Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Boost for Farage in the Ipsos satisfaction ratings on the d

Comments

• Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    taffys said:

I'm sure British Airways have flown over multiple times too.

How dare they flout St. Jo's memory in this way? Shouldn;t all airlines be grounded, actually?

Wow! What did the British airways banner say?
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807
    Fenster said:

RodCrosby said:

Sky Reporter: everyone in Ashby (Leics) I spoke to is voting Leave.

It was the same when the BBC vox-popped people in Barnsley earlier.
    When, in my youth, I was employed by a company to conduct publicity voxpops I struggled to find any willing participant during the day who had a job. This was a severe challenge because I was supposed to come back with a mix of occupations. I hated doing them and found another job soon after. Getting a decent mix of ten voxpops during office hours often took several hours.
  • Options
    GravitationGravitation Posts: 281

Apparently Vote Leave have flown a plane over the Jo Cox memorial in Trafalgar Square

As in directly over or that it's just visible from Trafalgar square? Big difference.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,205

EU referendum poll:
    Remain: 44% (-)
    Leave: 45% (+1)
    (via Opinium, online / 20 - 22 Jun)

I think Leave would have accepted that 100 times out of 100 if offered it as the eve of poll position....

Horrible 36 hours ahead for Cameron. "It's a coin toss, Prime Minister...."
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,824
    Freggles said:

Fenster said:

RodCrosby said:

All the Remainers are at work. Strivers.
    I thought they were all at Glasto?
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

thank god this is over soon...

stellacreasy ‏@stellacreasy · 5m5 minutes ago
    .@voteleave flying your plane over the memorial tribute to Jo Cox in Trafalgar Square is beyond low. Have some self respect and disappear!

Nicholas Soames ‏@nsoamesmp · 4m
    @stellacreasy @voteleave what absolute shits

Rubbish, its flying down the Thames, I saw it near the Tower of London just after 4pm
    Obviously a case of mistaken identity by someone.

https://twitter.com/SkyHarriet/status/745640254636462080
    Like SeanT said Remain have been milking this killing, so..

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,038
    saddened said:

taffys said:

I'm sure British Airways have flown over multiple times too.

How dare they flout St. Jo's memory in this way? Shouldn;t all airlines be grounded, actually?

Wow! What did the British airways banner say?
    It flew the union jack..... enough for some councils:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3592466/Council-BANS-bin-lorry-emblazoned-Union-Flag-case-influences-EU-referendum.html
  • Options

EU referendum poll:

I think Leave would have accepted that 100 times out of 100 if offered it as the eve of poll position....

Lots of DKs in that sample.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,326

.@voteleave flying your plane over the memorial tribute to Jo Cox in Trafalgar Square is beyond low. Have some self respect and disappear!

Rubbish, its flying down the Thames, I saw it near the Tower of London just after 4pm

That is looking towards the Thames from Trafalgar Square. That being said, I suspect the pilot of the plane said something like "oooohhhh... there's a large crowd of people, let's fly near it"
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    Can we stop with the shroud waveing about the plane? Remain were doing exactly the same in Central London earlier today.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039

rcs1000 said:

Are they actually buzzing Nelsons Column or are they just flying generally over London?

I've seen it twice, I think it's just flying around town.
    Remains have totally lost the plot, do they think they own the skies over London as well as Trafalgar Square? Dear God above
    Of course they don't, but how hard is it to show some respect? Even if they think the rally is an attempt to influence the referendum.
  • Options

twitter.com/SkyHarriet/status/745640254636462080
    Very generous usage of the term "overhead"
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    Freggles said:

Fenster said:

RodCrosby said:

You laugh but any BBC vox pop in an urban area appears to be done at 1100am on a business day. I'm rarely sure that the elderly and unemployed cover the whole scope of opinons.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,139

Does Juncker actually want us to leave? Or is this just him assuming a Remain and defending his position in advance?
    https://twitter.com/JuliaHB1/status/745617756863725568

The words of a man who knows he has lost, and so isn't even bothering to pretend anymore.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,820
    edited June 2016

Charles said:

Apparently Vote Leave have flown a plane over the Jo Cox memorial in Trafalgar Square

Do you think they were actually flying over London vs buzzing the memorial?
    Given the general shittiness of Vote Leave, cf Gove, I put nothing past them
    errr wont that be wonderful Mikey Grove on Friday when you have the one big happy family reunion ? Pally backslapping and drinks at the bar etc.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,646

