Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Conservatives’ paradoxical leadership contest

Comments

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 77,924
    edited June 2016
    Freggles said:

The Telegraph: Vodafone warns it may move its HQ out of the UK. http://google.com/newsstand/s/CBIwgrqppys

Interesting bit at the bottom of the piece regarding data held by Visa that can't be moved out of the EU - is that a statutory obligation?
    EU Data Protection Act means that only 'accredited safe havens' outside the EU can be trusted with sensitive personal information.
    There is that whole issue with us companies & this.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/riskmap/2015/10/27/the-eu-safe-harbor-agreement-is-dead-heres-what-to-do-about-it/#55142d6f7171
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,197
    Has some more news come out on Watto/Eagle ?!
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Freggles said:

EU Data Protection Act means that only 'accredited safe havens' outside the EU can be trusted with sensitive personal information.

The Germans are particularly snotty about it.

EDS (before the HP acquisition) had all its UK payroll on systems in Germany, because they couldn't move the German ones and it was cheaper to have 1 than 2
  • Options
    YellowSubmarineYellowSubmarine Posts: 2,740
    City A.M.: SNP meets City lobbyist as Edinburgh seeks London's financial crown. http://google.com/newsstand/s/CBIw1pam5CU
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    According to the Telegraph, Brexit has caused a possible collapse of the Italian banking system. That was in the print edition, don't know what the latest is.
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,887
    George Eaton on Twitter is basically saying if Corbyn resigns it'll be Watson and if he stays, Eagles will be the one to challenge him.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    edited June 2016

AndyJS said:

nunu said:

AndyJS said:

nunu said:

hunchman said:

AndyJS said:

Full break-down of how each ward in B'ham voted:

"The EU referendum created a huge divide in Birmingham – with more than three quarters voting to Remain in some wards and the same ratio voting Leave in others.
    The Brexit battle in the city was the most fierce in the UK, with 50.4 per cent of more than 450,000 voters wanting to Leave.
    New data reveals how the votes differed wildly in different parts of the city.
    In all, 22 of Birmingham’s 40 wards voted to Leave, and 18 wanted to remain."

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/eu-referendum-results-your-area-11536368

Thanks Andy. Maybe I was a bit quick to pour scorn on that BBC Midlands political commentator who was saying 55 to 60% remain at the start of the night, which looks perfectly possible if he was seeing the votes from some of those wards going 75% remain.
    Does that show a split amongst Asian vs White wards?
    Yes. Pretty high Remain vote in the Asian areas.
    Sad.
    But in Leicester the Asian vote must have split a lot more evenly.
    My impression was of my ethnically vibrant workmates:

Middle class Hindus for Leave.

Muslims for Remain or not voting because of Ramadan.

Afro-Caribbeans for Remain

Filipinos for Leave

Europeans with voting rights for Remain.

It was a mixed picture.

I think the initial simplic analysis is just that. The reasons people voted the way they did appears in some places a bit more complex.

One thing that I thought of why certain areas with high Asian populations might have voted leave. Lots of small business owners & people working in small close knit organisations. The sort of places that EU redtape / regs (and regs blamed on eu) has a much more noticeable affect than working for a massive multi national.
    The main sentiment that I got (and reported the anecdata here) was Indian doctors and filipino nurses saying "I had to jump though hoops and take exams to get work here, why shouldn't they?"

They are already finding that those folk who do not like Greeks or Portuguese like Asians even less.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    VISA moving hundreds of jobs to Europe.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,154
    Seriously why are they bothering to challenge Jezza when he is just going to be re-elected by the membership and Unions again?
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    Pulpstar said:

Has some more news come out on Watto/Eagle ?!

It's all a bluff.

And Corbyn is still lashed to the wheel of the sinking ship...
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    Encouraging noises in the Telegraph regarding Cameron's talks today. Nice to see the Poles and Czechs putting the boot into Junckers. The Battle of Britain II has begun!
  • Options
    Watson heading for evens, Eagle >5...
  • Options
    surbiton said:

If the entire Italian banking system really is about to collapse they might want to hold off on that decision for a day or two... ;)
  • Options
    FeersumEnjineeyaFeersumEnjineeya Posts: 4,024
    edited June 2016
    AndyJS said:

John_M said:

hunchman said:

AndyJS said:

"The EU referendum created a huge divide in Birmingham – with more than three quarters voting to Remain in some wards and the same ratio voting Leave in others.
    The Brexit battle in the city was the most fierce in the UK, with 50.4 per cent of more than 450,000 voters wanting to Leave.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/eu-referendum-results-your-area-11536368

If you know Brum that makes very interesting reading.
    Those differences in the 4 wards in Edgbaston are just amazing in Gisela's backyard - I never thought those wards would behave so differently.
    Sutton Coldfield is an old stamping ground of mine. That was split 2:2, which was a genuine surprise. Would have thought it rock solid Remain.
    Remain managed to win a tiny majority in the poshest part of the town, Four Oaks. They needed to win it easily.
    One of those Four Oaks Remain votes was mine :-)

My bit's not quite so posh though.

