Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Conservatives’ paradoxical leadership contest

SystemSystem Posts: 11,694
edited June 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Conservatives’ paradoxical leadership contest

If Leave had gone down to a narrow defeat, Boris Johnson would have had all the power with none of the responsibility. He would also have had a senior Cabinet role for a year or two, and a chance to prove himself at that level. There’d be no immediate crisis to manage, and any trouble from Europe – and there would surely have been some – would play to his advantage.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    bunncobunnco Posts: 169
    edited June 2016
    John Baron MP. Basildon and Brexjt. Announces run for Leader.
    BBC PolEd says
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    bunnco said:

John Baron MP. Basildon and Benefit
    BBC PolEd says

Freudian slip?
  • Options
    Gutted that Priti ruled herself out of running.
  • Options
    Angela Eagle is now the clear favourite to be next Labour Leader, currently 2.74 (7/4) with Betfair.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,906
    FPT
    SeanT said:

So what would you like the UK to do? Join the EEA? Or leave the single market as well? What? Serious question. I'm interested to know how REMAINERS are thinking.

Well, thank you kindly for asking... :)

At this point remaining in the EU would require a different deal with the EU, a second referendum, and a popular majority for that deal. Whilst all these things are feasible in theory, the logistics are against it: there is nobody in the EU and UK governments who is minded to construct such a deal, and nobody in the UK government who wishes to legislate for a second referendum, and so on. So it appears that Brexit is, however regrettable, inevitable unless something changes.

So we move from trying to save the ship to trying to choose the lifeboat. Passengers on a sinking ship should choose the nearest lifeboat, not the best. The EEA/EFTA deal has the inestimable advantage of already being in existence and seaworthy, and should therefore be the quickest to join. So we should join that. I am aware it has freedom of movement and is objectionable to many LEAVErs but this can be legitimately spun as a temporary measure to provide respite whilst a longer-lasting deal is assembled in the 2020's with due care.

My present concern is that there are currently no competent people in Government willing or able to do this, and the candidates for PM are unable or unwilling to do this.

Consequently at the moment the most likely outcome appears to be a lengthy renegotiation of everything with everybody, without the numbers or quality of personnel to do it competently.
  • Options
    PaulyPauly Posts: 897
    You've got no proof of the title. Not even going to try and back it up in the piece?
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,290
    Fox has drifted out to 34.

Looks like only 4 have any serious chance.

Stewart Jackson just added to Boris column per Guido - now (including the candidate themselves):

Boris - 28
    Crabb - 17
    May - 9
    Leadsom - nobody yet
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    I'm off now, but Tissue that is a wonderfully clever and original little but of analysis you have done there, so well done comrade.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    edited June 2016
    TP is being too clever by half unlike Johnson.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited June 2016
    FPT:
    Freggles said:

Labour moved to the left when Brown was running for PM, and their level of support fell.

So the party moved further to the left under Miliband "Let's have a go at offering real centre-left policies". Their level of support fell even further.

So the party moved to the outer limits of Labour politics, to the extent that SWP types came into the party. "Miliband was an aberration, Corbyn offers authentic left-wing policies". The level of support, at the ballot box, has been even worse under Corbyn than under Miliband or Brown or Blair.

But sure, maybe it's all a coincidence and the public are lying when they say they won't vote for a left wing labour party, and their actions are lying when they haven't so far

That's very debateable. I think Labour's 2015 manifesto was more right-wing than any of Tony Blair's manifestos -- Blair never stood on a platform to pare back public spending and to be "tougher than the Tories on welfare", after all. Miliband occasionally throwing out some waffle about "responsible capitalism" doesn't mean much when the actual policies were all straight out of Progress pamphlets.

In any case, in 2016, we just got a test of the electoral success of the Labour "moderates"' formula in the EU Referendum -- the "Remain" campaign was designed by some of the leading "moderates" like Chuka Umunna and Emma Reynolds. The main principles (supporting the economic status quo, being the party of big business, being culturally liberal, being "internationalist") are exactly the principles that the "moderates" want Labour to follow. It failed spectacularly in the referendum, so why on earth would it be a good idea to model official Labour strategy on it?
  • Options
    bunnco said:

BBC PolEd says

Not listed at all on Betfair.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,941
    Letting Boris lead ties the Tories to the promises he made during the referendum and which he will be constantly called to account for. A pragmatic Remainer gets them off the hook. They'd be mad not to go for May. I very much hope they go for Boris.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486

Angela Eagle is now the clear favourite to be next Labour Leader, currently 2.74 (7/4) with Betfair.

