Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Just months before the US looks set to elect a female Presi

123457»

Comments

• Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

Patrick said:

I'm happy with either May or Gove and a Brexitty cabinet.

On a personal note I think Gove would do well to lose the specs and get contacts and stand up a bit straighter.

Yes, the glasses make him look intelligent, like one of those awful experts.
    Has Gove shafted him as well ?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @RupertMyers: May: not a month. Crabb: not a crustacean. Fox: not chased by hounds. Eagle: flightless. Johnson: yeah ok you can have that one.
  • Options
    DanSmithDanSmith Posts: 1,215

"Did Andrew Cooper's polls lose the referendum?"
    "What purpose did the polling day announcement of a ten-point lead serve except to persuade Remain voters to stay at home?"
    "Lord Cooper has form: last year, his bullishly named ‘Populus predictor’ gave a wonderfully precise figure for the Tories’ chance of winning a majority: 0.5 per cent. On polling day, he denounced Cameron’s triumphant general election campaign as a ‘prolonged exhibition of insanity’. All of which raises a question: why put him in charge of an EU referendum campaign whose failure could (and did) destroy the Prime Minister?"

http://www.spectator.co.uk/2016/07/how-the-pms-pollster-pal-called-it-wrong-again/

Why do political campaigns rely on one private pollster? Surely better to use all information publicly available.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,853
    FF43 said:

Pro_Rata said:

surbiton said:

Theresa May says: Brexit means Brexit

Theresa May, outlining her Conservative and prime ministerial leadership challenge says: "Brexit means Brexit. The campaign was fought, the vote was held, turnout was high and the public has given its verdict."

The home secretary says there should be no attempts to renege on that verdict and there should be no general election until 2020 and no emergency budget.

There should be no decision to invoke article 50 before the end of this year when Britain's negotiating terms are clear, she says.

There should be no change in Britain's trading arrangements with the EU or the legal status of overseas people living in the UK changed.

Is she saying that there will be informal discussions before ? The EU has flatly said there won't be.
    No, I suspect she’s saying that her in charge the Govt will sort out what it thinks is a reasonable negotiating position, with pre-planned fall-backs in it’s back pocket, and only then write the Article 50 letter.
    Negotiating with the EU has been ruled out by the EU. I don't know whether negotiating with EFTA has been ruled out by EFTA, which is something completely different.
    There's no problem negotiating with EFTA, but EFTA is Norway, Switzerland, Liechtenstein and Iceland repesenting 10 million people in total, while the EU is Germany, France and 25 other countries representing 450 million people. Those are the important guys.
    Those 10 million give you access to the other 450 million. It's like walking out of your office having resigned as an employee, then rocking up a month or two later with a broad smile on your face going "I'm the new contractor".
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631
    Pro_Rata said:

FF43 said:

Pro_Rata said:

surbiton said:

Theresa May, outlining her Conservative and prime ministerial leadership challenge says: "Brexit means Brexit. The campaign was fought, the vote was held, turnout was high and the public has given its verdict."

The home secretary says there should be no attempts to renege on that verdict and there should be no general election until 2020 and no emergency budget.

There should be no decision to invoke article 50 before the end of this year when Britain's negotiating terms are clear, she says.

There should be no change in Britain's trading arrangements with the EU or the legal status of overseas people living in the UK changed.

Is she saying that there will be informal discussions before ? The EU has flatly said there won't be.
    No, I suspect she’s saying that her in charge the Govt will sort out what it thinks is a reasonable negotiating position, with pre-planned fall-backs in it’s back pocket, and only then write the Article 50 letter.
    Negotiating with the EU has been ruled out by the EU. I don't know whether negotiating with EFTA has been ruled out by EFTA, which is something completely different.
    There's no problem negotiating with EFTA, but EFTA is Norway, Switzerland, Liechtenstein and Iceland repesenting 10 million people in total, while the EU is Germany, France and 25 other countries representing 450 million people. Those are the important guys.
    Those 10 million give you access to the other 450 million. It's like walking out of your office having resigned as an employee, then rocking up a month or two later with a broad smile on your face going "I'm the new contractor".
    Yes, completely free of the internal politics and at a better pay rate (lower membership fees).
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,780
    Scott_P said:

@RupertMyers: May: not a month. Crabb: not a crustacean. Fox: not chased by hounds. Eagle: flightless. Johnson: yeah ok you can have that one.