Edit: Although Four Oaks is affluent, the inhabitants tend to be self-made types, owners of small businesses and the like. There are rather fewer corporate graduate types, and probably fewer with a degree than you'd expect for such an area.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 115,623
    surbiton said:

Might be moving.

You do the Remain cause no good with your hyping of job losses.
  • Options
    nunu said:

AndyJS said:

nunu said:

AndyJS said:

nunu said:

hunchman said:

AndyJS said:

Thanks Andy. Maybe I was a bit quick to pour scorn on that BBC Midlands political commentator who was saying 55 to 60% remain at the start of the night, which looks perfectly possible if he was seeing the votes from some of those wards going 75% remain.
    Does that show a split amongst Asian vs White wards?
    Yes. Pretty high Remain vote in the Asian areas.
    Sad.
    But in Leicester the Asian vote must have split a lot more evenly.
    Then the Muslim vote might be heavily remain as Leicesters Asian population is more Hindu.
    Also Hounslow both Hindu and Muslim voted 51/49. Slough more Hindu than Muslim voted Leave. However, Luton , mostly Muslim voted 50:50.
  • Options

surbiton said:

Might be moving.

Can't shut your eyes. Do you want censorship ?
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,947
    surbiton said:

Big firms switch jobs all the time.

VISA in the UK is I think much like McDonalds anyway.

I've yet to know of one person that has been affected in their employment by Brexit. (However it is of course very early days)

• Options
    Laid £40 of Watto @: 2.45 ^_^
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

About... turn!

No-one knows, do they?
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976

MikeL said:

Could May appoint Cameron to a top Cabinet post - ie Foreign Sec or Chancellor?

Don’t see why not – only problem I foresee, is Cameron’s final departure date. Personally I don't see him hanging around till 2020.
    I cannot see that, Cameron wouldn't want if after doing the top job.
    Unlikely, perhaps but not unprecedented. Sir Alec Douglas Home was Foreign Secretary after being Prime Minister, and Neville Chamberlain served in Churchill's wartime cabinet.
    Great factoid – was the latter decision however, more to do with WW11 than convention?
  • Options
    surbiton said:

That's not the actual story. I know we've all got axes to grind, but we deserve better. Like a lot of things, it's conditional on the UK's final agreement with the EU.
  • Options
    Maybe the Queen swung it with her "give me 3 good reasons why we should stay in Europe" comment.
  • Options
    DisraeliDisraeli Posts: 1,106
    AndyJS said:

According to the Telegraph, Brexit has caused a possible collapse of the Italian banking system. That was in the print edition, don't know what the latest is.

This is all that I have seen on the matter:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2016/06/27/italy-eyes-40bn-bank-rescue-as-first-brexit-domino-falls/
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

surbiton said:

If the entire Italian banking system really is about to collapse they might want to hold off on that decision for a day or two... ;)
    Oh, yes ! THe banking system was collapsing because they were watching their football team.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

surbiton said:

Might be moving.

I want the truth.

The jobs haven't been moved, it is conditional on what deal we get.
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    AndyJS said:

BBC — at least 28 dead in Turkey. 3 suicide bombers believed to have carried out attack.

Pure suicide commando attack. International terminal. The obvious suspects are IS but they have shown a marked reluctance to claim attacks in Turkey (even though they have attacked before) so it will be interesting to see if there is a claim. They do have a reason now to come out of anonymity if its them.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

Good vibes. Why should he give room ? He won last time.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

About... turn!

No-one knows, do they?
    Jezza has the Unions and the membership and gets on to the ballot because he's leader. How exactly are they getting him out?
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    surbiton said:

Stupid boy.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,220
    One more time before bed:

Guarantee Clive Lewis sufficient nominations to get onto the ballot and Corbyn will resign.

Come on Watson et al, do the deal and we can have a full-on leadership election.

If it is Corbyn v Eagle I don't know if I will bother to vote.
  • Options

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

Might be moving.