Farage must be seriously worried about a leave win, he has been trying to wreck their campaign all day...
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,503
    Freggles said:

Fenster said:

RodCrosby said:

The comments on this forum are so full of the number voting leave and if they are correct then leave have won. However, it mates were for leave and I was remain I doubt I would want to fall out with them. Tomorrow will show whether the leavers were leavers or shy remainers
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,995
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

EU referendum poll:

Remain are going to win in the UK but lose in England. That's what it looks like at the moment.
  • Options

Kay Burley of Sky saying to Boris latest poll says 70% of labour voters are remain and he seemed taken aback. Where is this poll as I haven't seen it

Would that be enough for Remain? If high turnout in the shires, which will be heavily for Leave, happens, Labour areas need to both turnout high and have overwhelming Remain stakes.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    edited June 2016
    Of course they don't, but how hard is it to show some respect? Even if they think the rally is an attempt to influence the referendum.

In this case, the people who are not showing respect are the people holding the memorial. Why get in the way of a democratic campaign?

There have already been umpteen tributes before the vote, why not hold the memorial after it?

Unless of course its a nakedly political attempt to hijack a sad death.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,835

Charles said:

errr wont that be wonderful Mikey Grove on Friday when you have the one big happy family reunion ? Pally backslapping and drinks at the bar etc.
    Nope. Leavers want Osborne out. Remainers want Gove and Patel sacked.

I'll be quite happy if Gove was made Northern Ireland Secretary
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737

Brilliant! Dogfight over London...

memo to the Cox martyrologists. Don't ever think you can take over one of the country's greatest democratic public spaces. You don't own it. You can borrow it... perhaps.
  • Options
    YellowSubmarineYellowSubmarine Posts: 2,740
    In defence of polling ...... < The polls called last year’s election wrong. Will they get the referendum right?

http://gu.com/p/4mdzx?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,205
    RoyalBlue said:

Can we stop with the shroud waveing about the plane? Remain were doing exactly the same in Central London earlier today.

Leave plane vs Remain Outrage Bus.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Kay Burley of Sky saying to Boris latest poll says 70% of labour voters are remain and he seemed taken aback. Where is this poll as I haven't seen it

Would that be enough for Remain? If high turnout in the shires, which will be heavily for Leave, happens, Labour areas need to both turnout high and have overwhelming Remain stakes.
    70% Labour for Remain would mean Remain win IMHO.

85% LD/SNP/Green for Remain
    70% Labour
    40% Conservative
    1% UKIP

= Remain 53-53%
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,442
    edited June 2016
    RobD said:

In the second pic the 2 aircraft are heading towards Trafalgar Square, and unless they made a sudden manoeuvre would have been overhead in about 3 seconds. It would take generosity of Warren Buffet proportions not to describe that as overhead.
  • Options
    Paul_BedfordshirePaul_Bedfordshire Posts: 3,632
    edited June 2016

That could have been a quarter of a mile away. Navy helecopters fly up and down over the Thames all the time. At that sort of altitude it looks right on top of you
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    rcs1000 said:

That is looking towards the Thames from Trafalgar Square. That being said, I suspect the pilot of the plane said something like "oooohhhh... there's a large crowd of people, let's fly near it"
    Remainers in panic as extra-special rally goes pear-shaped. HIghlights the politicalisation of the sad killing.
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    Jobabob said:

Fenster said:

RodCrosby said:

When, in my youth, I was employed by a company to conduct publicity voxpops I struggled to find any willing participant during the day who had a job. This was a severe challenge because I was supposed to come back with a mix of occupations. I hated doing them and found another job soon after. Getting a decent mix of ten voxpops during office hours often took several hours.
    Interesting post.

I wonder why they bother with vox pops - the news is quite start, rarely is there time to cover a complex story in any depth, and vox pops eat in considerably to the the presentation time. Would make much more sense to have one of those dreaded experts witter on for 30 seconds than a bunch of not-actually-random (and therefore unlikely to be truly representative) people.

I assumed vox pops were just cheaper, but you're making it sound like that isn't the overriding reason!
  • Options
    PaulyPauly Posts: 897

Charles said:

Do you want to end the union? That's how you do it, heh.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    SeanT said:

I don't think anyone gives a, um, flying f*ck any more. I couldn't believe, when I got back from Calabria, yesterday, that the news was still banging on about poor Jo Cox, this time it was her husband crying on TV.

