Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Those who say that the bookies got EURef wrong don’t unders

Comments

• Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,928
    Oh crap.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 21,097
    Things are a bit crap.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,517
    Pulpstar said:

Sterling lowering in value.

I see what you did there.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,925
    RodCrosby said:

Andrew Mitchell reckons 9 candidates will come forward...

Boris
    May
    Crabb
    Leadsom
    Hunt
    Morgan
    (Mordaunt?)

Who else!?

Adam Bolton is awful by the way, constantly screaming that we're heading for recession. I'm not saying the economy is stable, but he is really, really shouting high doom in a way I find somewhat irresponsible.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I see Osborne has sent in his reserves.

It looks like that with Crabb and Javid. I did wonder what Osborne was up to with his people at the weekend.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 115,864
    I'm so glad I backed Iceland to win this one
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    SeanT said:

Well they are one of the titans of European football.

Iceland.

ICELAND.

We're being beaten by a country that is basically a volcano surrounded by two million haddock. gg England.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,413
    dr_spyn said:

Goodness, Island ahead again.

Didn’t they win the Cod Wars, too?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 93,589
    Mortimer said:

RodCrosby said:

Crabb-Javid team first out of the traps...

Eh? Who is top of that ticket?

Not enough charisma between them IMO.
    I honestly don't recall anything Crabb has ever done, but he is fairly fresh at the top table, he might surprise.

I feel like the anyone but Boris crowd are going to mess up though.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 78,005

RodCrosby said:

Boris
    May
    Crabb
    Leadsom
    Hunt
    Morgan
    (Mordaunt?)

Who else!?

Adam Bolton is awful by the way, constantly screaming that we're heading for recession. I'm not saying the economy is stable, but he is really, really shouting high doom in a way I find somewhat irresponsible.
    If you the no he is bad, give stephen Nolan a listen on R5.
  • Options

RodCrosby said:

Adam Boulton is awful by the way, constantly screaming that we're heading for recession. I'm not saying the economy is stable, but he is really, really shouting high doom in a way I find somewhat irresponsible.
    Boulton is married to a Blairite and well connected to Labour albeit the Progress group.
  • Options

RodCrosby said:

Boris
    May
    Crabb
    Leadsom
    Hunt
    Morgan
    (Mordaunt?)

Who else!?

Well Sky's share price is down like almost everyone else. I hope the PL clubs haven't spent money they haven't received yet.

Liam Fox to add to the list?
  • Options
    LowlanderLowlander Posts: 941
    John_M said:

SeanT said:

Iceland.

ICELAND.

We're being beaten by a country that is basically a volcano surrounded by two million haddock. gg England.
    But on the plus side, it means you don't go out to France.
  • Options
    I've avoided the newspapers, social media and even pb today. Beautiful day in the garden. I am calm and serene. Or I was, until I started watching the footy.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Mortimer said:

RodCrosby said:

I honestly don't recall anything Crabb has ever done, but he is fairly fresh at the top table, he might surprise.

I feel like the anyone but Boris crowd are going to mess up though.
    A bit like the stop Trump mob?
  • Options
    John_M said:

I've avoided the newspapers, social media and even pb today. Beautiful day in the garden. I am calm and serene. Or I was, until I started watching the footy.

Good call.
  • Options
    There's a fake Laura Kuenssberg account tweeting that the PLP are going to put up Lord Mandelson as a candidate against Corbyn. IT IS A FAKE, DON'T FALL FOR IT
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 118,270
    John_M said:

SeanT said:

Iceland.

ICELAND.

It is in EFTA though and outside the EU so maybe we should let them win to give us a hearing?
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,063
    #rattled

Bring on Burgon... he'll score for sure
  • Options
    We're losing to dudley.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    This game reminds me of this other great England game...

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2010/jan/03/poultry-farmer-routs-england
  • Options
    Iceland fans: "Can we play you every week?"
  • Options
    If the MPs do not put at least one Bexiter in the final two, the Conservative party will split.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    I got the impression that Sajid Javid is lined up for top of the ticket.
  • Options
    Sterling is having a really bad week.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,657
    HYUFD said:

John_M said:

SeanT said:

Iceland.

ICELAND.

It is in EFTA though and outside the EU so maybe we should let them win to give us a hearing?
    The way we're playing we won't even get a herring....
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,163

There's a fake Laura Kuenssberg account tweeting that the PLP are going to put up Lord Mandelson as a candidate against Corbyn. IT IS A FAKE, DON'T FALL FOR IT

Biggest laugh I've had all day. Thank you. Talk about a stalking horse candidate.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited June 2016
    I've got two bets on this game, one on Iceland winning in any way, and another on England winning with 4 goals or more (regardless of the number of Icelandic goals). Both of them seemed like value before the game started.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    England - EuroExit X 2

And losing to a small frozen supermarket staff side.