I want the truth.

So they will announce it in 2019 ?
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    SeanT said:

Consider this: if REMAIN had won Cameron would now be trying to awkwardly explain the "EU army" was not an "EU army" despite it clearly being an "EU army" in the form of an "EU army".

The entire narrative would be "REMAIN lied to us"

The phrase to make you shudder is 'strategic autonomy'. Look at the EU's domestic policies. Look at its track record. Do we really want an EU waving its military willy at Russia? Or trying to fix North Africa or the Middle East. Certain elements of the EU are so jealous of the USA, they want to have their own Vietnam.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

Might be moving.

I want the truth.

No, they may never announce it.

That's the point
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Maybe the Queen swung it with her "give me 3 good reasons why we should stay in Europe" comment.

Very subtly, I suspect HMQ played her part...
  • Options
    chestnut said:

surbiton said:

Stupid boy.
    You guys have done immeasurable damage to this country. By the way, the news is from Sky news. Go and complain to them.
  • Options
    My money would be on Nad if it came to a fight.

Nadine Dorries @NadineDorriesMP
    I saw Anna Soubry leave the bar before she went outside. She was inebriated, not emotional. https://twitter.com/itvnews/status/747902049262571520
  • Options
    surbiton said:

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

Might be moving.

I want the truth.

I fear you're a hopeless case. I can't stop you posting made up shite, so carry on.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
  • Options
    surbiton said:

chestnut said:

surbiton said:

Stupid boy.
    You guys have done immeasurable damage to this country. By the way, the news is from Sky news. Go and complain to them.
    This is what Sky said

Hundreds of British-based jobs at the credit card giant Visa COULD be forced to relocate to the Continent in the wake of last week's EU referendum.

http://news.sky.com/story/1718832/brexit-jobs-threat-at-credit-card-giant-visa
  • Options
    YellowSubmarineYellowSubmarine Posts: 2,740
    City A.M.: Bye London hello Edinburgh? Finance won't stay if we exit the Single Market. http://google.com/newsstand/s/CBIw9Miapys

• Options
    SeanT said:

"Seamus, I'm Not Sure This Is A Good Idea" would make a brilliant song for The Smiths. If they reformed.

Title for Jezza's autobiography.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

AndyJS said:

Very subtly, I suspect HMQ played her part...
    That is why we should be a Republic. We could have impeached the President.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,987
    AndyJS said:
    Surely the Tories can do better than that?
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 26,082
    John_M said:

surbiton said:

That's not the actual story. I know we've all got axes to grind, but we deserve better. Like a lot of things, it's conditional on the UK's final agreement with the EU.
    Vodaphone thinking about leaving
    VISA thinking about leaving
    Morgan Stanley not leaving
    Bloomberg not leaving
    People 'freezing' big investment

In other words - companies considering their options when a country makes a big political and economic change.

Hardly fighting for places on the last boat to get away from broken racist Britain.

The narrative will come unstuck because no sensible company will actually be prepared to DO any of this stuff on the basis of this flimsy hand-flapping episode.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 77,924
    Y0kel said:

AndyJS said:

BBC — at least 28 dead in Turkey. 3 suicide bombers believed to have carried out attack.

Pure suicide commando attack. International terminal. The obvious suspects are IS but they have shown a marked reluctance to claim attacks in Turkey (even though they have attacked before) so it will be interesting to see if there is a claim. They do have a reason now to come out of anonymity if its them.
    Media reports they threw grenades before blowing themselves up.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

RodCrosby said:

Good vibes. Why should he give room ? He won last time.
    They don't need an election. They need a Theological Conference...

"Look, he's not the Messiah"
    "Yes, he is!"
    "No, he isn't"
  • Options
    Both on a drift now !
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 49,129
    SeanT said:

"Seamus, I'm Not Sure This Is A Good Idea" would make a brilliant song for The Smiths. If they reformed.

"Stop me if you think that I've sacked this one before"
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,394
    Big move - Leadsom just matched at 7.
  • Options
    handandmousehandandmouse Posts: 213

Guarantee Clive Lewis sufficient nominations to get onto the ballot and Corbyn will resign.

Come on Watson et al, do the deal and we can have a full-on leadership election.

QFT
  • Options
    PAWPAW Posts: 1,074
    That is a very gloomy article on the problems with Italian banks - do you people in the know agree with it?
  • Options

I saw Anna Soubry leave the bar before she went outside. She was inebriated, not emotional. https://twitter.com/itvnews/status/747902049262571520

I thought Miss Soubry said on Question Time on Sunday that it's time to "move on" from the debate?
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,947

Labour need a bigger figure to stand.