It was a horrible murder, and a terrible crime, and those motherless kids deserve all the hugs in the universe, but, really, get a grip. Her death is now very clearly being exploited, indeed over-exploited, by the REMAINIANS.

A memorial tribute to her, in Trafalgar Square, THE DAY BEFORE THE VOTE??

Eww. Ugh. Pfff. Enuff. They can fly a zillion zeppelins for all I care. We have a nation's future to decide.

Her husband has an er "interesting" recent past. All for charity of course.
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    kle4 said:

Does Juncker actually want us to leave? Or is this just him assuming a Remain and defending his position in advance?
    https://twitter.com/JuliaHB1/status/745617756863725568

The words of a man who knows he has lost, and so isn't even bothering to pretend anymore.
    "Asked about the consequences of a Brexit vote, Mr Juncker made it clear there would be no scope for further negotiations over better terms to try to keep the UK on board... "Out is out"...

It is understood Mr Juncker was not referring to the prospect of future reforms in the event of the UK voting to remain in the EU, something Mr Cameron has insisted will continue."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36599300

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,024

Charles said:

I thought you liked Gove.

Anyway, I've just made may first bet ever with Paddy Power, who absurdly offered me to 3-1 for Brexit.
  • Options

RoyalBlue said:

The plane is almost certainly an accident by Leave. They won't have done it deliberately. Can we move on?
  • Options
    edited June 2016

RobD said:

In the second pic the 2 aircraft are heading towards Trafalgar Square, and unless they made a sudden manoeuvre would have been overhead in about 3 seconds. It would take generosity of Warren Buffet proportions not to describe that as overhead.
    Based on the assumption the first picture was taken first ;)

Also, I don't think there would be possible to get the angle on the first picture from Trafalgar square if it was taken *after* they had passed over.
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838

Charles said:

By the same token will NI after a Leave win go to a Remainer? Exciting job!
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,066

Freggles said:

Fenster said:

RodCrosby said:

The comments on this forum are so full of the number voting leave and if they are correct then leave have won. However, it mates were for leave and I was remain I doubt I would want to fall out with them. Tomorrow will show whether the leavers were leavers or shy remainers
    I know others on both sides disagree with me but I have never considered the anecdotal evidence as anything other than wishful thinking. There are so many factors playing into how people interact with someone in the street that I really don't think it is possible to draw any meaningful conclusions.

Obviously I would love to be wrong but I will only believe that Leave have won when the official call is made in Manchester
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115

Charles said:

Looking ahead, after Remain wins and the Eurozone collapses around Greek default, contagion takes affect and the working classes revolt on the streets of Lisbon, Rome and Paris, I suspect Gove may be able to correctly suggest he won the intellectual argument.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

A fine and lucid essay by a Galician professor (Jean Monnet chairholder!) asking the Brits to leave, for the sake of Britain, and for the future of democracy in Europe.

http://capx.co/please-leave-a-letter-to-the-uk-from-the-scorched-lands/

This has been my view throughout: us leaving the EU would be good for both us and the rest of the EU.

The biggest mistake that was made was not using this as an opportunity to change the EU into Eurozone plus Associate Members. Not two speed, but two destinations. One a political union, the other an economic one.

We would have taken Sweden and Denmark with us for sure, and possibly Poland.
    I tend to agree but the question is why did that not happen? Perhaps because Cameron didn't want it so he never asked. Perhaps because the EU would have refused it utterly. Who knows we will have to wait for the memoirs and the historians.

I spend a lot of time with EU politicians, and mostly they're obsessed with their own problems. They want to make the Eurozone work, within the limits imposed by their own electorates. Most of all, they want to get re-elected, and they don't want the train to come off the track.

They are certainly not doctrinaire. Schauble, and most senior German politicians, would rather Greece had chosen to leave the Euro than to stay. They thought Grexit would make the Eurozone stronger, rather than weaker, and would free up resources to use on countries that had gone through painful reform programmes.

If David Cameron had gone to Copenhagen and Stockholm and put together a non-Eurozone grouping, and then gone together to discuss with the Eurozone states about what could be done to enable: (a) the EZ to make the reforms it needs to survive, and (b) how non-EZ countries could opt out of the political union, I think it would have been welcomed rather than rebuffed. Simply, Schauble and Macron don't want to spend their time arguing with Cameron, they want to fix the problems they have.

