Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » It would be a mistake for May to become leader & PM without

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,788
    edited July 2016
    @tamcohen: 60% of Tory voters back May - and nearly half of members, according to ICM poll for @TheSun. Majority of them, of course, voted for Brexit
  • Options
    BenedictWhiteBenedictWhite Posts: 1,944

RobD said:

Barnesian said:

RobD said:

Is there such a thing as an automatic place? I thought it simply the figure at which coming third was virtually impossible?
    There are 330 Tory MPs. You can't come third with 110 or more because the top two can't each have more than 110.
    Yeah, so it's more like a guaranteed place, rather than an automatic one.
    You can get 200 on the first ballot and still not make the final cut. No one has to say which way they voted and they can change their minds between rounds.
    The first round is just to get rid of Fox.

After that, it gets serious.
    Won't Crabb go first?
    No. Fox will be gutted if he isn't first.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133

MrsB said:

Scott_P said:

Mortimer said:

That standing only escalator rule would annoy me rotten. Stupid to say it would be quicker for all if everyone stood still; it would be even quicker if everyone walked.

Except that is not necessarily true, is it? I though the whole point of the experiment was to prove standing increases capacity.

If everyone stands, every step can accommodate 2 people. If everyone is walking, each person takes up at least 2 steps, so you may have quarter of the capacity, even if each person moves faster
    Oh Scott, how could you! I thought that if we had learned one thing in the last few weeks, it is that factual evidence has no value at all, and you should hang your head in shame at trying to convince someone to change their mind with reasoned arguments.
    Standing may increase capacity, but it slows down people wot want to reach their exit or interchange quickly.
    Only if every up escalator is standing only.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,653
    edited July 2016

@tamcohen: 60% of Tory voters back May - and nearly half of members, according to ICM poll for @TheSun. Majority of them, of course, voted for Brexit

ICM did well at GE2015 and EUref, didn't they?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,171
    DanSmith said:

RodCrosby said:

'A senior Labour source, close to the embattled leader, said they had blocked Watson from talking privately to Corbyn because they have a “duty of care. They [Watson’s aides] want Watson to be on his own with Corbyn so that he can jab his finger at him,” the source said.

“We are not letting that happen. He’s a 70-year-old [sic] man. We have a duty of care … This is not a one-off. There is a culture of bullying. Maybe it’s a Blairite/Brownite thing.”'

[Also]

On Saturday night, Corbyn allies accused the parliamentary party of sabotaging Labour’s ability to hold the government to account.

One Labour source said those at the top of the party were livid when it emerged that files on a shared Labour party hard drive relating to the finance bill going through parliament had been deleted as the shadow finance secretary Rob Marris resigned.

An internal email seen by this newspaper said: “Unfortunately, it looks like someone from Rob Marris’s office has deleted the vast majority of the finance bill records and notes on each clause from the shared drive.”

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jul/02/corbyn-keeps-watson-arms-length?CMP=twt_a-politics_b-gdnukpolitics

Do Labour not keep backups of the shared drive? Schoolboy error if they don't.
    IT in these organisations never fails to amaze me. This is the sort of thing that gets an IT Director in the private sector a P45, yet no-one ever hears of anyone being sacked for such incompetence in public organisations.
  • Options

They did very well in the EURef, the only phone pollster to have Leave winning.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    Sandpit said:

DanSmith said:

RodCrosby said:

'A senior Labour source, close to the embattled leader, said they had blocked Watson from talking privately to Corbyn because they have a “duty of care. They [Watson’s aides] want Watson to be on his own with Corbyn so that he can jab his finger at him,” the source said.

“We are not letting that happen. He’s a 70-year-old [sic] man. We have a duty of care … This is not a one-off. There is a culture of bullying. Maybe it’s a Blairite/Brownite thing.”'

[Also]

On Saturday night, Corbyn allies accused the parliamentary party of sabotaging Labour’s ability to hold the government to account.

