Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Just months before the US looks set to elect a female Presi

Comments

• Options
    Is Eagle a pretty much a sure thing (c. 90% likelihood) or am I completely misreading the situation?
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    surbiton said:

Theresa May says: Brexit means Brexit

Theresa May, outlining her Conservative and prime ministerial leadership challenge says: "Brexit means Brexit. The campaign was fought, the vote was held, turnout was high and the public has given its verdict."

The home secretary says there should be no attempts to renege on that verdict and there should be no general election until 2020 and no emergency budget.

There should be no decision to invoke article 50 before the end of this year when Britain's negotiating terms are clear, she says.

There should be no change in Britain's trading arrangements with the EU or the legal status of overseas people living in the UK changed.

Is she saying that there will be informal discussions before ? The EU has flatly said there won't be.
    And you believed them? Bless.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,399

Sparrow, snap analysis: - Last week Michael Gove’s Vote Leave campaign ended the career of David Cameron - a man that Gove has counted as a close friend for more than a decade.

Today the Gove career-destroying machine has turned on Boris Johnson, who until about half an hour ago was the favourite to win the Conservative leadership. Gove, who is respected by colleagues, Tory members and the media, has just published a damning character reference about the man with whom he jointly ran the victorious Vote Leave campaign. Here it is again:

" I respect and admire all the candidates running for the leadership. In particular, I wanted to help build a team behindBoris Johnson so that a politician who argued for leaving the European Union could lead us to a better future.

But I have come, reluctantly, to the conclusion that Boris cannot provide the leadership or build the team for the task ahead."

Bojo is shafted.

That is brutal. Did Boris not guarantee him the Treasury? Foolish if he didn't.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Where does May stand on Heathrow ?
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    Wonderful stuff from Ms May re Johnson's negotiating skills with Europe."Last time he negotiated a deal with the Germans he came back with 3 second-hand water cannon" which he couldn't use and Londoners are still paying for.
    Ouch!
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,430

Must thank Armando Iannouchi - this new live daily version of The Thick Of It is the best ever

:lol:
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    I see the French finance minister has said that freedom of movement should be on the table at the negotiations. Perhaps those on here who are so certain of what can and cannot be achieved may not be correct.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/30/freedom-of-movement-reform-on-the-table-for-brexit-talks-suggest/
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Does this really kill off Boris ?

I'm not so sure.

Gove is very publicly voicing the doubts many Tories hold privately about Boris.

That's not good for Boris
    " take any odds available on Boris. Might even be a coronation"

"Take the 7-4 on Osborne" >.>
    Heh. In fairness I have tipped Gove [at 80/1] & May [at 10/1] too.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    I doubt any government has ever had a stronger mandate irrespective of the leader; the General Election, the EU referendum and Scottish referendum.

The direction from here to 2020 has been given by the electorate.

• Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    I think the sensible money has to be on May, now.

Serious. Punchy. Credible. Sprinkled with humour. A glint in the eye.

Very impressive.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,920
    edited June 2016
    Jonathan said:

May was impressive. Ticked all the boxes. An interesting prospect.

The main weakness is that she wants no GE and will take the same route as Gordon Brown took in 2007.

The next four years will be tough, managing that as an "unelected PM", without a personal mandate will be tough.

I think it's hard to see how she get's Brexit done with a Con majority of 12.

Might be saying no election for two reasons

1. To keep markets calm.

2. To keep Con MP's calm.

We'll see if that line holds to the autumn.
  • Options

Things seem to be moving at a dizzying pace, but Theresa May's speech leaps out of the chaos as the first, and so far only, serious plan by a grown-up.

Yep. Master class in action. Years of preparation by a professional.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited June 2016
    Floater said:

“First, Brexit means Brexit. The campaign was fought, the vote was held, turnout was high, and the public gave their verdict. There must be no attempts to remain inside the EU, no attempts to rejoin it through the backdoor, and no second referendum. The country voted to leave the European Union, and it is the duty of the government and Parliament to make sure we do just that.”

Bravo Mrs May.

:+1:
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    surbiton said:

Theresa May, outlining her Conservative and prime ministerial leadership challenge says: "Brexit means Brexit. The campaign was fought, the vote was held, turnout was high and the public has given its verdict."

The home secretary says there should be no attempts to renege on that verdict and there should be no general election until 2020 and no emergency budget.

There should be no decision to invoke article 50 before the end of this year when Britain's negotiating terms are clear, she says.

There should be no change in Britain's trading arrangements with the EU or the legal status of overseas people living in the UK changed.

