Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The first challenge for the BREXIT team – dealing with buye

Comments

• Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662

AnneJGP said:

tyson said:

Jobabob said:

taffys said:

Son back from school with 'atmosphere of despair'. Not okay.

It is a bitter pill that Britain is very divided.

It's even more bitter that the solution is not obvious.

London is on its knees today. Workplaces are like mosques. People are shellshocked. Khan may have a chance here too negotiate some sort of deal with the EU that gives Gtr London a special status – although Lord knows what that looks like.

Scotland will probably leave the UK.

How your area repairs itself (assuming you are in Wales from your user name) I have no idea.

A sad, sad day.
    My wife's colleagues in London are in tears, as too is my wife. My sister said that her colleagues at school are just really terrified for the future. I've had so many emails from people who are just devastated....some Tories too.

London...that vibrant, wonderful, progressive, multi cultural, young, dynamic city...the election of Khan was a positive thing, and then this.

People in London voted to leave, as well, you know.
    Precious few in inner London.

You seem to want to ignore the fact that London decisively voted Remain and that large parts did so by a landslide. The getters have been overruled by the spenders.

The mood in London is one of open consternation: just how could so many little Englanders have been so stupid?
    Consternation? Just how could so many little Londoners have been so patronising?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,603

Vince Cable's been on Radio 5 saying that maybe the EU could find a way to incorporate controls on free movement into its principles and then let the British people vote again.

Stick it up your Juncker....not because of being for Remain or Leave....but I am not going through another 6 weeks of that BS.
    We wouldn't need to bother with the campaign next time. Just tell people what the new deal is and have the vote.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,782

just how could so many little Englanders have been so stupid?

The genuinely stupid, if they have a voice, need to be convinced by those who know better. Apparently Remain did not do a good enough job, and nor has the EU - most people only know it for the annoying things it does, and grandiose claims. Even if the media is part to blame for that, it and Remainers needed to do a better job. If someone doesn't use your services is it their fault they don't realise what a good thing for them that would be, or did you not sell yourself well enough?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,140
    AndyJS said:

Corbyn is a genius. He's only been in the job for a few months and he's already seen off his first Tory leader.

Careful, he may be out next week :p
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807

The logical extension of this result is clearly that Scotland gets to decide on whether it wants independence and that there is much greater devolution of power within England to those areas that want it. London would be an obvious example. That must be what taking power back from the elite means in practice.

Yes. Exactly this. Khan should make this the driving heart of his mayoralty.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

Mr. Felix, I don't think Gove wants the top job, and wouldn't vote for Boris [NB not a Conservative member, so I don't get a vote].

I notice you ignored my point - maybe Cameron got as good a deal as was available - we'll know soon enough. Believe me I'd love to be wrong.
  • Options

AnneJGP said:

tyson said:

Jobabob said:

taffys said:

London is on its knees today. Workplaces are like mosques. People are shellshocked. Khan may have a chance here too negotiate some sort of deal with the EU that gives Gtr London a special status – although Lord knows what that looks like.

How your area repairs itself (assuming you are in Wales from your user name) I have no idea.

A sad, sad day.
    My wife's colleagues in London are in tears, as too is my wife. My sister said that her colleagues at school are just really terrified for the future. I've had so many emails from people who are just devastated....some Tories too.

London...that vibrant, wonderful, progressive, multi cultural, young, dynamic city...the election of Khan was a positive thing, and then this.

You seem to want to ignore the fact that London decisively voted Remain and that large parts did so by a landslide. The getters have been overruled by the spenders.

The mood in London is one of open consternation: just how could so many little Englanders have been so stupid?
    Mr Meeks why not just accept that the decision has been taken and move on with your life? You will be a happier man and live longer the sooner you come to accept this change.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    It would be interesting to see someone map last night's results onto constituencies and see just how badly Labour would get thrashed standing on a pro-EU/pro immigration policy at an election three months from now.

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,726
    maaarsh said:

Sandpit said:

Omnium said:

it's outrageous that the BBC (or anyone else) ran the Morgan Stanley story without (apparently) asking the firm.

It's almost as if certain areas of the media are trying to talk down the stock market so they can make a story out of it. Shocking.
    Not working, the FTSE is now down less than 2.5%. Even accounting for Forex the Spanish market has been harder hit than ours, which seems strange given what a strong position the EU is in to dictate terms to us, or so I am told.
    People will mull things over the weekend and I would expect the markets will test new lows at some point next week.

Meanwhile the Euro-markets have been hit at least as much, of course, because of the risk that Brexit leads to the disintegration of the whole EU project...
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,354
    edited June 2016
    GIN1138 said:

AndyJS said:
    That was THE moment for me. And I know Miss Plato was the same.

Cameron stood there smiling while Barry threatened the very people who just a few months earlier had put him there.