One Labour source said those at the top of the party were livid when it emerged that files on a shared Labour party hard drive relating to the finance bill going through parliament had been deleted as the shadow finance secretary Rob Marris resigned.

An internal email seen by this newspaper said: “Unfortunately, it looks like someone from Rob Marris’s office has deleted the vast majority of the finance bill records and notes on each clause from the shared drive.”

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jul/02/corbyn-keeps-watson-arms-length?CMP=twt_a-politics_b-gdnukpolitics

IT in these organisations never fails to amaze me. This is the sort of thing that gets an IT Director in the private sector a P45, yet no-one ever hears of anyone being sacked for such incompetence in public organisations.
    Let me guess. Dropbox or Google Drive?
  • Options

They did very well in the EURef, the only phone pollster to have Leave winning.
    Ta.

Theresa "may" become PM in that case :)
  • Options

Yes. Before the campaign starts in earnest.

What was the position before the last leadership election? I'm sticking with my position on Leadsom, (For now) though I am not saying she is good value at her current price.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,036
    RodCrosby said:

Sandpit said:

DanSmith said:

RodCrosby said:

[Also]

I think those allow you to restore deleted files.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193
    Germans singing "put your hands in the air like you just don't care..."
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    Imagine being at a party full of the people on Gove's list.

I'd leave to go for a KFC with the Moggster
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,959
    edited July 2016

"Nearly" half of members back Theresa? Would you not expect her position to be a bit stronger than that at this early stage?
  • Options

MrsB said:

Scott_P said:

Mortimer said:

That standing only escalator rule would annoy me rotten. Stupid to say it would be quicker for all if everyone stood still; it would be even quicker if everyone walked.

Except that is not necessarily true, is it? I though the whole point of the experiment was to prove standing increases capacity.

If everyone stands, every step can accommodate 2 people. If everyone is walking, each person takes up at least 2 steps, so you may have quarter of the capacity, even if each person moves faster
    Oh Scott, how could you! I thought that if we had learned one thing in the last few weeks, it is that factual evidence has no value at all, and you should hang your head in shame at trying to convince someone to change their mind with reasoned arguments.
    Standing may increase capacity, but it slows down people wot want to reach their exit or interchange quickly.
    The present system is a compromise between those wanting to stand and those wanting to walk.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RodCrosby said:

Sandpit said:

DanSmith said:

RodCrosby said:

[Also]

I think those allow you to restore deleted files.
    They might. They will also allow you to really delete deleted files.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,324
    nunu said:

The chances if Trump picking a black VP but with same outlook as him must be pretty high.

I don't think Robert Mugabe's eligible, is he?
  • Options
    Italy score a penalty - 1-1 now.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,960
    Pleased to have got on Itay at 49-1 on 73 minutes....
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    rcs1000 said:

nunu said:

The chances if Trump picking a black VP but with same outlook as him must be pretty high.

I don't think Robert Mugabe's eligible, is he?
    Lol. He knows how to "win" elections you know.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133

MrsB said:

Scott_P said:

Mortimer said:

The present system is a compromise between those wanting to stand and those wanting to walk.
    And works in most places. But Holborn isn't one of them, and switching from two stand two walk to three stand one walk is eminently sensible.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    Freggles said:

How can Jacob support Gove? My God has feet of clay.
  • Options
    John_M said:

Freggles said:

How can Jacob support Gove? My God has feet of clay.
    It's purely intellectual! He doesn't mean it!
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

Sandpit said:

DanSmith said:

RodCrosby said:

[Also]

Which, if configured correctly, support version control and backups - although to me backups should still really be on tape and kept offsite or in the safe. Too many people use consumer - level IT in business to save money. It doesn't, but you don't know that until the day something like this happens, where someone malicious with too much access can screw the organisation.
  • Options

MrsB said:

Scott_P said:

Mortimer said:

And works in most places. But Holborn isn't one of them, and switching from two stand two walk to three stand one walk is eminently sensible.
    I used to walk down the escalator at Holborn to get to the Piccadilly line in the mornings to speed up my journey to Imperial back in the late 90s/early 2000s, but in the evenings I nearly always decided to change at Mile End to get to the eastbound Central line. At Mile End you just cross the platform :lol:
  • Options
    BlueberryBlueberry Posts: 408
    saddened said:

Blueberry said:

It has to be Gove. He can talk properly. Moreover, he has vision and personifies the kind of society we should be. Theresa May, on the other hand, is just the kind of grey-suit, yes-man, we don't need. It would be tragic if someone so anonymous, so poor at communicating, was given the tiller simply because likes sitting in the middle of the boat.

