electoral castles are built on just as rotten bases with no meaningful campaigning activity having taken place for years if not decades but unless UKIP can reach out to the voters on the doorsteps as well as the airwaves, they'll not make the same kind of inroads.
  • Options
    Theresa May has (almost certainly) achieved a remarkable reward for doing absolutely nothing the Referendum campaign, as Cameron, Osborne, Johnson, and Gove have destroyed each other.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

It's great, isn't it. If you don't like the job she does you can vote against any candidate who promised to support her in office.

And if enough people in the country agree with you she gets sacked. You couldn't that with Juncker or Schultz or Merkel so it's a definite improvement
  • Options
    On topic, three weeks in August is far too short. People have holidays booked and the candidates need to be able to campaign meaningfully to the electorate. The markets will sort themselves out and a few weeks either way won't make any difference.

The alternative is not to go to the electorate at all and for Leadsom and Gove to withdraw - but if there is to be a members' vote, it needs to be a meaningful one.
  • Options

I supported the war and the truth is I chose not to listen to the many very well-informed people who opposed it. That was my choice and I have to take responsibility for it. As the article makes clear, it's not as if Blair's way of operating was unknown in 2003. I could and should have given more weight to what the likes of Robin Cook and Ken Clarke were saying. I decided not to. It was my call.

It was the 45 minute claim to that frightened most people inc me . Wasn't it all over the Evening Standard that day.

We were lied to.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,739

It was the 45 minute claim to that frightened most people inc me . Wasn't it all over the Evening Standard that day.

We were lied to.
    The 45 minute claim was absurd. At the time it was obvious that Blair had promised Bush that he would support him in invading Iraq.
    Robin Cook, Charles Kennedy (and the libdems) and Ken Clarke are the only ones who come out of this with credit.
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/watch-charles-kennedys-legendary-speech-8357792
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/robin-cooks-powerful-resignation-speech-8357795
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/democracylive/hi/historic_moments/newsid_8194000/8194251.stm
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Theresa May has (almost certainly) achieved a remarkable reward for doing absolutely nothing the Referendum campaign, as Cameron, Osborne, Johnson, and Gove have destroyed each other.

Rewarding fence sitting is regrettable in my view.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    IanB2 said:

FPT:

Labour's main job now is to provide a credible opposition to the government at a time of pivotal importance in this country's history. The Brexit deal the Tories propose and then negotiate demands forensic interrogation to ensure it's the best we can get. A good opposition would play a big part in that. A Corbyn-led opposition can't do it, not least because all the genuine talent - perhaps with the exception of John McDonnell - is not in the shadow cabinet and will not be while Corbyn leader.

Beyond that the primary task of the Labour leader at the next GE will be to deny the Tories an overall majority. Corbyn can't do that either.

In principle I agree, and IME so do a lot of Labour members. But they know that the potential alternative candidates - whether last time's lineup or the Eagles of this world - are so uninspiring that they are unlikely to do much better. A lot of Labour members I know do realise they are doomed under Corbyn, but they think they are doomed anyway and would prefer to go over the top and be mown down for the policies they have always supported rather than to 'die' for nothing.

Which is why if the mythical Obama did appear from nowhere, things would probably change, provided s/he has a solution to some of their strategic and political challenges as well.

If Labour members were clever, though, they'd see that the Tories have just abandoned their entire economic and fiscal policy. The whole framework of political discourse has been shattered by the Brexit vote. There is actually now a huge opportunity. But Corbyn is not the leader to take it. If he were to step down it would not result in a coronation for Angela Eagle or another tired face from the past, but in a contest between four or five MPs representing different strands of Labour thinking. Members would decide the winner and the high likelihood is that the vast majority of MPs would get behind him/her. That would then give the new leader the full PLP from which to choose a shadow cabinet and a range of perspectives from which to build a strong manifesto. All the time knowing that the whole economic and fiscal argument has changed. It's a gift.

Sticking with Corbyn only makes sense if you believe he is genuinely best placed to deliver the best possible outcome for Labour at the next GE. I don't think that any such argument is credible.

• Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Charles said:

It's great, isn't it. If you don't like the job she does you can vote against any candidate who promised to support her in office.