Is she saying that there will be informal discussions before ? The EU has flatly said there won't be.
    No - she's saying that we need time to discuss amongst ourselves what we want in detail and advise the NZ negotiators of our position.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,068
    surbiton said:

No, I suspect she’s saying that her in charge the Govt will sort out what it thinks is a reasonable negotiating position, with pre-planned fall-backs in it’s back pocket, and only then write the Article 50 letter.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    edited June 2016
    Standing back for a moment. If the final two are May and Gove, it will be a MUCH closer race than with Johnson. Perhaps Theresa should loan some of MPs to the former undistinguished Mayor.
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    I'm bury resigning from the Shadow Cabinet I was appointed yesterday. But as I finished to draft my "Jeremy you are a man of great principle, but fuc* off now" letter (obviously with whole paragraph unaligned, random spaces between sentences and so on), I will launch my Tory leadership bid.
    JohnO said:

According to Guido, AndreaParma. sorry Leadsom, is also throwing her hat into the ring.

• Options
    edited June 2016
    DavidL said:

Sparrow, snap analysis: - Last week Michael Gove’s Vote Leave campaign ended the career of David Cameron - a man that Gove has counted as a close friend for more than a decade.

Today the Gove career-destroying machine has turned on Boris Johnson, who until about half an hour ago was the favourite to win the Conservative leadership. Gove, who is respected by colleagues, Tory members and the media, has just published a damning character reference about the man with whom he jointly ran the victorious Vote Leave campaign. Here it is again:

" I respect and admire all the candidates running for the leadership. In particular, I wanted to help build a team behindBoris Johnson so that a politician who argued for leaving the European Union could lead us to a better future.

But I have come, reluctantly, to the conclusion that Boris cannot provide the leadership or build the team for the task ahead."

Bojo is shafted.

I think it's more that Gove believes that Boris will water down the pure wine of a Brexit in favour of some fudge or other. Destroying Boris is just a desirable second order effect.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    JohnO said:

Tanding back for a moment. If the final two are May and Gove, it will be a MUCH closer race than with Johnson. Perhaps Theresa should loan some of MPs to the former undistinguished Mayor.

Gove starts from a worse place in the membership.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,853

surbiton said:

No, I suspect she’s saying that her in charge the Govt will sort out what it thinks is a reasonable negotiating position, with pre-planned fall-backs in it’s back pocket, and only then write the Article 50 letter.
    Negotiating with the EU has been ruled out by the EU. I don't know whether negotiating with EFTA has been ruled out by EFTA, which is something completely different.
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,548
    With all these Tory leadership candidates, maybe they could loan one or two to Labour? They seem to be short of them when they need them.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956
    JohnO said:

Tanding back for a moment. If the final two are May and Gove, it will be a MUCH closer race than with Johnson. Perhaps Theresa should loan some of MPs to the former undistinguished Mayor.

Comment of the day so far.

I have a feeling Boris not standing might be the tactical choice. The stop May choice, even.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

JohnO said:

No, I don't think that's true, but I will conduct 'soundings' from around the patch.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,602
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

TSE - didn't you write a thread about this?

I wonder if Boris even runs now....

Yup
    Insufficiently smug - you need to be bragging about left-field predictions like that.
    Hope you backed it?
    I've been betting on this market since 2006, I think I've backed everyone at some point. Except Boris, I've been laying him like one of many mistresses.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,369

Good solid speech. No change to trading arrangements means free movement continues. OK with me, but may not be universally popular.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Sandpit said:

Floater said:

I am still tickled by the idea that London's financial sector will be shared out between Amsterdam, Paris and Frankfurt. The whole advantage of a financial cluster is that it exists in one place where all the other firms and talent is. Amsterdam is not even a second tier financial cluster. The bankers will surely love the 49% income tax rate in Paris with a wealth tax on top. And Frankfurt is one of the most boring cities in the world. People dread going on business trips there, God forbid living there. Meanwhile London will increase the two thirds of financial service exports to non-EU countries as we sign more trade deals, and we can also scrap the banker bonus cap.

People also appear to be forgetting employment laws in France.

I am sure dynamic businesses paying huge salaries will love that environment...........
    That's also a good point. Most of the businesses that pay the very high salaries and bonuses are very performance-oriented with lots of hiring and firing. What would attract them to a country where not only are income taxes on high earners massive, but it's almost impossible to fire anyone?
    I have first hand experience of French employment laws, honestly, such a disincentive to take staff on.
  • Options

JohnO said:

I will be very conflicted on May v Gove.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,027
    edited June 2016
    Jonathan said:

The main weakness is that she wants no GE and will take the same route as Gordon Brown took in 2007.