Regardless of his skills, in the 24 hour rolling news era, he is too reminiscent of Harry Enfield's Tory boy, he will be eviscerated by the press. Every TV appearance will see a loss in support.
    May has been Home Secretary for a long time, and yet I (someone who's interested in politics) can't think of anything she's ever said. Nothing. Not a memorable sentence. She's hidden behind Cameron and the European courts on immigration/deportations. She's let him/them take the flack for 'tens of thousands' and the failed border policy. Bizarrely, the only other thing I know about her is that she likes 'kitten heals". Do me a favour. She's fucking useless.

Tories need to be brave. Now is the time to elect a "benign dictator" kind of person - someone who knows which way to go and can see further than others. Not some 'management consultant'. Four years is enough for Gove to show he's getting us into promising waters.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Today had a chat with some fellow Tory activists, mostly of a Leaver persuasion.

Gove - No fecking chance, our Ed Miliband was one of the nicer descriptions and no desire to put Mrs Vine-Macbeth in No 10,

Crabb - Putting down a marker for a major cabinet job

Fox - Putting down a marker for a cabinet return

Leadsom - Like her but no time for a novice, but still time enough for her when Mrs May stands down

May - Heavyweight, experienced politician is needed in these times, only one that looks like a PM.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

RodCrosby said:

Sandpit said:

DanSmith said:

RodCrosby said:

[Also]

Which, if configured correctly, support version control and backups - although to me backups should still really be on tape and kept offsite or in the safe. Too many people use consumer - level IT in business to save money. It doesn't, but you don't know that until the day something like this happens, where someone malicious with too much access can screw the organisation.
    Y'all can't connect classified networks to commercial services of that nature. That said, there are equivalent services available via the GCN (or whatever they call it now, I'm three years out of date).
  • Options
    Blueberry said:

saddened said:

Blueberry said:

It has to be Gove. He can talk properly. Moreover, he has vision and personifies the kind of society we should be. Theresa May, on the other hand, is just the kind of grey-suit, yes-man, we don't need. It would be tragic if someone so anonymous, so poor at communicating, was given the tiller simply because likes sitting in the middle of the boat.

Regardless of his skills, in the 24 hour rolling news era, he is too reminiscent of Harry Enfield's Tory boy, he will be eviscerated by the press. Every TV appearance will see a loss in support.
    May has been Home Secretary for a long time, and yet I (someone who's interested in politics) can't think of anything she's ever said. Nothing. Not a memorable sentence. She's hidden behind Cameron and the European courts on immigration/deportations. She's let him/them take the flack for 'tens of thousands' and the failed border policy. Bizarrely, the only other thing I know about her is that she likes 'kitten heals". Do me a favour. She's fucking useless.

Tories need to be brave. Now is the time to elect a "benign dictator" kind of person - someone who knows which way to go and can see further than others. Not some 'management consultant'. Four years is enough for Gove to show he's getting us into promising waters.
    Nasty party

Cant deport someone because they have a cat

Knacking the police
    Not ringing a bell?
  • Options
    Blueberry said:

Tories need to be brave. Now is the time to elect a "benign dictator" kind of person - someone who knows which way to go and can see further than others.

