Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The first challenge for the BREXIT team – dealing with buye

Comments

• Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Starfall said:

The logical extension of this result is clearly that Scotland gets to decide on whether it wants independence and that there is much greater devolution of power within England to those areas that want it. London would be an obvious example. That must be what taking power back from the elite means in practice.

London getting more devolution would mean less money to poor places like Tyneside and Cornwall. No decent progressive can support that.
    As of today, Tyneside and Cornwall are not in my country. Their priorities are not my priorities. My priorities are not their priorities.

London has quite enough poverty to sort out. Let us look to our own needs first.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,686

rcs1000 said:

I'm just looking through the FTSE100 changes: the housebuilders have lost a quarter of their value (in Sterling), media companies and airlines 20%, and banks 15%. Oil companies, miners, Rolls Royce, and other non sterling earners (such as SAB Miller) are flat to up. (So down in USD, up in Sterling)

Do any of those drops strike you as particularly overdone?
    IAG sticks out to me. Fundamentally still very strong, with weak Sterling, BA could see a lot of additional incoming traffic from the transatlantic routes.
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,747
    AndyJS said:

I'd be interested to know why Remain underperformed expectations in Newham, Hounslow, Greenwich, Slough.

Non-EU Immigrants less Remain than expected? (See also Burnley)
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 24,015
    TGOHF said:

If anyone seriously voted for economic carnage because they were miffed at the phrasing of Obama's restatement of US policy, they needs their heads examining.

What carnage ?
    Mark Carnage, the guy who said we'll all be eating hay next week
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 59,022
    Anyone know whether any kind of Bill needs to go through Parliament, at some point, for actual Brexit?
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,358
    Lowlander said:

It is arguable that Corbyn has achieved a huge amount in a very short time. He's seen off Cameron, he's achieved his dream of Brexit and he's likely gotten a fresh election 4 years early.

Of course that doesn't mean the new election will go well for him. But on his record, he is doing a remarkable job.

Jezz has been very lucky with his enemies.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746

As a member of EFTA / EEA, how could we enact controls on migration, entirely of our own power (i.e. something that Norway could currently do)?

If the EU is insistent on no special deals and a quick timeline, we will likely be offered a menu of one item - Norway.

Can migration controls of some form be enacted in this case? emergency brakes for example?

We'd have a customised version of EFTA/EEA membership.

The EU will want to do a deal with the UK and put the uncertainty to rest. Politics will trump principle.

• Options
    AndyJS said:

We could be back to a Tory/LD coalition after an autumn election if the Tories lose a few seats and the LDs recover slightly.

LDs to block Brexit?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,515
    In other news, my friend's just given birth to a beautiful baby girl.

She isn't calling her Brexit for some reason. ;)

Life goes on.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,787
    AndyJS said:

We could be back to a Tory/LD coalition after an autumn election if the Tories lose a few seats and the LDs recover slightly.

Where would the LDs win back seats? Their old English and Welsh seats voted Leave, Scottish ones will presumably once again go SNP. So the few seats in London?
  • Options
    PAWPAW Posts: 1,074
    edited June 2016
    English carer for my mum - angry about leave because of the poor people in europe won't be able to work here. She lives in a 1 bedroom flat with 4 children. I didn't tell her but her EU coworker has a 2 bed flat with 1 child. Both rented with housing benefit.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

SkyNews
    French government spokesman says UK's decision to leave the European Union will not affect its bilateral immigration treaty with UK #EUref

Lol, so no migrant camps in Calais.
  • Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548
    felix said:

felix said:

rcs1000 said:

European stock exchanges - AEX (Amsterdam), DAX MDAX SDAX TECDAX (Frankfurt), CAC40 (Paris), BEL20 (Brussels), IBEX (Madrid), SMI SPI (Zurich).. have all lost more than the FTSE100 today