Clive Lewis may have some good points. but he's hopeless in the big scheme of things.

I have no clue who it could be. Diane Abbot?

• Options

City A.M.: Bye London hello Edinburgh? Finance won't stay if we exit the Single Market. http://google.com/newsstand/s/CBIw9Miapys

It's a race between Khan and Sturgeon as to who can declare London and Scotland independent the quickest.

Sturgeon has some historical precedent on her side, and a big head start on Khan.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Labour thinking outside of the box?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SO WE STAY IN THE EFFING SINGLE MARKET

I hope Boris is reading
    With free movement?
  • Options

MikeL said:

Could May appoint Cameron to a top Cabinet post - ie Foreign Sec or Chancellor?

Don’t see why not – only problem I foresee, is Cameron’s final departure date. Personally I don't see him hanging around till 2020.
    I cannot see that, Cameron wouldn't want if after doing the top job.
    I quite agree, but the question was "Could May appoint Cameron" not whether he'd accept.
    Mrs May is the member of cabinet that Cameron has the worst relations with. There is no way she would want him in her cabinet.
  • Options
    Disraeli said:

AndyJS said:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2016/06/27/italy-eyes-40bn-bank-rescue-as-first-brexit-domino-falls/
    To the Leavers this is equivalent to a collapse of the entire banking system. Maybe, if VISA, HSBC, Morgan Stanley move to Italy, it will shore them up.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    RodCrosby said:

Gah, after I exited at a loss
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Good, I'm on her at 16/1.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 93,450
    GIN1138 said:

I thought Miss Soubry said on Question Time on Sunday that it's time to "move on" from the debate?
    Until article 50 is declared, it won't be moved on from.
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,420

John_M said:

surbiton said:

Bloomberg not leaving

In other words - companies considering their options when a country makes a big political and economic change.

Hardly fighting for places on the last boat to get away from broken racist Britain.

The narrative will come unstuck because no sensible company will actually be prepared to DO any of this stuff on the basis of this flimsy hand-flapping episode.
    You really think that some of these multinational companies won't move jobs out if it suits their business objectives to do so. Blindingly naïve.
  • Options
    DanSmithDanSmith Posts: 1,215
    Pulpstar said:

Both on a drift now !

If both are drifting, suggests Corbyn resigning and a proper leadership contest taking place is increasing in probability.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

MikeL said:

Good, I'm on her at 16/1.
    16/1? Pah is that all. Some PBers are on at 90/1
  • Options
    AndyJS said:
    How many are from Vatican City? Though Jezza doesn't need divine intervention to save his leadership! ;)
  • Options
    AndyJS said:
    Any from Vatican city or the British Antarctic Territory?
  • Options
    Alistair said:

RodCrosby said:

Gah, after I exited at a loss
    Keep well away from this one...

It's whipsaw all the way.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    IanB2 said:

AndyJS said:
    Surely the Tories can do better than that?
    I wonder how many are based in the Vatican?
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

The main sentiment that I got (and reported the anecdata here) was Indian doctors and filipino nurses saying "I had to jump though hoops and take exams to get work here, why shouldn't they?"

They are already finding that those folk who do not like Greeks or Portuguese like Asians even less.

Are there actually any more than a small percentage of sick people who give a stuff about where their physicians, surgeons, nurses come from? Aside from perhaps some language/communication issues (which alas do occur) how many patients have an issue?

As an aside, I note that at the Renal Unit at the RSCH all the medical staff that I have had dealings with have been white Brits. At the Brighton Eye Hospital aside from a couple of the nurses, none have been. The two establishments are on either side of the road, no more than 20 yards apart. Does the medical profession run some sort of apartheid in its specialities?
  • Options
    edited June 2016

John_M said:

surbiton said:

Bloomberg not leaving

I'd rather have a balanced narrative. It's bound to have an impact, as businesses don't like uncertainty. Post exit, there may be legal, regulatory or even commercial reasons why a company might need to relocate some, or all, of their operations to EU states.

Brexit will have Brexit related unemployment. Markets will be volatile. Based on the IMF report, we're highly likely to have a shallow recession (-.8%) next year. And so on. There has been a measurable increase in unacceptable racist and intimidatory behaviour. People are still upset and worried. There's no point in being in denial over it.