TSE? :lol:
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    edited July 2016
    Sandpit said:

RodCrosby said:

Sandpit said:

DanSmith said:

RodCrosby said:

[Also]

If the allegations against the MP are true, that is surely time for him to walk the plank...
    https://twitter.com/LiamTheBrewer/status/749343247886057472
  • Options
    Italy!
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

MrsB said:

Scott_P said:

Mortimer said:

I used to walk down the escalator at Holborn to get to the Piccadilly line in the mornings to speed up my journey to Imperial back in the late 90s/early 2000s, but in the evenings I nearly always decided to change at Mile End to get to the eastbound Central line. At Mile End you just cross the platform :lol:

Avoid Baker street.

You can get into trouble.

• Options

Today had a chat with some fellow Tory activists, mostly of a Leaver persuasion.

Gove - No fecking chance, our Ed Miliband was one of the nicer descriptions and no desire to put Mrs Vine-Macbeth in No 10,

Leadsom - Like her but no time for a novice, but still time enough for her when Mrs May stands down

May - Heavyweight, experienced politician is needed in these times, only one that looks like a PM.

Hope they are a bit more reliable than the voters you were talking to at the Referendum!
  • Options
    Gove = Godzilla. Boris = Tokyo.
  • Options
    Is it just me, or do all telegraph links return 404 errors? :s
  • Options

twitter.com/TSEofPB/status/749343956442419200

40 point lead :D
  • Options
    RobD said:

Just you
  • Options

RobD said:

Just you
    Restarting my browser fixed it!
  • Options
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-36624413

When we talk about graduate's vs. Non graduates we are forgetting the skilled working classes who do apprenticeships. I wonder if when polls ask people did u do uni level study a lot of people automatically said no when in fact they have done higher apprenticeships they are then downweighted in terms of likelyhood to vote wrongly.

I know they set out all the options but people don't have time to think about their answers for opinion polls.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    RobD said:

twitter.com/TSEofPB/status/749343956442419200

40 point lead :D
    Isn't that what Remain started out at?

:trollface:
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    SeanT said:

Blueberry said:

saddened said:

Blueberry said:

Gove is so unelectable we risk a Corbyn Labour government. No. Just no.

Leadsom maybe, just maybe. But she is on record as saying there will be no Brexit recession. Hmm.

I take your point on May, but she's the best of a bad lot. Competence and dullness will be required, now. She can delegate as necessary.
    I take your point on May, but she's the best of a bad lot.

Sad, but true.
  • Options
    John_M said:

Boris = Death Star. Dave = Alderaan.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    John_M said:

Sandpit said:

RodCrosby said:

Sandpit said:

DanSmith said:

RodCrosby said:

[Also]

Y'all can't connect classified networks to commercial services of that nature. That said, there are equivalent services available via the GCN (or whatever they call it now, I'm three years out of date).
    This was the Labour Party, rather than gov classified stuff. Modern "Cloud" services can have their advantages, but too many people think that they don't need managing because they're not physical devices on the organisation's network. They need just as much management as physical file servers in reality, including things like backups, versioning, user accounts, logging etc. Anyway, this isn't ITmanagementbetting.com ;)
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,147
    SeanT said:

Blueberry said:

saddened said:

Blueberry said:

Leadsom maybe, just maybe. But she is on record as saying there will be no Brexit recession. Hmm.

I take your point on May, but she's the best of a bad lot. Competence and dullness will be required, now. She can delegate as necessary.
    Supposedly she has a reputation for micro management. That won't work in No 10....

Rather like your guardian page of clueless journalists....
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    What's going on in Australia? Totals seemed to have changed again to 67 each:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/federal-election-2016/
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642

Hope they are a bit more reliable than the voters you were talking to at the Referendum!
    Or Andrew Cooper's polling...
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

MrsB said:

Scott_P said:

Mortimer said:

Avoid Baker street.

You can get into trouble.

Its ok if you change from the Metropolitan to Bakerloo, just not vice versa.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Pleased to have got on Itay at 49-1 on 73 minutes....