The next four years will be tough, managing that as an "unelected PM", without a personal mandate will be tough.

Given that the only thing a general election will do is destroy the labour party at the cost of introducing some (probably mad) UKIP MPs what would be achieved by holding one?

Better to hold your nose and use what's available to you to avoid one. And if needs must bring in 1 or 2 experts from elsewhere to pacify everyone...
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    Subtle message from Teresa May wearing Government Tartan.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    surbiton said:

There are 170+ other nations that we can commence discussions with even if the EU will not meet. What is the real probability of no backroom discussion with EU leaders?
  • Options
    JohnO said:

JohnO said:

No, I don't think that's true, but I will conduct 'soundings' from around the patch.
    Well, having stabbed Boris in the back will have changed things. Gove has a stall he didn't have before.

It is certainly more difficult to attack Gove compared to Johnson, if you're May.

• Options
    I can see May changing the whole EU attitude to free movement.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,924

I see the French finance minister has said that freedom of movement should be on the table at the negotiations. Perhaps those on here who are so certain of what can and cannot be achieved may not be correct.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/30/freedom-of-movement-reform-on-the-table-for-brexit-talks-suggest/

In truth nobody knows. Either side are going to quote people that suit there side of the argument. Every news outlet is carrying at least 2 or 3 contradictory opinions from EU politicians. Opinion within the other 27 EU countries will range from "give them everything they want" to "bring them to their knees".

We won't even know till September what sort of Brexit we are going to ask for let alone whether we stand any chance of getting it.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

*Theresa!
  • Options

No sensible person would lay down hard and fast rules at this stage. On the British side, we have no idea as to who will lead the negotiations.
  • Options
    eek said:

Jonathan said:

Given that the only thing a general election will do is destroy the labour party at the cost of introducing some (probably mad) UKIP MPs what would be achieved by holding one?

Better to hold your nose and use what's available to you to avoid one. And if needs must bring in 1 or 2 experts from elsewhere to pacify everyone...
    There is enough chaos without having a GE. Wilson handed over to Callaghan. That's how it works in UK.
  • Options

dr_spyn said:

*Theresa!
    Indeed. Teresa May is a porn star.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @MrHarryCole: There's the clip: "I'm Theresa May and I'm the best person to be Prime Minister."
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631

JohnO said:

Don't be, May will deliver the referendum result, but she won't do so in a way that destroys our businesses and employment. We can fix the issue of mass immigration on this side of the fence by reforming benefits and education. If you are a Tory you must believe in supply side reforms rather than consumer side restrictions, ending free movement is a restriction on the consumer side which will damage our economy and create mass labour shortages.
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    By being flakey on immigration controls Boris has blown his chances of being PM.

As a result Gove has to stand and that blows the chances of any Brexit candidate winning.

May is only committed to "more control" over immigration not an Australian points system. So May is also flakey on immigration controls.

• Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,780
    edited June 2016
    i'm not making many shrewd political betting calls recently but Boris price now looks value to me and May shouldn't be odds on. It will be May versus ANOTHER and she still has to beat the ANOTHER in the membership ballot.

I've backed Boris! 6.4-6.6.
  • Options
    GadflyGadfly Posts: 1,191
    Fenster said:

I think the sensible money has to be on May, now.

Serious. Punchy. Credible. Sprinkled with humour. A glint in the eye.

Very impressive.

She is clearly enjoying herself!
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693

By being flakey on immigration controls Boris has blown his chances of being PM.

As a result Gove has to stand and that blows the chances of any Brexit candidate winning.

May is only committed to "more control" over immigration not an Australian points system. So May is also flakey on immigration controls.

May is vulnerable on immigration.
  • Options
    Philip CollinsVerified account
    @PCollinsTimes Philip Collins Retweeted Sam Coates Times
    No election till 2020 is good news for Labour. Gives them time to get competitive.
  • Options
    Another reason for opposing Gove is that he is the lickspittle of Murdoch and Dacre. Actually, maybe that's the prime factor.
  • Options

Is Eagle a pretty much a sure thing (c. 90% likelihood) or am I completely misreading the situation?

Eagle is in the process of collecting her 51 signatures. Were I an MP, I'd consider being the 50th person backing her, but not necessarily the 52nd. Like I said yesterday, the 172 Labour MPs should basically be setting themselves up as a papal conclave.