And then they just carried on and on and on and on and on... With Project Fear.
    Well, we'll soon see if it was a threat or the harsh reality.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,455
    Deafbloke said:

rcs1000 said:

What economic shock?

FTSE100 now trading higher than it was in February when Cameron called the referendum.
    source Skynews 3.50pm

If you look at the FTSE 100, it's full of US dollar earners: Anglo American, Shell, BP, Rio Tinto, BHP, ARM etc. If the sterling goes down, it is entirely logical they go up.

A better barometer of the extent of the shock is to look at the performance of the banks (don 15% or so), or to look at the FTSE250.

True, but do you really think it is a harbinger of recession?
    I think it's very simple. If the UK and the EU come to a rapidly agreed Heads of Terms for Brexit, even if the fine print takes a lot longer, then we'll see a quite limited impact on the economy.

The risk is that we don't have a rapid agreement, in which case we do have a very vulnerable economy given our extremely high current account deficit. At more than 5% of GDP, it's by far the worst of any developed country. If we're not seen a safe have, we'll need to see a fair amount of sterling depreciation to attract capital.

Now, there are those who say "but that's good for exporters", and there's some truth in that. But your electricity, your car, and many other things you need on a day to day basis need to be imported. If people cut back other expenditure to deal with more expensive essentials, then yes, a recession is entirely possible.

It's also worth remembering that the banks are very exposed to the UK property market. We need a house price correction. We don't need a house price crash, which would send savings rates soaring, and leave millions in negative equity. While the risk is only modest, currently, it is worth remembering that there's a lot of new building going on, especially in London. If there are dramatically fewer immigrants, less demand from overseas buyers, then this could lead to very serious rebalancing. I would not be surprised to see prime London property move 50% in real terms in the next five years. (Less that the 60% drop Hong Kong saw from peak to trough.)
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,314
    GIN1138 said:

AndyJS said:

Cameron stood there smiling while Barry threatened the very people who just a few months earlier had put him there.

Six words had a huge consequence on this Referendum. "Back of the queue" and "Little Englander". Both crass, both guaranteed to wind up those leaning towards Leave.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 24,015

GIN1138 said:

AndyJS said:

Six words had a huge consequence on this Referendum. "Back of the queue" and "Little Englander". Both crass, both guaranteed to wind up those leaning towards Leave.
    It was Obama wot won it.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,068
    Mr. Felix, that wasn't intentional.

If that was the best deal possibly available, then it reassures me that Leaving is the right decision.
  • Options
    StarfallStarfall Posts: 78

I'm listening to R5L

I guess people who say: "there might be some hard times on the way, but it's worth it," are rather well insulated from those hard times.

I generally find the people who most worry about losing out are the most privileged.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

European stock exchanges - AEX (Amsterdam), DAX MDAX SDAX TECDAX (Frankfurt), CAC40 (Paris), BEL20 (Brussels), IBEX (Madrid), SMI SPI (Zurich).. have all lost more than the FTSE100 today

It's a bit more complicated than that; you need to look at constant currency changes. I.e. if you had a pound in the CAC and a pound in the FTSE, you gained back everything you lost in the Euro's appreciation versus Sterling.
    I know, and we have fallen by over 5% against almost every currency in the world today. But a fair bit of that is a correction to the pound getting pumped up overnight by traders who thought we were nailed on to remain.
    err - the £ was 1.40 to the euro last summer - the slide began pretty well as soon as the referendum was announced. I would not be sanguine we've reached the bottom today.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,782
    Pulpstar said:

Apologies for dirtying the site with a 38 degrees petition but I have a Jezza betslip to save:

https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/a-vote-of-confidence-in-jeremy-corbyn-after-brexit

I guess you don't want too much text explaining your petition, but I feel I need more information than that, 38degrees user.
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806

That BBC tweet appears to be both bad journalism and recklessly irresponsible.

Faisal Islam has also not covered himself in glory (particularly over the Warsi business). Shame there aren't more journalists of Andrew Neil's calibre.

A bit basic for most PBers, but I wrote a concise summary of what happened and may happen next (trying to be objective) on my blog:
    http://thaddeusthesixth.blogspot.co.uk/2016/06/the-uk-has-voted-to-leave-eu.html

I'm not going to post about politics regularly, but this is a pretty momentous day.

Faisal Islam certainly did not cover himself in glory - invented the WW3 lie.

• Options
    IanB2 said:

maaarsh said:

Sandpit said:

Omnium said:

it's outrageous that the BBC (or anyone else) ran the Morgan Stanley story without (apparently) asking the firm.

It's almost as if certain areas of the media are trying to talk down the stock market so they can make a story out of it. Shocking.
    Not working, the FTSE is now down less than 2.5%. Even accounting for Forex the Spanish market has been harder hit than ours, which seems strange given what a strong position the EU is in to dictate terms to us, or so I am told.
    People will mull things over the weekend and I would expect the markets will test new lows at some point next week.