And if enough people in the country agree with you she gets sacked. You couldn't that with Juncker or Schultz or Merkel so it's a definite improvement
    :smiley:
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

She did a very good job of keeping her head down, as was pointed out here at the time.
    If Cameron had done the same, we probably wouldn't be in the position of now needing a new leader.
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    edited July 2016

ToryJim said:

When Ms May goes for full fat EEA with Freedom of Movement and opts into every EU body in sight, as seems likely, the UKIP leader won't have to do much more than stand looking incredulous and point at her to see their membership double.

Should Labour figure how to sold a problem like Jeremy in the next year or so the Tories are in deep shit in that case, they will lose seats to the kippers, and have created a terribly bad stink around their leadership generally from all the lies and evasions around the referendum campaign. With a continuity Cameron leader, if the economy does okay they will get a kicking because of all the bullshit about armageddon, if it does badly they will get a kicking because they are at the helm, lose lose.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,533
    edited July 2016

The idiocy of it is she has of course got plenty of "real world" experience vs a lifelong SPAD/policy wonk, over the course of a solid but mediocre career in the City.

She then, no doubt for noble reasons, decided to run for parliament and obviously felt she needed to embellish her past when in fact there is no shame in a solid but mediocre career outside Parliament.

An early and naive misjudgment but then who can blame her; she probably thought she would languish happily on the back benches with little scrutiny and never in a million years thought she would be running for Party leader and PM.
  • Options
    Charles said:

I could do all of that anyway. Nothing has changed. And before we dismiss Ms Merkel and Mr Juncker from our lives let's see what kind of Brexit deal we get.

• Options
    Sandpit said:

Sean_F said:

She did a very good job of keeping her head down, as was pointed out here at the time.
    If Cameron had done the same, we probably wouldn't be in the position of now needing a new leader.

And an entirely new economic and fiscal policy.

• Options
    Indigo said:

ToryJim said:

When Ms May goes for full fat EEA with Freedom of Movement and opts into every EU body in sight, as seems likely, the UKIP leader won't have to do much more than stand looking incredulous and point at her to see their membership double.

Should Labour figure how to sold a problem like Jeremy in the next year or so the Tories are in deep shit in that case, they will lose seats to the kippers, and have created a terribly bad stink around their leadership generally from all the lies and evasions around the referendum campaign. With a continuity Cameron leader, if the economy does okay they will get a kicking because of all the bullshit about armageddon, if it does badly they will get a kicking because they are at the helm, lose lose.
    To some extent I agree.

The full-withdrawal solution (which was what both leave campaigns campaigned on) will be disastrous to the economy, and cost the jobs not just of the hated migrants, but of many people who believed UKIP when they said it was the answer.

UKIP *may* get hurt as people realise that migrants were not the cause of every problem facing the country.

As an aside, I see the EU becoming increasingly popular over the years post-leave, with the caveat that depends on the EU not failing itself.
  • Options

We were lied to.
    The 45 minute claim was absurd. At the time it was obvious that Blair had promised Bush that he would support him in invading Iraq.
    Robin Cook, Charles Kennedy (and the libdems) and Ken Clarke are the only ones who come out of this with credit.
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/watch-charles-kennedys-legendary-speech-8357792
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/robin-cooks-powerful-resignation-speech-8357795
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/democracylive/hi/historic_moments/newsid_8194000/8194251.stm

Yep - weeping and wailing about being lied to doesn't cut the mustard. All those who supported the invasion had plenty of credible voices opposing it to listen to. They (we) decided not to give them the credence history shows they deserved.

• Options

IanB2 said:

FPT:

If Labour members were clever, though, they'd see that the Tories have just abandoned their entire economic and fiscal policy. The whole framework of political discourse has been shattered by the Brexit vote. There is actually now a huge opportunity. But Corbyn is not the leader to take it. If he were to step down it would not result in a coronation for Angela Eagle or another tired face from the past, but in a contest between four or five MPs representing different strands of Labour thinking. Members would decide the winner and the high likelihood is that the vast majority of MPs would get behind him/her. That would then give the new leader the full PLP from which to choose a shadow cabinet and a range of perspectives from which to build a strong manifesto. All the time knowing that the whole economic and fiscal argument has changed. It's a gift.