It's a bit more complicated than that; you need to look at constant currency changes. I.e. if you had a pound in the CAC and a pound in the FTSE, you gained back everything you lost in the Euro's appreciation versus Sterling.
    I know, and we have fallen by over 5% against almost every currency in the world today. But a fair bit of that is a correction to the pound getting pumped up overnight by traders who thought we were nailed on to remain.
    err - the £ was 1.40 to the euro last summer - the slide began pretty well as soon as the referendum was announced. I would not be sanguine we've reached the bottom today.
    Err - it was 1.23 in April. So What?
    If you can't spot it I can't be bothered to explain it. Enjoy your victory.
    And it was 1.14 in Aug 2013, and 1.24 in Aug 2014. Are you sure the 'slide' was just down to the referendum?
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,953
    Lowlander said:

It is arguable that Corbyn has achieved a huge amount in a very short time. He's seen off Cameron, he's achieved his dream of Brexit and he's likely gotten a fresh election 4 years early.

Of course that doesn't mean the new election will go well for him. But on his record, he is doing a remarkable job.

and they say the left talk straight and don't spin.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

chestnut said:

Anyone trying to understand why London is different must take account of the fact that nearly 40% of the population was born abroad.

I was born abroad and I voted LEAVE :)
    Redbridge was closer than expected, 46% Leave.
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807

If anyone seriously voted for economic carnage because they were miffed at the phrasing of Obama's restatement of US policy, they needs their heads examining.

Well quite.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Based on the PB.Com aggregation news network, there appears to be almost total silence from the usual EU talking heads. – I wonder if they had a backup plan for such an event?
  • Options
    Starfall said:

Jobabob said:

Starfall said:

The logical extension of this result is clearly that Scotland gets to decide on whether it wants independence and that there is much greater devolution of power within England to those areas that want it. London would be an obvious example. That must be what taking power back from the elite means in practice.

London getting more devolution would mean less money to poor places like Tyneside and Cornwall. No decent progressive can support that.
    Greater devolution means greater decision making power, not flooding it with more public money. Has to happen.
    Which powers?
    The powers to negotiate deals with trading partners, for starters.
  • Options

Life goes on.

Gisela?

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,070
    Mr. Jessop, congrats to your friend :)
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    kle4 said:

AndyJS said:

Where would the LDs win back seats? Their old English and Welsh seats voted Leave, Scottish ones will presumably once again go SNP. So the few seats in London?
    They'd only need to win a couple of extra seats: St Ives and Bath for example. Maybe NE Fife.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,950
    Just learning more about Article 50. Worth googling the term. Some interesting articles especially in the FT

The preferred sequence for the EU side is

1. UK immediately triggers Article 50
    2. The UK wraps up the exit terms: payments on multiyear projects, what to do about expats in Spain etc. Decided by QMV
    3. The UK leaves and reverts to WTO terms in the interim
    4. The UK and EU negotiate longer term arrangement by treaty and unanimity. Requires legislation in EU parliament and all 28 national parliaments. May take up to ten years to complete

The preferred sequence for the UK side is
    1. The UK and EU hammer out basic deal favourable to both parties
    2. The exit terms and the new arrangements are negotiated in parallel and come into force simultaneously
    3. Article 50 is unimportant.

A stalemate is likely if Britain delays triggering Article 50 and the EU refuses to pre-negotiate the longer term arrangement. In principle everything carries on as at present.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

LDs to block Brexit?
    Given their recovery will likely needs to be over a decade at least, perhaps their pitch should be to want to rejoin - it's too risky for Labour to try, but while the LDs have pitched under the pro-EU banner before, if things do go badly if they are already arguing to rejoin (even accepting we would pay through the nose and have to use the Euro etc, if they even let us rejoin) they might be better placed to pick up support.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503

As a member of EFTA / EEA, how could we enact controls on migration, entirely of our own power (i.e. something that Norway could currently do)?

If the EU is insistent on no special deals and a quick timeline, we will likely be offered a menu of one item - Norway.

Can migration controls of some form be enacted in this case? emergency brakes for example?

The EU will want to do a deal with the UK and put the uncertainty to rest. Politics will trump principle.