So, why didn't this happen?

Because Cameron wanted to get the Euro "thing" done and behind him. Formally changing the EU treaties into Eurozone and Associate Member would have involved years of negotiating between the non-EZ countries, and a whole new treaty. 2020 would be a best case scenario, and 2022 might have been more likely.

If it is a narrow Remain, as seems likely, changing the treaties to enshrine the Associate Member status is still a necessity. We need to build an alliance of non-Eurozone countries. And I would hope that is what the sensible Leavers in the Conservative Party will have as their goal in such a situation.
    Thanks for that, Mr. Robert a very interesting and informative post.

• Options
    Sean_F said:

Charles said:

I thought you liked Gove.

Anyway, I've just made may first bet ever with Paddy Power, who absurdly offered me to 3-1 for Brexit.
    I liked Gove, but his Nick Griffin lite campaign has diminished him greatly.

I see he's going to apologise for his Nazi comments.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

EU referendum poll:

Remain are going to win in the UK but lose in England. That's what it looks like at the moment.
    Well, as a firm supporter of the U.K and an ENglishman, I will accept that.
  • Options

RobD said:

I suspect they changed course where the river did. At that altitude aircraft & choppers tend to fly directly over the river thames following all its bends and loops.

• Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Regional Increases in the Electoral Roll (since last May)

SE England.............. 63,598
    SW England............. 57,243
    East England........... 33,128
    East Midlands...........30,853
    Northern Ireland...... 24,190
    London.................... 16,459
    West Midlands.......... 13,914
    Yorks and Humber....11,514
    NE England................10,501
    NW England................. 7,505
    Wales......................... - 11,697
    Scotland..................... -112,634
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,380
    rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

70% Labour
    40% Conservative
    1% UKIP

= Remain 53-53%
    The unknown is turnout. If it's higher than a general election, which way will the new voters break?
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,897
    kle4 said:

That is backed up by Yougov. See here: https://yougov.co.uk/news/2016/06/21/yougov-referendum-model/.

Contrarily, the Conservatives are perhaps 60% Leave and essentially all UKIPers are Leave
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789

That could have been a quarter of a mile away. Navy helecopters fly up and down over the Thames all the time. At that sort of altitude it looks right on top of you
    Context is king and trying to compare this to aircraft on final approach to Heathrow is nonsense. Think about how it will look on TV media. Of course, that may be the tactic.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

70% Labour
    40% Conservative
    1% UKIP

= Remain 53-53%
    Remain 53-53% is either a very narrow margin of error, or a vote often electorate!
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,055
    Hanretty's 50-50 model implies

England: 48.4% remain.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

70% Labour
    40% Conservative
    1% UKIP

= Remain 53-53%
    The unknown is turnout. If it's higher than a general election, which way will the new voters break?
    I'd say 75/25 for Lib Dem, Green/SNP. That takes the lead down to 51% or so.
  • Options

Freggles said:

Fenster said:

RodCrosby said:

I know others on both sides disagree with me but I have never considered the anecdotal evidence as anything other than wishful thinking. There are so many factors playing into how people interact with someone in the street that I really don't think it is possible to draw any meaningful conclusions.

Obviously I would love to be wrong but I will only believe that Leave have won when the official call is made in Manchester
    Yes. Anecdotal evidence is no evidence.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

70% Labour
    40% Conservative
    1% UKIP

= Remain 53-53%
    Exactly, differential turnout is highly likely to favour Leave.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,061
    Jobabob said:

RoyalBlue said:

The plane is almost certainly an accident by Leave. They won't have done it deliberately. Can we move on?
    Agreed - its just so symptomatic of the poisonous nature of the referendum.
  • Options

Jobabob said:

Fenster said:

RodCrosby said:

Interesting post.

I wonder why they bother with vox pops - the news is quite start, rarely is there time to cover a complex story in any depth, and vox pops eat in considerably to the the presentation time. Would make much more sense to have one of those dreaded experts witter on for 30 seconds than a bunch of not-actually-random (and therefore unlikely to be truly representative) people.