PB has been very unpleasant for at least the last fortnight. I thought we were doing very well today. I'm just appealing for a bit more civility and a bit less one-eyed posting. Except if I'm doing it, when it's naturally ok ;).
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,987
    edited June 2016
    surbiton said:

GIN1138 said:

surbiton said:

Oh, yes ! THe banking system was collapsing because they were watching their football team.
    Because berlusconi announced he was returning to politics to unseat Monti. Then changed his mind. Sort of. Monti hinting at entering electoral politics himself at the head of a new party. Lots of rumours about deals between the two of them, or alternatively that they will fight to the death. Since when it all got so complicated that even the Italians don't understand it. Nevertheless very little to do with Brexit.
  • Options

QFT
    Quantum Field Theory? Eh?
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    DanSmith said:

Pulpstar said:

Both on a drift now !

If both are drifting, suggests Corbyn resigning and a proper leadership contest taking place is increasing in probability.
    Of course he will take it to the members. Why wouldn't he?
  • Options
    DanSmith said:

Pulpstar said:

Both on a drift now !

People just guessing to be honest.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    AndyJS said:
    That should guarantee a good income when it comes to flogging votes at £3 a pop.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Seriously why are they bothering to challenge Jezza when he is just going to be re-elected by the membership and Unions again?

In the hope he sees the damage this fight will bring and backs down. They're calling his bluff it seems. They had better hope it is a bluff.
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807
    Who takes PMQs tomorrow? My guess is that Independent Labour (172) won't stage an official coup in the Commons because they'll want to see Official Labour (40) suffer. Constitutionally the SNP (56) have a case to declare they are the official Opposition unless and until the Labour rebels complete the revolt by appointing one of their own as leader in the Commons.

In any case, it's a rare Tuesday night indeed when one of four MPs (Robertson, Watson, Eagle, Corbyn) could theoretically be called to the dispatch box the following day.
  • Options

Are there actually any more than a small percentage of sick people who give a stuff about where their physicians, surgeons, nurses come from? Aside from perhaps some language/communication issues (which alas do occur) how many patients have an issue?

As an aside, I note that at the Renal Unit at the RSCH all the medical staff that I have had dealings with have been white Brits. At the Brighton Eye Hospital aside from a couple of the nurses, none have been. The two establishments are on either side of the road, no more than 20 yards apart. Does the medical profession run some sort of apartheid in its specialities?
    As long as their English comprehension is up to snuff, who gives a shit? I've only met one doctor who I couldn't understand, and who apparently couldn't understand me. That's not a bad record, considering the Welsh NHS is even more dependent on immigrants than the English.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Disraeli said:

AndyJS said:

To the Leavers this is equivalent to a collapse of the entire banking system. Maybe, if VISA, HSBC, Morgan Stanley move to Italy, it will shore them up.
    Your slavering *everything crossed* hope for British job losses is stomach churning.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

I hope Boris is reading
    With free movement?
    Yes. With some promises that we will revisit it in time, to see if it has worked, and the proviso that we have a sort of emergency brake. Not ideal, but there we are.

Incidentally, the News at Ten reports Gordon Brown is tomorrow coming out for this solution: EEA with emergency brake.

A consensus is forming. i think it could command 60% of the voters. We're out, but in the single market. The EU will also want this.

The EU army thing, today, by itself, renders all dreams of continued EU membership utterly inoperable.
    Unfortunately the country voted for Brexit with no free movement.

We must respect the will of the people, or Nigel Farage will become even more odious in his campaigning
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,228

surbiton said:

chestnut said:

surbiton said:

Stupid boy.
    This is what Sky said

Hundreds of British-based jobs at the credit card giant Visa COULD be forced to relocate to the Continent in the wake of last week's EU referendum.

http://news.sky.com/story/1718832/brexit-jobs-threat-at-credit-card-giant-visa
    Like "TSE could post his magnum opus AV thread tomorrow"....

*innocent face*
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,228

QFT
    Quantum Field Theory? Eh?
    Quote(d) for truth?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 49,129
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

I hope Boris is reading
    With free movement?
    Yes. With some promises that we will revisit it in time, to see if it has worked, and the proviso that we have a sort of emergency brake. Not ideal, but there we are.

Incidentally, the News at Ten reports Gordon Brown is tomorrow coming out for this solution: EEA with emergency brake.

A consensus is forming. i think it could command 60% of the voters. We're out, but in the single market. The EU will also want this.