Meanwhile the Euro-markets have been hit at least as much, of course, because of the risk that Brexit leads to the disintegration of the whole EU project...
    Nice spot! Paris, Frankfurt and Brussels all down c.6% and Madrid down 10%. Even the FTSE allshare is only down 3%.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

European stock exchanges - AEX (Amsterdam), DAX MDAX SDAX TECDAX (Frankfurt), CAC40 (Paris), BEL20 (Brussels), IBEX (Madrid), SMI SPI (Zurich).. have all lost more than the FTSE100 today

It's a bit more complicated than that; you need to look at constant currency changes. I.e. if you had a pound in the CAC and a pound in the FTSE, you gained back everything you lost in the Euro's appreciation versus Sterling.
    I know, and we have fallen by over 5% against almost every currency in the world today. But a fair bit of that is a correction to the pound getting pumped up overnight by traders who thought we were nailed on to remain.
    I'm just looking through the FTSE100 changes: the housebuilders have lost a quarter of their value (in Sterling), media companies and airlines 20%, and banks 15%. Oil companies, miners, Rolls Royce, and other non sterling earners (such as SAB Miller) are flat to up. (So down in USD, up in Sterling)
  • Options
    A question for all. Was the decision by Cameron to diverge from the Harold Wilson approach to referendums and become the front man :-
    a) What lost the referendum because it partly became a vote on himself and
    b) Made his resignation inevitable if the vote was to LEAVE?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,505
    edited June 2016

GIN1138 said:

AndyJS said:

Yet both were correct in many ways.

Some leavers just wanted to get wound up by *anything* remainers said. In the end this trait (e.g. sadly by Plato) contributed to me voting remain.

Sad.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Jason said:

kle4 said:

Jason said:

If this doesn't sum up the mentality of the Remainers (or some of them), then nothing does -

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/131215

Astonishing. If Remain had won today, I would have been gutted. However, I would have ACCEPTED it. These nutters do not even want a democracy, let alone public referenda.

The 75% turnout rule would be ridiculous, far too high a bar, but the other bit isn't a bad idea (nice it is 'if remain or leave'). No justification for backdating a rule like that though. Might not be a bad idea to bring in for future though - so if we do try to rejoin, then leave, then rejoin again or whatever, that we're really sure this time.
    What if the next referendum is below 60%? And the one after that? Come on. You either believe in a democratic process or you don't. A majority is a majority, unequivocally, even by just one vote. I believe in that, the losing side obviously don't.

What I find most heartening is that despite the very many attempts to subvert the democratic process - we voted Leave.

£9m tax payers money on an incredibly biased leaflet, giving concessions on HMG legislation for Remain union campaigning, breaking purdah, allowing Remain to campaign for weeks before the Electoral Commission picked an official Leave team - and on and on and on.
    I don't feel at all heartened but I can understand why leavers might be pleased they have just defeated a) the government, b) the establishment and c) a room full of crack secret service operatives each armed with the very latest state-of-the-art india rubber...
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,385
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:

@MichaelLCrick: McDonnell tells me Labour would welcome a general Elelction this autumn and expects new PM to call one

I hope everyone got on this :)

Could Labour stand on a platform not to leave the EU, I wonder?
    Interesting idea. Would drastically redraw the political landscape in both directions.
  • Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548
    felix said:

rcs1000 said:

err - the £ was 1.40 to the euro last summer - the slide began pretty well as soon as the referendum was announced. I would not be sanguine we've reached the bottom today.
    Err - it was 1.23 in April. So What?
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 39,065
    CD13 said:

Mr Observer,

"Congratulations by the way on calling the result."

Who needs the pollsters when you're around? Cheer up, things are never as dark as they seem. I'm sure a few Brexiteers woke up with a feeling of "What have we done?". After 41 years, that's natural.

The old gits remember how we got here and know the dangers are over-egged. Why else would a normally risk-averse demographic vote for change while the weedy kids are peeing themselves? That, and the fact that they've endured ongoing insults for years. It's the old white men that are the problem, remember?

I know it's going to be OK in the end. What worries me is whether what we end up with will be worth all the pain in the meantime. Thinking positively, if Boris, Gove etc do act imaginatively to make our democracy much more vibrant - more devolution, a change in voting system etc - then it will certainly be worth some pain. But I suspect that now they are in charge they will be very happy to keep things as they are. I hope I am wrong.

• Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,951
    rcs1000 said:

Deafbloke said:

rcs1000 said:

What economic shock?

FTSE100 now trading higher than it was in February when Cameron called the referendum.
    source Skynews 3.50pm

If you look at the FTSE 100, it's full of US dollar earners: Anglo American, Shell, BP, Rio Tinto, BHP, ARM etc. If the sterling goes down, it is entirely logical they go up.

A better barometer of the extent of the shock is to look at the performance of the banks (don 15% or so), or to look at the FTSE250.

