Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Boost for Farage in the Ipsos satisfaction ratings on the d

Comments

• Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    AndyJS said:

The only district council in the West Midlands likely to vote Remain convincingly is Warwick, which also includes Leamington Spa and Kenilworth. If it isn't an easy win for Remain (at least 55%) they'll probably be in trouble. (I spent most of yesterday there, incidentally). The Press Association gives an estimated declaration time of 2am.

http://election.pressassociation.com/Declaration_times/eu_ref_2016_by_name.php

Hi Andy, how r u voting? What's ur prediction for Warwick?
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    edited June 2016
    Alistair said:

I still have a Yes poster up in my window. Also I will be a whole £3.52 richer regardless of the result on Friday due to my astute high value trading.

How much per hour does you GBP 3.52 work out at? :) Isn't there a minimum wage?
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,783

@Tissue_Price I do not share your relative confidence. If the public is to be given a bait-and-switch, offered closed borders but given freedom of movement, the anger is going to be volcanic.

Agree. If it's LEAVE better Article 50 and get on with it than Boris "revised deal". Faith in democracy is more important than the EU.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited June 2016
    As if anybody believes there will be further renegotiations / concessions if we stay. REMAIN = more EU integration.

If Cameron was going to get the EU to budge at all, he would have either got it during making "the deal" or with the polls so close they would have manage to get some sort of vow. The fact he can't even roll out a well the EU have agree to look again at x, y and z kinda of BS, shows there is no chance of any change to the course of direction.

Out is Out and Remain is full stream ahead. A vote for genuine status quo or even better a bit of reverse of powers would have won his hands down.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,919

@Tissue_Price I do not share your relative confidence. If the public is to be given a bait-and-switch, offered closed borders but given freedom of movement, the anger is going to be volcanic.

I think there are different levels of "Freedom of Movement" which are not being discussed, but then this hasn't really been a very nuanced campaign.

The situation whereby someone can turn up in London with their family, register as a part time Big Issue seller and be provided with housing benefit, tax credits, free healthcare and schooling is unsustainable when extended to 500m people.

Allowing anyone from the EU to move here provided they can support themselves would restrict immigration to young singles and high earner families, this is probably what Leave will look like in practice.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,480

tyson said:

@Richard Nabavi
    Just to fill you in with modern culture, Morrissey is someone who professes to sing and once headed up a band called the Smiths, unlike John Barnes who used to kick a football around for a living.

Thanks. I'd heard of Morrissey although not the Smiths. I take it that I needn't trouble myself to listen to his music, let alone his political views?
    Richard, a summary: Morrissey is one of the greatest songwriters of the last 100 years. I personally love the Smiths (who only existed for four years – 1983 to 1987 – without really achieving major commercial success, but who subsequently sold more albums than anyone else for about ten years or so, and are still arguably the second most influential British band after the Beatles). He does, however, confuse the ability to turn a neat phrase – at which he is unquestionably very, very good – with the ability to think through an argument – at which he is pretty poor.
    He is a fascinating character. By most accounts, including his own, he is not exactly comfortable with other people; yet he is one of those personalities who people will latch onto and follow.
    His autobiography is also very interesting, both as a life history and a study in bitterness: he seems to bear a grudge against almost everyone, and devotes over 100 pages to the court case in the 90s over how the royalties from the Smiths should be divided.
    You should never fear finding yourself on the opposite side of an argument from Morrissey; he seems almost to go out of his way to disagree with people.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,711

taffys said:

Juncker rubbishing Dave's matey 'I'll sort the EU' gambit in the Sun yesterday.

No more negotiation. No more reform.

You need to add in 'if we leave' - he is not talking about a post remain position
    If we remain their wont be any reform full stop.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    kjohnw said:

So what music will we be playing on Friday, the Great Escape or Ode to Joy? :)

I'm in with the In Crowd.
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838
    Any sightings of Trump? Aren't we expecting a contribution from him?
  • Options

kjohnw said:

I'm in with the In Crowd.
    Safe European Home
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    edited June 2016
    chestnut said:

That Dagenham poll is roughly consistent with 100% UKIP, 60% Tory, 40% Labour voting leave or 50% Tory, 45% Labour.