I assumed vox pops were just cheaper, but you're making it sound like that isn't the overriding reason!
    It was years ago but certainly wasn't cheap from my experience –doing them was tortuous and very time-consuming, because my employer (quite reasonably) insisted on something that at least gave a nod to a representative sample. You would occasionally find someone normal who would speak to you but then when you told her she was going to be filmed she'd refuse. Most people refused point-blank as they were rushing from one place to the next. As I say, doing the requisite ten voxpops often took several hours and I found the job so frustrating I quickly looked for another job.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Charles said:

You're better than that.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

70% Labour
    40% Conservative
    1% UKIP

= Remain 53-53%
    It could be the 1% UKIP that clinches it :)
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,741
    Wanderer said:

Freggles said:

Fenster said:

RodCrosby said:

Yes. Anecdotal evidence is no evidence.
    anecdote
    ˈanɪkdəʊt
    noun
    a short amusing or interesting story about a real incident or person.
    an account regarded as unreliable or hearsay.
  • Options

Jobabob said:

RoyalBlue said:

Agreed. Well put.
  • Options

Jobabob said:

RoyalBlue said:

I'm with David Allen Green

Referendum Banning Act 2016

1. The holding of a referendum is hereby prohibited.

2. This Act can only be repealed by referendum.
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,548

Charles said:

Patel certainly, Mordaunt too. Absolutely no Government role for Boris.
    Gove, well, a greyer area - if he apologises for some of his wilder comments then he could have a role in the unifying process. Unifying the country on Friday looks like a huge challenge whatever the result.
    On the other hand, people like Grayling, Whittingdale, and Raab have conducted themselves with dignity - keep them in place, and put Leadsom straight into cabinet.
  • Options
    If you hear "One hundred" at the start of the Sunderland count, it means one side or the other is in the shit and turnout will be high.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I really have no idea but my instinct says that leave will win but we will see. However, what we do know is that the UK is horribly divided and will not be easily united. I believe the chaos following a leave vote will be mirrored throughout Europe and a coalition of all parties may need to be created to resolve with the EU the way forward and to obtain political consensus. Someone was saying that unwinding the laws would take decades and that the make up of the HOC and the Lords would bring everything to a grinding halt.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited June 2016

EU referendum poll:

Remain win on that poll.
  • Options

Charles said:

This remainer wants Osborne out
  • Options

Jobabob said:

RoyalBlue said:

I'm with David Allen Green

Referendum Banning Act 2016

1. The holding of a referendum is hereby prohibited.

2. This Act can only be repealed by referendum.
    What;s the punishment? The government of the day may feel the cost of the fine is justified. :p
  • Options
    matt said:

Context is king and trying to compare this to aircraft on final approach to Heathrow is nonsense. Think about how it will look on TV media. Of course, that may be the tactic.
    Im talking about light aircraft and military helicopters at low altitude. These fly directly over the river.

Commercial aircraft to heathrow are much higher and use different more direct paths. They dont look higher because they are much bigger.

• Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,329
    edited June 2016
    Anything could happen but Remain has to be firm favourite.

Remember what was said a few weeks ago - Leave needs to be 5% to 7% ahead to be confident of victory - to allow for polling station swingback + Northern Ireland. It's nowhere near that.

Today's Opinium is a tiny move to Leave but Survey Monkey move is more the other way. Survey Monkey may not be such an established pollster but did well at 2015 GE.

MORI slight uptick in Cameron satisfaction - in particular 69% of Con voters satisfied with him - when the pencil is hovering that may well point to more Con waverers sticking with him. If 69% satisfied (and only 27% dissatisfied) with Cameron - will that translate to 60% Leave among Con voters?
  • Options
    Wanderer said:

Sean_F said:

rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

70% Labour
    40% Conservative
    1% UKIP

= Remain 53-53%
    It could be the 1% UKIP that clinches it :)
    Funnily enough it could. That 1% is 39,000 votes.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    AndyJS said:

RodCrosby said:

Traditionally one of the places with the highest turnout in the country. 1992: 86.1%, 1997: 80.0%.
    What does the spreadsheet say for Ashby?
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Kay is being a complete nitwit on Sky - again.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,646
    It's funny, but whilst all the evidence points towards a knife edge result, my own gut feeling is that this is likely to be decided at least 55/45 one way or the other. From the beginning I have thought remain would take it, and this remains my view, but a 55/45 leave win now seems more likely to me than the sort of 51/49 result that the polls would suggest...
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,897
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

70% Labour
    40% Conservative
    1% UKIP

= Remain 53-53%
    What's unusual about this referendum is that older people and professionals (more highly educated) are voting in different directions. Usually it is the same way (GE Conservative; Indyref No) So it's a question of which of the two keenest voting categories turn out more.