True, but do you really think it is a harbinger of recession?
    I think it's very simple. If the UK and the EU come to a rapidly agreed Heads of Terms for Brexit, even if the fine print takes a lot longer, then we'll see a quite limited impact on the economy.

The risk is that we don't have a rapid agreement, in which case we do have a very vulnerable economy given our extremely high current account deficit. At more than 5% of GDP, it's by far the worst of any developed country. If we're not seen a safe have, we'll need to see a fair amount of sterling depreciation to attract capital.

Now, there are those who say "but that's good for exporters", and there's some truth in that. But your electricity, your car, and many other things you need on a day to day basis need to be imported. If people cut back other expenditure to deal with more expensive essentials, then yes, a recession is entirely possible.

It's also worth remembering that the banks are very exposed to the UK property market. We need a house price correction. We don't need a house price crash, which would send savings rates soaring, and leave millions in negative equity. While the risk is only modest, currently, it is worth remembering that there's a lot of new building going on, especially in London. If there are dramatically fewer immigrants, less demand from overseas buyers, then this could lead to very serious rebalancing. I would not be surprised to see prime London property move 50% in real terms in the next five years. (Less that the 60% drop Hong Kong saw from peak to trough.)
    British politics is totally fecked right now. Westminster has never been in a weaker position to take on more responsibility. That needs to be sorted out as a matter of urgency.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746

AndyJS said:
    That completely torpedoed Saint Obama....then they went with Little Englander i.e. you thick racist...brilliant.
    It is odd. Professional politicians, opinion forming columnists, you'd think their attempts to persuade others would be almost anything but insulting them. It's almost as if they're all bigoted muppets, but that can't be.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

maaarsh said:

Sandpit said:

Omnium said:

Correct - and this is not likely to encourage our European friends to be generous in the negotiations to come.
  • Options
    TudorRose said:

IanB2 said:

maaarsh said:

Sandpit said:

Omnium said:

Nice spot! Paris, Frankfurt and Brussels all down c.6% and Madrid down 10%. Even the FTSE allshare is only down 3%.
    If you rebase everything to include currency changes, we're not looking so hot.
  • Options
    Is there any data on how the surviving voters from the 75 referendum split? It'd be interesting to see how many of them appear to regret their decision last time.
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,548

GIN1138 said:

AndyJS said:

I think you are absolutely correct. It was noticeable that once Cameron took a step back and allowed a slightly less useless Labour-led message to come to the fore, the momentum turned. Remember leave looked like they were walking it a week last Wednesday.
  • Options

The logical extension of this result is clearly that Scotland gets to decide on whether it wants independence and that there is much greater devolution of power within England to those areas that want it. London would be an obvious example. That must be what taking power back from the elite means in practice.

London getting more devolution would mean less money to poor places like Tyneside and Cornwall. No decent progressive can support that.
  • Options

Mr. Felix, that wasn't intentional.

If that was the best deal possibly available, then it reassures me that Leaving is the right decision.

So presumably you will be incandescent if things now get worse.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,358
    The mood around Silicon Thames Valley is sepulchral. This vote has knocked the stuffing out of everyone. I don't think Britain will be destroyed by an economic maelstrom (though it might); rather it will be the slow, gnawing retreat into mediocrity and insignificance that will do for us. Dark days. That Leavers are now looking to Donald Trump, of all people, to be their savour merely compounds my gloom.
  • Options
    RealBritainRealBritain Posts: 255

There'll be a push past devolution towards some form of autonomy for London, I think, as the economic stakes, in terms of its european economic interest and relationships, gradually become clear.
  • Options
    Lolz

24 hours to save the opinion polling industry #EURefReturns https://t.co/ei2VGZ9uVn
  • Options
    Starfall said:

murali_s said:

AnneJGP said:

tyson said:

Jobabob said:

taffys said:

A sad, sad day.

Pretty much sums the mood in London (here at work anyway) - A very very sad day which we will regret further down the line (I have no doubt of that!).
    The inability of our side to engage in argument, preferring to look down our noses at the provincials, is what has caused us to lose. Not just over the last two months but the last two decades. I am upset we have lost, but the ugly attitudes from my fellow Remainers makes me ashamed to be associated with them.
    Much truth in that. A pity that so many REMAINers prefer to smear and chuck abuse at LEAVErs.
  • Options

John_N4 said:

Vince Cable's been on Radio 5 saying that maybe the EU could find a way to incorporate controls on free movement into its principles and then let the British people vote again.

Well at least he's trying to say something sensible.
    Agreed. It seems impossible, but that solution would be more likely to satisfy the majority than EEA/EFTA.
    No. We've got to get out of political union.

• Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312
    murali_s said:

AnneJGP said:

tyson said:

Jobabob said:

taffys said:

A sad, sad day.