Lib Dems here I come. Angela is horrid
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,008
    From the last thread
    Omnium said:

eek said:

MaxPB said:

murali_s said:

I really don't know Sean - I'm just a simple middle manager in a corporate.

Possibly kick Article 50 into the long grass and keep it there for a number of years - but I know the risks with that are huge but the risks with other options could be bigger.

We are in a huge mess - all self-inflicted.

Staying in the EU was and still is the best option IMHO.

I think delaying Article 50 for too long will hang over the economy like a black cloud, ours and in the EU. We need a pre-negotiated settlement and then trigger article 50. Right now the EU is understandably upset at the leave vote, we need to let them calm down over the summer, let the new PM settle in and then let her(!) begin negotiating along with her new team, once an outline is reached then trigger article 50 and have a joint announcement over the timetable for our transition into EFTA and that we will remain a signitory to the EEA agreement and crucially for UK and EU businesses; in the single market, we will also pay into Horizon2020, the single European sky and a few other optional programmes like Erasmus.

Economic stability prioritised, no mention of the emergency brake, we can solve immigration by making the benefits system contribution based and invest in education and training.
    Good luck with that. We wouldn't be in this mess if that was easy....
    However it perhaps is that easy.
    Don't get me wrong I think it's essential that we do implement a contribution based system and now is about the one time you could implement it. Trouble is I really can't see anyone brave enough to do it. Heck the one thing untouched in the sod you all brexit budget was benefits.

That really should have been items 1, 2 and 3 in that budget.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited June 2016
    David Blanchflower, one of a group of economists who has been advising the shadow chancellor John McDonnell on issues including future reform of the Bank of England, has said that he is pulling out of the role.

Trying to get to 5 million unemployed, one person at a time.
  • Options
    John Baron standing "to ensure referendum promises are honoured".
    No Surrender
    No Compromise
    Popcorn
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    I've always liked Angela Eagle, but how on earth is she an answer to any of Labour's problems? I'm not even sure she's any better than Corbyn on the presentational/"looks like a prime minister" front.

I fear she may well be about to prove that "Corbyn is not doing well" is not at all the same thing as "there is someone available who would do better than Corbyn".
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    Explosions and gunfire at Istanbul airport
  • Options
    hunchmanhunchman Posts: 2,591

I'm sure misery guts would go down well in the country. And how on earth did Labour manage to miss 4 votes off either side in the no confidence vote. They couldn't run a whelk stall to save their life right now. I said to friends at work today that 212 was a suspiciously low number given the number of Labour MP's on hearing the news.

Am going through Ataturk airport in Istanbul in 6 weeks time, hope everyone is alright there.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    MikeL said:

Stewart Jackson just added to Boris column per Guido .

That's Boris buggered then.

• Options
    MikeL said:

bunnco said:

BBC PolEd says

I'm sitting next to BBC PolEx at a meeting. I've seen the texts.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    My Mum is 91, a Con member, voted Leave and loves Boris.

She reads Boris's articles in the Telegraph avidly and always agrees with everything he says.

She has just told me she is supporting Theresa May for leader.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,496
    FPT

I'm loving #BrexitProblems

-No-one has given me a job now I've graduated!
    -My skyscraper might not be built!
    -Someone I've talked to is worried!
    -Someone else I've talked to is thinking of moving to France!
    -No-one is certain whether they want to throw finance at my amazing newt-selling app start-up!

DO YOU SEE WHAT YOU'VE DONE BREXITERS? DO YOU??

*Rest of Britain gets on with life*

Sorry, I don't find others' economic misfortune particularly funny.
    The humour lies in the fact that all these issues (aside from not being life and death) were entirely plentiful before. But we don't have uncertainty now, we have brexit uncertainty. We don't have racism, we have brexit racism. We don't have 'I didn't get the job', we have 'Brexit took my job'. It's becoming the new 'immigration' for the metros.

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,951
    Bit of abuse for Boris at the protest now. Looks very well behaved though.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,532
    Michael Crick

Good source says Andy Burnham about to quit Shadow Cabinet, and three people appointed to it yesterday
  • Options
    Freggles said:

Fine pie shares - Buy Buy Buy ..
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Michael Crick

Good source says Andy Burnham about to quit Shadow Cabinet, and three people appointed to it yesterday

Slow hand clap...
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited June 2016
    JackW said:

MikeL said:

Stewart Jackson just added to Boris column per Guido .