Hope you got out before time ran out...
  • Options
    John_M said:

The morning thread has the following analogy

Boris = Cheerleader

Gove = American football team

Tory leadership contest = niche movie available on hotel pay per view channels
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    RodCrosby said:

Sandpit said:

RodCrosby said:

Sandpit said:

DanSmith said:

RodCrosby said:

[Also]

If the allegations against the MP are true, that is surely time for him to walk the plank...
    ttps://twitter.com/LiamTheBrewer/status/749343247886057472
    If their log files are as good as their backups, they probably don't have a clue who *actually* deleted everything. :open_mouth:
  • Options
    John_N4John_N4 Posts: 553
    edited July 2016
    rcs1000 said:

Not content with pissing off Hispanics, Muslims and women, Trump is seeking to lose the Jewish vote:

(snip)

Just an accident. If Netanyahu excoriates him, I'll reconsider. Trump has had a lot of favourable coverage in Israel’s most widely read newspaper, Israel HaYom, owned by his fellow billionaire - and fellow casino owner - Sheldon Adelson. A lot of what Trump says against Muslims could have been scripted by Melanie Phillips, who has written that "Donald Trump's attackers are the real fascists".

This Politico article is worth a look. The line "After a Barack, you always need a strong man” is very clever!

Trump's daughter Ivanka converted to Judaism.

The organisation to watch on the whole issue is the Anti-Defamation League. So far, they have criticised some of Trump's sayings, but it looks like a complicated game, or tweaking, or something. If they wanted to give him a bloody nose, they would. At the moment they're saying he's being too nasty to Muslims. Funny how they don't say the same about Melanie Phillips, who supports Trump's call for the authorities to consider all Muslims to be a threat and to hassle them accordingly, a policy marketed as "profiling". Meanwhile the American Jewish Committee opposed Trump's proposal to create a registry of all Muslims in the US. What is remarkable is that Trump hasn't hit back explicitly.
  • Options
    nunu said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-36624413

When we talk about graduate's vs. Non graduates we are forgetting the skilled working classes who do apprenticeships. I wonder if when polls ask people did u do uni level study a lot of people automatically said no when in fact they have done higher apprenticeships they are then downweighted in terms of likelyhood to vote wrongly.

I know they set out all the options but people don't have time to think about their answers for opinion polls.

I did a minor essay on this earlier. It's easy to forget that university used to be an uncommon option in this country. Attendance was 3% in 1950, 7% in 1970, and it was still less than 20% in the '90s.

Older people are therefore less likely to have degrees simply because fewer people needed degrees to get on. Unless one argues that later generations have magically become cleverer, all we can say is young people are better qualified, but not necessarily more intelligent.
  • Options
    SeanT said:
    When the facts change...
  • Options
    Yeah but the shoppers have never been more sovereign

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/749346225158324224
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,684
    Good to see the Mail stick to boot into Gove and clearing the way for May by digging up dirt on Leadsom, all's fair in love and war etc...
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

John_M said:

Boris = Cheerleader

Boris couldn't find a pyramid of people to get him to the top, while Gove prances on the field?
  • Options
    SeanT said:
    We haven't actually heard what she actually said.

She was working on drafts for EU reform since 2010. Perhaps when she said that she thought they had a chance then, like me, changed her mind when Cameron got back with his piece of paper?
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Blueberry said:

saddened said:

Blueberry said:

Sad, but true.
    What encourages me about May (in a dull way) is the clever way she played the politics of REMAIN. She managed to stay on Cameron's side during the campaign, while giving enough signals to LEAVE (her EUCHR stuff) that she is still acceptable to OUT.

This was adroit, and cunning. And we know this, because other Tory ministers with leadership hopes totally failed to do the same. She has out-maneuvered them all.

So she's politically smart and clearly quite ruthless. That's what we need now, when dealing with the EU.
    Except, her coy positioning won't fool the EU. She's not going to go full on Leave. They know that just as they knew Cameron would not recommend Leave. She is going to have to subcontract the negotiations to a pack including some red in tooth and claw Leavers. And say she will accept what they negotiate.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,223

Great news. We need to stop spending money we don't have on tat.
  • Options
    LowlanderLowlander Posts: 941
    AndyJS said:

It means the Coalition are getting hammered on second preferences and Labor could end up forming the next government.
  • Options
    eek said:

SeanT said:

Blueberry said:

saddened said:

Blueberry said:

Supposedly she has a reputation for micro management. That won't work in No 10....