Pretty much sums the mood in London (here at work anyway) - A very very sad day which we will regret further down the line (I have no doubt of that!).
    You just have to be back office
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

@MichaelLCrick: McDonnell tells me Labour would welcome a general Elelction this autumn and expects new PM to call one

Interesting idea. Would drastically redraw the political landscape in both directions.
    Seriously, don't do it. A Labour manifesto committed to fighting for return to the EU would be blasted to smithereens across the North.
  • Options

John_N4 said:

Agreed. It seems impossible, but that solution would be more likely to satisfy the majority than EEA/EFTA.

EEA/EFTA isn't political union, unless you believe Switzerland is part of the political union.
  • Options

felix said:

rcs1000 said:

Err - it was 1.23 in April. So What?
    If you can't spot it I can't be bothered to explain it. Enjoy your victory.
  • Options

Just how were the hyperintelligensia in London unable to convince all the stupid people?
    They thought they had!
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Corbyn is a genius. He's only been in the job for a few months and he's already seen off his first Tory leader.

You could be right. If he sees off this Leadership threat he can use the method of attack as a justification to release a deselection process to remove the blairites.
  • Options

A question for all. Was the decision by Cameron to diverge from the Harold Wilson approach to referendums and become the front man :-

I think it was to do with timing. He rushed the negotiation and accepted a deal that would be hard to sell (too hard as it turned out). He could have taken another year and used the time to use the levers of government to establish a more conducive environment for a remain vote. I still don't understand why he rushed it. It didn't help that he kept insisting that he would remain PM whilst demanding that the leave campaign say what post-Brexit policy would be.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

What economic shock?

source Skynews 3.50pm

Yep, we do most of our business in US$ so today has been pretty good news for us, at least in the short term.
  • Options

AnneJGP said:

They've made their bed, they're going to have to lie on it.

Sadly, so are the rest of us.

I mean no disrespect, Alastair, but the boot is rather on the other foot. The cover has been taken off the bed that the powerful made for the weak in our society to lie on - and released a swarm of biting insects.

As far as I can see the powerful are still in charge. And one extremely privileged man is likely to be replaced as PM by another extremely privileged man. Political parties will still be able to govern on 37% of the vote and will still be able to ignore the wishes, needs and aspirations of many of those who voted to Leave. So what exactly has changed, except that we are gong to get a regime change within the establishment?

I agree - very early on in the BBC broadcast last night there was IDS crowing that "unusually" in this referendum every vote counts and none are wasted - and I was left thinking at the shamelessness of it since he and his colleagues are responsible for so many votes being rendered worthless in every other UK national election..
  • Options

Starfall said:

murali_s said:

AnneJGP said:

tyson said:

Jobabob said:

taffys said:

A sad, sad day.

The inability of our side to engage in argument, preferring to look down our noses at the provincials, is what has caused us to lose. Not just over the last two months but the last two decades. I am upset we have lost, but the ugly attitudes from my fellow Remainers makes me ashamed to be associated with them.
    Much truth in that. A pity that so many REMAINers prefer to smear and chuck abuse at LEAVErs.
    Oh the irony - I think I've seen everything on here now.
  • Options
    Mr. Felix, think we might be talking at cross purposes.

The deal Cameron got was worthless. If that was the very best the EU would offer us, with the risk we might leave, however unlikely that looked, it shows either contempt for the UK, total inflexibility on the EU's part, or both.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    I'd be interested to know why Remain underperformed expectations in Newham, Hounslow, Greenwich, Slough.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,080

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

Ignoring the referendum and your voters in Sunderland, Rochdale and Grimsby? I don't think that's gonna fly somehow... ;)
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited June 2016
    rcs1000 said:

I'm just looking through the FTSE100 changes: the housebuilders have lost a quarter of their value (in Sterling), media companies and airlines 20%, and banks 15%. Oil companies, miners, Rolls Royce, and other non sterling earners (such as SAB Miller) are flat to up. (So down in USD, up in Sterling)

Do any of those drops strike you as particularly overdone?
  • Options
    Sam Bowman
    Controlling immigration was only 1/3 of Leave voters' (17% of total voters) biggest priority https://t.co/7neph7eyCZ https://t.co/zO7Kx0Mpj2
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

TudorRose said:

IanB2 said:

maaarsh said:

Sandpit said:

Omnium said:

If you rebase everything to include currency changes, we're not looking so hot.
    Fair point. Any thoughts on interest rates? I heard someone on R5 speculating on short/medium term rate rises, but I think it might just muddy the (already unclear) waters.
  • Options
    TudorRose said:

I think it was to do with timing. He rushed the negotiation and accepted a deal that would be hard to sell (too hard as it turned out). He could have taken another year and used the time to use the levers of government to establish a more conducive environment for a remain vote. I still don't understand why he rushed it. It didn't help that he kept insisting that he would remain PM whilst demanding that the leave campaign say what post-Brexit policy would be.
    But why did he think he was the right man to be the front man to a vote that needed a very large number of Labour and left leaning votes?
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,358
    edited June 2016
    Sounds like the French are calling for Le Touquet treaty to be scrapped. Weren't we assured this was merely part of Project Doom?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

John_N4 said:

EEA/EFTA isn't political union, unless you believe Switzerland is part of the political union.
    True. You may need to re-read this exchange.