Let me caveat that by saying it's not going to be necessarily a great deal. We will have to give in certain areas. I'm currently looking at our actual trade with Europe, to see who we actually need to negotiate with beyond the obvious ones.

We should be confident that we can get a mutually beneficial deal with Germany without too much faffing about.
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

@MichaelLCrick: McDonnell tells me Labour would welcome a general Elelction this autumn and expects new PM to call one

I hope everyone got on this :)

Could Labour stand on a platform not to leave the EU, I wonder?
    Interesting idea. Would drastically redraw the political landscape in both directions.

Clever idea. But a successful one? I'm not so sure. If you chose a Tory-friendly ultra-moderate leader like Chuka it might just work. Become the europhile party of the centre, centre-right and centre-left. The Tories might struggle then to stand on a eurosceptic platform, because they'd need lots of working class eurosceptic voters, which don't like voting Tory.

Longshot? Certainly. But maybe not as mad as it sounds, especially as many Leavers are now openly saying they regret voting that way.
    Even if a longshot Labour must do it and save the country from its own mistake.
  • Options

Based on the PB.Com aggregation news network, there appears to be almost total silence from the usual EU talking heads. – I wonder if they had a backup plan for such an event?

I've been trying to get a hold of my German contact, but he's been a bit unresponsive today!
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

There is also silence from G Osborne. That could be significant.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,833

Starfall said:

As of today, Tyneside and Cornwall are not in my country. Their priorities are not my priorities. My priorities are not their priorities.

London has quite enough poverty to sort out. Let us look to our own needs first.
    So the UK should stop sending £8.5 billion NET to Brussels each year?
  • Options

Starfall said:

What about Norfolk ?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,080

What could it mean?
  • Options

He's accepted the referendum result (on twitter).
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Keiran Pedley
    Ipsos MORI | News | Statement from Ipsos MORI on the EU referendum result https://t.co/zetAP7Wtq0
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Just learning more about Article 50. Worth googling the term. Some interesting articles especially in the FT

2. The UK wraps up the exit terms: payments on multiyear projects, what to do about expats in Spain etc. Decided by QMV
    4. The UK and EU negotiate longer term arrangement by treaty and unanimity. Requires legislation in EU parliament and all 28 national parliaments. May take up to ten years to complete

2. The exit terms and the new arrangements are negotiated in parallel and come into force simultaneously

A stalemate is likely if Britain delays triggering Article 50 and the EU refuses to pre-negotiate the longer term arrangement. In principle everything carries on as at present.

Perhaps we can hold that position through a new GE and get a new HoC to debate the finer details.
  • Options
    ThrakThrak Posts: 494
    kle4 said:

AndyJS said:

Scope in the counties surrounding London, the right sort of liberal conservative mirrors places in Surrey, Herts etc

Elsewhere, Trump is a liar and a fraud, what sort of idiot could support his clown politics here?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,314
    PlatoSaid said:

SkyNews
    French government spokesman says UK's decision to leave the European Union will not affect its bilateral immigration treaty with UK #EUref

Ha! My mentioning the Treaty of Troyes at 4.31pm, this at 4.34pm....
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

kle4 said:

AndyJS said:

They'd only need to win a couple of extra seats: St Ives and Bath for example. Maybe NE Fife.
    I think quite a few people are nostalgic for the coalition right now.
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819

Let's hope so. I think it is in Remainer's interests to throw in their lot with those leavers happy with a result like that. The politics of it could well be why we don't get a favourable deal though, the EU can't give us too good an offer or it will be finished. I'm just not sure what they could offer on free movement though. Quotas?
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Lowlander said:

He's a bit like the Peter Sellers character in the film Being There.
  • Options

Lowlander said:

Jezz has been very lucky with his enemies.
    Yes I think there was something of a conflation of correlation and causation in Lowlander's post. But I suspect he is fully aware of that...
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 39,067
    Jobabob said:

rcs1000 said:

What economic shock?