But most recent polls have not been showing anywhere near 40℅ for leave amongst Labour voters. Dagenham is not representative. I believe the Dagenham constituency almost had a plurity voting for Zac!
  • Options
    McLarenMcLaren Posts: 4
    Hello, all - has anyone spotted the run on LEAVE on Betfair...? Odds haven't moved (4.1) as so much staked at current position, but up until a few moments ago, c.£19k bet on Brexit in the last 30-odd minutes...Opinium leak before 4:30pm, or wishful thinking on my part...?!
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    Alistair said:

I still have a Yes poster up in my window. Also I will be a whole £3.52 richer regardless of the result on Friday due to my astute high value trading.

Would that be from Close to the Edge or Tales from Topographical Oceans?

:grin:
  • Options
    Or if we vote out, the Hard Times Of England https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBjkjb8vaMg
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    Wanderer said:

He's about to monster Clinton in a speech in a few minutes...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWJve954n2c
  • Options
    JennyFreemanJennyFreeman Posts: 488
    Wanderer said:

he is coming to the uk on the 24th is he not?
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,758
    Sandpit said:

I think there are different levels of "Freedom of Movement" which are not being discussed, but then this hasn't really been a very nuanced campaign.

The situation whereby someone can turn up in London with their family, register as a part time Big Issue seller and be provided with housing benefit, tax credits, free healthcare and schooling is unsustainable when extended to 500m people.

Allowing anyone from the EU to move here provided they can support themselves would restrict immigration to young singles and high earner families, this is probably what Leave will look like in practice.
    In principle this is dealt with by David Cameron's pre-referendum negotiations. Undoubtedly the devil is in the detail, but in practice the difference between Remain and Leave on your scenario may not be great.

• Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,340
    RobD said:

taffys said:

Juncker rubbishing Dave's matey 'I'll sort the EU' gambit in the Sun yesterday.

No more negotiation. No more reform.

You need to add in 'if we leave' - he is not talking about a post remain position
    If they won't budge when one of their biggest members is on the brink of leaving, they won't budge ever! Although I suspect it is all talk before the vote.
    At this stage he has no choice to say out is out. Whether we leave or remain the EU is going to change, the genie is out of the bottle. Leavers here who say that's it if we vote remain cannot afford to do anything else as it would weaken their case. If you follow this forum leave are home and dry, and they may well be, but it does seem that leave are taking to leave and convincing themselves
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,735
    For the benefit of anyone that didn't see my request this morning - any tips for Kempton Park this evening? Am on a works evening out and would appreciate something more tangible to bet on than 'go with the most comedic name'... Cheers.
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312

tyson said:

@Richard Nabavi
    Just to fill you in with modern culture, Morrissey is someone who professes to sing and once headed up a band called the Smiths, unlike John Barnes who used to kick a football around for a living.

Thanks. I'd heard of Morrissey although not the Smiths. I take it that I needn't trouble myself to listen to his music, let alone his political views?
    Modern culture - Morrissey, John Barnes ????
  • Options
    Just a thought but what happens if the EU comes out with a 'vow' early tomorrow morning? How will that be reported?
  • Options
    shiney2shiney2 Posts: 672

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/content/dam/news/2016/06/22/ReferendumMajorCameron-large_trans++eo_i_u9APj8RuoebjoAHt0k9u7HhRJvuo-ZLenGRumA.jpg

Dave&Harriet hear John's views..

“The often unspoken fear of many people – we should address it honestly and clearly and examine it--is that Europe might develop into a super-state, an overarching Government with no national veto, no control over our own borders, prescriptive decisions, a single currency imposed and the nation state retreating to a wholly subordinate role.

“That fear exists out there... and we should recognise the fact that it exists... I for one would find such a Europe wholly unacceptable for this country. I do not believe that it is remotely likely, but, if that were to be the future, it would not be a future that would be suitable for this country.”

[Hansard Official Report, 1 March 1995; Vol. 255, c. 1062.]