The EU army thing, today, by itself, renders all dreams of continued EU membership utterly inoperable.
    I fear that this is being pushed because people think it will save the union with Scotland, but it won't be enough. We need EU + FoM reform.
  • Options
    Barry Gardiner used to be a Blairite at one time IIRC.
  • Options

surbiton said:

Disraeli said:

AndyJS said:

Your slavering *everything crossed* hope for British job losses is stomach churning.
    Fuck off. You guys brought the country to this.
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

Who takes PMQs tomorrow? My guess is that Independent Labour (172) won't stage an official coup in the Commons because they'll want to see Official Labour (40) suffer. Constitutionally the SNP (56) have a case to declare they are the official Opposition unless and until the Labour rebels complete the revolt by appointing one of their own as leader in the Commons.

In any case, it's a rare Tuesday night indeed when one of four MPs (Robertson, Watson, Eagle, Corbyn) could theoretically be called to the dispatch box the following day.

Tony Blair is available I hear.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

John_M said:

surbiton said:

Bloomberg not leaving

You really think that some of these multinational companies won't move jobs out if it suits their business objectives to do so. Blindingly naïve.
    Of course they will. Just like Ford moved out of Southampton (inside the EU) to Turkey (outside the EU).
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

I hope Boris is reading
    With free movement?

We must respect the will of the people, or Nigel Farage will become even more odious in his campaigning
    This is just a lie. They voted LEAVE. That's all we know, all we can know, unless you want to make windows into men's souls.

I'm fairly certain restricting immigration and free movement was mentioned occasionally.
  • Options

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

I hope Boris is reading
    With free movement?

I'm assuming that's sarcasm, right? Let's just ignore the 48% remainers, hmm? I have no idea how many Leavers think that controlled migration = 0 migration. Let's just be charitable, call them idiots and ignore them.
  • Options
    John_M said:

John_M said:

surbiton said:

Bloomberg not leaving

I'd rather have a balanced narrative. It's bound to have an impact, as businesses don't like uncertainty. Post exit, there may be legal, regulatory or even commercial reasons why a company might need to relocate some, or all, of their operations to EU states.

Brexit will have Brexit related unemployment. Markets will be volatile. Based on the IMF report, we're highly likely to have a shallow recession (-.8%) next year. And so on. There has been a measurable increase in unacceptable racist and intimidatory behaviour. People are still upset and worried. There's no point in being in denial over it.

PB has been very unpleasant for at least the last fortnight. I thought we were doing very well today. I'm just appealing for a bit more civility and a bit less one-eyed posting. Except if I'm doing it, when it's naturally ok ;).
    If the 'increase' in racist attacks is measurable, I'd like to see the measurement. I'd be surprised if you have verified year on year statistics, but go for it, I stand to be corrected.
  • Options
    To be honest most of my theoretical profit in the Labour leadership market comes from this one weird trick:

Lay: David Miliband 9.71 £98.72 £860.25
  • Options
    CornishBlueCornishBlue Posts: 840
    Sky News papers review has two of the most typical metro-liberal-luvies on "reviewing" the papers... how people like them can live in such a bubble, and even when they acknowledge the existence of that bubble they still are not able or willing to break through it.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 21,009

The country voted to exit the EU, but not the direction, means or duration of exit.
    We need a democratic process to figure this out, alongside a means of reassuring business and the people.

The political class are just scribbling ideas on bits of paper at present.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

surbiton said:

Disraeli said:

AndyJS said:

Fuck off. You guys brought the country to this.
    Yes. To a point where you lost and you're fervently hoping for big job losses.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 21,009

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

I hope Boris is reading
    With free movement?

I fear that this is being pushed because people think it will save the union with Scotland, but it won't be enough. We need EU + FoM reform.
    Exactly. And a process to get there.
  • Options

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

I hope Boris is reading
    With free movement?

The union with Scotland was already in rough shape - having voted Leave once, even if that is reversed, it's hard to see it not breaking from rUK. After all, what if we change our minds again?

A solution which is technically out but not that much different might well appeal to a majority of the electorate, the question is how many of the Leavers are hoping for a much more decisive break and how much trouble will they cause.

Feels like the Tories, by and large, think a deal can be reached on EEA and that a GE can even be avoided. If they avoid the latter, work toward the former, and the world doesn't come crashing down, they won't even need to ask the people again (the main problem with any continued Remain option).
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    edited June 2016

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

I hope Boris is reading
    With free movement?

No, we are leaving the EU.

EFTA+EEA is clearly gaining momentum and is an excellent short/medium term solution. Implementing a quota system similar to that of Liechtenstein would keep those wanting restrictions on immigration happy.
This discussion has been closed.