Chortle :smile:
  • Options
    Andrew Neil @afneil
    Project Fear now wholly-owned subsidiary of pro-Remain media. Seem almost desperate for Leave to fail. Gloomy spin on everything. 12h
  • Options
    @henrymance:

Population of Iceland: 323,000
    Net immigration into UK last year: 333,000
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,928
    Lowlander said:

dr_spyn said:
    So while England are playing at Euro 2016, one part of Labour is doing a rally and another part of Labour is trying to publicise their plot?

They are so in touch with their voters.
    90% of whom are watching the football and couldn't give two shits about anything until tomorrow morning.
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,429
    Small, agile non EU team currently leading the EU member experts pick then
  • Options

@henrymance:

Population of Iceland: 323,000
    Net immigration into UK last year: 333,000

Should have gone to Iceland for 'em.
  • Options
    Palin says the US should leave the UN following Brexit and Putin's PR man congratulates British voters 'Dmitry Kiselyov claimed British voters overcame a succession of dirty tricks to free themselves from Brussels, with sanctions against Russia likely to weaken.'
    http://www.standard.co.uk/news/world/hillary-clinton-us-and-uk-special-relationship-will-remain-strong-despite-brexit-a3281486.html
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Rooney is just lamentable. He was pitiful against Slovakia, and he's the same now. Every other touch goes wrong.

Loks like the real seanT has escaped from the cupboard!
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

He might get the Osborne supporters amongst the MPs, so could make the final 2.
  • Options

This game reminds me of this other great England game...

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2010/jan/03/poultry-farmer-routs-england

Glenn McGrath once asked Eddo Brandes "why are you so f****** fat?" To which Brandes replied "everytime I f*** your wife she gives me a biscuit."
  • Options
    I like Heidi Allen, this is her talking about Boris

"It seemed v obvious this was about desire to be leader rather than putting country first"
  • Options
    Revenge for the cod wars. England will be left with a very big haddock.

We still haven't apologised for treating them as terrorists when their banks collapsed. Another thing the English can thank Gordon Brown for.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Cult alert in central London:

twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/747505048897347584?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Palin says the US should leave the UN following Brexit and Putin's PR man congratulates British voters 'Dmitry Kiselyov claimed British voters overcame a succession of dirty tricks to free themselves from Brussels, with sanctions against Russia likely to weaken.'
    http://www.standard.co.uk/news/world/hillary-clinton-us-and-uk-special-relationship-will-remain-strong-despite-brexit-a3281486.html

Sanctions against Russia will weaken because Germany & a bunch of Eastern European countries are no longer keen. Brexit truly isn't the root of all evil, or so I venture :).
  • Options

The 10 seconds it took me to work out that it was a fake were very enjoyable.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

I guess Corbyn has gone to his Safe Space.
  • Options
    Why are itv ever allowed to cover England games, our record is lamentable when they do..
  • Options

Why are itv ever allowed to cover England games, our record is lamentable when they do..

John Whittingdale wants ITV to get a free pass on big audience programming.

Blame the Tories.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

John_M said:

SeanT said:

Iceland.

ICELAND.

Regardless Iceland have been strong throughout this tournament showing you do not need to be in the EU to have a good football team, even if England underperform as usual
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,822
    Apparently the lib dems are going to campaign for us to rejoin the Euros if we lose to Iceland tonight, don't panic!
  • Options
    GravitationGravitation Posts: 281

Biggest laugh I've had all day. Thank you. Talk about a stalking horse candidate.
    A dark (Lord) horse?
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,595
    edited June 2016

Harold Macmillan was the most successful Housing Minister of the 20th.C in sheer numbers built http://www.conservativehome.com/thetorydiary/2013/10/how-macmillan-built-300000-houses-a-year.html.

I don't think governments then worried much about borrowing, they worried more about maintaining full employment. There was terror too of a large current account deficit.

We already had planning controls then; they were introduced in 1948.

As I understand it, he did so by massively relaxing building regulations, so we essentially built terrible quality houses and flats in the 50s and 60s, many of which we are currently knocking down.

The house building boom in the 30s, however, was mostly private-sector led, caused by interest rates of 2%. So we have houses which people still want to live in.