FTSE100 now trading higher than it was in February when Cameron called the referendum.
    source Skynews 3.50pm

If you look at the FTSE 100, it's full of US dollar earners: Anglo American, Shell, BP, Rio Tinto, BHP, ARM etc. If the sterling goes down, it is entirely logical they go up.

A better barometer of the extent of the shock is to look at the performance of the banks (don 15% or so), or to look at the FTSE250.

Yep, we do most of our business in US$ so today has been pretty good news for us, at least in the short term.

Talking of brave tips – the second part of your "we will vote to Leave" was that we "will never actually leave the EU, because people will very soon regret it".

Standing by that too?

I added that bit on. I wouldn't actually stake money on it, but it would not surprise me. If things get bumpy in a few months this is not going to seem such a good idea and we will still be a member state. It might work for everyone if we quietly revoked our invocation of Article 50. However, it looks like the deal Cameron got has now been consigned to the rubbish bin so we'd be going back on the pre-deal terms, which means it's probably less likely than it might otherwise have been.

• Options
    Polish Ambassador on BBC: "We need the British"
  • Options

Life goes on.

Obladi Oblada
  • Options
    FF43 said:

I think we need to wait and see what happens once the German industrial unions and leaders sink their teeth into Merkel and Schäuble for ever letting it get this far and to force them into getting a deal done quickly, they will never want to lose the UK consumer market to Japanese, American and domestic suppliers.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

bit late now, when they should have told Merkel to do a deal, they kept stumm.

• Options
    What happened to MI5?
  • Options
    LowlanderLowlander Posts: 941
    PlatoSaid said:

Keiran Pedley
    Ipsos MORI | News | Statement from Ipsos MORI on the EU referendum result https://t.co/zetAP7Wtq0

Basically they're trying to claim they were right all along but where they were wrong it wasn't their fault.

The entire polling industry seems incapable of getting England right. The strange thing is they get Scotland pretty much spot on.
  • Options

No they don't. They wanted us, up to a point.
  • Options

Yes, well we were the main nation standing against EU integration, we took all the heat for it while Poland reaped the benefits while not standing in our corner. With friends like them who needs enemies?
  • Options

Let's hope so. I think it is in Remainer's interests to throw in their lot with those leavers happy with a result like that. The politics of it could well be why we don't get a favourable deal though, the EU can't give us too good an offer or it will be finished. I'm just not sure what they could offer on free movement though. Quotas?
    Clearly we will throw our lot in with that. People are already trying to work out a way that we get back into the single market pronto and there is no point cutting our noses off to spite our faces.
  • Options

I think the UK would have to make free movement a deal breaker.

This morning Mr Hannan seemed to be talking about standard immigration controls. We could refuse entry to undesirables/unskilled. No access to UK welfare, or voting rights. > Think work permits.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352

What happened to MI5?

Pens
  • Options
    So let's get this straight.

Cameron offered a referendum to placate his right-wing and win the 2015 general election. In return it bought him another 12 months of power and a place in the pantheon of Prime Minsters alongside Eden.

Good call.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,726

CD13 said:

Mr Observer,

"Congratulations by the way on calling the result."

Who needs the pollsters when you're around? Cheer up, things are never as dark as they seem. I'm sure a few Brexiteers woke up with a feeling of "What have we done?". After 41 years, that's natural.

The old gits remember how we got here and know the dangers are over-egged. Why else would a normally risk-averse demographic vote for change while the weedy kids are peeing themselves? That, and the fact that they've endured ongoing insults for years. It's the old white men that are the problem, remember?

I know it's going to be OK in the end. What worries me is whether what we end up with will be worth all the pain in the meantime. Thinking positively, if Boris, Gove etc do act imaginatively to make our democracy much more vibrant - more devolution, a change in voting system etc - then it will certainly be worth some pain. But I suspect that now they are in charge they will be very happy to keep things as they are. I hope I am wrong.

Boris? New voting system? More devolution?