That's Boris buggered then.

Jack, if you don't mind me asking, how do you think the Con membership will vote if it's May v Boris?

60/40?

• Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185
    I'm an open minded voter and drift around the Tory/Lib Dem axis, I voted in Anna Soubry last year as the Labour candidate was an arse.
    I would not vote for Johnson's Tories unless he came up with some stunning policies, and he won't.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    bunnco said:

MikeL said:

bunnco said:

BBC PolEd says

I'm sitting next to BBC PolEx at a meeting. I've seen the texts.
    I wasn't doubting you - just noting that he may need to be added to the Betfair markets.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486

FPT

-No-one is certain whether they want to throw finance at my amazing newt-selling app start-up!

The humour lies in the fact that all these issues (aside from not being life and death) were entirely plentiful before. But we don't have uncertainty now, we have brexit uncertainty. We don't have racism, we have brexit racism. We don't have 'I didn't get the job', we have 'Brexit took my job'. It's becoming the new 'immigration' for the metros.

Yeah, the pound has been in the toilet for years!.....?
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

Michael Crick

Yet more Blairites!
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,532
    Another excellent contribution from Mr Price.

I chose the pic, I hope we'll see more of it post September 9th
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    bunnco said:

BBC PolEd says

It's always good to have one joke candidate - I always assumed it would be Boris. :)
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610
    Yes, good thread.

As I saod last thread. Theresa becomes leader advocates and agrees EEA membership with the EU, calls a snap election vs Corbyn who just about holds on, watches Labour get destroyed in the north by UKIP. After winning she makes Boris chancellor to deliver the Leave prospectus and the millions per week to the NHS. In one stroke she has defeated her rival and decapitated Labour while delivering an economic settlement that will placate most Tory voters who plumped for Leave as we will be out of the EU and have control over our laws and non-EU trade.

Theresa May could be a modern day Michael Corleone at the end of the Godfather.
  • Options

Michael Crick

How long do we give him before he changes his mind?
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039

Michael Crick

Surely Falconer has to go now?
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    edited June 2016
    felix said:

bunnco said:

BBC PolEd says

It's always good to have one joke candidate - I always assumed it would be Boris. :)

Based on the way things are going right now, Baron could end up winning...
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,984
    Freggles said:

Me too. Stella Creasy would be my preferred candidate - probably not popular enough in the party, or with the unions, but it would certainly indicate a clean break with the nightmare of the last few years.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    edited June 2016
    Freggles said:

Angela Eagle has the popular appeal of Colonel Rosa Klebb.
  • Options
    @MichaelLCrick: SNP Parliamentary leader Angus Robertson may claim at PMQs tmrw he should be deemed Leader of Opposition as has 56 MPs behind him; Corbyn 40
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Michael Crick

Yet more Blairites!
    Do you think Angela Eagle would be more electorally successful than Corbyn?
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    HaroldO said:

I'm an open minded voter and drift around the Tory/Lib Dem axis, I voted in Anna Soubry last year as the Labour candidate was an arse.
    I would not vote for Johnson's Tories unless he came up with some stunning policies, and he won't.

Lol.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,488
    Scott_P said:

@MichaelLCrick: SNP Parliamentary leader Angus Robertson may claim at PMQs tmrw he should be deemed Leader of Opposition as has 56 MPs behind him; Corbyn 40

Popcorn at the ready
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Danny565 said:

Jonathan said:

Michael Crick

Yet more Blairites!
    A sack of shit would be more electorally successful than Corbyn. He will lose every Labour seat bar Islington and still not resign.
  • Options

I am going...but I have to say there is a huge amount of logic there. It would have been Yvette, if she had swallowed a bit of pride and taken a job with Corbyn. But Angela took a job with Corbyn, has done alright, shown some pluckiness at PMQ's, taken Brexit on with the live TV debate and has now resigned (unlike Burnham). She has proven to be on the right side of the left political pendulum...so I would guess has proved herself.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

felix said:

bunnco said:

BBC PolEd says

He'll be leader of Labour first.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,488
    Jonathan said:

Michael Crick

Yet more Blairites!
    Beyond ridicule!
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    SeanT said:

BOTH SIDES LIED

The answer is always more Europe.
  • Options

felix said:

bunnco said:

BBC PolEd says

Not in a million years.
  • Options

Michael Crick

How long do we give him before he changes his mind?
    Reek will come crawling back if Corbyn wins the members vote.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    FWIW for the first time since the vote, I have a sense that Brexit may not actually happen. A small chance, but not zero.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Danny565 said:

Jonathan said:

Michael Crick

Yet more Blairites!
    A sack of shit would be more electorally successful than Corbyn. He will lose every Labour seat bar Islington and still not resign.
    That's not an answer to my question. Do you think Eagle would be more electorally successful? What evidence is there of it?
  • Options

Michael Crick

Didn't JackW make a point that Labour peers cannot resign since they were not appointed by Jezza?

• Options
    David Miliband out to 16s....
  • Options
    John_N4John_N4 Posts: 553
    Fun fact of the day: no Democratic US President has handed over to a fellow Democrat in an election since before the Civil War. (Franklin Pierce -> James Buchanan in 1856).

And even the Republicans have only done a single electoral handover to another Republican since the Great Depression (Ronald Reagan -> his vice-president George H W Bush in 1988).
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    viewcode said:

FPT

SeanT said:

So what would you like the UK to do? Join the EEA? Or leave the single market as well? What? Serious question. I'm interested to know how REMAINERS are thinking.

Well, thank you kindly for asking... :)

At this point remaining in the EU would require a different deal with the EU, a second referendum, and a popular majority for that deal. Whilst all these things are feasible in theory, the logistics are against it: there is nobody in the EU and UK governments who is minded to construct such a deal, and nobody in the UK government who wishes to legislate for a second referendum, and so on. So it appears that Brexit is, however regrettable, inevitable unless something changes.

So we move from trying to save the ship to trying to choose the lifeboat. Passengers on a sinking ship should choose the nearest lifeboat, not the best. The EEA/EFTA deal has the inestimable advantage of already being in existence and seaworthy, and should therefore be the quickest to join. So we should join that. I am aware it has freedom of movement and is objectionable to many LEAVErs but this can be legitimately spun as a temporary measure to provide respite whilst a longer-lasting deal is assembled in the 2020's with due care.

My present concern is that there are currently no competent people in Government willing or able to do this, and the candidates for PM are unable or unwilling to do this.

Consequently at the moment the most likely outcome appears to be a lengthy renegotiation of everything with everybody, without the numbers or quality of personnel to do it competently.
    Why should what is objectionable to some leavers be the determining factor? If there is a clear majority in the country for effective freedom of movement then that is the way to go.

• Options
    HaroldO said:

Boris has always been seen as a buffoon by many. What has changed now is that there is a sizable part of the population - and many within his own party - who absolutely despise him. It's not great to be in that position before you even declare your candidacy for PM.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Those EU Army proposals, which we were told were rubbish

http://eeas.europa.eu/statements-eeas/2016/160628_02_en.htm

EU Army. She literally talks about hard power.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,796
    tyson said:

Michael Crick

Didn't JackW make a point that Labour peers cannot resign since they were not appointed by Jezza?

Mr Jobabob is the PB expert on this matter, and this matter alone.
  • Options
    Pong said:

Jack, if you don't mind me asking, how do you think the Con membership will vote if it's May v Boris?

60/40?

Hopefully May. But I have no special insight on this one. PB Tories will be especially useful here.

FWIW my initial impressions are that whilst they appreciate Boris's entertainment value and see beyond his buffonery to a more serious politician he still lacks the depth to be PM. May is a safe pair of hands for the challenging times ahead.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

MaxPB said:

Yes, good thread.

As I saod last thread. Theresa becomes leader advocates and agrees EEA membership with the EU, calls a snap election vs Corbyn who just about holds on, watches Labour get destroyed in the north by UKIP. After winning she makes Boris chancellor to deliver the Leave prospectus and the millions per week to the NHS. In one stroke she has defeated her rival and decapitated Labour while delivering an economic settlement that will placate most Tory voters who plumped for Leave as we will be out of the EU and have control over our laws and non-EU trade.

Yes. A month ago I might have entertained Boris as leader. I like him, and have reasons to be personally grateful to him. But this crisis is too serious. And that column from yesterday which he then withdrew today was the last straw.