Oops..
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838

Wanderer said:

Oh, I thought he was coming before the vote.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Just one awkward aspect to this idea of "freedom of movement lite" coupled with access to the single market: this would need to be negotiated with the rest of the EU, and there isn't anything other than wishful thinking to think that they would go for it as a deal.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,951
    Just taken Robert's advice and bought a couple of cases of cheap en primeur Claret. Thanks for the tip!
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    shiney2 said:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/content/dam/news/2016/06/22/ReferendumMajorCameron-large_trans++eo_i_u9APj8RuoebjoAHt0k9u7HhRJvuo-ZLenGRumA.jpg

Dave&Harriet hear John's views..

“The often unspoken fear of many people – we should address it honestly and clearly and examine it--is that Europe might develop into a super-state, an overarching Government with no national veto, no control over our own borders, prescriptive decisions, a single currency imposed and the nation state retreating to a wholly subordinate role.

“That fear exists out there... and we should recognise the fact that it exists... I for one would find such a Europe wholly unacceptable for this country. I do not believe that it is remotely likely, but, if that were to be the future, it would not be a future that would be suitable for this country.”

[Hansard Official Report, 1 March 1995; Vol. 255, c. 1062.]

Oops..

Well that's just it, isn't it. If you think the EU is in that place, or heading inexorably towards it, you will back Leave. If not you will likely back Remain.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    SkyNews
    Nearly half of David Cameron's closest business advisers decline to sign letter backing UK's EU membership https://t.co/05ihSWkl1z
  • Options
    chrisoxonchrisoxon Posts: 204
    Jonathan said:
    Comres is the only pollster predicting a higher than GE turnout. Surely if this is the election where young voters are going to participate then we should be expecting a higher than average turnout as I can't see why any of the groups that typically vote at a GE are suddenly going to have a slump in turnout.

You also have to think about the electors in safe seats (particularly Labour ones) who don't usually bother to vote because it won't affect the result. Will be see a higher turnout in those seats, and thus bumping up turnout even further?
  • Options
    JennyFreemanJennyFreeman Posts: 488
    Wanderer said:

Wanderer said:

Oh, I thought he was coming before the vote.
    no 24th http://www.theatlantic.com/news/archive/2016/06/trumps-uk-visit/485075/
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    kjohnw said:

Back in the EUSSR ?
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    SeanT said:

The traditional poll of pollsters

https://www.buzzfeed.com/albertonardelli/this-is-how-britains-polling-bosses-think-the-eu-referendum?utm_term=.bm5R8Jr2dJ#.ndGkWGE1gG

Verdict: narrow REMAIN win - but nobody is remotely sure. Hope that helps.

Comedy Results are the only one to say above GE level turnout. Anyone remember if their polling gave particularly high figures?
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,892
    My thoughts too. Worth reading for all Remainers. Leavers won't see it.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,130
    SeanT said:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/albertonardelli/this-is-how-britains-polling-bosses-think-the-eu-referendum?utm_term=.bm5R8Jr2dJ#.ndGkWGE1gG

If it is a narrow Remain win but England vote Leave - uggghhh! England - where the vast bulk of Dave's MPs come from. Messy.....
  • Options
    Cookie said:

tyson said:

@Richard Nabavi

Richard, a summary: Morrissey is one of the greatest songwriters of the last 100 years. I personally love the Smiths (who only existed for four years – 1983 to 1987 – without really achieving major commercial success, but who subsequently sold more albums than anyone else for about ten years or so, and are still arguably the second most influential British band after the Beatles). He does, however, confuse the ability to turn a neat phrase – at which he is unquestionably very, very good – with the ability to think through an argument – at which he is pretty poor.
    He is a fascinating character. By most accounts, including his own, he is not exactly comfortable with other people; yet he is one of those personalities who people will latch onto and follow.
    His autobiography is also very interesting, both as a life history and a study in bitterness: he seems to bear a grudge against almost everyone, and devotes over 100 pages to the court case in the 90s over how the royalties from the Smiths should be divided.
    You should never fear finding yourself on the opposite side of an argument from Morrissey; he seems almost to go out of his way to disagree with people.
    You should try getting out more
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,942

SeanT said:

If it is a narrow Remain win but England vote Leave - uggghhh! England - where the vast bulk of Dave's MPs come from. Messy.....
    England Brexit is at 5-2 on Betfair. It is likely as goes England so goes the UK though.
  • Options
    @brokenwheel If most of the pollsters are right, Sporting Index is a clear sell on turnout at 70.