Rather like your guardian page of clueless journalists....
    For me, May's disadvantages are that she's not very clubbable, doesn't really do networking and she's merely avoided disaster at the Home Office. However, I think she'll keep things calm and controlled and looks the part. Would rather have had Cameron of course :s
  • Options

John_M said:

Boris = Cheerleader

Boris Does Dallas?
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Lowlander said:

AndyJS said:

It means the Coalition are getting hammered on second preferences and Labor could end up forming the next government.
    So the predictions earlier of at least 74 Coalition seats were a bit off...
  • Options
    So the Mail are doing to Leadsom and Gove what the DT tried to do to May?

So much for a clean and positive campaign, that had so much promise after some great speeches in the week. Do the members (and the general public) really want to see this briefing and counter briefing, hatchet jobs on opponents by friendly hacks, or would they rather laugh at Labour for that kind of behaviour?
  • Options

John_M said:

Boris = Cheerleader

Boris Does Dallas?
    Nah, the headline is 'Gove Changes Everything'
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

While that's true, the last time our savings rate moved up sharply was 1989-1992, which was pretty horrible for a lot of people.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Especially European tat. Even after the football has finished and the weather picks up.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

So much for a clean and positive campaign, that had so much promise after some great speeches in the week. Do the members (and the general public) really want to see this briefing and counter briefing, hatchet jobs on opponents by friendly hacks, or would they rather laugh at Labour for that kind of behaviour?

I'd love to know why the Mail hate Leadsom so much. Hopefully she won't take any notice of it.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    MaxPB said:

Good to see the Mail stick to boot into Gove and clearing the way for May by digging up dirt on Leadsom, all's fair in love and war etc...

Geordie Greig (Editor Mail on Sunday) really does hate Dacre (Editor Daily Mail) doesn't he....
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,959

SeanT said:

She was working on drafts for EU reform since 2010. Perhaps when she said that she thought they had a chance then, like me, changed her mind when Cameron got back with his piece of paper?
    Indeed. I'm waiting to hear what she said and the context in which she said it... Might just be an MoS "hatchet job"...
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    tlg86 said:

Actually not great news. It's OK to admit that it's all been a bit of a shock.

I haven't really felt like splurging myself, particularly over the first few days. Mind you, I generally do almost all my shopping online. I'm a consumer ninja.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

SeanT said:

Why would removing the wool from one's eyes finish off one's leadership aspirations?

If we are to preclude anyone as leader of our nation who has actually learnt something within, say, the last 5 years that led them to change their minds, then we are virtually saying we want a leader who is a know-nothing bigot.

I want our leadership to be constantly learning from a changing environment, and adapting to new realities as they arise. Adaptation means taking new positions if the old ones are no longer appropriate.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Blueberry said:

saddened said:

Blueberry said:

Mais the time to elect a "benign dictator" kind of person - someone who knows which way to go and can see further than others. Not some 'management consultant'. Four years is enough for Gove to show he's getting us into promising waters.

Sad, but true.
    Whatlearly quite ruthless. That's what we need now, when dealing with the EU.
    Except, her coy positioning won't fool the EU. She's not going to go full on Leave. They know that just as they knew Cameron would not recommend Leave. She is going to have to subcontract the negotiations to a pack including some red in tooth and claw Leavers. And say she will accept what they negotiate.
    The country doesn't want full-on LEAVE. 48.2% voted REMAIN. It was not a landslide. Nowhere near. It was a very slender majority for OUT

A skilful politician (and let's hope May is that, as she looks likely to be PM) will take account of this and steer us to some kind of EEA arrangement, where REMAINERS get the consolation of the EU Single Market, plus all those pan-European science/education programmes which everyone likes. And at the same time LEAVERS know we have LEFT.