Sticking with Corbyn only makes sense if you believe he is genuinely best placed to deliver the best possible outcome for Labour at the next GE. I don't think that any such argument is credible.

80% wishful thinking, sorry. Again, you are of course right, but trying to write the story of a universe parallel to the one we are actually in.

Never mind the cleverness of the members. If these potential Titans of the different wings of the party a) existed, b) were clever and c) bought your story, then all they had to do was gather the nominations and stand. Instead they went to tremendous trouble to choreograph hourly resignations spread over two days, then realise they hadn't a clue what to do next, then start talking about putting up some no-hoper like Angela Eagle, bigging her up as "strong and resolute" the very day after she had burst into tears on live television, then realise this strategy was doomed, then slink away in humiliation. So the vast majority of this PLP to whom you look for salvation have just demonstrated to everyone else that they have not a clue.
  • Options

Indigo said:

ToryJim said:

To some extent I agree.

The full-withdrawal solution (which was what both leave campaigns campaigned on) will be disastrous to the economy, and cost the jobs not just of the hated migrants, but of many people who believed UKIP when they said it was the answer.

UKIP *may* get hurt as people realise that migrants were not the cause of every problem facing the country.

As an aside, I see the EU becoming increasingly popular over the years post-leave, with the caveat that depends on the EU not failing itself.
    That paradox is one of my favourites. The EU Is a huge and bullying supranational body riding roughshod over member states' interests, especially the UK's; but is on the verge of falling apart any minute and especially once the UK has left.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,128

On topic, three weeks in August is far too short. People have holidays booked and the candidates need to be able to campaign meaningfully to the electorate. The markets will sort themselves out and a few weeks either way won't make any difference.

The alternative is not to go to the electorate at all and for Leadsom and Gove to withdraw - but if there is to be a members' vote, it needs to be a meaningful one.

Given the age of the average Tory member, I would not expect them to be away in August. Too expensive and, for many, too many children about.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Sean_F said:

Masterly inactivity.

I too am amazed.
  • Options

If he were to step down it would not result in a coronation for Angela Eagle or another tired face from the past, but in a contest between four or five MPs representing different strands of Labour thinking.

This would seem to be at least part of the problem, there isn't much public evidence of "labour thinking", there are instead the tired old New Labour vacuity which is well past it sell by date and is in any case indistinguishable from Cameroonism, there is the jackdaw like miliband approach of trying to gee up a new labour position with some worthless eye catching baubles, and there is the Corbyn archeological approach to Labour policy.

There may well be lots of good work going on behind the scenes, but no visible Labour figure has articulated a coherent vision of what a centre left party stands for, and what it is going to for working people in the world of globalisation and austerity, and critically, how it is going to pay for it.

There is no easy tax gain left to generate sacks of cash to pour over worthy causes, and in any case the public are not going to wear it after the Brown years. Wealth is concentrate in the hands of highly mobile business and elites, and if we are in the EEA with "freedom of capital" they are in an environment that positively encourages them to minimise their tax liabilities.

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,028

I supported toppling Saddam because he was a wrong'un.
    Always knew the 45 minute claim was bullshit.

With hindsight was an expensive, counterproductive and wrong move - so well done to all those who opposed at the time. Blair misleading the house was unforgiveable and has eroded alot of trust - the ends do not always justify the means.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

ToryJim said:

ToryJim said:

MikeL said:

An awful lot of voters will be on holiday in Europe in July and August - 20/30% lighter in £/€s compared to last summer. They may not return quite as full rested.
  • Options

ToryJim said:

We should also factor in the SNP's ground game, which UKIP cannot match in equivalent seats in England and Wales. Labour's so-called electoral castles are built on just as rotten bases with no meaningful campaigning activity having taken place for years if not decades but unless UKIP can reach out to the voters on the doorsteps as well as the airwaves, they'll not make the same kind of inroads.

Yep - the SNP did the hard slog and built a solid base. There's no sign yet that UKIP is prepared to do that. It may be one reason they find it hard to hold onto council seats they win.