Actually, I think turnout is going to be around the 70% mark, but it would be remiss of me not to note the betting opportunity for those who agree with the majority of the pollsters.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,894
    SeanT said:

Well, at least they're not all obviously herding.

I think chrisoxon makes a good point re turnout. If the youngsters are going to swing this, turnout would probably be higher than GE, if that is not expected, well...
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    Blue_rog said:

Just a thought but what happens if the EU comes out with a 'vow' early tomorrow morning? How will that be reported?

It will be by the newspapers, but not by the broadcast media?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,894
    Blue_rog said:

Sky writing.
  • Options
    Does anyone know how to post pictures?
  • Options
    McLaren said:

Hello, all - has anyone spotted the run on LEAVE on Betfair...? Odds haven't moved (4.1) as so much staked at current position, but up until a few moments ago, c.£19k bet on Brexit in the last 30-odd minutes...Opinium leak before 4:30pm, or wishful thinking on my part...?!

Stock market rising - up 0 .78%
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    AndyJS said:

The only district council in the West Midlands likely to vote Remain convincingly is Warwick, which also includes Leamington Spa and Kenilworth. If it isn't an easy win for Remain (at least 55%) they'll probably be in trouble. (I spent most of yesterday there, incidentally). The Press Association gives an estimated declaration time of 2am.

That's my home turf. Very little activity throughout the campaign. Very few posters, very few leaflets. Most of the students have gone home. I'd expect a tight Remain win, thanks to Leamington and Kenilworth. I'd expect Warwick itself to be Leave.

• Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Possibly a value bet: turnout 60-65% is 9 with Betfair.

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/#/politics/market/1.123293871
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,969
    Since Richard N is on the board at the moment I am after some help. (anyone else do feel free to jump in as well)

I know that you and I agree on the basic position that freedom of movement in the EEA and in the EU is the same. I understand there are some differences in terms of access to benefits but otherwise I thought the rules were identical.

Over the last couple of weeks I have seen a series of references to something I had never heard of before - ma specific brake on freedom of movement that can be invoked by EFTA members. I have never heard of this before the last couple of weeks and can find no documentary evidence to support it. (I have tried)

I am assuming this is a different process to the emergency brake which was proposed as part of Cameron's negotiations since that would not apply after we left the EU anyway even if we joined EFTA.

DO you have any idea at all where this has come from?
  • Options
    DanSmithDanSmith Posts: 1,215
    chrisoxon said:

Jonathan said:
    Comres is the only pollster predicting a higher than GE turnout. Surely if this is the election where young voters are going to participate then we should be expecting a higher than average turnout as I can't see why any of the groups that typically vote at a GE are suddenly going to have a slump in turnout.

You also have to think about the electors in safe seats (particularly Labour ones) who don't usually bother to vote because it won't affect the result. Will be see a higher turnout in those seats, and thus bumping up turnout even further?
    Young voter turnout was low in the Scottish referendum. (excluding 16-17 year olds).
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039

Just one awkward aspect to this idea of "freedom of movement lite" coupled with access to the single market: this would need to be negotiated with the rest of the EU, and there isn't anything other than wishful thinking to think that they would go for it as a deal.

We'd have to negotiate a free trade deal (or move towards one in steps, if they're too worried about contagion to give us that straight away).

I'd imagine both sides would determine their rules for working visas / waivers etc. independently, based on their own self-interest.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited June 2016
    chrisoxon said:

Jonathan said:

Are the young going to participate any more than a GE? I can honestly say I've seen zero evidence of that from the conversations I've had.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,031

Since Richard N is on the board at the moment I am after some help. (anyone else do feel free to jump in as well)

I know that you and I agree on the basic position that freedom of movement in the EEA and in the EU is the same. I understand there are some differences in terms of access to benefits but otherwise I thought the rules were identical.

Over the last couple of weeks I have seen a series of references to something I had never heard of before - ma specific brake on freedom of movement that can be invoked by EFTA members. I have never heard of this before the last couple of weeks and can find no documentary evidence to support it. (I have tried)

I am assuming this is a different process to the emergency brake which was proposed as part of Cameron's negotiations since that would not apply after we left the EU anyway even if we joined EFTA.