• Options

Starfall said:

murali_s said:

AnneJGP said:

tyson said:

Jobabob said:

taffys said:

A sad, sad day.

But what else did they have? There was no effort to sell the positive case for the EU. Maybe they didn't believe it themselves. Sneering smart-arsery was so much easier.
  • Options
    John_N4 said:

Just how were the hyperintelligensia in London unable to convince all the stupid people?
    Because they are stupid themselves and haven't got a clue about in what way. They have no idea how ordinary people think. They have no grip on how this referendum was felt as RELEASE by most people who voted Leave. The "hyperintelligentsia" are just like Daily Mail readers but they munch on focaccia and read Adorno and Bourdieu.

I am so angry that I'd better leave here now for a while to plan my next move. The only good thing is that I made quite a lot of money betting on Leave to win, at an overall price of between 2.5 and 3.

Cheerio everyone. And don't leave more than £75K in any one account :)
    Surely that should be in any one financial institution
  • Options
    I voted Remain, as a big supporter of international co-operation, even though I was disillusioned with the campaign by the end. I would like to join the EU one day, but we need to be realistic that its at least twenty years away, if it ever happens. We have had a great exercise of democracy and that should be celebrated. In the mean time I reject the sour grapes and ugliness of my fellow Remainers. I instead will support policies that understand and address the concerns of Leavers, and to build a more progressive, successful and internationalist independent UK. I encourage my fellow travellers to do the same.
  • Options
    Starfall said:

London getting more devolution would mean less money to poor places like Tyneside and Cornwall. No decent progressive can support that.
    Greater devolution means greater decision making power, not flooding it with more public money. Has to happen.
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited June 2016
    A day to listen to
    Safe European Home -The Clash, for a blast of culture shock?
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

Omnium said:

Has anybody told them the referendum is over? Perhaps they are still in shock.
    Both the BBC and Sky are still trying to win it for Remain. It's most entertaining - and very obvious.
    Miss Plato, the seven(?) stages of grief. First comes denial, then anger and so on. This site is full of it today. The BBC and Sky are perhaps still at stage one as are some on here (though most of those grieving seem to have progressed to stage 2 very quickly).
    Llama man, I never thought we'd do it.

Cheers, I'll be opening a bottle tonight
    To be honest, Mr. Brookell sipping at it.

That's a fine effort. How far through it are you?

Got to say Mr O, commiserations since I know you were a strong remainer, but it's a fine weekend and a new departure for us all. Common sense will win through.

And down to earth.

I do agree with is pretty much what we have now?

No Mr O I have genuine sense of regret that we got here, while I am a Leaver it's not as if I think everything the EU has done is bad, it has many good points, but on balance for me the bad outweighs the good.

Like most I would have been happy with an outer core relationship with Europe, but Cameron said we couldn't have that and the Innercore were too inflexible in their demand for ever closer Union , so Leave it had to be.

That doesnt of course fix the many weaknesses this country face most of which you and I agree on - though we differ on how best to approach them - but if this forces our business and political elites to re-engage with their workforces and voters it will be a good start.

Completely agree. I guess for a lot of us it was a weighing of the factors rather than raw conviction. If Brexit does lead to a change of style and strategy inside UK businesses, plus a reinvigorated democracy, then it starts to become worthwhile.

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,140

Sounds like the French are calling for Le Touquet treaty to be scrapped. Weren't we assured this merely part of Project Doom?

The Mayor of Calais saying the French Government should renegotiate it.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited June 2016
    If anyone seriously voted for economic carnage because they were miffed at the phrasing of Obama's restatement of US policy, they needs their heads examining.
  • Options
    Anyone trying to understand why London is different must take account of the fact that nearly 40% of the population was born abroad.
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

Starfall said:

Greater devolution means greater decision making power, not flooding it with more public money. Has to happen.
    Which powers?
  • Options

CD13 said:

Mr Observer,

Who needs the pollsters when you're around? Cheer up, things are never as dark as they seem. I'm sure a few Brexiteers woke up with a feeling of "What have we done?". After 41 years, that's natural.

The old gits remember how we got here and know the dangers are over-egged. Why else would a normally risk-averse demographic vote for change while the weedy kids are peeing themselves? That, and the fact that they've endured ongoing insults for years. It's the old white men that are the problem, remember?