Let me know what you are taking...I want some!
  • Options
    TudorRose said:

rcs1000 said:

TudorRose said:

IanB2 said:

maaarsh said:

Sandpit said:

Omnium said:

it's outrageous that the BBC (or anyone else) ran the Morgan Stanley story without (apparently) asking the firm.

It's almost as if certain areas of the media are trying to talk down the stock market so they can make a story out of it. Shocking.
    Not working, the FTSE is now down less than 2.5%. Even accounting for Forex the Spanish market has been harder hit than ours, which seems strange given what a strong position the EU is in to dictate terms to us, or so I am told.
    People will mull things over the weekend and I would expect the markets will test new lows at some point next week.

Meanwhile the Euro-markets have been hit at least as much, of course, because of the risk that Brexit leads to the disintegration of the whole EU project...
    Nice spot! Paris, Frankfurt and Brussels all down c.6% and Madrid down 10%. Even the FTSE allshare is only down 3%.
    If you rebase everything to include currency changes, we're not looking so hot.
    Fair point. Any thoughts on interest rates? I heard someone on R5 speculating on short/medium term rate rises, but I think it might just muddy the (already unclear) waters.
    That'll depend on whether inflation rises above target. If the pound cratered, inflation would rise.

One of the many issues facing us is that we're already on Planet Weird as far as the economy goes. Brexit just moves us along to Planet Bizarre. Liquidity isn't an issue, so there's that.
  • Options
    Lowlander said:

PlatoSaid said:

Keiran Pedley

Basically they're trying to claim they were right all along but where they were wrong it wasn't their fault.
    That happens to me a lot.

• Options
    John_M said:

TudorRose said:

rcs1000 said:

TudorRose said:

IanB2 said:

maaarsh said:

Sandpit said:

Omnium said:

it's outrageous that the BBC (or anyone else) ran the Morgan Stanley story without (apparently) asking the firm.

It's almost as if certain areas of the media are trying to talk down the stock market so they can make a story out of it. Shocking.
    Not working, the FTSE is now down less than 2.5%. Even accounting for Forex the Spanish market has been harder hit than ours, which seems strange given what a strong position the EU is in to dictate terms to us, or so I am told.
    People will mull things over the weekend and I would expect the markets will test new lows at some point next week.

Meanwhile the Euro-markets have been hit at least as much, of course, because of the risk that Brexit leads to the disintegration of the whole EU project...
    Nice spot! Paris, Frankfurt and Brussels all down c.6% and Madrid down 10%. Even the FTSE allshare is only down 3%.
    If you rebase everything to include currency changes, we're not looking so hot.
    Fair point. Any thoughts on interest rates? I heard someone on R5 speculating on short/medium term rate rises, but I think it might just muddy the (already unclear) waters.
    That'll depend on whether inflation rises above target. If the pound cratered, inflation would rise.

One of the many issues facing us is that we're already on Planet Weird as far as the economy goes. Brexit just moves us along to Planet Bizarre. Liquidity isn't an issue, so there's that.
    "Liquidity isn't an issue, so there's that."

Because we can just print the stuff.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    FF43 said:

If you really want to read about this there are some very good articles on law firm websites. Camerons is very good (and I've never worked there).
  • Options
    kle4 said:

No, I think Poland needs us, we were, mostly, alone in fighting against integration and standing up for non-EMU interests. Without us fighting that unpopular battle and taking all the heat, they will have to do it alone and it won't be long before the rest the EU turns against them as they did to us.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Cameron offered a referendum to placate his right-wing and win the 2015 general election. In return it bought him another 12 months of power and a place in the pantheon of Prime Minsters alongside Eden.

Good call.

Yeah but it wasn't supposed to go like that... Wasn't a distraught Downing St, source quoted as saying "This wasn't supposed to happen" at 5am? ;)
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Good call.

Oh, this is worse than Suez. Maybe need to go back to the Irish Home rule crisis of late 19th and early 20th c?
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    BBC — Stephen Kinnock supporting no confidence motion.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    BBC: Steven Kinnock supports the vote of no confidence in Corbyn.