It's Article 112 and 113 of the EEA agreement.

http://www.efta.int/media/documents/legal-texts/eea/the-eea-agreement/Main Text of the Agreement/EEAagreement.pdf
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Sandpit said:

In principle this is dealt with by David Cameron's pre-referendum negotiations. Undoubtedly the devil is in the detail, but in practice the difference between Remain and Leave on your scenario may not be great.
    My scenario is pretty much the EEA default, with freedom of movement in theory but not bound by the non-discrimination conditions of the EU. It's probably one of those compromises that pleases no-one in theory but in practice does the job it's designed to do.

The detail of the PM's negotiations appear to be that he can apply for a four-year exemption from non-discrimination, at the behest of one of the EU entities, which in year 5 would revert back to the status quo ante. Very different from saying that for the first four years someone is here, they have no recourse to state funds, and the power is in the gift of others in Brussles rather than with Parliament.

Above all, the politicians need to be honest with the electorate on issues such as immigration. The reason this referendum is so close, is that millions of people think that no-one represents them - the terrible negative campaign has no doubt only reinforced those views.
  • Options
    @Tissue_Price I don't see how you can do this in steps. Can you describe to me the intermediate steps you imagine?
  • Options
    Blue_rog said:

You need to upload them somewhere (https://postimage.org/), and then you insert an img tag in your text.

• Options
    Blue_rog said:

Once the polls are open they can't say anything political on the TV or radio. It'll be "Look at Dave and the lovely Samantha going to the polling station in Witney" etc.

Any "Vow" needs to be today.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

I imagine it's based on Articles 112-3 of the EEA Agreement, which in principle does provide a mechanism, but I suspect it's an over-enthusiastic interpretation. I don't know of any other mechanism.
  • Options
    SPMLSPML Posts: 17
    There is a 50 deep queue at the currency exchange on Fleet Street. The City is already panicing re the result! Makes me wonder if the people know already that leave have won. BTW, going on the experts on this site, from Paul, Plato, MarqueeMark, SouthamObserver, chesnut et al it is going to be a huge leave win.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Blue_rog said:

Once the polls are open they can't say anything political on the TV or radio. It'll be "Look at Dave and the lovely Samantha going to the polling station in Witney" etc.

Having discussed this with M Macron last week, there won't be a vow, because the EU is more concerned with their own problems!
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Sandpit said:

Blue_rog said:

We've had it and basically it is 'if you vote out you are out' - Juncker's today
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

SkyNews
    Nearly half of David Cameron's closest business advisers decline to sign letter backing UK's EU membership https://t.co/05ihSWkl1z

Is there any research on how many of these might find it "useful" to have been chums with DC if we REMAIN with no real downside if we LEAVE.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

SeanT said:

England Brexit is at 5-2 on Betfair. It is likely as goes England so goes the UK though.
    Remain with England Brexit is a narrow band for sure. But this vote is close.

Possibly!
  • Options

They are talking about articles 112 and 113 of the EEA agreement which allow safeguards. They think these can be triggered at will and haven't read the rest of the agreement eg article 111 which explains the measures will be put into dispute if they are not agreed by the parties.
  • Options
    And for something more lighthearted:

"The English Football team won't be voting in the Referendum...

...They can't find the box, let alone put a cross into it"
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,526
    edited June 2016
    Scott_P said:

kjohnw said:

Back in the EUSSR ?
    In the event of a Leave victory I'm working in the lyrics of Wham!'s Freedom into a thread header.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

SkyNews

This is what it looks like when power ebbs away....
  • Options

I imagine it's based on Articles 112-3 of the EEA Agreement, which in principle does provide a mechanism, but I suspect it's an over-enthusiastic interpretation. I don't know of any other mechanism.
    Ta. I never read it in that way. I always assumed it was something to do with a serious event where all sides agreed it was necessary for security or health.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

They are talking about articles 112 and 113 of the EEA agreement which allow safeguards. They think these can be triggered at will and haven't read the rest of the agreement eg article 111 which explains the measures will be put into dispute if they are not agreed by the parties.
    Thanks FF. I agree with you.
  • Options
    SPML said:

There is a 50 deep queue at the currency exchange on Fleet Street. The City is already panicing re the result! Makes me wonder if the people know already that leave have won. BTW, going on the experts on this site, from Paul, Plato, MarqueeMark, SouthamObserver, chesnut et al it is going to be a huge leave win.