I suspect they will more or less cancel each other out. Back to MOE...
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,995
    TGOHF said:

SeanT said:

I don't think anyone gives a, um, flying f*ck any more. I couldn't believe, when I got back from Calabria, yesterday, that the news was still banging on about poor Jo Cox, this time it was her husband crying on TV.

It was a horrible murder, and a terrible crime, and those motherless kids deserve all the hugs in the universe, but, really, get a grip. Her death is now very clearly being exploited, indeed over-exploited, by the REMAINIANS.

A memorial tribute to her, in Trafalgar Square, THE DAY BEFORE THE VOTE??

Eww. Ugh. Pfff. Enuff. They can fly a zillion zeppelins for all I care. We have a nation's future to decide.

Her husband has an er "interesting" recent past. All for charity of course.

What a profoundly unpleasant comment.

• Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,548
    rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

70% Labour
    40% Conservative
    1% UKIP

= Remain 53-53%
    No way that Lib Dems are 85% remain, I doubt the SNP are either - Greens probably are. Unless the Labour working class are turning out in droves to vote Leave as they never have before, I'd put LD and Lab support at similar levels - polling indicates this is a fair assumption.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    If the Celts do keep England in the EU, I'm doing a thread headlined 'The Celt man has the whip hand over the Englishman'
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,663

If the Celts do keep England in the UK, I'm doing a thread headlined 'The Celt man has the whip hand over the Englishman'

"We must be sad, literally sad!"
  • Options
    YellowSubmarineYellowSubmarine Posts: 2,740
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

A fine and lucid essay by a Galician professor (Jean Monnet chairholder!) asking the Brits to leave, for the sake of Britain, and for the future of democracy in Europe.

http://capx.co/please-leave-a-letter-to-the-uk-from-the-scorched-lands/

This has been my view throughout: us leaving the EU would be good for both us and the rest of the EU.

The biggest mistake that was made was not using this as an opportunity to change the EU into Eurozone plus Associate Members. Not two speed, but two destinations. One a political union, the other an economic one.

We would have taken Sweden and Denmark with us for sure, and possibly Poland.
    I tend to agree but the question is why did that not happen? Perhaps because Cameron didn't want it so he never asked. Perhaps because the EU would have refused it utterly. Who knows we will have to wait for the memoirs and the historians.

I spend a lot of time with EU politicians, and mostly they're obsessed with their own problems. They want to make the Eurozone work, within the limits imposed by their own electorates. Most of all, they want to get re-elected, and they don't want the train to come off the track.

They are certainly not doctrinaire. Schauble, and most senior German politicians, would rather Greece had chosen to leave the Euro than to stay. They thought Grexit would make the Eurozone stronger, rather than weaker, and would free up resources to use on countries that had gone through painful reform programmes.

If David Cameron had gone to Copenhagen and Stockholm and put together a non-Eurozone grouping, and then gone together to discuss with the Eurozone states about what could be done to enable: (a) the EZ to make the reforms it needs to survive, and (b) how non-EZ countries could opt out of the political union, I think it would have been welcomed rather than rebuffed. Simply, Schauble and Macron don't want to spend their time arguing with Cameron, they want to fix the problems they have.

So, why didn't this happen?

Because Cameron wanted to get the Euro "thing" done and behind him. Formally changing the EU treaties into Eurozone and Associate Member would have involved years of negotiating between the non-EZ countries, and a whole new treaty. 2020 would be a best case scenario, and 2022 might have been more likely.

If it is a narrow Remain, as seems likely, changing the treaties to enshrine the Associate Member status is still a necessity. We need to build an alliance of non-Eurozone countries. And I would hope that is what the sensible Leavers in the Conservative Party will have as their goal in such a situation.
    Excellent analysis
  • Options
    is flying over nelson's column fine though?
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,869
    Can both sides please cut out the moral grandstanding over Jo Cox please?

We've all got a heavy 36 hours coming up. Please don't make it any harder than it has to be.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Pulpstar said:

AndyJS said:

Pulpstar said:

AndyJS said:

Pulpstar said:

It's going to be brutal for "remain" if Newham is at 40% turnout.