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

With hindsight was an expensive, counterproductive and wrong move - so well done to all those who opposed at the time. Blair misleading the house was unforgiveable and has eroded alot of trust - the ends do not always justify the means.
    Tortuous and not relevant to the decision at the time, I nevertheless have a lot of sympathy for the possible subsequent sequence of events ((Saddam still in power, Arab Spring, etc) that TB outlined in answering the question are we safer/better off now.
  • Options

Given the age of the average Tory member, I would not expect them to be away in August. Too expensive and, for many, too many children about.
    Although the average age might be 60+, there are still plenty of 18-60 members and to structurally disadvantage them would bias the outcome. Six weeks or nothing.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    p.10
    Leadsom
    Unknown (all): 40%, Con voters: 30%
    Don't know, but have heard of. All: 19%, Con voters: 21%

May
    Unknown (all): 8%, Con voters: 3%
    Don't know, but have heard of. All: 16%, Con voters: 6%

Leadsom can turn her favourables around very quickly. She's just unknown.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    I supported the Afghan invasion and opposed the Iraq invasion.
    My 3 reasons were
    1) It would distract from completing the job in Afghanistan
    2) We weren't committing enough troops to execute the invasion to execute it quickly and with minimal allied casualties
    3) We weren't commiting anywhere near enough troops to occupy the country and rebuild it.

I was right on 1, very wrong on 2 and terrifyingly right on 3
  • Options

I am not confident that May will get the mood music right, which is probably what it comes down to. We probably need to join the EEA for economic reasons, but if it going to wash in the country it needs to have the appearance of being a reluctant choice forced by necessity, and it needs to be minimalist without lots of opting into the various bells and whistles, and with some window dressing around Freedom of Movement.

If May goes for full EEA, opts into everything in sight, and accepts Freedom of Movement without even the pretence of fighting over it, surrounded by a chorus of adoring city types and gloating remainers its going to be an electoral disaster and the kippers will pick up 10% in the polls for sitting at home drinking tea.

• Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,739

We were lied to.

Yep - weeping and wailing about being lied to doesn't cut the mustard. All those who supported the invasion had plenty of credible voices opposing it to listen to. They (we) decided not to give them the credence history shows they deserved.

The Sun over a picture of Charles Kennedy and a snake:
    "One is a spineless reptile that spits venom... the other is a snake"
    http://indy100.independent.co.uk/article/remembering-what-the-sun-said-about-charles-kennedys-stance-on-the-iraq-war--ZkzlMM2PUrZ

What a despicable rag - on the wrong side of history again.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789

MikeL said:

Given that 2/3 of the candidates should be let nowhere near 10DS ever, that creates something of a challenge.
  • Options

p.10
    Leadsom

May

Err I'm not sure that increasing knowledge of her rather economical economical relationship with honesty will produce a more favourable view.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,543

Now, I hate Gove (you'd never guess, would you? :wink: ) and I think he'd be a bloody awful PM. I've had more Schadenfreude over watching him self destruct in the last fortnight than I get over watching Australia collapse against Bangladesh.

That being said, he's clearly the second best candidate after May. He has a long cabinet career, he's a political centrist, he is a good administrator, he's intelligent and he runs a slick media operation. The fact he's an arrogant and unpleasant dogmatist with a record of backstabbing and demonisation means he's a weak candidate overall, but that's not to ignore his very real strengths.

Leadsom, by contrast, had an unexciting career in the City, a record of solid but uninspiring performances on the backbenches, and nil impact as a junior minister. She's only on the ballot at all because she's (a) a woman and (b) once did OK as one-third of a debating team on live TV, a performance she has been unable to match since. She's also been proven to be a liar.

So I think actually if we're judging on merit the final two should be May vs Gove. It probably won't be cause other factors will come into play. But it should be. And that has nothing to do with tactical voting or wanting May to win, which she will against either of these two.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133

Although the average age might be 60+, there are still plenty of 18-60 members and to structurally disadvantage them would bias the outcome. Six weeks or nothing.
    It'll have to be nothing then - the country can't afford another six weeks without a PM.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

FPT:

If Labour members were clevert the vast majority of MPs would get behind him/her. That would then give the new leader the full PLP from which to choose a shadow cabinet and a range of perspectives from which to build a strong manifesto. All the time knowing that the whole economic and fiscal argument has changed. It's a gift.