I just have a feeling that the Labour election will end having 3 or 4 runners. Does that increaase the danger of Corbyn squeaking over the line - slightly, but it's a risk worth taking to get a candidate who you could actually see as PM.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    From my mate Faisal

My sense is core vote leavers wanted some absolute assurances from Boris on EU exit strategy - that's some of what's behind Leadsom, gove

So Bozza is the best candidate to keep us in the single market. I might vote for him now.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

TSE - didn't you write a thread about this?

I wonder if Boris even runs now....

Yup
    Insufficiently smug - you need to be bragging about left-field predictions like that.
    Hope you backed it?
    I've been betting on this market since 2006, I think I've backed everyone at some point. Except Boris, I've been laying him like one of many mistresses.
    That phrase is at risk of death by over-use...

(And one of HIS many mistresses? Or yours??)
  • Options
    Pong said:

I don't think the perception is like that. May has the personal qualities to be seen as being able to control immigration, with a record that - in the members' eye - doesn't contradict that.
  • Options
    kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456

Good solid speech. No change to trading arrangements means free movement continues. OK with me, but may not be universally popular.
    she said thats only until we actually leave, she clearly said that there was no mandate for freedom of movement, and no one should be able to wriggle out of that
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292

Philip CollinsVerified account
    @PCollinsTimes Philip Collins Retweeted Sam Coates Times
    No election till 2020 is good news for Labour. Gives them time to get competitive.

With jeremy corbyn still as leader?
  • Options
    asjohnstoneasjohnstone Posts: 1,276
    MaxPB said:

JohnO said:

If you are a Tory you must believe in supply side reforms rather than consumer side restrictions, ending free movement is a restriction on the consumer side which will damage our economy and create mass labour shortages.
    It's what the people voted for, so it must be enacted
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    I've sold off my Theresa May and taken a big punt on Gove @ ~4/1

The fundamentals are very good for him if he makes the final round.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    May drops withdrawing from ECHR ?

Farage lights cigar....
  • Options
    John Rentoul ‏@JohnRentoul 2m2 minutes ago
    Theresa May looks like a prime minister. In charge, good humour, sounds like she knows what she's doing.
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662
    Pong said:

But she is fighting an election to be leader of the Tories, not UKIP.

• Options
    @DPJHodges: That water cannon line is the first time I've seen Theresa May do politics. And you know what, she's good at it.

@RupertMyers: @DPJHodges so good that's the first time you've seen her do it.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291

dr_spyn said:

*Theresa!
    Indeed. Teresa May is a porn star.
    My computer crashed before I could correct that error. But Theresa May is wearing Government Tartan, subtle reminded to Sturgeon, Gove, Boris et al. What a minx.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151

We've been doing this on the last couple of threads: They're trying to tempt British voters into giving up passporting, in exchange for the ability to restrict immigration, to the benefit of Paris, Amsterdam and Frankfurt.
  • Options
    Pro_Rata said:

Eagle is in the process of collecting her 51 signatures. Were I an MP, I'd consider being the 50th person backing her, but not necessarily the 52nd. Like I said yesterday, the 172 Labour MPs should basically be setting themselves up as a papal conclave.

I just have a feeling that the Labour election will end having 3 or 4 runners. Does that increaase the danger of Corbyn squeaking over the line - slightly, but it's a risk worth taking to get a candidate who you could actually see as PM.
    The issue is the same as the last Labour election. Multiple candidates all attack each other and Corbyn sneaks down the left hand flank.. This sadly does need to be one person against Corbyn anything else is utterly pointless..

If Corbyn doesn't stand however all bets are off and you could then have multiple candidates.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

JohnO said:

If you are a Tory you must believe in supply side reforms rather than consumer side restrictions, ending free movement is a restriction on the consumer side which will damage our economy and create mass labour shortages.
    No, the people voted to leave the EU. Nothing more than that.
  • Options
    GadflyGadfly Posts: 1,191
    Lots of suggestions that Boris may be about to pull his bid.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,735

We've been doing this on the last couple of threads: They're trying to tempt British voters into giving up passporting, in exchange for the ability to restrict immigration, to the benefit of Paris, Amsterdam and Frankfurt.
    Indeed.