The breaking point is going to be Free Movement. Of course. Somehow May has to square that fiendish circle. Good luck to her.
    That's easy (provided you do it early)... We need to move to a contribution based Benefits scheme and now is the perfect time to do it. They just need to find a simple explanation ....
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    John_M said:

That said, there are equivalent services available via the GCN (or whatever they call it now, I'm three years out of date).

PSN is the new version
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Blueberry said:

saddened said:

Blueberry said:

Mais the time to elect a "benign dictator" kind of person - someone who knows which way to go and can see further than others. Not some 'management consultant'. Four years is enough for Gove to show he's getting us into promising waters.

Sad, but true.
    The country doesn't want full-on LEAVE. 48.2% voted REMAIN. It was not a landslide. Nowhere near. It was a very slender majority for OUT

A skilful politician (and let's hope May is that, as she looks likely to be PM) will take account of this and steer us to some kind of EEA arrangement, where REMAINERS get the consolation of the EU Single Market, plus all those pan-European science/education programmes which everyone likes. And at the same time LEAVERS know we have LEFT.

The breaking point is going to be Free Movement. Of course. Somehow May has to square that fiendish circle. Good luck to her.
    It is looking like the top job comes with a celebratory glass of hemlock fizz....
  • Options
    LowlanderLowlander Posts: 941
    AndyJS said:

Lowlander said:

AndyJS said:

So the predictions earlier of at least 74 Coalition seats were a bit off...
    They're based on a combination óf sample counts óf second preferences at booths, predictions of second preference switches based on prior elections and polling and stated preferences by candidates on who they want their supporters to switch to,

So there's three factors, any of which could be wrong. But watching the ABC broadcast earlier today it was clear that an expected Liberal win was slipping away from them.
  • Options
    marke09marke09 Posts: 926
    tlg86 said:

nothing to do with it being so flaming wet
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Sandpit said:

I'd love to know why the Mail hate Leadsom so much. Hopefully she won't take any notice of it.
    Mail on Sunday, very different form Daily Mail with different editor. MoS heavily backed Remain whereas DM heavily backed Leave. No, I don't understand why either!
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

John_M said:

That said, there are equivalent services available via the GCN (or whatever they call it now, I'm three years out of date).

PSN is the new version
    In my day that was going to be the IL3 network that ran on top of the GCN. Having spent tooooo much of my life dancing around the tarbaby of government networks, I'm grateful to be well out of it now :).
  • Options
    John_N4John_N4 Posts: 553
    edited July 2016
    nunu said:

Or perhaps Susana Martinez, governor of New Mexico, who is both a woman and Hispanic.

Sarah Palin is unlikely. She is known for losing in 2008 and her background is Alaska, which Trump has got in the bag (14% Rep maj), unlike New Mexico, which is almost ideally placed as a target (10% Dem maj). Martinez would be a better pick than Rick Scott from Florida (1% Dem). Mary Fallin from Oklahoma is unlikely. Newt Gingrich at 73 is too old.

I suspect the Trump campaign aim regarding black voters is for them to stay at home, maybe firing up white rednecks all the more as Clinton tries to achieve the opposite.

As H L Mencken put it, "Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public."
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Another mistake by the chattering classes: they said Malcolm Turnbull would be more popular with Australian voters than Tony Abbott. Turns out not to be the case.
  • Options
    BlueberryBlueberry Posts: 408
    SeanT said:

Blueberry said:

saddened said:

Blueberry said:

Gove can defeat the public sector/Blob/BBC - he's clever and articulate enough to do it - and to show the blue collars and the working class that he's doing it.

The middle class kids will scream and shout, but if Gove can nail immigration too - just fking do something about it, actually make the numbers come down, and take the shit for it - there are 10m+ in that.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,223
    marke09 said:

tlg86 said:

nothing to do with it being so flaming wet
    The ONS will almost certainly cite the rubbish weather in the Q2 GDP stats release.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Another mistake by the chattering classes: they said Malcolm Fraser would be more popular with Australian voters than Tony Abbott. Turns out not to be the case.