Not a lexicographer - a harmless drudge.
  • Options

Good solid speech. No change to trading arrangements means free movement continues. OK with me, but may not be universally popular.
    No emergency budget? Surely if the goverment's projections til 2020 which were based on remaining will need to be revised to account for projected drop in growth figures
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Statements by Tory politicians on whether an early GE is likely should be viewed through the prism of whether it looks as though Jeremy Corbyn is about to be defenestrated.

I imagine if Corbyn hangs on May would go for a snap election in October/November.
    After explicitly saying none before 2020 ! But then again, she is a Tory !
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    The EFTA states will make helpful noises but they can't do any substantial negotiation with us until they know what our deal with the EU is going to look like.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,796
    rcs1000 said:

I see the French finance minister has said that freedom of movement should be on the table at the negotiations. Perhaps those on here who are so certain of what can and cannot be achieved may not be correct.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/30/freedom-of-movement-reform-on-the-table-for-brexit-talks-suggest/

I saw Macron a few weeks ago (and reported it directly to this board): he said EEA, no passporting. So presumably, he's now saying "EEA, no passporting, no FoM".
    I think there are two different ministers, Finance Minister Michel Sapin and Economics Minister Emmanuel Macron, who have slightly different agendas. I think you are basically right except of course, EEA excluding services and freedom of movement is a different beast. It's not the EEA any more. The framework will need to be negotiated. One of the advantages of the EEA is that is off the shelf
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Fenster said:

PlatoSaid said:

John_M said:

DavidL said:

Sparrow, snap analysis: - Last week Michael Gove’s Vote Leave campaign ended the career of David Cameron - a man that Gove has counted as a close friend for more than a decade.

Today the Gove career-destroying machine has turned on Boris Johnson, who until about half an hour ago was the favourite to win the Conservative leadership. Gove, who is respected by colleagues, Tory members and the media, has just published a damning character reference about the man with whom he jointly ran the victorious Vote Leave campaign. Here it is again:

" I respect and admire all the candidates running for the leadership. In particular, I wanted to help build a team behindBoris Johnson so that a politician who argued for leaving the European Union could lead us to a better future.

But I have come, reluctantly, to the conclusion that Boris cannot provide the leadership or build the team for the task ahead."

Bojo is shafted.

That is brutal. Did Boris not guarantee him the Treasury? Foolish if he didn't.
    I think it's more that Gove believes that Boris will water down the pure wine of a Brexit in favour of some fudge or other. Destroying Boris is just a desirable second order effect.
    I'm definitely behind Gove, May isn't what I want in policy terms.
    What's good with Gove standing is he'll be great during the campaign, and will force promises out of May (and the others) on Article 50 etc.

Good move too from May on ditching the budget surplus. Extraordinary times call for extraordinary measures and boxing herself in on the finances would've been silly.
    Apparently Gove will get Osborne's backing. Hmm
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

Good solid speech. No change to trading arrangements means free movement continues. OK with me, but may not be universally popular.
    No emergency budget? Surely if the goverment's projections til 2020 which were based on remaining will need to be revised to account for projected drop in growth figures
    Did she say who her CoTE would be ?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,602

NEW THREAD NEW THREAD

• Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    OK, latest BoP bulletin, Q1 Current account deficit down to a mere 6.9% of GDP (gulp) from 7.2% in Q4 2015.

Still terrible, but at least not higher.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Does it matter?
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    edited June 2016

Statements by Tory politicians on whether an early GE is likely should be viewed through the prism of whether it looks as though Jeremy Corbyn is about to be defenestrated.

Very dangerous way to approach this. IMO May will need a personal mandate to get through what will be a brutal parliament.

Clearly a delay is very good for Labour, who need time to sort their shit out.

• Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,780

stjohn said:

i'm not making many shrewd political betting calls recently but Boris price now looks value to me and May shouldn't be odds on. It will be May versus ANOTHER and she still has to beat the ANOTHER in the membership ballot.

I've backed Boris! 6.4-6.6.

That's pretty much the price at which I baled out of my remaining BoJo. He could well be 1000 in an hour
    TP. Do you think Boris is going to pull out?
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506

When the ball comes loose out of the back of the scrum...the Tories form a ruck, Labour just stand around and look at it.