We need someone relentlessly dull but reasonably competent. And a comforting, matronly bosom for a distraught and weepy nation.

May it is. I wish we had Mrs T.
    I'd just like things to calm down from 110 mph. A John Major dull middle aged dad type would be welcome now.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

MaxPB said:

Yes, good thread.

Yes. A month ago I might have entertained Boris as leader. I like him, and have reasons to be personally grateful to him. But this crisis is too serious. And that column from yesterday which he then withdrew today was the last straw.

We need someone relentlessly dull but reasonably competent. And a comforting, matronly bosom for a distraught and weepy nation.

If we had Mrs Thatcher we wouldn't be leaving. We would have ejected the Frogs!
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    SeanT said:

Do we care about an EU army? even if we we're still in we wouldn't have to join and it wouldn't affect us.
  • Options
    John_N4John_N4 Posts: 553
    edited June 2016
    MaxPB said:

If we had Mrs Thatcher we wouldn't be leaving. We would have ejected the Frogs!

"They don't like it up 'em!"
  • Options
    edited June 2016

Michael Crick

He resigned yesterday.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,056

FPT

"The humour lies in the fact that all these issues (aside from not being life and death) were entirely plentiful before."

My experience over the last few days is that it is much worse. Especially the fear and uncertainty.

Still, at least you can find it funny.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Jonathan said:

FWIW for the first time since the vote, I have a sense that Brexit may not actually happen. A small chance, but not zero.

You've actually gone BACK to Kubler Ross Stage 1. Denial.
    Doubt it, not feeling much either way. Just smelling the whiff of fudge, whether that is your preferred non-brexit-brexit or something more. Not saying it's likely, just not impossible.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,758
    edited June 2016
    SeanT said:

Yup that's pretty much the european army though looking at the statement they may not actually do much combat

" It focuses on military capabilities and anti-terrorism as much as on job opportunities, inclusive societies and human rights."

it's the Peace Corps mark2
  • Options
    Pretty damning attack on Margaret Hodge (following link from Piers Corbyn weatheraction.com homepage):

http://cecaust.com.au/releases/2016_06_27_Corbyn.html

And I have said on here before, remember that Mr Corbyn has been informed and knows all about the activity on 'that road' that would damn many of his enemies in the PLP right now. Now that would be the ultimate nuclear option!
  • Options
    Oh, this seems like fun:

Paul Waugh
    @paulwaugh
    Interesting thought. Ministers of Crown Act 1937 gives Speaker power to choose official leader of Opposition if uncertainty over who it is.
  • Options
    BromptonautBromptonaut Posts: 1,113
    If it's May and Eagle, a majority of party leaders will be women.

Now that's an unexpected outcome of Brexit.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    SeanT said:

It occurs to me that, once the UK leaves, the EU can drop English as a standard language.
  • Options
    HaroldO said:

New to PB.com and its posters are we Harold?
  • Options

Oh, this seems like fun:

Paul Waugh
    @paulwaugh
    Interesting thought. Ministers of Crown Act 1937 gives Speaker power to choose official leader of Opposition if uncertainty over who it is.

Hasn't he been doing that job for the past few months himself?
  • Options
    Has Lord Falconer emerged from Finchley Road yet ?
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

SeanT said:

It occurs to me that, once the UK leaves, the EU can drop English as a standard language.
    I don't think the Irish would be too happy about that!
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

SeanT said:

Well, they might very well do so Anne. What would they replace it with? English is the global lingua franca. If that's not the very definition of irony, what is?
  • Options
    JonathanD said:

SeanT said:

Do we care about an EU army? even if we we're still in we wouldn't have to join and it wouldn't affect us.
    Yes because it undermines NATO. Whatever you say or think about the US, we need them and their Polaris missiles. We should not be part of a union which seeks to undermine our defence posture and most reliable military partner of recent times.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,056

SeanT said:

MaxPB said:

Yes, good thread.

I'd just like things to calm down from 110 mph. A John Major dull middle aged dad type would be welcome now.
    We need someone boring and effective, rather than exciting and ineffective.

Mind you, we'll probably end up with the worst combination of all: boring and ineffective. ;)

A boss once told me that engineering is at its best when no-one considers that it's there. It just works. Perhaps the same should be true of politicians.
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040

Michael Crick

Falconer will be the last to go...
  • Options
    Bercow should call Boris as LoO just for a laugh.