80% wishful thinking, sorry. Again, you are of course right, but trying to write the story of a universe parallel to the one we are actually in.

Never mind the cleverness of the members. If these potential Titans of the different wings of the party a) existed, b) were clever and c) bought your story, then all they had to do was gather the nominations and stand. Instead they went to tremendous trouble to choreograph hourly resignations spread over two days, then realise they hadn't a clue what to do next, then start talking about putting up some no-hoper like Angela Eagle, bigging her up as "strong and resolute" the very day after she had burst into tears on live television, then realise this strategy was doomed, then slink away in humiliation. So the vast majority of this PLP to whom you look for salvation have just demonstrated to everyone else that they have not a clue.

The PLP across all its strands except the hard left has made clear it has no confidence in Corbyn's ability to lead. It might reasonably have expected that to trigger his resignation. It didn't. That's where we are. A large number of members would clearly prefer Corbyn to remain in place than for Labour to provide effective opposition or to look like a credible alternative government. Corbyn clearly feels the same. I don't blame the PLP for that, I blame the members. Continuing, unchallenged Tory rule is now their responsibility.

• Options
    edited July 2016

We were lied to.

The Sun over a picture of Charles Kennedy and a snake:
    "One is a spineless reptile that spits venom... the other is a snake"
    http://indy100.independent.co.uk/article/remembering-what-the-sun-said-about-charles-kennedys-stance-on-the-iraq-war--ZkzlMM2PUrZ

What a despicable rag - on the wrong side of history again.
    It is quite a good line though in the right context. Would you put Johnson or Eagle in there today? Or both perhaps?

EDIT - my favourite along those lines was a photograph of a not-very-popular Dean in front of the organ case of his Cathedral. The caption read, 'the cathedral's mighty organ, with a large musical instrument.'
  • Options
    felix said:

ToryJim said:

ToryJim said:

MikeL said:

An awful lot of voters will be on holiday in Europe in July and August - 20/30% lighter in £/€s compared to last summer. /blockquote>

And about the same as summer 2013.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,190
    IanB2 said:

Corbyn is safe now until Conference, when things will get a whole lot worse for anybody wanting to challenge the Hard Left.

The Labour Party of the PLP is dead. And they killed it themselves. Those handful of MPs with some romanticised notion of fair play, that all wings of the party should have a voice in the leadership election. Margaret Beckett, Jo Cox, a tiny number of others. They looked at poor struggling Jeremy and his worthy but hopeless cause and went, "aw, bless...."

And then saw their party eaten from the inside.

• Options
    Indigo said:

ToryJim said:

That's one scenario, certainly, in which UKIP could prosper. Conservative voters in the Thames Estuary, East Anglia, or West Midlands probably weren't voting Leave because they wish to prioritise the interests of the City.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    TOPPING said:

Indigo said:

ToryJim said:

To some extent I agree.

That paradox is one of my favourites. The EU Is a huge and bullying supranational body riding roughshod over member states' interests, especially the UK's; but is on the verge of falling apart any minute and especially once the UK has left.
    If you are fighting a duel with someone, they may be bleeding, they may be distracted and they may be mortally wounded, but if they are holding a weapon, they are still an existential threat
  • Options

ToryJim said:

Yep - the SNP did the hard slog and built a solid base. There's no sign yet that UKIP is prepared to do that. It may be one reason they find it hard to hold onto council seats they win.

UKIP are roughly in the position the SNP were in c. 1992.
  • Options

It'll have to be nothing then - the country can't afford another six weeks without a PM.
    A PM performs a different role from a Pharaoh. The country can muddle along just fine.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,128
    TOPPING said:

Pulpstar said:

Tortuous and not relevant to the decision at the time, I nevertheless have a lot of sympathy for the possible subsequent sequence of events ((Saddam still in power, Arab Spring, etc) that TB outlined in answering the question are we safer/better off now.
    The trouble was that for the period of the Iran-Iraq War Saddam was OUR wrong ‘un.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Corbyn is safe now until Conference, when things will get a whole lot worse for anybody wanting to challenge the Hard Left.