His mum and dad must be so pissed off....
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

kle4 said:

No, I think Poland needs us, we were, mostly, alone in fighting against integration and standing up for non-EMU interests. Without us fighting that unpopular battle and taking all the heat, they will have to do it alone and it won't be long before the rest the EU turns against them as they did to us.
    Then they should have been more supportive in convincing others to give us more.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

BBC — Stephen Kinnock supporting no confidence motion.

Poor Jezza carrying the can for the Kinnock family being booted off the gravy train? :(
  • Options
    Thrak said:

kle4 said:

AndyJS said:

Scope in the counties surrounding London, the right sort of liberal conservative mirrors places in Surrey, Herts etc

Elsewhere, Trump is a liar and a fraud, what sort of idiot could support his clown politics here?
    You'll find quite a few posters on this website. WTF!
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

Clearly we will throw our lot in with that. People are already trying to work out a way that we get back into the single market pronto and there is no point cutting our noses off to spite our faces.
    Absolutely right, if only Dave had said that from the beginning, we would have had a landslide leave vote, he'd still be PM and the EU could brush it off as a "British problem" rather than it destabilising the whole project while we have no leadership and no real contingency plan.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383

BBC: Steven Kinnock supports the vote of no confidence in Corbyn.

His mum and dad must be so pissed off....

So many gravy train passengers have hit the buffers.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Yes, well we were the main nation standing against EU integration, we took all the heat for it while Poland reaped the benefits while not standing in our corner. With friends like them who needs enemies?
    Poland didn't just get benefits. Losing a chunk of your educated working age population has negative effects.

• Options
    Jonathan said:

Good call.

If he'd backed LEAVE in February, he would still be PM...
  • Options
    Lowlander said:

PlatoSaid said:

Keiran Pedley

Are they talking about wives?

• Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,548
    kle4 said:

AndyJS said:

LDs to block Brexit?
    Given their recovery will likely needs to be over a decade at least, perhaps their pitch should be to want to rejoin - it's too risky for Labour to try, but while the LDs have pitched under the pro-EU banner before, if things do go badly if they are already arguing to rejoin (even accepting we would pay through the nose and have to use the Euro etc, if they even let us rejoin) they might be better placed to pick up support.
    there's a lot of discussion about this today - standing for the 48% in the way that the SNP stood for the 45% I suspect this is just the denial stage (and frankly, once you're out, and going back in on less favourable terms it's a different equation) but it looks like serious thought is being given. 1000 new Lib Dem members today apparently. Hoping a few are in my ward!
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited June 2016
    Jonathan said:

Good call.

It wasn't calling the referendum that did for him; it was the god awful renegotiation and his attempt to sell it.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Good call.

If he'd backed LEAVE in February, he would still be PM...
    He would also be a national hero....
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Poland didn't just get benefits. Losing a chunk of your educated working age population has negative effects.

They also have draconian anti-abortion laws. I thought the EU was about feminism?
  • Options
    FF43 said:

I think the first clue we're going to get is when Dave goes to Brussels next week. Let's see what the mood music is from the various leaders then.

It wouldn't surprise me if the sabre rattling continues for a while. As an outsider, I can't easily tell what the true power balance is between the idealists and the pragmatists.

For now, everything is exactly the same as it was yesterday. I'm much more worried about our current account deficit than anything related to the EU (market shenanigans aside).
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    kle4 said:

AndyJS said:

kle4 said:

AndyJS said:

kle4 said:

AndyJS said:

kle4 said:

AndyJS said:

None of them are Tim Farron
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    "Sources at Morgan Stanley tell BBC it's already begun process of moving 2,000 London based investment banking staff to Dublin or Frankfurt"

If they have already begun moving them, how come they don't know if they are sending them to Dublin or Frankfurt?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

kle4 said:

Then they should have been more supportive in convincing others to give us more.
    Agreed, but I don't think they were alone in underestimating the anger our working classes had wrt to EU immigration, and as the source of a lot of the immigration one wonders whether the Polish government didn't want to upset all their expats in the UK by agreeing to benefits restrictions or forcing them to pay in for a few years.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

They also have draconian anti-abortion laws. I thought the EU was about feminism?
    Constitutional ban on gay marriage too. GRS is allowed, so they get a C+.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Jonathan said:

Good call.