No. The scrum half picks it up and feeds the fly half.

Unlike Crabb who puts his hand in the scrum, grabs the ball and gives away a penalty.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

TGOHF said:

Does it matter?
    From a betting perspective - very much so.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

From my mate Faisal

My sense is core vote leavers wanted some absolute assurances from Boris on EU exit strategy - that's some of what's behind Leadsom, gove

So Bozza is the best candidate to keep us in the single market. I might vote for him now.

Boris is instinctively pro-Immigration. So why was he a Leaver ? Did you see his face when Leave won ?

Boris was a Leaver because he thought that was the better option to be in to become PM. Sadly, for him, Leave actually won.
  • Options
    Gadfly said:

Lots of suggestions that Boris may be about to pull his bid.

If Boris can still get into the last two with MPs then he cam go on and win with the members. But now hard to beat Gove to second place.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,796
    Pro_Rata said:

FF43 said:

Pro_Rata said:

surbiton said:

Not really. Access to the EU is by negotiation with the EU. There is a lot of misinformation about that, including on this forum.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403
    edited June 2016
    MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

Formal announcement of candidates standing for the Conservative leadership will be made at midday - Sky.

Boris speech at 11am to go ahead.

Sky now running clip of Gove in one of the recent debates saying he wouldn't run.

That's why Gove will lose, he now looks untrustworthy.
    And rightly so. "Developments since Thursday."

Two points:

1) what developments?

2) if two out of the three Vote Leave campaign leaders can't even work out a plan for themselves, heaven help their plan for the country.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    No GE before 2020.

When will they stop fibbing ?
  • Options
    JonCisBackJonCisBack Posts: 911
    GIN1138 said:

Jonathan said:

May was impressive. Ticked all the boxes. An interesting prospect.

The main weakness is that she wants no GE and will take the same route as Gordon Brown took in 2007.

The next four years will be tough, managing that as an "unelected PM", without a personal mandate will be tough.

I think it's hard to see how she get's Brexit done with a Con majority of 12.
    I think you'll find the majority was ~ 1.4 Million
  • Options
    Pro_Rata said:

Is Eagle a pretty much a sure thing (c. 90% likelihood) or am I completely misreading the situation?

Eagle is in the process of collecting her 51 signatures. Were I an MP, I'd consider being the 50th person backing her, but not necessarily the 52nd. Like I said yesterday, the 172 Labour MPs should basically be setting themselves up as a papal conclave.

I just have a feeling that the Labour election will end having 3 or 4 runners. Does that increaase the danger of Corbyn squeaking over the line - slightly, but it's a risk worth taking to get a candidate who you could actually see as PM.

172 no confidence Labour MPs is not enough to have 4 x 52 nominations for the leadership.

2 or 3 challengers max.
  • Options
    Gove said "I have come, reluctantly, to the conclusion that Boris cannot provide the leadership or build the team for the task ahead."

What he meant is ....
    Boris has not promised me Chancellor of the Exchequer job so I have shafted him like he shafted Cameron. That's politics.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

"Did Andrew Cooper's polls lose the referendum?"
    "What purpose did the polling day announcement of a ten-point lead serve except to persuade Remain voters to stay at home?"
    "Lord Cooper has form: last year, his bullishly named ‘Populus predictor’ gave a wonderfully precise figure for the Tories’ chance of winning a majority: 0.5 per cent. On polling day, he denounced Cameron’s triumphant general election campaign as a ‘prolonged exhibition of insanity’. All of which raises a question: why put him in charge of an EU referendum campaign whose failure could (and did) destroy the Prime Minister?"

http://www.spectator.co.uk/2016/07/how-the-pms-pollster-pal-called-it-wrong-again/

We keep speculating what won it for leave, the truth is Leave voters were just more motivated to go out and vote especially since this time there were no safe seats. Previous referendum has shown supporters of a single issue turnout more.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    edited June 2016
    @surbiton

'Is she saying that there will be informal discussions before ? The EU has flatly said there won't be.'

Surely you know by now what the EU says and does are usually completely different.