The Labour Party of the PLP is dead. And they killed it themselves. Those handful of MPs with some romanticised notion of fair play, that all wings of the party should have a voice in the leadership election. Margaret Beckett, Jo Cox, a tiny number of others. They looked at poor struggling Jeremy and his worthy but hopeless cause and went, "aw, bless...."

And then saw their party eaten from the inside.

William Hague once wrote that the first rule of politics is you should only show magnanimity when it is either irrelevant or positively hurtful to the enemy.

Maybe this is why Plaid Llafur have never been very good at politics - just five elections with a majority of more than 10 in 124 years, three of them under Blair.
  • Options

p.10
    Leadsom

May

Maybe she'll be less unknown after she's spent 20 years in Parliament, 17 on the front bench and six in one of the Great Offices of State.

The Conservative members are, well, Conservative. They're not going to vote for a complete unknown, especially not when in power and choosing a Prime Minister.
  • Options

felix said:

ToryJim said:

ToryJim said:

MikeL said:

An awful lot of voters will be on holiday in Europe in July and August - 20/30% lighter in £/€s compared to last summer. /blockquote>

Oh dear - you think that's the view they'll take. Utterly deluded.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    edited July 2016

We were lied to.

Corbyn was right , Blair was wrong. One of the reasons Blairites like yourself can't forgive Jeremy and want him gone. Luckily he's untouchable.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

p.10
    Leadsom

May

Maybe she'll be less unknown after she's spent 20 years in Parliament, 17 on the front bench and six in one of the Great Offices of State.

The Conservative members are, well, Conservative. They're not going to vote for a complete unknown, especially not when in power and choosing a Prime Minister.
    Conservative members will have the opportunity to see Ms May and Ms Leadsom together at hustings around the country. They will be able to compare the two and make an informed choice.

• Options
    Sean_F said:

ToryJim said:

One of UKIP's problems is that the voters who won the referendum simply won't turn out for local elections and are on the margins of heading out for generals. If UKIP could somehow get the regular non voting block voting more it would be powerful for them.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383

The last CCP I attended was 80% 25-50s.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Sean_F said:

ToryJim said:

One of UKIP's problems is that the voters who won the referendum simply won't turn out for local elections and are on the margins of heading out for generals. If UKIP could somehow get the regular non voting block voting more it would be powerful for them.
    We need to trick the so called progressives into introducing PR and mandatory voting...
  • Options

A PM performs a different role from a Pharaoh. The country can muddle along just fine.
    Normally it can, but these are not normal times. The country needs leadership despite TOry members' holiday plans. Cut the ballot to 3 weeks.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

p.10
    Leadsom

May

Conservative members will have the opportunity to see Ms May and Ms Leadsom together at hustings around the country. They will be able to compare the two and make an informed choice.

The kippers are very keen on Leadsom - the Banks machine is working hard - should be more than enough to warn off the Conservative members. If they don't the country is truly f***** - because the person i/c of the country will be one backed by Cash/IDS/Redwood, etc, etc. These people are the ones who really will never stop fighting the EU referendum and quite happy to bring the whole country crashing down in the struggle.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Would those panicking about the timing of a replacement Prime Minister care to share what they think the new Prime Minister should be doing with such haste?
  • Options
    Pauly said:

We need to trick the so called progressives into introducing PR and mandatory voting...

PR would be good - the Greens, Lib Dems and UKIP all deserve more representation in parliament. But it's not me you need to convince and I doubt it is on May's agenda.
  • Options
    felix said:

felix said:

ToryJim said:

ToryJim said:

MikeL said:

An awful lot of voters will be on holiday in Europe in July and August - 20/30% lighter in £/€s compared to last summer.
    Oh dear - you think that's the view they'll take.
    It's certainly the view that they should take. Anybody who has travelled to the eurozone even once a year for the last five years has seen big swings in exchange rates and this isn't out of the ordinary.
This discussion has been closed.