I know it's going to be OK in the end. What worries me is whether what we end up with will be worth all the pain in the meantime. Thinking positively, if Boris, Gove etc do act imaginatively to make our democracy much more vibrant - more devolution, a change in voting system etc - then it will certainly be worth some pain. But I suspect that now they are in charge they will be very happy to keep things as they are. I hope I am wrong.

Yes. I too want to congratulate you on tipping the result. An amazing call.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

If anyone seriously voted for economic carnage because they were miffed at the phrasing of Obama's restatement of US policy, they needs their heads examining.

What carnage ?
  • Options

Mr. Felix, think we might be talking at cross purposes.

The deal Cameron got was worthless. If that was the very best the EU would offer us, with the risk we might leave, however unlikely that looked, it shows either contempt for the UK, total inflexibility on the EU's part, or both.

And I get that - but I and presumably Leavers who will be negotiating Brexit are confident that we'll come out with something much better now - because if it is worse wtf was the point of it all? It may be me but you must surely admit now that your side has to have a plan?
  • Options
    Starfall said:

I voted Remain, as a big supporter of international co-operation, even though I was disillusioned with the campaign by the end. I would like to join the EU one day, but we need to be realistic that its at least twenty years away, if it ever happens. We have had a great exercise of democracy and that should be celebrated. In the mean time I reject the sour grapes and ugliness of my fellow Remainers. I instead will support policies that understand and address the concerns of Leavers, and to build a more progressive, successful and internationalist independent UK. I encourage my fellow travellers to do the same.

Well done you. We now have to pull together, and use our full national resource to do the best for all in this country.
  • Options

And vice versa. I copped a lot and I was going to vote leave. Yet because I had the temerity to challenge leavers when they were factually wrong (e.g. on the claim that the EU had not helped the mobile phone industry) they chucked abuse at me. (*)

(sighs)

Right. That's out my system. Reading this thread, it seems some leavers and remainers are wanting to refight the old battles.

Perhaps we should leave that in the past. We need to move on and work with this decision. Britain can be a greater, more inclusive and happier place. Remainers need to live with the disappointment and leavers need to be magnanimous to the sixteen million people who disagreed. Both sides need each other.

If anyone from the other side gets on your wick, just ignore them. I hope I can ... ;)

(*) Or perhaps it was just because it was me ...
  • Options
    Starfall said:

I'm listening to R5L

I guess people who say: "there might be some hard times on the way, but it's worth it," are rather well insulated from those hard times.

I generally find the people who most worry about losing out are the most privileged.
    I don't.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

Anyone trying to understand why London is different must take account of the fact that nearly 40% of the population was born abroad.

What's Scotland's excuse?

• Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

Sounds like the French are calling for Le Touquet treaty to be scrapped. Weren't we assured this was merely part of Project Doom?

They are going to unilaterally withdraw ? A couple of days of produce rotting on lorries on the E15 would focus minds.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    New international Trade deals...

@SpiegelPeter: SCOOP: Following #Brexit vote, @DeutscheBoerse & @LSEplc on verge of calling off merger: https://t.co/tvpw0L9yCQ
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,278

Starfall said:

murali_s said:

AnneJGP said:

tyson said:

Jobabob said:

taffys said:

A sad, sad day.

But what else did they have? There was no effort to sell the positive case for the EU. Maybe they didn't believe it themselves. Sneering smart-arsery was so much easier.
    Quite. If no-one made the positive case for the EU, why did they think we'd vote for it?
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Sam Bowman
    Controlling immigration was only 1/3 of Leave voters' (17% of total voters) biggest priority https://t.co/7neph7eyCZ https://t.co/zO7Kx0Mpj2

Lol it does not require genius to see the link between priorities 1 and 2 on your link.
  • Options
    RealBritainRealBritain Posts: 255
    chestnut said:

Leavers often love to highlight this fact, but it's not the only key fact. The proportion of those that aren't is also more well-disposed to those that are, than in a number of areas of the rest of the country.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

John_N4 said:

It will be interesting how Switzerland resolve their free movement matter. Switzerland's Feb 2014 referendum to have annual quotas for immigrants, requires the Swiss government to implement a quota system within three years. (wikipedia)
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,833
    chestnut said:

I was born abroad and I voted LEAVE :)
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,951

Starfall said:

Well done you. We now have to pull together, and use our full national resource to do the best for all in this country.
    The first thing we have to do is fix broken Westminster. Brexit was sold on democracy. It would be good to introduce it.
  • Options

TudorRose said:

But why did he think he was the right man to be the front man to a vote that needed a very large number of Labour and left leaning votes?
    Because he knew he couldn't rely on Corbyn? Just a guess!
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,686

MaxPB said:

OllyT said:

How does it follow from the information given here that "many voted for LEAVE because they thought it wouldn’t happen"? I suspect most Leavers did the same as me: voted for the result they wanted, but expected others to lose their nerve in the booth. It just happens that the public as a whole is more staunch than we expected.

exactly.