Turnbull, surely.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

AndyJS said:

Another mistake by the chattering classes: they said Malcolm Fraser would be more popular with Australian voters than Tony Abbott. Turns out not to be the case.

Turnbull, surely.
    Yep.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

plus all those pan-European science/education programmes which everyone likes.

We don't need to be a member of the EU to take part in ERASMUS education exchanges
    We don't need to be a member of the EU to take part in the ESA (so Major Tim can still return to space!)
    We don't need to be a member of the EU to take part in CERN (so more hadrons can be collided!)
    We don't need to be a member of the EU to take part in Eurovision (even though we come last or second last in recent years!)
    We don't need to be a member of the EU to take part in European football (until we lose in the knock-out stages, natch!).
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    SeanT said:

John_M said:

tlg86 said:

Actually not great news. It's OK to admit that it's all been a bit of a shock. I haven't really felt like splurging myself, particularly over the first few days. Mind you, I generally do almost all my shopping online.
    I have felt the same reluctance to spend. It's natural. Anxiety and risk makes everyone cautious. This is why it is essential we move to some smoother path, with calm and nice reassurances, very very very soon. Single Market guaranteed, at least.

We do not have the time to fuck about. We really don't.

LEAVERS should want this as much as REMIANIACS. If the economy totally falls off a cliff before we push the button on A50, then we probably won't ever LEAVE.
    I just want to have some balance. If Leavers go full Panglossian every time there's a bit of bad news, before you know it it's Comical Ali all over again.

The country has decided to end a 43 year old marriage that, even though loveless for the most part, is all we've ever known.

Are we going to end up living with <<that sexy person we like>> in a Californian penthouse gargling Champagne for breakfast, or are we doomed to a bedsit in Aberystwyth eating catfood three times a week?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Blueberry said:

saddened said:

Blueberry said:

Sad, but true.

Yes good lucck to the person who presided over record net migration whilst failing to bring down NON E.U migration.
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    Blueberry said:

saddened said:

Blueberry said:

Time to calm down : "kitten heals ?

• Options
  • Options
    MTimT said:

SeanT said:

Why would removing the wool from one's eyes finish off one's leadership aspirations?

If we are to preclude anyone as leader of our nation who has actually learnt something within, say, the last 5 years that led them to change their minds, then we are virtually saying we want a leader who is a know-nothing bigot.

I want our leadership to be constantly learning from a changing environment, and adapting to new realities as they arise. Adaptation means taking new positions if the old ones are no longer appropriate.
    One can understand why so many exceptionally talented people no longer think of politics as a worthwhile vocation, given the media environment where everything one has ever said or done is turned upside down and taken out of context on the front pages.

It can only get worse as the next generation have been documenting their every thought and action online in public since they were teenagers. Raucous university dinner parties won't be written about in books in 20 years' time, there will be videos online of our future leaders, for us all to watch.
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    Blueberry said:

SeanT said:

Blueberry said:

saddened said:

Leadsom maybe, just maybe. But she is on record as saying there will be no Brexit recession. Hmm. I take your point on May, but she's the best of a bad lot. Competence and dullness will be required, now. She can delegate as necessary.
    Gove can defeat the public sector/Blob/BBC - he's clever and articulate enough to do it - and to show the blue collars and the working class that he's doing it. The middle class kids will scream and shout, but if Gove can nail immigration too - just fking do something about it, actually make the numbers come down, and take the shit for it - there are 10m+ in that.
    Gove never does anything really - except annoy people. What has he achieved? Nothing.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    1.07 for Democratic nominee, looks big if you buy this:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/749350193095667713
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    nunu said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Blueberry said:

saddened said:

Blueberry said:

Sad, but true.

Yes good lucck to the person who presided over record net migration whilst failing to bring down NON E.U migration.
    Yes good luck to her. Non EU migrants are by definition points based so of a good calibre presumably.
This discussion has been closed.