Yeah but it wasn't supposed to go like that... Wasn't a distraught Downing St, source quoted as saying "This wasn't supposed to happen" at 5am? ;)
    PMs - after a while they start believing their own bullshit. It always gets them in the end. Cameron was just quicker than most.
  • Options
    ThrakThrak Posts: 494
    Shocking vox pops from Hartlepool on radio 5. Leave voters blaming 'the immigrants ruining the nhs', 'I don't know why I voted leave' etc. To hell with the political correctness here, and I'm happy saying this as I'm from a similar background and know it well, but these people are thick, self destructive, intolerant. I escaped and I never want anything to do with them again; that they can spread that destruction nationally is a sick, sick joke. I don't want them pandered to, I want them to suffer. Not PC I know, but the nice comfy middle class here don't have to deal with them, just needing to use their ignorance from the other end of the country. Shame on you. Get out there and see what you have wrought.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 39,067
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

OllyT said:

How does it follow from the information given here that "many voted for LEAVE because they thought it wouldn’t happen"? I suspect most Leavers did the same as me: voted for the result they wanted, but expected others to lose their nerve in the booth. It just happens that the public as a whole is more staunch than we expected.

exactly.

I hope 'experts' will stop spouting crap and be a bit more humble. not holding my breath though
    You might be wise to wait to see whether they were right or not before tell;ing them to shut up.
    We had an "expert currency trader" on here, can't remember his name, who was adamant that Sterling would fall to parity levels with EUR and hit 1.05 with USD. Cicero of this parish also has given some outlandish views of market movements that didn't materialise today, yet he is still her trying to spread doom and gloom.

It will be a bumpy ride, but this nation has been through worse and we will come out stronger and with a better democracy for it. The centre of power has moved one step closer to voters for a very large number of issues and we're no longer under ECJ jurisdiction. That is worth whatever comes out way IMO.

And that is a very fair view. Hopefully, a majority will continue to see it that way too. We are, of course, still under the jurisdiction of the ECJ, though, and will be for several more years. If you get the EEA/EFTA deal you want we will be after that as well.

How do we make our democracy better?
    We wouldn't be under ECJ jurisdiction. We would instead be under the EFTA court and only for issues relating to trade, not anything else. The ECJ would no longer apply their worldview on our own and we would be able to judge ECHR rulings in our own courts again according to our laws, not the EU/ECJ's fundamental charter.

That was one of the biggest victories last night, we have reclaimed our own laws which suit our way of life.

The EFTA court applies ECJ case law.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486

What happened to MI5?

The one good thing to come out of this, conspiracy proven wrong.

• Options
    FluffyThoughtsFluffyThoughts Posts: 2,420
    Me,

Am I smug? Nah!

I am a proud Englishman that is happy to get my country - and all Subjects within - back under English-Law. Tomorrow may pour-down but today is nothing but sunshine, breathing fresh-air and celebrating the great sentiment that is freedom. *

* This view may not be shared by Scots born, Liverpool supporters whom claim to be 'true Yorkshiremen' because they are poncie-shoed solicitors....
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461

"Sources at Morgan Stanley tell BBC it's already begun process of moving 2,000 London based investment banking staff to Dublin or Frankfurt"

If they have already begun moving them, how come they don't know if they are sending them to Dublin or Frankfurt?

Thats awful. The last thing we need is less merchant bankers.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,726
    AndyJS said:

I'd be interested to know why Remain underperformed expectations in Newham, Hounslow, Greenwich, Slough.