We need to encourage self-build: 10% of houses in UK, 60% in France and Germany, 80% in Austria. That's one way to ensure houses that at least one person wants to live in.

And we might even stop the under-40s being so pee'd off.
  • Options

Apparently the lib dems are going to campaign for us to rejoin the Euros if we lose to Iceland tonight, don't panic!

You realise there will be a petition if England do lose this?
  • Options
    CornishBlueCornishBlue Posts: 840
    SeanT said:

Pulpstar said:

It looks like that with Crabb and Javid. I did wonder what Osborne was up to with his people at the weekend.
    They haven't got a hope. It's going to be Boris or May, probably Boris, as the victorious LEAVERS will want someone from their side. Also, Boris very much wants the EEA/single market, almost-still-in-the-EU-but-not-quite solution, which most Tories favour. As the election comes before the triggering of A50, this is important.

The EEA (perhaps with some additional restrictions on free movement) option might also keep Scotland in the UK.

And the only people it would really p*ss off are Kippers.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,908
    Is Michael Gove in charge of advertising at the game?

Prominent adverts for Turkish Airlines around the pitch??
  • Options

Revenge for the cod wars. England will be left with a very big haddock.

We still haven't apologised for treating them as terrorists when their banks collapsed. Another thing the English can thank Gordon Brown for.

And nearly ruining the Cats Protection League!
  • Options

I think the last time England exited a knock-out stage of a tournament on ITV was in 1998. The BBC will look a little foolish for taking first pick in the quarters over this round if we do go out. At least they still have Wales.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

John_M said:

SeanT said:

Iceland.

ICELAND.

Regardless Iceland have been strong throughout this tournament showing you do not need to be in the EU to have a good football team, even if England underperform as usual
    You'd never have believed that from the commentary team.
  • Options
    Harris_TweedHarris_Tweed Posts: 1,328
    Any markets on Roy Hodgson for the shadow cabinet? PM?
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,822
    Lowlander said:

No need - sources are saying parliament is going to just veto the result
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 49,204
    TOPPING said:

Do they have big arrows indicating their flights to Heathrow?
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,096
    SeanT said:

Pulpstar said:

They haven't got a hope. It's going to be Boris or May, probably Boris, as the victorious LEAVERS will want someone from their side. Also, Boris very much wants the EEA/single market, almost-still-in-the-EU-but-not-quite solution, which most Tories favour. As the election comes before the triggering of A50, this is important.

I agree with you. I think both Boris and May favour the EEA model which I, and many other Remainers I've spoken with, are quite happy with. I'm feeling optimistic for the first time since about 1.30am on the 24th.

Two questions to anyone with the answer:

1) While the UK is in the EU, could the UK agree a free trade deal with India without the approval of the EU?

2) If the UK is in EFTA/EEA, could the UK agree a free trade deal with India without the approval of a) EFTA b) the EU?

If the answer is 1) No 2) Yes then I would be even more optimistic.
  • Options

Any markets on Roy Hodgson for the shadow cabinet? PM?

Chris Mason @ChrisMasonBBC
    And another...Sharon Hodgson

News Mutt ‏@NewsMutt 9m9 minutes ago Nottingham, England
    That's a bit unfair. At least call him Roy until the end of the match

• Options
    Iceland: In Cod We Trust
  • Options
    If we go in at half-time only one down it will be a result.
  • Options

SeanT said:

Pulpstar said:

The EEA (perhaps with some additional restrictions on free movement) option might also keep Scotland in the UK.

And the only people it would really p*ss off are Kippers.
    If they could get rid of Farage and replace him with an unthreatening provincial cultural conservative they could be a force. Latest polls have them around 20% and that's before people start to feel betrayed.
  • Options
    I've just realised, with the white stripe, the Iceland team are dressed like Sportacus. England are being beaten by a CBBC show.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Have we had any credible info from the EU8(?) foreign ministers meeting over the weekend? I daren't look in the newspapers as they're just full of self-serving shite at present (I don't expect that to change for at least a month).
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,908

TOPPING said:

Do they have big arrows indicating their flights to Heathrow?
    Buy one get 75,999,999 free.
  • Options
    This is much more than a premier league game that a usual international.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Will this be our most embarrassing defeat in a European tournament?

The euro with turnip head were bad.
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    Mortimer said:

RodCrosby said:

Who is the candidate the dodgy facial hair? Or the son of a bus driver?
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,511
    SeanT said:

Will this be our most embarrassing defeat in a European tournament?

Gemini.
  • Options
    Lowlander said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

John_M said:

SeanT said:

Iceland.

ICELAND.