My figures predict 74% Remain in Newham if England is 50/50.
    Do you have a link to your spreadsheet Andy ?
    This is just my personal effort so anyone placing bets may prefer to stick to Chris Hanretty's version. It uses census data which means population is used not electorates, but I've taken that into account when coming up with the formula. Thanks to PW who indirectly contributed to it. There are one or two which don't look right to me, such as Sandwell and Coventry but I've decided to continue using the same formula for the whole of England. It'll be interesting to compare it to the actual result on Friday:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hCtN3IY76azcr_6OiFPvZI0eXi_8JJqxT7d8vNhW2Do/edit#gid=0
    Wow thanks Andy - a great resource
    Fantastic.

Looks pretty similar to the Hanretty version?
    Looks like my figures for London are a lot higher for Remain than Hanretty's version and lower elsewhere.
    Good to see you back on PB!
  • Options
    Back to campaigning. We're having a great reception on the doorstep. Heh
  • Options
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:

Charles said:

Reports they have flown directly overheard multiple times.

Coincidence perhaps
    Like I said, do you actually for one second think they thought it would be a good idea to fly over the memorial?
    Do you think it is a good idea to have the memorial one day before the referendum?
  • Options

I'm sure you are.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Britain Elects:
    Westminster voting intention:
    CON: 34% (-1)
    LAB: 30% (-2)
    UKIP: 19% (-)
    LDEM: 6% (+2)
    GRN: 4% (-)
    (via Opinium / 20 - 22 Jun)
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

AndyJS said:

RodCrosby said:

Traditionally one of the places with the highest turnout in the country. 1992: 86.1%, 1997: 80.0%.
    Andy and Hanretty models both close for Leics NW: Around 45% needed for "remain" there.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,380

Are you wearing your Maggie European sweater?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Clarification on fly past at #JoCox memorial event -- not an official #voteleave banner. Organised by Brexiteer Britten Norman
  • Options

Can both sides please cut out the moral grandstanding over Jo Cox please?

We've all got a heavy 36 hours coming up. Please don't make it any harder than it has to be.

It's made me feel quite ill.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    rcs1000 said:

I very much doubt it. It costs a lot of time and money to get a pilots licence. Breaking air traffic control regulations and CAA regulations, and the criminal law is is damn fast way of losing that licence. Professional pilots just don't do it.

It looks to me like those aeroplanes are single engine jobs. It has been a good few years but there are serious height restrictions about flying single engine aeroplanes over built up areas and for london that basically means you can fly up and down the Thames but that is it. There will also be further restrictions because of central London being the flight path into Heathrow. Furthermore those aeroplanes would have been under positive control by the CAA.

So I think the idea that they were flying over Trafalgar Square is a complete nonsense.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    RodCrosby said:

AndyJS said:

RodCrosby said:

NW Leicestershire — my figures: Remain 44% if England 50/50. Chris Hanretty has 45% if UK votes 50/50.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Do you think it is a good idea to have the memorial one day before the referendum?

Are you suggesting there should be an official birthday on a different date, like The Queen?
  • Options
    Britain Elects:
    46% of Britons expect the UK will tomorrow vote to Remain, 27% expect a vote to Leave.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,055
    This is almost as interesting as the practice Friday ahead of a race.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,627
    MikeL said:

Britain Elects:

But doesn't give numbers for:

OLD CON
    OLD LAB
    NEW LABCON
    UKIP
    LDEM
    GRN

post Brexit.
  • Options
    McLarenMcLaren Posts: 4
    Alistair said:

EU referendum poll:

Remain win on that poll.
    Agreed, but FWIW - if you look at the 10/10 certain to votes (on an implied 77% turnout): 47.53% Remain vs 52.47% Leave, with heavy rain and thunderstorms forecast over London after work tomorrow. It could come down to Gibraltar...! ;-o
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,055
    Mr. McLaren, welcome to pb.com.

I hope your F1 team improves soon.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Britain Elects:

Leave wins in those:
    100% UKIP = 19%
    60% Tories = 20%
    40% Labour = 12%
    33% Lib Dems = 2%
    25% Greens = 1%

54% Leave.

• Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

70% Labour
    40% Conservative
    1% UKIP

= Remain 53-53%
    I thought Comres said affluence is going to be more important than age, just slightly.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713
    MikeL said:

Britain Elects:

How the feck are the tories remaining ahead?

Oh wait, this is Corbyn leading.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,627

Are you wearing your Maggie European sweater?
    I wonder whether the picture of Leadsom holding up that sweater on DP is doing the rounds yet?
This discussion has been closed.