I would imagine their main focus is how they will fill their £ 11 billion budget black hole, unless France or Italy have already volunteered to fill it.
  • Options
    If Boris is to have any chance he will have to promise Australian points system on immigration and that securing control over our borders is higher priority than singe market at the negotiations.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388

Pro_Rata said:

Is Eagle a pretty much a sure thing (c. 90% likelihood) or am I completely misreading the situation?

Eagle is in the process of collecting her 51 signatures. Were I an MP, I'd consider being the 50th person backing her, but not necessarily the 52nd. Like I said yesterday, the 172 Labour MPs should basically be setting themselves up as a papal conclave.

I just have a feeling that the Labour election will end having 3 or 4 runners. Does that increaase the danger of Corbyn squeaking over the line - slightly, but it's a risk worth taking to get a candidate who you could actually see as PM.

172 no confidence Labour MPs is not enough to have 4 x 52 nominations for the leadership.

2 or 3 challengers max.
    If there are 3 runners I think the bar falls to 35 or 38 or something like with Corbyn's election.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,472
    Mortimer said:

Ouch, that joke about the water cannon was not pleasant.

Was that in the Q&A? I don't see it in the speech
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,070
    john_zims said:

@surbiton

'Is she saying that there will be informal discussions before ? The EU has flatly said there won't be.'

Surely you know by now what the EU says and does are usually completely different.

I would imagine their main focus is how they will fill their £ 11 billion budget black hole, unless France or Italy have already volunteered to fill it.

The real hole is smaller than that. The EU won't need to pay us a rebate or make CAP or CFP payments, or - indeed - Nigel Farage's salary or expenses. So, the theoretical hole is c. £9bn. But because we, like Switzerland, Norway, etc., will need to pay something for access to the single market (shall we say £3bn?), which brings you down to £6bn. Over 400m people, that's £1.20/month.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,350
    Pulpstar said:

No GE before 2020.

When will they stop fibbing ?

They can say what they like. A majority of a dozen minus the bodies and refuseniks equals a minority government. They won't be able to pass a bill that the Prime Minister blows his/her nose. Thats why there will be a general election. They couldn't get a "nothing to see here" queens speech bill through pre-referendum. What makes any of them think they can get contentious issues through post-referendum.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,369

Pro_Rata said:

2 or 3 challengers max.
    To be precise, there are 20 MEPs with a nomination right too. But lots of members are awaiting a challenge with something interesting to say beyond the ABC three-ferrets-in-sack approach which failed so spectacularly last year. It's not really a question of numbers but of having a coherent alternative.
  • Options
    GadflyGadfly Posts: 1,191
    edited June 2016
    Test
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,020
    edited June 2016
    rcs1000 said:

john_zims said:

@surbiton

The real hole is smaller than that. The EU won't need to pay us a rebate or make CAP or CFP payments, or - indeed - Nigel Farage's salary or expenses. So, the theoretical hole is c. £9bn. But because we, like Switzerland, Norway, etc., will need to pay something for access to the single market (shall we say £3bn?), which brings you down to £6bn. Over 400m people, that's £1.20/month.
    I think the bigger concern for the EU will be that they had already said there was a large black hole appearing on their accounts and they would need to increase income over the bdxt few years quite dramatically. That will now become more difficult.

In addition you are I think wrong to divide the extra cost amongst all 400 million or so citizens. In fact it will only be borne by those who are already net contributors as it is the net cost you are looking at.

To be honest though the loss of £6 billion a year will be small compared to the ever growing black hole predicted in the EU accounts if they don't seriously reform either income or spending.
  • Options
    IcarusIcarus Posts: 912

rcs1000 said:

john_zims said:

@surbiton

I think the bigger concern for the EU will be that they had already said there was a large black hole appearing on their accounts and they would need to increase income over the bdxt few years quite dramatically. That will now become more difficult.

In addition you are I think wrong to divide the extra cost amongst all 400 million or so citizens. In fact it will only be borne by those who are already net contributors as it is the net cost you are looking at.

To be honest though the loss of £6 billion a year will be small compared to the ever growing black hole predicted in the EU accounts if they don't seriously reform either income or spending.
    If we pay at the same £119/per head rate as Norway cost would be £7.5bn.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,472

rcs1000 said:

john_zims said:

@surbiton

The cost would be divided among all 400m citizens if it were deducted from the receipts of the gainers, as well as being added to the continuation of the funders. Whether this is politically deliverable or not is another matter.
This discussion has been closed.