Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The first challenge for the BREXIT team – dealing with buye

15678911»

Comments

• Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503

hunchman said:

So the FTSE100 was up over the week that the UK left the EU. How many remain apologists predicted that? Put that in your pipe and smoke it remainers!

Funny isnt it.

However I would expect a sharp rise in share prices next week to counterbalance the devaluation last night.

O that poor Greece could have devalued
    If there's ever been a time to be grateful that we retained the pound, this is it. Hat tip to Gordon Brown. Ouch, it hurts to do that.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,980
    New thread!
  • Options
    John_M said:

hunchman said:

So the FTSE100 was up over the week that the UK left the EU. How many remain apologists predicted that? Put that in your pipe and smoke it remainers!

Funny isnt it.

However I would expect a sharp rise in share prices next week to counterbalance the devaluation last night.

O that poor Greece could have devalued
    If there's ever been a time to be grateful that we retained the pound, this is it. Hat tip to Gordon Brown. Ouch, it hurts to do that.
    Yes he wasnt all bad by any means
  • Options
    hunchmanhunchman Posts: 2,591
    The Forecasters Forecaster Martin Armstrong on the money again:

https://www.armstrongeconomics.com/international-news/europes-current-economy/the-british-pound-the-aftermath-of-brexit/

Look how his model pointed to the peak of the EU in 2004. Since then in the Euro they ripped up the Maastricht deficit criteria (remember that?), they ripped up the no bail out clause for Greece, couldn't get a budget signed off for goodness knows how many years......lets face it PB europhiliacs your EU wet dreams of ever closer union are in RUINS.

As I've said before, we've been round this racetrack before with the Roman Empire, Charlemagne, Napoleon and Hitler. Why anyone remotely expected a different outcome at the 5th time heaven only knows. Our incapacity as a human race to learn the lessons from history never ceases to amaze me.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited June 2016
    MaxPB said:

Thrak said:

MaxPB said:

Sean_F said:

I've just been looking at some details. The North voted more heavily to Leave than the South (excluding London) by 57% to 52%.

The Conservative-voting Stockbroker Belt around London, and down the M3 and M4 favoured Remain.

And just look at how many Labour heartland authorities voted to Leave, sometimes by huge margins; Sheffield, Wigan, Rotherham, Barnsley, South Tyneside, Luton, Sunderland, Birmingham, Middlesborough, Warrington, Wolverhampton, Doncaster, Sandwell, Wakefield, Kirklees, Durham, Mansfield (70%!), the South Wales Valleys. Places that have been voting Labour since the 1920's often.

I wouldn't be surprised if most Labour supporters outside Greater London and Scotland voted Leave. I suspect that while Conservatives favoured Leave more than Labour supporters, the differential was smaller than polls were showing. I think Labour Leave won this.

And, that goes to show how daft Blairite MPs are to wish to overthrow Corbyn on the one issue where he's closer to public opinion than they are.

I have been banging on for weeks that the notion that Labour was going to split 70:30 for Remain was bollocks. Certainly outside London, it was inconceivable.

The split of the Labour vote was always key. And Ias i confidently predicted, was where the polls were horribly wrong...
    I think with non-EU migrants the polls got it completely wrong as well. Loads of plaxes with Asian and African migrants/second generation have swung to Leave. Clearly we're all just xenophobic racists though.
    On the lower rungs of society the usual tactic is to divide and turn them against each other. It's the same here. Good immigrants vs Bad immigrants. Of course, it helps if you target those who have a vote rather than those who don't. It's deplorable, divide, divide, divide....
    Absolute rubbish. The EU creates divisions by blocking off migration from the rest of the world. That's why non-EU migrants swung for leave, my cousin, was denied a visa to work for a pharmaceutical company even though it was a high wage job that requires skills that he has. He has ended up applying for a similar job for a Swiss competitor. In what world is it right that we should deny entry to a highly skilled Indian migrant who will add to the economy and have unlimited migration for unskilled migrants who require a lot of state assistance in the form of tax credits, housing benefits and child tax credits?
    that's the UK governments choice! The EU didn't force them not to accept the visa application.

One of the idiotic things he Coalition did was massively cut student visas to try and reach their impossible target, choking off funding from universities.
This discussion has been closed.