I hope 'experts' will stop spouting crap and be a bit more humble. not holding my breath though
    You might be wise to wait to see whether they were right or not before tell;ing them to shut up.
    We had an "expert currency trader" on here, can't remember his name, who was adamant that Sterling would fall to parity levels with EUR and hit 1.05 with USD. Cicero of this parish also has given some outlandish views of market movements that didn't materialise today, yet he is still her trying to spread doom and gloom.

It will be a bumpy ride, but this nation has been through worse and we will come out stronger and with a better democracy for it. The centre of power has moved one step closer to voters for a very large number of issues and we're no longer under ECJ jurisdiction. That is worth whatever comes out way IMO.

And that is a very fair view. Hopefully, a majority will continue to see it that way too. We are, of course, still under the jurisdiction of the ECJ, though, and will be for several more years. If you get the EEA/EFTA deal you want we will be after that as well.

How do we make our democracy better?
    We wouldn't be under ECJ jurisdiction. We would instead be under the EFTA court and only for issues relating to trade, not anything else. The ECJ would no longer apply their worldview on our own and we would be able to judge ECHR rulings in our own courts again according to our laws, not the EU/ECJ's fundamental charter.

That was one of the biggest victories last night, we have reclaimed our own laws which suit our way of life.
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

CD13 said:

Mr Observer,

Cheers. It always seemed so obvious to me. The one annoying bit is that I got the turnout wrong, so I missed out on a few hundred extra pounds. But, to be honest, I'd rather have lost my entire stake, but I knew that was never on the cards.

• Options

chestnut said:

What's Scotland's excuse?

They already think they're abroad, they are just awaiting ratification. :smile:
  • Options

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

Clever idea. But a successful one? I'm not so sure. If you chose a Tory-friendly ultra-moderate leader like Chuka it might just work. Become the europhile party of the centre, centre-right and centre-left. The Tories might struggle then to stand on a eurosceptic platform, because they'd need lots of working class eurosceptic voters, which don't like voting Tory.

Longshot? Certainly. But maybe not as mad as it sounds, especially as many Leavers are now openly saying they regret voting that way.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Sounds like the French are calling for Le Touquet treaty to be scrapped. Weren't we assured this merely part of Project Doom?

The UK would have to sign off on any such change. If they want to renegotiate Le Touquet, we will look to linking it to the Treaty of Troyes.....
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    As a member of EFTA / EEA, how could we enact controls on migration, entirely of our own power (i.e. something that Norway could currently do)?

If the EU is insistent on no special deals and a quick timeline, we will likely be offered a menu of one item - Norway.

Can migration controls of some form be enacted in this case? emergency brakes for example?
  • Options
    LowlanderLowlander Posts: 941
    It is arguable that Corbyn has achieved a huge amount in a very short time. He's seen off Cameron, he's achieved his dream of Brexit and he's likely gotten a fresh election 4 years early.

Of course that doesn't mean the new election will go well for him. But on his record, he is doing a remarkable job.
  • Options
    RobD said:

That's interesting and it's hard to see how any renegotiation would not be to their benefit more than ours. After all, they hold the best cards and face the biggest immediate problem.

It'd be best if both sides left it well alone for the moment. The situation is complex enough as it is.
  • Options

Starfall said:

murali_s said:

AnneJGP said:

tyson said:

Jobabob said:

taffys said:

A sad, sad day.

The Labour Remain lady from Mr Geldoff's boat, ended up voting for Leave.

https://twitter.com/blp_1995/status/745977961908678656
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

What economic shock?

source Skynews 3.50pm

Yep, we do most of our business in US$ so today has been pretty good news for us, at least in the short term.

Talking of brave tips – the second part of your "we will vote to Leave" was that we "will never actually leave the EU, because people will very soon regret it".

Standing by that too?
  • Options

Jobabob said:

CD13 said:

Mr Observer,

Cheers. It always seemed so obvious to me. The one annoying bit is that I got the turnout wrong, so I missed out on a few hundred extra pounds. But, to be honest, I'd rather have lost my entire stake, but I knew that was never on the cards.

Yes, well done.
  • Options
    Bugger. Just deleted a reply to Mr. Jessop and Mr. Felix.

Both points were witty and charming, I can assure you.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited June 2016
    We could be back to a Tory/LD coalition after an autumn election if the Tories lose a few seats and the LDs recover slightly.
  • Options
    SkyNews
    French government spokesman says UK's decision to leave the European Union will not affect its bilateral immigration treaty with UK #EUref
  • Options
    Lowlander said:

It is arguable that Corbyn has achieved a huge amount in a very short time. He's seen off Cameron, he's achieved his dream of Brexit and he's likely gotten a fresh election 4 years early.

Of course that doesn't mean the new election will go well for him. But on his record, he is doing a remarkable job.

And he will lose a vote of confidence among his MPs on Monday.....
This discussion has been closed.