It will take some time for the Hysteriat to realise that their bubble has popped.
  • Options
    PeterCPeterC Posts: 1,274
    Is this really what it seems? There was talk yesterday that Boris had enough votes to lend them to the third candidate in order to freeze May out of the final round. Gove's action scuppers that. Perhaps Gove is May's sleeper agent.
  • Options
    kjohnw said:

she said thats only until we actually leave, she clearly said that there was no mandate for freedom of movement, and no one should be able to wriggle out of that
    Yes, she'll get her fig leaf. 180 day waiting times are my bet.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Statements by Tory politicians on whether an early GE is likely should be viewed through the prism of whether it looks as though Jeremy Corbyn is about to be defenestrated.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,071

I saw Macron a few weeks ago (and reported it directly to this board): he said EEA, no passporting. So presumably, he's now saying "EEA, no passporting, no FoM".
  • Options
    I'm happy with either May or Gove and a Brexitty cabinet.

On a personal note I think Gove would do well to lose the specs and get contacts and stand up a bit straighter.
  • Options

In the believe that passporting is actually that important.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    John_M said:

DavidL said:

Bojo is shafted.

I think it's more that Gove believes that Boris will water down the pure wine of a Brexit in favour of some fudge or other. Destroying Boris is just a desirable second order effect.
    I'm definitely behind Gove, May isn't what I want in policy terms.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    edited June 2016
    Trying to sort out where the hell I am, are there any other runners ?

May 19.77
    Gove -3.97
    Johnson 4.92
    Leadsom -188.5
    Crabb -604.8
    Baron -188.5
    Fox 61.45

Edit: Ah yes
  • Options

Statements by Tory politicians on whether an early GE is likely should be viewed through the prism of whether it looks as though Jeremy Corbyn is about to be defenestrated.

I imagine if Corbyn hangs on May would go for a snap election in October/November.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Trying to sort out where the hell I am, are there any other runners ?

May 19.77
    Gove -3.97
    Johnson 4.92
    Leadsom -188.5
    Crabb -604.8
    Baron -188.5

Maybe Fox (not confirmed though)
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    I trust everyone who continuously attacked Brown for 3 years for being "unelected" will express the same reactions to the new Con leader if there's no election?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

I saw Macron a few weeks ago (and reported it directly to this board): he said EEA, no passporting. So presumably, he's now saying "EEA, no passporting, no FoM".
    Yes, that was what we said in our report. Restricting FoM will mean giving up a big prize, probably passporting rights (or single market for services, which is just financial passporting plus a few other things).
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    My analogy of Boris and the EURef being his Cannae and the Tory leadership race would be his Zama is looking spot on.

Well what would you expect from PB's foremost classicist.
  • Options
    May is not vulnerable on immigration. The EU result is a reflection of the fact that the electorate understand that the government is powerless to prevent it.

Non-EU migration is mainly fee-paying students.
  • Options
    I like Gove. I think he is a thoughtful, intellectual, spiky asset. And although he'd be a good leader, I just don't think he would win a GE.

I like Johnson. I think he is popular, a good campaigner and a vital asset. But he's flaky and lacks top level bravery and this week he's proved he's not a leader.

I was indifferent about May. But this morning she's proved she is a leader.

My money is on May. Super impressive.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

I imagine if Corbyn hangs on May would go for a snap election in October/November.
    Doubt it. Too much messing about before it can happen. Further, would the electorate take kindly to be shouted at again. We’ve just seen one electoral gamble go badly wrong.
  • Options
    eek said:

Pro_Rata said:

The issue is the same as the last Labour election. Multiple candidates all attack each other and Corbyn sneaks down the left hand flank.. This sadly does need to be one person against Corbyn anything else is utterly pointless..

If Corbyn doesn't stand however all bets are off and you could then have multiple candidates.
    We never got to that stage - Corbyn didn't exactly squeak down the middle, so the theory is untested. Personally, I wouldn't go for more than 3 candidates though, including Corbyn, and I'm pretty sure most of the fire this time will be directed his way, not between the other 2.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144

The Tory Leavers dumping Boris as quickly as they're dumping working class Labour voters. Who'da thunk it?

Some might say this is genius by the Tories. Boris gets tarred and feathered along with Farage with all the unrealistic promises of EU campaign and instead elect a middle way candidate that didn't say a word throughout the referendum.

As an aside, I notice the EU have just announced that following a meeting in March, talks with Turkey in the EU is starting again.

The UK out, Turkey in. I'm sure some in Brussels will think that fair swap....
  • Options

I trust everyone who continuously attacked Brown for 3 years for being "unelected" will express the same reactions to the new Con leader if there's no election?

Humans have many attributes. "Consistency" isn't one of them.