It could be a huge Leave win.

Or it could be a big Remain win.

Nobody really knows.

My anecdote is that at least 85% of the people I know and work with are for Remain. Where I live (NW3) I see lots of Remain campaigners and posters.

But I know that Hampstead is utterly unrepresentative (not least because it's so full of American investment bankers that there are practically no Brits allowed to vote in the referendum).

• Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited June 2016

AndyJS said:

That's my home turf. Very little activity throughout the campaign. Very few posters, very few leaflets. Most of the students have gone home. I'd expect a tight Remain win, thanks to Leamington and Kenilworth. I'd expect Warwick itself to be Leave.

It does emphasise how much the Remain camp is relying on voters in the big cities to turn out when their best district council area in one of the regions like Warwick is likely to be close. Take the South West for example: where are Remain confident of winning apart from Bristol, Bath and Exeter?
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Remain 57.6%, Leave 42.4% for a 50-50 result nationwide in the Warwick, Leam, Kenilworth area.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

Ta. I never read it in that way. I always assumed it was something to do with a serious event where all sides agreed it was necessary for security or health.

Yes, I think your interpretation is correct.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Blue_rog said:

You need to upload them somewhere (https://postimage.org/), and then you insert an img tag in your text.

Thanks. If I knew more about it I'd try
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    SPML said:

I am no expert but as I have said I am the eternal pessimist so am expecting Remain to win. Even though I have been out campaigning and leafletting for weeks it has been in an area which is known to be strongly Leave so I have no handle at all on what the real battlefields are like.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    SPML said:

They can get currency at very reasonable rates close to there.
  • Options
    chrisoxonchrisoxon Posts: 204

chrisoxon said:

Jonathan said:

Are the young going to participate any more than a GE? I can honestly say I've seen zero evidence of that from the conversations I've had.
    I agree. This is why I think leave are going to win - remain need the youth vote enmasse in order to get over the line.
  • Options
    Lennon said:

They didn't register for postal votes because they thought they'd all be home by now?
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039

@Tissue_Price I don't see how you can do this in steps. Can you describe to me the intermediate steps you imagine?

The free trade deal? Via progressively lower tariffs and sectors being made tariff-free, I guess - an ongoing display of good faith. But I'd honestly expect us to be able to negotiate free trade straight up given the size of our market.
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    FF43 said:

I can't see how the wording of Article 112 could apply to a migrating worker type issue.

"If serious economic, societal or environmental difficulties of a sectorial or regional nature liable to persist are arising, a Contracting Party may unilaterally take appropriate measures under the conditions and procedures laid down in Article 113.
    2. Such safeguard measures shall be restricted with regard to their scope and duration to what is strictly necessary in order to remedy the situation. Priority shall be given to such measures as will least disturb the functioning of this Agreement."
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,007

Scott_P said:

kjohnw said:

Back in the EUSSR ?
    In the event of a Leave victory I'm working in the lyrics of Wham!'s Freedom into a thread header.
    I take it the lyrics to George Michael's Faith will follow the following week...
  • Options
    SPML said:

It'll be 52:48 in favour of Leave. But, Jaysus, I am no expert!!

• Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Frank Field:

"We've run a campaign, which if you wanted to destroy and break the Labour party, you couldn't have devised a better one. We know that 14% - maybe more of our vote - will vote to leave. It's crucial they felt that they are proper Labour voters, that they are not renegades and have failed some test and are therefore not members of the Labour party. Because if they felt that, then woe betide what's going to happen to us at the next election in 2020."

Does he mean 14% from the 30% who voted Labour in 2015?
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    As for the extra time vow tomorrow...more chance of an announcement that Lord Lucan, Elvis and Shergar have all been found alive and well and are announcing a back from the grave tour.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

AndyJS said:

Remain 57.6%, Leave 42.4% for a 50-50 result nationwide in the Warwick, Leam, Kenilworth area.

Hmmm.

• Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited June 2016
    MTimT said:

Alistair said:

How much per hour does you GBP 3.52 work out at? :) Isn't there a minimum wage?
    I have left the referendum well alone. I stuck £50 on after that blitz of leave leads and the price was ludicrously long and then cashed out when the price rebounded. About 1 minutes work all in so £200 an hour!
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Blue_rog said:

We've had it and basically it is 'if you vote out you are out' - Juncker's today
    Legally I believe our vote is "advisory" although I'm not suggesting that any UK politician would ever fail to meet a promise.
  • Options

Yes, I think your interpretation is correct.
    I think Iceland did trigger article 112 on freedom of movement along with capital controls following their 2008 meltdown. In that case the restrictions were agreed.

The purpose of the mechanism is to allow you to take quick action in response to emergency situations and justify it afterwards. It's not designed as a convenient opt out to basic principles in the agreement that you would prefer not to have to keep to.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

SPML said:

Nobody really knows.

My anecdote is that at least 85% of the people I know and work with are for Remain. Where I live (NW3) I see lots of Remain campaigners and posters.

But I know that Hampstead is utterly unrepresentative (not least because it's so full of American investment bankers that there are practically no Brits allowed to vote in the referendum).

The pound euro has done well this week and all my family have bought our holiday euros this week at between 1.25 and 1.27 as a hedge against a 15-20% fall on Friday. As the polls are close why would you risk a large fall when you are probably going on holiday within a month or so and can hedge against it
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

SPML said:

Nobody really knows.

Remain par score of 68% for Camden.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    chestnut said:

Frank Field:

"We've run a campaign, which if you wanted to destroy and break the Labour party, you couldn't have devised a better one. We know that 14% - maybe more of our vote - will vote to leave. It's crucial they felt that they are proper Labour voters, that they are not renegades and have failed some test and are therefore not members of the Labour party. Because if they felt that, then woe betide what's going to happen to us at the next election in 2020."

Presumably he means 14pp, not 14pc?

i.e. the 30 will split 14-16, not (30*0.14) - (30*0.86)
  • Options
    Lennon said:

Is this supposed to be more lighthearted?
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

SkyNews

This is what it looks like when power ebbs away....
    There is a man standing next to a blue police box murmuring

"Don't you think he looks tired"
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

SPML said:

Nobody really knows.

Remain par score of 68% for Camden.
    Where are you getting your 'Leave/Remain' par scores from and do you have them for the whole country?
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    BBC World News have Ros Atkins (?) at a pub in Tunbridge Wells run by a Frenchman, who said if he had a vote he'd vote Leave.

Vive les grenouilles!
  • Options
    DanSmithDanSmith Posts: 1,215
    chestnut said:

Frank Field:

Forty and fourteen sound very similar when spoken verbally.
  • Options
    @TSE Rather than Wham's Freedom, you might try George Michael's Freedom:

"All you've got to do
    Is take these lies and make them true somehow"
  • Options
    Blue_rog said:

rcs1000 said:

Blue_rog said:

Thanks. If I knew more about it I'd try
    Hit "quote" to this comment then look at the reply from @rcs1000 above. Copy and paste his link then edit the bit between the " " quotes with your link and replace the words "img tag" with your description. Hope that makes sense. :)
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    So after Leave wins and in 5 years time immigration is still at roughly the same levels what happens then?
  • Options
    second test
    Yes
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789

SPML said:

It'll be 52:48 in favour of Leave. But, Jaysus, I am no expert!!

That list of names brings new colour to the word, "expert".
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

BBC World News have Ros Atkins (?) at a pub in Tunbridge Wells run by a Frenchman, who said if he had a vote he'd vote Leave.

Vive les grenouilles!

What you mean he didn't accidentally on purpose get sent a polling card? Must have been one of the unlucky few.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    Charles said:

chestnut said:

Frank Field:

Presumably he means 14pp, not 14pc?

i.e. the 30 will split 14-16, not (30*0.14) - (30*0.86)
    If half of Labour voters vote Leave, surely it is all over?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,844
    edited June 2016
    Anecdote Alert - My 90 year old grandmother, who has been undecided but edging towards REMAIN has made her mind up and she's going for LEAVE!

She say's what made up her mind was all the experts warning about disaster after Brexit were the same experts that said we'd got to join the Euro.

And she thought "Boris was marvelous" last night! ;)
This discussion has been closed.