My guess is that a) the class-dimension trumped the London-dimension and b) the difference between the BAME population and the white population wasn't as great as people had speculated
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Straws in the wind

@Louiseaileen70: BBG head:
    "GERMAN & FRENCH FOREIGN MINISTERS TO PRESENT PAPER TO COLLEAGUES FROM 6 FOUNDING EU MEMBERS ON SAT SUGGESTING A FLEXIBLE EU"

@RupertMyers: Many people would vote for and campaign for a new Labour leader to win a general election on a platform of keeping Britain in the EU.
  • Options
    Freggles said:

kle4 said:

AndyJS said:

kle4 said:

AndyJS said:

kle4 said:

AndyJS said:

kle4 said:

AndyJS said:

None of them are Tim Farron
    Of course not, why would the Defence Secretary pine for that? #obviousjoke
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    The fall in the pound will help

a) Increase exports and close the trade deficit, and

b) Increase inflation to the 2% target specified to the B of E by the Government
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,140
    edited June 2016
    Scott_P said:

Straws in the wind

"GERMAN & FRENCH FOREIGN MINISTERS TO PRESENT PAPER TO COLLEAGUES FROM 6 FOUNDING EU MEMBERS ON SAT SUGGESTING A FLEXIBLE EU"

@RupertMyers: Many people would vote for and campaign for a new Labour leader to win a general election on a platform of keeping Britain in the EU.

Not leaving after all? :p

Oh and I totally floated that second idea here on PB! ;)
  • Options
    Amazing that shadow cabinet ministers are hoping for a general election loss:

https://twitter.com/ChrisMcSh/status/746361629642792960
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Good call.

Oh, this is worse than Suez. Maybe need to go back to the Irish Home rule crisis of late 19th and early 20th c?
    FWIW, I don't think that's fair or indeed accurate. Suez was a cabinet level decision. While it signalled a step change in Britain's view of itself in the world, it was only a question of time and place: The 2 superpower world could only mean that.

The referendum is more a case of vox populi, vox dei. For better or worse.
  • Options
    Thrak said:

Shocking vox pops from Hartlepool on radio 5. Leave voters blaming 'the immigrants ruining the nhs', 'I don't know why I voted leave' etc. To hell with the political correctness here, and I'm happy saying this as I'm from a similar background and know it well, but these people are thick, self destructive, intolerant. I escaped and I never want anything to do with them again; that they can spread that destruction nationally is a sick, sick joke. I don't want them pandered to, I want them to suffer. Not PC I know, but the nice comfy middle class here don't have to deal with them, just needing to use their ignorance from the other end of the country. Shame on you. Get out there and see what you have wrought.

The "I don't know why I voted Leave" is becoming something of a meme, sadly.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Yes, but that's a different argument, Poland now looks very lonely as a nation against integration.
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662
    Freggles said:

What happened to MI5?

The one good thing to come out of this, conspiracy proven wrong.

Unless MI5s agenda was to get rid of Cameron!
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Straws in the wind

You mean to cocking tell me they can pull together such a proposal in a day, or else already had it in their back pockets?! We might have gone for that! But it's obviously too late to offer it to us now, even if there were so inclined. So others will reap the benefits.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Scott_P said:

They really, really wouldn't.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,140
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

Straws in the wind

You mean to cocking tell me they can pull together such a proposal in a day, or else already had it in their back pockets?! We might have gone for that! But it's obviously too late to offer it to us now, even if there were so inclined. So others will reap the benefits.
    Yeah, lol. You have to wonder how much of this is just winged.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Amazing that shadow cabinet ministers are hoping for a general election loss:

https://twitter.com/ChrisMcSh/status/746361629642792960

If that's what they think then Corbyn is obviously safe and they know they couldn't beat him.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Lennon said:

AndyJS said:

Non-EU Immigrants less Remain than expected? (See also Burnley)
    Newham had a lot of enthusiastic young people who have never been in politics joining the vote leave campaign. They fought a hard campaign there as apperently 200 people turned up at the campaign centre on the day! Asian people are not that in favour of remain also.
This discussion has been closed.