That said, if the optics are right, don't rule out a GE. The Labour party....I have no words for what they are at the moment - "divided" doesn't do it justice...riven by internal dissent is just not up for one.
  • Options
    "Did Andrew Cooper's polls lose the referendum?"
    "What purpose did the polling day announcement of a ten-point lead serve except to persuade Remain voters to stay at home?"
    "Lord Cooper has form: last year, his bullishly named ‘Populus predictor’ gave a wonderfully precise figure for the Tories’ chance of winning a majority: 0.5 per cent. On polling day, he denounced Cameron’s triumphant general election campaign as a ‘prolonged exhibition of insanity’. All of which raises a question: why put him in charge of an EU referendum campaign whose failure could (and did) destroy the Prime Minister?"

http://www.spectator.co.uk/2016/07/how-the-pms-pollster-pal-called-it-wrong-again/
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    When the ball comes loose out of the back of the scrum...the Tories form a ruck, Labour just stand around and look at it.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

JohnO said:

MaxPB said:

JohnO said:

The whole point of Parliamentary documentary is to prevent popular but stupid things from being enacted.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    edited June 2016
    Formal announcement of candidates standing for the Conservative leadership will be made at midday - Sky.

Boris speech at 11am to go ahead.

Sky now running clip of Gove in one of the recent debates saying he wouldn't run.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,796
    Pro_Rata said:

surbiton said:

Negotiating with the EU has been ruled out by the EU. I don't know whether negotiating with EFTA has been ruled out by EFTA, which is something completely different.
    There's no problem negotiating with EFTA, but EFTA is Norway, Switzerland, Liechtenstein and Iceland repesenting 10 million people in total, while the EU is Germany, France and 25 other countries representing 450 million people. Those are the important guys.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053

My analogy of Boris and the EURef being his Cannae and the Tory leadership race would be his Zama is looking spot on.

Well what would you expect from PB's foremost classicist.

Boris hasn't even marched his elephants across the Alps yet. He has 95 minutes to catch up.
  • Options
    Sky News reporting team Osborne "not unhappy with developments this morning"

ROFLMAO
  • Options
    Patrick said:

I'm happy with either May or Gove and a Brexitty cabinet.

On a personal note I think Gove would do well to lose the specs and get contacts and stand up a bit straighter.

Yes, the glasses make him look intelligent, like one of those awful experts.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Formal announcement of candidates standing for the Conservative leadership will be made at midday - Sky.

Sky now running clip of Gove in one of the recent debates saying he wouldn't run.

That was then, this is now.

Keep up!
  • Options

As I pointed out earlier, that's a fool's errand as none of those three will compete with London unless we elect Corbyn Prime Minister.

In addition, passporting is only worth about £10bn max. If that's our only loss Brexit will be a bargain. We can get at least £30bn from improved regulation and perhaps £5bn from a reduced membership fee. That's before we get a trade deal with the US and others.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

ROFLMAO

Boris now cribbing from Emperor Hirohito's first speech to the Japanese people lol.
  • Options
    stjohn said:

i'm not making many shrewd political betting calls recently but Boris price now looks value to me and May shouldn't be odds on. It will be May versus ANOTHER and she still has to beat the ANOTHER in the membership ballot.

I've backed Boris! 6.4-6.6.

That's pretty much the price at which I baled out of my remaining BoJo. He could well be 1000 in an hour
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

That's why Gove will lose, he now looks untrustworthy.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

MaxPB said:

JohnO said:

MaxPB said:

JohnO said:

The whole point of Parliamentary documentary is to prevent popular but stupid things from being enacted. In any case, Free Movement wasn't on the ballot.

• Options
    PlatoSaid said:

John_M said:

DavidL said:

Bojo is shafted.

I'm definitely behind Gove, May isn't what I want in policy terms.
    What's good with Gove standing is he'll be great during the campaign, and will force promises out of May (and the others) on Article 50 etc.

Good move too from May on ditching the budget surplus. Extraordinary times call for extraordinary measures and boxing herself in on the finances would've been silly.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,727
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

JohnO said:

No, the people voted to leave the EU. Nothing more than that.
    ... and only just.
  • Options
    wasdwasd Posts: 276
    edited June 2016

As an aside, I notice the EU have just announced that following a meeting in March, talks with Turkey in the EU is starting again.

A month before the French presidential elections? That's absolutely nuts.

• Options
    John_M said:

Scott_P said:

ROFLMAO

Boris now cribbing from Emperor Hirohito's first speech to the Japanese people lol.
    In one comment Osbourne shows how bad he is at reading politics..
This discussion has been closed.