(obviously he wont show up).
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

Gutted that Priti ruled herself out of running.

Maybe she's hoping for the exchequer.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

SeanT said:

MaxPB said:

Yes, good thread.

Mind you, we'll probably end up with the worst combination of all: boring and ineffective. ;)

A boss once told me that engineering is at its best when no-one considers that it's there. It just works. Perhaps the same should be true of politicians.
    Step forward Philip Hammond...boring, tick, just sorts of works and nobody even know is doing the job, tick.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

JonathanD said:

SeanT said:

Even if it wasn't going to affect us, it was one of those "EU pipedreams" which REMAINIANS chortlingly dismissed as utterly impossible, like Turkish accession, etc

They did this, knowing they were lying, because they know that most of these pipedreams are entirely possible, but if we were told that, we'd vote LEAVE. So they lied. As we see here.
    The EU: "Damn, here's another completely avoidable crisis. What on earth shall we do?"
    Chorus: "This calls for MoreEuropeman!"
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Has Lord Falconer emerged from Finchley Road yet ?

Pulpstar you naughty boy!!!
  • Options
    @andyburnhammp: Your "good source" is wrong, Michael. https://t.co/lnSuzxPOnS

Bummer
  • Options
    SeanT said:

HaroldO said:

Boris has always been seen as a buffoon by many. What has changed now is that there is a sizable part of the population - and many within his own party - who absolutely despise him. It's not great to be in that position before you even declare your candidacy for PM.
    And he is going to own any economic downside to Brexit. I think this ruins his chances, in one go, unless we are remarkably lucky and avoid all chaos. That seems improbable.
    Yes, it's quite something. A whole country's economy going down the pan all because of the festering resentment occasioned by some incident at Eton over 30 years ago that offended his amour-propre.
  • Options
    PAWPAW Posts: 1,074
    "Juncker Refuses To Speak English In Address To EU Parliament" from zero hedge though
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Scott_P said:

@andyburnhammp: Your "good source" is wrong, Michael. https://t.co/lnSuzxPOnS

Bummer

LOL. Now that is genuinely funny.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,758
    JonathanD said:

SeanT said:

it would

it will still end up with us and the yanks doing the actual fighting while the dutch and danes conduct risk assessments and employee surveys
  • Options

SeanT said:

MaxPB said:

Yes, good thread.

Step forward Philip Hammond...boring, tick, just sorts of works and nobody even know is doing the job, tick.
    Can't we at least consider the Belgian solution? We could do the nation-state equivalent of 'run silent, run deep' for a few years.
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

SeanT said:

I'm not sure the Irish will be too happy about that.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,027
    John_M said:

AnneJGP said:

SeanT said:

Well, they might very well do so Anne. What would they replace it with? English is the global lingua franca. If that's not the very definition of irony, what is?
    What about Malta and Ireland?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Brilliant stuff! I quite agree lol!
  • Options
    edited June 2016

AnneJGP said:

SeanT said:

Nor would the Poles, do you think so many of them can speak Dutch, Spanish or French :p. English is the de facto standard language of Europe now.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,796
    John_M said:

AnneJGP said:

SeanT said:

They'll just vote American as the standard language. The residual EU can't work without English.

The one thing that Brexit is sure to achieve is that English will be our world's language.

• Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,941
    Danny565 said:

Jonathan said:

Danny565 said:

Jonathan said:

Michael Crick

Yet more Blairites!
    That's not an answer to my question. Do you think Eagle would be more electorally successful? What evidence is there of it?

She would not be my choice, but I think she would definitely be more effective than Corbyn. She can, for a start, hope to have the best Labour has on the front bench with her. That may not be a lot, but it is better than what Labour has now. Chuka, Cooper, Kendall, Jarvis, Leslie, Nandy and so on would bring a heft that clearly does not exist currently, and would be able to hold the Tories to account much more effectively.
  • Options
    LucyJonesLucyJones Posts: 651
    AnneJGP said:

SeanT said:

Maybe we should tell 'em they can't use English any more. :)

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

AnneJGP said:

SeanT said:

Nor would the Poles, do you think so many of them can speak Dutch, Spanish or French :p. English is the de facto standard language of Europe now.
    I was going to say the Scandi's, because nobody else speaks their language...but then I remembered they all speak about 12 different languages so it wouldn't matter a jot.
This discussion has been closed.