You'd never have believed that from the commentary team.
    What commentary team, do you speak Icelandic? The ITV commentators wittering on about nothing much as always
  • Options
    Another mis-kick from Rooney.
  • Options
    CornishBlueCornishBlue Posts: 840
    SeanT said:
    Still the best £3 I've ever spent in my life!! :D

Will I get automatically another vote if there is another leadership election (soon)?
  • Options
    So weve already got usa putting us on fast track for a trade deal. Oz and Nz combining to agree a joint one with us, India giving up on a deal with EU after 10 years of frustration in favour of doing one with us and similar noises starting to emerge from Canada.

Didnt think this would start so quickly. How unloved is the EU?
  • Options
    Lowlander said:

Stop sprouting rubbish, for starters Iceland are not in the EU as I have already said
  • Options
    A genuine question.

Do English people get embarrassed by the commentaries on England games?
  • Options
    I suspect Roy is doing the classic Blairite thing of managing expectations. Whereas before 3-2 would have sounded disappointing now it looks a good score.

Remember Cameroon boys.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Lowlander said:

Stop sprouting rubbish, for starters Iceland are not in the EU as I have already said
    Aren’t Iceland in the EEA?
  • Options
    Lowlander said:

A genuine question.

Yes.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Well uncle Roy....what you gonna do...
  • Options
    John_M said:

HYUFD said:

Sanctions against Russia will weaken because Germany & a bunch of Eastern European countries are no longer keen. Brexit truly isn't the root of all evil, or so I venture :).
    Maybe but the Kremlin are certainly not displeased with the referendum result
  • Options
    John_M said:

Lowlander said:

A genuine question.

Yes.
    In that case, do you realise that people in Scotland (and presumably Wales and NI) would be a lot less likely to back "anyone but England" if it were not for the ridiculous commentaries they are forced to listen to?
  • Options

Well uncle Roy....what you gonna do...

Put Boris on.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 14,018

Wow, that would show incredible lack of self-awareness.

Even Osborne realised he wouldn't win the MPs or voters over without some charm on the top of the ticket.
  • Options
    Lowlander said:

A genuine question.

I feel envious of the other home nations for whom being at the tournament is a big thing. Tyldesley just over does his commentary.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,993
    Curse of ITV - when was the last time England won in a major tournament on ITV?
  • Options
    Lowlander said:

John_M said:

Lowlander said:

A genuine question.

Yes.
    In that case, do you realise that people in Scotland (and presumably Wales and NI) would be a lot less likely to back "anyone but England" if it were not for the ridiculous commentaries they are forced to listen to?
    In truth, it's yet another thing I can do little about, so I don't worry my pretty little head about it. I do turn the commentary off, just to save myself the pain.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Lowlander said:

A genuine question.

I feel envious of the other home nations for whom being at the tournament is a big thing. Tyldesley just over does his commentary.
    I have a theory that if England games had commentaries by Scots in Scotland, etc, then people in the other home nations would be much, much more favourable towards England.
  • Options
    frpenkridgefrpenkridge Posts: 670
    I see England have dropped Vardy and are now playing a long ball game.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,416
    edited June 2016
    Crabb now in to 3rd fav.

Fox drifting - starting to look like 4 horse race:

Boris and May; with Crabb and Leadsom as outsiders.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    SeanT said:

WTF is Rooney doing in that England team. Sub him.

Rooney's paid £330,000 a week and Iceland has a population of 330,000. I want Iceland to win.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Eskimos have 200 words for snow. English fans have 200 words for 'bad'.

Only 45 minutes to save the pound. Come on Roy!
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Lowlander said:

Aren’t Iceland in the EEA?
    We voted to leave the EU not the EEA!
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,777
    New Thread!
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 93,589
    MikeL said:

Crabb now in to 3rd fav.

Fox drifting - starting to look like 4 horse race:

Boris and May; with Crabb and Leadsom as outsiders.

Leadsom was distinctly unimpressive in the Wembly debate, workmanlike but robotic and outshone by Stuart and Johnson. Unless Crabb reveals some very interesting ideas and surprising charisma he's coming from nowhere to challenge the big hitters. I'm not sure May truly wants it enough to beat Boris.
  • Options
    Lowlander said:

tlg86 said:

Lowlander said:

A genuine question.

I have a theory that if England games had commentaries by Scots in Scotland, etc, then people in the other home nations would be much, much more favourable towards England.
    And yet, when I hear Gerry Armstrong doing a Northern Ireland game I really want them to win? Doesn't work with Robbie Savage and Wales, mind.
This discussion has been closed.